Video: Bush remembers 9/11

posted at 9:29 pm on August 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

A short promo from National Geographic TV to tease their one-hour special about his memories of the attack debuting this Sunday at 10 p.m. ET. As I understand it, there’s no narration and you never hear the questions being put to him by the interviewer. It’s just him, for the full hour, remembering. The last post has me thinking: If Perry ends up as the nominee, the fact that Bush has conducted himself graciously since leaving office will take some of the sting out of the inevitable “Perry is Bush on steroids” Democratic talking points, which is mighty ironic given the tensions between their two camps. It won’t shield Perry completely — most voters still blame Bush for the state of the economy, not Obama, which is why you’ll hear his name mentioned frequently next year — but between the commemorations of the tenth anniversary of 9/11 and the fact that Dubya’s never complained about the criticism, those attacks won’t have the bite that they otherwise might have.

Speaking of politicians and their reactions to 9/11, go read Treacher’s post about NYC mayor-in-training Alec Baldwin and his just-asking-questions approach to what happened that day. If we’re very, very lucky, Mayor Baldwin will share his unique inquisitiveness from the podium at Ground Zero on the 20th anniversary of the attacks. Remember a few weeks ago when he told the Times he was thinking of getting a master’s degree in politics so that he’d better understand how to run New York? Here’s your first lesson, Alec: Try not to sound like a Truther on your Twitter feed.

Comments

Bush names Pakistan our major ally.

keep the change on August 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM

W has class. Something BO is sorely sorely lacking.

KeepOhioRed on August 24, 2011 at 9:35 PM

The greatest president besides Reagan in a very long time. Think about it. Compare the rest. Even if you didn’t like him on some issues, compare him to everyone else. He will come out looking very good.

thebrokenrattle on August 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM

This, I will always thank God for: that we had W as CIC instead of Algore at this moment in our history.

carbon_footprint on August 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I have always said that history will be very kind to this man.

carbon_footprint on August 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM

oh how they hated this man, by the way I eagerly await his speech at the Convention when he salutes Obama for continuing his terror policies, on STEROIDS.

rob verdi on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Seeing that jet hit the tower just rose the anger in me again.
10 years? Seems like yesterday.

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I’m dreading this year’s anniversary.

Blake on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

With his faults, I still miss the guy. Thank you for your strength and (real) leadership, Mr. President.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I will be watching. Seems interesting.

terryannonline on August 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Alec Baldwin is a foofer!

John the Libertarian on August 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Lets force the GOP to make W the keynote speaker at the convention.

Woot!

BobMbx on August 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM

‘Do you miss me yet?’

Who ever put that billboard up deserves to win the lottery…chuckle…

percysunshine on August 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Boy, I miss that Texan.

Dusty on August 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM

DVR set up.

And yes, it really does seem like yesterday…

I miss you Mr President

Markvike on August 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM

There is a Nat Geo video out with Giuliani 10 years later…very good. The knot in the pit of my stomach came right back.

d1carter on August 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Yes! I miss you!

d1carter on August 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Yep. I was living in Michigan at the time, and my wife and I had our first (only) child, a premature infant that was well enough to come home from the hospital. She had been home for exactly 4 weeks, and my wife was taking her to her first doctor’s appointment. I was at work 45 miles away when the attacks occurred and was so distraught and confused and didn’t know if I would see my baby girl again.

We were crowded around a secretary’s portable TV and watched the second plane hit and subsequent collapses. I cannot get that memory out of my head. My daughter is 10 now and still doesn’t quite understand what happened that day. I don’t want to shield her from it, but I don’t want her to feel the pain, tragedy fear, and anger that I felt that day.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM

He dealt with an unimaginable (yes, it was unimaginable at the time) type of attack as best a president could.
Slobs like Michael Moore and his fellow libtards then sit back and pretend that smart people like them would have reacted differently. These hindsight geniuses nauseate me.
History will (and already is) treating Bush far better than our blindly partisan “media.”

Sugar Land on August 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I always liked Dubya even if I didn’t always agree.It is astonishing watching this video and being reminded of what Presidential looks and sounds like. I will definitely be tuning in.

Southernblogger on August 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Does Dubya talk about giving the go-ahead order to the Mossad to begin the attack?

It had to have been Bush and the Israelis behind 911.

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Bush is awful busy these days, between this and setting off earthquakes in DC to the Hurricane he and Rove cooked up due to make landfall soon.

jp on August 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Sure miss him.

Dingbat63 on August 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM

So when do we get to see the unedited network video of all those poor people falling to Earth from the towers? Not that I’m being ghoulish but Americans need to be reminded what sort of savages are out there pounding on our gates.

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

It had to have been Bush and the Israelis behind 911.

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I hear ya.
The look on the President’s face after getting the news was a person trying to comprehend how, why and who would do this.
He certainly didn’t look like someone that had inside knowledge of what just happened.

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Whenever someone asks me about that day, about what I remember most, I say, “I remember thinking, ‘Thank God George W. Bush is our president right now.’” It’s what everyone was thinking, whether they care to admit it or not.

Rational Thought on August 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Like many others, I miss Dubya.

The man was a darn good leader, even if we disagreed on 5-10% of the issues. If history is to continue to be a good and fair judge of presidents, I think he should remain near the top during our recent history.

knob on August 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

My takeaway is there were and still are adherents of a religion who in the name of that religion commit very cowardly mass murder while screaming “God is Great!”, and that religion doesn’t sufficiently distance themselves from said adherents. That remains a problem, no less than it was 10 years ago.

Paul-Cincy on August 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM

thebrokenrattle on August 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Agreed. May God Bless President George W. Bush.

Zorro on August 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Seeing that jet hit the tower just rose the anger in me again.
10 years? Seems like yesterday.

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Yep. Some might forget those images. I never will.

joejm65 on August 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM

That remains a problem, no less than it was 10 years ago.

Paul-Cincy on August 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I totally agree.
If they could do it again today…it would happen.

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I. Totally. Agree. We’ve never had anything but the sanitized, redacted story of what those people suffered — with lots of talk about “respect for the dead,” which pisses me off even more because it’s never been about that. We’ve been covering up the savagery for a decade now. Let the sun shine in. Show the world what terrorist attacks really look like.

Rational Thought on August 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Speaking of cultural contrasts, here’s a photo that was tweeted today by David Limbaugh. It’s clever, but (a) there’s already an obvious liberal counterattack and (b) it’s easier to get traction with the “noble serviceman versus slacker dandy” comparison if the slacker dandy in question didn’t give the order to shoot Osama Bin Laden in the face.

Respectfully, AP, I disagree with your conclusion that the photo can so easily be discounted. The side-by-side of Perry in Air Force regalia on the side of a jet, Obama looking like just another street punk, cigarette hanging out of his mouth, both age 22, sends much more than a message about who has the best military chops. It speaks volumes about the men’s choices when they were young, something that resonates much deeper with the voters than where they are now.

TXUS on August 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Yeah. After 10 years and 2 wars…I’m still not satisfied. I realize that I may never be, either. Just an old man, bitterly clinging to things that once were proud icons of what being an American use to mean.

BobMbx on August 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I will never forget how shaky I felt in the blur of days that followed that horrible Tuesday morning. Then that amazing Friday transpired. Between Pres. Bush’s speech at the cathedral and his “bull-horn” moment I was able to find my own equilibrium and knew that somehow or other we were going to be okay. He gave me strength and courage and inspired in my a commitment to persevere. This, I think is the core of the left’s hatred of the man. They will NEVER be able to take that away from him and they know that not since the days of Truman have they been able to field a man of equal character. God bless you President Bush I will always be thankful for your faithful stewardship.

PrincipleStand on August 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM

W got a heavy burden suddenly pushed front and center with no warning. I’ve often thought how blessed we were as a nation that Algore was not in that position. Bush also had significant executive experience before entering the White House, unlike the current resident. I cannot help but wonder if we will remain unscathed on this 10th anniversary.

IrishEyes on August 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Great on 9/11, and taxes.

Not good on deficits, immigration, wasted years and American treasure in Afghanistan trying to beat a 4th world country, September 2008 crisis, Education under MORE Fed control, left us a completely castrated GOP, and best of all helped gift us with Obama.

No more Bushes or faux Conservatives.

PappyD61 on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Just seeing the 2nd jet hit the tower pisses me off. I’m still mad as a hornet over this crap. Good thing GW was POTUS and not me. I’d have bombed all of the Islamist countries until they were glass.

roux on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

W has class. Something BO is sorely sorely lacking.

KeepOhioRed on August 24, 2011 at 9:35 PM

+1000

H#ll yes!

cmsinaz on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

There is a real man of solid character in George W. Bush. If he had never been more than just that, he would have made a far better example of what a real man is, than the current occupant of the White House will ever be in a hundred years.
We can disagree with some of his policies, and I most certainly do, but George W. Bush is a solid good man.

Lew on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I cannot help but wonder if we will remain unscathed on this 10th anniversary.

IrishEyes on August 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I expect some vandalism from the DKos types, but nothing beyond that. At least, not here. England, Germany, even Russia maybe.

BobMbx on August 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Never. Those people are friends now.

kim roy on August 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM

DVR is set…Thanks Allah

cmsinaz on August 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

They showed unedited new video on the History Channel last year that they got from new witnesses. I’m sure they’ll show it again this year. It’s awful to watch and the sound is even worse.

Knucklehead on August 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

the way bush handled 9/11 was the best thing of his time as President and for that he will always have my thanks.

unseen on August 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I cannot help but wonder if we will remain unscathed on this 10th anniversary.

IrishEyes on August 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I’m flying from Chicago to London and then on to Prague September 11 on American Airlines. I didn’t realize the date until a week after I booked the flight. The airfare was incredibly cheap for that day, now I know why, or I’m paranoid.

To say I’m nervous would be an understatement.

Knucklehead on August 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, we often remember these things through the lens of a parent trying to do the right thing. My son was 9, and after the towers fell I thought I better call his school and see if they wanted to send the k ids home. They had already told the kids his age and up what happened, and wanted to keep them there so as not to disrupt the routine and scare them.

After i brought him home, I let him watch the news coverage and calmly explained it, but at one point later that evening I let him see me cry. I wanted him to know we were all going to be alright, but also that what had happened was not ok and that the people who did it were a special kind of evil.

juliesa on August 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Knucklehead on August 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

folks need to see it and remember….

i taped path to 9/11 when they aired it on ABC a few years back…i watch yearly now…never forget…

cmsinaz on August 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM

carbon_footprint on August 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Me, too. I said it to myself that very morning.

Missy on August 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM

PrincipleStand on August 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM

The bullhorn moment was great and it’s easy to find video of, but people forget about that cathedral speech. They shouldn’t.

juliesa on August 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Knucklehead on August 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I believe there is still miles of footage from angles that show some really gruesome stuff, close ups and such. Not that it HAS to be seen but it should be available so Americans can get reacquainted with who we are fighting.

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I’m with you on this, but those weren’t people “falling” from the towers, but people those evil bastards gave no choice to but to jump from them. The buildings getting hit, them falling, I will never forget, but the videos of those people jumping are so seared into me that they are my first and last memories of that fateful day. It is not ghoulish at all to want that video to be shown again and again and again. I put it in the same category as Jews, and those among us who are Christians who witnessed their plight, the category of “Never Again.”

TXUS on August 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Images from that day still conjure bitter vengeance in my heart, sorry to admit. Sadness, mostly, but seething desire for reprisal as well. Nothing will erase that pain though.

EarthToZoey on August 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Bush names Pakistan our major ally.

keep the change on August 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM

7 year old article?

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Thank you President Bush.

BacaDog on August 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

TXUS on August 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM

..you make a valid point on the original picture here; also, Allah pointed out what he called “an obvious liberal counter-attack” here.

As I commented on another thread, if that’s all they got — the juxtaposition of two USAF pilots astride their aircraft — then they must be running on empty.

The original picture (that you describe) could become iconic — much like that stupid-asssed “Hope” poster.

The War Planner on August 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

cmsinaz on August 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Also never forget the people who are censoring that movie. You’ll not see it commercially, because it’s an Inconvenient Truth.

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM

tru dat

cmsinaz on August 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM

My youngest was 3 on 9/11/01. I asked her today what she knew of that day. Other than what she and I have discussed, …nothing.

I will be talking with her more…

Markvike on August 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Thank you for your leadership President Bush…..

Baxter Greene on August 24, 2011 at 10:43 PM

The night of Sept. 10 I had been up to 3:00 am. When the wakeup call came telling me the Pentagon was under attack, I told them “Ha ha, piss off” and hung up.

They called back, I got up, work began, coffee was just in my hand when the first tower collapsed.

I never lose that sense up waking up to a new, ugly reality.

Later, when Bush gave his bullhorn speech, a very special, very dear friend asked me, “Do you think he (Bush) is disrespectful for standing on the rubble like that? He’s standing on bodies . . ”

I told him, No, it was not disrespectful, it was a classic battlefield thing for a Commander to do – rally the troops in the field of battle.

“But we’re not at war” he said. I blinked about a billion times, I’m sure.

“Oh, we are at war. We are now, absolutely at war.”

I think some Americans have yet to truly wake up. Wake UP.

ace tomato on August 24, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Too bad McCain’s staff threw Bush under the bus.

SouthernGent on August 24, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I remember seeing a plane fly over my farm after being told that no aircraft were to be in the air.
I was scared and so I called the FBI to report it.
What a totally frightening and angering day that was.

ArmyAunt on August 24, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Put yourself in his place, and imagine you’re the president, sitting in that classroom, and Andy Card just whispered that in your ear. What would be running through your head? Do presidents get that sting of panic? “What do you mean we’re under attack? ” What am I supposed to do here?

ceruleanblue on August 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM

God bless George Bush. I remember like it was yesterday and still shed tears at the sight of the planes hitting, the people jumping. We had 2 tv’s running in the conference room at my workplace in Calgary Alberta.

kellyjane on August 24, 2011 at 11:13 PM

9/11 was even worse than Pearl Harbor. That was strictly a strike on a military island base. But to get sucker-punched not once but several times, in our biggest city? That means nobody’s safe.

The realization that we could be hit on our own turf, that our civilians could be killed, despite our whiz-bang military toys and world-ending weaponry…that was the worst feeling of all. I was in middle school at the time, and someone whispered “dude – this is like Santa Claus getting shot down.”

The guy had a point ; it was the end of a myth for my generation. The myth of American invinciblity.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I was the first one in my office to hear something was going on. I have XM radio on my desk and was listening to Fox News when they said a small plane had hit the tower. From then on the entire day was running to the store to get a TV, everytime something happened we announced it on the intercom to the shop and office so everybody was updated.

We all watched as the towers came down. I’ll never forget the look on President Bush’s face when Andy Card came in and told him about the second plane.

I called my sister in Arizona, she was still sleeping.

I hope I can watch on Sunday night, will try DVR’ng it but the hurricane rolling through New England on Sunday may knock us out of power. When Bob rolled through in 1991 we were without power for 5 days.

I loved that Man, didn’t always agree with everything he did, but he was an honorable man.

jaimo on August 24, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Seeing that jet hit the tower just rose the anger in me again.
10 years? Seems like yesterday.

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

My thoughts exactly. But to this day I find comfort in the words of W, although I disagreed with his fiscal agenda, I too miss him.

“Grabbing a bullhorn, Bush told the chanting, cheering crowd, “I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings will hear all of us soon.”

Paleoconservatarian on August 24, 2011 at 11:53 PM

He had some dumbass things on his resume, sure… but in the end he was a leader through tough times and he was way better without a TOTUS, unlike the One. Inspite of all the left-wing BS leveled at him during the last couple years, the way he has conducted himself after the office, is probably his best. Didn’t like him at first but he grew on me over time, he was steady, predictable, and I trusted him to keep me safe after 9-11, he understood what it would take, and I listened to his departing speech like 3 or 4 times, it was really good stuff. Laura was absolutely one of the finest first ladys ever.

maineconservative on August 24, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Video: Bush remembers 9/11

Thank you for being a leader in troubling times President Bush, for that you will be fondly remembered.

Unfortunately, the same thing can not be said of your successor.

rukiddingme on August 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM

He looked so young in that classroom…

XWing5 on August 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM

We miss you Mr. President!

Jesse on August 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM

PappyD61 on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

The best defense is a good offense. Seen any hijacked planes hitting things they shouldn’t recently? Seen any jihadi bombs going off recently?

The fact that you haven’t is the result of President Bush’s actions.

unclesmrgol on August 25, 2011 at 12:18 AM

To say I’m nervous would be an understatement.

Knucklehead on August 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Praying for a safe and peaceful journey for you.

bluefox on August 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM

That’s why I will never vote for Ron Paul. Isolationism doesn’t work and never has. Find out why the White House is painted white to understand this point.

unclesmrgol on August 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM

In times of National Tragedy, we look to our President. Thank God President GW Bush was there. One thing I always knew, is that he was sincere. His love for the Military was real and you knew that by the way the Military responded to him.

Thank you President Bush. And Laura Bush made us proud. Always loved the tour of the White House during Christmas.

bluefox on August 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Great on 9/11, and taxes.

No more Bushes or faux Conservatives.
PappyD61 on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

It’s an unfair shake

the GOP was in shambles because of itself

the scums didn’t intervene or try to defend George from scurrilous and venomous attacks

Like the pussy libs, they authorized this man to use military force as he saw fit to defend us and the pieces of sh!t ran for the hills when the going got tough

and ever the gentleman, George never once called them on it and took it

eff them

in case you noticed, we are trying to cull that garbage from the playing field

God bless George W Bush!

Sonosam on August 25, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Great on 9/11, and taxes.

No more Bushes or faux Conservatives.
PappyD61 on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

It’s an unfair shake

the GOP was in shambles because of itself

the sc¥ms didn’t intervene or try to defend George from scurrilous and venomous attacks while our troups were in harms way

Like the pu$$y libs, they authorized this man to use military force as he saw fit to defend us and the pieces of sh@t ran for the hills when the going got tough

and ever the gentleman, George never once called them on it and took it

eff them

in case you noticed, we are trying to cull that garbage from the playing field

God bless George W Bush!

Sonosam on August 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM

We are so very lucky he was our CIC at the terrible time.

He handled it perfectly. Boy, I miss that Texan.

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Seeing that jet hit the tower just rose the anger in me again.
10 years? Seems like yesterday.

Megadittos

Texyank on August 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM

I live in the Mountain time zone, so it was already going on by the time we started our day. But I didn’t know it for awhile. On that morning, I woke up and went to check my email and the news headlines online. I thought something was wrong with my dial-up connection because I couldn’t get any web pages to load. So, I went about my day, picking up some documents at City Hall (in retrospect, the office workers were all really subdued and listening to the radio, but I didn’t think anything of it at the time), and then to my classes at law school. Some of my classmates and staff told me while I was standing at the registrar’s desk. We all spent most of the rest of the day in the student lounge watching the news in silence. Almost all classes were cancelled, but we just all hung around together, watching the TV. (Ever since then, I am paranoid whenever web traffic gets slow. If I can’t connect to a news site to make sure everything is okay, I go turn on the TV or a radio, just to make sure it isn’t happening again.)

My son’s first birthday was three days after the attacks. At home, my wife and I had had the TV on almost constantly–hoping for news of survivors from the rubble–but she insisted we turn it off while we tried to celebrate the day. She was right, of course. But it was still difficult to put on a happy face for our son’s sake. It makes me mad that now I can’t think back to my son’s first birthday, let alone watch the video, without almost crying.

I am very, very grateful for President Bush’s leadership through that terrible time.

acasilaco on August 25, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Seeing that jet hit the tower just rose the anger in me again.
10 years? Seems like yesterday.

Electrongod on August 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Tears and anger…an anger I have never felt before or since.

Amendment X on August 25, 2011 at 6:49 AM

I miss Bush. He is a good man.

As for the tension between Perry and Bush, I am not buying a lot of that. Bush campaigned for Perry. Perry was his Ltnt. Governor..I just think they are trying to create distance between the two men for political purposes.

As for people blaming Bush more than Obama. I am not sure I buy that either. I think most people know that the recession started before Obama took office. That is why they answer the question that way in polls, however, when Obama’s numbers on handling the economy is down in the 20s he is not avoiding blame. Obviously. The truth is if the being doing the polls throw Congress into the mix, they get more of the blame than either president does.

I saw a poll a few days ago, I think it was Gallup..that put Obama at 39 and Bush at 47. I thought that was interesting.

Terrye on August 25, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Great on 9/11, and taxes.

No more Bushes or faux Conservatives.
PappyD61 on August 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

What a load of crap. Bush ran as the education president. He did not pretend to be some guy wanting to bring democracy to the middle east or anything else. He ran on his record as Governor of Texas.

The idea that he castrated the GOP is ridiculous. I would say the corrupt Republicans members of Congress had more to do with that than Bush did. After all, he did not make Foley turn into a pervert.

He was not a faux conservative either. He was very clear about his record and his policies. He was and is strong on social conservative issues. He tried to reform social security and got very little support from all those true conservatives out there who were more than happy to stab him in the back.

And as for immigration, his policies were the same as President as they were when he was Governor..he did not pretend to be anything he was not and all in all, his immigration policies were more conservative than Ronald Reagan’s and Rick Perry’s.

As for Obama and 2008…Bush tried to reform fannie mae and freddie mac..Republicans like McCain backed that bill and the Democrats filibustered it..in fact Maxine Walters said if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

The truth is a lot of people on the right like to flap their gums about what perfect conservatives they are, but they are more than willing to eat their own. Happens every time. The Democrats can always count on them.

Terrye on August 25, 2011 at 7:08 AM

A better more sincere man never sat in the office as President, save Ronald Reagan.
President Bush made his mistakes, but he had to live with some of the worst disasters ever perpetrated on our soil.
And even better, is how he has handled the Presidency after leaving office, class and dignity…a standard that has not ever been met before.

right2bright on August 25, 2011 at 7:14 AM

That stunned look on his face obviously reflects his fears that Michael Moore might someday uncover and make public the explosives Bush had the super secret CIA demo teams rig up in the towers and bldg 8 or 10.

Alden Pyle on August 25, 2011 at 7:15 AM

rev al bashing W for staying with the kids alittle bit longer on that day….argghhhhh

BUT its ok that dear leader is playing nine holes…

cmsinaz on August 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Bishop on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Rational Thought on August 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Many westerners have become too ‘sensitive’.
They’ll watch bloody fictional movies showing pain & suffering galore without a sniff or a tear for the victims, but get all worked up & hysterical about something like 9/11.
I remember that day, but I didn’t cry, get hysterical, call my friends & wail on the phone etc.
Bcs I didn’t know anyone there.
I still cannot wrap my mind around folks who act that way. Like when the Kennedys & MLK were killed. I don’t lose control over stuff like that. Doesn’t mean I may not be saddened by it.
Westerners are too emotionally soft.
And it will be our undoing bcs of the irrational human beings it breeds.

Badger40 on August 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM

We are the lucky ones. The Americans who voted for George W. Bush. Our nation will survive because we will elect a Republican in 2012 to assure our survival in spite of those in power now who would “FUNDAMENTALLY change” the great nation we were and will be again. Thank you President Bush for being there in our nation’s darkest hour.

afotia on August 25, 2011 at 7:43 AM

The right man for a most terrible time. If America was to fall under attack, we were very blessed to have THAT particular brand-new President reading “My Pet Goat”.

And I will always love him for the unquenchable, unswerving love and faith he has in this country, and the undeniable grace he and Laura have always shown in her name.

tree hugging sister on August 25, 2011 at 8:20 AM

tree hugging sister on August 25, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Amen to that, Sis.

Mr. Bingley on August 25, 2011 at 8:41 AM

If Bush were President right now, and being asked the questions that SHOULD be getting asked of the current Resident, you’d be getting different answers than we have been getting lately. He never failed to stop the buck with himself. He pointed out when something or someone got in the way of what he wanted to try and accomplish, but no matter what, when the dust settled he accepted both accountability and responsibility.

He didn’t throw blame around like a deflated football.

He didn’t divide people by calling them names like “bitter clingers”.

He never once spoke about race as an issue, because he saw people, not skin color.

He made mistakes, and took the blame when he did.

He has not once criticized, mocked, undercut, or otherwise attempted to impact the current Resident.

I was pleased and proud to serve for this Commander in Chief, and thank God it is his signature on my retirement papers.

Yep, I miss him. I’m hoping for someone with a measure of his class, his sincerity, and his desire to serve, rather than be served.

Freelancer on August 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Freelancer on August 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM

The differences are stark, like the differences between a man and a boy.

Cindy Munford on August 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Bush names Pakistan our major ally.

keep the change on August 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM

You seem a bit desperate to get in something unflattering about the former president. It makes you appear a bit deranged.

zoyclem on August 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I hate with the same passion I did the second the 2nd plane hit the building.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Lots of Johnny Come Latelys on missing W. But that’s OK, all welcome to join. Missed him from Day One. It took Obama to make people see real compassion, real leadership, and real chutzpah when the country really needed it. Miss ya W!

AReadyRepub on August 26, 2011 at 2:08 AM