“SlutWalk” comes to South Africa, where rape is on the rise

posted at 7:00 pm on August 20, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In a country in which more than 55,000 rapes and sexual assaults were reported from 2009 to 2010 alone, some 2,000 protesters marched the streets of Cape Town to contest the notion that what women wear might play into their victimization. The Washington Post reports:

Women draped sexy lingerie over their street clothes as they marched through Cape Town on Saturday, bringing an international campaign against the notion that a woman’s appearance can excuse attacks to a country where rape is seen as a national crisis.

Some 2,000 protesters walked a route where fans partied during last year’s football World Cup. Men joined in, some of them wearing miniskirts in solidarity. Some protesters pushed their children in strollers and carried signs declaring, “Rapists rape people, not outfits,” and “Weak men rape.” …

“SlutWalks” originated in Toronto, Canada, where they were sparked by a police officer’s remark that women could avoid being raped by not dressing like “sluts.”

One of the walkers said it was important for women to know their dignity “should not be taken away from them.” Yes, but it’s also important that women carry themselves with dignity in the first place — and that, I’m sorry to say, means adopting a modicum of modesty. I pity the poor police officer who tried to speak truth and instead sparked an international campaign to excuse women from taking any responsibility at all for the situations in which they place themselves. The police officer was not excusing rape — and neither am I. It is never, never OK. Nor is it ever, ever deserved: The rapist is always the perpetrator, the victim always the victim. But he was pointing out the obvious — that by taking care to dress in a self-respecting manner and by not putting themselves in potentially compromising situations, women reduce the likelihood that they will be that victim in the first place.

As a college coed, I sat through my fair share of women’s safety lectures. No presenter ever wanted to say it, but it had to be acknowledged as true: No way a girl who stays in her secured dorm room or heads to the local movie theater with friends on a Friday night runs the same risk of date rape as a girl who dances on the tables or falls down drunk at a college kegger. That’s just common sense.

On a separate but related note, the “SlutWalk” phenomenon troubles me for another reason. The bald-faced use of terms once universally accepted as offensive has become too common. Anti-rape activists aren’t the only women who have taken to referring to themselves with labels that suggest they have little to contribute to the community other than brazen sex appeal. Young girls, too, have hijacked formerly disparaging terms and held them hostage in desperate pleas for attention. Facebook walls are plastered with girl-to-girl messages that use these terms affectionately. Women do themselves a disservice when, instead of outright rejecting the use of insulting language, they try to redeem it by using it themselves. Regardless of who uses it, disgusting language is just that – disgusting. Why not a “Walk Like a Lady” anti-rape demonstration?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

What could go wrong?! heh heh

sonnyspats1 on August 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Bad idea. And don’t they rape babies there because they think it is a cure or AIDS?

Blake on August 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I hope they walk through a sharia compliant town. Then they will get an answer to the ‘Are we asking for it?’ question posed by their banners.

sonnyspats1 on August 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I cannot find the link right now but Pajama Media had an article by Zombie that totally called this whole thing for what it is. Nonsense.

bbz123 on August 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Why does a woman find it necessary to wear a micro-mini or shorts that ride up her cheeks? It does get looks but generates thoughts that I doubt most women want generated. If they want a date, why not just ask?

Vince on August 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM

The problem with “slut walks” is, it offends good men, and just entertains the very pervs that it wants to punish.

RBMN on August 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

If you don’t support the slut walk, you’re clearly a misogynist.

I think that’s the rules, right?

ButterflyDragon on August 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM

If you don’t respect yourself first, there’s little chance anyone else will.

teacherman on August 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

South Africa used to be such a nice place, I wonder what happened.

MadDogF on August 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

My personal opinion is that this crap is perpetuated by those who want to push the social envelope. That way, when raped, they can claim they share no responsibility for the situation.

GarandFan on August 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM

bbz123 on August 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Here ya’ go.
It is really worth reading/seeing.

billy on August 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I don’t think it much matters what a woman wears in South Africa. It’s a nearly lawless country, and muggings and rape are rampant. There are closed and sealed suburban areas everywhere. The clothing issue is utterly bogus. It’s a culture that is tolerated by the government.

Aardvark on August 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

It doesn’t matter if the woman walks around butt naked! Any man that takes what is not his without permission is the f-in’ slut, and the scum of the earth—period.

Rovin on August 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I bet in 99 percent of rapes clothing was not an issue.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Sorry plenty of rapes in areas known for burqa wearing women.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Everything you said here is common sense but woe to any guy that points it out.

Southernblogger on August 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM

If you don’t respect yourself first, there’s little chance anyone else will.

teacherman on August 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

this ⇭

Sir you need to post more.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 7:46 PM

To answer the question on the sign: “Yes, you’re asking for it, you stupid sluts.”

All humans are responsible for their actions, no matter what the provocation. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s downright stupid for a woman to trust that every man who gets turned on by her sleazy outfit, will possess the self-control he ought.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, read the bolded sentence again.

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Women draped sexy lingerie over their street clothes

Cowards. It seems they lack the courage of thier convictions too. At least the ones that actualy dressed like sluts let it all hang out.

It is immature, irresponsible, deliberately provocative, and mostly about things other than protesting rape, like promoting women’s power over men. These women are NOT like slavery abolitionist, they are much more akin to gay marriage advocates who really want to destroy something else as their prime motive. Nothing will ever be enough for these sluts. Next it WILL be naked walks, and don’t you dare wolf whistle unless she asked for it, in writing.

AnotherOpinion on August 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I told my daughter that. And when she would bring friends home from college, they would be required to hear the same thing. What amazed me was that so few of her friends had ever been told that, and my daughter attended a Christian college.

oldleprechaun on August 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Rovin on August 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Nobody’s contesting that but why up the odds of becoming a victim? It doesn’t matter if someone walks down skid row with 100 dollar bills hanging out of their pockets, anyone who robs them at gunpoint is scumsucking robber trash, but it would still be dumb thing to do.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I wouldn’t dream of raping a woman, but I’ll still think she’s a slut if she dresses as one.

Black Adam on August 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Yes… because we should all dress like nuns and spend our lives praying to Jesus like Tina says. I’m sorry, but when I go out to clubs, I do dress a certain way to attract guys. This generally involves wearing revealing tops, tight jeans, and short dresses. This doesn’t mean that I deserve to be raped by anyone because I am wearing a sleeveless shirt that shows my boobs. I might want to flirt with or potentially go out with some of the guys in the bar. No still means no if a creep comes up to me, however. Just because I dressed up in this situation doesn’t mean that I want to spread my legs for every drunken creep that I meet in the bar.

Also, there is this weird situation of correlation equals causation (again). When I went to college, I had to take not drinking and date rape lecture along with every other freshman. They will definitely tell you that drinking to excess is not a good situation and that you should watch out for your drinks because of date rape. However, how you dress and how much you drink are different situations. There are college girls who have mini-skirts and also are careful when they go out. Demanding that everyone wear nun clothes and never attend a bar in college is as silly as asserting that non-coed housing will suddenly make college students study and not party. There is some really dubious, circular logic going on here.

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM

oldleprechaun on August 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I echo your disappointment, but not your amazement. I’m a Bible-believing Christian, but I wasn’t when I attended a private Christian school from 4th grade through 12th grade. Most of the kids at that school weren’t even nominal Christians — they were kids whose parents hoped a Christian school would do some good for their wayward children. And of course that’s a pipe dream. If a child doesn’t learn morals at home before being exposed to counteractive influences, he/she sure as heck won’t learn them in an institution.

My point is, a “Christian” institution is no guarantee of anything at all. Caveat Emptor.

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, read the bolded sentence again.

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

So what is your definition of decent clothing for women… Should we all wear burkas like the Muslims argue because heaven forbid we actually raise men’s libido. As Islam suggests men cannot handle even looking at a women’s bare ankles, so any women who dares to show their bare ankles should be stoned to death.

Rape is still rape. It is a crime of power and possession. Most rapist don’t care how hot the woman is; they’ll do the first willing victim. There’s an argument for keeping yourself alert and aware by not getting drunk and fending off any rapes, but I don’t think that women should have to wear burkas because men cannot control their sex drives.

Frankly, your post is utterly disgusting.

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

There is some really dubious, circular logic going on here.
Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM

The only dubious logic is your position that the only alternative to dressing like a whore is dressing like a nun.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Women draped sexy lingerie over their street clothes

AnotherOpinion on August 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

It shows shows that the marchers themselves do not believe what they are claiming to say, and are more interesting in using the event as a way to put down men, in their owns minds at least.

pedestrian on August 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM

South Africa used to be such a nice place, I wonder what happened.

MadDogF on August 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

It still is a nice place. Nelson Mandela and the ANC made it into a paradise. Don’t spread rumors and become an un-person, Brother.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Nobody’s contesting that but why up the odds of becoming a victim? tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

It’s not the point tommy, if a man has become a dog, what’s in the bowl to eat makes no difference to the dog. You’re saying that it makes a difference what the woman wears, and I’m saying the man has become a dog. You’re saying that if the woman looks seductive, it’s an un-necessary invitation. And I’m sayin’ shoot the worthless dog.

Rovin on August 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Rape started at epidemic proportions when the media,all liberals, hollywood and the usual ilk said the blacks had to rule the country and get rid of white government. The ranchers were slaughtered and raped, the best and the brightest fled the country, Winnie Mandela burned black people alive because they didn’t toe the line and on and on. Further, hundreds of thousands of blacks who enjoyed the highest employment rate in Africa lost jobs as white business were “managed” by the ANC. A sordid history which also happened under Robert Mugabe in Rhodesia (now’zimbabwe’) and seems to have a spark of beginning in our own land. Black Panther power! Behold Holder’s people!/s

wepeople on August 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Umm.. I don’t consider what I am wearing to be at all street walker-esque. Do I dress differently when I go out with my friends than I do to the office? You betcha. How do you want me to dress? Should I wear a burka out to the bars so all the guys libidos aren’t tapped? That sounds like the justification that Islamic extremists use for stoning rape victims.

Of course, I’m sure that I’m pure evil because I’m almost thirty and have the audacity to be single and going out to bars and not barefoot in the kitchen popping out babies every year.

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Like everything in real life, it is a balance between conflicting tendencies. Drinking alcohol increases the risk of something bad happening, but otherwise makes the evening more enjoyable, so people drink in moderation. Same thing with visually appealing clothing for women. You have to accept responsibility for your choices and act in accordance with the reality that there are bad people out there that do not respond in a acceptable or lawful manner, but the cops will not be there when you need them.

pedestrian on August 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Given that you obviously have no clue what circular logic is, it doesn’t surprise me that you would also not recognize an obvious strawman fallacy when you write it.

Every girl has the freedom to dress like a slut, including you. And every person has the freedom to label you as such. In this case, the “SlutWalk” organizers are doing the labeling.

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM

You’re missing the point. A dog will go after a sirloin before it goes after a carrot. There have always been men who are dogs and there always will be. Evil exists and life isn’t fair. Everyone eventually learns that lesson, one way or another.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Talk about dubious logic – a mensa grad couldn’t connect those dots. Look I don’t care how you dress but I do tire of your whining and refusal to expect someone to accept the consequenses of their actions – no matter how unfair they are.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Women never march in support of proper sammich making.

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Clothing is advertising. If you owned a neighborhood bar, you could advertise on a billboard next to a downtown strip club, or advertise on a billboard next to a mom-and-pop bakery. Both will bring in customers. But don’t be surprised if it affects who shows up that evening.

RBMN on August 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I get your point but heres mine- rape is taking something that wasnt given to you and doesnt belong to you. I dont care what the girl,woman, old lady, infant, daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, or someone’s wife is wearing. Rape is rape. Its done for power. Its done to create fear. These women doing the so called slut walk are trying to tell people-we dont fear you, you dont have power over us.

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Are you sure you’re old enough to go to a bar? You sound like you’re twelve. But hey, I don’t mean to trample your dream. Whatever you’re selling, you’ll find a buyer.

*sigh*

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I’m pretty sure that clothing isn’t the primary motivation of rape in Africa. Just a thought, there.

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I am wearing a sleeveless shirt that shows my boobs.

How you doin’?

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Nobody said it was the primary motivation, just one of many triggers.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM

If anyone didn’t know, the sexual urge in men, particularly young men, is really very strong. If a woman wears immodest clothing, yes, it might excite men. The entire Islamic dress code is based on that. You’re talking about a billion people who recognize the obvious. If I eat undercooked turkey, I might get salmonella. Maybe. If I walk near the edge of a cliff, I might fall off. Probably not. I might.

Gender politics? Men and women are wired differently. What man doesn’t understand a woman’s exposed skin is often sexually stimulating? Someone tell the women that. They don’t get it.

Paul-Cincy on August 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Gotta agree with you there. I think the marchers know it and are just using their dress as advertising for their cause. Weirdly ironic.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I saw plenty of immodestly dressed women as a young man but never ever did I think I should rape them.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Nobody said it was the primary motivation, just one of many triggers.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Yeah, it’s not even one of the triggers at all. I really suggest you look at why women are raped in Africa. That’s sort of what makes this walk a joke. I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not, though. It’s really making light of the situation over there.

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Good for you but there are evil people who are different.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Nobody said it was the primary motivation, just one of many triggers.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM

No sir, the trigger is power, fear, and control. The trigger is the rapists lack of an ability to control his sexual urges and the gratification he achieves by holding a woman[or a man] against her/his will and doing things to her/his body that would never be allowed if the person held captive was not in fear for their life.

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Illinidiva

Nobody suggested you dress “like a nun.” This is the problem with people. They hear “tone it back a bit” and assume that the other person means the extreme.

Also, when you dress to attract men, you attract ALL men, including would be rapists. This doesn’t mean that you ‘asked’ for it since your intention was to attract honest, good guys (well, non-rapists anyway.) However, the other side of this is that rapists aren’t always choosy, and will take an opportune target over an ideal target. Dressing sexy may cause you to catch a rapists eye, and they will either wait for a good opportunity or try to create one.

So perhaps its not the clothing that should ever be at issue here, its education on how to protect yourself from these dangers. For instance, never walk alone on the street at night, even in well lit areas. Always have some sort of personal protection, be it pepper spray or more direct forms of protection like a handgun. Never allow a guy to drive you ANYWHERE if you just met him, and never get too drunk to sober up for an hour in your locked car. Always have a designated driver that you trust that can take you home and help you collect your vehicle if you drove to the party venue.

Cheesecakecrush on August 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Please show me where it’s been established that there is one single soliltary reason for every rape that occurs in Africa. And these Slutwalks have been taking place all over the world, not just in Africa.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Honest question: does that make sense to you? You minimized the name by calling it the ‘so-called slut walk’, but that’s the name chosen by the organizers, not by critics. However well-intentioned the organizers might have been, doesn’t the “SlutWalk” name inevitably obscure the good intentions?

The most natural message of “SlutWalk” to the average non-slutty citizen is, “We’re a bunch of dumb sluts.”

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Who in the heck said “nun clothes?” There are plenty of ways to dress that are attractive. You probably need some lessons on self esteem more than revealing clothing.

Vince on August 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM

So why dress in a way that will stimulate those urges? You make my point.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Vince on August 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Why ask why, I say. :)

whatcat on August 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Indeed, it would be akin to black civil rights marchers in the 60s calling their marches “N-word Walks”.

whatcat on August 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

There’s a widespread myth in SA that raping a woman who doesn’t have AIDS will rid a man of AIDS. Thus, most of the rape victims are not even teenagers.

There area also ancient tribal things to consider.

Let’s not pretend that clothing has anything to do with it, at least in Africa.

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Women can walk around naked, nude….anywhere.
I will never, never agree with you, Tina, on this one.
There IS no excuse and you cannot make one for me, especially not with any ‘modesty’ dressing argument.
Wrong.
Rape is wrong. Period. End of story. Clothing optional.

bridgetown on August 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Vince on August 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Why don’t more.

That’s the real question you are asking, correct? ;)

lorien1973 on August 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

The line between sexy and slutty (neither of which invite rape, I might add) has definitely become a bit murkier. One person’s definition of “cute” is another person’s…er…slorewear? Kind of relative. :) But I understand the inherent tension, navigating the singles’ scene and dressing “current.”

With that said, rapists will do so regardless what the girl wears. It’s who they are. Just know who your friends are and be careful who you trust– particularly when bar hopping.

Bee on August 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Ha! And right on schedule an ad for slut shoes shows up (“Shoe Dazzle”) right above this story.

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Dim bulb diva – nice strawman you’ve erected there: I either have to dress super provocatively to “attract men” or wear a Burkha. There’s no middle ground. Woe is me! I’m a victim! Men are beasts!

Buy Danish on August 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM

pedestrian on August 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

As I pointed out, most schools actually advise against excessively drinking alcohol. I had to go to informational sessions about this back in the olden days ten years ago. This is different than saying that a woman deserves it because they go out to a bar with friends or wear a halter top. I was always told to drink in moderation, not let a guy buy you a drink, and watch out for your friends.

However, even a woman who doesn’t follow these rules because she might be a 18 deserves to be treated as a victim. It is never right for police officers to blame the victim.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Just pointing out that this is what the Islamic extremists use in order to justify honor killings. As in that a man has so many urges, he cannot help raping women unless they are locked away, escorted by male relatives, or wearing full length burkas. Otherwise the victim should be stoned. At least this is what the Iranians and Al Qaeda practice, so I don’t see how your logic is any different.

*sigh*

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Because I have the audacity to disagree with you?? Frankly based on your and Tommyboy’s argument, I’m assuming that you aren’t a big fan of women being educated and actually having lives that don’t revolve around having babies, homeschooling, cleaning, and being submissive to their husbands. Based on that, I’m not sure how your worldview is different from extremist Muslims.

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Good for you but there are evil people who are different.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Well I hope you drive with your windows up and keep your windows locked at home all the time.

Really?

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Rape is wrong. Period. End of story.

Non-sequiter. No one here is or has denied that rape is wrong. That’s not the issue. The issue what makes it more probable and whether that’s a bright thing to do.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Honest question: does that make sense to you?

Here is what makes sense. They did the walk as a protest/empowerment march. It gives them a feeling of sisterhood and comraderie. A sort of in your face slap at potential rapists. What they call it is also part of the fight-it doesnt matter if you ARE a slut-rape is rape and no is no. I dont care for the name of it, because personally to me it is demeaning-but to others its empowerment. Your labels can no longer hurt me kind of thing.Does any of this make sense?

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I bet you a hoot at the beach. Do you go around scolding all the women wearing their two piece and string bikinis?

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Total straw man. Nobody here is advocating stoning anyone and suggesting that dressing overly provocative can create a higher probability of rape is different in degree and kind that promoting honor killing. Two totally different things.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

So why dress in a way that will stimulate those urges? You make my point.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

How do I make your point? The rapist could be turned on by a 90 year old woman in a diaper, strapped to her wheelchair with a nightgown robe and slippers covering her entire body, and the rapist would still not be able to control himself? Not to be offensive but get real. Its not a woman’s fault that a man cannot control himself.

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Do you go around asking for medals because you’ve never raped anybody?

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM

doesn’t matter. a freak can have a ‘clothing fetish’ just the same.

It should Never matter what a woman is wearing.
Rapists should pay for the crime.
No excuse. You aren’t freakin’ animals. You are human beings.

bridgetown on August 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Let’s imagine an analogous protest for some other crime. Say, robbery.

So I’m going to organize a protest “walk”, and I gotta come up with a catchy name, so it will make the news. Ah, I’ve got it: “Weak, Stupid Victims Of Robbery Walk.” Okay, not as catchy as “SlutWalk”, but hey, it serves the same purpose. To wit, we point out to the general public that our group of protesters reinforces the negative stereotypes of victims of robbery, while simultaneously claiming not to deserve to be victimized. Only people so stupid as to carry lots of money and too weak to fight back get robbed, right? So there you go, we’ve got a name for our walk. Don’t argue, it makes sense, trust me.

Just to make sure the message is completely obvious, let’s have all our male protesters be 5’2″ or under, and put big fat wallets in their back pockets. Heck, have some of them counting their money as they walk. All the female protesters should have huge stuffed bras, and signs on their back which read, “I do not have my life’s savings hidden in my bra.”

They should carry a huge sign which reads, “ARE ANY OF US ASKING 4 IT?!?!”

———–

So there you go. A royalty-free template for a protest walk for every victim group imaginable, including Victims Of Neighbors’ Poor Taste In Lawn Decorations. You’re welcome.

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

But a rapist is much more likely to be turned on by a scantily clad young woman. That’s reality. No one is suggesting it’s the “woman’s fault” that’s the straw man argument of this whole issue.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

How dare you!

This is really becoming silly. Interesting Tommy dismisses my point about the beach. I wonder are there rapes upon rapes at Miami beach? Talk about some hot women . How do men control themselves??/

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Do you go around asking for medals because you’ve never raped anybody?

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Is that your answer ? Really?

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

BS on all points and you know it. Read this again and then read all of your posts.

Its not a woman’s fault that a rapist cannot control himself.

You say its not the womans fault and in every post you mention that the woman’s dress sets her up for it.

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

You’re a parrot now.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

It should Never matter what a woman is wearing.
Rapists should pay for the crime.

Nobody has suggested otherwise.

No excuse. You aren’t freakin’ animals. You are human beings.
bridgetown on August 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

But unfortunately there are freakin’ degenerate animals in this world. They are bad. They are evil. They are dangerous. That’s unfair but it is. One can either accept the reality of that or suffer the consequenses of it.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

In some cases being a child is “creating a higher probability of rape” because some people get excited by small children. Quick, hide the kids!

No offense, but you sound like an idiot with your ‘non-sequitors’ and your ‘straw men’

Rape is rape. Pretending that the way someone dresses or anything else changes anyone’s behavior doesn’t matter. Rape is rape. No excuse. No benefit of the doubt because the rapist saw a sparkly shiny orange object. Doesn’t matter.

bridgetown on August 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I think Tommy is telling us something about himself.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Tommy has issues with dealing with women. That is quite clear from his skewed thinking. Funny millions of women on beaches around this country and I cannot think of the last time I heard about a rape on a beach. Hmmmm.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Splashman on August 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Go get robbed.
Go get raped.

Report back to me how you were once able to compare the two so closely and so flippantly.

bridgetown on August 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Its not a woman’s fault that a rapist cannot control himself.
canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

No it isn’t but it is reality. You just can’t accept that the world can be evil and unfair thus forcing people to take precautions they wouldn’t have to exercise in a perfect world.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

South Africa used to be such a nice place, I wonder what happened.

MadDogF on August 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

The civil rights movement more or less turned to a terrorist movement. Also, the legitimate government got hit by a rare thing: effective sanctions by clueless Western nations that gave legitimacy to the rebels. There were no real winners from that conflict – apartheid went out the window but so did law and order.

As to the brainless skanks making up this ‘protest’, I’d like to see them try this in a Muslim area. The looks on their faces when they realize that there’s no Western police force to bail their clueless arses out from the cavemen…

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

CW on August 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Just do a goodle search Einstein and you will find hundreds of news accounts of women being rapted on beaches. CW has issues dealing with reality.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

wanna cracker?

with your line of thinking no beach would be safe. how could a woman ever dare go outside dressed like that? you know asking for it.

i think you are in essence doing some projection./

CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Sure.

Weird I have been to the beach at least a hundred times . Weird…no rapes.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

There is no logical inconsistancy there.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Weird I have been to the beach at least a hundred times . Weird…no rapes.
CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I’ve been in rainstorms at least a hundred times and never been struck by lightening. I guess it never happens.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

tommy I suggest you go to the beach and cover them women up. you better start advocating that women be completely covered at the beach . we would not want them asking for it now . would we?

CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Honestly … this is much adieu for nothing … I don’t see the problem with this.

Look … they have a Rape problem – and one of the biggest excuses that attackers use, as well as the society at large, is that somehow the women were “asking for it” because they were dressed or behaving in a slutty manner.

So all of the women band together in solidarity to take a stand against that kind of thinking.

“We’re all Sluts … we’re your mothers, we’re your sisters, your cousins, your next door neighbors – and none of us approve of what you’re doing”

That’s their message – what’s wrong with that?

“Walk like a Lady March” ??? Didn’t Tina say that “ladies” have less chance of being victims of violence? So how is that going to get the message across?

These women weren’t breaking the law – nor were they harming anyone.

Why don’t we just leave them be? I’m serious … all this “judgement” going on … as if anyone has all the answers.

Let them be.

HondaV65 on August 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Women draped sexy lingerie over their street clothes as they marched through Cape Town on Saturday, bringing an international campaign against the notion that a woman’s appearance can excuse provoke attacks to a country where rape is seen as a national crisis.

Tilting against windmills. The problem with these nitwits is that once the rape happens, nothing can undo the damage, so why step yourself up to be a victim in waiting? Like the adage about avoiding a bear attack is to be faster than the next guy… or to flip another adage; take care when riding your bike and assume the motorists are out to kill you. Better to give way than to be right — dead right. Yes a woman has a right to be as dirty as she wants to be but that right will not protect you from someone who is wrong.

Geez. The ignorance of these slut wakers is breathtakingly tragic.

AH_C on August 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Hmmm if this was the problem you say it is I think in all those visits it would have happened but in fact the problem is not a provocation brought on by scantily clad women. What is your problem? Any shrink reading your posts would come to the conclusion that the problem is yours.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Illinidiva

Cheesecakecrush on August 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

That is the whole point and what I mentioned in my previous statement. Colleges do teach you how to deal with these situations (as well as good parents). There are alcohol education classes and such. Everyone knows those rules and they have nothing to do with how you dress. However, even if a 19-year-old does something wrong, that doesn’t mean that the police should just dismiss her charge and tell her it was her fault. Rape is still rape; it doesn’t matter if the girl trusted the guy for a ride home.

Buy Danish on August 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM

My definition of sexy is probably your definition of slutty, so no that isn’t the case. For instance, I’m not going to wear a buttoned up long sleeved shirt and an ankle length shirt if I have a date (nun wear). I’m going to wear a pair of skinny jeans and a lower-cut shirt as well as high heels. I don’t consider that street walker wear; however, some posters would probably argue that I’m a slut who deserves to be raped based on the reactions to this post.

Additionally, rapists are beasts, not men. Most men are able to control their sex drives around women. Excusing rapists, who BTW are just as likely to rape women in dowdy ankle length skirts as in minis, makes all men look bad. Guys should be upset by the argument that they have such strong sexual urges and cannot prevent themselves from sexually assaulting any girl who is wearing skinny jeans.

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Let them be.

HondaV65 on August 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Fine but as I stated earlier I think they are using this to draw attention when I think most rapes have little to do with someone’s dress.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Its not a woman’s fault that a rapist cannot control himself.
canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

What you dont understand is you completely lost the argument. Rapists have triggers and only the rapist knows what those are. We should all live our lives in fear 24/7 of some whack job somewhere waiting to rape us because we (his potential victim) did something to turn him on???
Damn hope I never have to go to the beach Im so fearful of the evil world we live in thats mostly full of men who take personal responsibility for their sexual urges... Im done trying to explain this to you. Your failed arguments tell more about you than they do about anyone else. Have a nice life.

canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM

How do the beaches stay open? Heck the beach near my house doesn’t even have a lifeguard . Heck there isn’t even a policeman on duty.
I guess the deviants know to stay away.

CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

CW on August 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

How they choose to dress is completely up to them. We all deal with the consequences of our behavior, whether that’s fair or not.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Have a nice life.
canditaylor68 on August 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Thank you.

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Actually, no it is totally the argument that fundamentalist Muslims use in their justification of honor killings. The only different between you and them is a difference in degrees.

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Illinidiva on August 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

No one is suggesting you dress like a Pentacostalist frump. You’re building quite an army of strawmen…

Buy Danish on August 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

tommyboy on August 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

It’s amazing that you continue to stick to this tired, empty argument.

Deciding to wear clothes or not has Nothing To Do With An Evil Idiot raping someone.

Have you ever traveled beyond your county? Grow Up. That, or keep your yearnings to yourself when you see a WOMAN who excites you to the point of FORCING Yourself into her. Jerk.

bridgetown on August 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM