Obama on bus tour: I’ll never apologize for being reasonable

posted at 4:45 pm on August 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

Fair enough. How about apologizing for everything else?

I can’t believe I thought this bus tour was a bad idea. Good lord — it’s a bona fide content goldmine. Now I’m glad I’m paying for it.

Hitting back against an emboldened GOP, President Barack Obama launched a rare direct attack Monday on the Republican presidential field, criticizing his potential 2012 rivals for their blanket opposition to any deficit-cutting compromise involving new taxes…

“You’ve got to be willing to compromise to move the country forward,” the president said later in the day as he delivered the same message at a town hall in Decorah, Iowa…

“I make no apologies for being reasonable,” Obama declared as he stood in front of a cheery red barn, surrounded by bales of hay.

Remember how reasonable he was when he shamelessly broke his campaign promises about entitlement reform? And how, when Paul Ryan got exasperated at the lack of leadership on this issue of utmost fiscal gravity, he risked political destruction to offer his own solution instead — and got dumped on by Obama at a televised press conference for his trouble? That was pretty reasonable. How about when the “grand bargain” for the debt-ceiling deal was just about to come together, replete with $800 billion in new tax revenues, when Obama suddenly decided he needed another $400 billion in revenue or else his base would be grumpy? That was the end of the bargain, and the bill that did finally pass, of course, produced nothing in revenue. And yet, somehow, on the stump it’s all the GOP’s fault for not putting “country first” and compromising. Reasonable.

In case it’s not instantly obvious what he’s up to here, read Norman Ornstein’s piece at TNR about how an unpopular Democrat once won reelection by dumping on a “do-nothing Congress.” Six months ago, Obama’s model for reelection was Reagan ’84: All he had to do was wait for the economy to wake up and he’d glide to a landslide. Now that we know the economy will be comatose for the foreseeable future, he’s dropping Reagan and shifting to Truman ’48. If he can’t get traction by claiming his problems are all Congress’s fault, who knows where he’ll go next. Wilson ’12? Buchanan ’56? Adams ’96? It’d better be good because there are some mighty loud alarm bells already ringing.

Here’s Chuck Todd commending Obama for having “raised the bar” by promising to offer an economic plan that doesn’t actually exist yet. I wonder if it’ll be as exciting as that Obama budget that lost 97-0 in the Senate. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama on bus tour: I’ll never apologize for being reasonable

FIFY

Dr Evil on August 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

This statement has to be the Obamateurism of the year. Standing amidst the rubble of a once-strong and glorious America, Obama proudly wipes the grime from his face and utters heroically: “I’ll never apologize for being a jerk bad at math a socialist reasonable… yeah, that’s the ticket.”

beatcanvas on August 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

When you think a massive central government controlling the little people is reasonable, then I can see why he doesn;t think he needs to apologize.

darwin on August 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

That’s what I’ll always remember his presidency for…being a reasonable fella. /

scalleywag on August 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Does His Eminence ever spend any real time in the Black Hearse? Does He sleep in it? Where’s Moochelle?

Sure glad this is not a campaign trip or else Ms Debbie would have to pay for it. As it is, we all are.

Dingbat63 on August 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

on a related not… Helen Thomas just announced she will never apologize for being too damn sexy.

Ampersand on August 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

This post is purely out of frustration with my job “search” – been out of school for a year and there’s nothing.

Sleeper on August 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM
I feel you. I have a masters in architecture and I am a cook at a restaurant.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

It breaks my heart to yours and other stories. Good Lord, it’s like someone pulled a plug. My best hopes and prayers for you.

katy the mean old lady on August 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM

You can thank your parents for believing in the ‘something for nothing’ promise of greater national wealth through more government spending combined with lower taxes
bayam on August 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Mind your own damn business. You know nothing of their parents.

katy the mean old lady on August 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM

My only question: Is he riding in the back of the bus?

He always leads from behind…/

OnlyOrange on August 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Ed Schultz just informed me….

Ampersand on August 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Obama on bus tour: I’ll never apologize for being reasonable

This is a trial balloon tied to a straw horse:

Who has ever accused Obama of being reasonable???

landlines on August 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM

. As long as the Fed and my grandfather Paul Krugman have watched asset bubbles collapse, the outcome has never been pretty.

bayam on August 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Fixed.

Del Dolemonte on August 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM

The guy is lost in a thick fog without a compass . . . he literally doesn’t understand what is happening to the country.

rplat on August 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Can O’bama succeed?

Del Dolemonte on August 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I’d rather eat crap than listen of MSNBC and Obama!

PappyD61 on August 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

FIFY

Dr Evil on August 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Just as long as the subject isn’t America.

BigWyo on August 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM

My best hopes and prayers for you.

Thank you. See, you aren’t so mean.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

If he grew four legs antennea and ate grannies out oin public during the rush hour, he’s dtill get 40 % of the parasite vote. This is not about logic but about what the nation has successfully done to our nation -divide it into producers and parasite, responsible and irresponsible, moral and immoral, haves and wanna take it away from them.

You can forget your sound economic arguments -they were for another time and for other people. America is so polarized and so ripe for major destruction -precipitated by the deliberate spending our our future wealth by the last two presidents, coupled with the political manipulation of the banking and mortgange industries.
We don’t needObamacare and cap and trade to finish the job -the make up off the nation has a built in failure now. Frankly, I am certain no mere politician can cure it.

Don L on August 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM

OOops that’s supposed to be what the left has done to our nation…

Don L on August 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I don’t see why not. he has apologized for all the good America has done over the centuries and for thing America has not done. Why won’t he apologize for something he has never done?

Slowburn on August 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM

chuck just carrying the WH water….

pathetic

cmsinaz on August 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Bales of hay that have just slightly less common sense than President PantLoad.

Or was that some kind of backhand at his cabinet/Czars???

BigWyo on August 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Will he apologize for attempting to introduce already defeated Marxist ideology 40 years too late while simultaneiously tanking our Economy in the name of social justice? Will he apologize for shutting down American energy production? Will he apolotize for his advocacy of the expansion of the welfare state?

The lines have been drawn. The lines are clear.

Will America continue to be America?

Or, Will America Fall into a European Socialist state?

This is the descision to make.”

/I have ruined my reputation, through my passion.

Key West Reader on August 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM

When you think about it, this strategy of running against an unpopular congress while “killing” the leading Republican candidate no matter who he or she is at the moment, is all he’s got left. He can’t run on his record or dare remind anyone of how he has failed at every turn. So lie he must, to the end, the last refuge of a loser.

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Funny how it is reasonable for Republicans to “compromise” and raise taxes, but it is not reasonable for Democrats to “compromise” and actually cut spending.

Dasher on August 16, 2011 at 7:17 PM

From what I’ve seen of his campaign, he has nothing to apologize for…..

didymus on August 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM

From what I’ve seen of his campaign, he has nothing to apologize for…..

didymus on August 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I do believe that’s the first time I’ve thought Obama had “nothing to apologize for.”

Well, unless you count lying about being reasonable.

Ok, I feel better now.

didymus on August 16, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Thank you. See, you aren’t so mean.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Watch it pal. I took years to build a reputation.

katy the mean old lady on August 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM

From what I’ve seen of his campaign, he has nothing to apologize for…..didymus on August 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I thought this wasn’t a campaign trip…thus, why we are paying for it.

Dingbat63 on August 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Thank you. See, you aren’t so mean.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Watch it pal. I took years to build a reputation.

katy the mean old lady on August 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM

: )

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM

katy the mean old lady on August 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Hey girl, hope you got my mea culpa. Bad night. Sorry.

Key West Reader on August 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM

100 miles of 115 F temperatures in the California Desert barely budged the temperature gauge on my 7 year old car but reading that statement raised my temperature enough to spout steam from my ears. This statement was pure newspeak where reasonable is doing what he wants.

chemman on August 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Sleeper on August 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Don’t give up! I graduated in 1980 during the depths of the Carter presidency. It seemed like nothing would ever be good again. It took two years and great conservative leadership and I finally landed a job and a career, July 1st, 1982. There’s hope out there, we need to make it happen next year. Good luck!

PatMac on August 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

PatMac on August 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Give me a break, the 1980′s are over and the age of globalism has arrived. In reality, jobs growth in this country was extremely anemic in the decade BEFORE the near collapse of the economy and the beginning of the balance sheet recession.

There’s no shortage of demand for healthcare, software developers, and consumer web talent in this country, so you’d better plan your career according to the very limited number of sectors with strong job growth.

bayam on August 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Allahpundit, you missed this nugget:

‘You’ve Got To Be A Little More Careful About What You Say’- Obama

Just imagine the fun creative video editors are going to have with that line, considering the stockpile of caustic and stupid things Obama has said these past three years.

OxyCon on August 16, 2011 at 8:51 PM

We just ran into a string of bad luck, starting in Jan 2009.

exhelodrvr on August 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Slowburn on August 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM

My guess is that His next Major Foreign Policy Initiative will be a blanket apology to the rest of the world- for the fact that the United States of America ever existed.

In His mind, things were so much simpler prior to 1775-76, when the whole world was run by the likes of Louis “I’m Really King? REALLY?” XVI of France and George “I’m Not Supposed To Go Insane Until 1800″ III of England.

But of course, He’s working on correcting that grievous historical catastrophe. In fact, it seems to be the only actual “work” He is capable of.

Hopefully, in November 2012 we can send Him back to academia, and the golf course, permanently. Marked “No Deposit, No Return”.

clear ether

eon

eon on August 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM

“I make no apologies for being reasonable,”

Well, you don’t have to because you haven’t been.

Fighton03 on August 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Dollars to donuts the September economic plan will have something that’s a non-starter for the House. That way, the plan goes nowhere and Obama has his campaign theme. Running against ae “Do-Nothing” Congress will be difficult, but not impossible when you have the NYT, CBS, NBC and ABC on your side. So even if the House produces a dozen plans, as they can’t get through the Senate, they can be declared as “Nothing.” And Obama needs a lot of “Nothing” to win in 2012.

Fred 2 on August 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM

bayam on August 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Yeah, you’re a real bundle of joy and optimism. Can’t handle the facts that conservative policies turned around the misery index of high unemployment, high interest rates, and negative growth. Obama could only hope to reach the heights of the Carter Administration.

PatMac on August 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM

bayam on August 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM

If job growth in the 1998-2007 decade was, as you claim, “anemic,” what adjective would you use to describe it today?

Adjoran on August 17, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Just let him eat his waffle, okay?

MarkT on August 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Say, while we’re at it; how’s that budget coming along?

MarkT on August 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM

“I make no apologies for being reasonable,”

Mangy Scot on August 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Obama has never been reasonable. He has always been an anti-american fascist, a treasonist president.

proconstitution on August 17, 2011 at 10:01 PM