Huntsman suggests Perry might be dismissed as someone “not serious on the issues”

posted at 5:30 pm on August 20, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In an interview with ABC’s Jake Tapper to air on “This Week” Sunday, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman — the presidential candidate many pundits considered a footnote in the Iowa events last weekend — took aim at Texas Gov. Rick Perry — the candidate who adroitly executed his entrance into the presidential race with an immediate presence in three important primary states.

Specifically, Huntsman took issue with Perry’s characterization of QE3 as “treacherous … almost treasonous” and his skepticism about evolution and global warming. But what was ironic about the attack was that Huntsman — who consistently polls in the single digits — said Perry risks being dismissed as someone “not serious on the issues.” It seems Huntsman would rather be seen as serious than as a serious contender. The Hill reports:

“I’m not sure that the average voter out there is going to hear that treasonous remark and say that sounds like a presidential candidate, that sounds like someone who is serious on the issues,” said Huntsman in an interview with ABC News’ Jake Tapper to be aired on This Week on Sunday.

“Every time we have these sideshows take place, finger-pointing and name-calling. It takes us that much farther off the ball, which is fixing our core in this country, is getting our economy fixed and creating jobs,” added Huntsman. …

On the campaign trail, Perry had said [Federal Reserve Chairman Ben] Bernanke would have been treated “pretty ugly” in Texas if the Federal Reserve chief were to print more money and suggested such an action would be “almost treacherous — or treasonous.”

“I don’t know if that’s pre-secession Texas or post-secession Texas,” added Huntsman in his interview, a reference to a report that Gov. Perry had once said that Texas could leave the United States “anytime we want.”

It’s all a bit rich coming from Huntsman, who casts himself as the “civility” candidate but tweets snarky remarks, inserts subtle jabs at his opponents into his conversation and continually resurrects the “sideshows” — like Perry’s secession comments — he says are damaging to the Republican image. (FWIW, the hypocrisy bothers me more than the snark.)

Huntsman’s comments remind me of what I said about Pawlenty early on when T-Paw complained about the media’s obsession with Sarah Palin’s bus tour: Candidates do themselves few favors when they fixate on the competitors they see as a threat. Better to keep their eyes on the frontrunner or (better yet) the incumbent. All too often, the criticisms lower-tier candidates make are valid, but come across as petty. In this case, as Ed has pointed out, Perry did word his verdict of QE3 more strongly than was necessary or even appropriate. And Huntsman surely does have an edge with independents who accept evolution and global warming without suggesting Perry marginalizes himself by giving voice to an alternate opinion — views that, incidentally, plenty of Americans share. All that does is remind voters that Huntsman is himself a marginal candidate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hey, Huntsman. Pound sand. You are not part of the solution. You are part of the problem.

petefrt on August 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Huntsman has now gained the Serious DingDong niche in the race.

DaMav on August 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Mcguyver on August 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I’m sure you can prove this smear of Gov. Perry, right? Along with links, etc?

You are comparing him to B.O.? If Gov. Perry has any problems, they pale in comparison to yours.

I’m sure you’ve been on Hotair telling the truth about B.O. and the many ways he has/is destroying this Country.

bluefox on August 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Then after he loses, he switches parties in 2013.

jon1979 on August 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

But, is he really a threat? He’s got 1% support… Why would he run 3p, unless he was funded by someone els.. oh, wait.

Key West Reader on August 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM

For the most part, these comments on here about Huntsman are hilarious. It has been rumored for sometime that Huntsman actually supported Obama behind the scenes in 2008, and now I believe it. First heard it from a Mormon neighbor who couldn’t stand him as Governor. Said he conned Utah conservatives to become Governor and after getting reelected went left. I have no clue if he did or not but after reading about his comments on global warming doubt if he is going to be contacting Senator Inhofe for his opinion anytime soon. :)

Maybe he can team up with my Congressman who thinks he lives in suburbia Oklahoma with a tough election according to Politico who said that is why these Congressmen are speaking out. I cracked up laughing as I live two blocks from where cattle are grazing and I live in the city limits of Norman. Our Oklahoma suburbia contains a lot of farmland. Real truth is that he is tied to Rove and Bush 41 but he didn’t want to say that.

PhiKapMom on August 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

He’s got 1% support…

Key West Reader on August 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Isn’t it interesting that Huntsman warrants so much media coverage when he is only 1%…?

… This is nothing but the political elite ruling class trying to frame the message and the candidates for us.

It’s a good thing that they are going to tell us who to vote for…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on August 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM

“…unfortunately the political consultant culture will not allow that to take place. When someone is behind and can’t seem to get traction by being positive and focusing on Obama, their advisers will become desperate and tell the candidate they must attack this or that…”

To paraphrase Shakespeare “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers political consultants.”

HTL on August 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I am far more likely to vote for Perry than Huntsman. But I do think that sometimes Perry lays it on a little thick. I am waiting for him to put on suspenders so that he can loop his thumbs through them, rock back on his heels and do a fog horn leg horn routine..I say I say…. But I would still vote for him before I would vote for Huntsman.

Terrye on August 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM

petefrt on August 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

He’s not part of the Republican Party, period.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Why should anyone care about what this high school drop out has to say? He’s about as relevant as Gary Johnson, and just about as smart (not very).

therightwinger on August 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

PhiKapMom on August 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Well, we do know that Jeb Bush Junior has endorsed Huntsman.

Huntsman wasn’t getting much press coverage, so he invokes Gov. Perry’s name.

bluefox on August 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Huntsman now shows what his role is to be in this race. Anyone getting close to BO will be brought down by Hunstman. He is still his master’s pet Republican.

Jdripper on August 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Perry: (paraphrase) if the liberal media tries to lie about and smear Texas tell them that dog won’t hunt.

juliesa on August 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

They used that clip on the local news. I have some big issues with Perry, but I loved the line. They didn’t show any interviews with anyone. They did say he picked up two endorsements: someone in S.C. and someone who had endorsed Dubya. The latter was either the U.S ambassador to Canada or the Canadian ambassador to the U.S. (Where’s canopfor when you need him?)

TxAnn56 on August 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

juliesa on August 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Oh, NOESSS!!11!1! Sarah Palin Rick Perry is picking fights with the media!!11!1! Why must she he always play the victim card?

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Let’s get back to something really, really simple.

Didn’t Rick Perry promise the voters of Texas that if re-elected (to his 3rd term in office) that he would serve out his full term?

I don’t ever want to see or hear of any Perry operative or supporter accuse Sarah Palin of being a quitter.

technopeasant on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Oh no! Not the “He’s not serious “card please. This clown Humtsman must have gotten his strategy from Rove, Krauthammer, Coulter, Ingraham, and Will, gang. They have perfected the “not serious” card. Some say that it’s almost on par with the dreaded “N” word in dismantling an opponent.
There are no known responses to the “Not serious” card. It is only thrown in desperation and usually is a career ender-worse that getting caught not paying taxes or something evil like that. What’s next, calling them a “paper mache” candidate? Say that has a nice ring to it.

Did this guy Huntsman try that “not serious” card on a liberal focus group, first? They do tend to cry and whine easily -like Obama with his bad luck, so it might not get Perry quivering and sucking his thumb in a fetal position…but you never know.

Don L on August 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Let’s get back to something really, really simple.

technopeasant on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

January 29, 2010 (at 4:40 in the video):

Debate Moderator: If you are elected to another four years, do you promise tonight, right here and right now, Governor, to serve all four years?
Rick Perry: You know, that’s kinda up to the Lord. Um…from that standpoint, I have no idea what my future holds for me four years down the road.
Moderator: What, what does that mean, sir?
Rick Perry: What that means is, is that I’ve got a lot of faith in the Lord. I hope He’s gonna let me live for four years, and if He does, I will serve out my governorship.
Moderator: Well, let’s, let’s assume, let’s assume you’re healthy. Then, you say you are going to serve the rest of the term.
Rick Perry: Yes, sir. Absolutely.
Moderator: Absolutely?
Rick Perry: I think I have clearly stated, if your, if your intent here is to question where I would wanna go any better than being the governor of the State of Texas…
Moderator: That’s what I’m getting at.
Rick Perry: That place hadn’t been made yet.

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Huntsman on the offensive.

No, Huntsman is offensive.

JEM on August 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Perry not serious. Did you tell the truth about Obama being anti-american? Did you tell the truth that creating inflation is treasoness?

proconstitution on August 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Why is ABC spending 5 minutes of their Sunday show on this guy, polling at about 1%? Oh, I know why. McCain was about in the same position and THIS is the “media’s candidate”.

Marcus on August 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

technopeasant: I would submit that the two situations you cite are completely different. Palin quit in the middle of her term with no warning. Perry is running for President, although back in 2010 said he wasn’t interested in running for President. Not the same.

HTL on August 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

He did promise. But I don’t hold it against him. Everyone gets asked that question when running, and if everyone held to it, we could only run people who were not currently serving. That weakens the pool of available candidates quite seriously.

It’s just one of those things.

Now you can make a different argument if someone is obviously using a position as a stepping stone (*cough*Obama*cough*Hillary), but that’s not Perry. He’s the longest serving governor in the country.

Missy on August 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Evolution, sure. No conclusive proof but a lot of strong evidence and in over a century no one’s yet falsified it as a theory.

But you can’t sell ‘climate change’ on that basis – once again Perry’s a bit bombastic but basically correct.

Huntsman is America’s Malcolm Turnbull.

JEM on August 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Thanks Asian’s, Knucklehead. On our way back to SA. My iPhone is worn out.

juliesa on August 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I am beginning to believe huntsman is in it to take out the republicans.
He was a mccain supporter last time and did fundraisers for him. So if he comes out sounding like mccain, he is mccain lite.
I don’t even know why they give him any coverage at all – 1% – not much!
Then I just heard Huckabee say he is going to have him on his show. WHY!
Huckabee hates Mormons, so why have huntsman on.

Bambi on August 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Hey, Jon. How much longer will Zero make you go thru with this charade?

slug on August 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Marcus on August 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Far left lefty, Caroline Heldman, professor at Occidental College, was just on Huckabee & asked to grade Huntsman & Perry. She gave Perry a D and Huntsman an A.
That’s all you need to know. Run don’t walk away from Huntsman.

redridinghood on August 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

HUNTSMAN is proving himself to be a definite REAGAN REPUBLICAN.

MMMMMMM, a NANCY REAGAN Republican.

PappyD61 on August 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Who’s Huntsman?

Fuquay Steve on August 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Let’s get back to something really, really simple.

technopeasant on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Hilarious. Most Perry supporters like Sarah Palin and aren’t here to tear her down. The only crap about her being a “quitter” is to all her a-wee-bit-over-the-top “anybody else must be defeated” supporters here when they use that talking point against Perry.

I am a “voter of Texas”. How many times do you need to hear: Nobody cares!

Marcus on August 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Has anyone ever seen Jon Hunstman and Barak Obama in the same room together? The reason I ask is that Huntman is reminding me of an SNL skit that Eddie Murphy once did, when he was made up to look Caucasian and went out into the world as “white”. I have to think the same thing is happening here.

Mutnodjmet on August 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Hunt who?

bloviator on August 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Palin quit as Governor after a little over two years to write and book and tour the lower 48 to make money. If I lived in AK, would probably do the same thing — I hate cold weather!

If Perry leaves after 11 years, it will be to become President of the United States which is moving up not quitting.

If someone doesn’t know the difference, then there is no hope! :)

PhiKapMom on August 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Picture of Obama and Huntsman — kind of reminds me of Crist and Obama except they are not hugging just getting very close.

PhiKapMom on August 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Who cares what he she said?

David in ATL on August 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Mcguyver on August 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I’m sure you can prove this smear of Gov. Perry, right? Along with links, etc?

bluefox on August 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

The truth will come out for all to see, and I say this as having absolute disdain for Karl Rove:

They cited Perry’s reliance on federally supported development deals — undercutting his states-on-their-own theory of American government; what they described as sweetheart deals with former staffers and, as one insider said, “Perry’s total shallowness and refusal to dig deep on the issues. “All he wants to know is the sound bite. He doesn’t care about anything else.”

….ut the biggest irony is that Rove, a brilliant strategist and tactician, built the modern GOP that Perry inherited. Rove did it in three ways.

Rick Perry is the bastard – and hated as much – brain child of Karl Rove.

NEVER

FORGET

THAT

Mcguyver on August 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Check out our State Constitution Jon. Texas is the only State in the Union that was a Country first, you know Lone Star Republic. I would be disappointed in Perry if he didn’t know the particulars of the Texas State Constitution, he is the Governor. Texas was an independent country.

As far as the rest of the criticism goes, it’s obvious that Jon Huntsman recognizes Rick Perry as the front runner or he wouldn’t be attacking him….how odd that Obama’s once ambassador to China has no criticism for his old boss – supposedly who Huntsman wants to face in the General. I doubt seriously we will see Perry responding to Huntsman – Obama’s proxy? What’s the point in punching down?

Dr Evil on August 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I don’t expect Perry to respond to Huntsman’s criticism. What’s the point of punching down when you are the front runner? I guess Huntsman is acting as Obama’s proxy……again.

Dr Evil on August 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Dr Evil on August 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM

What’s the point of responding to someone most people have never heard of?

But I sure am ready to hear him start pounding the EPA.

New EPA rule could lead to rolling blackouts in Texas, PUC chairwoman says

Knucklehead on August 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Huntsman is the canidate of choice of Team Obama.

mechkiller_k on August 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM

technopeasant on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

No dice.
Perry was elected in 2000.
Palin quit half-way through her ONLY term.
BIG difference-not that I expect you to see it.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Perry was elected in 2000.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

No he wasn’t.

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM

PhiKapMom on August 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

She completed three legislative terms. In AK that equates to 2.5 years. She quit because she had to and would rather have stayed. she had amazing legislative accomplishments before the 2008 election destroyed her chances of working with Democrats and the Alaska GOP crowed that she’d finally gotten her comeuppance.

You’re proving to be quite the cut-and-paste slimeball, PKM.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Perry was elected in 2000.
Palin quit half-way through her ONLY term.
BIG difference-not that I expect you to see it.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

If you believe longevity in office is the prime qualifier, I recommend you vote for John McCain for president. He has the most electoral experience and that is the best predictor of a winner, right? No?

Character counts. Perry is an insincere panderer. Palin backs up her words with action. Big difference–not that I expect you to see it.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2011 at 11:55 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Valient effort, but you would have as much luck reasoning with Petunia. Who incidientally also claims to be a Phi Kap mom. Someone must be spiking the punch with absinthe at their meetings.

Kataklysmic on August 20, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Palin quit half-way through her ONLY term.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Palin’s résumé:
* Sports Reporter/Anchor, KTVA-TV Anchorage/KTUU-TV Anchorage/Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman (1987 – 1992)
* Co-owner, Commercial Fishing Operation (1988 – present)
* City Council Member, City of Wasilla (1992 – 1996)
* Co-owner, Snow Machine, Watercraft, & All-Terrain Vehicle Business (1994 – 1997)
* Mayor/City Manager, City of Wasilla (1996 – 2002)
* Board Member, Alaska Municipal League (199x – 1999)
* President, Alaska Conference of Mayors (1999 – 2002)
* Chairperson, Alaska Oil & Gas Conservation Commission (2003 – 2004)
* Director, Excellence in Public Service, Inc. (2003 – 2005)
* Board Member, Valley Hospital Association (2005 – 2006)
* Governor, State of Alaska (2006 – 2009)
* Chairperson, Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission (2008 – 2009)
* Chairperson, National Governors Association Natural Resources Committee (2008 – 2009)
* Vice Presidential Nominee, Republican Party (2008)
* Founder, SarahPAC (2009 – present)
* Speaker, Washington Speakers Bureau (2009 – present)
* Author, Going Rogue: An American Life (2009)
* Contributor, Fox News Channel (2010 – present)
* Author, America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag (2010)
* Host/Executive Producer, Sarah Palin’s Alaska (2010)

* Board Member, Salvation Army * Member, Alaska Miners Association * Member, Alaska Outdoor Council * Member, American Management Association * Member, Chambers of Commerce (Various) * Member, Iditarod Parent-Teacher Association * Member, National Rifle Association * Member, Resource Development Council of Alaska * Member, Youth Court Steering Committee * Coach/Hockey Team Manager, Valley Youth Sports

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 11:59 PM

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 11:59 PM

That’s not what I heard. My Sister’s mother-in-law who knows a lot about politics and stuff told me that Palin was just a stay-at-home baby factory (who has never read a book in her life) until she won the Governorship. But then right after that she just up and quit when MTV made her a generous offer to be on Jersey Shore or something. /

Kataklysmic on August 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM

As a Texan I can tell you that Rick Perry is the establishment. He is a 4th term of the Bush/Obama presidency. He’s just playing politics pretending to be something he is not. Do not be fooled!

But you will because people blatantly predictable.

bingsha on August 21, 2011 at 12:17 AM

technopeasant on August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

wow.just.wow..:)

Dire Straits on August 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Huntsman is the exact Phantom of Obama.

They are both bloviating blue blood pretenders.

If only the world would have ignored Obama as much as she ignores Huntsman.

Schadenfreude on August 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I have said ad infinitum(my Latin isn’t the greatest)that SP is a good conservative. That fact doesn’t make her qualified to be president.
She’s more qualified than Zero-but so is an eggplant.
She also resigned her governorship when things got tough, did that reality show on TLC, the Fox gig, and gravitates toward a camera and microphone like a moth to a bug-zapper.
That doesn’t exactly scream ‘gravitas’ to me. Actually-it says that’ she’s not really presidential caliber.
Rick Perry has the stones and the xo experience to take on Zero. Palin has the former-but next to Perry she comes up short in the later. She’s a celebrity…a brand. I’m not looking to elect a ‘brand-in’chief’ or a messiah-I’m looking to elect a leader.
No more celebrities please.
Palin is a celebrity w/conservative cred.
Perry is a leader.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Perry was elected in 2000.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

No he wasn’t.

steebo77 on August 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I stand corrected. He assumed the governorship in 2000 after GWB was elected president.
Doesn’t change the fact that he still has more XO experience than Gov. Half-term…I mean Mrs. Palin.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 21, 2011 at 1:58 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 21, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Hello alt..:)

Dire Straits on August 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Huntsman was a highly iffy candidate from the first, from my perspective. This particular nonsense doesn’t do him any good. Quite the opposite. He underlines the fact that he is a lackluster candidate who is already halfway in Obama’s camp.

Why should I vote for a “Me Too” candidate when I could have the real thing, assuming, of course, that I for some reason suddenly lost my mind?

Perry isn’t perfect, while the President we now have is — a perfect failure, that is. I haven’t decided if I will vote for Perry in the primary, but if he is the nominee, he will have my vote without a second’s hesitation. I’ve had a belly full of Obama’s crack-brained policies to last a couple of lifetimes.

And Huntsman’s Obama-lite ideas hold no allure for me.

hachiban on August 21, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Is Huntsman a 0bot?

lewis1940 on August 21, 2011 at 2:31 AM

I don’t care for Huntsman. Fine, he’s a billionaire, great, good for him. But I don’t care for him.

In the last debate, there he was with his sickly, squirrely, evasive non-answer when questioned about illegal immigration. That told me more about Huntsman’s evasiveness (meaning, he’s concealing a great deal and we should all be asking, ‘why’), how he refused to address that issue.

There’s so much more about him I don’t find trustworthy, but leave it at this: I don’t heed what he says so much as I walk around what he says and he’d never have my vote, for much of anything.

Lourdes on August 21, 2011 at 8:04 AM

He’s got 1% support…

Key West Reader on August 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM

It’s a good thing that they are going to tell us who to vote for…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on August 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM

It’s for, primarily, these reasons:

1. Huntsman’s keen on “‘gay’ marriage”;

2. Huntsman’s soft on illegal immigration, ready with the excuse not to enforce called “not until we secure our borders first,” which is like offering a sieve to bail water; and,

3. Huntsman’s a wealthy Liberal.

So the media is ever-handy for Huntsman. And, because he’s been a member of Obama’s Administration, the Left media can use (and is using) that to try to bolster Obama’s failed reputation.

Lourdes on August 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM

And Huntsman’s Obama-lite ideas hold no allure for me.

hachiban on August 21, 2011 at 2:25 AM

That.

Lourdes on August 21, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Well, let Perry do an interview with Jake Tapper and counter it.

ddrintn on August 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM

^ When is Perry going to start doing some interviews, by the way?

ddrintn on August 21, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Huntsman is the epitome of an establishment RINO. Anyone remotely associated with him should be dismissed as irrelevant immediately. Why he thinks he is a viable option for president just exposes his liberalism as libs think the truth is what “they” think not what has been established as fact.

volsense on August 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

is this guy even pulling 0.2% support??

give it a rest mr. good hair man…

ted c on August 21, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Doesn’t this smack of the elitism of the “intellectual” Left? That conservatives are too simple-minded, and their solutions are crude, lack sophistication, and ignore complexity? But when Perry says he wants to make Washington DC as “inconsequential in your life as I can” … that’s what I want. I need no more seriousness than that.

Paul-Cincy on August 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Im not a Perry supporter, but I will take bets on the date that Huntsman endorses Obama for president

georgealbert on August 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Paul-Cincy on August 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Yeah, that’s nice, and at this point Perry’s pretty much my second choice. But it’s going to take a little more than one-liners.

ddrintn on August 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Why would on want to trade one effeminate know-it-all for another?

I hope the media trumpets Huntsman far and wide and that he blows all kinds of money for zero traction.

BuckeyeSam on August 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Seems to me that one might consider Huntsman not serious about finishing a job. Didn’t he “quit” being governor and “quit” being ambassador? Guess he deserves the old “quitter” meme. /s

katiejane on August 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Quoth Huntsman, tapping at his chamber door.

jaime on August 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Huntsman is an Obama / Democrat plant

Badbrucskie on August 21, 2011 at 11:25 AM

The article was about Huntsman going after Perry and it seems on most threads that the Palin people cannot help themselves but insert her into the conversation.

Rick Perry became Governor in 2001 when President Bush became the President. He ran for Governor in 2002. Prior to that he was a state rep as a Democrat from West Texas which in the 80′s was very conservative Democrat. In 1990 he ran for Ag Commissioner and won as a Republican and was reelected Ag Commissioner in 1994, elected Lt Governor in 1998, and has won three elections as Governor. Prior to that he owned a ranch in West Texas, was in the Air Force for over four years as a C-130 pilot, and is a graduate of A&M the same college he went to as a Freshman. He was member of the Corps of Cadets and a Yell Leader at A&M. He may not have had the best grades but he stuck it out and got his degree. He thoroughly enjoyed being in the Corp of Cadets and becoming a yell leader at A&M which is hard to do. You have to be personable and boistrous.

We see their yell leaders when they come to the games at Owen Field in Norman along with the Fightin’ Aggie Band who brings the home crowd to their feet during halftime. The yell leaders get their fans pumped even on the road but it is nothing compared to being at Kyle Field, the home of the 12th Man.

Now that is a snapshot of Rick Perry versus the three legislative sessions of Palin and a Mayor. Don’t forget she said if a conservative got in the race, she wouldn’t. Guess Perry and Bachmann are not conservatives.

Glad you are loyal to your candidate but someday you are going to have to take your blinders off to the fact that she doesn’t play well with a lot of voters including Republicans. You don’t quit after three legislative sessions, write a book, and tour the lower 48 and expect people to ignore that fact. To claim that equates to Rick Perry’s tenure in Texas Government and he will be a quitter if he is elected President is a joke and you do your candidate no favors.

Rick Perry would never have taken the Chair of the Republican Governor’s Association for the 2nd time if he had any inkling he was going to run for President. He is not like that.

For the people that put up a Palin/Perry ticket, you have got to be kidding. Perry wouldn’t leave being Governor to be VP to anyone — you would have the person with experience as the VP and the one who couldn’t last four years as Governor as the President. Logic fails me on that one.

Palin gives some of the worst interviews even with the puffball questions from Fox News. Why don’t you tell us what happened with the bus tour she started and quit? She knew her kids had to go to school but she started it anyway in Iowa and then to IL where she had one reporter left. It started and stopped just like that after she didn’t get enough votes in the Iowa Straw Poll to report. Neither her nor Perry were on the ballot but Rick beat Romney. What does that tell you about Palin as a candidate even in Iowa.

Don’t want to pick a fight but to list Palin’s accomplishments versus what the Governor of Texas has done is a joke. The Palin people going down this path seem have no idea about the size of Texas with the population when they equate the two plus all of his years of experience versus hers. What the Governor has been facing on the southern border with the drug cartels finally sending in the DPS with their helicopters for night flights is a drug war on the border.

The bottom line is she quit as governor to have someone ghost write a book and then tour the lower 48 selling the book. You can pretty it up all you want, but that is the bottom line. As to those frivoulous ethics complaints, she settled two of them with the state — one for claiming per diem when she was at home and the other for listing her children traveling with her as being on state business. Anyone who has filed a voucher knows that both of those are not allowed. As for her PAC she spends less than 10% on candidates and over 60% on her expenses. No other PAC I can find does that.

Thanks for allowing me to get out what I have been wanting to post for months on here.

PhiKapMom on August 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM

PhiKapMom on August 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Do I really have to combat your lies about the ethics complaints AGAIN? From the last time I refuted you:

All complaints were dismissed, save one, which was settled with no finding of wrongdoing.

All of the travel requests in question in the complaint had been authorized by the Alaska Department of Administration and approved by the non-partisan ethics supervisor. When the complaint was filed, the Personnel Board investigator was a Democrat (who was apparently feeling some pressure not to let the Palins off). Even so, he admitted that the travel guidelines were vague and circular, and that the Palins had followed the law and historical precedent in their family travel.

He asked the governor if she would hold herself to a future law that could be written to establish clearer guidelines and she consented. He presented her with a list of “questionable” (under the then unwritten law) travel expenses and offered the governor two options to resolve the case: 1) reimburse the state for eight or nine trips, or 2) present her case to the Personnel Board and wait for the board to provide clearer guidelines.

Since she was the second option as a complete waste of state time and public resources, she decided to sign a settlement that stated clearly that she had not violated any law, travel regulation, or protocol. She agreed to reimburse the state for the trips in question. One of the trips for which she reimbursed the state never actually had taken place and the state had never incurred any expense. Nevertheless, the Department of Law advised the governor to just sign the settlement and get it over with, which she did.

steebo77 on August 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM

steebo77 on August 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM

You should see the liberal blogs. They all LOVE Huntsman. They act like he is the only Republican they would vote for…

If that doesnt tell you everything you need to know right there.

Oh, and you know they would never vote for him.

Who are they trying to fool, us, or themselves.

alecj on August 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Perry is a leader. annoyinglittletwerp on August 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Of what? CAIR to tell us?

I mean, when a politician gets the Hamas endorsement…

Akzed on August 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM

HUNTSMAN is proving himself to be a definite REAGAN REPUBLICAN.

MMMMMMM, a NANCY REAGAN Republican.

PappyD61 on August 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I think it’s more like a Ron Reagan variety.

Lourdes on August 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Perry is a leader. annoyinglittletwerp on August 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Of what? CAIR to tell us?

I mean, when a politician gets the Hamas endorsement…

Akzed on August 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM

@Akzed, perhaps consider that Hamas is motivated to ruin the U.S.A. They’ll do (and have done) whatever works to accomplish that, even if it’s to undermine by *allusion* or outright *suggestion* that some American is theirs or affiliated with them by ideas, goals, etc.

Perhaps it is best to assume that whatever Hamas says and whoever they “endorse” isn’t necessarily reciprocating to Hamas but that Hamas is expecting to demean by suggestion of association, not actual association.

Lourdes on August 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM

steebo77 on August 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM

steebo, I implore you, save your breath on that ABPbot.

She/he/it REEKS of concern troll. Just let it post it’s blather.

Nobody (except her fellow ABPbots) are listening to that sh!t anymore.

“She quit!” has become the new race card and these tools wore it out a looooong time ago.

SuperCool on August 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Huntsman might get some traction if he could manage to say the same sort of thing about Obama that he says about other Republicans.

A Balrog of Morgoth on August 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM

A Balrog of Morgoth on August 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM

And who does THIS remind you of? McCain had his numbers, the media wanted McCain. Huntsman is going to be the media’s chosen boy, not Romney. Huntsman VS. Perry. I’d put money down.

Marcus on August 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

HUNTSMAN is proving himself to be a definite REAGAN REPUBLICAN.

MMMMMMM, a NANCY REAGAN Republican.

PappyD61 on August 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Naw he’s a Ron Reagan Jr republican.

Don L on August 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM

This Huntsman guy makes Romney looks like Reagan.

haner on August 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Huntsman thinks acting like sarcastic dickweed makes him look mavericky. That barely works when you are a national war hero former POW,and not at all if you are a spoiled brat kid of a beezilianaire.

borntoraisehogs on August 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM

You can choose between “being serious” and “being taken seriously”. Huntsman chose poorly.

Extrafishy on August 22, 2011 at 5:35 AM

The guy’s a Soros funded mole….

adamsmith on August 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM

The LSM giving anyone having an (R) after the name is suspicious.

TimBuk3 on August 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Huntsman would not make a pimple on a conservitives ass.

TomLawler on August 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Hey Huntsman, do something interesting. Ride a motorbike or something!

Nobody wants to hear your mildly critical remarks about other candidates.

virgo on August 24, 2011 at 3:19 AM