Non-union business owner shot in Michigan

posted at 11:25 am on August 17, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Why did a Lambertville, Michigan business owner get shot outside of his front door two nights ago? WTOL reports that John King, who owns the largest non-union electrical contracting firm in the area, got a pretty good idea why when he saw what the attacker had done to his car:

The Daily Caller has more:

He has a long history of being on the receiving end of union-related violence, and this case doesn’t appear to be any different. Before shooting him, the gunman etched the word “SCAB” into the side of King’s SUV.

The altercation started when King woke up late last Wednesday to find someone in his driveway. He described the intruder as a “silhouette figure” because he didn’t see the person clearly enough to offer a description. The individual was attempting to vandalize his SUV. When King went outside his Lambertville, Mich., home to confront the person, the vandal shot him in the arm.

Labor unions have attempted, unsuccessfully, to organize King’s employees, and he has been subjected to one legal nightmare after another in the process.

“Since he’s been in business, in addition to the legal battles and verbal abuse, King’s company has been vandalized and threatened on numerous occasions,” LaborUnionReport.com reports. “Unfortunately, the vandalism has never stopped. This year alone, he’s had to report three incidents of damage to police. This doesn’t include the incidents of stalking he and his men have to go through while they’re working.

“In one incident earlier this year, rocks were thrown through the front windows of his shop, one of which had the word ‘kill’ written on it.”

That’s not the only example of union “civility” this week. Fox’s New York affiliate reports that the CWA has advised its activists to “torture” non-union workers, calling it “open season” on them:

Tense Verizon Strike Continues: MyFoxNY.com

It’s worth pointing out that “open season” is a hunting term. Remember when crosshairs on a map made Sarah Palin responsible for all political violence regardless of what the facts were? The actual violence that occurred in Michigan seems a lot more connected to unions, and the same will be true if a violent incident occurs in New York in the Verizon dispute. Will the national media shriek about unions being the cause of political violence and demand sanctions against them? Don’t hold your breath.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obviously, this is Bush’s fault.

Good Lt on August 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Glenn Beck is talking to this guy right now.

catmman on August 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Chris Calabrese…

Why is it, whenever I see union leader trash names in print, I have the urge to go bada bing…

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

No, this is Sarah Palin’s map’s fault.

greggriffith on August 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Too bad Texas castle law wasn’t in place. Shoot em entering, shoot em leaving.

Limerick on August 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Well, I don’t know what Michigan’s gun laws are, but the next time someone enters his property and threatens the guy, if he get a chest full of lead and laid out on a slab, things might change.

catmman on August 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

But, in all seriousness, if enough union trash torture enough non union workers, I will be more likely to hook up my land line service once again.

Really.

I mean that is the real reason for the torture, right, to increase business and employment opportunities for workers who service land line phone service?

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

The more the unions create violence the worse people will think of unions, already the word union makes one angry.

mixplix on August 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Yes, GB is interviewing him now….but I think he said he said he’s in Toledo, OH.

4Freedom on August 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Curious that King and other union resisters wouldn’t want to work with the friendly unions.

Note to King: Get used to carrying a gun.

Bishop on August 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Hate crime…RICO act.

right2bright on August 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM

The GOP have to push this at the MSM as hard as they can. Or it will be ignored.

gh on August 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I hope to goodness they find who did this and that Mr. King files charges for attempted murder on him/them! I can not say how much I detest union thugs!
L

letget on August 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM

if he get a chest full of lead and laid out on a slab, things might change.

catmman on August 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

That’s for sure, the innocent will be thrown in jail…

right2bright on August 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Too bad that guy didn’t have a 12 gauge when he went outside.

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Is that UAW made vehicle that got defaced.? …a smidgen of irony.

DLEW on August 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Economic Hate Crime.

Isn’t it bad enough that Unions (and environmental wackos) sent millions of manufacturing jobs overseas, with their insane labor demands?

VastRightWingConspirator on August 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Obama needs to calm down the violent “terrorist/hostage” rhetoric that he has been fomenting.

faraway on August 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM

New Tone.

KingGold on August 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM

This is Obama’s America in action; violence, endless recall elections, assaults, riots, vandalism, legislative criminality.

Bishop on August 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

It’s apparently “open season” on John King.

unclesmrgol on August 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

L

letget on August 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Extrafishy on August 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Too bad that guy didn’t have a 12 gauge when he went outside.

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Which would have been my choice of defense in the dark. The noise alone would leave a perp crap trail down the driveway.

Limerick on August 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Of course, that fat f*** Trumpa already has a history of condoning murder…

Eddie York was his name.

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Limerick on August 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Or a Taurus Judge. Fires either Colt 45 or 410 shotgun.

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Jim over at Gateway is saying he’s from Toledo, Ohio.

Am I confused Ed?

Knucklehead on August 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM

From what I’ve heard, the guy operates a business in Toledo but lives just north of the Ohio-Michigan border.

Keep in mind that Toledo is right on the state line.

teke184 on August 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Unions = Mafia

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

NLRB will be investigating John King in a flash.

forest on August 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

In case anyone is unfamiliar, “scab” is a derogatory term referring to non-union “strikebreakers”.

amerpundit on August 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Your tax dollars at work

Oil Can on August 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Lambertville is a suburb of Toledo right across the border in Michigan. I live in Toledo, but my son plays baseball up there.

cktheman on August 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Fitting that those scumbags are wearing red.

Those tools are obviously doing well, if they can afford to strike while a lot of people are out of work.

Pure scumbags, and the other unions, as well, who never seem to speak out against this crap. Funny how that works, I guess they all condone it, and would even resort to this sort of behavior if they could.

reaganaut on August 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Extrafishy on August 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification on my post.
L

letget on August 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM

It sounds like his business is in Toledo but he lives in MI. Lambertville is in southern MI, near the Ohio border.
This whole new climate, new tone of civility of Obama’s has resulted in the most bigotted (sp?) culture I can imagine.
I want nothing to do with unions. Nothing. In fact, I am going to look up what businesses in my area are unionized and I will not shop there.
I also am more suspicious of other groups as well. My level of caution has gone up exponetially.

ORconservative on August 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM

This is how the left operates, it’s how the democrat party operates, it’s how communists operate. – Darwin

So true, but aren’t you forgetting someone? … A certain “religion” that operates this way too?

Tony737 on August 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

You people are really slow. This happened because Rick Perry said “treasonous” this week.

J.E. Dyer on August 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

There will be unintended consequences if the unions keep it up. Similar things have happened in the past and they did not end well for the instigators.

dogsoldier on August 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

At least this was not HATE-HATE

Ris4victory on August 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Not the goonions! i just don’t believe it!/

cartooner on August 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM

And this is why I loathe unions.

I really do dispise them.

Nineball on August 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Count it!

–crr6

Vanceone on August 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM

The hearse Obama travels in, the black bus/es, made in Canada. Obama like Canadian health nonsense and workers.

I’m waiting for bayam to tell me who loves the U.S.

——–
Another story is not reported in the news, via Beck, that unions had on their web site advocay of violence against the management. They’ve not taken it down. Where are the media? Ah, still in Obama’s dying azz. Suffocate in there, with him, you putrid fools.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Remember all of this when it is time to buy a new car.
Government/Union Motors will never sell a car to me.

brtex on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

MSM – Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

Only Rethuglicans need to tone down their rhetoric.

Just ask froma harrop.

rightside on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

There are 50 states. According to the 2010 census, just one is actually LOSING population. It’s the state that the story in the first video comes to us from. Hmm… I wonder why people are leaving Michigan?

radjah shelduck on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Unions = Mafia

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Hey!

VegasRick on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Hate crime…RICO act.

Fun fact: Thanks to the 1973 United States v. Enmons Supreme Court decision, unions and their members are specifically immune from all federal prosecution for crimes of violence–up to and including murder–committed to promote union interests.

Fabozz on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Damn tea partiers.

The Mega Independent on August 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

The cortege is heading through Illinois today, then he goes to Martha’s Vineyard, then he speaks, in cadences, again, in Sept., saying much, signifying nothing.

Where was he on jobs since Jan. 2009? This is the key question any sane and smart R should ask him, alas.

Plus, media…implode professionally and explode otherwise.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

This can’t be true. It wasn’t reported in my Houston Comical.

DanMan on August 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

“Understand brothers and sisters, we can never let these [expletive] piece of [expletive] pigs break us. Allahu ackbar! Allahu ackbar!”

forest on August 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Tony737 on August 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

You couldn’t possibly mean the religion of peace? You must be talking about Christians or Jews.

darwin on August 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM

It’s the left’s version of tolerance and civility.

Mangy Scot on August 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Sure the perp was there to vandalise, then why did he bring a gun? Sounds like attempted first degree murder to me.

John Deaux on August 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM

The over/under for the number of MSM reports on this incident is 2. I’ll take the under.

RadClown on August 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM

This is the sort of stuff ernesto was calling for after Walker prevailed in Wisconsin.

Chuck Schick on August 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM

You know what’ll never happen? Blaming the Wisconsin protestors for “setting the tone” that “caused this to happen.”

Not saying it’s their fault. Just saying that if you flipped this and it was a tea partier, we’d hear nothing but that, forever. I’ll be surprised if this story makes national news in the MSM.

Well-Armed Lamb on August 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Ed. THIS IS LAME !!!

For god sake get off Palin and get on to Barack. Something about “knives and guns” perhaps ? “Get in their face” ?

gh on August 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM

“I pledge allegiace to the union, and for the corruption for which they stand. One Nation, under Trumka, for if I don’t I will be shot. ”

Today’s freedom loving Left and their wonderful plans for utopia!

Vanceone on August 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM

dogsoldier on August 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

coughpinochetcough

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM

OT but related to the “Civility” meme: today the WaPo “Fact Checks” Uncle Joe Biden’s alleged use of the T word.

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Just ask froma harrop.

rightside on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I tried, but she deleted all her comments, from her opinion piece declaring her right of free speech.

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Obviously, this is Bush’s fault.

Good Lt on August 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM

No, this is Sarah Palin’s map’s fault.

greggriffith on August 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I can just see the poll on CNN

Whose fault is this?

A). Bush
B). Sarah Palin
C). Tea Party Hobbits
D). ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Southern by choice22 on August 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM

A Mossberg 500 Persuader would take care of this nicely…

PatriotRider on August 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Hate crime…RICO act.

Forget that. They should be listed as domestic terrorist organizations with the Department of Homeland Security.

Oh, heck, who am I kidding? Once again, Obama is palling around with terrorists.

Socratease on August 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

One of my close friends works for Verizon, and last night she told me that she’s not convinced that the “open season” comment was limited to verbal harassment. She’s actually afraid to go to work, but she does.

Plus, she tells me that Verizon had to file an injunction to keep union thugs from throwing, wiping, or leaving feces at the building or at anyone coming from or going to the building.

Unions: Children with more power than brains… or morals.

psrch on August 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

A Mossberg 500 Persuader would take care of this nicely…

PatriotRider on August 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I loves mine. And my Springfeild XDM 9mm.

VegasRick on August 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I still want to know where Jimmy Hoffa was buried. Unions = Thuggery.

Public Unions = vote buying + thuggery.

SC.Charlie on August 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Ya know…. if unions really are immune to federal prosecution for violent crimes, and according to the Supreme Court they are (say wha?) then why don’t conservatives unionize and just go around merrily beating up hippies? I’m sure some lawyer can come up with a clever bit of reasoning about economic welfare and how hippies hold it back or something.

Best part is, how can the liberals complain? It’s union! So, who wants to be part of local 666 in DC and sort of accidently run over Pelosi?

Vanceone on August 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM

What’s the problem here? Why are we covering this story … let’s get back to the Establishment GOP pundits berating the Iowa Tea Party for embarrassing Ogabe by asking him a simple question!

HondaV65 on August 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM

This is a huge black cloud over the unions. A really, really dark black cloud.

SouthernGent on August 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I’ll also add …

Don’t expect this guy’s killer to ever be brought to justice.

The guys who’d be responsible for investigating this crime and arresting the responsible parties are also UNIONIZED.

HondaV65 on August 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I just don’t get it.

Now the union thugs are shooting at us with real guns, and we will be told to just stand still and take it.

fossten on August 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Perry’s Fault

Of course, everyone knows that this is the result of Rick Perry’s comments about the Fed Chairman, Ben Bernanke.

I’m not kidding.

I will bet anything that this story will be coupled with Perry’s threat against Bernanke under the storyline that this is what you get when political leaders like Perry use harsh rhetoric on the campaign trail. You know, the kind of rhetoric that Obama is asking people to refrain from.

If only people like Perry would be reasonable and listen to Obama…

Any takers on my bet…

RedSoxNation on August 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM

This one is easy, don’t buy union. Just don’t do. These turds think that the Tea Party is dead, if the msn doesn’t report it, it didn’t happen and so on.
There are 3 groceries within a mile of my house. One is non union. That is where I’ll get the eggs on my way home. I’ll keep this up each day that I need to purchase something.
I’ll take this as far as I can. This disgusts me as much as Obama’s party bus hearse, I mean campaign bus.

ORconservative on August 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I’m trying to talk my son into leaving Verizon. I don’t think these old time thug tactics work anymore.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM

By the way, what happens when people start shotting back?

Does anyone think there is a chance that this could spark violent riots or retrobution killings? This could get very ugly…

RedSoxNation on August 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Obama: “John King acted stupidly”

gregbert on August 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Next time this guy checks ‘a noise outside’, might I suggest he do so with a Remington 870 loaded with 00 buck.

GarandFan on August 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Did I ever mention that I love my Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9mm?

And that I’ll soon be loving my Beretta 92A1?

And my Mossberg 590A1?

Just. Sayin’.

MadisonConservative on August 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Don’t expect this guy’s killer to ever be brought to justice.

HondaV65 on August 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM

“Killer”, Gracie?

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

So many good comments to cite, so little time:

At least this was not HATE-HATE

Ris4victory on August 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

And this is why I loathe unions. I really do dispise them.

Nineball on August 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I really do, too.

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I believe this is a civil rights violation and King should sue the IBEW for the total amount the union is worth.

Kuffar on August 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Fabozz on August 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Really??? That can’t be right…

RedSoxNation on August 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM

GarandFan on August 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Exactly.

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Really??? That can’t be right…

RedSoxNation on August 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Oh, it can be right, all right. Fabozz has the letter of the law wrong, but the bottom line right. As they say, read it all…

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Next time this guy checks ‘a noise outside’, might I suggest he do so with a Remington 870 loaded with 00 buckrock salt.

GarandFan on August 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Make that s**t really hurt.

MadisonConservative on August 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

So the Supremes say federal prosecution is out. But state and local prosecution is still in. There has to be an aspiring DA somewhere that would want to make a name for himself/herself. Preferably one that has a nice security system, though.

On the other hand, if the locals refuse to prosecute because they are union too… hit them where it hurts, with a civil rights claim. After all, if the police can’t be bothered to prosecute a union person, they can’t be bothered with a budget either, right?

Vanceone on August 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM

ORconservative on August 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Won’t do any good. If they start failing, Obama will just prop them up with his stash.

fossten on August 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Make that s**t really hurt.

MadisonConservative on August 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

First shell 00; second shell rock salt.

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM

“The victim can influence the decision, but it’s up to the state to file charges in criminal cases. Mr. King could certainly go after him in a civil action.

Extrafishy on August 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM”

I am no lawyer but it might be better for him to go after the Union with a civil suit. If he could show that the vandalism was part of an organized union assault, then the shooter might qualify as the unions agent and they might be on the hook.

Much deeper pockets and you might be able to attach the personal assets of some of the higher ups who conspired. Assuming you could show such a conspiracy.

Either way, the discovery process would make most of their internal email public. That would be interesting reading.

OBQuiet on August 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Federal, however, being the operative word. State criminal laws, though under-enforced in the context, still apply.

silverpie on August 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM

So where, exactly, are earnest, crr6 and all the other lefty trolls? Throw this incident in their face before they can opine about anything else.

rbj on August 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Carry a sidearm. Shoot union scum in self defense.

Vegi on August 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Imagine, just imagine, try to even partly conceive of what the MSM would have done to this if on the side of a union labor management person, the words “tea party” were scratched on the side of his car, and he had been shot.
Try, in your wildest imagination, how loud the outcry would be…like nothing you had ever seen.

right2bright on August 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM

This violence is coming soon to a neighborhood near you. Count it.

Mirimichi on August 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Beck is right that the MSM never carries these stories, and it’s because of their agenda. We have to get these stories out.

juliesa on August 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM