Palin event on Labor Day weekend not a campaign launch?; Update: Rasmussen poll shows Palin losing to Obama by 17 points; Update: “Major announcement”?

posted at 1:25 pm on August 22, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

After Sarah Palin showed up in Iowa the day before the Ames straw poll and announced a Labor Day event in Indianola, speculation arose again that the former Vice Presidential nominee would throw her hat into the ring for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.  According to Real Clear Politics and their “sources close to Palin,” her supporters will have to wait longer to find out whether Palin will get into the race:

Speculation that Palin might use the Labor Day weekend event to declare her candidacy has ramped up on cable news and the conservative blogosphere, but RCP has learned from sources close Palin that an official announcement is unlikely at that time.

Still, Palin’s speech is expected to offer more clues about whether she will jump into the race sometime in September, as some of her public comments and behind-the-scenes actions over the past several months have suggested is possible. And a core group of self-appointed volunteer organizers hope that the Indianola shindig will be one of the best-attended events of the presidential campaign season to date.

Instead of a campaign launch, RCP reports that it may be more of a campaign test event:

Peter Singleton, a California attorney who leads the Iowa branch of the all-volunteer group Organize4Palin, told conservative radio host Tammy Bruce on Saturday that in addition to Palin’s speech, the three-hour midday rally would include a diverse undercard of speakers, music and video interludes, and even a group lesson on precinct organizing.

The event will pose a significant test for Singleton and the rest of the all-volunteer army of Palin devotees who have for months been quietly paving the way for a presidential run that would be fueled by a dedicated core of political novices.

At the moment, that seems to be the only evidence that Palin’s running at all — the proliferation of volunteer auxiliaries working to organize the event.  That will eventually pose a problem for an entry into the campaign, though, which is that the other campaigns will have staffed up in Iowa and elsewhere.  Assuming Palin does jump into the race, she will find the pickings slim for experienced staffers and organizers.  Of all the potential candidates who have yet to declare, Palin has the best odds of overcoming that handicap due to her near-universal name recognition, but in Iowa, organization and retail politics are the key to victory.

That raises another question about the event itself.  Are Iowans excited about it?  Not as much as outsiders, it seems at the moment:

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the crowd that will descend on the site — which recently played host to the National Balloon Classic — will include a sizable contingent of out-of-staters. The Texas branch of Organize4palin, for example, is organizing a bus trip to make the more than 11-hour drive from Dallas to Indianola.

Politicians don’t win the Iowa caucus with showy, one-off events.  They have to conduct the retail politicking that the declared candidates are currently conducting all across the state.  That means going to small events as well as large ones, traveling through all of the small towns and shaking hands, and asking voters now to caucus for them in 2012.  And that takes a network of organization for the follow-up visits and phone calls, turnout support, and so on.

Palin would need to win Iowa to have a path to the nomination (she’s not the only one, either; so would Bachmann).  She’s unlikely to do well in New Hampshire or Michigan against Romney, and a southern governor like Perry will have the advantage in South Carolina and Florida.  Yet even at this late date, Palin appears to have no real organization in the field in Iowa, and without a campaign in place, no major fundraisers either.  If the Labor Day event doesn’t feature Palin announcing a presidential run and a serious approach to campaigning in Iowa, she will start running out of time to compete properly in the state she will have to win in the caucus next winter.

Update: Maybe this Rasmussen poll shows why Palin is remaining ambiguous (via Allahpundit and the headlines):

If Election Day was right now, President Obama would defeat the former Alaska governor 50% to 33%, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. This marks the first time that the president has risen out of the 40s in hypothetical matchups with any of the major GOP presidential hopefuls. Fifteen percent (15%) prefer some other candidate, and two percent (2%) are undecided.  …

Last month, Obama posted a 47% to 38% lead over Palin, the GOP’s unsuccessful vice presidential candidate in 2008.

Palin earns support from 62% of Republicans, while 88% of Democrats back the president. Voters not affiliated with either party prefer Obama by a 51% to 30% margin.

The internals of the poll make a Palin challenge to Obama look daunting indeed.  She loses young voters by a whopping 12/64 and thirtysomethings 30/50.  All ethnic demos go to Obama, including a 43/38 edge among white voters.  In a two-way race with Palin, 20% of self-identified conservatives go to Obama, and another 19% are undecided.  Palin loses every income demographic as well.

Update II: According to Fox News, the rally will feature “a major announcement”:

Charlie Gruschow, co-founder of event host Tea Party of America, told FoxNews.com he doesn’t know what Palin will do at the rally, but that “all we’re being told is that she’s going to make a major announcement.”

Tea Party of America has already started running radio ads in Iowa promoting the event. And the group’s website has a poll asking readers not if but “when” Palin will announce her candidacy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11 12

unseen……the hidden Palin Imam!

cartooner on August 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM

wow you mind goes into the outfield a lot doesn’t it?

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 11:25 PM

…the only thing Ace ever said that made sense was when he admited that Palin supporters had the same level of enthusaism as Paul supporters…

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM

There’s yer cult angle!

cartooner on August 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM

wow you mind goes into the outfield a lot doesn’t it?

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 11:25 PM

As a professional cartoonist, yes, but the Twilight Zone, no.

cartooner on August 22, 2011 at 11:35 PM

CW on August 22, 2011 at 8:37 PM

So in keeping with the very low bar you have set for commentary I must inform you that you too are a nutter, a loon, an azz kisser, and a person who can not think rationally; since that is the sophomoric banter you have leveled at me.

If all you got is name calling then that is what you get back in return.

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM

from sarahpac

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Zap! LOL

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:08 AM

There’s yer cult angle!

cartooner on August 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM

nice way to cut off the rest of my post.

bravo.

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Either way, let her run and if she is so bad she’ll be pushed out in favor or the strong “leader”. But your whole post is disingenuous as it implies Palin and her supporters don’t care about the state of the nation, when evidence speaks strongly the contrary that she and they do very much.

if I sound offended, I am.

Sharr on August 22, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Where did I say don’t allow her to run?
See, this is where the obsessed go off the reservation. And then you carry your obsessions to where I think her supporters aren’t American or something.
I am simply saying, she is staying on the sidelines while others do battle, like the bench warmer who comes in and takes the last shot and hopes for the glory.
These guys and gals are taking the hits, good for Palin for staying out of the fray and saving money…but that is not what I am looking for.
I am looking for a bold leader who charges forward…Sarah has lost that.
With there sweat equity, the others are building interest, laying out ideas, keeping the brand alive, they are doing the dirty work, and that is who I want as president, someone that is not afraid to hop in and mix it up.
Great that you want her to stay out and pick her moment, to be an expert strategist, to out maneuver her opponents. Like I said time and time again, that is what you blind supporters want, in fact you want it any way she wants it.
Well, I am different, first the campaign is also an interview process, they are applying for a job and I (generic I) am the employer.
Second I want a bold leader, someone not afraid to step in, not a passive leader that waits for the perfect opportunity to seize the moment, I want someone to grab it with both hands and choke the living daylights out of the opportunity, I want someone hungry, so hungry they can’t sit and wait…I want a leader.
You guys want whatever Sarah decides to do…great, but she isn’t presidential material, political material, but not presidential, well maybe presidential in the sense that is how most of them have been.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Reading an Ace post on Palin is like being in the movie groundhog day. Say what you want about allah and Ed at leas tthey change the snark and talking points on occasion.

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Right, Unseen. Took me hours to find the perfect post to blast your Queen. //

All I was doing was linking a post which referenced polls indicating who was who in the GOP nuthouse at this point in time.

Freaks like you don’t want to hear poll numbers. And you certainly don’t want to hear from conservatives who are terrified of a Palin run.

Why? Because many of my conservative and liberal friends who are very active in politics say the same thing. A) She could be a kingmaker if she hit the road and raised money for the cause. Nobody can draw a conservative crowd like she does. B) She will be a lightening rod. She’ll energize the media and the Dem base to turn out to vote against her, women are against her in wide margins and she will not carry the middle (independents). Ever. That’s a loser ticket. Not to be sexist, but Bachmann will be a loser too.

Personally, I’ll campaign for, knock on doors for, man the phone banks for and donate to whoever the GOP ultimately nominates. Be it Palin, Romney, Perry or Bachmann. See, I’m a pragmatist. I know I stand a chance to get most, if not all, of what I want from a Republican, even a RINO.

I know I stand zero chance of getting what I want from Obama or any Dem – be it tax policy, social policy, or most importantly SCOTUS nominations.

I like Palin. But she is too divisive to win. If she gets the nomination, let’s give it our all. If she doesn’t, I hope that you’re not the type to take your damn ball home and pout instead of being a team player.

BacaDog on August 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

BacaDog on August 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Yes, Palin will motivate the opposition more than those that could support our side. Sad but true. But you’ll never convince the Palinoids. They will never see it. She has magical powers to convince them to see the light.

cartooner on August 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Hell he is still wondering why Fred lost.

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM

LOL Strange site, I am not a fan.

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM

The closer Palin comes to announcing that she is running,
the nuttier the naysayers become. And nowhere is it more
apparent than in these postings.

Amjean on August 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Seems to be the case.

Two days ago I debated a professional liberal activist for 1 solid hour. Here is a person, a leftist, who travels around the country full time, has debated Dinesh D’souza and notables over a very emotionally evocative issue, espousing an agenda.

And I must say that our spontaneous debate was cordial, respectful and at no point did it degrade into basal name calling. And yet we have conservatives like CW who is apparently so lacking in skill as to summon forth a valid rebuttal that he is reduced to throwing out names like ‘nutter’, ‘azz kisser’, ‘loon’ etc; all unprovoked.

So I suppose I will just have to give him a taste of his own medicine.

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 12:21 AM

BacaDog on August 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Well stated, I think if she started earlier and laid the ground work, it may have been better, or she would have seen the signs and bailed out by now.
But if she gets in late, than she will cause more harm than help.
A “kingmaker” she can be, a huge influence, but she will not carry the independent vote, and you are right about the women, they don’t like her, that’ a well known fact.
She should concentrate on helping the candidates defeat Obama, and be awarded the energy cabinet position.
There was not a poster more vocally supporting Palin than me on HotAir, but like you, I am a pragmatist, and the fact is, she can’t win…

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Because it’s not a “game”, we are looking to find a leader quick, get behind him/her, and build up a mighty war chest to overcome an entrenched political enemy, who is well financed and who has been building his machine for the past two years.
Months mean a lot right now, and we need to find our nominee, and kick some @ss.
It’s not “hate” it’s being practical, and decisive and taking control of the situation, and wresting control from Obama.
You vision of “hate” tells more about your obsession, than the only real goal…defeat the democrats and take over the senate, house, and the White House, that is the only goal. Personal obsessions, need to be put aside, and re-focus on the only goal.

right2bright on August 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Dude, I’m going to vote for whoever gets the GOP nomination. How is that a demonstration of my “obsession?” On the other hand, people like yourself are fixated on Palin not running — who is obsessed?

I never called it a game. It’s our electoral process. This is how it works, it’s how it was conceived by the Founding Fathers. Anyone who wants to run gets to do so. If we start eliminating people right out of the chute based on the simple fact that they lack the appropriate sheepskin, or they talk funny, or they have the wrong poll numbers, we might as well just throw in the towel right now and crown ourselves a king.

NoLeftTurn on August 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM

That being the case, I now zoom right by every naysayer post. Sure makes it a LOT easier to get through these marathon Palin threads, that’s for sure.

greeneyedconservative on August 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Yes, we have those same people on the Palin threads. They wouldn’t vote for her if she had wings and a halo on her head, LOL

Perry is getting the same treatment. I’ve almost come to the conclusion they support Romney or don’t vote at all. Just like to b***h. Or they are B.O. voters.

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM

No, they rationally can’t stand her supporters.

cartooner on August 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Yeah, but they and you are here…. I don’t like Ace’s site, and that’s why I’m not there. Why are you here???

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:36 AM

BacaDog on August 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

and that manifesto of yours has what to do with an Ace post?

you can make your decision based on polls all you want. the rasmuseen poll is a push poll. I posted how the question was posed by rasmuseen compared to the same type of question he used in the Mitt poll. Polls can be skewed based on any number of factors and are intended to push narratives not record the facts on the ground.

And if Palin can draw crowds like no other then she can draw votes like no other. If she can raise money for someone else she can raise money for herself. Bachmann is a lightwieght compared to Palin. Just like Mccotter is a ligthweight compared to Mitt or Perry.

ligthning rods work both ways. If Obama was a lightening rod for the gop he was also able to turn his base out to vote.

and your terrified of a Palin run? what a freaking joke of a conservative you are then. fine you don’t want to fight for a conservative that has a chance unlike any other in the last 20 years to change the status quo in DC. so be it. You might as will go down and sign up for the benifts then because no matter who wins if a conservative is too divisive to win we are doomed any how so you might as well gets yours before its gone.

If you think a RINO or some establsihemnt faux conservative is going to give you what you want you must have slept through the bush years.

I’m sick and tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. Palin offers a change of course unlike any since Reagan. I’m going to support that and damn the freaking polls. You stick with the lesser of two evils if you want. I’ve been to that dance and didn’t like the results.

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I don’t like Ace’s site, and that’s why I’m not there. Why are you here???

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Hear hear! Let’s hear it, Cartooner. You can’t stand Sarah Palin’s supporters, and yet you insist on hanging out at and commenting on a site full of them. You are free to do so, but I’m sure several of my fellow Palin supporters/HA commenters are interested in knowing why…

gryphon202 on August 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM

NoLeftTurn on August 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Dude…this is a thread on Palin, read the headline at the top, so this is what we discuss.
I don’t think she should run, so this is the thread, dude, to post it. Why would I post it on a Biden thread?
Dude, you don’t make sense…and dude, I never said you specifically called it a game, dude, I was saying Palin is treating it like a game and I stated that others also think it is a “game”.
And dude, that last sentence was from somewhere else. I never advocate not to allow her to run, and I never mentioned anything about her academics, or how she talks, nor has anyone else in the past 11 pages.
Dude, chill out…

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 12:36 AM

You stealing my thoughts somehow? Of course, I would be happy with President lightweight Bachmann, but prefer to see President Palin.

astonerii on August 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Re: Karl Rove. He is a pest. If he is as good as he thinks he is, why doesn’t someone hire him?

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:41 AM

No, they rationally can’t stand her supporters.

cartooner on August 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM

That’s a shame. i would have thought Ace & friends liked rational debate, but lately I have gotten that vibe of “I’m right!!! And I will prove it to everyone!!!!” they give off occasionally. Many pundits on the right have invested a lot in the Palin isn’t running/Palin can’t win pessimism. But the plain fact is we’ve measured all our other candidates and found them wanting. Palin is now much, much better at public speaking and interviews than she was three years ago. She spent all summer hiding out studying and reading. She is going to blow people away. Can’t wait.

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:44 AM

If you don’t like Palin, then don’t vote for Palin. People who like Palin, they’re going to vote for Palin. What is the big deal about Palin? This is unbelievable. They sure are scared of Palin. LOL

SheetAnchor on August 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM

My opinion:

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

why doesn’t someone hire him?

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:41 AM

…er, baggage. Projection is a common affliction of Beltay insiders.

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I wonder who they compared Reagan too…oh yeah, they didn’t he was an original.
And Palin is an original, she is no Ronald Reagan.
And if you think the other conservative/Republican’s are evil, and only Sarah is “pure”, than yeah, I say you pretty much have passed into cultland…
Every other candidate is evil, some more than others, but Sarah, fair Sarah, is pure and will deliver us from thine evil…amen…
Get a grip, she is a great person, lots of energy, but she is a politician, just like the others…except she can’t make a decision, like one other.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

I wonder who they compared Reagan to

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Goldwater. Next?

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:41 AM

He is already employed by the bush family.

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM

except she can’t make a decision, like one other.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Just because you don’t know what she is doing, doesn’t mean she doesn’t know what she is doing.

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Ahhhh, the ol she is so smart, she can’t let anyone know how smart, so she acts dumb.
Sorry pal, leaders, bold leaders, don’t act coy…Of course she knows what she is doing, she is playing her political game.
You want a game player, I want a leader…we want different things from our candidate.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Goldwater. Next?

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Hardly, the liberals tried to tie them together as “war mongers”, you are so silly.
Reagan was the great communicator, that was Goldwater’s trademark also? Good grief…

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:54 AM

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

So Perry and Mitt how many corrupt Republicans to they put in jail? How many big corps did they take to court for stealing the taxpayers money? How much surplus did they leave their states? How much spending in real terms did they cut? did Perry and Mitt fire their chefs? Sell their state airplane? How many times did Perry and Mitt go up agains tnot only the dems but their own party when they saw corruption? did Perry or Mitt place their state spending online so the citizens could see when the spending was going? did they generate $15 billion in surplus and cut almost 10% of state spending? did they retiurn $1200 per person to their citizens? Did they outlaw lobbyists form their office? Are Mitt and Perry against mandates? Palin came out agaisnt the chicken pox and helmet laws saying it was not the place of govenrmetn to tell adults what to do. whereas Perry and Mitt both pushed governmental mandates on their citizens.

yeap Palin is just like the others../

you are going into the realm of stupidity. Palin is the only Reaganite on the stage. Mitt, Perry even Bachman all believe and have increased the size of government and believe governemtn is the answer not the problem.

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Glad to see someone in WI confirm this. I read something on him a while back that really opened my eyes. Apparently, he’s co-sponsored 5 amnesty type bills and is a real open borders guy. Yeah, he’s a wonk, but he’s exactly like Christy. The fiscal narrative masks what lies underneath.

TxAnn56 on August 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM

You have to remember that RINOs believe in amnesty not because of “compassion” but $$$$. If we give amnesty to the est. 12 – 20 million illegals, the way they figure it, it’s a shot in the arm in growing the workforce in one stroke who will then contribute taxes and to SS and healthcare. This gives them another 20-30 years to kick the can down the road on reform.

Great. They’re willing to fundamentally give up our exceptionalism in exchange for increasing the voter rolls and tax base. If you listen carefully, they’ve admitted as much here and there. Why wasn’t Ryan more aggressive in bending HC down? He figures sooner or later with the RINOs in the majority, they can shove amnesty down our throats–which they almost did 3 years ago.

AH_C on August 23, 2011 at 12:57 AM

According to Fox News, the rally will feature “a major announcement”

She’ll be endorsing someone.

Ronnie on August 23, 2011 at 12:58 AM

BacaDog on August 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

We have no choice but to support the R winner of the Primary!! No staying at home.

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I think whoever wins the primary except maybe Mitt wins the general. Obama is fundementally wounded.

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 1:07 AM

You know unlike Perry Palin was never a democrat.

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 1:20 AM

except she can’t make a decision, like one other.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

How do you know she hasn’t made a decision?…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 1:53 AM

except she can’t make a decision, like one other.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

How do you know she hasn’t made a decision?…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 1:53 AM

This has been pointed out before but to no effect. He just keeps going with the “she can’t make a decision”.

Oh here is another instance of pointing out the distinction between making a decision and revealing the decision.

except she can’t make a decision, like one other.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Where did I say don’t allow her to run?
I am looking for a bold leader who charges forward…Sarah has lost that.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I’m sorry, you’re just being ridiculous. A true leader LEADS. A true leader doesn’t jump just because the people she/he is leading say so. A true leader messes with the minds of the enemy using

strategy

to secure the win. You’re too impatient AND think you’re head and shoulders smarter than Palin. If so, why are we all talking about her and… what’s your name again? She has a track record of outsmarting her opponents. How about we just let her do that? Jeez…

greeneyedconservative on August 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Geo,

He gets impatient waiting for a cup of water to boil in the microwave….

Palin has said from the beginning that IF she didn’t think the declared candidates were up to turning this Country around that she would declare her candidacy. That, on its face, means a late entry — if at all…Some have to be reminded and some have to have their hands patted for them while they wait…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Leading as in governing has nothing to do with deciding when to launch the campaign. By your notion, Eisenhower was a lousy leader for not launching D-Day a year earlier. Luckily, he decided to wait for that defining moment of low tide, suitable weather after sufficiently satisfied with the covert campaign to misdirect the enemy, marshall the resistance and other resources.

AH_C on August 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Here is another instance of pointing out the distinction between making a decision and revealing the decision. But the war analogy was dismissed because Palin doesn’t have stars on her shoulders, like that matters.

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM

How did Rasmussen get the result he did based on his question

Okay, what if the Republicans nominate Sarah Palin? If the 2012 Presidential Election were held today would you vote for Republican Sarah Palin or Democrat Barack Obama?

50% the obamanation, 33% Palin, 15% another, 2% undecided…

In a head to head matchup, why were other answers allowed?…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Geo,

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Well soon all this will be moot. Remember all the angst over whether Palin should attend CPAC. So many who were not in her camp were playing it up and making it into a crisis over their feigned concern. In hindsight CPAC was a mess.

Or how about all the concern about when and how she should respond to the AZ shootings. Those that were not in her camp were the most concerned about the timing of that too; placing severe constraints and throwing out new hoops for her to jump through or else she would be ruined and out of politics for good.

There are countless examples. Same stuff with every issue related to Palin.

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 2:18 AM

ONLY to those that refused to listen to her words regarding the event. Words that were reported here at HOT AIR. Does Ed not read HA?…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:19 AM

50% the obamanation, 33% Palin, 15% another, 2% undecided…

In a head to head matchup, why were other answers allowed?…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:16 AM

I think you already know the answer to that.

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM

The status quo R’s are in a tizzy. kj calls them Vichy Republicans…Seems to fit

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I think you already know the answer to that.

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I guess I should go look to see if Rasmussen allowed “another” answers in their other head to head polls…It appears Gallup didn’t separate out those numbers…Gallup has Ron Paul just a couple of points back of the obamanation in their head to head question. This bears out that most any R will — and does — poll well against the obamanation…

We kept hearing how TPaw was a good conservative, so much so that a running joke developed that “someone” was angling for the Press Secty job in a TPaw Administration…Last week, we heard McCainlike comments regarding the obamanation. Now, we hear establishment pablum about Labor Day being the cut off date for a declaration. The only things relevant about Labor Day are pool closings and white is out…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM

The only things relevant about Labor Day are pool closings and white is out…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Now that’s funny.

Wasn’t the Labor Day cutoff meme, and any delay thereafter catastrophic to any campaign spun by Rove. That is one of those hoops I was talking about. Concern trolling just doesn’t happen on the interwebz.

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Geochelone on August 23, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Remember the joke about “shaving my dog’s a** and making him walk backwards”…Now, picture a couple of bald guys who don’t want Palin to run and insert their name(s) into the joke…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 3:01 AM

You know unlike Perry Palin was never a democrat.

unseen

Unlike Palin, Reagan was once a democrat. So much for saint Palin the Reaganite.

unseen

Yup, much better to ignore reality, and hope the voices that talk to you in the dark know what they’re talking about, lol.

And lying over and over again by saying the Rasmussen poll is a push poll doesn’t make it so. It is not a push poll. It’s not even CLOSE to being a push poll, unless you think using Palin’s name in her own poll is somehow the equivalent of a negative push.

It’s truly sad to watch someone slowly lose their mind.

xblade on August 23, 2011 at 4:49 AM

BacaDog on August 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

This made me chuckle, in the light of yesterday’s Rasmussen poll that suggested that, if the election boils down to Obama vs. Palin, at least one fifth of all conservatives would do more than merely “take their damn ball home and pout”, and would actually pull the lever for Obama. Which in turn makes me wonder just how seriously we can take the anti-Palinistas when they spout the “getting Obama out of office is our #1 priority” line.

Aitch748 on August 23, 2011 at 5:29 AM

I just want to make sure I have this right, because I expect I’ll be asking people on this board if they’re among the one fifth of all conservatives who will vote for Obama if Palin is his opponent. Either this poll is BS, or else I don’t want to hear any more guff about being a team player and not taking my ball and staying home on Election Day.

Aitch748 on August 23, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Aitch748 on August 23, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Let me know if you ever get an answer…’08 had Noonan, baby Buckley, Brooks, Frum, Parker, Colin Powell both advocating for and actually VOTING FOR the obamanation over McCain. There’s no telling what those listed will do this time around, throw in the “leave the room” Republicans and ’12 could be a very enlightening year…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Goldwater. Next?

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Goldwater had to run against a martyr.

xblade on August 23, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Reagan, was never an Algoar supporting MODERN democ’rat.

Lanceman on August 23, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I wonder who they compared Reagan to

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Goldwater. Next?

alwaysfiredup on August 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM

They were both Palinized as crazy war mongers, eager to start WWIII. Goldwater ads said “in your heart you know he’s right”. The attack was “in your guts you know he’s nuts”. When Reagan made this joke (YouTube) during a microphone check for his weekly address, the attackers went ballistic. The attacks on Reagan were the same as against those against Palin: “he’s sooo stooopid”.

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 9:08 AM

The only things relevant about Labor Day are pool closings and white is out…
Gohawgs on August 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM

But…but….but if Palin doesn’t announce the pool closings and post Labor Day dress rules by then, she is doomed! Doomed, I tell you!!! OMG, panic! We need panic!! Oh, the humanities!

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM

While I have been a Palin supporter I have to agree with a lot of folks that the time for talk has ended and the time to get it has arrived. If she keeps piddling around on the periphery for any longer I will have to support a candidate that is already in the race. (Not Paul)!

jistincase on August 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Time magaziine article May 30th, 1980

“Ex-President Gerald Ford left no doubt about his views when he warned last month: “A very conservative Republican cannot win in a national election”

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,921912,00.html#ixzz1VrVCuvJL

“National opinion polls continue to show Carter leading Reagan by an apparently comfortable margin of about 25%. They also show that more moderate Republicans like Ford would run better against the President. This suggests that Reagan is not the strongest G.O.P. choice for the November election and that he clearly faces an uphill battle”

POLLS are just fabricated propaganda. Palin is “losing” by less than Reagan alledgedy was 6 months before the election

LeeSeneca on August 23, 2011 at 10:24 AM

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 9:08 AM

And on Ford, and on Bush, Quayle, the fact is, they use the same attacks on all Republicans, but that doesn’t mean it’s a comparison, it’s an attack…what I was responding to was the ridiculous notion that Reagan was actually compared to Goldwater, like Palin is to Reagan.
She is no Reagan…she is Palin, no more, no less, but certainly not a Reagan.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:24 AM

jistincase on August 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

That’s something I really don’t understand, jistincase. Why does anyone feel they have to decide on any candidate right at this very moment? I don’t get the whole panicked rush aspect.

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM

LeeSeneca on August 23, 2011 at 10:24 AM

If you think Obama’s machine is no better than Carter’s, you are very, very, naive…
Totally different circumstances…Obama has a solid, never wavering, 14% of the vote, no one has ever had that in the history of our elections.
Fortunately for us, he is so inept that 14% is being offset by his utterly record breaking poor performance and leadership. But it is still their. Carter never had that unwavering support. And believe me, do not underestimate the anger American’s had for not being able to retrieve our hostages. So far, nothing like that has happened.
Along with dismal economic problems (like Obama), and dismal foreign problems (like Obama), and a disconnection with the people (like Obama), he allowed our hostages to be held captive, and his attempt to rescue them was an utter disaster.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I don’t get the whole panicked rush aspect.

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM

It’s not “panic”, it’s called leadership, stepping out into the ring and mixing it up. It’s shows us who really wants it, who is willing to fight for it, rather than sit on the sidelines and wait for the dust to settle.
Most of us want someone of action, not a “player”, Sarah showed signs of a scrapper previous, but now she is being politically coy…wrong tact, at the wrong time…
We need maximum effort to turn this thing around, so I want someone who is willing to put maximum effort, not “play the system”.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM

The notion that “time is running out for Palin” is a liberal talking point….whether the Obama camp or the RINOS

The primary isn’t till next year. Reagan didn’t declare his run until November 1979.

The liberal strategist want a rushed decision not conservatives and not moderates.

Obama camp wants to know the field to know where to put the resources. The longer they wait the more chances they will have to spread the resources for attacks out and where the should launch them from.

In fact, you could summize that Reagan increased his chances by not entering the race too early, giving the opposition less time to mount attacks.

Stop repeating Liberal non-sense

LeeSeneca on August 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Stop repeating Liberal non-sense

LeeSeneca on August 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Yeah, good try trying to deflect common sense…so you “scoured the liberal websites” and found that talking point on those web sites? I doubt it, this is your projection of what you think a liberal thinks.
Did it ever occur to you that different people, of the same political agenda, can come to different conclusions? Or do think that if you don’t support Palin, than you have to be a RINO or a liberal.
Gee, what an intellectual giant…
The talking points of liberals are: She is inexperienced, she is a “quitter”, she is not intelligent, she talks funny, names her children funny, etc.
The fact is, like it or not, that conservatives can have differing points of views on candidates…some conservatives may have supported whole heartily previous, but find her actions annoying and weak.
It’s called “having an opinion”…

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM

LeeSeneca on August 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM

That’s all it is. It’s amazing how influential voices in the media can be. Many people have no idea how successfully it infiltrates their subconscious.

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Pal, that came from a conservative website, from a person who has supported her from the beginning but saw changes in her…take your blinders off, open your eyes.
Liberal talking point….HAHAHAHAHA! Good one, where did you read that, on Media Matters?
You guys crack me up…trust me, you can have a different opinion than yours and not be a liberal.
In fact, I think you are using a liberal tactic to discredit a conservative view…so now you are the liberal…that is your logic at work.
HAHAHAHA! I crack myself up, you guys are soooo silly!

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Wait a minute…aren’t you one of the guys who thinks Beck is just the greatest, or is that some other poster?

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Hey darwin, Yeah, I agree. There is a certain percentage of humanity that are VERY easily hypnotized, very little is needed to get them to believe such things, such as ” you are now a bird, please fly around the room”, a startling percentage will respond to the slightest suggestion.

bigmike on August 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM

bigmike on August 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM

….or “She is just like Reagan”…so who is more hypnotized.
The person who wholly supported her, woke up and found she had changed her demeanor and political direction—or the ones blindly following her and claiming she is the next Reagan, that she is the “only one that can fix our nation”.
Who is more “hypnotized” the critic, or the cultist?
The cultists can’t allow for dissension, a difference in opinion…there is only one truth.
Interesting you guys can’t see where others have a different opinion that could be valid…only yours is the “truth”, the “way”…

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

My daddy used to say,” that fella has a head on him like a door knob, it depends on who last turned it.” Some people will fall for anything.

bigmike on August 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Wow. Some are still comparing Palin to Reagan. How clueless.

Tell us about how Reagan was already hated by half of America in 1979 and how Reagan’s name was already a punch line. Also, tell us about how Reagan had quit his Governor gig to cash in.

It’s absolutely nothing like how some jump up and down clapping their hands when Palin makes a Facebook post, or has a soundbite posted here.

Moesart on August 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I like Beck, and I am influenced by what he says. However, what does that have to do with my point? Many people don’t realize the insidious nature of the media and how easily suggestions can be implanted into ones head. See: Sarah Palin and “I can see Alaska from my house”.

As to Beck, he’s always stated quite clearly that no one should ever take his word for anything. Do your own research … which I’ve done, and which is why I like Beck.

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Moesart on August 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Can you not think in broader terms? Hello? Global warming? The “evil rich”? Republicans don’t care about the little guy? Social Security isn’t going broke? Tea Partiers are terrorists and crazy?

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 11:17 AM

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Should be “I can see Russia from my house” … but you knew that.

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I think that for both haters and lovers of Palin you have to wait and see what she has dreamed up for the up coming election cycle. You guys are like the bar crowd on Monday night who get into fights “Talking” about the up coming game. If you believe that Palin is timid or indecisive then you have not been watching her. If you think she is stupid for not getting into this race early then you have to wait to see her stratergy. If you think she can’t raise the money then you will just have to wait and see what she knows and expects. I personally think that we are witnessing a new pol that the we have never seen before. She might fail but I think she will take this game to a new level and we will all be astonished by the outcome. Do not be afraid of her running. At worst she will make the timid bold, the weak strong and the evasive direct. That is all we can ask of her.n Imagine Romney, Perry or Bachmann actually answering hard questions with real answers! Sarah will do that for all of us! I dropped Ace last year and only went back this week only to read such an anti-Palin article like none I would ever expect from a conservative site. Fuck him!

inspectorudy on August 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I don’t get the whole panicked rush aspect.

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Couple of obvious problems with that. Pawlenty jumped in before others – didn’t help at all. Reagan announced with only less than a year to go before the general election. Nothing is cast in stone.

Intelligent politicians don’t serve as warm up acts. The lesser players are like the local bands who keep the crowd busy until the star takes the stage.

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Rasmussen poll shows Palin losing to Obama by 17 points

Though she’s far from my first choice, she’s so much better than Barry in my eyes that I would vote for her. Part of the problem is that so many of us liked her so much more than we liked McCain. But she’s not nearly experienced enough to be President. Barry has proved he wasn’t, but now he has 4 years in the gig, while (though for reasons I respect) she quit as Alaska’s Governor and her stint as a small town mayor is not really an edge anymore, if it ever was. Yeah, it still beats community organizer, but Barry’s resume has some beef now.

But her negatives are just too strong, meaning more people that would support someone from our side would sit it out than would be true of those in Barry’s tent. Plus those on the fence that end up voting would end up voting for him because she’s worse in their eyes.

Hopefully, she’ll announce she’s not a candidate and it will stop dividing conservatives.

EconomicNeocon on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Also, tell us about how Reagan had quit his Governor gig to cash in.

Moesart on August 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Nobody cares about Palin’s resignation except those oddballs who think that a politician who fails to cling to power, a politician who steps down voluntarily so that the work of her office can start getting done again, is someone who’s done a bad thing. The rest of us think her “quitting” was admirable.

Aitch748 on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

EconomicNeocon on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

It might help if you look at a bit more than just the number of years a person was able to sit in the office. Given what Palin has done in her two-and-a-half years as Governor vs. what Obama has done in her three-plus years as President, I’ll happily take Palin. I want to know what a person has DONE in political office, not just the number of years his @ss has been keeping the office chair warm.

Aitch748 on August 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Aitch748 on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

To me it’s a complete moot and bogus attack since many, if not most, politicians leave one office in order to pursue a higher office.

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM

EconomicNeocon on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Steebo posted her resume somewhere. I’ll try and find it. It’s actually impressive. Plus, local experience is not a negative, it’s a big plus. One has to understand how localities and states function, not just the federal government.

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

NoLeftTurn on August 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM

For a while there I thot you were describing Abe Lincoln or any of our titans that never got a sheepskin.

AH_C on August 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Like that. Very apt.

AH_C on August 23, 2011 at 12:19 PM

EconomicNeocon on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

If only it were that simple, EconomicNeocon. Even if she decides to sit this one out there will be no lack of nasty bare-knuckle brawls among conservatives over which candidate is best.

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Here you go:

* Sports Reporter/Anchor, KTVA-TV Anchorage/KTUU-TV Anchorage/Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman (1987 – 1992)
* Co-owner, Commercial Fishing Operation (1988 – present)
* City Council Member, City of Wasilla (1992 – 1996)
* Co-owner, Snow Machine, Watercraft, & All-Terrain Vehicle Business (1994 – 1997)
* Mayor/City Manager, City of Wasilla (1996 – 2002)
* Board Member, Alaska Municipal League (199x – 1999)
* President, Alaska Conference of Mayors (1999 – 2002)
* Chairperson, Alaska Oil & Gas Conservation Commission (2003 – 2004)
* Director, Excellence in Public Service, Inc. (2003 – 2005)
* Board Member, Valley Hospital Association (2005 – 2006)
* Governor, State of Alaska (2006 – 2009)
* Chairperson, Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission (2008 – 2009)
* Chairperson, National Governors Association Natural Resources Committee (2008 – 2009)
* Vice Presidential Nominee, Republican Party (2008)
* Founder, SarahPAC (2009 – present)
* Speaker, Washington Speakers Bureau (2009 – present)
* Author, Going Rogue: An American Life (2009)
* Contributor, Fox News Channel (2010 – present)
* Author, America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag (2010)
* Host/Executive Producer, Sarah Palin’s Alaska (2010)

* Board Member, Salvation Army * Member, Alaska Miners Association * Member, Alaska Outdoor Council * Member, American Management Association * Member, Chambers of Commerce (Various) * Member, Iditarod Parent-Teacher Association * Member, National Rifle Association * Member, Resource Development Council of Alaska * Member, Youth Court Steering Committee * Coach/Hockey Team Manager, Valley Youth Sports

steebo77 on August 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Ace and his site are complete wastes of time unless your a 14 year old that likes to cuss.

unseen on August 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Gotta stand up for Ace here — he did good work on the Weinergate scandal.

Mary in LA on August 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM

steebo77 on August 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Now I wonder how Perry’s resume would stack up. We keep being told that he was governor for ten years. What else has he done?

Aitch748 on August 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Like that. Very apt.

AH_C on August 23, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I remember watching an interview with the comedy act (husband-wife, if memory serves) who were one of the acts on before the Beatles during their first Ed Sullivan show in 1964. Those poor people. Ah, there’s a YouTube video about it: Mitzi McCall & Charlie Brill vs The Beatles

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM

steebo77 on August 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Thanks!

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 12:46 PM

You’ll realize she’s not about to do anything but revive -survive -thrive -stay alive – and strive, till she wins the whole enchalada -in spite of her RINO compromiser enemies on the right!

Don L on August 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Hi, I just want to say your comments are Totally Awesome!!

That’s Sarah in a nutshell!!!

Great comments.

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM

He is already employed by the bush family.

unseen on August 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Wonder why he’s keeping it so quiet? Maybe he’s working for Huntsman too, you know multi-tasking. Either that or he’s slipping, since Jeb Bush Junior endorsed him. Guess it’s hard to keep it straight.

bluefox on August 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM

But a Palin post – and the comments are through the roof, with this one going on a thousand.

whatcat on August 22, 2011 at 10:02 PM

No it isn’t. This site is rife with Palin supporters. They flock here. The TRUE barometer of her support is national polling. But you guys don’t like those results.

csdeven on August 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM

darwin on August 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Because Beck is the guy who said he may be going blind, and all of his minions began weeping, than he had a skin disease that could have been cancer, and life threatening, and all of his minions wept…this is to show you how easily you are manipulated, since you guys think only others are…I sat back and watched as he jerked your chains, and like the Pavlov dog, you all reacted.
That is why I mentioned Beck, because cultists follow people blindly,the irony was that you guys were saying someone who does not support Palin must be under a liberal “spell”…and we all laugh at you.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

whatcat on August 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

And I will point out again…the difference between what you want, and what I want are different.
You want a clever politician, and I want a fearless leader.
You already defined her as “waiting”, and I want one that boldly walks in and takes control…not all that walk into the arena prevail. Which is why some are hesitant to jump in, but I don’t want a timid leader, we can’t afford one this time.
And it cracks me up, now if you are not 100% for Palin, than you are a RINO, which shows you how ignorant, foolish, and blind, the followers are. Calling someone a name because they don’t agree with you is quite childish.
I get calling names to defend yourself when others attack you…but really, calling someone a “poo poo head” or the equivalent because they have a different opinion, you guys need to grow up, because kids are not going to get Palin elected.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM

If she gets the nomination, will you vote for her?

Mary in LA on August 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Perry will win the nomination, Palin will be energy secretary…she will endorse him and campaign for him, and he will win in a landslide…my prediction.
I don’t think anyone can overtake Perry’s momentum, unless he stumbles badly, ends up in bed with a stripper midget and a lonely goat type of thing.

right2bright on August 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

If she gets the nomination, will you vote for her?

Mary in LA on August 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Mary in LA on August 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Oops! sorry about that.

Mary in LA on August 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Stupidly copied and pasted my own comment. :-P

Oh, well — I’d still like to know: I know you’re not happy with Palin’s campaigning style. That said, if she gets the nom, will you vote for her?

Mary in LA on August 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM