Report: Boehner, Jordan, Daniels, Jeb Bush all want Ryan to run for president

posted at 8:47 pm on August 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

I’m tempted to endorse him right now but dropping the official candy-ass RINO seal of approval on him might be the final straw that keeps him out of the race.

More seriously, as David Petraeus once famously said: Tell me how this ends.

Indiana governor Mitch Daniels hopes he runs. “If there were a Paul Ryan fan club, I’d be a national officer,” Daniels said in a phone interview Wednesday morning.

“I don’t think it’s a secret that he was strongly encouraging me to try. I’ve been strongly encouraging him to run as well. He has all the qualities our party needs to be emphasizing in these elections. He can explain—and is willing to explain—in plain English why today’s policies are a disaster for the middle class, and he has the smarts to go toe-to-toe with the people who are saying misleading things about the proposals that he’s put out there.”…

Ryan has been receiving encouragement from his colleagues in the House for months. California congressman Devin Nunes, who has worked extensively with Ryan on entitlement reform and spending issues, has been pushing Ryan for months. So has John Boehner, according to two sources familiar with their conversations. Boehner has praised Ryan as a “natural candidate” to fellow House Republicans…

Ryan is in Colorado vacationing with his family this week. Three sources close to Ryan tell THE WEEKLY STANDARD that his wife, Jana, is “on board” with a presidential bid. “That is a very big deal,” says one Ryan confidant. “Not that she’s enthusiastic, but she understands and she’s with him on it.”

Let’s approach the question this way. What makes Ryan significantly different from, oh, say, Tim Pawlenty? They’re both young, smart, soft-spoken midwestern conservatives. Pawlenty had the added advantages of eight years of executive experience and, unlike Ryan, no TARP vote to his record for his opponents to use against him. And he ended up flatlining in Iowa five months before the caucuses. Ryan’s advantage, of course, is that he’s hugely respected on the right among both the grassroots and the establishment for his boldness in pushing entitlement reform. But in a state where it’s considered dangerous to oppose ethanol subsidies, how far is the idea of overhauling Medicare going to fly? How far would it fly in Florida?

There are two great risks to a Ryan candidacy. One: He’ll succeed in turning the focus of the primaries from economic growth to entitlement reform. We can argue about whether that’s a good thing — although Americans care much more about the former than the latter, it may be that this conversation simply can’t wait another moment — but if the party ends up with Ryan’s agenda, it had sure better have Ryan as its nominee too. The worst outcome would be if he shifts the discussion but then ends up losing the nomination, leaving the nominee stuck having to champion Ryan’s goals albeit less effectively than Ryan himself would/could do. And two: A run risks destroying Ryan’s brand. If he jumps in and gets Pawlenty’d in Iowa and New Hampshire, he goes back to D.C. knowing that his reform agenda was rejected even by ardent Republican voters. That would cripple him on the Hill; even if the GOP cleaned up on election day, a new Republican Congress would suddenly be reluctant to pass his budget. He’s taking a big risk on a very long longshot and it could end up setting back not just his political career but his cause.

Beyond that, where’s he getting the money to compete with Bachmann in Iowa, Romney in New Hampshire, and Perry in South Carolina? Having lots of prominent Republican pols behind him will help but more big donors are spoken for with each passing day. His best chance to mount a major campaign, I think, would be if both Daniels and Haley Barbour backed him, which would open up Bush contacts to him on Daniels’s side and RGA donors on Barbour’s end. That could swing parts of the larger GOP establishment from Romney to Ryan, but since the establishment prizes electability as a bottom line, I’m not sure even that would do it. Who’s more electable: Sixtysomething former governor Mitt Romney and his message of jobs and economic growth or fortysomething-going-on-25 congressman Paul Ryan and his message of overhauling grandma’s benefits (which of course isn’t actually his message)? I can kind of see how Ryan would beat Romney in New Hampshire if he rounded up well-heeled donors quickly. Where else does he win, though? How does he beat Perry and Texas’s sterling job numbers? Explain, please. I’d genuinely love to see a path to victory.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dr Evil on August 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Why were all of the Bush’s supporting Kay Bailey then when Gov. Perry was running for re-election the last time?

I wouldn’t call that even friendly, seeing how they all opposed Perry. All the Dems opposed Perry too, LOL

I’d say if your friends oppose you and your enemies oppose you, you’re between a rock and a hard place:-)

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Ryan lacks the experience necessary to run the world’s largest operation, the US federal government. We’ve seen what happens when a guy needs on-the-job-training.

Too many primary voters are swayed by who will tell them what they want to hear in the way they want to hear it, instead of who can do the darn job.

Adjoran on August 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM

This is such a manifestation of ‘The Ruling Class” article in the American Spectator. When Rush bought this to light my light turned on. There IS a major battle going on within the Republican party and especially NOW with the Tea Party having grabbed their nuts the hardest.

As the old saying goes, 2012 is the Republicans to loose and when I read about Jeb and the others wanting to back Ryan–I am really seeing how there is a element in the Repub party that is in bed with the demon-crats. Jeb, thanks for telling us about you mudderfolkers. Tell me old Mr. ‘Boner’ isn’t concerned about loosing the Speakership and when they cut Bachmann way back when that she decided to kick them in the nuts by running. They have no control. Nothing. And a lot of “ABO” (Any Body but Obama) voters out here.

And you also got the Super-Sized Boy from Jersey (who I like as Governor BUT no RHINO Prezy’s —Please) being cajoled to run. Geeezezez. The Repubs are screwed up. Right now this is suppose to be a party IN UNITY not disarray.

auspatriotman on August 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM

If Boehner is pushing Ryan to go run for President, then I presume he wouldn’t be adverse to stepping aside for Ryan to become Speaker? Right?

TheRightMan on August 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I like the way you think. That sounds like the plan.

Your first question: LOL

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM

And strange that no one is mentioning Jindal this election cycle.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Jindal is going to be reelected LA Governor in November.
He was my absolute first choice for president. *sigh*
Btw: I’d like to point out that Ryan is 41, Rubio and Jindal are 40, and Nikki Haley is 38 or 39.
I’m almost 41-and these future leaders of the GOP are MY generation! Like the song says:…future’s so bright I we’ve gotta wear shades…

annoyinglittletwerp on August 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Anytime our RINO R’s think someone would be a good candidate,that to me is the kiss of death, baby.No thank you and I like Ryan but I’m not sure if he walks the walk just yet.

ohiobabe on August 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I so agree. We didn’t appreciate our nominee that was picked for us the last time and we’d rather pick our own and win!!!

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Yes, Boner just wants him out of the way!

leftnomore on August 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM

If that is such a great move, let Boehner/Jeb Bush/Daniels/Jordan make it.

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Paul Ryan has my vote automatically. – (conservative from Colorado living in Dallas)

msipes on August 18, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Hey any Ohio peeps out there heard any rumors today about Kaisch wanting to have a friendly meeting with the unions?

ohiobabe on August 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Working late tonight, this is all I’ve found:

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 1:16 AM

youngTXcon on August 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

That could be how they think regarding Ryan. However, he seemed to be able to do pretty well so far without being President. If we would elect a Republican President and remove the House and or Senate members that can aid in getting bills thru, then what has been accomplished?

It seems it is better to keep your gifted members and build/add to those that can support the conservative ideas.

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Right about now, Sarah Palin is laughing her a** off…

idesign on August 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I’m sure she has many laughing along with her, myself included. Not at the Candidates so much, as the pundits, LOL

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM

The more I think about this, the more I believe this is an effort to “cap” Paul Ryan’s chairmanship of Budget.

roscopico on August 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I agree. They’ve had time during the August recess to think things up. Why Ryan and why now? If that was such a great idea, why wait so long?

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM

auspatriotman on August 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Good God, would you please learn the difference between “lose” and “loose.”

Connie on August 18, 2011 at 1:47 AM

auspatriotman on August 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I haven’t read the article you linked to but will. There is most likely a lot of truth in what you’ve stated. We know that the R’s were against the Tea Party and also the Conservatives.

The good ole boys club don’t want the boat rocked and you can see the compromising ongoing. Boehner & McConnell making deals with Reid.

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 1:53 AM

msipes on August 18, 2011 at 1:14 AM

You know they’ll revoke your Texas Citizenship, don’t you?

You’ll probably be safe, since outside of fraud, I don’t see Ryan running or winning:-)

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Hummmm….

Let’s see…..

Nothing comes to mind.

Oh wait, maybe it has nothing to do with that, but instead it’s because they don’t like the Savior RINO flavor-of-the-day…

What with all 31 Baskin Robins political flavors running we should be real close to a full menu by now…

Mcguyver on August 18, 2011 at 1:59 AM

More seriously, as David Petraeus once famously said: Tell me how this ends We condemn, in particular, the action of an individual in the United States who recently burned the Holy Qur’an.

Lon Chaney on August 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM

More seriously, as David Petraeus once famously said: Tell me how this ends I want to extend very best wishes to you and your families as you celebrate the holy month of Ramazan.

Lon Chaney on August 18, 2011 at 2:28 AM

More seriously, as David Petraeus once famously said: Tell me how this ends What have you done to win Muslim hearts and minds today?.

Lon Chaney on August 18, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I’m sick of the “electability” crap, as if that’s THE primary consideration. If that’s the case, then you’d better start shilling for Romney.

ddrintn

If electability is so meaningless, let’s just nominate Christine O’Donnell and be done with it.

xblade on August 18, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Ryan is first and foremost a gop establishmentarian who is heeled out on the entitlement deficit. He has shown no other skills for other budget issues, to wit NCLB, SCHIPS etc. I don’t believe he’s ever been in the military nor had any other executive experience, let alone a professional background. If he runs, the entire field will be smeared with pushing Grammy off the cliff. Earth to Ryan. Stay. In. The. House .

AH_C on August 18, 2011 at 2:56 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM

It’s bad manners to brag about your age…

theaddora on August 18, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Iowa poll is real? Paul coming in 2nd? Ames is a joke. Run it in Ohio or Illinois where there are more people. Not some charade where votes are bought by who has the better entertainment.

Gedge on August 18, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Big government Ryan? The guy who’s voted to destroy our economy multiple times? Uhhhh…OK! Go Ryan.

*shakes head* You get what you deserve…”conservatives”

The GOP will betray you

True_King on August 18, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I like Ryan. I don’t think he’s ready yet though. And what I have to be wondering is why he’s getting all this immense pressure from people like John Boehner and Jeb Bush to run just now. I can’t help noticing the timing, only days after Rick Perry has tossed his hat into the ring.

The only reasons I can think of is that they’re afraid Perry will implode in the general or that he might be somebody they can’t control in the White House. He’s got a good record of staying on message and not making mistakes though, so I think its more likely that establishment Republicans are worried about how much control they’ll have over him in the long run.

Not sure how I feel about that really. On the one hand, if you want to get alot done, a united front can be a good thing. On the other, there are three separate branches for a REASON. Legislating isn’t supposed to be easy. It’s supposed to be hard enough that folks have to really THINK about what they’re doing.

Murf76 on August 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Obama’s poor performance can’t be tied to his lack of experience if we run someone without it, too.Too many primary voters are swayed by who will tell them what they want to hear in the way they want to hear it, instead of who can do the darn job…………
Adjoran on August 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM

How can we be sure that it’s not just inexperience but that he may be just too dumb or even socialist? We’ve yet to see any grades etc.

Herb on August 18, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Just trying to sway SP from declaring

smell the fear of the rino

Sonosam on August 18, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Yahoo News / AP (American Pravda) is where SoundByte Americans get their news……

…..according to this TEA PARTIERS are less popular than Atheists and Muslims.

Is this why the Smarter than the serfs GOP Progressive Elites are shuddering in their loafers about the Tea Party types?

Poppy Bush is NOT AMUSED Tea Party hicks.

PappyD61 on August 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM

bluefox on August 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Why did Bush support Kay Bailey Hutchinson for Governor? Because Kay Bailey was a Bush water carrier during his 2 terms as President, he was paying her back. Both Cornyn and Hutchinson would vote which ever way Bush wanted them to. I would never vote for either of them down here, and I voted against Cornyn in 2008, the Democrat he ran against was a retired Army officer.

Dr Evil on August 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM

er…Bachman is often deemed “unelectable” due to lack of executive experience. So, how is Ryan different??

I’m sticking to Bachman or Perry.
In my book, his age (40)cannot make up for his lack of experience. But Bachman’s can. And, Perry’s got the experience.

balkanmom on August 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM

“I don’t think it’s a secret that he was strongly encouraging me to try. I’ve been strongly encouraging him to run as well.”

Do it dude. I dare you.

Screw that. You do it. In fact, I double dog dare you.

You think I’m that crazy? You really have no respect for me at all, do you?

watson007 on August 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM

One thing AP neglected to cover about Ryan:

Obama resonated with the younger crowd BECAUSE he was younger, not just because he was black.

Younger generations mostly look at politics as the will of old people. When they saw Mr. Yes We Can (destroy America), they were likely attracted to a younger, hipper (?) candidate.

Paul Ryan is younger (than Obama), though I don’t know if he would be considered hip.

VibrioCocci on August 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Lets get real here….
I’m laughing at all this bull crap about Ryan, Christie and every damn Republican character that is being pushed or promoted to run…

Why is this happening? Because the Establishment dolts and Republican Party boys have finally figured out that Sarah Palin is coming and coming soon… and they are freaking out.

So, its throw everyone out there because it has to be anybody but Palin…. because they know that once she “officially” announces soon that her momentum will wash over all the so-called current candidates and her winning the nomination means the end of the butt kissing and brown nosing and money changing system that is in place in the Washington culture.

If Ryan takes the bait, then I feel sorry for him because he will never win the nomination…. can you see the campaign speeches now… with charts and financial details spoken by someone as charismatic as… well, I don’t want to go after Ryan too much because he is great doing what he is doing now.

Bring in the clowns… anyone but Palin… I’m laughing at the fools who see the inevitable coming and they are really panicking.

PhilipJames on August 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM

PhilipJames on August 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM

idesign on August 18, 2011 at 10:08 AM

PhilipJames on August 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM

THIS!!!

AH_C on August 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM

One thing AP neglected to cover about Ryan:

VibrioCocci on August 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Are you kidding? Geeky is hip – haven’t you heard?

I am very much in favor of a Ryan run. Though he could be considered part of the establishment, he has taken a leadership role. He has stuck his neck way out there in addressing entitlements and how that impacts every other part of our economy, including job growth and our role as defending of the free world.

He believes that the American people will not take kindly to relinquishing that role to a power like China or a renewed Russia, and I think he’s right. The states are engaged in very grown up conversations about how we get our debt in hand by having to address fiscal matters on all levels. Te world economy is a perilous position and Western Europe has demonstrated that the cradle to grave entitlement state doesn’t work.

This is the conversation we’re having right now.

If Ryan’s entry into the race forces that conversation among Republicans to become more about solutions than platitudes and sound bytes, that is a good thing. If he loses the primary, so what? He might be positioning himself for VP in exchange for a bigger pulpit to preach his ideas from. Is that so bad? And if Palin wins the nomination and chooses someone like Ryan, who knows the ins and outs of Washington as well as anyone, for VP, she has a loyal shepherd to get legislation done.

There is no one perfect, but we have some great people willing to try. We have a super deep bench and lots of wonderful future presidential contenders. This is cause to celebrate.

piglet on August 18, 2011 at 10:42 AM

…Obama’s poor performance can’t be tied to his lack of experience if we run someone without it, too…

Adjoran on August 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM

But Obama’s poor performance isn’t tied to his lack of experience. It’s tied to his Marxist-derived, “post-America” ideology. And at this stage “lack of experience” couldn’t be used against him in a campaign, as he now has experience–and his dismal record is a better target, anyway.

Rather, Obama would be unable to campaign against Ryan’s supposed lack of experience, as he himself had an even shorter record of accomplishments when he became President himself.

Blacklake on August 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Incidentally, just how many Kos Kids and Media Matters loons have managed to infiltrate and troll this thread?

Blacklake on August 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM

This piece by Allah is unbelievably depressing.

Intelligent, brave, charismatic young pol, integrity oozing from every pore, in complete command of the most pressing issue facing the country…and ‘ol eeyore makes a case that there’s a good chance he’s unelectable.

Time to go curl up in a corner & cry.

Purple Fury on August 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Purple Fury on August 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

walnut on August 18, 2011 at 11:13 AM

PhilipJames on August 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM

When the clowns attack, always go for the juggler.

Great post PJ

Irritable Pundit on August 18, 2011 at 11:15 AM

What makes Ryan significantly different from, oh, say, Tim Pawlenty?

Ryan came up with a strong plan to cut spending, including entitlements, that he championed in the House.

Other than that, AP’s analysis is excellent. It’s extremely hard to get elected President from the House, especially when another House member (Bachmann) is already running. Executive experience counts, which is why Governors Perry and Romney are leading the race right now.

Ryan is extremely useful WHERE HE IS, as a leader of the budget hawks in the House, and he has been driving the budget debate. He can’t expect to get his proposals through a Democrat-controlled Senate and past an Obama veto, but the budget debate has been changed from how much to INCREASE to how much to DECREASE spending, and it’s probably clear to most voters that his plans can only come to fruition with a Republican-controlled Senate and a Republican President.

I’m almost 41-and these future leaders of the GOP are MY generation!

Meaning that Ryan is young enough to wait for now, be the “point of the spear” (a Sarah Palin expression) in the House budget debate over the next several years, build a national reputation, and possibly run for President or VP in 2016 (if Obama wins next year) or 2020 (if a Republican is elected in 2012 and re-elected in 2016). Ryan is younger than the youngest elected President (JFK), so he should wait and let more mature candidates run for President this year, and burnish his credentials for later.

Steve Z on August 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM

While I like Rep. Ryan in congress I don’t think he has the experience yet to be President. We had a guy that had couple of terms in the state legislation and one in congress already.

JeffinSac on August 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM

ohiobabe on August 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Methinks it might not be so friendly.

Steve Z on August 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM

PhilipJames on August 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM

When the clowns attack, always go for the juggler.

Great post PJ

Irritable Pundit on August 18, 2011 at 11:15 AM

The world doesn’t revolve around a half-term governor from AK.
Really-it doesn’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Last thing we need is another congressman or senator with no executive experience cluttering up what looks to be a serious race.
Two, Paul can and needs to be in the house to offset the”worst idea DC has ever come up with”,the so called stacked deck committee of 12.

Col.John Wm. Reed on August 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM

This: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703766704576009322838245628.html

That’s what makes him different and it makes his candidacy light years ahead of Pawlenty or even Bachmann.

If you really want to get into differences between the two:

Pawlenty could never have given this speech.

When the Tea Party candidates like Bachmann talk about their credentials they say they voted for the Ryan plan.

Here’s my take on “the establishment.” When they started they were conservative for the most part, but Washington changed them. I think in Ryan they see the most articulate version of the conservatism they wished they’d been able to say themselves.

That being said, Ryan’s path to victory has to involve two big endorsements I think: Sarah Palin and Jim Demint. Both of those people have endorsed or backed Ryan in some fashion. Walker has already said he’d back Ryan, but of course he’s from Wisconsin. (Does that make Walker establishment now?)

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Oops posted the same speech twice, my bad. I meant to post the healthcare summit thing where he took it to Obama. Pawlenty would never have done that,

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM

That healthcare summit was where I really started liking Ryan. If he runs, he has my vote.

walnut on August 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Well said. And Palin has already stated the more the merrier as far as she is concerned. Why are people afraid of another guy getting into the race?

piglet on August 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Why are people afraid of another guy getting into the race?

piglet on August 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

There’s some legitimate fear of support getting too fragmented come election time. Hopefully the hardcore supporters of the respective candidate prospects won’t just take their ball and go home if their hero isn’t nominated.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM

The world doesn’t revolve around a half-term governor from AK.
Really-it doesn’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Your tears sustain me..:)

idesign on August 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Your tearsMy fantasy sustains me..:)

idesign on August 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Why are people afraid of another guy getting into the race?

piglet on August 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM

If that is the case then this nation is screwed. We might as well hang it up and figure out which states will be seceding from the union.

piglet on August 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

piglet on August 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

My fear exactly.

There are two things that could result in an Obama victory:

-Failing to provide a candidate that the public sees as any better than the incumbent. (we can debate electability all day and night, but the concept holds)

-Failing to support any particular candidate worth squat, and having the nomination degrade into a playground squabble.

And as for secession…well…let’s just say I’m wondering if certain governors aren’t already sending top-secret memos around.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Were you adopted?

idesign on August 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I think you could bet confidently that if Ryan runs Palin doesn’t. For all the crap Perry has gotten for promising he wouldn’t run from some Palin people, I’m not sure Ryan being in, as someone she said had the vision forward, wouldn’t be good enough to fit the description she gave of a candidate needed in order for her not to run

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Why are people afraid of another guy getting into the race?

piglet on August 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I’m not, the more the merrier. Everyone likes to point out Palin’s negatives, but forget Ryan’s, he hasn’t even held an executive office. If the Republicans end up going back to their failed political instincts, they will lose the Independent vote IMO. The reason that the Republicans won in a big sweep in November 2010 is because they were embracing fiscal conservative policy, that was due to the TEA party not the RINO wing of the Republican party. I can always vote for whoever the Libertarian candidate turns out to be in 2012. I won’t be voting RINO. I am not invested in the Republican party, I have no reason to vote for whatever the establishment Republicans think is good enough for their base.

Dr Evil on August 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Representative Ryan is an establishment Republican. Sarah Palin aligns herself with the TEA party. Ryan and his voting record starting with voting for TARP in September of 2008 is not a TEA party favorite. Rep Thaddeus McCotter (R) Michigan is already in the Presidential race, and he didn’t vote for Bush’s TARP.

Dr Evil on August 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Paul Ryan is a strong Congressman and one of the very few who seems to actually understand the precipice our country is currently balancing upon. That being said, I don’t think this is the right time for him to jump into a Presidential race. Especially after the disastrous experience with President Zero, the Republicans need someone with a clear-cut record of success as an executive. Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin and Tim Pawlenty all fit that mould. Mitch Daniels and Haley Barbour would have as well, had they chosen to run. Ryan – for all his skills – does not. And the money argument is a valid one. Especially after Governor Perry’s entry, there won’t be a ton of big-money guys left for anyone else. The only person who could still make a real splash is Governor Palin. And Ryan is probably more valuable in the House than running a campaign that would probably prove fruitless. I’d like to see Ryan go on to become a governor somewhere, and THEN run a few years down the road. Yes, we need his courage and his leadership. But I don’t think he’s quite ready yet. However, if someone wants to convince me otherwise, I’d love to be so convinced.

StoneHeads on August 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Interesting that a bunch of big government Republicans started seriously pushing Ryan to run right after Perry declared. Can anybody say they want to keep a Conservative with an actual chance to win out of the seat?

I really dislike big government Republicans.

hachiban on August 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Dr Evil on August 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM

And yet she endorsed Ryan’s roadmap and has constantly praised him in every interview….

Sorry, you’re living in a cave if you don’t think Palin is a huge fan of Ryan.

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

cpaulus on August 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Have you looked at Ryan’s voting record? I don’t vote for whoever Sarah Palin endorses. I make up my own mind, I am not a Republican. I am an Independent. Sarah Palin is a loyal Republican.

Dr Evil on August 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Hmmm! What could go wrong? Maybe split the votes between Perry and Ryan, and let Romney steal the nomination. I like Romney, but I don’t think he has the balls to beat Obama…

stacman on August 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Boehner, Jordan, Daniels and Jeb Bush … oh my.

Time to send in the vote splitters for the primary in case one of the outsiders gets ahead.

Not to fault Ryan, but if he goes for it, he is just collecting a specific voter population to hand over to Boehner, Jordan, Daniels and Jeb Bush, oh my, to keep the rogue from getting them

It worked for McCain. Who knows. Could happen twice

From what I see,vote splitters are already being staged, to keep the vote from coagulating on the wrong kind of person.

IMHO, not all who claim to be outsiders, are outsiders. They are floating so many balloons to recreate one candidate as Reagan II we might have a gas shortage soon

entagor on August 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM

entagor on August 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM

In a different economy their tactic might work. The middle class has made up it’s mind about the “progressives” in both parties. I think 2012 is going to make 2010 look like a mild turn over. They may pick up some Republican seats, but not without a TEA party litmus test, showing they have a strong fiscal conservative streak.

Dr Evil on August 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Karl Rove is behind the move — IBD and several others places are explaining that he is the one trying to take Perry out for the Bush 41 establishment to clear the way for Romney. IBD says higher ups but anyone who has been around Texas politics know it is Bush 41 and his cabal that want to maintain the status quo if it meant electing Obama instead of Perry who will really shake up DC.

Getting Daniels to try and get Ryan in the race by Rove and the Bush 41 cabal is dumb. Not going to happen. Is Rove going to go after Mike Pence for Indiana Governor since he seems to prefer moderates to conservatives.

PhiKapMom on August 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Most of us went after Obama for having no experience but he at least ran a statewide race for Senate no matter how rigged it was. Knew Rove and Bush 41 hated Perry so now they want to take Ryan and run him as their candidate in hopes he will take out Perry to give Romney the nomination when Perry is anything but the establishment candidate.

Bush 41 and his cabal with Rove out in front are fast turning me against anyone they are for although Daniels does a good job on his own. Ryan has no experience to be President but that’s okay because he is a Republican. Anyone who thinks that is a hypocrite. All he cares about is changing entitlements. What is his foreign policy, etc? Is that just going to be more of the Bush doctrine by Karl Rove?

PhiKapMom on August 19, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Ping: Beldar on Ryan’s Vulnerabilities.

Beldar on August 21, 2011 at 2:37 AM