Video: Fallen SEAL’s dog won’t leave his side during funeral

posted at 5:05 pm on August 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

Footage from the memorial service of Jon Tumilson, a small-town Iowa boy who loved his country and his dog and who, by the way, was one of the most elite soldiers in the world’s greatest military. He died aboard the Chinook that was shot down by the Taliban over Wardak Province a few weeks ago. He’s survived by his parents, two sisters, and his chocolate lab Hawkeye, whose bond with his master was so close that the family chose a photo of the two of them to be placed above the casket. What you’re about to see will haunt you forever. Simply shattering.

The Des Moines Register has a worthy obituary, celebrating Tumilson’s iron will power and lamenting the fact that he was just three years away from retirement. Rest in peace.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If God sent a message when he took Jon Tumilson it was … “I’m taking him back – because you don’t deserve him”.

HondaV65 on August 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM

*sniff* and Amen to that HondaV65…..Amen…..

sicoit on August 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I was holding up until I saw Hawkeye lying by his casket. That’s when the tears came for me.

MJBrutus on August 24, 2011 at 6:45 PM

HondaV65 on August 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Could not have said it better. While sad, my heart also wells with anger at every single one of the damned politicians who keep putting mindless obstacles and senseless ROEs in the way of real heroes like this fine man. May God rest his soul and look over his loved ones, including his beloved dog.

And, while I’m at, thank you for your service to our country, past and present.

TXUS on August 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Godspeed Mr. Tumilson. You are a credit to this country and someday, Hawkeye will find you.
carbon_footprint on August 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM

+1000000.

NickelAndDime on August 24, 2011 at 7:13 PM

*looks sad*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Ah, hell, I started crying before I even turned the page. God keep his worthy soul.

SukieTawdry on August 24, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Oh, this is just so sad.

stenwin77 on August 24, 2011 at 7:42 PM

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.”
General George Patton

Still, not easy.

Speakup on August 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM

well I blame obama and him being an attention whore. NEVER EVER NEVER EVER should the admin said who took down osama. There is an old saying ” Loose lips sink ships” well they proved that axiom true, they HAD to blab so they could be in the lime light and they were the cause of that air ship being SUNK! way to go team barry This is all on you, you cant blame W for it. ya POS.

ColdWarrior57 on August 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM

At times like these, sadness and the sense of loss reminds us of the sacrifice that our Heroes make on our behalf. May God comfort the family in their sorrow and as time goes by, may their good memories ease their great loss. Seeing the picture of his dog, was heartbreaking as well.

Rest in Peace Hero.

bluefox on August 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM

So very well said.

Gang-of-One on August 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Man’s best friend. There’s a reason dogs have earned the monicker.

Rest in peace, soldier.

Good Lt on August 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

RIP hero. I almost made it through the video, until I saw Hawkeye keeping watch at the foot of his master. Prayers to his family and friends.

DrAllecon on August 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

ColdWarrior57 on August 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Exactly.
Obozo’s on the job training and massive ego, are the reasons behind this tragedy.

Funny how the “Mainstream Media” has been completely silent about it though, isn’t it????

KMC1 on August 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM

May God bless the both of you, and all of yours.

hillbillyjim on August 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Oh man….my 2 dogs are looking at me and wondering what’s so sad. Back later.

Fortunata on August 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM

God Bless that Man and his Family, and God Damn those Bastards Obama and Biden.

teacherman on August 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I feel so unworthy.
No words.

44Magnum on August 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

“In the world which we know, among the different and primitive geniuses that preside over the evolution of the several species, there exists not one, excepting that of the dog, that ever gave a thought to the presence of man.” –Maurice Maeterlinck ‘Our Friend, The Dog’

Prayers and sympathies to the family of Jon Tumilson, his dog, and his family. Excuse my, while I go chase my cat down to give him a hug.

Mutnodjmet on August 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Pass the Kleenex, please.

SouthernGent on August 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Here was a man.

Proverbs 27:17

J.E. Dyer on August 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM

As much as it may hurt PLEASE NEVER SAY ‘REST N PEACE’ Instead say Rejoicing In Paradise in the presence of the Lord

hamradio on August 24, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Anyone notice Marcus Luttrell in the photo with Jon. This guy was top notch.

God rest his soul. Makes me proud and profoundly sad.

katy on August 25, 2011 at 12:06 AM

What you’re about to see will haunt you forever.

Thanks for the warning. You were correct.

Jon Tumilson

Godspeed, Sir.

rukiddingme on August 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM

All you liberal elitists and Washington pundits, this is what fly-over country produces. As much as you denigrate and laugh at them, your existence depends on them. Your feeble whinings don’t keep us free, they do. Their blood feeds the tree of liberty and your blood pools in your fat a$$es while your disdain for them oozes from your bent and twisted psyches onto the pages of dying liberal rags that add no more to freedom than a cold match in a forest fire.
Although I wore the uniform proudly, I never fired a shot in anger. I never had to duck “incoming” or feel the exhilaration of being shot at and missed. I will never know if I had the stuff of these brave men. Because of that unknowing I hold my service as tepid and weak. Imagine the contempt I have for you who hate and revile them for the strength of character the likes of which you can’t even imagine.
I am not sad for Jon; he sees the face of God and stands in His presence and that is a glorious thing. I am sad for the loss of his goodness and strength. We need every bit of it this country can produce. Not to die for us, but to show us how to live.

SKYFOX on August 25, 2011 at 7:17 AM

I’m not ashamed to admit it…my eyes got a bit watery there…

JetBoy on August 25, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Man’s best friend. There’s a reason dogs have earned the monicker.

Rest in peace, soldier.

Good Lt on August 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Though the unique nature of the dog has a good deal to do with the relationship with man, I believe that it is given to much credit. Like the dog, other creatures have experienced similar relationships that it never would have had without its owner. I believe that these unique interspecies relationsips are due to man being made in the image of God.

shick on August 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I’m not ashamed to admit it…my eyes got a bit watery there…

JetBoy on August 25, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Me too Jetboy. As an owner of a black lab, it just made it harder to see the screen.

JohnnyD on August 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM

shick on August 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Is there a particular wine you’d like to go with that can of worms you just opened? I’m not sure that I agree that animals understand the nature of God as would be required for your statement to be true. The current thinking is that man created dog – there was an interesting TV program about that – and it appears to make sense as far as it goes. I contend that the relationship was a set-up…planned…almost intelligently designed to be that way.

Extrafishy on August 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Rest in peace, handsome brave one. I hope your best friend’s heart will mend one day.

RepubChica on August 25, 2011 at 8:57 AM

SKYFOX on August 25, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Right now, more than ever. Best words here. May all the men killed RIP and their families receive comfort in this time.

And may Americans wake up to exactly why these men died, and do something about it. Now before it’s too late.

jackal40 on August 25, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Bit dusty in here, I think.

Red Cloud on August 25, 2011 at 9:45 AM

It’s this stuff that makes HotAir the best website on the net. This is the reason I’ll never stop coming here.

I wish I was man enough to watch the video. But I can’t at the moment. My own dog is curled at my feet. I’m weepy like the rest of the fine folks here.

I want so badly to believe that this world is temporary and there’s something beyond … and that someday soon this man and his best friend will be running the beaches together again.

Oh, hell. I’m going to wipe my eyes and go hug my dog now.

Thanks, AP.

We’re all so lucky to have men like this leading the way. I feel both unworthy and so very blessed.

Professor Blather on August 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Uh….I don’t know if I can do it.

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I know I can’t. Could barely bring myself to even click the post.

MadisonConservative on August 25, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I’d like to find Ted Rall…

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I think if either of us came into contact with that maggot after something like this, what we’d do to him is something better left unspoken.

MadisonConservative on August 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM

shick on August 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I thought about this yesterday. A believer in evolution would say that the dog’s loyalty is a conditioned response bred into his DNA over the centuries, tailored to maximize his breed’s chance of survival.

A religious person sees that image and thinks that God put that dog, in that spot, at that time, to comfort and to send a message of Love and loyalty.

Use whichever of those beliefs you prefer. Or both at once, which is what I do.

hawksruleva on August 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I’d like to find Ted Rall…

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM

MadisonConservative on August 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I concur with both your sentiments and your wisdom in not expressing them. I like you guys and wouldn’t want you to get banned!

Mary in LA on August 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Tears

NO greater Love than a man lay down his life for his brother

God Bless his soul. Bod bless his dear family. God bless his dear and loyal dog

Thank you to all who attended the funeral.

THis fine young man three years from retirement. The Lord greats him with open arms. I know he is in glory and one day he will meet again his loyal friend and loving family

I met someone recently who had left the military after 12 years. I could only think, 8 years to get a pension, but eight years is a thousand lives to lose. Another young man I know back from Afghanistan could not get work here, even with his old employer who was hiring. He re enlisted to the Rangers. Another, who could only get a janitor job at the big box store is on his way th Afghanistan, this week he said. He could have run that store

It is not as one crass pol stated, that the military is a trap for the jobless. Instead those who do not serve have made the most of the service of others. The heroes fighting our wars stand between us and terror. They are not the toys of politicans. They are young because the old are too old for the job. These warriors risk youth, health, and their lives. We owe them everything we have

Tears

entagor on August 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Amazing sacrifice.

Wasn’t there an announcement or such the other day that we’re going to be in Afghanistan until at least 2024?

More of these sad times to come.

PappyD61 on August 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Some classy responses at DU

And from another DU thread

Maybe now some people can understand

why I’m angry and depressed almost all the time. These wars are so f*cking useless. They only make money for people who are already rich, and destroy lives of those already poor. The ultimate class warfare.

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Sailor, rest your oar!

Clear and safe your weapon, SEAL…your mission is complete. Job well done!

Go to God, deserving of all His love. God’s love and a dog’s love are unconditional and eternal.

You and your beautiful friend will be together again.

grumpy_old_soldier on August 26, 2011 at 5:24 AM

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Del, please…I wouldn’t visit that site for beer money.

SKYFOX on August 26, 2011 at 7:55 AM

The words of HondaV65 are so appropriate that there is little more to be said.

Therefore, as a Retired (Viet Vet) it is appropriate for a slow, deliberate, proper salute and “Missing Man” fly by.

I salute you Sailor, enjoy your new assignment.

MSGTAS on August 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Liberals sleep secure at night because rougher and better men than they stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Bevan on August 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Thank you, Jon Tumilson, for defending my freedom to wake up each day and sleep each night in peace and safety. I am proud of you and the men and women that serve us. You remain a true symbol of honor and dignity.

RDE2010 on August 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM