Rangel to Ingraham: O’Reilly told me he had a secret weapon, didn’t say it was “just a pretty girl”

posted at 5:25 pm on August 19, 2011 by Tina Korbe

For whatever reason, Laura Ingraham fields more than her fair share of sexist remarks. Remember the Ed Schultz episode? Charlie Rangel wasn’t quite so tasteless in this clip, but his off-the-cuff comments still come across as cheap and classless.

Last night on “The O’Reilly Factor,” Ingraham served as the substitute host and grilled Rangel about the unwillingness of the president and Congress to take any responsibility for the present economic situation.

“You had a Democratic house, a filibuster-proof Senate and the White House in Democratic hands, OK? You had that for the first two years. Can’t blame Republicans for those two years — or can you?” she begins.

“We can say what the man inherited if you would permit me to say it,” Rangel responds.

Ingraham doubles down. “Those two years you were fully in charge, no Republican House. Did it work out?”

Rangel evades: “We had a deficit, we had two wars that we shouldn’t have been in.”

“OK. It’s Bush’s fault,” Ingraham quips.

Rangel, obviously at a loss, reaches for the club he should have just left in the bag (we’ll call it the “sexist iron”).

“Let me say this,” he says. “Bill O’Reilly told me he had a secret weapon. I didn’t know it was just a pretty girl that he would bring in here.”

But Ingraham doesn’t bat an eyelash. She just calls him out on it. “That’s very condescending, sir. Quite condescending. A pretty girl? These are serious questions. There is an ideological battle going on.”

Rangel tries to regain control of the conversation, but he’s completely lost it. “You have asked me 50 questions and I’m begging you, I’m begging you, I’m begging, I’m begging you — even while we wait now, the president’s on vacation and we’re waiting for the jobs program … We have a half a dozen bills that we had brought out.”

But he doesn’t say what the Democrats’ job creation or deficit-busting plans consist of, couldn’t answer any of the questions with which Ingraham peppers him — until, finally, at the end of the clip, he concedes at least one point.

“Has Obama worked for the inner city?” she asks.

“No,” Rangel answers. “No one has.”

Ingraham proves the power of a persistent line of questioning. Turns out O’Reilly’s secret weapon is not just a pretty girl — she’s a true professional capable of flustering even the most impervious of politicians (and Rangel, who has managed to hold on to his scandal-plagued seat through thick and thin, definitely qualifies as “impervious”).

The exchange comes at about :34 seconds into the clip (but the first part, in which Ingraham takes a Democratic strategist to task for blaming the Tea Party for the disappointing debt deal, is worth watching, too).

Comments

Take no prisoners Laura!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katfish on August 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Rangel is a turd.

Ingraham should have instantly stopped talking…given Rangel a long hard stare…and then reached over and slapped him. Hard.

Bishop on August 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

O’reilly brought in a pretty girl with an IQ about 100 points higher than Rangels.

AndrewsDad on August 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I think he said “Petty girl” not “Pretty Girl”.

portlandon on August 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

cholly is chock full of excuses…no answers.

Nice work Laura. Game, set, match—booya

ted c on August 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hear that inner city?

No. He hasn’t worked for you, he doesn’t work for you, he won’t work for you. He just expects your unquestioning loyalty and votes.

How’s that workin’ out for ya….?

ted c on August 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

AndrewsDad on August 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Right on.

mikeyboss on August 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM

O’reilly brought in a pretty girl with an IQ about 100 points higher than Rangels O’Reilly’s.

AndrewsDad on August 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

phreshone on August 19, 2011 at 5:37 PM

That 2nd hour of Shep is in need of an upgrade.

Give Shep 2 hours (they just paid him a bundle, I don’t see FNC reducing his workload) from 3-5, Cavuto at 5 (he can rearrange at FBN too if need be) Bret should remain at 6 and the wonderfully talented Ms. Ingraham at 7. A killer lineup goes mega-killer.

BKeyser on August 19, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Hear that inner city?

How’s that workin’ out for ya….?

ted c on August 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Inner City: ‘Working just fine.”

catmman on August 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Isn’t “Ingram” a brand of weapon?

Count to 10 on August 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Not shown in that clip, but I liked her comments right at the end of the interview about Rangel’s Dominican Republic Condo…

d1carter on August 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Rangel is an inept fool. I watched last night and enjoyed every squirm from the tax-dodging weasel.

Hey Charlie! Where’s your patriotism?

GarandFan on August 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I think he said “Petty girl” not “Pretty Girl”.

portlandon on August 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Oh, that’s much better.

mankai on August 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Laura is very pretty, but she is also a very tough interviewer.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

No wonder I say my yes’ems and no’ems to the mrs.

This is why all the vitrol is spit at Michelle, and Sarah…it is because they don’t bat an eye when they tell you to get the hell up and tackle your chores as they rip the nintendo out of the tv sockets.

Limerick on August 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Rangel is a turd.

Bishop on August 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I would have paid frickin cash to see that.

WitchDoctor on August 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM

What is she referring to in the end about Rangel and the Condo?

Oil Can on August 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Well, when you run around acting as Keith Olbermann’s beard, you run that risk.

JohnGalt23 on August 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Charlie Rangel will be re-elected in 2012.

SlaveDog on August 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

JohnGalt23 on August 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

The the most classless comment on HA….EVAH.

Limerick on August 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM

And NOW will put their arms around this pig.

itsspideyman on August 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I would not have the patience Laura demonstrated in that interview, I admire her.

Rangel is the poster boy for corrupt politicians, donning $5,000 suits, rolex watches, sedan devilles (leased through his office), Dominican hideaways, ghost rent on Harlem condo’s and apartments all the while “speechifying” to Harlem constituents how Whitey is keeping them down. He’s a soulless and a-moral a** and his own people should want to string him up.

Tim Zank on August 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

EPIC!

Kini on August 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM

JohnGalt23 on August 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

The the most classless comment on HA….EVAH.

Limerick on August 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Don’t know about ever, but it’s near the top of the list.

SlaveDog on August 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I like Laura much, much more tha O’Reilly who tries to play the middle way too much.

Great job Laura.

darwin on August 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Isn’t “Ingram” a brand of weapon?

Count to 10 on August 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Brit WWII submachine gun type. Believe it fired a .380 or 9mm and had a fairly high rate of fire.

a capella on August 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Meh- maybe it’s just me, but calling a woman a “pretty girl” is really that offensive?

I watched that segment on Fox and it struck me as false indignation from someone who has plenty of experience dishing it out.

Rangel is a fool, but do we really want to legitimize the humorless PC “I’m offended by everything” standard?

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

The real lesson for Laura in this is the limit of her professional relationship with O’Reilly. For whatever reason (maybe it’s a New York thing), O’Reilly is chummy with filth like Rangel and Sharpton, thus their appearances on the Factor. (How many times has she dealt with these cretins on her radio show?)

Yes, Laura handled herself well. Anyone surprised by this simply doesn’t know Laura Ingraham. But listen to what Rangel said: O’Reilly said he had a “secret weapon.” It’s not a stretch to think that Rangel’s condescension is echoed somewhat by O’Reilly’s.

I also think he had a little to much influence on Laura during the debt debate. Remember how he came down on the Tea Party on several episodes? In one particular episode he chastized Laura, practically preventing her from speaking. A week later, Laura was critical of tea partiers (of course, not to the degree of O’Reilly).

She needs to watch her flank in dealing with O’Reilly.

EMD on August 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM

a capella on August 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Close- you’re thinking of the MAC-10 and MAC-11 submachineguns. Both came well after WWII. The Brits mostly used the utterly cheap and ugly Sten, though I believe they had a better one that didn’t see as much use.

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM

a capella on August 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Just clearing the record. I was mostly wrong.

a capella on August 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM

When Rangel was trapped, I thought he was just trying to charm his way out of giving the honest answer, in a way that he has probably gotten away with for too many decades.

I don’t think that was fake indignation on her part. I think she was just trying to reframe the situation to stop Rangel from twisting out of it by changing the subject. When I turned the tv on and saw the two of them facing each other, I wondered why Rangel would go into a lion’s den, with an indefensible nonexistent Obama economic plan. Maybe its just ego.

redeye on August 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM

just a pretty girl

So… if he’d'a tossed out the ‘b’ word there… he’d'a been speakin from his nasty little heart. You know he wanted to…

RalphyBoy on August 19, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Old fool no doubt calls all women ‘honey’ or ‘sweetie’. Sorry Charlie, but your ‘charm’ ain’t working.

BHO Jonestown on August 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I hope O’Reilly was watching that interview, he could have learned a few things. She was relentless, left him begging for mercy. Great job, Laura!

PatMac on August 19, 2011 at 6:20 PM

O’Reilly will not ask her to sub for him again! Laura insulted his friend Charlie.

IowaWoman on August 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

She didn’t say she was offended. As a matter of fact, at the end of the interview I believe she thank him for calling her pretty.

What she said (and she was dead on) was that the comment was condescending. He was trying to dismiss her point blank questions as being less important because they came from a pretty girl.

dirtseller on August 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Great job Laura.

darwin on August 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM

The only time I ever watch O’Reilly’s show is when Laura or another substitute is hosting, and she’s my favorite. So, you might say I’m ABO in more ways than one.

TXUS on August 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Day-amn….that was enjoyable.

Mallard T. Drake on August 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

What “false indignation” was that on her part? An exact quote would be nice.

Del Dolemonte on August 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Being neither a girl nor pretty, I can only surmise that the offensive part was “just”.

Let’s turn it around. If I were to say that “O’Reilly wanted to present a serious debate, but the Democrat was just a black man”… is that offensive, or no?

malclave on August 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM

This is one of the leaders, the brightest of the democrats…this is how far down the tubes the dems have gone, and this is how far dems will go to stay in power.
Amazing…and yes, Rangel will always be elected.
…and people wonder where the stereotypes come from…

right2bright on August 19, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Your post surprises no one…it would take some intellect and discernment to understand what transpired.
I can see how you would be confused and not offended…what happened doesn’t fit on a bumper sticker.

right2bright on August 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Hey, he used the same line on Andy Vanderbilt last week!

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM

O’Reilly and Rangel are both gutless, over the hill blowhards.
Ingraham rocks.

teacherman on August 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Hollowpoint Laura handled that foolishness very well. She simply said it was condescending and she did not harp on it . In fact she dealt with it like it should be done.

CW on August 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Ingraham rocks.

teacherman on August 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM

She can tear it up. I think I will show my daughter that clip. Hell I will make sure my sons do too.

CW on August 19, 2011 at 6:51 PM

teacherman on August 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM

It is a compliment. It is what she reduces them to, they cannot play at her level so their baseless nature takes over. I’m surprised she gets people to interview. They know they are going to get roasted or they underestimate her. When they underestimate her is when they are more likely to act sexist, just a guess.

Theworldisnotenough on August 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Wow, she’s a great interviewer. Fox News should give her the 5pm show.

Lawdawg86 on August 19, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I don’t always agree with Ingraham, but anyone dismissing her as “just a pretty girl” is asking for it.

didymus on August 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I, for one, enjoy watching members of the political ideology that turned the phrase, “You look nice today.” into a hate crime hoisted upon their own petards.

The hypocrisy is schadenfreudelicious, even if they never get called on it by the very groups that purport to champion “victims” of such rhetoric.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Wow, she’s a great interviewer. Fox News should give her the 5pm show.

Lawdawg86 on August 19, 2011 at 7:27 PM

She actually does a nice job and does it respectfully (most of the time).

CW on August 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Great job Laura.

darwin on August 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM

O’Wrongly doesn’t only try to play the middle, he pretends that wherever he comes down on a topic is the dead center, and that any opinion more than one inch to his left or his right is NUTBAG EXTREME.

Can’t stand him. Laura, on the other hand, throws down with the best of interviewers.

Freelancer on August 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM

She is pretty, but it was still condescending for Mr. Rangel to call her a “girl” — she’s a grown woman of 47.

Imagine if she’d been Laurence Ingraham and he’d called her a “boy”?

Mary in LA on August 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

malclave on August 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Or, even more anaolous… how about “just a black BOY”.

Chitownmom on August 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

The only reason to put the criminal, Wrangle, on is the beauty of watching him stick his and Obama’s head up his posterior.

proconstitution on August 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

JohnGalt23 on August 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

The the most classless comment on HA….EVAH.

Limerick on August 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM

He had # 2 & 3, too.

itsnotaboutme on August 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM

So nice that FOX has this CRIMINAL on…

Did Laura ask about his taxes?

We are easily impressed by shiny things.

deedtrader on August 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Nice work Laura.

I Thank All who continue to Shine the Light on these bugs and let the world see who they are.

bridgetown on August 19, 2011 at 9:55 PM

If Laura comes on as filling in for the over puffed osmiley I watch it, otherwise I look for a ball game.

wepeople on August 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I almost feel sorry for that crook the way he ran his nose right into the band saw while he was sitting on a running table saw. She had him coming and going.

{^_^}

herself on August 20, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Pretty lady but a mighty big intellect and can’t be “snowed”.

Herb on August 20, 2011 at 9:45 AM

CW on August 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Bingo. If she had said “sexist” she would have lost the point.

She simply pointed out that his pathetically transparent attempt at boyish charm — floated in order to try to change the trajectory of the discussion — had failed. And then she reminded him that it was a serious question, and that it was still on the table.

Trochilus on August 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM

After watching that segment it becomes even MORE painfully obvious how lacking Oreilly’s interviewing skills actually are.
Laura consistently stayed on point and was very adept at the re-direct to get BACK on point and effectively stymied Rangels standard politically canned non answer rambling. As for the “pretty girl” statement, I think Laura enjoyed the opportunity show indignation and highlight the classless fool for who he is.

Koa on August 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM

He is a slime bag.

tx2654 on August 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I wonder how many of Charlie’s constituents can afford a $2000.00 suit complete with silk bow tie?

psychocyber on August 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Well, she IS a pretty girl. Pretty damn smart!

conservativecaveman on August 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM