Levin: Palin will run for president

posted at 2:45 pm on August 19, 2011 by Tina Korbe

The speculation about who might yet grow the 2012 Republican presidential field continues and radio host Mark Levin yesterday laid down his marker with a firm prediction that former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will, in fact, run for president. The Daily Caller has more:

Although conservative talker Mark Levin says he has no insider knowledge of Sarah Palin’s 2012 presidential aspirations, he claimed at the top of his Thursday radio show he believes that the former Alaska Governor will be a candidate. …

“Look, I could be dead wrong,” Levin said. “I have no inside information. But I want to underscore what I’ve been saying, which is I believe Sarah Palin will run for president. Just want to put my marker down because others are starting to do it and I put it down quite some time ago.”

At this point, it’s anyone’s guess what the final crop of candidates will look like, but Levin is not alone in his speculation. Karl Rove recently suggested the same and Palin herself, of course, said Thursday on Fox News that she is still open to a run. And as Ed has explained, Palin is the most plausible possibility among the several that have lately been bandied about — in that she has maintained her national following and would be able to organize and fundraise quickly. My hunch has always been that she won’t — but, unlike Levin who has actually interviewed the governor, the closest I’ve ever come to an actual conversation with Palin is a 45-minute wild goose chase at the Iowa State Fair.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

unseen on August 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM

High octane campaign ad. I know I’m not the only one that got goosebumps watching it.

RepubChica on August 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Perry grooming Palin for a POTUS run later? Hilarious. The guy who needed her endorsement and energy to keep him afloat in Texas?

promachus on August 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I don’t know how long Perry was seriously considering a run, but it certainly wasn’t 3 years. I haven’t heard that Christy or Ryan is serious, in fact, Ryan says he’s not considering it and Christy says rumors of him investigating a run are false.

scalleywag on August 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Tina, what is with this “laying his marker down” stuff?

Mark Levin wrote this in The Corner on July 3, 2009:

Palin is running for president, get used to it.

That’s it. His entire post.

He didn’t say this yesterday to “lay down his marker.” He already did that over 2 years ago.

Catch up sometime on Levin and the Palin candidacy, will you? I know you are annoyed with this “wild goose chase” you think she’s leading everyone on, but your ignorance is showing.

Missy on August 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM

And I don’t have a preferred candidate at this point, I’m still learning. I know who I don’t want for president, and that’s Romney or Bachmann. I kind of wish Jindahl would run, but I think he said definitely not. If Palin were to somehow get the nomination I’d vote for her. Perry seems strong at this point but I’m still learning about him.

scalleywag on August 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM

But how has Palin changed hers?

changer1701 on August 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

polls showed her negatives going form 65pts to 52pts with her bus tour and release of her 24,000 emails. her interviews over the summer have been spot on and her command of the issues have increased her positiives. the movie has changed the preception somewhat wihtin the media which was the target audience to the point that newsweek and CNN have given her positive press. by stayign somewhat out of the spotlight highlighting American vaulues and resotration and keeping her name in the mix but not sucking up all the O2 the “hate” on the left has been mutes and changed form one candidate to the next over the cours eof the summer. The increase of the other candidates negatives have made hers not seem as important.

unseen on August 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM

your ignorance is showing.

Missy on August 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That was a little uncalled for Missy

scalleywag on August 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I don’t care, she can’t win but she can match Ron Paul with her fanatic followers, might be fun to have her in.

cartooner on August 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM

She’ll have my vote…

Karmi on August 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM

If Sarah Palin Isn’t Running for President, Why Is She Releasing This Iowa Video?

And everyone who had previously concluded that Palin is not running in 2012 — I among them — must now ask themselves: Why is she making a such a big deal about her Iowa trip? And, while we’re asking that question, why is she giving a speech at a Sept. 3 Tea Party rally in Waukee, Iowa? Given the current large field of GOP candidates, what percentage of the vote would Palin need to win Iowa caucus Feb. 6?

These questions seem to multiply, the more I think about it. For example, if Palin used her Sept. 3 speech at Waukee to declare herself a candidate, would that secure here an invitation to the Sept. 7 Simi Valley debate? Or the Sept. 12 Tampa debate?

unseen on August 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM

As a Perry fan, your claims are suspect. Her numbers are low because many in the GOP think she’s not running even though her favorables are highest in the party. If she’s taken as a caricature why does she have such high favorables in GOP and with GOP leaning indies?

promachus on August 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I didn’t say anything about her poll numbers, and I wouldn’t expect conservatives to buy into the caricature. If that’s all who would be voting in ’12, great. But it’s not.

And I’m leaning toward Perry…I haven’t exactly ordered the t-shirts and bumper stickers.

changer1701 on August 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM

There’s one other small problem that Sarah will ignore.

She does NOT need to run against anybody but D’rats.

Not even teh Won. She campaigns against six years of D’rat rule and comes out on the high road. An occasional nod to Perry or Mittens or whomever but Regen’s Eleventh commandment still works. She campaigns for Constitution, small government and low taxes. She campaigns FOR the good parts and is always positive. D’rats cannot touch that. Their negatives shout their failure and their smears must be a personal attack. Against a positive, humored presentation, D’rats cannot succeed. She has already shown her ability and it comes from a personal belief not message.

Keep playing games LSM.

Mammy Yokum had it right, “Good is better’n evil ’cause it’s nicer.”

Caststeel on August 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I cannot imagine her losing the primary. I see no way for her to win the general. She gets in and Obama has two terms.
anuts on August 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM

This kind if stupidity really amazes me… are you so ignorant and incurious that you don’t read the news or so blind you can’t see the biggest loser POTUS in the USA. I’d bet that without massive vote fraud Obama gets wiped off the electoral landscape forever!

Barack Hussein Obama will lose big time because even moochers know that they need actual producers to mooch off of…

CCRWM on August 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Not sure why anyone would believe that Palin cannot win at this point in time given that according to Rasmussen in July, she was within single digits of Obama; and awhile before his approval numbers dropped to 40%.

New Rasmussen poll:

These data points are NOT available unless you are a Rasmussen platinum member:

Based on the head to head poll showing Obama at 47% and Palin at 38%:

1) Palin leads Obama 40-38 among INDEPENDENTS.

2) Palin wins a higher percentage of males against Obama than any other GOP candidate.

3) Palin wins the same percentage of COLLEGE GRADUATES against Obama as Mitt Romney does against Obama.

4) Around 7 times as many Republicans have NOT made a decision between Palin and Obama as the number of Democrats who have not made a decision between the two.

Seven national surveys of 1,000 Likely Voters each were conducted June24-July 17, 2011 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error for each survey is +/- 3% with a 95% level of confidence.

Before the Rasmussen poll above, there was the PPP (which leans Democrat as a pollster) poll this past May in Ohio, with these results.

PPP Poll numbers from “the” vital swing state of Ohio.

Independents in Ohio:

Palin 43%
Obama 42%
Undecided 15%

Overall in Ohio:

Obama 50%
Palin 40%

This may be the reason the Democratic and Republican establishment is worried about Governor Palin.

PPP surveyed 565 Ohio voters from May 19th to 22nd. The margin of error for the survey is +/-4.1%.

Note: PPP oversampled Democrats by 10%. Thus Palin is tied or ahead of Obama in the overall poll numbers based upon 2010 and 2008 Ohio election ratios of Democrats, Republicans, and Independents.

Link is below. Independent data is on page 12.

Palin is a contender; and assuming Palin runs, this is shaping up as a 3-way race between Romney, Perry, and Palin – any one of whom could beat Obama today.

SheetAnchor on August 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Missy on August 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Why so hard on Tina? I am a Palin fan the post did not bother me. Levin said he was laying his marker down. What, she is not supposed to write what he said? I too went on a wild goose chase that day. I also came up empty. I was not upset with Sarah because of it.

IowaWoman on August 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM

New Palin thread up…

The campaign ad, video.

idesign on August 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

The so called “media” is a shadow of it’s former self. Most people are getting their news from alternate sources.

Welcome to the new age of communication…

idesign on August 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Wow. You are as informative and insightful as ever.

But, you know, it is on this one point that I agree with the President… People tend to gravitate to the “alternative sources” that tell them what they want to hear, such as the litany of pro-Palin sources you cited earlier.

This is likely why the Palin supporters in these thread refuse to hear or admit that most independents share a very dim view of her. (For the record, I very much support her values, and her as an individual.)

If she cannot gain the support of independents, much less garner a plurality of conservatives, she cannot win the general election.

And all the wishcasting in the world won’t change that.

Y’all have a very nice weekend!

Droopy on August 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

The great one has spoken, Game Øn.

Jayrae on August 19, 2011 at 4:50 PM

CCRWM on August 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Massive vote fraud is what scares me.

Whoever wins the GOP primary, I hope all HAers will volunteer to:
- Work the polls
- Be election watchers
- Bring cameras to document Democrat voter intimidation attempts
- Whatever it takes to keep Obama’s goons from stealing the election

I know I intend to do just that. I’ve already signed up as an election worker in my precinct.

I say again: Those of you who have said you won’t vote in the general election if your candidate doesn’t win the primary, will you at least get on board with helping keep the election honest in 2012?

Mary in LA on August 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM

unseen re 4:40. It’s true…I can’t imagine producing such a Grade A professional sharp feature ad like “Iowa Passion” if you haven’t already set up a crack team to sell you to the future Iowan caucus-goers. She seems to have a campaign apparatus in place, and their work, documenting her travels and meetings with Americans the last few months, is very impressive. These aren’t amateurs working for her.

RepubChica on August 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM

IowaWoman on August 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Yes, he said he was putting down his marker, but he also said he “put it down some time ago.” One could look up what he said previously rather than reporting it as if it was the first time he’d made a prediction.

Maybe I am being harsh, but Tina’s Palin stories seem to have one major theme, which is that Tina thinks Sarah is leading us all down the garden path. Fine, but unfortunately, the provided analysis also has the feel of a junior reporter who doesn’t know what plays were run before she came off the bench in the 3rd quarter. So why trust that analysis?

Missy on August 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM

New Palin thread up…

The campaign ad, video.

idesign on August 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

three in a day? great! i needed a break form All Perry all the time.

unseen on August 19, 2011 at 4:55 PM

CCRWM on August 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I’d wager that if Palin gets in, wins nomination, she will carry Texas with fewer percentage points than McCain in 2008.

anuts on August 19, 2011 at 4:55 PM

RepubChica on August 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM

and there is alot more video of the two legs of her bus tour avialable for more awesome ads. One think people did not think about for a reason on why she did the bus tour was campaign comerical fodder to be used.

Her campaign has hours upon hours of Palin at natial monuments and historic sites with everyday people without a media filter (since they wer ein the chase vechiles)

Webads and possible TV as in the making.

unseen on August 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Let’s see…

CBS has picked up the video:

ABC has picked it up:

Wall Street Journal:

New York Times:

Mediaite:

Etc., etc., etc. All this within a couple hours.

Two points:

1. Who else out there can generate this level of buzz and interest?

2. Who else is getting this kind of coverage for so little money spent?

3. Who else can exploit the new media the way she can?

OnlyOrange on August 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

The DC correspondent for the UK Telegraph reports that Palin has been “livid” about all the attention Bachmann has been getting, and that she has “soured” on Perry.

Plain and simple, like all celebrities (including POTUS), she’s an attention wh*re, so, yes, she will run.

But she and all her “balance the doggone budget” country bumpkinisms will not play with the greater US. The Republicans have a real chance to beat Obama, but not with Palin (or Bachmann), and the Party knows it will be a laughingstock if Palin is its nominee. Someone will likely run third party. Either way, Obama wins.

He is salivating for Palin as his opponent. She will be destroyed at some point in the process, so run, Sarah, run! I’m sick of you and your cult of idol worshippers, and like most of the country, want you gone from the political landscape. Hopefully forever.

Meredith on August 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Palin hasn’t had a major gaffe in years. The closest she has come is the revere think where the historians agreed with Palin.

Unseen

Wow, another Palin cult member misleading about something. It must be a day that ends with a y.

xblade on August 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM

xblade on August 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM

a PDSers telling lies? must be a day ending in y

unseen on August 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Two points:

1. Who else out there can generate this level of buzz and interest?

2. Who else is getting this kind of coverage for so little money spent?

3. Who else can exploit the new media the way she can?

OnlyOrange on August 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Actually three points, but three good ones. :)

Here’s another thing: as seen in the NE bus tour, they *have* to cover her. The media must mediate. If they don’t, she goes straight to the people and they don’t like it when that happens. And they lose the huge ratings that she brings.

We also saw on the bus tour that she answered questions tirelessly, which resulted in some pretty fair coverage from some surprising places. She rewards that with more access.

Missy on August 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Speculation is always a waste of time. I think Palin is the most qualified possible candidate being discussed. She is always right on the issues and she would make a good president. She has all the things that Obama lacks. That is, executive experience, education not at an ivy league school and a brain. I hope she runs.

duff65 on August 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Good grief. At this point I could care less if she runs or not, I’m tired of all this will she or won’t she.
scalleywag on August 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM

You’re so full of it… You have never supported her yet you act like you’re mad she hasn’t gotten in. We know all the concern trolls around here so you’re just foolin’ a few if even… We Palinistas can and will wait until Palin announces… We trust her judgement that much…

CCRWM on August 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Massive vote fraud is what scares me.
Whoever wins the GOP primary, I hope all HAers will volunteer to:
- Work the polls
- Be election watchers
- Bring cameras to document Democrat voter intimidation attempts
- Whatever it takes to keep Obama’s goons from stealing the election
Mary in LA on August 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM

This is how Reid won but the state went Red… We have got to stop it and so this is what my TEA Party group is goi g to make a high priority … All of us have to!

CCRWM on August 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Missy on August 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I find her to be young and inexperienced so yes her analysis is lacking but I think she will improve with time and experience.

CCRWM on August 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Caststeel on August 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Brilliant. It’s the politics of conviction and joy. Untouchable. It’s why they’re all so scared.

rrpjr on August 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM

anuts on August 19, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I’ll take that bet for a $1000

wheelgun on August 19, 2011 at 6:13 PM

anuts on August 19, 2011 at 4:55 PM

even if she did she still carries TX so what is your point?

unseen on August 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Used to be a fan. Have empathy for what she faced with the McCain Campaign and the aftermath, but she is out of it. Her backing Orrin Hatch proves to me she doesn’t deserve to be called a conservative or a Tea Party favorite. Hatch epitomizes what is wrong with politics. He talks a good game and votes the other way when he’s in D.C.

tomshup on August 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Meredith on August 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

It’s Meredith the Militant Moderate, so down the middle with anger and hatred.

I wonder where this DC correspondent for a British newspaper got his information about what Palin is thinking?

I guess it doesn’t really matter to you, as long as it fits your seething rage at Sarah Palin.

I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

Sheesh.

Brian1972 on August 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Too late.

Run for McCain’s senate seat in AZ, Sarah.

Build some political cred with national accomplishmentss and let the caricatures fade.

Then run.

profitsbeard on August 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

profitsbeard on August 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Not too late.

Michigan primary filing deadline is Oct 14.

Then, it’s too late.

She has said she has never considered running for Senate in Arizona.

I don’t believe she will run for Senate from Alaska, either.

I believe she’s going to get into this primary.

Brian1972 on August 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I kind of wish Jindahl would run

scalleywag on August 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Whatever happens this go round, Jindal and/or Rubio will be president someday, that’s for sure.

ddrintn on August 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Yay. Another “fiscal conservative” who supports the endless wars entering the race. As if there aren’t already enough neocons running.

popularpeoplesfront on August 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM

It does involve deep-fried butter …

Ed Morrissey on August 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Stef Murkey, is that you?

didymus on August 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM

And all the wishcasting in the world won’t change that.

Droopy on August 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Even if she gets in, this is Rick Perry’s nomination to lose. However, if she does win the nomination, she absolutely WILL win against Hopey Dopey. You’ve got to keep in your calculation just who the donks are putting out there as their standard bearer. This ain’t 2008 any longer. He IS going to lose to whomever he is up against.

You’ve been drinking the NPR wishcasting KoolAid a little too much there Droop.

starman on August 20, 2011 at 8:26 AM