Perry: Too soon to judge Obama’s handling of Hurricane Irene

posted at 3:30 pm on August 28, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Maybe it’s because the state of Texas has weathered higher category hurricanes with far less fuss than that with which the East Coast is presently handling Hurricane Irene, but Texas Gov. Rick Perry refuses to allow the abundant meteorological moments of this week overshadow the economy. Political Ticker reports:

The Texas governor appeared at a county GOP picnic in Des Moines on Saturday. During an exchange with reporters, Perry was asked if the president has been an effective leader during a week that saw two menacing natural disasters: an earthquake and currently the hurricane.

Though Perry would not cast judgment, he did cast his answer in overtly political terms.

“He has been an absolute disaster as a president from the standpoint of our economy. That’s what people are really focused on,” Perry said. “Taking a snapshot of whether or not he’s appropriately dealt with the hurricane – I don’t know yet. I’ll tell you when the hurricane’s over.”

Frankly, the news media ought to take a leaf out of Perry’s book and remember the economy even in the midst of a rocky weather week. Irene has already caused significant inconvenience to coasters (as Ed reported this morning, 3 million are without power) and, even more tragically, has resulted in at least one death, but the media devoted so much time to the earthquake and pre-storm prep (probably because most of the media is on the East Coast) that the president essentially received a free pass on the dismal economic news that also emerged this week. Weekly jobless claims rose by 5,000. Home mortgage applications dropped to a new 15-year low. The CBO’s positive predictions of deficit reduction were based on measures that will never take effect.

Of course the media should have devoted a significant amount of attention to the earthquake and to Hurricane Irene. Natural disasters are without question newsworthy — and, if Hurricane Katrina taught us anything, it’s that it would always be better to have too much media coverage on the front end than a need for endless media coverage on the back end. But it did seem eventually to grow a little out of proportion. I’ll be eager to read any Pew-Project-for-Excellence-in-Journalism-type research that breaks down the exact distribution of the news this week.

At one point, I found myself so perplexed by the hype (The Weather Channel, for example, featured a reporter dramatically bemoaning roughly 25 mph winds — a relatively common day in states like Oklahoma and Kansas!) that I began to brainstorm conspiracy theories. Could it be, I wondered, that the media wants to concoct a more extreme disaster the president could then be demonstrated to have capably “solved,” to have adequately addressed? (Political Ticker’s headline for the story above helps this theory along, actually: “Perry not ready to praise Obama’s handling of Hurricane Irene,” the hed writer writes, as though it’s automatic and obvious that his handling of the storm should be praised. But, then, I tend to read too much into things.)

I don’t really think that, of course. I think it’s August and news is slow — and, anyway, as it turns out, Irene did hit North Carolina with 85 mph winds — winds well worthy of a bit of bemoaning. By the time it hit the Northeast, it was just a tropical storm, but still damaging. Still, throughout the week, I found Fox News’ Shepard Smith’s consistent talk-down of both weather-related events refreshing and I find Perry’s comments particularly apt now.

The Texas governor followed up his pseudo-criticism of the president with an important reminder: State-level leaders, even more so than the president or other national bureaucrats, will bear the brunt of responsibility of cleaning up after the storm.

“Those governors of those states along the Eastern Seaboard are the ones that are actually going to be making the decisions that save the lives, that prepare for this hurricane, that do the search and rescue, and then frankly – do the first part of the recovery,” Perry said.

Yep. Sure, federal-level disasters mandate a federal-level response, but, in America, folks pitch in and help their neighbors in an emergency. They don’t just wait for FEMA to inefficiently address their problems or for the president to glibly gloss over policy-created crises to wax eloquent about matters out of his control. Or, at least, in the America of my imagination, they don’t. Wish that were always the reality, as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Surely it’s sufficient to vent the generator away from the house. CO from automobile exhaust is usually only a problem when the car is in the garage.

gh on August 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM

He couldn’t stay in the background though. He’s got Bloomberg and Christie out in front of Irene – both potential 2012 candidates. I can’t wait to hear him claim he told people to stop smoking and get the hell off the beach because they had maximized their tans.

ctmom on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I think Christie has blown it the last couple of weeks. Other than Coulter – I don’t think anybody is really clammoring for him to get in the race anymore.

gophergirl on August 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Obama’s ability to Govern, and Hurricane Irene’s Strength were equally over-hyped.

portlandon on August 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I really do appreciate the honest response. It’s frustrating to me, because there are a LOT of people like you out there who won’t give him a fair shake. But that’s the country we live in now.

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I’m not trying to feed you/start a looooooooonnnnnngggg discussion, but you summed it up when you made the statement “But that’s the country we live in now”. Thanks to Barack Insane Obama….this IS the country we live in now and I, plus many, many, many other do not like it and will work hard to get it back to OUR country……nuff said.

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Thanks! I’m moving a CO detector down there now. Yes I have three :)

gophergirl on August 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Agree on Christie, but Obama can’t bear to have anyone else steal the limelight away from him.

ctmom on August 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Yep – that’s about it in a nutshell.

gophergirl on August 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

So a pattern of failure, and failure is how both the left and the right see it (for different reasons obviously), is not enough of a reason?
Can I give him 3 counseling statements and fire him for failure to perform like I would one of my employees? Or should I just keep giving him and my employees the benefit of the doubt because hey, they look good in a dress shirt without a tie and their sleeves rolled up?

donkichi on August 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Newbie?

gh on August 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM

ObamaBot?

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Sorry Knucklehead, I didn’t see your post before I posted the same thing….great minds and all that. *blush*

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

gophergirl on August 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

What do you mean by “a fair shake”. Say, on energy policy ?

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

ObamaBot?

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Nah. More of a Palindrone.

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Nah. More of a Palindrone.

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

LOL, hardly. I’m a Democrat (Hillary primary voter) who has serious problems with Obama’s leadership style, but who thinks he’s a genuinely good man with the country’s best interest at heart. And who deserves to be judged on the merits, case by case.

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Darn, I guess Ed is not going to have an open thread for Mr. Prez’s speechification. Darn, darn and triple darn……////////

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Actually-’resign’ was my first thought-but you know me…I tend to ramble.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Nah. More of a Palindrone.

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

OBot troll.

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Actually-’resign’ was my first thought-but you know me…I tend to ramble.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Yup, MANY great minds and all that.. :) Oh and, we love your rambling! Extra good and many funnies! Keep up the great ramblin annoyinglittletwerp!

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

There’s your first problem.
Most of us here think he’s a malevolent b*stard.
I’m not a birther and I don’t think he’s muslim but I DO think he was elected in large part because of his color rather than his qualifications.
He couldn’t have been elected on his XO experience and leadership skills…because he has NONE!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

gophergirl on August 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Thank you.

petefrt on August 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Aw gee. Now my face is the same shade as my hair. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I thought you meant me … figured it out a bit too late.

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Well the problems are not just with his “leadership style”.

Judging Obama, case by case, is insufficient and it would take an awful long time. Your problem is that you’ve taken at face value the picture the media has presented and you don’t understand how they are lying to you.

Why do you think there is absolutely no information on his academic record available ?

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

He fizzled as Irene fizzled. He proved only one thing, he poses good.

Kissmygrits on August 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I definitely do not take what the media says about Obama at face value; I actually engage in some independent thought about things. (That’s how I came to vote for Hillary). But to your question about his records, what exactly are you expecting to find in there? That he was a C student at Columbia and got into Harvard because of affirmative action? That he was a C student at Harvard and was elected president of the law review because of affirmative action? What would that prove even if it were true? (I’m not going to argue that Obama was the best choice because of his executive experience. Being president requires more skill than being a former governor, as we all so unfortunately are now aware).

And it’s true that the president of the law review is elected, but only by the other law review members. Being selected for the Harvard Law Review is incredibly difficult to do, is blind, and is based on grades and a writing competition.

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

gh on August 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM

For the most part, yes, and and most living spaces are placed above garages rather than beneath them for sound architectural reasons. I’m talking safety not mandates. Monoxide pools just as water pools if their is an enclosed space beneath its source. Auto mechanics who use a “pit” rather than a lift know this and ventilate it. If the power is out and a generator is running then there is the potential for it to collect in living spaces below the source. If the power is out the likelihood of such windows being open to stay cool is greater. I am not suggesting it will happen. I am suggesting it can happen and knowing what can happen is safer than not knowing.

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

publiuspen on August 28, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Of course not. We don’t even have to guess, we have proof: the MSM including FNC, ignored Tennessee’s historic flooding last year. They couldn’t care less.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Adjoran on August 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Great post. That nameplate business had me lol’ing the other day when I saw it.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Slightly OT but this is epic.

Anton on August 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I think the main lesson of Katrina is that politicians should look busy and concerned when a storm is approaching. Having so successfully smeared Bush for his exceptionally good handling of Katrina, performance is no longer good enough. You must look like you’re involved! You must grandstand!

There Goes The Neighborhood on August 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

And who deserves to be judged on the merits, case by case.

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Okie dokie. We can do that. Where do y’all want to start? Energy policy? EPA regulations? Dodd-Frank Act? Healthcare promises? 180 degree turn on wisdom of raising debt ceiling from when dubya was pres? Fast and Furious? New Black Panther voter intimidation case? Pigford ramifications? The only budget he has submitted that contained actual numbers?

a capella on August 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Of course.

gh on August 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Anton on August 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Heh. Nice!

a capella on August 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

OT as well but check out the last one posted. :)

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM

“Could it be, I wondered, that the media wants to concoct a more extreme disaster the president could then be demonstrated to have capably “solved,” to have adequately addressed?”

Now that’s just crazy talk…

Seven Percent Solution on August 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I don’t really think that, of course.

Those blood transfusions from Ed Morrissey are really doing you some damage, Tina.

All this “understanding” of (and concern for) the Traitor-in-Chief is getting downright nauseating.

I don’t want to understand Osama Obama — I want to see his incompetent, America-hating butt booted from the office he holds almost solely because of his skin color.

I’m beginning to wonder how far HA is going to go in this “play nice” vein. It isn’t necessary to respect and appreciate the enemy…only to defeat him.

MrScribbler on August 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Slightly OT but this is epic.

Anton on August 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Too funny!

Knucklehead on August 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Bawahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Sorry! That just strikes me as funny, because it becomes more and more evident everyday that the man DOES NOT have this Country’s best interests at heart!

Susanboo on August 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I missed your reply and then went out. I will go out again later for an hour but I’m glad to continue.

But to your question about his records,

It’s not “what will I find there?” but “why are they hidden?”. The media managed to dig up both Bush and Kerry’s academic records in 2004.

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

It was changed the year before he got in. Smells a lot like affirmative action as was his admission to Harvard. I have also read that the Law Review editor traditionally writes extensively in the review and from Obama? Nothing (almost – there are claims he did write one piece during his tenure).

gh on August 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I’m a Democrat (Hillary primary voter) who has serious problems with Obama’s leadership style, but who thinks he’s a genuinely good man with the country’s best interest at heart…

LOL.

A few questions. Can you answer these with intellectual honesty?

1. What were/are Hillary’s “qualifications” to be:

A. A Senator from New York
B. A Presidential Candidate
C. Secretary of State

2. Give us some credible evidence O’bama is a “good man”. Examples of his own words would be best.

3. If he has “the country’s best interest at heart”, why did the future First Lady say before he was elected that “for the first time in my life I’m proud to be an American”?

And if he has “the country’s best interest at heart”, why did he begin his Presidency by going overseas and apologizing for America?

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM

It’s an “impossible” situation when the people who criticize him don’t have an actual reason for doing so, other than the fact that he’s a Democrat and if he is seen to succeed at anything, that means your chances of electing Romney or whoever next year decrease. I get it, but this site has some sophisticated political thinkers here. Why play this charade with each other?

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I have never, ever, expected POTUS to do anything other than to FAX a press release declaring a situation to be an emergency and hence funds would be released. That’s the way things used to be ever since the fed took on that “responsibility” a few decades ago. As with Katrina, I saw no problem with his flyover. That was more than expected. But no, that wasn’t good enough for Shepherd and the rest of the news-readers that insisted Dubya should have done more. In retrospect, W should have waited a couple more days then flew to NO or any other area where he could get wheels down to check out he damages.

By the way, where was Oboobie a couple of months ago when thousands were displaced by the Mississippi & other river floods? That there was gross mismanagement by the Corps of Engineers who believe their mandate is to give priority to navigational levels for barges and homes be damned by damages exceeding that of lost revenues to the barge industry.

AH_C on August 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

What are Hillary’s qualifications to be President?

As for O’bama at the Harvard Law Review, how come he never authored anything for that publication? He was the first person in the hundreds-year history of that school to have never done so.

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2011 at 6:44 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

you continue to ignore the serious questions about obama people have asked but assert that the only criticisms of him are based on him being a democrat. you are TROLL!! and not a good one either.

chasdal on August 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Did anyone else see the “Sad Sack” picture of Obama in charge at storm central? What a maroon.

Tonynoboloney on August 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

You are very typical of lefties who THINK they are independent thinking analytical types. You’re a joke. You give Obama the same pass that his voters did. Sure you voted for Hillary. Yeh I bet.

CW on August 28, 2011 at 6:54 PM

PhiKapMom on August 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

East Coasters were BLUE states in ’08 (w/ the exception of NH) and TX and OK were RED. That’s ALL we need to know to understand why some are getting $$ immediately and others are not.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM

NEWS LEAD:

Speaking of Obamas…. Here’s Kerry Picket’s Washington Times article today about Obama’s —- Uncle Omar Obama’s DUI drama in Framingham, Taxachusetts. (If it hasn’t been posted somewhere already.)

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Good grief. Leaders — in this case, the LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD — are not judged on a “case-by-case” basis. They are judged as LEADERS based upon the overall state of the organizations they run. President Obama is not the cookie chairman of the local PTA — he is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. And based upon the overall state of this nation, he is an utter failure as a leader. That is an objective observation. Look at the state of the nation, then look at its leader. One is DIRECTLY tied to the other. “Case by case”? That is ridiculous. “Yeah, we had our first downgrade, real unemployment is approaching 20%, home values are still sinking, economic growth is less than 1%, and we’re mired now in three wars — but, wow!, he really did a great job prepping for that hurricane that never came.” Really? You think that is some kind of reasonable assessment of his leadership? It’s absurd.

Rational Thought on August 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Adjoran on August 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Thanks for the good laugh.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Obama sucks. In every case.

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

MrScribbler on August 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Amen. I’ll never forget Allah’s “Congrats” post that infamous November ’08 night…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 7:13 PM

he’s a genuinely good evil man with the country’s best worst interest at heart. And who deserves to be judged on the merits, case by case. dragged out of the WH in handcuffs.

FIFY.

Now, run along little Kos Kiddie!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Actually, NH was Blue in 2008 too. And in 2004.

But we started to clean up that clusterfark in 2010 and will finish the job next year.

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Ack! That’s right… I still can’t get over the fact that formerly sane states like NH, VA, etc. went blue that year. Thankfully some got their brains back right quick (like VA).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Heh….just watched ANOTHER commercial for IkeAttorney.com for people that did not get their damage taken care of by their insurance companies from hurricane IKE! I shouldn’t laugh, I know alot of those people and they STILL have blue tarps on their roof because they can’t fix it (I guess) until the insurance company does what these people paid insurance premiums for. Sad…really sad….
Oh and I know, everyone here in TX knows that flood insurance is NOT a part of your homeowners insurance…. :)

sicoit on August 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM

OT:..There are going to be some good shows on 9-11 events tonight on Nat GEO channel..:)

Dire Straits on August 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Aslans Girl on August 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Excellent editing.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Child, whatever that stuff is you are doing, take a week and do less.

katy the mean old lady on August 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Yep. Former Democrat Governors Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton both prove that in spades. As does FDR. And what about that colossal failure Woody Wilson?

You claim to be an “independent thinker”. If so, will you please go to the Boston Globe Archives and spend $3 to read the opinion piece that (Democrat) historian Richard Goodwin wrote on July 4, 1999? He was a former aide to JFK and LBJ.

In his piece, which was published a year and a half before Clinton left office, Goodwin concluded that his Presidency was a total failure. He could not name one single positive thing that Clinton’s Presidency had actually “accomplished”, other than the end of welfare. And remember, that was not Clinton’s idea.

Funny thing-in his article, Goodwin left one thing out. He never once mentioned the growing menace of terrorism. And as we all later found out, former Governor Bill Clinton left his former Governor successor the 9/11 attacks.

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

So far the federal response to Irene has been inconsequential in our lives.

MaggiePoo on August 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM

The drought in Texas has cost more in economic impacts and damages than this hyped up event. Where is the disaster declaration for Texas? It took Obama 3 months to cough one up for the fires. Additionally, they finally coughed up a disaster declaration for the MS river floods, yet they pre-declared the entire eastern coast of the US a disaster area for a trumped up Hurricane. We got worse here in Texas from Ike.

What a bunch of p*ss**s on the east coast, is all I can say.

The tornadoes over the summer, it took Obama 7 days to respond to Joplin.

What a joke this president is. He can finally look “important” over a hurricane and even that fails.

BTW, Bush didn’t let New Orleans down, Blanco and Nagin did.

James on August 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

You may have voted for Hillary in the Primary, but did you vote for B.O. in the General? I hope you don’t think the Hillary supporters think like you do about B.O. I can’t believe you are supporting him yet! Aren’t you aware of all of the Hillary supporters that voted Republican in 2008??????? You can bet there will many more in 2012 if B.O. is still running for re-election.

If you are still a Hillary supporter, you are 100% out of step when you say B.O. is a “good man with the Country’s best interest at heart” Were you trying to be comical?

A Hillary supporter would disown you if they see what you have posted, I can tell you that. I can’t say here what they would call you tho.

bluefox on August 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM

viking01 on August 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Have been reading your information on generators. Since I know very little about them, I appreciate all of your info and advice!!

bluefox on August 28, 2011 at 11:37 PM

BTW, Bush didn’t let New Orleans down, Blanco and Nagin did.

James on August 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Which is why LA now has Governor Bobby Jindal.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2011 at 12:21 AM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Duh, “the country we live in”.

It was the same country when your side treated GWB the same, and he actually was a president.

We even knew his grades.

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

The narcissist charlatan deserve NO fair anything. He fooled a world and will be punished for it. You fools go ahead and relish the next few month ’cause yer party will end after that.

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM

deserves….and next few months….

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM

And who deserves to be judged on the merits, case by case.

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Case by case, aside from granting the SEALs to kill Osama, what the heck has he done that is positive?

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Actually, that’s only true for some of the selections.

In Obama’s case, a colleague recalled his election as President. The process went through 52 ballots with no one able to win a majority. It functioned like the Iowa caucuses, with lobbying and politicking going on between ballots. She remembered Obama was the only member who had not spoken up in favor of another candidate, and had stayed out of the arguments and dealing which got so contentious that everyone was pissed off at everyone else. Except Obama, elected by a worn-out group on the 53rd ballot.

But, hey, it’s not how you get the office, it’s what you do with it, right? So, was Harvard Law Review distinguished under Obama? No. He was a figurehead, and only contributed a single unsigned article himself – to the publication he controlled which was one of the great showcases for upcoming legal talent.

Then he spend 14 years with a sweet little position lecturing on Con Law. No grading, no tenure track, it’s usually the sort of slot that rotates among prominent legal thinkers, which Obama clearly is not.

14 years without publishing one single scholarly article, how does one holding a desirable post manage to get away with that?

Obama has never shown any particular ability or talent other than speaking. Nothing he has ever said or written convinces me he is of more than average intelligence, any more than I believe Sean Penn is of more than average intelligence just because he can memorize his lines and deliver them convincingly.

Adjoran on August 29, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Perry’s absolutely correct.

In fact, when it’s all said and done, we’ll learn that, like with everything else in his Presidency thus far, Obama didn’t actually do a damn thing, before, during or after the hype storm.

I live in central Connecticut. Aside from some broken branches and lots of leaves cluttering up yards and driveways and gutters, this thing was little more than a big rain storm. “OOOOOOOhhhhhh SCARY! I was without power for a whole 12 hours!/” The blizzards we’ve experienced the last few years have been far more damaging and difficult in dealing with than this puddle.

My money says that all Obama did in his “command center” was look at the screen every once so often and then go back to playing Wii Golf…

SuperCool on August 29, 2011 at 5:16 AM

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Prompted people to start talking about politics. If one wasn’t involved before, he brought it out in them. In the end, it will work against him but his policies, demeanor and incapabilities got the ball rolling for some.

sherry on August 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

You left out “has a demonstrably false philosophy of government”, but, if you are a Democrat and a Clinton supporter, I don’t really expect you to have realized that yet.

Count to 10 on August 29, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Has Obama offered (and publicly done so) to assist Texas in their current, ongoing severe drought? The fires that ensued due to such? Millions if not billions of dollars lost there…

What about the Midwest floods? Was Obama making public announcements to assist the floods? Why not?

It seems he uses selective emergencies as he sees useful to his political plan/s but he’s surely not “handling” things as a President.

Lourdes on August 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Yes, but this Cat 2 Cat 1 hurricane tropical storm was suppose to rain on New York, that made it worthy of special hyping.

keep the change on August 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I think that’s the summation of things. Bloomberg’s theatrics were too much of an opportunity for Obama to not compete with. And New York, lots and lots of Democrat voters, so…

While even the Grand Ole Oprey was flooded out, not a word and maybe one wire service article about it…repaired and resurrected by locals, not by the federal and certainly ignored by Obama and his bunch. I’m sure Bloomberg considered that ridiculous, that the locals took care of their own problems.

Lourdes on August 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM

What has Jugears done to help the drought-stricken farmers suffering from a man-made disaster in California due to that frikkin’ little fish?

Oh, I know. He oversaw the creation of the man-made disaster.

Thanks, super-genius articulate jugeared failure.

hillbillyjim on August 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Oh, I know. He oversaw the creation of the man-made disaster.

Thanks, super-genius articulate jugeared failure.

hillbillyjim on August 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Also that man-made disaster in California of stopping the water availability to, mostly, Conservatives inland (and most were Caucasians), effectively driving them out of the state to survive or if they remained, to go bankrupt and certainly to fail their businesses (no water, no agriculture in CA’s inland desert).

Lourdes on August 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

He got 700+ republicians elected in 2010.

unseen on August 29, 2011 at 10:33 AM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

And YET, Obama published/wrote nothing that anyone else can read or review.

In his particular case, it’s incredibly obvious how and why he was appointed to what and admitted by whom to what. If he HAD credible qualifications, there would be something (“hard copy”) available to substantiate that. since there ISN’T any of that, it’s reasonable to conclude that he was what’s called ‘a legacy student’ — admitted to Ivy Leagues based upon someone making good on his related costs and the schools gleaning some sort of Social Justice cred for creating a socialite character that would enable others to feel better about themselves (or via whom the other students could bypass social requirements in order to service academics).

Lourdes on August 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Being selected for the Harvard Law Review

Other Harvard Law students regard that position as a resume-pad. It’s something awarded to he/she who is most in need of being plumped up socially, and, in doing so, it relieves students who are more seriously occupied in academics to proceed otherwise.

Lourdes on August 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM

cjw79 on August 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Obama’s being judged on his job performance. Trying to fall-back on the Leftwing default appeal of “he’s a victim” is not going to work this time.

It only works on the weak-minded, sorta’ like the Jedi Mind Tricks.

Lourdes on August 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I’d grade PHBO as a solid B+…

If he wants an A+, he needs to put on an oversized hard hard, with a light on, and ride around alone in the top of a FEMA vehicle…

Think Michael Dukakis, in a tank, in 1988…

Khun Joe on August 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM