Non-union business owner shot in Michigan

posted at 11:25 am on August 17, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Why did a Lambertville, Michigan business owner get shot outside of his front door two nights ago? WTOL reports that John King, who owns the largest non-union electrical contracting firm in the area, got a pretty good idea why when he saw what the attacker had done to his car:

The Daily Caller has more:

He has a long history of being on the receiving end of union-related violence, and this case doesn’t appear to be any different. Before shooting him, the gunman etched the word “SCAB” into the side of King’s SUV.

The altercation started when King woke up late last Wednesday to find someone in his driveway. He described the intruder as a “silhouette figure” because he didn’t see the person clearly enough to offer a description. The individual was attempting to vandalize his SUV. When King went outside his Lambertville, Mich., home to confront the person, the vandal shot him in the arm.

Labor unions have attempted, unsuccessfully, to organize King’s employees, and he has been subjected to one legal nightmare after another in the process.

“Since he’s been in business, in addition to the legal battles and verbal abuse, King’s company has been vandalized and threatened on numerous occasions,” LaborUnionReport.com reports. “Unfortunately, the vandalism has never stopped. This year alone, he’s had to report three incidents of damage to police. This doesn’t include the incidents of stalking he and his men have to go through while they’re working.

“In one incident earlier this year, rocks were thrown through the front windows of his shop, one of which had the word ‘kill’ written on it.”

That’s not the only example of union “civility” this week. Fox’s New York affiliate reports that the CWA has advised its activists to “torture” non-union workers, calling it “open season” on them:

Tense Verizon Strike Continues: MyFoxNY.com

It’s worth pointing out that “open season” is a hunting term. Remember when crosshairs on a map made Sarah Palin responsible for all political violence regardless of what the facts were? The actual violence that occurred in Michigan seems a lot more connected to unions, and the same will be true if a violent incident occurs in New York in the Verizon dispute. Will the national media shriek about unions being the cause of political violence and demand sanctions against them? Don’t hold your breath.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Jim over at Gateway is saying he’s from Toledo, Ohio.

Am I confused Ed?

You may want to look at a map. Monroe, MI, is right over the border, closer to Toledo than to Detroit.

Crawford on August 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM

“If they bring a knife we bring a gun” Wasn’t that Obama’s suggestion? These cretins don’t like how competition is slicing into their game..

Republican Yogi on August 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Why is it, whenever I see union leader trash names in print, I have the urge to go bada bing…

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

The union setup is perfect “legitimate” source of income for the mafia players.

We need more RICCO to destroy the unions once and for all. But that ain’t happening under Holder.

AH_C on August 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

The media doesn’t seem to be very interested in this story for some reason.

forest on August 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

MNHawk on August 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Because these union goons are all wannabe mafiosi.

CurtZHP on August 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Vandalizing cars and shooting people, meh. They’re doing it for the children.

RebeccaH on August 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Here’s the answer: Collective Bargaining = Collective Suicide
It’s time to throw out the Wagner Act.

slickwillie2001 on August 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Well past time, really.

Count to 10 on August 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM

If this is the way life’s going to be from now on, then it might be time to think about waging counter-harassment tactics against union shops and their members. Make THEIR lives interesting for a change.

Aitch748 on August 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM

The left loves violence, especially mob violence like that which is perpetrated by organized crime. I watched “The Departed” on cable the other day and in that Oscar-winning flick (79th Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director (Scorsese), Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Film Editing) everybody dies by gunshot or being thrown off a 6th story building or being run down by an automobile or just being beaten to death.
Who stars in this organized crime against the cops extravaganza? Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen, and Alec Baldwin, all long-time Democrat lefties are major players this Irish mob in Boston gone wild killing spree. Somebody has to dream up all the violent episodic action in this portrayal of mayhem without compunction or restraint. That “somebody” is the screen writer who, more likely than not, is a liberal Democrat brie and chablis type in real life but goes nuts when it’s time think of over-the-top violence between thugs and not-thugs.
I blame Hollywood. I blame liberal, Democrat, violent, unrestrained Hollywood. I also blame Al “Welcome Terrorists” Franken, who exposed all the azzholes who live in Minnesota.

ExpressoBold on August 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Saw this up close on Madison Avenue a few nights ago, about 11pm on the corner of 63rd. There’s some 24hr Verizon work going on there and the guys are being picketed. That night the union thugs got really out of hand – they were right up close to the workers, yelling threats, cursing and a couple of them were even raising their fists. It was pure physical intimidation and eventually the cops arrived to protect them. Even when the union thugs were ordered to keep their distance and threatened with arrest, they were still breaking through the cops and yelling slurs and threats. To be perfectly honest they looked and sounded drunk – either that or they were just the kind of dumb, coarse, inarticulate idiots who sound drunk even when they’re not.

Sharke on August 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM

The time has come to ban unions. Free workplace from union vandalism.

antisocial on August 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Aitch748 on August 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM

How about the unemployed start picketing union shops?
“Unions kill jobs!”
“Look for the union label, and don’t buy it!”

Count to 10 on August 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Sharke on August 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Without knowing it, you came up with a brilliant idea…
Give out free beer and booze at these pickets…then film the action after a few beers.
Just someone mysteriously drop a keg off, some plastic cups and leave silently…

right2bright on August 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Fuc%ing union goons fascists…

Seven Percent Solution on August 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM

And, of course, we want drunken union workers thugs making those Boeing aircraft in South Carolina, right?

BuckeyeSam on August 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM

you know why everything says “Made in China” on it these days? (They even make some US Flags over there!) Because the rich businessmen (who unions and liberal democrats love to demonize) closed their factories, ditched the unions choking them, escaped a punitive byzantine tax code, and opened up shop over there. Wake up America.

maineconservative on August 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM

right2bright on August 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Maybe a little PCP in the beer…let’s really kick things off…

Sharke on August 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM

This one is easy, don’t buy union. Just don’t do. These turds think that the Tea Party is dead, if the msn doesn’t report it, it didn’t happen and so on.
There are 3 groceries within a mile of my house. One is non union. That is where I’ll get the eggs on my way home. I’ll keep this up each day that I need to purchase something.
I’ll take this as far as I can. This disgusts me as much as Obama’s party bus hearse, I mean campaign bus.

ORconservative on August 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Yep. I avoid Kroger because they are greedy union, and go to Publix which is not.

I’ll also never buy anything made by the greedy UAW.

slickwillie2001 on August 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM

That dang tea party terrorist organization is at it again!

Oh…wait….

MississippiMom on August 17, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Some of my fellow Hoosiers may recall that Mitch Daniels was doing really well in gaining support for a run at the White House until he failed to press the Right To Work legislation in Indiana. Now he is looking at a nice quiet retirement at the end of next year.

MikeA on August 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Aitch748 on August 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I’m thinking there may soon be a new business opportunity in selling protection services to non-union business owners. That market at one time was thriving in places like South Africa. Why not here? We are, after all, heading down the same sewer.

MikeA on August 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Open season it is.

Ronnie on August 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Unions are like wounded animals… they see the gravy train under attack.

mankai on August 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Can’t we at least wait until they capture and arraign a suspect, or is this an Obamaesque “acting stupidly” thing before all the facts are known?

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I don’t get much opportunity where I live, but I love crossing picket lines. I will go into the establishment being picketed regardless of whether I have business to conduct there. It’s kind of like a hobby.

SukieTawdry on August 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I think Sean Connery said it MUCH more effectively than POTUS…………

Katfish on August 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Fascism, the word, comes from Fascio — the Italian word for Union or league. “The fasci were primitive trade unions and mutual-benefit societies aimed at helping workers get better contracts and helping villagers protect their lands from enclosure,” Britannica on Fascio Siciliano. To model of fascism is that the state would be a ‘fasci di fasci,’ a union of unions. And the source of its authority was, ultimately, the violence of the union thugs who supported it.

Unions and non-Marxist socialism are at the root of fascism.

TABoLK on August 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM

First shell 00; second shell rock salt.

Jaibones on August 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Correct order: pick ‘em off, then preserve them.

Yoop on August 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Soooo glad I live in Texas. We are a “Right to Work” state. I don’t know if I have the temperment not to beat the ever lovin crud out of one of those harassing union people. If I had stepped outside to check on my vehicle, that silhouette would have looked like the practice target I use at the range, and I guarantee there would have been some S&W action from my side of that altercation. Once again, soooo glad I live in Texas, or I might have a lot more law enforcement headaches (I currently have none).

dandydon on August 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

This is a pretty big victory for the unions ( if it goes unanswered ), especially after having suffered the recent defeats in Wisconsin.

Buddahpundit on August 17, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Rule of law is breaking down under Obama under Alinsky.

I say arm yourself. Heads out of sand please.

There was blood and there will be more.

It’s the left causing it all.

Sherman1864 on August 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Don’t expect this guy’s killer to ever be brought to justice.

The guys who’d be responsible for investigating this crime and arresting the responsible parties are also UNIONIZED.

HondaV65 on August 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM

My first thought when I read “non-union business owner shot” was that he had been shot and killed, but apparently (thank Heavens) he was only wounded in the arm. That’s bad enough, though!

I wonder if the shooter intended to wound Mr. King, or to scare him, or if he was just a lousy shot…

Mary in LA on August 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM

And Crr says it is the right who is out of control. The reality is that for every one stupid thing a rightie does there are 10-20 things the left does that is out of bounds.

CW on August 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Obama ordered this. Think not Grow up.

proconstitution on August 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM

hello? Media? ::tap:tap:tap:: Hello?

Jewels on August 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM

My grandfather struck deals between the shipping company he worked for and Jimmy Hoffa in the ’60s. Those agreements were the foundation upon which the Teamsters and Longshoremen work/get paid today. He said ‘I didn’t concern myself with what he did after 5p and before 9a ~ Hoffa looked out for his men and he honored our handshake agreements.’ Somewhere, I think my grandfather AND Hoffa are rolling in their graves. If there’s anyone who thinks it’s okay to SHOOT a business owner in the US because he won’t agree to fall into the communist mentality of the unions, they need to be locked up themselves.

If you work in a job that can A) be replaced by a machine or B) be outsourced to a cheaper hammer-swinger in another city/state/country, then you should immediately seek out a new career if you’re concerned about job security. Shooting fellow Americans is NOT going to solve your problems.

Biffstir on August 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM

ORconservative on August 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I won’t shop at King Soopers (a Kroger company), not just because of the union but because their service is so lousy and their employees nasty. I was there in the evening once when there were few customers in the store. There were 5 employees just sitting in chairs near the registers but no one working. The lights on the self-serve were still on so I attempted that, but someone came up and said they were shut down. When I commented that there were no other registers available, he said that the employees were on break. They were all just sitting there watching me. I looked back at them, pushed my buggy full of groceries up to them, and walked out.

SuperTarget is now my main grocery store with Sam’s Club for bulk items. Every once in a while I’ll go to Safeway for a few quick items, they’re closer, but they are WAY too expensive after the remodels they did to compete with Whole Foods. At least they treat customers well, even though they are also unionized.

Common Sense on August 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM

The Department of Justice says its Office of Inspector General is conducting an independent investigation into the gunwalking Operation Fast and Furious, which Congress is already probing. Attorney General Eric Holder requested a transcript of Sen. Chuck Grassley and Rep. Darrell Issa from their secret July 4th meeting with Ken Melson, acting Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives director. Holder and other DOJ officials have repeatedly said the DOJ’s Inspector General is doing its own internal investigation into what went wrong with Fast and Furious.

Del Dolemonte on August 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Wait until the shoe is on the other foot. Unions won’t seem so tough then.

zoyclem on August 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM

The UFCW is about to authorize a strike against the big three grocery store chains in southern California: Ralphs, Vons/Pavilions, and Albertsons. Those of us who remember how much fun the last strike was, in 2003-2004, are bracing ourselves. :-P

For all my SoCal HA peeps, here’s a partial list of unionized and non-unionized grocery and pharmacy/general merchandise stores:

Unionized:
Albertsons
Food4Less
Gelson’s
Hows
Ralphs (parent company: Kroger)
Stater Bros.
Vons/Pavilions (parent company: Safeway)
CVS
RiteAid

Not unionized:
99 Cents Only
BevMo (recent target of a unionizing attempt — so far as I can tell, the union has not succeeded yet)
Bristol Farms
Fresh and Easy (owned by Tesco)
Henrys (apparently being bought by Sprouts)
Sam’s Club (owned by Walmart)
Sprouts
Target
Trader Joe’s
Walmart
Whole Foods (owner is a libertarian — ya gotta love it!)
Walgreen’s

Partly unionized:
Costco (from what I can find, the stores that are former Price Club stores are unionized — not sure about the rest)
Smart & Final (from what I can find, they subcontract out to non-union companies)

Anybody with more info, please feel free to add.

Mary in LA on August 18, 2011 at 2:10 PM