Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on August 17, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

You know who Barack Obama is like? Honest Abe. Just ask … Barack Obama:

“Democracy is always a messy business in a big country like this,” Obama responded. “When you listen to what the federalists said about the anti-federalists … those guys were tough. Lincoln, they used to talk about him almost as bad as they talk about me.”

The comparison “is hysterical … that is really laughable in many respects,” said Alvin Felzenberg, the author of a book on American presidents. “You couldn’t print things today they said about Lincoln.” Felzenberg teaches at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, and was the chief spokesman for the 9/11 Commission.

Criticism of Lincoln in his day “was even more vitriolic than what you see about Obama,” said Eric Foner, a Pulitzer Prize-winning presidential historian at Columbia University. “Obama is a guy who has a thin skin and does not take criticism well.” Foner’s Pulitzer-winning volume was titled ”The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery.”

Well, maybe he’s more like Martin Luther King, Jr. Who should we ask? Why not … Barack Obama?

And now that King has his own memorial on the Mall I think that we forget when he was alive there was nobody who was more vilified, nobody who was more controversial, nobody who was more despairing at times. There was a decade that followed the great successes of Birmingham and Selma in which he was just struggling, fighting the good fight, and scorned, and many folks angry. But what he understood, what kept him going, was that the arc of moral universe is long but it bends towards justice. But it doesn’t bend on its own. It bends because all of us are putting our hand on the arc and we are bending it in that direction. And it takes time. And it’s hard work. And there are frustrations.

Lincoln? MLK? Nah, those aren’t quite the comparisons that come to mind. This seems more appropriate:

“Are you getting frustrated?” Apparently so…

Comments

heh….good one Ed…

i’m sure dear leader will expect a memorial right next to MLKs….

cmsinaz on August 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM

And now that King has his own memorial on the Mall …..

Tell me that this is not a goal of his….tell me, I double dog dare you!!

herm2416 on August 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I thought O was more like Carter, but since he’s the smartest man who ever lived, I guess I’m wrong.

Beaglemom on August 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM

“Obama is a guy who has a thin skin and does not take criticism well.”

we’ve known that for a LOOOOOONG time now…

need a fighter to go up against this dude…

cmsinaz on August 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM

He looks more like a failure to me.

kingsjester on August 17, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I think he’s more like Mr. Potato Head, hollow between two big ears.

darwin-t on August 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM

“They laughed at Fulton. They laughed at Edison. But they also laughted at Bozo the Clown.”

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM

apparently, just being Barack Obama ain’t good enough for….Barack Obama…

ted c on August 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Lincoln, they used to talk about him almost as bad as they talk about me.

Well, sure. Lincoln wasn’t as great as you. So the criticism was more muted. /

Paul-Cincy on August 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM

by the looks of that head, I thought that was Ed Morrissey facedown after too much “fried butter”…/

ted c on August 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Ed,… grandchild?? The skull definitely bears a resemblance./

SKYFOX on August 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Ted, beat me to it again.

SKYFOX on August 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM

What does Lincoln have to do with jobs? I thought we bought him those million dollar campaign tour buses so he could go speechify about a framework for a discussion about his ‘jobs plan’.

forest on August 17, 2011 at 8:20 AM

As low as W’s numbers got, I don’t recall him looking for historical figures to “compare” himself to.

Marcus on August 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Sooo, Barry is depressed, bipolar AND he wants his own memorial on the Mall?

Barb Dwyer on August 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM

And now that King has his own memorial on the Mall …..
Tell me that this is not a goal of his….tell me, I double dog dare you!!

herm2416 on August 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM

There will be memorial statues, sites, museums, and roads in Baracky’s honor all over the country, none of them for his accomplishments, but rather for his skin tone.

Tim Zank on August 17, 2011 at 8:25 AM

You sir are very lucky God is graceful. It is He, and He alone that bends anything toward justice. Not you, not me, and definitely not “us”.

withmanitisimpossible on August 17, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Obama just loves rewritng history. What would Frederick Douglass say… “Barry I knew Abe Lincoln. Oh, Barry you are no Abe Lincoln.”

USMCDevilDog on August 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I studied Abraham Lincoln…and you, sir, are NO Abraham Lincoln.

NoFanofLibs on August 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Ed,… grandchild?? The skull definitely bears a resemblance.

SKYFOX on August 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM

No, not one of my granddaughters, but definitely a cute baby. I just looked up “whiny baby” on YouTube and found it. I’m sure her mother is wondering why the views have suddenly gone up sharply.

Ed Morrissey on August 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Tim Zank on August 17, 2011 at 8:25 AM

So they’re not going to demand his face “be put on the money”? Remember THAT from the campaign?

Marcus on August 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I studied Abraham Lincoln…and you, sir, are NO Abraham Lincoln.

Right, Lincoln was a Republican….

sandee on August 17, 2011 at 8:31 AM

We need just one more layoff to get this economy moving again.

On November 6, 2012 (V-A Day).

PappyD61 on August 17, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Lincoln, they used to talk about him almost as bad as they talk about me.

Then maybe, just maybe, the opposition you face has nothing to do with your skin color?

itsnotaboutme on August 17, 2011 at 8:32 AM

And if we all let go….I picture obama shooting off into space somewhere….

tinkerthinker on August 17, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I studied Abraham Lincoln…and you, sir, are NO Abraham Lincoln.

Right, Lincoln was a Republican….

sandee on August 17, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe MLK was as well.

gophergirl on August 17, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Narcissism. I want to see the public meltdown where he excoriates everything and everybody that has caused him to “look weak” and “look incompetent” and “look ineffective” and “look indecisive.”
After all. He, Barack Ø’Bammy, took down Usama bin Laden, ended the war on terror, forestalled the rise of the oceans and the warming of our planet. Right by himself, he did all that so how can anyone, ANYONE, ANYONE NOT compare him to the greatness of the past?
I’ll be looking for that special uniform to go with that special salute any day now.

ExpressoBold on August 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Marcus on August 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM

The $100,000 bill because when he’s done with the economy that’s what we’ll be buying milk and bread with.

darwin-t on August 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM

I don’t remember Lincoln touring the. country and campaigning for re-election while we raged on in a civil war. Comparing himself to Lincoln is like comparing beef jerky to a prime tenderloin.

Clueless tool.

fogw on August 17, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Ed Morrissey on August 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I know comics who joke about ugly babies, but I’ve never seen one. They all shine with the light of God and the newborns still remember His face. We had a Down’s Syndrome toddler girl in front of us in church this past Sunday. It took all my willpower to not grab her up and hug her. I’m sure you lavish affection on your grandchildren because you remember how fast your own kids grew up.

SKYFOX on August 17, 2011 at 8:36 AM

You can almost see Jesus and MLK standing together and both scratching their heads, just as confused and bewildered as this nation wandering in the desert. Obama hands you a cup of sand and says, “drink this–it’s water”.

Rovin on August 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM

That’s what keeps the Tea Party going! No one has perverted Constitutional justice as much as Obama. We will bend his moral universe alright. 2012 is almost here.

Christian Conservative on August 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM

AbeBama

kelley in virginia on August 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Correct gophergirl…..mlk was gop as well

cmsinaz on August 17, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Rovin on August 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Anybody here…seen my old friend Barry? Can you tell me where he’s gone?
Thought I saw him climbing down from a big black bus. I just looked around and he was gone.

Extrafishy on August 17, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Is Øbama suffering from fuzzy math again? The march on Birmingham was in 1963 and Selma was in 1965. King was assassinated in 1968. It’s kind of hard to spend a decade struggling and fighting when you’re dead for more than half of it.

Kafir on August 17, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Lincoln may just walk from the memorial into the WH and kick this guys butt./

Shameless.

antisocial on August 17, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Barry’s history is going to have the opposite trajectory of people like Lincoln and MLK. Appreciation for Lincoln and MLK’s contributions grew after their deaths. They were celebrated and venerated in death much more than they had been in life. With Barry, it’ll be the reverse: all the accolades and jubilation and cult-like worship of him came during his life (despite his never having actually done anything, other than exist). After he’s gone, historians will look at the wreckage of his one-term presidency and judge him a failure, and future generations will know him as nothing more than a footnote.

AZCoyote on August 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM

and future generations will know him as nothing more than a footnote. fungus.

AZCoyote on August 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM

You knew somebody had to do it.

Extrafishy on August 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM

The only person in American history I can think of to compare Barack Obama to is Benedict Arnold. But Benedict Arnold actually was very useful to America before he betrayed her. Barry was never useful. So, I’m thinking Barry is just plain old unprecedented in American history.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 17, 2011 at 8:59 AM

The Big I-Am won’t compare himself to Jesus unless he forgets that Jesus could actually build a cabinet.

TimBuk3 on August 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM

In the bitter end (which is FAST approaching for him) all he has left for himself is the race card.

And he can’t even do THAT 100% correctly…

golfmann on August 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I’m sure her mother is wondering why the views have suddenly gone up sharply.

Ed Morrissey on August 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM

The power of Hot Air.

backwoods conservative on August 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Imagine if Barry was getting half of the disgusting abuse heaped upon Dubya? I haven’t seen any of the anti-war crowd wandering around with Nazi signs aimed at Obama.

If someone slightly disagrees with Obama he throws a temper tantrum. Hopefully some of the GOP nominees will exploit his thin-skin during the debates.

Jay Mac on August 17, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Anybody here…seen my old friend Barry? Can you tell me where he’s gone?

Extrafishy on August 17, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Those are lyrics from Dion’s song “Barack, Barack and Barack”, right?

jon1979 on August 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Well, the second half of that decade, MLK was obviously a Democrat voter. ;)

crazy_legs on August 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

People have forgotten Benedict Arnold. We need a profanity of more recent vintage. Does anyone think that calling someone “an Obama” in future might become “a fightin insult”?

bigmike on August 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Lincoln was a practicing attorney, he held his license for more than one year, and he never volunteered to give up his license when the bar threatened to investigate his test results…in other words, Lincoln was a respectable attorney, who held his license in good standing…Obama never had a permanent license, only a provisional one.

right2bright on August 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM

heh….good one Ed…

i’m sure dear leader will expect a memorial right next to MLKs….

cmsinaz on August 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Nothing short of the 5th face on Mount Rushmore will be good enough for him or his crew… Anything else is just ‘dissin’…

Khun Joe on August 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM

A memorial for Obama? Easy. Bronze a teleprompter and stick it on a pedestal, emblazoned with the words, “I won.”

tpitman on August 17, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Wow, comparing Barack Hussein Obama to a white whiny baby. That’s gotta be RACIIIIIIISSSSSST.

katablog.com on August 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Racism is the only reason that our Dear Leader does not yet have his own memorial in Washington and in most cities and towns in our nation.

IlikedAUH2O on August 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Wait till the libs write the history and you jerks will see who is whiny. You don’t get a Peace Prize for nothing you know.

IlikedAUH2O on August 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Notice all the hints towards Democracy being hard, and if it weren’t for the restrictions from the Constitution, etc. Then the hints at MLK getting a memorial, as if to say…where’s mine?

Watch out Obama. It might be a day to remember for ya, next November. ;)

capejasmine on August 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM

It doesn’t surprise me he would want his own memorial on the mall, not after the way he’s been mauling the economy.

backwoods conservative on August 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Say, why doesn’t somebody buy that statue from Indonesia and bring it to D.C. where ABE LINCOLN can look at it! The statue of Obama as a boy is actually quite small compared to the Lincoln one!

bigmike on August 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Marcus on August 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM

darwin-t on August 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM

His ugly face should be on the food-stamp credit card, and on the Obamacare card that illegal aliens will get.

slickwillie2001 on August 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM

At the ripe old age of 50, shouldn’t this genius be working on finding his own persona?

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM

“Lincoln? MLK? Nah, those aren’t quite the comparisons that come to mind. This seems more appropriate”

I disagree. That is a cute baby communicating a desire to her mother the only way she knows how, and it made me smile.

O just makes me ……….. not happy (understatement of my life).

Paleoconservatarian on August 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM

“I’ve got a bracelet too.”

backwoods conservative on August 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM

“Abraham Lincoln, A predecessor of Barack Obama in both the White House and the Illinois state legislature,had eighteen months of formal education and became a soldier, surveyor, postmaster, rail-splitter, tavern keeper, and a self-taught prairie lawyer. Obama went to Occidental College, Columbia University, and Harvard Law School, and became a “community organizer.” – Mark Steyn After America:Get Ready For Armageddon

vcferlita on August 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM

The Whiner-in-Chief.

GarandFan on August 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM

was that the arc of moral universe

I think we have a winner for the new OotD graphic. So who here knows how to draw that Arc of Moral Universe that is the very essence of our Dear Leader?

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

What the Narcissist-in-Chief fails to realize is that it’s other people who are supposed to compare you to someone great, not you yourself.

CurtZHP on August 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

CurtZHP on August 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

This is the only area in which he has decided to lead.

slickwillie2001 on August 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

There IS one similarity between Lincoln and Obama–the South didn’t like either one of them.

Obama is the Super Federalist. Like Louis XIV of France, Obama thinks the Federal Government is HIM.

Steve Z on August 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I don’t begrudge him a vacation. He can take as many as he wants. In fact, the more vacations he takes, the more criticism he will face and with his already tumbling poll numbers, it will make it that much easier for us to take back the White House. So, go on! Go. Go for a month or so!

scalleywag on August 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM

This fool was Reagan, Lincoln, Truman, FDR, MLK…just not himself.

He has no clue who he is. Oh, yes, he’s an empty vessel, heading to the cemetery in the cortege of black buses hearses.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM

If the Boy King wants his own memorial, I suggest we name every tree and fire hydrant after him. That way, dogs all across American can give him the proper (one-legged) salute.

pdigaudio on August 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM

He is right on track for getting a Memorial!
It will be a cake……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….Just like Jane Fonda’s!

DSchoen on August 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Marcus on August 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM

He’d be perfect for the $3 bill.

VelvetElvis on August 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM