Video: Can you tell real government spending from fake?

posted at 10:45 am on August 17, 2011 by Tina Korbe

From the people who brought you “Washington Honey Badgers” …

Public Notice continues its popular and effective “Bankrupting America” video series with this production, “Real or Fake 2: Can you tell which of these examples are true?” What our federal government deems worthy of subsidization might surprise even the most cynical taxpayer.

The last example is my personal favorite. If that stat doesn’t reveal just what a sea change President Obama’s administration has been, I don’t know what does. Yes, federal spending has gone up and up and up under Democrat and Republican presidents alike, but never before at such a pace as under this president. No wonder hard-working, taxpaying Americans (Tea Partiers among them) have expressed outrage and disappointment with Washington.

Comments

“Wish we could do something about it”.

Well my friend, you can do something about it.

Bishop on August 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

“I wish we could do something about it”???

Oh, boy, we’re screwed.

Socratease on August 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The Tea Partiers are the only ones attempting “to do something about it,” and they are vilified by almost everyone else.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

This video = terrorism.

Good Lt on August 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Bishop on August 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Socratease on August 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

So it wasn’t just me who face palmed when he said that.

NotCoach on August 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM

No wonder hard-working, taxpaying Americans (Tea Partiers foremost among them) have expressed outrage and disappointment with Washington.

FIFY

Extrafishy on August 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM

“Wish we could do something about it”.

Well, the one guys answer was move to Canada.

We really are screwed.

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I wonder if this type of leadership is why D.C. is so screwed up. Guess who is top dog at Miami. Remember Donna Shalala?

a capella on August 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM

The mother and daughter had no idea the taxpayers foot the bill for the Newport Beach lifeguard salaries of $100,000.

No idea.

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM

This video = terrorism.
Good Lt on August 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM

That statement is almost treasonous.

tommyboy on August 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM

“I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your President.”

I’d love to hear those words spoken again…

PatriotRider on August 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM

We really are screwed.

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Disturbingly troublesome that their eyes lit up at the thought of getting their cut of Obama-stash-cash working the lifeguard racket.

Some are trying to do something about it, they’re being called terrorists for their trouble, but they’re doing something about it none-the-less.

Southern by choice22 on August 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I’d love to hear those words spoken again…

PatriotRider on August 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM

While that’s an admirable wish that I would wholeheartedly endorse there’s something else I’d love to hear.

“You’re not going to have Barack to kick around anymore.” As he boards Marine One for a last flight and Joe Plugs is being sworn in.

Oldnuke on August 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Do something about it? These are the same people who disapprove of Tea Parties in polls. People don’t want to do something, they want hope and change and Skittle pooping unicorns to fix it for them.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I’d love to hear those words spoken again…

PatriotRider on August 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Either that or the phrase: I shall resign effective at noon tomorrow.

Memo to Barry O’bumbler: Gross incompetence ain’t no way to go through life son.

Southern by choice22 on August 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM

repvoter on August 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

…they want hope and change and Skittle pooping unicorns to fix it for them.

Please, don’t even tell me that’s where Skittles come from. I know that’s where the current administration economic policies are coming from, but tell me NOT SKITTLES!!!

dirtseller on August 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

TK

Agreed, but the really painful part was two of the four parties on the video said the same thing: “Glad I don’t have any kids.”

A brutal look at the fall of America, the greatest place ever to raise a family.

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

What really bothers me about this is that these people laugh, LAUGH!, as if this if funny.

They should get PO’d. Angry and looking for how to stop this insanity.

And then the guy says, “I wish we could do something about it”

I nearly threw something at the computer.

Why aren’t the Republicans running ads featuring this kind of FRAUD at taxpayers expense?

Jvette on August 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Either that or the phrase: I shall resign effective at noon tomorrow Today

Southern by choice22 on August 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM

FTFY

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Jvette on August 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Because the RINOs are just as guilty at wasting our money.

Mangy Scot on August 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Dana Perrino says this video is inappropriate.

SouthernGent on August 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Don’t need to fix that. He is quoting Nixon’s resignation speech. I’d like a redux of that as well…

Freelancer on August 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Does anyone here think you couldn’t do the same thing for private spending? Between wacky-sounding private research, corporations spending money on what seems wasteful (and often outrages stockholders), and similar things, I’m pretty sure you could do the same thing.

Yes, I know when it’s government doing the spending it’s worse because the taxpayer is paying and it’s not some private entity making a decision to potentially waste their money. But my point is, (a) some things sound silly but end up being useful, at least on aggregate, and (b) this isn’t really evidence that government spending is less efficient than private spending (not saying it’s not true, just that this isn’t good evidence for it).

tneloms on August 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Either that or the phrase: I shall resign have resigned effective at noon tomorrow Today… yesterday.

Southern by choice22 on August 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM

FTFY

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

FTFY

TallDave on August 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM

This video is lame. Plus, it gets a bit disingenuous.

For example: Newport Beach lifeguards are not Federal Government employees. They’re not even state employees. They’re employees of the City of Newport Beach. Newport Beach is an extremely wealthy densely populated community on the coast of Southern California. By extremely wealthy I mean multi-millionaires… lots of them. The Median Income is over $200,000. The Median Value for Homes there is over $1,000,000. If anyone should be outraged by the City of Newport Beach’s salary and pension benefits for lifeguards, it should be the vastly affluent residents of Newport Beach. Period. And they’re not squawking as far as I could determine.

So the federal government spent $500k studying shrimp on treadmills. How long ago was it that they spent millions of dollars studying the effect of cow farts on the ozone? No mention of that though. Or that they spent $35k per ashtray for some federal government planes? No mention there either. The list is huge. There are sooo many more examples that are much better and definitely relevant they could have asked about.

The only valid point that video makes is the trillions in debt in less than a year. Everyone who doesn’t live in a cave in the Appalachians already knows about that I would imagine.

FlatFoot on August 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I wonder why there isn’t a true or false question going something like “the top 10% of the population have been receiving numerous tax cuts while more and more of the wealth finds it’s way up there due to increasing compensation on the high end and decreasing compensation on the low end.”

Oh, I forgot, pointing out how the wealthy have been making out like bandits goes against the narrative.

Rainsford on August 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM

So no one understands that BarryO, the Anointed One, is going to make it all warm and fuzzy, Fix the Eeconomy with a laser focus on jobs, stop the Rise of the Seas with Green Mandates, bring Peace so that our troops can return home to their families, and Improve our Foreign Relations that were so atatter?

He said so. Many times. And the MSM couldn’t print it if it weren’t true.

/s

Robert17 on August 17, 2011 at 2:19 PM

First thing the next president needs to do. Give EVERY department a year to look over their mission statements and provide concrete, result oriented data in relation to their budgets to show their efficacy. At the same time, have private organizations who work toward the same goals of these departments provide the same information for themselves. Then:

1) Eliminate any departments whose mission statements show they are no longer necessary (I’d say constitutional, but we gotta go in steps)
2) Eliminate any departments who cannot show any significant results towards their mission statement goals. If the nanny-staters start screaming, “They hate the EARTH!! or what about the CHILDREN!!” You point to the results and show that these departments have shown no proof that they do much to actually help the earth or the children – it’s just wasted money.
3) Eliminate any departments that have a more effective private sector counterpart and allow for tax breaks for those who donate to these organizations or perhaps even some very reduced gov’t funds going to them. (Sierra club will shriek if you disband the EPA – but that may be neutralized if they realize it will mean more cash coming to the Sierra Club itself).
4) Adjust budgets of remaining departments to coincide with the need of their mission statement in the US today, and with the level of results they’ve shown they can achieve.

I know entitlements are the big game, but the crap needs to be cut nonetheless. Whenever it’s tried, the straw men are raised of how the US will be hurt if they are cut – without any reference to whether they are actually doing these things. They are usually goals that sound good – making education better FOR THE CHILDREN!! – so people automatically think they are good things whether they achieve those good goals or not. If you can show the public that these departments aren’t achieving the good they were supposed and there ARE good private organizations that do the same thing MUCH better – you can cut these departments without worry of much political damage. Plus, everyone area of fed gov’t needs to be re-evaluated and audited with concrete standards where everyone can see their usefulness or lack thereof.

Treat the electorate like adults, unlike the typical hyperbole and scare tactics (I know it’s cliche, but true) that both sides use. Too many DC pols are treating the nation like kids and creating boogeymen from the opposing view rather than presenting the facts and letting us decide what does and what doesn’t need to be done by the fed gov’t. It’s the people against DC folks. We need more than a conservative willing to push conservative legislation through the current system. We need someone whose primary focus is to fix the broken system.

miConsevative on August 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM

miConsevative on August 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM

And sorry for that big philosophical comment is this light-hearted, fun thread. Was just on my mind driving today and it just spewed out at the sight of this government waste piece. ;-)

miConsevative on August 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Or, Rainsford, you could have a question like: True or False: The 10% of taxpayers having the highest adjusted gross income pay 69.94% of total income taxes paid. Or: True or False: The top 50% of taxpayers having the highest adjusted gross income pay 97.3% of the total taxes paid.

Those are actual statistics (in comparison to your conjecture) and fit into the narrative quite well.

SukieTawdry on August 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM

miConsevative on August 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Unlike my snark, you’re correct. If the Gubmit had to perform under auspices such as ISO they’d flunk every audit with non-conformances out the yahoo.

Robert17 on August 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Let’s do something about it!

Cut what?

Oh, not that.

mankai on August 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Rainsford on August 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Contrary to what the socialist would have you believe, the rich getting richer is a good thing. When they have money the spend money which creates jobs. When they have more money they spend even more money which creates even more money. However, when the government takes more of our money, we have less money, which, means we spend less. That in turn shrinks the economy and jobs are lost. Which would you rather have?

boomer on August 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

dirtseller on August 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

That “K” in Skittles?
It’s a typo.

VelvetElvis on August 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM

boomer on August 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

You’re wasting your time trying to explain economics to a liberal.
They’re much more interested in “fairness”.
Komrade Barry even said he would increase taxes even if it meant less revenue, in the interest of “fairness”.

VelvetElvis on August 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM