Quotes of the Day

posted at 9:00 pm on August 28, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Someone has to say it: Cable news was utterly swept away by the notion that Irene would turn out to be Armageddon. National news organizations morphed into local eyewitness-news operations, going wall-to-wall for days with dire warnings about what would turn out to be a Category 1 hurricane, the lowest possible ranking. “Cable news is scaring the crap out of me, and I WORK in cable news,” Bloomberg correspondent Lizzie O’Leary tweeted.

I say this with all due respect to the millions who were left without power, to those communities facing flooding problems, and of course to the families of the 11 people (at last count) who lost their lives in storm-related accidents.

————-

Now, hurricanes are not jokes, and neither was this one. Let’s just get that fact up top where it belongs. As she barreled up the coast over these past few days, Irene took 14 lives and caused an estimated “tens of billions” of dollars in damage, reports the AP.

But, that said, as the air clears and the winds die down, as they had done by about 2 p.m. here in Central Massachusetts, the apocalyptic scenarios and complete drowning of Manhattan under an unrelenting tide that 24-hour news outlets like CNN and others would have had you believe were an inevitable fact had all vanished like a fart in a brisk 65 mph wind. We were not immune to its effect, of course, having fired off a warning of our own in the swell before the storm. Lucky for everyone in the East, the storm did not “eff everyone up.” We’re grateful for that! But we can also sense when it’s time for a proper mea culpa.

————-

“People are saying they’ve dodged a bullet … [but] people have lost lives. I don’t think you can say we dodged a bullet.”

————-

The monster storm also provided a perfect opportunity for TV reporters to brave the winds and serve up a lot of hype before the hurricane hit and again when the torrential downpours began to drench streets and highways.

Not to mention the great photo opps [sic] for politicians like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

————-

And even after the storm passes in the Northeast, the danger will persist. Rivers could crest after the skies the clear, and the ground in most of the region is saturated from a summer of persistent rain. In Rhode Island, thick with bays, inlets and coastline, authorities were worried about coastal flooding at Sunday evening’s high tide.

In upstate New York, rising waters at a dam on a creek sounded sirens and officials urged residents to seek higher ground. They did not believe the dam was in danger of imminent failure.

————-

“I want people to understand that this is not over. The impacts of this storm will be felt for some time, and the recovery effort will last for weeks or longer.”

————-

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bishop!

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Holy Crikes BAtman, The Hellstorm washed away AllahP???? What in the name of Irene are YOU doing at the qoTD wheel, ED?

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

and wasn’t Obama at the “wheel” of this giant downgrade? How prophetic. At least GDub had a Cat 5…..

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM

As someone who went through Ike just a few years ago in my fiancee’s house which was trashed by the rain and wind, I can say without hesitation that THAT was a freaking hurricane!

Doughboy on August 28, 2011 at 9:06 PM

The people in Vermont would hasten to disagree tonight. This is fast-becoming the worst storm in that state’s history.

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Irene = Obama

A lot of hype and wet behind the ears. To be fair to Irene, Obama has kille many more people.

SouthernGent on August 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM

My favorite was the Weather Channel guy who was decked out like Geraldo or Shep Smith in his ski goggles and then half way through his report a bunch of college kids in cut offs and t-shirts did karate chops in the air and danced around him (on dropping shorts and doing a full monty for the camera) and then someone strolled by with a camera…..with the guy crying “This isn’t funny!”

Marcus on August 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM

SouthernGent on August 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM

so, we can just refer to this as a Cat 1 drone strike?? Is that what he was doing at the command center?///

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Hey Ed, where’s AP? No power?

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

So AP & the cats are okay, right? Power outage?

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

didn’t AP say that we could find him hiding under a mattress crying for his mommy? He also said he stashed a lot of beer…so he might be sleepin’ one off.

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Checking in again. We lost power for a few hours, hopefully it’s back on now for good, but if they need to repair downed lines, it’ll go back off again.

We’re ok, my folks called via cell phone as their power was still out.

This is what happened to where I used to live awhile ago. Pretty amazing, I’m glad more people weren’t hurt.

I might be back later if power’s still up.

Take care!

DrAllecon on August 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Ask me again when it’s over. What a very very long day.

Connie on August 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Marcus on August 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Here ya go!!

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Those Catskill towns that got hit with flash floods this afternoon aren’t feeling like they dodged a bullet.

ernesto on August 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I hope everything is okay for you..as well as our other East Coasters..:)

Dire Straits on August 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

The hurricane did a number on the Outer Banks but the people and left before the talking heads got started.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Here ya go!!

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

LOL.

Even other things were downgraded according to that clip.

Electrongod on August 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Bishop!
massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Thanks for holding my place, now get lost.

First!

Bishop on August 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Rick Perry.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Dire Straits on August 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Yes thanks, we did fine kept power, cable and internet. Now is the clean up.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM

AP’s doing fine — he’s just taking a day off. Jazz and Tina served up the headlines today.

Ed Morrissey on August 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Is PBHO still at Storm Central Reaction Danger Headquarters or did he get bored and go home?

Bishop on August 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM

An entire week of “Listen to your officials” “Your Government is doing all it can” “You can’t be safe without us” “Follow our instuctions” 24-7…..

How did we ever survive before?

I’ll tell ya how, a lot better.

Tim Zank on August 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Wow good one.

CW on August 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Really? Just how are they feeling? Please, tell us how they feel oh interpretive one.

Tim Zank on August 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Oops O’s disapproval at all time high. Somehow I don’t think people bought his lame attempt at concern over the storm.

CW on August 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Tim Zank on August 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Ernies faux concern is muy thick.

CW on August 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Knuck: Remember all the horrific we got before the Snowpocalypse? Chicago getting mucho snow? Get-AOUT!///
Remember those dipsnits who got stranded on LSD just as things started to get… unpleasant because they didn’t leave wherever early enough…despite having 4-5 DAYS notice that we were about to get hit w/ weather.
As I remember-a few of the mental defectives were threatening to sue the City. I hope those suits went NO PLACE

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Bishop on August 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM

He went back home to make sure the place was spotless before the Boss arrives.

Electrongod on August 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Ed Morrissey on August 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Thanks Mr. Morrissey. Do you ever get the feeling that maybe some of us spend way too much time on HotAir? Not me of course.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Oh and thank you Tina & Jazz thanks for the headlines.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Rick Perry.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:21 PM

…lines his gloves with fur of nuked kittens.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I can quit HA any time I want to…says the broad that hasn’t posted on her own blog in 2+weeks.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Thanks for holding my place, now get lost.

First!

Bishop on August 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Gratitude is a disease of dogs.

– Josef Stalin

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM

If it hit West Virginia, nobody would have noticed.

IlikedAUH2O on August 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

No, twerp, that would be Rick Skerry. Not Rick Perry.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I survived the Blizzard of 2010. Remember that one? Yeah. It was a snow storm.

John the Libertarian on August 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

we don’t want ed to answer that one. especially you fellas from the “night crew”…./

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I wasn’t home. That’s when I cruised through the Panama Canal and then got stranded at a really nice hotel for 4 days in Fort Lauderdale where it was 84 degree’s every day, compliments of Southwest Airlines because the airports were all shutdown.

I suffered horribly/

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

We demand PROOF OF LIFE for Allahpundit!

Blake on August 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Dear God,

Please send a tropical depression that will linger over Texas for a few weeks.

Texas

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I suffered horribly/

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

didja take your clubs?
/potus

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

What is wrong with me? Why is it that when I see a reporter (or Geraldo, the Mortician) standing on the beach in the high winds of a hurricane, even a pussy one like Irene, that I want a redwood deck chair to fly across the screen right into their heads and take them out?

TXUS on August 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I have three to four large post oaks that have not survived the worst drought in Texas history. Breaks my heart. I have way too many to water.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Synthetic hysteria…yes, I would say that was about right.

Terrye on August 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Dear God,

Please send a tropical depression that will linger over Texas for a few weeks.

Texas

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

dude, you ain’t kidding. There was a brushfire near Randolph AFB today that may have burned up a house or two. We saw flames that were at least 60ft high and the firefighters were working harrrrd! My thermometer read 109F.

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I survived the Blizzard of 2010. Remember that one? Yeah. It was a snow storm.

John the Libertarian on August 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Piker.
I survived the Chicago Snowpocalypse of 2011.
It was me-rather than out of shape husband-that did most of the work digging out my mother-in-law’s(we lived w/her) driveway and back porch.
I am woman-hear me roar.
*runs*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Hey, that’s right, you are in Texas now. Hmmm, the drought started about the time you moved here. It was 109F here in Central Texas today. The five day forecast showed 101F predicated for Thursday. I was excited. Woo hoo, cold front!

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Dear God,

Please send a tropical depression that will linger over Texas for a few weeks.

Texas

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Dude-I just spend 40 minutes in my backyard w/ a weedwacker clearing out weeds that were 2 feet or higher in spots.
We’re in a fraking drought-so how the H*LL did I end up w/ a jungle in my backyard?

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I am woman-hear me roar.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Oh, I’ve heard your roar. ;)

John the Libertarian on August 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

It has been an awful storm and people did lose their lives. There will be flooding power outages and a lot of people will feel the effects of Irene. People have lost their lives..but I think the media over hyped the whole thing.

This is a big country. There will always be some kind of disaster somewhere…but this thing was hyped for days and days.

Terrye on August 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM

When we lived in Chicago I thought 90 was too hot.
What I wouldn’t give for 90 now.
I keep getting mild heat exhaustion because of this crap.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

One word: drought tolerant native weeds.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM

oh yeah, it was really lush n’ green in early July…/not/ we got a lil’ shower the other day and it cooled to 86F for a few hours. It was the coolest 86degrees i’ve ever experienced.

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Barry milks a Cat 1/Tropical storm – saying “this is how government should respond (intimating the Fed response to Katrina).

Hey Ears! THAT WAS A CAT5! You had a heavy drizzle in comparison.

GarandFan on August 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Ed missed a QotD:

The good news: Irene was milder than expected. The bad news: Canned beans for dinner for the next two weeks.

Allahpundit

(And was I relieved to see it!)

Karl on August 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

the parable of the weeds

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Rick Perry.

…lines his gloves with fur of nuked kittens.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Perry microwaves kittens?…

Gohawgs on August 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM

When we lived in Chicago I thought 90 was too hot.
What I wouldn’t give for 90 now.
I keep getting mild heat exhaustion because of this crap.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM

It really is brutal. The only hope is that we are a few weeks away from a definite break in the temps. You are on the South Plains so you should be much more comfortable and sooner than we on the low lands.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

All Hurricane, all the time for 3 days and more. I hope they all feel foolish in all of the newsrooms.

And NYC and DC based people, get a clue. (I am talking to the newsroom decision makers, not the regular folks). The WHOLE WORLD does NOT revolve around your locations. Here in the midwest, we handle tornadoes, ice storms, blizzards, floods, etc. We just deal with it and move on with our lives.

However, when ANY weather related item happens that affect these 2 major metropolitan areas, the 24 hour new channels just go all out. They pre-empt all major programming, etc. Wall to wall coverage.

Frankly, we feel deeply for the people who lost family members in this storm, and also suffered property damage. Almost no one in this economy can afford to do that. We understand that.

But meanwhile, we just are laughing at how foolish all of those idiots on TV seem for severe over-reaction to this storm. Once it got downgraded to a category 1, they should have just gotten their senses back and put everything into perspective of this storm versus the real severe situation of what would have happened had this been a true cat 4 hurricane up the coast, hitting all of the major population areas.

So, from a midwestener, this is to those newsroom decision makers. GET OVER YOURSELVES, YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!

Why aren’t you still running news updates on Joplin, MO? That town was practically blown off the map last month and we haven’t heard a peep from all of you all.

Pfffftttt!!!! on you.

karenhasfreedom on August 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

poor kitties… *whew*

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

One word: drought tolerant native weeds.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM

It’s supposed to be 93 on Thursday and 92 on Labor Day.
Time to dig out my parka.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM

The media always hypes and exaggerates the weather, as seen in this famous clip

glennbo on August 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM

. It was the coolest 86degrees i’ve ever experienced.

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Lol, that explains Texas summer perfectly.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Pfffftttt!!!! on you.

karenhasfreedom on August 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

its the eastcoastocentric theory of the universe. They think they’ll fall off the edge of the earth if they cross over into Fairfax County, VA or get laid over in Cleveland or something….

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM

It’s supposed to be 93 on Thursday and 92 on Labor Day.
Time to dig out my parka.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM

See? Time to plan a ski trip to Ski Apache.

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Define ‘definite break’. Are we talking 80′s or lower.
65-55 is perfect walking weather.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Define ‘definite break’. Are we talking 80′s or lower.
65-55 is perfect walking weather.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Definite break equals not 100 degrees every day. lol

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:49 PM

65-55 is perfect walking weather.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

It’s 67 degrees out here on my patio as I type.

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I had to do my 5+ mile walk to work a few weeks ago in 111.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Well…John the Libertarian hangs out in Seattle for the summer causing the Mariner’s 17 game losing streak AND Ichiro’s sub .350 batting average…

alt and ted c move to Texas and that State experiences one of the worst droughts in its long storied history…

Hmmmm

Gohawgs on August 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Dear God,

Please send a tropical depression that will linger over Texas for a few weeks.

Texas

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

AMEN!!!

obladioblada on August 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

It’s 67 degrees out here on my patio as I type.

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM

well then……..thanks a helluva lot for that….

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

It’s 67 degrees out here on my patio as I type.

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Yes-but my neighborhood is safe enough to go walking in.
It evens out.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Hmmmm

Gohawgs on August 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

and wildfires too. don’t forget that. Also, the last time i lived here, the spurs recruited tim duncan like the day I left–then had a string of championships—I betcha they suck again this year. ahh well.
#itsnotmyfault

works for the whitehouse/

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

well then……..thanks a helluva lot for that….

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

She lives in a not very nice…she lives in a ghetto-in the only state in the union not to allow some form of CC.
We’re hot-but free.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Dear God,

Please send a tropical depression that will linger over Texas for a few weeks.

Texas

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Wrong deity. I need Bush and Cheney to crank up their fantastic Hurricane Machine and send one all over Texas, like they did over Louisiana with Katrina. And, though we don’t have a lot of levees, send your levee destruction teams in, too. Nothing worse than seeing cattle dead from no water, and there’s nothing you can do for them. We’re running out of Indian Rain Dances down here. C’mon George and Dick, you can do it.

TXUS on August 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Night shift? Which hours are those?

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Obama was SO OUT IN FRONT OF THIS TRAGEDY, TRAVESTY, HORRIFIC HISTORIC HURRICANE OF HERMAN MUNSTER TYPE OF HYPE OF DOOM!!!!

Thank goodness for uh o! WTF is that guy’s name again?

Oh, uh, ….. look! A bagel!~

Key West Reader on August 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Night shift? Which hours are those?

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM

aren’t you part of the geochelone-cindy munford-gohawks-dire straits-omaha conservative-formerly canopfor cohort that talks into the wee hours of the night??? ie, the “night crew”….

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Night shift? Which hours are those?

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM

me and cmsinaz are part of the “morning crew”, as well as others y’know…

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Oh, uh, ….. look! A bagel!~

Key West Reader on August 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

If it’s an egg bagel could you grab it and send it to me.
They don’t have them anywhere in Hub City and Lenders doesn’t ship.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

ted c…hawgs

Gohawgs on August 28, 2011 at 9:59 PM

For those who don’t think this storm was a big deal, check out these Vermont home videos at The Weather Channel.

The Mega Independent on August 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM

my bad hawgs, I’m a Hawkeye so my fingers went to the old pattern and just hit “go hawks” …habit yaknow.

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Can you order them online at WM dot com and have them shiped “site to store” (free)? If so, you could pick them up while at work…

Gohawgs on August 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM

If it’s an egg bagel could you grab it and send it to me.
They don’t have them anywhere in Hub City and Lenders doesn’t ship.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Yes but I’m not sure I can throw that far. Gubmint regulations might prohibit me from boiling and baking your bagel. Seein’ how it has an egg and all that LOL

/I’m such a killjoy argh.

Key West Reader on August 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM

No problem, ted…I was breaking the “don’t mess with Texans” rule…

Gohawgs on August 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I do.

Funny old times.

Key West Reader on August 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Yep, but you’ll see me on the OOTD also. I’m one of the old folks who seems to be awake all the time.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

If it’s an egg bagel could you grab it and send it to me.
They don’t have them anywhere in Hub City and Lenders doesn’t ship.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Order your New York Bagels here.

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Gohawgs on August 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Lenders doesn’t do online sales. I might call them tomorrow and BEG them to sell me some egg bagels.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Order your New York Bagels here.

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Those bagels are over six years old, what do you want to do, kill her?? LOL

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Order your New York Bagels here.

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

20 bucks for a dozen bagels+$65.00 for shipping.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Those bagels are over six years old, what do you want to do, kill her?? LOL

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM

She wants egg bagels, I find egg bagels.

What’s not to like?

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I guess you’re in the 24/7 crew then.

ted c on August 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

20 bucks for a dozen bagels+$65.00 for shipping.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I didn’t check out the shipping – yikes!

So, for my next plan; if you can get to Boston, we’ll go to Brookline, (where the real delis are.) Trust me, you’ll be impressed.

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Many of us here in the Texas gulf coast region don’t what all the fuss was about. The general consensus around here is that the media blew the storm WAY out of proportion, the people were terrified by their local governments into believing this would be the end, and overall no one had any real grasp of what danger is. Around here, we don’t worry unless people who live in Galveston leave the island. Then we know we’re in for trouble.

As for the quote that people lost their lives, it is sad. But after the last big hurricane we had here in Texas, hurricane Ike, some people were never found. I never heard the media report that.

madmonkphotog on August 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

She wants egg bagels, I find egg bagels.

What’s not to like?

massrighty on August 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

$65 for shipping and a website that looks like it was put together by a 7 year old?

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM