“It was like walking into Hell”

posted at 11:25 am on August 29, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Greg Hengler captured this emotional moment from the National Geographic special last night that featured George Bush giving his recollection of 9/11 and the days immediately afterward. This clip gives the backstory to Bush’s famous declaration from Ground Zero that the people who destroyed the towers would soon hear from an enraged United States of America. Bush describes the scene as being something from Hell, and that he sensed a “palpable blood lust” to avenge the deaths of thousands of Americans:

I missed the show last night; I was distracted by some unexpected bad news in the family. I have it set to record this evening and will watch it later. If you missed it as well, it airs again tonight on the National Geographic Channel at 9 pm ET and again at midnight. The previews of the one-hour special are very intriguing. Apparently the only voice we will hear, other than from archival video of the events, is Bush’s, as the interviewer’s questions have been removed from the video.

Comments

That moment literally changed my life and that megaphone clip always brings tears to my eyes.
That was the moment I realized that my vote for Gore was a horrible mistake and I realized I was relieved Bush was President. This was someone who went to bed after the 2000 election gloating over a Gore win, to being woken up by my husband to see Bush had somehow won it all and then proceeding to hysterically cry my eyes out.
9/11 opened my eyes completely. I am thankful but also ashamed that it took such a large tragedy to wake me out of my selfish, self-absorbed slumber. May God bless America. I pray it won’t take something worse than 9/11 to get others to see the light.

quiz1 on August 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

It was very good, Bush says something that will drive the some insane. Apparently immediately in Washington everyone wanted to take Iraq/Saddam out, knowing he had to have had some role in 9/11. Bush said he made decision to focus first directly on Al-Qaeda and Afghanistan where they were being harbored.

When did Dick Cheney change his name to “Apparently immediately in Washington everyone”?

Tom_Shipley on August 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM

How unsurprising that Bush would want to revise history. I guess he “forgot” that soon after the attacks he demanded that security advisor Richard Clarke find a link to Iraq. When Clarke told him intelligence found no link, “He came back at me and said: ‘Iraq! Saddam! Find out if there’s a connection.’ And in a very intimidating way.” It’s pretty obvious any real link was inconsequential to the plans to involve Iraq as his PNAC buddies (Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and Cheney) had been planning to do since the 90′s.

Constantine on August 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM

A Roasted Paulnut sighting! Quoting the Hate Left as well … Richard Clarke was thoroughly discredited because he had the chance to raise the 20/20 hindsight objections and did nothing.

Reminds of Scott McClellan, the doofus press secretary from the Bush administration, and his kiss-and-tell book. Bitter, angry turd merchants trying to get right with the Ruling Class. More like Benedict Arnold.

pdigaudio on August 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM

… Before 9/11 I was a community organizer for environmental non-profits who was just beginning to see the left’s hypocrisy after a series of events that left me somewhat of a pariah in the community and therefore unemployable.

That’s an amazing testimony, quiz1. Good for you for having both the wits and the humility to come to that realization and follow it up. You’re far from alone. Many people had the same epiphany — Dennis Miller comes to mind, but there are many others, famous and not.

quiz1 on August 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Amen, and amen!

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM

George Bush may be an honorable man, but he sucked as a president. He expanded an already bloated federal government to huge proportions and passed the first bailout before leaving office. No one needs any more proof that republicans cannot ever be trusted to shrink the government.

woodNfish on August 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM

republicans cannot ever be trusted to shrink the government.

woodNfish on August 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM

We shouldn’t “trust” any politician to shrink the government.

Thus, the Tea Party.

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Tom_Shipley on August 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM

You showed up one minute early, Tom. Constantine’s shift didn’t end til 3 PM.

As I noted in an earlier post in this thread, Clarke had also tied Iraq to AQ. As did the Clinton Justice Department in their 1998 indictmnent of bin Laden,

Of course, “everyone in Washington” (all of them Democrats) also said in 1998 that Saddam had WMDs.

Were they all lying too?

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Thanks –

Just an interesting aside – I was once asked to go to Alaska to run a small campaign against a woman candidate “they”, meaning the left, saw as a threat. Having just put in a few months work in Montana, separated from my husband as a newlywed (I was a liberated woman dontcha know) I couldn’t commit. I often wonder if that was a Sarah Palin election, her re-election to Wasilla mayor would have fit the timeline. I can’t say for sure as I am not in contact with my “friends” from that era in my life anymore to confirm it.

quiz1 on August 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM

And who do you trust? The Democrats and Obama? Please Bush faced many unprecedented events in our history that still shape this country. Even to this day many Republicans admit they spent too much during the Bush years. But to this day they are the only party right now, along with the Tea Party, pushing for cuts in govt. If spending is your one and only benchmark of a good president…then our current one is even more of a failure! It took eights years for Bush to spend what Obama has done in 2.5 years. I tend to think that a president should be judged on their entire time in office. Bush was the right president at the right time.

SPGuy on August 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I will always hate with the same intensity, until my last breath.

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM

quiz1 on August 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Wow! Interesting indeed!

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 3:40 PM

9/11……Bush’s finest hour.

PappyD61 on August 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Islam is a religion of peace.”-GWB.

Bush’s effective cencellation of his finest hour.

This little sentence undermined the entire war against imperialistic Islam.

And allowed Sharia Law into the constitutions of both conquered Iraq and Afghanistan, and now gives us the folly of the delusionl West’s mis-estimation of the “Arab Spring”… as the Muslim Brotherhood takes over Egypt, and soon, the rest.

Islam is a religion of peace the way The National Socialists had no further territorial demands in 1938.

Bush gave us a farr harder war to win with his slipshod stupidity about Islam.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I will always hate with the same intensity, until my last breath.

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I understand. My mother, a WWII veteran, hasn’t forgiven Japan and never will. Her uncle was killed over the Pacific. She lost friends on at least one of the death marches. She doesn’t have a problem with Japanese-Americans, many of whom served this country with great distinction, but isn’t happy that I drive a Toyota (even though it was built in the US).

9/11 is very much like Pearl Harbor for our generation.

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Tom_Shipley on August 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Actually, I remember being surprised that there were people being interviewed on the streets of NY the next day or two and they were saying it was the Arabs and specifically named Saddam.

Texas Gal on August 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM

“palpable blood lust”

What a disgusting thing to say.

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

This was me! (minus the husband, and working in a non-political job, and being a liberal rather than leftist)

YehuditTX on August 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Blood lust: “A desire for extreme violence and carnage, often aroused in the heat of battle and leading to uncontrolled slaughter and torture.’

What President would accuse his own nation of that?

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I will always hate with the same intensity, until my last breath.

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Never Forgive, Never Forget.

To this day, the images of that attack fill me with anger as it should for all people who truly desire peace. The radical Islamists who carried out this attack are the enemies of peace, morality and civilization.

Yakko77 on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

What a disgusting thing to say.

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

It was accurate, and perfectly understandable at the time.

I felt the same way when I was watching the President arrive at Ground Zero live that day.

I was still in shock, but also very pissed off.

I remember seeing a large pane of glass window covered in the dust from the collapse, and some one had written “NUKE ‘EM ALL” in the dust.

I also recall at the television fundraiser concert Paul McCartney did, Richard Gere came out and tried the whole “violence will solve nothing” leftist idiot routine. The audience was full of NYFD and NYPD, and military folks. He was booed out of the place.

We, as a nation, wanted to kick some ass.

Brian1972 on August 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Had the media not been so intent on trying to destroy Bush the events of September 11, 2007 could have been interpreted for what they were.

An attack upon the united states.

In a number of coordinated trades, half a trillion dollars was pulled from American money markets overnight. This was the event that led to the suspension of McCain’s campaign and all the talk about the economy failing within days if something wasn’t done.

Most of TARP went to plugging holes caused by that Sept. 11, 2007 event.

Representative Paul Kanjorski laid it all out on C-Span, then went quiet about the next day and his office refused questions on the matter.

The history will show that we were financially attacked that day and the anti-Bush narrative prevented the story from being told. Not to mention who benefited.

yeah, it’s a conspiracy theory. If someone could ever disprove it by showing me who made the coordinated withdraws I’d give up on it.

Jason Coleman on August 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Was a decent interview, though lack of an interviewer was a bit distracting.

rbj on August 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

It was a great piece, and in my opinion was much more poignant and flowed much better without the interviewer. While watching it, I eerily relived the emotions that I felt when I witnessed these events on television the morning of 9/11, and cried just as I did that day.

Susanboo on August 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

What a disgusting thing to say.

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Thanks so much for sharing that.

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM

9/11……Bush’s finest hour.

PappyD61 on August 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

“Islam is a religion of peace.”-GWB.

Bush’s effective cencellation of his finest hour.

This little sentence undermined the entire war against imperialistic Islam.

Bush gave us a farr harder war to win with his slipshod stupidity about Islam.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Bulllsh*t. Bush was treated like a war criminal by the left for even attempting to defend the country and here you are whining that he said something about Islam being the religion of peace. Bush said a lot of things. He also said that the men who brought those towers down were murdering thugs.

The problem with people like you is that there is no pleasing you. You seem to think that if Bush had said..All Muslims are monsters…or something that somehow or other that would have made it easier to defend the country or fight the war on Terror. Nonsense…Bush did a good job of keeping this country safe, whether people like you want to admit it or not.

Terrye on August 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Jason Coleman on August 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

You’re a year off. That attack was the following 9/11.

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

What President would accuse his own nation of that?

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I watched this show last night..and the only thing Bush accused his nation of was being brave and resolute and determined. He is not accusing anyone of anything here, he is simply talking about the mood of the people at this place and time.

Terrye on August 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

For all the Paultards. Saddam wasnt attacked for 9/11

“After the events of 11 September 2001, and before the start of the military operation in Iraq, Russian special services several times received such information and passed it on to their American colleagues,” he told reporters.

He said the information received by Russian intelligence suggested Iraq was planning attacks in the United States, “and beyond its borders on American military and civilian targets”.

William Amos on August 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

What President would accuse his own nation of that?

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

An honest one. I personally cannot watch the films of people jumping out of the building without feeling “palpable blood lust”.

That’s just me. I doubt I’m alone.

kim roy on August 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

You’re right, my bad. Thanks for the catch.

Jason Coleman on August 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Constantine on August 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM

It is obvious you take the word of a lecherous liar over the word of the President of the United States. How about you go find another thread to pollute!

glennbo on August 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM

How about you go find another site thread to pollute!

Susanboo on August 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM

And who do you trust?

I’m with Mary. I don’t trust any of them.

You can thank Bush for the TSA groping your crotch everytime you fly. For the racist Homeland Security. For one of the largest ramp-ups of federal bureacracy in the history of the US.

Bush sucked, and he will always suck. His only positive is that he sucked less than president downgrade.

woodNfish on August 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I remember that moment well. I had just watched the arrival of the president’s helicopters overhead from my backyard in Brooklyn. I didn’t vote for Bush but I sure was glad to see him at Ground Zero. It was reassuring in a terrible, terrible moment in my city. Thank you, George Bush. I may not have voted for him but I grew to respect him and then later to admire him.

Urban Infidel on August 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM

watching the special right now…i miss him something fierce…

this is what leadership looks like dear leader…

cmsinaz on August 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

woodNfish on August 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Just to clarify: My point was that we should not trust any politician — we must vigilantly hold them all accountable at all times.

That doesn’t preclude recognizing when one of them does something right. President Bush’s response to 9/11 was right.

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM

The Department of Homeland Security, however, isn’t. It’s the Department of Terrorizing Innocent Citizens While Sparing the Feelings of a Certain Class of Persons.

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Jason Coleman on August 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Interesting… verrrrry interesting.

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 6:06 PM

A friend of mine is a consultant to Homeland Security. Has since 2004 or 05. He is anything but a terrorist.

Voter from WA State on August 29, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I said that badly — my apologies to your friend. I was thinking of TSA.

Mary in LA on August 29, 2011 at 8:27 PM

He was completely transformed by this and was the perfect leader for the time. I’ll always be grateful for his leadership then.

Bee on August 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Yes, and when he threw out the first pitch at the World Series opener in New York (a strike, btw, and from the rubber), the transformation was complete. He was a changed man and a changed president and precisely the man and president we needed.

Nine Innings From Ground Zero is a wonderful documentary about the important role baseball’s post-season played in helping NYC heal its wounds. My favorite mind’s eye picture of GWB is as he stands on the mound at Yankee Stadium with the ball held high acknowledging the crowd’s cheers on behalf of America. That moment spoke volumes about America and Americans and spoke them to the world.

SukieTawdry on August 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I know there are things George Bush did that were not good for our country. No Child Left Behind. The senior drug legislation. Etc.

But as far as 9/11, I am EXTREMELY glad he was president at that moment in time. I can’t even fathom what Algore would do–it is so beyond Algore’s ability to be a true leader in any capacity that the mind boggles at the thought of how he would have handled–mishandled–things.

Thanks for showing that clip–we get the very, very, very basic cable here at home so I won’t be able to watch this as it’s broadcast, will have to get a copy if it’s released on DVD. It brought tears to my eyes. W was, at that moment, the leader we so desperately needed.

theotherone on August 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Terrye on August 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

You read a comment every once in a while that actually makes your chest swell with pride.

Yep.

hawkdriver on August 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Yes, sir, I do miss you…

d1carter on August 29, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Bush worst mistake was thinking that getting rid of Saddam was OK with the Arab world. They didnt back saddam but saw the WOT as a means to push and Islamic agenda. Bush didnt forsee that. I dont think anyone did at the time.

William Amos on August 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

No mistake whatsoever!

The only way to defeat Islamic extremisim is to fight them tooth and nail until they fear for their own extermination. Muslims are Cowards of the first order who hide behind a religion that advocates subjugating anyone not a Muslim, and allowing themselves to build time to marshal forces to attack infidels when they least expect it, through subterfuge, lying, saying one thing in their own languages and another in English or in other Western tongues.

The only way to defeat the barbaric tenets of Wahhabi and extremist Islam is to take the fight to them and make them fear they will forever be eliminated if they do not moderate their behavior. You have to go on offense somewhere. Iraq was a PERFECT place to go on offense and no one with any strategic knowledge worthy of that name can claim otherwise. For the distinctly painful price of 7000+ (so far) American and Western lives who stood up for Freedom and against the tyranny of radical Muslims, many thousands of bad Muslims have been sent to their Deaths, a factor of at least 20 to 1 casualty rates of uncivilized and barbaric people who either must be fought tooth and nail, or will one day win over our own civilization as we tire of constantly defending it.

Mohammedanism is the most backwards and stultifying influence in todays world.

I would rather sacrifice 10,000 Good American Men today eliminating and destroying al Qaeda, the Taliban and putting extreme fear into all Muslims worldwide that a repeat of 9-11 will be met with nuclear retaliation of a kind they will NEVER survive, than to actually have to place that threat into effect and utterly destroy every Muslim country on the face of the Earth. And most assuredly, if we do not oppose them now, we will die in the millions defending ourselves when they do get nuclear weapons and undoubtedly use them against us in the lowest and most underhanded ways possible.

I tire of Muslims and their fellow travelers and Communist sympathizers breathlessly explaining how Islam is a Religion of Peace and how only a few extremists oppose our way of Life. That is BS and a Lie.

Invading Iraq, a mistake?

Never!

Subsunk

Subsunk on August 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM

It’s better by far to not vote for someone and later grow to respect and admire them, than to vote for someone, regret your vote and distrust and despise them.

eaglesdontflock on August 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Invading Iraq, a mistake?

Never!

Subsunk

Subsunk on August 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Given the “intelligence” at the time invading Iraq was not a mistake, but marrying the damn muslim place sure is. Especially with all the kowtowing that is done to them. Ditto and then some with Afcrapistan. We should slapped the Hell out of them and divorced both of them years ago. Now ‘we’ are throwing away Blood and Treasure for nothing but a bunch of God damned muslims.

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Powerful stuff.

ButterflyDragon on August 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM

We should have done that during Desert Storm.

Voter from WA State on August 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM
then?

agree! who advised ghwb to not take him out at that time…

cmsinaz on August 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

What is MOST sad is that the place is still sitting there unresolved!

amend2 on August 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM

“palpable blood lust”

What a disgusting thing to say.

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Where were you in 2001? Playing with your see and say? There was a bloodlust. Many of us wanted Kabul to be a smoking hole by sundown the next day. The Taliban was still in charge there. They blew up ancient Buddhist monuments. They shot women in the head for wearing makeup. We hated those bastards and would have been content to have wiped Afghanistan off the map.

You and the rest of your liberal buddies need to remember, America does not operate in a vacuum. Cheney’s energy commission no doubt laid out the plan to depose Saddam and install a western friendly government in Iraq. Iraq was the loose brick in the ME confederacy. Our plans were leaked to our historic enemies, Nazis, Commies and Islamic Royalty. They conspired to attack on 9-11 in order to pre-empt our planned pre-emption in Iraq. 9-11 was the rabbit aka Saving Private Ryan, a diversion designed to divide American opinion and it worked brilliantly. Ignorant liberals took the bait and declared Iraq one war too many when it was Afghanistan, the Rabbit, that was the trap. To Bush’s credit he didn’t change the plan and followed through with Iraq to the detriment of his presidency. He was right of course and the changes we see today in the ME are a result of his policies.

Please understand The Prague meetings between Atta and Stasi elements. Russia and the East German Nazis harbor intractable hatred toward America because America kicked both their asses. We don’t operate in a vacuum and 9-11 was a brilliant stroke to try and derail our Energy Commission plans.

pc on August 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM

pc on August 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Maybe this is beyond your vocabulary, and above your head, but accusing the American people of having “palpable blood lust” is something one would expect a John Kerry to say, or a John Murtha, if he were still alive. “blood lust” means being like a mindless subhuman just out to indiscriminately kill for it’s own sake. It is very derogatory. Bush never was particular smart, maybe he didn’t even realize what he was saying.

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 11:58 PM

quiz1, I too changed my life on 9/11; I was a self-centered liberal who believed most of the Left’s propaganda. It was a rude awakening. It is hard to describe how betrayed I felt by the media and its friends in the Left. I believed all of the bs about Republicans and conservatives. I was so surprised to learn how just how brainwashed I had been. The press in this country are the useful idiots we have all heard about, betraying their country for ideology.

mbabbitt on August 30, 2011 at 12:01 AM

quiz1 on August 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Welcome home.

The Republic needs all of her faithful children now, and always.

And if it’s any help, don’t let the darkness, now behind you, burden you.

Just remember your dawn’s first light.

And it’ll be alright.

CPT. Charles on August 30, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 11:58 PM

I think you watch too many vampire movies.

Ronnie on August 30, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Dennis Miller comes to mind

Miller, at least from the viewpoint of his peers, was always conservative. He just wasn’t as upfront about it in the SNL days.

calbear on August 30, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Actually, it was the coalition that stopped further action.

Voter from WA State on August 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Powell didn’t like the amount of Iraqi casualties on the road out of Kuwait and told Bush 1 we needed to stop and not follow…

Gohawgs on August 30, 2011 at 3:48 AM

profitsbeard on August 29, 2011 at 3:44 PM
“Islam is a religion of peace.”-GWB.

Bush’s effective cencellation of his finest hour.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2011 at 3:44 PM

AND What was your “knowledge” base of Islam PRIOR to 9/11??

Up until that time I was “never” concerned nor curious about other cultures religious beliefs. The ones I knew something about seemed to have the same message for Humans – Do what is “right” for basic human behavior. I quick searched the web for Islam shortly after the attack. The Web Site mentioned all the “righteous” stuff BUT none of the evil.I did NOT start learning the TRUTH about Mo and associates until a year or two later..

I have had reservations about Rick P. about similar statements about Islam but this also seemed to occur in a relative short time frame after 09/11..

It took an Education (continuing with help of RS and others)for me to realize this act was not some bunch of loons (KKK, SLA, etc)but an ACT of ISLAM Imams who want the power to control the world with their EVIL..

Panentheist on August 30, 2011 at 5:18 AM

Voter from WA State on August 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM

cripe…

Gohawgs on August 30, 2011 at 3:48 AM

colin, colin, colin…

cmsinaz on August 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Bush spoke wonderfully how is Islam is the religion of Peace…….in the rubble caused by it.

PappyD61 on August 30, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Watched it last nite and it was extremely moving. Learned a few things I didn’t know (e.g. Bush wrote the remarks given at the FL school).

kringeesmom on August 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

What President would accuse his own nation of that?

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Watch the show and you will learn what he is saying. It was at Ground Zero 3 days after the attack surrounded by people who had worked non-stop looking for survivors. They had seen people jump to their deaths. They had watched the buildings collapse. They were beyond angry. I guess you don’t remember or understand those days.

Voter from WA State on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I remember watching that video of the bodies thumping on the concrete and thinking exactly what those on ground zero were thinking. Payback. It’s a natural emotion. It was an awful time for our nation. President Bush handled it the best he could. I can’t imagine how it felt to be in his shoes.

wi farmgirl on August 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I wanted to nuke Mecca after 9/11. I even had a satellite photo of the big mosque there with crosshairs over it and the quote from Aliens (Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure) that I had photoshoped hanging on my wall in my office for months afterwards.

Wolftech on August 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Copies of the internal documents were provided to The New York Times by officials in several agencies involved in planning the anniversary commemorations. “The important theme is to show the world how much we realize that 9/11 — the attacks themselves and violent extremism writ large — is not ‘just about us,’ ” said one official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe internal White House planning.

This is how Obooba plans on commemorating 9/11.

Who else was attacked that day?

I guess it’s not all about us. It’s also about the mass psychosis known as Islam.

Akzed on August 30, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Bush is scheduled to participate in the 9/11 memorial.

eaglesdontflock on August 30, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Never forget. I remember being stunned for a long time – the blood lust came when I saw the Palestinians and others dancing in the streets.

jodetoad on August 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Has anyone heard if Pres. Bush will be any part of the 9/11 observances? I haven’t heard that he will be. In one way, I can understand. However, there is no other person, along with Guiliani (other than the departed bin Laden), more closely connected to 9/11. Watching what he has done since January 2009, I won’t be surprised if he is not a part of any of it.

Voter from WA State on August 30, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I imagine he will be there, with Laura, praying.

He will, as he has in many ways, continue to be a model for class and decorum by ex-presidents, and will continue to remind us that, no matter whether you agreed with every one of his policies or actions, there stands a good man.

massrighty on August 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM

massrighty on August 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Mary in LA on August 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM

massrighty on August 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Mary in LA on August 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Jewels on August 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

The “blood lust” that George W sneers at is called the instinct for self-preservation. One way that our political elites ill serve is by being too effete to think self-preservation is worth the effort.

thuja on August 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I saw Dick Morris mention that he has a petition on his site to stop our government from giving 5 million to help build the Ground Zero mosque. If you feel as strongly as I do about that, you can go there and sign.
Then share it with as many as you can.

silvernana on August 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“palpable blood lust”
What a disgusting thing to say.

Lon Chaney on August 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I felt and still feel that way when I see the planes fly into the towers and when I watch people jump to their deaths to escape the suffering of death by incineration.
I hope you watched the show so that you can see for yourself the anger and rage people felt AT THAT TIME. That quote was Bush describing the attitude of the workers sifting through the ground zero rubble three or four days after 9/11.

RMCS_USN on August 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Watched it last night. What stood out for me was his ability to maintain the calm demeanor despite the rage he felt inside as the attacks unfolded.

Thank You President Bush.

rukiddingme on August 30, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I cannot watch any of this without a lump in my throat, a prayer in my heart for those we lost and the people who rushed to help, or clenched fists and utter rage at those we seek to bring justice to.

This will never leave me.

juanito on August 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM