The best and the rightest: Elle magazine highlights conservative women

posted at 7:32 pm on August 16, 2011 by Tina Korbe

As someone who enjoys a fine fashion spread, I was pleased, like my friend Katie Pavlich, to see Elle magazine highlight “the next generation of conservative women” in an article today. “The Best and the Rightest” briefly profiles notable female conservative activists and pundits, from S.E. Cupp and Dana Loesch to Smart Girl Politics’ Ashley Sewell and the Clare Booth Luce Institute’s Alyssa Cordova.

The article’s treatment of Cupp and Loesch, in particular, betrays its author’s admiration of these women, both of whom boast impressive accomplishments, and the piece strikes a curious, even slightly puzzled tone — as though the author, in true journalistic fashion, sets out not so much to advance an agenda but to answer a question, “What makes these women tick? And what is it about them even I — an Elle writer – find so appealing?” Cupp seemed content with the coverage, tweeting her thanks to Elle for its inclusion of her in the spread.

But subtle digs scattered throughout the article make it clear the writer doesn’t want readers to think she shares a conservative worldview — or even to think she’s neutral. She’s careful to remind readers that some perceive young conservative women as the “ungrateful” daughters of the feminist movement. She writes conservative women might use birth control to delay motherhood themselves, but object to federal funding for Planned Parenthood, “which allows poor women to do the same.” At the end of the article, she mentions mother-of-19 Michelle Duggar in connection with conservative push-back to Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues — and she can’t seem to resist a crude reference to the stories the star of Ensler’s play could tell about Duggar.

But the article contains none of the vitriol that conservative politicians like Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann have had to face — and, for that reason, seems notable. We’ve come a long way when the adjective “fair” means merely “an absence of unnecessarily cheap shots.” (To be, um, fair, though, snark seems to have become an indispensable part of commentary these days — it’s just frustrating that mainstream fashion mags, like the rest of the MSM, purport a degree of sanctimonious seriousness that transcends low blows and refuse to admit a bias. Better to just acknowledge the angle!)

More importantly, though, the article seems not to have fully educated its author. Toward the end of the piece, S.E. Cupp makes the keen point that conservative women completely uphold the main message of feminism. “The point of feminism was to give women a choice,” Cupp says. “If women choose to work, fine; if they choose to stay home, fine. Seventies feminism judged, took away one of those choices.” The Elle piece, while a start, doesn’t fully reflect the range of women who comprise the conservative movement: Instead, it seems determined to cast all conservative women in the same mold, calling them “baby Palins” (are all liberal women “baby Hillarys”?) and emphasizing their gun-toting, red-meat-eating, sports-watching credentials. But, just as conservative women respect the right of women to choose to work or to stay home, they don’t dictate tastes or hobbies, either. In other words, conservative women, like conservative men, stand for freedom, for the right of individuals to pursue happiness as they see fit. Yes, it’s cool that conservative gals are comfortable with their index finger on a trigger, that they finish their meal when a date orders them an expensive steak and that they’re open to the all-American pastimes of football, baseball and NASCAR. But none of that is essential to conservatism — standing for the right to enjoy all of that (along with more traditionally “feminine” pursuits) is.

Which brings me to my last point: Conservatives, in some ways, have unnecessarily ceded other elements of American culture to the left. In the U.S. today, the world of arts (music, movies, literature, dance, fashion) rarely reflects a conservative worldview for the simple reason that conservatives rarely go into these fields or weed themselves out when they encounter a liberal bias in the arts establishment. That could be because conservative parents are apt to encourage their children to enter careers in which they will assuredly be able to provide for themselves. But Breitbart talks about this and I agree with him: We don’t need “conservative” movies, “conservative” music, “conservative” books, (or a “conservative” fashion magazine that features an article paying respects to “liberal” women) etc., etc. We need conservative filmmakers, conservative musicians, conservative authors. Artists who, like any artist, create for art’s sake, but who bring a different set of raw materials and nascent creative ideas than their liberal equivalents. Who knows? If that happened, we might someday encounter a fashion magazine article that made no mention of Cupp’s conservative credibility, but, instead, highlighted her trademark sharp square-frames and beautifully blended peach blush.

Comments

You were robbed, Tina! Maybe next year.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I seen a article at The Daily Caller about 2012 conservative women calendar..I’m cool with that..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I think we broke their server.

SouthernGent on August 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

This blog is useless without photos. Useless. Its like blogger malpractice.

swamp_yankee on August 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I think we broke their server.

SouthernGent on August 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Too many monologues from this person called vagina.

Electrongod on August 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Vah Vah Vah Voom! Now let me cut and paste Tina’s pic in there.

Kini on August 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM

So I can’t post the word V*gina but Dick makes it through.
Hum…..

Electrongod on August 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Not only are we better looking and more intelligent, we’re happier too.

Fortunata on August 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM

So I can’t post the word V*gina but Dick makes it through.
Hum…..

Electrongod on August 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Interesting, I will try it.

Virgina?

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM

You forgot to mention her legs, showcased from time to time on RedEye, which in and of themselves are a work of art. Yeah, baby!!

OneVision on August 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Virgina?

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Ohh. Spelling error. My bad.

Electrongod on August 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM

good it’s time all conservative women get respect. more power to them and I hope their careers are sucessful and meaningful

unseen on August 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

As long as Michelle Duggar ain’t part of it.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Im sure the guys at DailyKos are just wreck with anticipation at the new Democratic Female calender featuring Nancy Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman Shultz and Barney Frank.

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Tina wrote for Elle? Didn’t know that.

JetBoy on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Miz Cupp is one of the loveliest atheists out there.

oldleprechaun on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Holy Remington! Who is the pure hotness with the long tresses and the rifle…..O_O….WOW.

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

ROFL

The centerfold will be Jeneane Godawfulho sitting in a giant ashtray while holding a copy of Mein Kampf.

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

From link

Firearms advocate and hunter Regis Giles

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Easy boy. She’s armed.

And also 20, old man!

BacaDog on August 16, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I agree!..Wow!..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Man I use to have a krush on Kelly Ann. Back when she was one of the few conservative women willing to go on TV and fight it out.

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I’ve been told that I don’t fit the stereotype of what a conservative woman is. Conservative women are supposed to be…Michelle Duggar types-or maybe Phyllis Schafly.

$%^& that!

Conservative women of MY generation-Gen. X-are conservative…but on our OWN terms.
This ain’t yo’ mama’s conservatism.
Siddown. Shuddup. Hang on!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Topless, wearing a thong.

JetBoy on August 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I suppose I should have taken time to read the accompanying article rather than drooling. She’s can join my pantheon of gun hotness:

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Kate Obenshain, Star Parker, Monica Crowley, New York Republican Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle, Washington Republican Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, North Carolina Republican Rep. Renee Ellmers, Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Andrea Tantaros, S.E. Cupp, and Minnesota Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann.

This is who they listed in the calendar..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM

She’s the sister of Hanna and the daughter of Doug.

CTSherman on August 16, 2011 at 7:57 PM

She’s = she.

I’m a little trembly right now from all that female yum yum.

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM

OT and no joke:
Obama frets over ‘lone wolf’ attack as Sept 11 looms

“When you’ve got one person who is deranged or driven by a hateful ideology they can do a lot of damage and it’s a lot harder to trace those lone wolf operators,” he added.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM

This is who they listed in the calendar..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 7:57 PM

FYI: I’m ONE day younger than Michelle Malkin
Neener.
*ducks*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Im no less guilty I admit I went to the site to see what her name was :)

reminds me of the time on here when they had the “Vent” video and some guy appeared driving all the guys nuts.

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

CTSherman on August 16, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Good info..Thanks..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Topless, wearing a thong.

JetBoy on August 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Why Jet, I didn’t know you leaned that way…
*runs for life*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

S.E. Cupp is Da Bomb!

SWLiP on August 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM

LoL!..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Yeah…that was me.

*sniffs, hitches up pants*

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I wonder if the Snortees Ad girl is conservative..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I wonder if the Snortees Ad girl is conservative?..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM

S.E. Cupp is Da Bomb!

SWLiP on August 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

My guess is that she’s a natural redhead.
Lucky!
MY red hair comes courtesy of L’Oreal.
*pout*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Topless, wearing a thong.
JetBoy on August 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Never before have I projectile vomited across the entire room, and I say that as a dude who once spent entire nights in Subic City bars drinking MoJo.

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

You were robbed, Tina! Maybe next year.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I think Tina was a lock until she ate the deep-fried butter in Iowa. Maybe next year. :-)

joejm65 on August 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

joejm65 on August 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Heh.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM

joejm65 on August 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Yeah!

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Not only are we better looking and more intelligent, we’re happier too

Fortunata on August 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM
…especially if we’re short and wear glasses.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM

William Amos on August 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM

FTW!

ramrants on August 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM

What?!!?..No Meghyn McCain?!?..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM

As someone who enjoys a fine fashion spread…

I was expecting some photos slightly larger than postage stamps. And even in miniature, could they have used a more unflattering picture of the lovely S.E. Cupp? Or perhaps this is an on-line version of the story and one needs to buy the issue to see the rest?

Buy Danish on August 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Do you have an overbite too….because I have this….thing…about girls with glasses and an overbite.

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Want to see Michelle Malkin……;)

dec5 on August 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM

He’s running in fear.

What was awesome about your link was it’s Canadian and most of the 50 comments were anti-Obama.
Good. Much of the world is finally understanding what a cluster&uck he actually is.

CTSherman on August 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Want to see Michelle Malkin……;)

dec5 on August 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Wanna see Jesse Malkin.
Mr. Boss Emeritus is reeeally easy on the eyes!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Thanks for bringing an interesting Elle article to us, AP … er, Tina.

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM

He’s running in fear.

CTSherman on August 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Yes, and he made a mistake engaging Perry. Perry will not back down from this twerp.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Regis Giles, you, young lady, are incredibly beautiful.

JohnGalt23 on August 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Twerp?
*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:20 PM

No post for the election?

andy85719 on August 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

So I can’t post the word V*gina but Dick makes it through.
Hum…..

Electrongod on August 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Interesting, I will try it.

Virgina?

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM

The filter software, (a program called ‘Filter Nazi’), doesn’t care what goes into the article. Makes sense; it would be asking too much of the filter to modify itself based on each article.

slickwillie2001 on August 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM
Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Ha!!I love you both. But it’s true, in my case anyway. *Dang!! Woo!! Preens in mirror*

Fortunata on August 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Fortunata on August 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM

To quote Miles Gloriosus in ‘A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum: I am my own ideal.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM

No post for the election?

andy85719 on August 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I was wondering the same thing..:)

Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Topless, wearing a thong.
JetBoy on August 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Bish, please tell me JetBoy wasn’t describing in that post what he was wearing and that maybe he was referring to one of the gals in the Elle article, or something. Given your reaction, I’m assuming the worst.

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Sorry Tina, but isn’t that a little like criticizing a Jew because he or she doesn’t want to immigrate to Iran? After all, Jews are pretty rare these days inside Iran, aren’t they?

We haven’t so much “ceded” these areas as we have been “driven out”. The hostility is real. The persecution vicious. There is little wonder that most conservatives would rather choose a vocation where they feel relatively “safe”, rather than invite misery and mistreatment upon themselves by willfully hurling themselves, kamikaze style, into the cesspool of a liberal stronghold (such as Hollywood).

My collie says:

Oh yes, and just one more thing, Tina. Before you offer up that old Nietzschean cliche that says “that which does not kill me only serves to make me stronger”, let me also remind you of that other little Nietzschean gem, namely “be careful about staring into the abyss, because the abyss stares back.”

If you’re wondering what collie meant by that, it’s a warning that it is far too easy to find that you have BECOME the very thing that you loathe and struggle against. We see it happen to the people that we send to Congress all the time.

CyberCipher on August 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I’ve seen a picture of Jetboy and he’s gorgeous. Still, I *think* I’m safe in that Boehner would rather shag me. Close, though.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Behave! Oooh no Missus…

Fortunata on August 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM

This from an Elle author? Has she SEEN her magazine? It promotes horrible body image, expensive live styles. Those are feminist ideals?

Chitownmom on August 16, 2011 at 8:34 PM

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I agree with Perry and he was right in not backing down his comment. Problem is, I feel the same way about most of the resident politicos in DC.

CTSherman on August 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM

That’s very funny Miss Tina, not very likely though.

kellyjane on August 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Fortunata on August 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM

You Boehn it, you own it. ;-)

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I read that artists like the word “liberal” rather than “conservative” because it is an image of free creativity, when it is actually a conservative philosophy that is about freedom and choices.

After working with liberals for over a decade, weeding yourself out is the only option for fear of catching the sickness.

HellCat on August 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I find it interesting that the Democrats call themselves the party of both women and Blacks. And yet while they always win around 90% of the Black vote, the Democrats face a constant struggle to win a slim majority of the woman’s vote (without which they are doomed to lose most elections).

So regardless of whether they get 53% of the woman’s vote (and usually win) or 48% of the woman’s vote (and usually lose), they still insist that approximately half the female population is voting against their own interests.

The real reason that they hate Palin and Bachmann so much, is that they are terrified of young teenage girls viewing these strong, attractive, charismatic women as role models.

ardenenoch on August 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM

In a hundred page Special Edition, Farm’s Life highlighted lefty sows like Roseanne Barr, Rosie O’Donnell, Joy Behar, Sandra Bernhard. Janet Reno, Helen Thomas, Kathy Griffin, to name a few .

bayview on August 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Author is Nina Burleigh. Thought I recognized the name. From Wikipedia:

In a 1998 essay for the magazine Mirabella, Burleigh described her “thrill” in noticing that, while aboard Air Force One during her time as a White House correspondent for Time, President Bill Clinton found her attractive. Howard Kurtz of The Washington Post reported that she had said; “I’d be happy to give him [oral sex] just to thank him for keeping abortion legal”[10]

inviolet on August 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Sorry, Tina, but Elle magazine is something akin to a female version of Maxim. There is exactly Zero thinking going on there. When you use the word “feminism” in a written piece, every reader gets a little stupider.

And written by one of Clinton’s knob-wenches? Good grief, child.

Jaibones on August 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Conservative women, like Michele Bachmann, need to know when Elvis’ birthday is.

Clue: it usually isn’t the day you die.

profitsbeard on August 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM

MY red hair comes courtesy of L’Oreal.
*pout*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Red hair, whether natural or otherwise, is very attractive.

And the pout only makes you moreso.

I’m sure that no matter what color your hair is, you are beautiful inside and out.

UltimateBob on August 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM

inviolet on August 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Nice. Very ladylike.

I don’t suppose she realizes that her stupid comments set the “feminism” movement back about 4 decades.

UltimateBob on August 16, 2011 at 10:34 PM

S.E. Cupp, hot as the devil and legs up to there, and just about my age too (I’m almost 25 ladies birthday is 9/1)

Regis Giles, very nice but a bit young for. Also, going anywhere near her dad would probably leave me deader than walking into Pakistan with a big American flag

The others, well they’re just a BIT older than me.

SgtSVJones on August 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Well, Cupp is the only one mentioned with whose work I am familiar, but I’ve found it a very accurate general rule that conservative women writers/thinkers/activists/politicians tend to be both smarter and better looking than their counterparts on the left, but it goes beyond such objective considerations, I think.

Irrespective of their specific physical appearances, most conservative women are attractive people – meaning they are genuinely open to communicating with others, and with a default favorable assumption about others. They are just nicer people to be around, so their looks are improved by their attitude.

Conversely, leftist women tend to be dour and angry, perhaps damaged people, perhaps the Penile Patriarchy has oppressed them to the point where all they can do is hate men, hate life, and bitch about both. Far be it from me to say they don’t have every right to do just that – I only say it doesn’t necessarily enhance their attraction or approachability.

It’s just hard to talk to someone while making sure they aren’t within reach of anything sharp.

Adjoran on August 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM

What?!!?..No Meghyn McCain?!?..:)
Dire Straits on August 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM

AP, is that you??

whatcat on August 17, 2011 at 1:12 AM

First, I need to wipe the drool off the screen, after reading all these comments!!!! How many were on the ACTUAL article vs. the ladies?? LOLOL

Prosaic person that I am at 7 am………..here’s one!!

Maybe David Mamet will open the gate for conservatism in Hollywood, now that his book is out.

Maybe that is wishful thinking……..

herm2416 on August 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Regis Giles, you, young lady, are incredibly beautiful.

JohnGalt23 on August 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM

A conservative beauty who can handle a rifle. If we had more women like this, of any age, we wouldn’t need viagra.

SKYFOX on August 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM

As someone who enjoys a fine fashion spread, I was pleased, like my friend Katie Pavlich, to see Elle magazine highlight “the next generation of conservative normal women” in an article today.

I hated striking “conservative” but I had a point to make.

Akzed on August 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Judging by her appearance (illegal profiling) guess which party Rosie O’Donnell supports.

seven on August 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Could they have found a worse picture of SE Cupp?

Rocks on August 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM