Limbaugh: Hurricane hype part of “the reelection effort”

posted at 4:05 pm on August 29, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Leave it to Limbaugh to not mince words. The radio host today sounded off about the overpowering media hype that preceded Hurricane Irene:

“It was a rainstorm and there was a lot of flooding and there were deaths associated with it,” Limbaugh said. “But they hype — folks, I’ll tell you what this was, was a lesson.

“If you pay any attention to this, they hype — the desire for chaos, I mean, literally — the media desire for chaos was a great learning tool. This is a great illustration of how all of the rest of the media in news, in sports, has templates and narratives and exaggerates beyond reality creating fear, so as to create interest. …

“Folks, it’s a national embarrassment, the hype over this hurricane,” he said. “What we have with the media — I’m going to tell you something else — Obama comes off of vacation to lead his nation to the response of Hurricane Irene, to draw contrast with Bush and Katrina. [It's] part of the re-election effort.”

As I’ve written before, the media’s astonishingly focused attention on Irene raised questions in my mind, as well. If a newspaper uses “end of the world” font on an insignificant story, what will it use when the world actually does end?

But this will be my last post belaboring that point. What matters now is not whether the media overhyped Hurricane Irene in advance but how to recover from whatever damage was done so we can move on to the more persistent problems facing the nation. FEMA reports that more than 5 million people are still without power, the storm has claimed 29 lives to date and one flooded New Jersey house actually exploded. Time for neighbor to help neighbor — and for PEPCO to put a little pep in its power.

Comments

Rush is too big for this blog

William Amos on August 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I gotta say, I was thinking the same thing. Obama desperately needs something, anything, to convince the electorate that he is at least marginally competent. This could have been it.

DJ Rick on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Hurricane Irene: I question the timing.

The Chewbacca Defense on August 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I heard Fox News was one of the worst offenders. Is this true?

blink on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Im sure they couldnt get Shemp Smith to shut up about it.

William Amos on August 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM

El Rushbo knocks it out of the park again!

TheQuestion on August 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Thanks Rush for making the complex understandable.

itsspideyman on August 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Obama in the Command Center was a bit over the top.

It was right out of Hollywood Central Casting.

President Obama trying to look Presidential.

portlandon on August 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I’m glad Irene turned out to be a weak Cat one by the time she came and hung out with us on Long Island. Been surveying the effects the last two days. If she was a Cat two or a strong Cat one, the flooding would have been quite bad, and the damage quite bad.

Dodged a big bullet. Maybe that luck will carry on to the election

blatantblue on August 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM

This will be proven out if we see some skewed poll results of a sudden rebound in President Downgrade’s approval numbers.

Chip on August 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Rush is too big for this blog
William Amos on August 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Cue the “I’m to sexy” music.

Count to 10 on August 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Oh please… you just noticed the media obsessing over a large hurricane in the US?

lexhamfox on August 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Not a Rush fan, but he’s right and it’s obvious.

Go RBNY on August 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

It takes a Hurricane (even a small, over-hyped one like Irene) to get Obama off the golf course!

search4truth on August 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Is anyone else running the government? Obama makes speeches on every topic, from every department.

Before we had a dictatorship, the actual department heads, you know like FEMA, DOD, etc., made announcements.

faraway on August 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I would say in a way he is correct based on the questions I heard at today’s news conference. The questions were not necessarily about Irene, they were questions that drew comparison between Irene and Katrina (Obama vs. Bush). Of course, MSNBC was leading the way.

reddevil on August 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Too true about Command Center Obammy!

Dhuka on August 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Barring the fact that it will flood anywhere it rains eight or ten inches in a few hours, that the power goes out routinely for most sever thunderstorms all over the country, that trees fall down when its really windy, this was a pretty bad storm… /

Of course people should have prepared and of course the loss of life is unfortunate. But the media did hype the heck out of this to the point of ridiculousness, which is the point.

Reporting the facts about preparedness, reporting on what any storm is doing, etc is too be expected. Hyping the storm, exaggerating it and the possible impacts to sensationalize things is irresponsible at best.

catmman on August 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM

lexhamfox on August 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM

So, you don’t see any Bias in their coverage?

Chip on August 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM

There is a line between providing rational damage assessment forecasts and creating mass hysteria and that line was crossed. The Anointed One, I think, hoped to reap profit from the chaos.

Dhuka on August 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I heard Fox News was one of the worst offenders. Is this true?

blink on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Fox always is. Remember Shep and Geraldo during Katrina?

Dawnsblood on August 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I don’t see Obama getting a boost from anything….

going to FEMA ain’t putting food on the table

blatantblue on August 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I live upstate – some family were i Staten Island for a funeral. The stories they had hyped up in conversations were unbelievable. I was told all the bridges were closed on Saturday, the NJ Turnpike was closed at noon on Saturday, they are going to evacuate half the city… and on and on.

I was laughing at them for the level of stupidity and belief in the hype.

I know that no storm related deaths are to be joked about, but really – wall to wall for a little bit of flooding, and a lot of rain. Come on.

StuckinliberalNY on August 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

catmman on August 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Yes, being prepared is important no matter what the disaster is – as long as you get reported to the FBI while doing it.

The problem will be the next time when people don’t take it seriously and it results in more deaths and injuries.

Chip on August 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Vice-President Cheney will be on Rush’s show tomorrow.

slickwillie2001 on August 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Obama: “Irene caused us to lose 5 million, no 10 million, jobs this month.”

faraway on August 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I heard Fox News was one of the worst offenders. Is this true?

blink on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Yes. Fox covered it 24 hours straight. John Roberts did the “look at me I’m in the hurricane” thing. I was kinda hoping a flying car would hit him.

I live in NJ and even News 12 (local channel) took breaks from the hurricane coverage.

redzap on August 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

If the hurricane were to have hit Texas, would it have had the same hype?

John Deaux on August 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Hurricane Irene (from the perspective of NYC) is the perfect metaphor for “Global Warming” … lots of hype, followed by failure to perform, laying waste to everybody else on the way there.

J_Crater on August 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

They are already getting the next hurricane lined up. Hello, Katia! It’s in the Altantic.

Oil Can on August 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I don’t buy it. The media hypes storms, particularly hurricanes, all the time. Plus, Irene was unique in that it was the first to hit the mainland in three years, and the first in awhile to target the Northeast. I think it’s more about wanting/needing something to cover and maybe a little east coast bias, than any political agenda.

changer1701 on August 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Nothing to fear….oblab..uh..Obama has his sleeves rolled up.

tinkerthinker on August 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Oil Can on August 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

No way Jose?

[Had to use that at least once]

Chip on August 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I AM sure that the Obama administration hyped this

The impacts of this storm will be felt for some time. And the recovery effort will last for weeks or longer,” said Obama, flanked by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Craig Fugate.

William Amos on August 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

From Drudge:

One in four Democrats wants to dump Obama

A new poll by CNN and ORC International finds that 27 percent of Democrats would like to see their party nominate a candidate other than Barack Obama for president in 2012.

Chip on August 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I heard Fox News was one of the worst offenders. Is this true?

blink on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

No, not really. They covered the hurricane 24×7, which was annoying. However, every time I’d tune in, they’d be covering the same 3-4 things, and accurately reported the storm’s risks.

That said, I did tune in briefly on Saturday night and saw Geraldo standing outside in the rain talking about how bad everything was. Then, some cops drove up, rolled the window down, and told Geraldo everything was fine and he should get inside and stay dry. LOL.

Outlander on August 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I don’t buy it. The media hypes storms, particularly hurricanes, all the time. changer1701 on August 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

They were heavily criticised for underestimating Andrew. People used to have hurricane parties before that one, then suddenly it got real serious. Katrina was a reminder of exactly how serious.

Of course, there’s a difference between an abundance of caution and speculating on damage and repercussions to the point of causing panic.

John Deaux on August 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Fatboy Christie in NJ overplayed it big time. What a loser.

Jayrae on August 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Chip on August 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Jose disapppeared off Bermuda. Katia is in the eastern Altantic. It’s not officially named, but forecasters said she be a hurricane by Thursday. Hype!

Oil Can on August 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Fatboy Christie in NJ overplayed it big time. What a loser.

Jayrae on August 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

No he didn’t. NJ probably got nailed the hardest–roughly 700k people without power and likely into the billions of dollars of damage. All Christie did was tell the Jersey Shore people to get off the beach. Is that really irresponsible advice in a hurricane?

Outlander on August 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I did think it was funny to call Obama a category 5 disaster, but I actually turned Rush off after this opening monologue. I love the guy, but if you’re living in Kill Devil Hills, NC or Vermont right now you’re not thinking this was “hype”.

Buy Danish on August 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I heard Fox News was one of the worst offenders. Is this true?

blink on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Shep Smith required a fainting couch and the smelling salts. But they allowed him to show the “bear on a trampoline” clip today so he’s feeling better now.

batterup on August 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Al Gore will soon announce that the scientific consensus is that Irene had sustained winds of 200 mph, and if anyone tells you otherwise, ask his why he talks like a racist.

Akzed on August 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Headline: “Obama speech thwarts Irene, saves thousands from certain death”

faraway on August 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

batterup on August 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Shepo!!! is really good at hyping disasters and California car chases. It’s what he does, and it’s what Fox News does.

Outlander on August 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Here’s a good indication of how most people reacted to the reporting on this storm. Skip to 1:20.

Pretty much NSFW.

Akzed on August 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Computer models don’t model very well.

Count it!

65droptop on August 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM

The very things FEMA and the WH told American citizens to stock up on are the very things Homeland security says to watch for. Home grown terrorist stock up on those very things according to Homeland security.

IowaWoman on August 29, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Well, to be fair to any of the news resources….Ike seemed to be weakening, and wasn’t expected to hit where it did, but it strengthened and hit us , dropping us to our knees begging for mercy.

Hurricanes are unpredictable, eradic, and dangerous. Even a cat 1. Otherwise there wouldn’t be billions in damages. Hyped? Probably. But they covered it, as it was affecting millions, and I’m sure those people had family watching, wondering, waiting and worrying. I’m glad they had somewhere to turn, for the updates.

capejasmine on August 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I said something to a friend of mine today about the media hype and he jumped all over me. He said that if things had gone badly and the media had not made a big deal out of it, people would have been blaming them for not warning people.

I still think they hyped it, but I don’t think it was about Obama’s reelection. I think it was about ratings.

Terrye on August 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

My impression was that all the non-local media had to talk about was Irene and it was another opportunity to compare Obama’s Irene to Bush’s Katrina. But what I noticed more so was weather forecasters and their prediction track with increasing levels of cat. strength when the hurricane had not stabilized a identifiable eye. The media down here on the Gulf Coast know about such things, as well as, the vastness/width of the storm. A wide storm with no stabilized eye is indicative of a lot of rain, which we are now seeing in the upper east. I think the media hyped it because they have no experience in such matters and nothing else to talk about. I think the upper east coast govs just had no experience and covered all their bases so they didn’t get the ‘BushWack’ that W got for Blanco’s and Nagin’s failures.

Texas Gal on August 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Fox is a big offender in misinformation on topic.

Suffocate, along with the other morons on the left.

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Rush is right on target as usual. The LSM is, as usual, shilling for Teh Won in a desperate attempt to convince voters that he is at least somewhat competent.

hachiban on August 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I saw a picture of Obama at the command desk at the NHC or FEMA, (not sure which). I’m sure we will see that again in a re-election ad. Undoubtedly, they will trumpet his success in seeing the nation though the crisis, unlike his predecessor.

I’m getting sick just thinking about it.

brotherjohn on August 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Irene could have been a lot worse, if it had followed the predicted track, with the the eye remaining offshore but close to the coast. There WAS a major danger of a strong hurricane hitting areas not accustomed to hurricanes (the East Coast north of Virginia). Not only are people in that area unprepared, but trees which grow there are not adapted to very strong winds in summer (they can better resist winter storms when there are no leaves to catch the wind).

Irene hit NC further west than predicted, meaning that the eye spent about 12 hours overland, which weakened it. I am still grateful to the Weather Service for their warnings of 60 mph winds in Connecticut: on Saturday, I moved my cars to a part of the driveway far from any trees, and on Sunday morning a 40-foot-long branch crashed down on my driveway, which would have totaled both cars if I had not moved them.

Obama doesn’t deserve credit for the “recovery” from Irene–after all, Governors up and down the East Coast were declaring disaster areas even before the storm hit. Hurricane Ike in Texas in 2008, and the four hurricanes which hit Florida in 2004 were much stronger storms than Irene, but the states’ Goverors (Perry in TX, Jeb Bush in FL) led well-organized recovery efforts.

Katrina in LA in 2005 was a major disaster beyond most other hurricanes, but who really deserves the blame for the slow recovery? Then-President Bush or (Democrat) Governor Blanco?

Although hurricanes always spin to the left, they are neither Republican nor Democrat. If one comes your way, you prepare for the worst and hope for the best, then pick up the pieces when it’s gone.

Steve Z on August 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

The White House actually put out a photo of “rained-out golf day” Barack Obama “in charge” in a hurricane response center.

I’m sorry, but we have people trained in handling hurricanes. The President of the United States sitting at a console, pretending to be actually doing something, something which he knows nothing about, is simply silly.

And proves Rush’s point.

It’s all about image.

But, even that they can’t get right.

Next thing you know, we’ll see a photo of BHO on a D.C. fire department hook & ladder, rescuing a cat from a tree because… well, we just don’t have anyone nearly as good as he is at…. everything.

2012 can’t come soon enough.

IndieDogg on August 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Obama is trying to undo the damage he did to his image when he was the Detached President during the Tornadoes of 2011 that tore through Alabama & the deep south for 3 days. Nearly 350 people died.

And his complete lack of concern, in 2010 when over a 7 day period the 1000 year flood happened in Tennessee, Kentucky & Mississippi – 31 people died.

Obama wasn’t involved during those disasters so the media wasn’t showing his lack of involvement – they are treating this like an opportunity to show how much he cares. No one likes his policies & all he has left for anyone to vote for him is that they think he is a nice guy.

batterup on August 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

It was clear that the press was betting on the Irene being Obama’s shining moment of leadership awesomeness. Blech!

I feel for those affected by this storm but no more than I felt for those after the floodings in Nashville and south of the Morganza Spillway in Louisiana and the wildfires in various counties in Texas. Actually, I have to say I felt a little more for the people in Joplin after the tornado. That was horrific.

Fallon on August 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Obama comparing himself to Bush is a joke. Katrina was different. Looting, anarchy, trashing and defecating in businesses, raping in the Superdome, rioters ‘coming down off dey Jones’, shooting at helicopters, failing levees, gunshot victims in the ditches, etc.

Katrina wasn’t just about the weather. ‘t was a complete collapse of the entitlement system. People were helpless without the government. Wonder why Nagin evacuated the city? When I got there 80% of law enforcement was DEA.

I regret the loss of life and damage from Irene, but it’s nothing compared to Katrina.

Jocundus on August 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Oil Can on August 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

That would be just about right.

Over-hype Irene. Now another (possible) hurricane begins churning up. In a week or so, looks like it might strike the east coast.

What do you wanna bet no one would take it serious? Crying Wolf syndrome would be complete.

catmman on August 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Obama deserves credit for getting Irene downgraded from Cat 3 to AA+.

redzap on August 29, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I don’t know if this has already been said but, even if the O is trying to play this up for his re-election, his ratings are STILL dropping like a hot potatoe. Soooooooo, I guess it’s not really working now is it. It still amazes me that he thinks we are stupid enough to believe all of his photo ops are real. Pfffftttttt. Keep on trying O, keep making yourself look stupid. :)

sicoit on August 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM

That photo op of Obama Taking Charge is the funniest thing I’ve seen the last Putin photo op.

MNHawk on August 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I said the same thing on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The media wants Bush/Katrina vs. Obama/Irene contrast and compare.

angryed on August 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

You know the term, “jumping the shark”? Well, there should be a new one, vis-a-vis over-hyping a storm.

Hurricane Irene needs to be in the phrase.

carbon_footprint on August 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM

So if Obama stayed on vacation, you bash him over the lack of leadership.

Being that he did leave, he’s now getting accused of hype as “part of the re-election effort.”

Obama
Derangement
Syndrome

cornfedbubba on August 29, 2011 at 5:03 PM

BTW I’m sick and tired of hearing X number of people without power. Come on? This is thew new yardstick by which to measure a calamity. Loss of power for a day or two? A hurricane kills tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands in 3rd world countries every year. Yet Americans are on full panic alert because they can’t watch TV for a day. We really have become a nation of wimps.

angryed on August 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM

So if Obama stayed on vacation, you bash him over the lack of leadership.

Obama
Derangement
Syndrome

cornfedbubba on August 29, 2011 at 5:03 PM

But when Spike Lee said that Bush blew up the levies or when Kanye West said Bush hates black people….perfectly legitimate criticism, right?

angryed on August 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM

So if Obama stayed on vacation, you bash him over the lack of leadership.

Obama
Derangement
Syndrome

cornfedbubba on August 29, 2011 at 5:03 PM

angryed on August 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yeah Rush is probably as paranoid as Kanye and Spike.

lexhamfox on August 29, 2011 at 5:11 PM

This was an HISTORIC! storm. Barry managed it MUCH BETTER than Bush did Katrina.

Let’s see Cat1/Tropical Storm vs Cat5 hurricane.

Yeah, they’re pretty much equal.

Ain’t Barry just Great!

GarandFan on August 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Rush is creating a little narrative here to piss off the MSM. You’re not supposed to take the bait, you’re supposed to know he’s throwing chum in the waters and laugh at their reaction. Not buy into it.

You get a Hurricane the size of Texas climbing up the Easter Seaboard and passing DC,NY,Philly and Boston………the media is going to got NUTS (that’s where the media is located folks hello???)……..No matter who the President is. Especially in a slow news cycle.

Plus, every pol gets their mug in front of cameras during these things.

You know you’ve gone sycophant when you don’t realize Rush’s baiting the other side….and he’s reeling you in.

A. Obama ain’t as smart as you give him credit for with these “schemes.”

B. Little disappointed in Tina here. This is the easy stuff and she bought it too.

AYNBLAND on August 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Obama in the Command Center was a bit over the top.

It was right out of Hollywood Central Casting.

President Obama trying to look Presidential.

portlandon on August 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM

With an identifying placard to remind himself…

Did anyone else hear the woman caller who said that FEMA money designated for Joplin, MO, following its tornado damage, was transferred to the East Coast? Or that farmland areas flooded by the Army Corps of Engineers is still not available for farming?

Is this more of the Obamanomics spoils system of punishing non-supporters and rewarding supporters? Is this preview of his “jobs” pivot?

onlineanalyst on August 29, 2011 at 5:22 PM

search4truth on August 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Perhaps water would melt teh Won?

Caststeel on August 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM

FEMA reports that more than 5 million people are still without power

All you pundits and media types trying to make a big deal out of this better get used to life without electricity. If Obama’s EPA regulations take effect, electric power will be only a fond memory of grandma and grandpa’s younger years.

What are you pundits gonna write about then? How happy everyone one was, and how we all took cheap electric power for granted, or are you going to try to make the story about how much more tranquil more pastoral life is without electric power?

Skandia Recluse on August 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

angryed on August 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Around noon today, I heard a radio news report that said “a million people still in the dark…”

slickwillie2001 on August 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

MY GOD!!! And to think today’s Monday and Bachelor Pad is on. How will these people survive?????

angryed on August 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Ya’ mean to tell me that gasbag O’Dumbo couldn’t take a deep breath and blow Irene out to sea?

(((shaking head in disbelief)))

GrannyDee on August 29, 2011 at 5:56 PM

angryed on August 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Well, loss of power can kill, too — in hospitals, for example. Or an acquaintance I have who has to be on a ventilator at night because when she falls asleep, she stops breathing. She was in the pathway of Irene, BTW, and very sensibly went to stay with relatives in another state.

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM

LOL, Clueless C-BS “News” reporter in Brattleboro Vermont just described “the Green Mountains of New York”.

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM

So if Obama stayed on vacation, you bash him over the lack of leadership.

Obama
Derangement
Syndrome

cornfedbubba on August 29, 2011 at 5:03 PM

You’re funny.

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Rush is right… AGAIN!!

And CORNFEDBUBBA: I don’t begrudge POTUS a family vacation… JUST TAKE 1 PLANE NEXT TIME… And if Daddy has to leave early, so does the family… Just like everybody else…

Khun Joe on August 29, 2011 at 7:23 PM

If the hurricane were to have hit Texas, would it have had the same hype?

John Deaux on August 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

For a Catagory 1? Texans would have not gotten near a mike. If they would have that kind of coverage they would have been laughed at by the other Coast states.

itsspideyman on August 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

What? They visited the White House?

itsspideyman on August 29, 2011 at 7:30 PM

If the hurricane were to have hit Texas, would it have had the same hype?

John Deaux on August 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

If the hurricane had hit Texas, everyone in the state would be doing happy dances because of the rain it brought.

Gator Country on August 29, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Hurricanes are just big storms. They can get nasty, yes, but you can prepare for them. I can think of far, far worse things coming down the pike for North America and we aren’t really ready for them. Big wet storms are bad, yes… but you can see them coming and do something about your condition and your chances. Perhaps we should take that attitude towards other problems, and stop looking to the government for solutions as they are have known about worse coming and do zip about it.

ajacksonian on August 29, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Steve Z on August 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Actually the predicted path and the actual path were nearly identical-over its 750 mile run, the predicted path and actual paths never varied more than 30 miles.

Predicted track is the blue line, actual path is shown by red and white hurricane icons slightly to the left.

Fun Fact: as it roared up the Connecticut River Valley on the way to wreak destruction on Vermont and New Hampshire and Maine, Irene crossed from Vermont into New Hampshire and then back into Vermont a few times.

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Not a Rush fan, but he’s right and it’s obvious.

Go RBNY on August 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

He’s right 99.6% of the time, you could do worse than listen to him.

disa on August 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM