5.9 magnitude earthquake hits Mineral, Va.

posted at 2:45 pm on August 23, 2011 by Tina Korbe

The United States Geological Survey reports a 5.9 magnitude earthquake hit Mineral, Va., about a half hour ago, but the U.S. weather service has issued no tsunami threat. Earthquakes hit the East Coast on occasion, but a quake of this magnitude is unusual. The earthquake was felt up and down the coast, including in Washington D.C. and New York City.

Numerous bystanders and longtime residents evacuated from buildings in New York said they hadn’t felt shaking like this since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The same thought echoed in the corridors of the Pentagon, too.

With the August recess, D.C. has been relatively empty and quiet, but staffers in the U.S. Capitol and other buildings felt the quake and immediately exited their offices. All federal buildings in D.C. have been or are in the process of being evacuated. D.C. police officers, concerned about potential aftershocks, have warned residents and tourists to avoid the Metro. Some have even expressed concern the Washington monument might be tilting.

The president and reporters at Martha’s Vineyard felt the shaking, too, Ed Henry reported on Fox News. Bret Baier reports he’ll do his show outside this evening, as the police will not allow anyone to reenter the evacuated buildings.

Earthquakes of this size can result in falling chimneys and structural damage to buildings, according to one seismologist. Falling objects and building collapse could also pose the threat of injury — but, so far, no reports of such activity have come down the pike.

The #earthquake Twitterstream immediately lit up with personal anecdotes (“Evacuating building,” “My mom and dad texted within minutes of each other to make sure I’m OK,” etc.) and political quips (“Earthquakes like this never happened when George Bush was president,” “Breaking: Rick Perry blames Obama for the earthquake; Huntsman blames the rest of the GOP field,” etc.). The stream is moving too fast to read. But as no one has been reported hurt, it’s a fun feed to follow.

Update: The National Cathedral has sustained some damage. “At least three pinnacles of the central tower have broken off,” a spokeswoman confirms. Inspections for structural damage underway.

Update: Wall Street traders never left the stock market floor — and the Dow is up. The earthquake clearly no cause for panic.

Update: Congrats to @comradescott, who wins the wittiest tweet contest.

Update (AP): The National Park Service says there’s “absolutely no damage” to the Washington Monument or any other memorial.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Used to live in So Cal which made watching this even funnier — the best one was no warning issued before the quake hit.

CNN anchor was asking why there was no a warning issued that they were going to have an earthquake. Then they brought on someone from Southern CA to talk about the quake — two different kinds of quakes between the east coast and west coast but don’t think it sunk into the anchor. She couldn’t believe how far away you can feel a quake and then she was joined by a guy who was just as bad.

One of the reporters on the street said there were no sirens and fire trucks running everywhere like she was disappointed.

PhiKapMom on August 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I love the tweet Tina linked to:

Evidently the quake occurred on a little known fault line outside of DC called “Bush’s Fault”.

INC on August 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee just sent out what I believe is the first political-hit use of the northeast earthquake. The “Earthshaking Development” is that they’re concerned they will lose that seat Anthony Weiner had to resign from.

NRO

Wethal on August 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Gaia is upset that we’re ruining Washington. So, she’s going to ruin for us instead.

hawkdriver on August 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM

There was a 5.3 in Colorado last night around midnight. Biggest since ’73, or something. Gird your loins?

Mr_Magoo on August 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Seems to be a lot of shifting going about on this part of the planet recently (Haiti, and now Colorado/East Coast). Heard some months ago that deep activity in the Florida Panhandle region has been increasing.

Wonder if the New Madrid-Memphis area is up for something significant soon?

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM

But this is nothing like the shaking Washington will get when Sarah Palin becomes president.

Eleventy!!

keep the change on August 23, 2011 at 4:45 PM

HARP

NY Conservative on August 23, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Wonder if the New Madrid-Memphis area is up for something significant soon?

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Shhhhhhh.

kingsjester on August 23, 2011 at 4:45 PM

HAARP…effing predictive text.

NY Conservative on August 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM

And HERE is the latest pic of the devastation in DC…

JetBoy on August 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Yawn. Here in California, when we have a 5.9, we just sweep up the broken bottles at the Safeway and then mop the floor. I’ve been watching Fox News and you’d think an atomic bomb just went off on the east coast.

You east coasters need to get a grip.

sdillard on August 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Yeah I agree. But it’s not just this quake, it’s everything that happens on the East Coast. They have a heat wave and “oh my gosh, worst heat wave ever”, no one’s ever been this hot! Then when an ice storm occurs, “oh my gosh, worst ice storm ever”, followed by 24/7 news coverage for weeks. It’s the same for hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc. Then when Oklahoma, Texas or any other State in “flyover country” have a storm or any other natural disaster just as, or more serious, it’s a blip on the nightly news. It’s really sickening to the rest of the Country, that such a bunch of narcissists, fed by the mainstream media wimps, live on the East Coast.

Susanboo on August 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Quake hits DC, stock market zooms.
Anyone surprised?

GaltBlvnAtty on August 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

“And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings, and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake. and so great”. (Revelation 16-17) AH_C on August 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Fulfilled when Jerusalem fell in AD 70.

Next.

Akzed on August 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM

C’mon man! John of Patmos wrote the passage after AD 70.

HomeoftheBrave on August 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Susanboo on August 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I resemble that remark…

JetBoy on August 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM

You east coasters need to get a grip.

sdillard on August 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I’m sure that was tongue in cheek, but since we’ve never really felt anything like that here (I’m in VA), it’s pretty weird.

Plus, where I’m at we’re currently on track to get hit dead center with Hurrican Irene. My upcoming weekend isn’t looking too promising.

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM

More Obama “bad luck”.

Labamigo on August 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM

As one who used to live in southern CA, a 5.9 earth quake is a yawner. I find it interesting to see the over reaction that DC is taking for this. Maybe just a reason for non-essential federal employees to get an afternoon off… Maybe they should all be terminated if they are non-essential.

Dasher on August 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Susanboo on August 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I resemble that remark…

JetBoy on August 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Sorry JetBoy, no offense, I know it’s the media and the politicians, not the general population. :-)

Susanboo on August 23, 2011 at 5:06 PM

You east coasters need to get a grip.

sdillard on August 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Many of us east coasters have never experienced anything like this. Get back to me when a hurricane hits your area and everyone is the picture of calm.

DrMagnolias on August 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I love the tweet Tina linked to:

INC on August 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM

100+

Dasher on August 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM

hawkdriver on August 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Actually, I was thinking of the scene from The 10 Commandments when all the idolaters are judged in an earthquake.

INC on August 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM

You east coasters need to get a grip.

sdillard on August 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

DrMagnolias on August 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Or a Blizzard.

Chip on August 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Susanboo on August 23, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I can’t be offended by anyone from flyover country ;)

JetBoy on August 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM

You east coasters need to get a grip.

sdillard on August 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

DrMagnolias on August 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM

As Hurricane Irene approaches Geraldo Rivera can be seen leaning into the wind and rain. It is a amazing sight. I just wonder, if they just use stock footage now a days. After all he is too big of a star to actually brave storm.

Dasher on August 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Washington monument is leaning right when viewed from the white house…weird.

Youngs98 on August 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Don’t worry–FOX has a stunt double for Geraldo.

Emperor Norton on August 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Another view of the devastation from the earthquake;

Dasher on August 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM

We felt it in Dearborn, Michigan. Strange and disconcerting to feel the floor under you trembling — slightly, but pronounced.

cheeflo on August 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I was in Los Angeles at the time of the 6.2 quake in Sylmar CA, 1971. Try experiencing that on the 5th floor of a dorm room. I was in Fairfield CA during the Loma Prieta quake in 1989, and there have been lesser ones as well. You get used to them.

Hurricanes? Been there as a child when I lived on Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Tornado? Saw one while in Indiana when I was 19. Fortunately, I never got any closer to that one. I was also evacuated during the Witch Creek fire in Southern California in 2007. The worst that came of that, for me personally, was that looters broke into our house while we were evacuated and we lost some valuable stuff. We also had no safe running water for 3 days after we returned home.

Disasters happen everywhere and there is no way to avoid them, really. All you can do is prepare generally with food, water and medical supplies, just in case.

One thing that always amuses me is the round-the-clock coverage the media gives it, especially after the emergency is over. In the aftermath of those quakes, it got a little boring, to tell the truth.

hachiban on August 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM

We felt it here in Berkley,Michigan

Bullhead on August 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Politico’s Carrie Budoff Brown, the White House pool print journalist, reported that shortly after the quake:

“The pool was ushered onto the fairway of first hole, where the presidential party had already reached the putting green. The pool was kept several hundred feet away, well outside shouting distance.

The pool was, however, able to see the president putting moves, albeit from a distance.

From our vantage point, this is the play by play: He stepped up to his ball, which was several feet from the hole, and made two practice strokes. He missed the hole on his first putt, but got it close. He then tried to tap it in, but missed again. He appeared to pick up the ball to let the others in his party play through as he watched.”

Daily Telegraph

Wethal on August 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Ahhhhhh, it’s the Bush Fault.

nor on August 23, 2011 at 5:36 PM

hachiban on August 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Can you post your location here daily? I want to know where not to be! Have you been hit by lightning yet?

TugboatPhil on August 23, 2011 at 5:39 PM

We felt it here in Berkley,Michigan

Bullhead on August 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hey, that’s where I live! The cats must be wondering WTF?

cheeflo on August 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM

We felt it here in Berkley,Michigan

Bullhead on August 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Weird. I live in Macomb, MI and I didn’t feel a thing.

YoungAmerican on August 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Didn’t feel anything down here in VaBeach.

conservative pilgrim on August 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Felt in Poquoson, Va.

nwsseeker on August 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I felt it in Norfolk too. It was pretty exciting.

Christina_M on August 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

hachiban on August 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Lemme guess- your nickname is “Lucky”?

justltl on August 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM

And HERE is the latest pic of the devastation in DC…

JetBoy on August 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Here is a better pic of even great devastation, this really tells the story.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Felt it here in Taunton, MA. It was like two waves, noticeable and unsettling, but not particularly damaging.

BKennedy on August 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Wethal on August 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

As long as no Teleprompters fell over, little Bammie will be fine.

slickwillie2001 on August 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Odds on him blaming a bogey on the tremor, or will he, as usual, claim he inherited it?

James on August 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

DrMagnolias on August 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM
Chip on August 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM

7.2 earthquake: check (experienced while stationed in Japan in 1972)
Cat 4 Typhoon: check (experienced while stationed on Guam in 82-84)
Tornado: check (experienced while stationed in Illinois in 81)
Century Snow Storm: Check (experienced while station in Illinois in 81)
Blizzard/Record Cold: Check (experienced while living in NE Arizona 2011)
Volcanic Eruption: still waiting for this one but there our some dormant cones within 30 miles of me.

So I’ll say get a grip. It generally is the panic that will get you.

chemman on August 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

But it’s not just this quake, it’s everything that happens on the East Coast.

Susanboo on August 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

To be fair, it’s not just the East Coast. Seems that every time Southern California gets some rain, all the TV stations go into “Stormwatch” mode. And all the “Carmageddon” hype recently was just ridiculous.

(for anyone who doesn’t know… “Carmageddon” was when part of a major L.A. freeway was shut down over a weekend)

malclave on August 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

LOL! No, but I was in the Panama Canal Zone in 1962-63 during the riots. My father was a medical officer on Rodman Naval Station, and I watched the “fun” from our home on the base.

And no, my name isn’t Lucky, either. It’s Nancy. I happened to be where those things happened, but nothing ever happened to me because in general I did my best to stay out of trouble. I stood in the doorway during the quakes, I stayed inside, in well-built housing, during the hurricanes (I was less than 10 years old at the time) I went directly home when I saw the funnel cloud, and I got out of town when they told me to, when the fire was approaching. Try driving down a mountain in an SUV during high winds, caused by the firestorm, with the scared family dog trying to climb in your lap! My son held off the dog, but it was an interesting drive, just the same.

hachiban on August 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Here is a better pic of even great devastation, this really tells the story.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Can’t argue with that.

Another view of the devastation from the earthquake;

Dasher on August 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM

The horror…but we can rebuild!

JetBoy on August 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Another view of the devastation from the earthquake;

Dasher on August 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Cool, now The Won can blame the economy on that and leave Bush alone.

pedestrian on August 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Ooh, the devastation!

hachiban on August 23, 2011 at 6:40 PM

We felt it here in Berkley,Michigan

Bullhead on August 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Didn’t feel anything down here in VaBeach.
conservative pilgrim on August 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Felt in Poquoson, Va.
nwsseeker on August 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I felt it in Norfolk too. It was pretty exciting.
Christina_M on August 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

What I know about earthquakes would fill a VERY small space, but Mrs. Leprechaun said the house in central Williamsburg took quite a shake, while I was down in the Busch Gardens area and wasn’t even aware a ‘quake had taken place.

oldleprechaun on August 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM

James on August 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

He missd his putt, but at least didn’t ask for a do-over because of an act of God.

Wethal on August 23, 2011 at 7:06 PM

You east coasters need to get a grip.

sdillard on August 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

You have no idea…the actually closed the UMass Boston campus because of this…un freakin believable.

Ciannaky on August 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Just add the earthquake to the long list of reasons excuses why our economy is in the tank.

Koa on August 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Fulfilled when Jerusalem fell in AD 70.

Next.

Akzed on August 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM

C’mon man! John of Patmos wrote the passage after AD 70.

HomeoftheBrave on August 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I will let you in on a little secret… the great earthquake spoken of in Revelation will be an economic quake!!

royzer on August 23, 2011 at 7:28 PM

East Coast, the least Coast
West Coast, the BEST Coast.

Apologetic California on August 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Global warming blamed in 5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1

pdigaudio on August 23, 2011 at 8:14 PM

So I’ll say get a grip. It generally is the panic that will get you.

chemman on August 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Well, if Yellowstone goes it won’t matter much where on the planet you are… if you aren’t within a hundred miles or so of it you might want to move closer so you can be one of the fortunates to die quickly if that baby goes.

And if you are on the east coast the Cumbre Vieja will hold a trillion tons of landslide joy ready to set up a mile high tsunami heading your way. That mass slipped about a meter back around 1949, if memory serves. One good jolt and… well… you gotta get a bit inland to survive that baby. Twenty miles in and a good half mile up should help.

ajacksonian on August 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Shovel ready projects just in time for Obama’s September Parting of the Sea Speech, er I mean Jobs Speech.

OK,OK, broom ready projects.

in_awe on August 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Breaking News:

Paul Krugman announces that an earthquake is a good substitute for an alien invasion. He urges the President to immediately start a $3 Trillion stimulus program to rebuild everything East of the Mississippi. Yes, he said everything. Nothing should be exempted. He says anything less would be insufficient. The Fed should start printing $10,000 bills to distribute to everyone by Friday.

Back to your regularly scheduled insanity

in_awe on August 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I love the tweet Tina linked to:

INC on August 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM

LOL X 1,000,000

Mutnodjmet on August 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM

DrMagnolias on August 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I was in DC during Isabel. You east coasters need to get a grip.

jdkchem on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM

The USGS is made up of scientists. I expect conservatives the nation over to decry this bold, fascist move by the Obama administration, hyping the fear of earthquakes to serve their nazi agenda.

ernesto on August 24, 2011 at 12:39 AM

ernesto on August 24, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Laughs and points. . . at you!

lolololol

Dweeb.

/Gawd, what are you paid? Laughing at whoever pays you, too. hahahaha! May you lose your job.

Opinionator on August 24, 2011 at 2:27 AM

jdkchem on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I don’t know what your experience was in DC during Isabel, but regardless, if you think DC is representative of the east coast, you need to travel the coast a bit more. And, DC was not affected by Isabel the way those of us south of it were. Isabel went through my area (tore up trees, flooded and destroyed houses, etc.), and no one panicked–we know what to expect from hurricanes.

Most of us have never been in an earthquake–any time a person experiences something so far out of their ordinary, they are going to talk about it. Of course it was all over the news–most of the news outfits are in DC and New York. But, as someone posted upthread, we hear plenty about rain, fires, earthquakes, and freeway snarl ups on the west coast, and none of us say, “Oh yawn. Those people need to get a grip.” No one was panicking (perhaps some news people were, but they seem to get ramped up over everything), but it was interesting.

DrMagnolias on August 24, 2011 at 3:37 AM

The overreaction is ’cause we never get them and many, at least for a minute or few had no earthly idea what was going on. Results: comedic.

SarahW on August 24, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I was in DC during Isabel. You east coasters need to get a grip.

jdkchem on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I don’t think DC even received tropical storm winds. We had massive flooding and extensive wind damage. A sixty foot oak in my neighbors yard came down and almost took my house with it. It took all power and communication lines down. Several cars in my area and homes were either destroyed or damaged by falling trees.

Hurricanes are no joke. Plus we had to deal with the storm surge at high tide.

darwin on August 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Holy CRAP people! STOP being a bunch of wussies! Its a natural geological event! Get on with your lives and stop being a bunch of BABIES! These people on the East coast calling their MOMMIES crying is embarrassing to the rest of the country who have died in _REAL_ disasters!

( not directed at anyone in this thread in particular )

tx2654 on August 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

( not directed at anyone in this thread in particular )

tx2654 on August 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Here’s some news from my hometown. Apparently, its all just fake.

BobMbx on August 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Crap. Forgot the link.

BobMbx on August 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

tx2654 on August 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

1. Who’s doing that?

2. Many natural geological events wreak havoc (for most of us, this didn’t–but it did for some).

3. The east coast is generally not prepared for earthquakes (e.g., our buildings are not built for them) in the same way the west coast is not prepared for hurricanes.

4. Why do people act as if discussing this event is the same as panicking, whining, etc.? With the exception of the ramped up media, whose bread and butter rests on making mountains of molehills, I have only heard people discussing it as an interesting and somewhat frightening experience. Yes, it is frightening to be on the seventh floor of a building walled in glass and have it start shaking vigorously.

BobMbx, I hope everyone you know is okay and didn’t experience too much damage.

Ernesto really is a tool.

DrMagnolias on August 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM

DrMagnolias on August 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM

No worries. We had one picture relocate itself to the floor. Thats all for us.

BobMbx on August 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM

When does everybody get their free FEMA debit cards?

tetriskid on August 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Heh.
My vote for threadwinner. I’m still LMFAO about it.

Badger40 on August 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Wow. 5.9.

DarkCurrent on August 23, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Yawner.
But for those never involved in a baby E-quake like that, it is exciting stuff.
Like a kid getting to ride a pony at the circus.

Badger40 on August 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Badger40 on August 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Some pony.

DrMagnolias on August 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Any damage to the Washington Monument or the Statue of Liberty was caused when Barack and his horrid wife Michelle came to town.

Bill ‘em now!

Sherman1864 on August 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM

DarkCurrent’s incessant trading on his Asian connection is the real yawner here.

Sherman1864 on August 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM