President to end vacation early, return to Washington

posted at 4:05 pm on August 26, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It took the storming of Tripoli, an earthquake and a hurricane, but the dramatic events of this August at last conspired to force President Obama to prove he’s willing to forgo a little R&R, after all. (Although, personally, I think it was the president’s completion of the golfing trifecta that did it. You know how too much fun can eventually pall on you, such that a work routine begins to look appealing again? Bet that’s true for the president, too.) Reuters reports:

The White House said that President Barack Obama would depart from his vacation here Friday evening, one day earlier than planned, and return to Washington.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the president had decided to go home early in advance of the expected landfall of Hurricane Irene on the East Coast. Obama’s wife and daughters will travel back as planned Saturday.

Yes, it’s only one night and it does smack of “too little, too late,” but it’s still a relief to know the president has some sense of presidential propriety, some appreciation for optics. I toe Ed’s line of empathy for the president’s personhood — as Ed has said repeatedly, everybody deserves the chance to recharge at times and the president is always the president, regardless of where he is at any given moment (as the need for presidential responses to Libya and Hurricane Irene has very aptly proved!) — but, for all that August is supposed to be a quiet month, Obama couldn’t have picked a worse time to leave 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Never thought I’d say this, but I’m actually glad to welcome him back to the White House.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh great. We get to pay for two sets of motorcades, helicopters, airplanes and secret service. Couldn’t BO and MO at least travel one way together?

Cecil on August 26, 2011 at 4:08 PM

My first thought.

INC on August 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Well Moochele had no choice but to travel home with “stinky.” Tapper was the one who had the story earlier and I believe she was going to stay an extra day until the warnings made her go.

sandee on August 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Are you, there?

tinkerthinker on August 26, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I do not see what all the fuss. He is heading back to DC to fulfill a campain process.
Something about this being the time the sea did something because of him…..

mechkiller_k on August 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Obama’s wife and daughters will travel back as planned Saturday.

Won’t they be returning to DC in the midst of the storm?

disa on August 26, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Nah, Michelle was afraid the hurricane would hit her butt.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM

At what time is estimated buttfall?

disa on August 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Well, I guess he got his golfing in, and that’s what he cared about. It’s either head back to Washington or spend time with the family… and if family time mattered they probably wouldn’t have taken different planes heading out there.

malclave on August 26, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Either something is going on, or him and his MIL are not getting along

ConservativePartyNow on August 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM

She keeps raising the bar.

Hey, did she ever get the rhodium ring that he promised her if she behaved well?

disa on August 26, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Why stay when you played all the courses?

djaymick on August 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM

At a minimum, a long weekend at Camp David could be nice, unless he can find a more exclusive vacation spot.

wren on August 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM

There is no more exclusive vacation spot than Camp David, but they’re looking for celebrity-type exclusiveness.

I think nature makes Barry nervous, unless it’s got 18 holes.

disa on August 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM

You missed the news. It’s been downgraded to a sketch on the back of a cocktail napkin.

Cicero43 on August 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Actually, he put it together on the golf course. He fudged his score for every hole, and then came up with a total score, bottom-line number that defied reality. He was overheard to say “Hey, that looks like a plan!”

Just watch, his jobs outline will have exactly 18 points.

Yoop on August 26, 2011 at 7:58 PM

He’s only coming back early because the weather at Martha’s Vineyard will suck.

BobOfTexas on August 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM

His plan/outline/idea was spotted on the back of his golf scorecard.
1. Borrow and spend.
2. ??????????
3. Create jobs.

Sounds like a sure winner.

countrybumpkin on August 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Maybe they can’t stand to be around each other.

bopbottle on August 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Just when I thought we had nothing in common.

Barnestormer on August 26, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Hold the phones, everyone. ObaMao is coming home because he said that this impending hurricane is historic. I kid you not.

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I think nature makes Barry nervous, unless it’s got 18 holes.

disa on August 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM

He must just hate the privacy there. NPD types have to have those throngs of worshippers around them, it’s like the fix that a drug addict needs. That’s why they appear to like places like Marxist Vineyard.

slickwillie2001 on August 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I actually looked forward to his “Take-this-storm-seriously” speech because I expected him to finally say something different from the “everything-is-the-Republicans’-fault-’cause-I’m-doing-everything-right” speech he has been giving for the last 10 months.

I was wrong.

Even this speech he had to start with “It is the consensus of all the most respected meteorologists that this storm will be historic….” (I paraphrase, but I’m not kidding.)

What an ass. He even polls the weatherguys, and instinctively knows the ones who are right. /s

If he seriously wants people to evacuate, he needs to either 1) shut up. Or 2) get Hillary to tell’em to evacuate. Even in liberal New England, nobody listens to Obama anymore. They may vote for him in 2012, but they ignore what he says.

rwenger43 on August 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Living in Florida, I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for the permanent residents of the Vineyard to prepare for this hurricane with all that excess baggage on the island. It’s bad enough for such a little place to be disrupted, when there aren’t any problems. I’m sure his presence there now is making things a little hairy.

bflat879 on August 26, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I am sure he can’t wait to work on his jobs plan.
mwbri on August 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

He will be like George’s boss, Mr. Kruger, on Sienfeld. Everyone will be working on the jobs plan and Obama will be at the head of the table spinning around in his chair!

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM

My first thought before clicking on this article was that he must have lost his last golf ball, so it’s time to leave.

Not like there’s any other pressing business in governing. But I’ll give him that there’s none that he could do is capable of doing.

IrishEyes on August 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM

No fine dining. No fabulously wealthy adoring supporters. No throngs of press. They would all just have to spend time together privately or something.

Not the place for Barry & Michelle.

Missy on August 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM