Ed Schultz: Rick Perry’s reference to a “big black cloud” was a racial crack at Obama, wasn’t it?

posted at 5:36 pm on August 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Larry O’Connor at Breitbart TV. As shameless as this is, it’s not the worst example of MSNBC playing games with video to support a favored racial narrative. Remember this classic of the genre? And it’s not just MSNBC in this case who took Perry out of context either. ABC’s account of what he said is even less fair than Schultz’s:

“Mr. President, you need to free up the employers of this country to create jobs.” Perry called on Obama to “free up this country” from “stifling regulation.”

“I’m a pro-business governor, I don’t make any apologies about it and I will be a pro-business president.”

Perry warned that a “big black cloud” hangs over the country.

“I think you want a president who is passionate about America — that’s in love with America.”

Sounds like he’s talking about Obama, right? Not so. Watch the clip, which includes extra footage added by O’Connor, and you’ll see that he was talking about the debt. In fact, that’s obvious to me even from the footage Schultz did air, which conveniently excludes the final part where Perry emphasizes that the “cloud” he’s referring to is our debt crisis. They might as well have left it in there, frankly: The beauty of the “dog whistle” accusation Schultz is making is that there’s no way to disprove it, even in full context. It’s a claim about what a speaker means, not what he actually says, so the fact that Perry’s clearly talking about the debt is no impediment. Schultz and his viewers know that Perry’s a secret racist and that he’s using code words to communicate subtextually with his racist audience, so all they have to do is look for words like “black” or “dark” and connect the dots, irrespective of what the speech is about. Short of figuring out a way to let the left read his mind, there’s no way Perry can prove that his intentions were innocent, which of course is precisely why they love love love this specie of demagoguery. We have 14 more months of this ahead of us. And trust me, Captain Civility will be very coy indeed about reining in his side when they start in with it full-bore.

Update: Can we at least set some ground rules about this before the campaign? I know that would defeat the left’s purpose of being able to declare any innocent turn of phrase racist and disqualifying as political circumstances require, but let’s see if we can pin them down. How about if they gave us a list of words that Perry shouldn’t use, ever, in any context? And if he stays away from those, no “dog whistle” accusations. Deal?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Special Ed!

Oh boy, we can look forward to more of this crap now that the LSM is scared.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

What a turd.

nickj116 on August 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

The next fifteen months are going to be interesting…

d1carter on August 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Asked this before, I’ll ask it again:

If it’s racist to criticize one particular politician, why isn’t it racist to criticize every politician?

Chip on August 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

The year will be very hard on MSNBC.

Imagine being them.

Schadenfreude on August 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

This incessant leaning on racism as a device is getting old and worn out. It’s lazy, and pathetic, and very telling.

What is says is…we’ve got noting else to lean on, so we’ll go with racism. Again!

capejasmine on August 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

“Unfair , but now he’s done” reworked anti-Palin bash…

the_nile on August 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Crap like this would have the John McCain wing of the Republican Party apologizing. If it has the Rick Perry wing backtracking, then I say “next!”

Marcus on August 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM

What a loony toon.

LASue on August 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Dick.

txag92 on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

No, Ed, if he’d been talking about Obama he’d have said “big black clod“. Pay better attention next time.

Fabozz on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Isn’t “racial crack” a racial crack?

exhelodrvr on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I heard today someone asked Rick Perry if Obama was un-American and Perry said “Why don’t you ask him what he is.” I like this.

Marcus on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I like Ace’s analysis of this one:

This is big trouble for Obama and the left. If they think the public wants to hear this [expletive] nonsense about “black clouds” being racist… oh man do they have a surprise coming.

We voted you into office to prove we’re not racist already.

We’re not going to vote ourselves into the poorhouse to prove it a second time.

Caiwyn on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

So “Black Cloud” is now added to the list of Words we cannot use against Obama.

portlandon on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I think RAAACIST garbage will backfire, right in their cretinous faces.

juliesa on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I’m really enjoying the First Post-Racial Presidency.

Cicero43 on August 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

What color did they expect Greyhound One would put out? Rainbow colored unicorn farts? Whatever…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on August 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It’s like you can’t even call a spade…

… a spade anymore.

Oh, wait…!

Seven Percent Solution on August 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

At a fundraiser a few days ago, Perry said he should conclude his speech because it was getting dark outside.

“Dark”, Mr. Perry? Yeah I think we all know what you meant by using the term “dark”; effin bigot.

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I seriously don’t think this will work. We have spent the last 4 years being told we are all racist. I actually think this will work against the president. If Obama was doing well, people would ignore this. But since he is doing poorly, voters are going to get pissed that this is all he’s got. being a victim (comparing himself to Lincoln, MLK, etc) and we are all just racist. Voters are not going to like being told they are racist for questioning what the president has been doing for the last 4 years.

Besides, Gen Y already uses “You are Racist” as a punchline.
I say bring it on. By making everything racist, you make nothing racist.

ramrants on August 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM

It’s so shameless, ya gotta give it a big thumbs up.

Like MSNBC, occasionally my dog takes an epic steaming pile and I just have to raise my eyebrows and cock my head in wonder and admire the handiwork.

rickyricardo on August 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Marcus on August 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Agreed. And this is why I can put up with some of his stronger statements because that’s who he is. Sometimes he will get criticized for being too gruff, but because of stuff like this, he is going to have to be to some extent. I don’t see him backtracking any of this. He didn’t do anything wrong. If he does, I would be very disappointed.

XWing5 on August 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM

If he had called Obama’s presidency a “Mountain of Depair” instead, would that have been better, Ed?

kingsjester on August 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Did anyone expect anything intelligent to come out of Fat Eddie’s mouth.

GarandFan on August 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

“That cloud was born in Hawaii, and you know it!”

DailyDanet on August 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Perry needs to be a little more racially sensitive. Next time he should call it a big African-American cloud.

Mark1971 on August 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Another thing, if Perry (I would include Romney in here as well, but he doesn’t have the cojones to do this)…anyway, If Perry is asked about this, his answer should be something to the effect of “if criticizing the President’s policies is racist, what is it when he criticizes my record? Wouldn’t that make him a racist as well….based on your logic, of course”.

ramrants on August 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Remember how the Dallas county commissioner objected when a speaker used the term “black hole” to describe an issue? That was John Wiley Price; who is black.
Oh, he is also being investigated by the FBI.
And he recently shoved an investigative reporter on tape.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Oh, gee whiz, what is the “dog whistle” behind the black bus of the perpetual campaign?

Spin another tune, Schultz.

onlineanalyst on August 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM

If I hear the term “racist” one more time I may throw up. They have used it and used it, and in my (admittedly limited) opinion, people are getting awfully tired of it. I think the race card is losing its clout.

hachiban on August 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM

OT, and not nearly as bad, but the main headline at HuffPo this afternoon is about how warmonger Perry wants to blast away at the border with Predator drones.

[pssst, dummies. They're unarmed, and DHS has been using them there for years--Perry just wants more of them]

juliesa on August 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

This reminds me of that hallmark card about black holes that the NAACP got offended at, remember that? Oh, here it is.

txhsmom on August 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Good thing that black bus isnt’t traveling to the Black Hills of South Dakota.

SouthernGent on August 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Alabaster Ed Schultz, the final word on race in America.

Christien on August 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

So, I guess if I said it is fitting that the bus is funereal black…that would be racist, too. Yup. Pretty sure.

Chewy the Lab on August 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

This is going to backfire.

Knucklehead on August 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Can you imagine what’s going to happen the first time Perry is seen on the campaign trail eating fried chicken?

Mark1971 on August 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Ed looks as if he is no stranger to Johnny Walker Black Label. ‘Spose that remark makes me a racist.

BHO Jonestown on August 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Is that big black cloud hanging over that big black bus too? Maybe the suggestion I heard yesterday that they should have painted the bus in hippie signs was right on.

Connie on August 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Was it racist to have painted Obama’s brand new shiny Magical Misery Tour Buses … BLAAAAAAACKKKK?

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Does anyone mind if I call Ed Schultz a TV slut?

NotCoach on August 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

That racist hick Perry is vying for the WHITE House!

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

No. Its only racist to notice it is black.

NotCoach on August 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Perry warned that a “big black cloud” hangs over the country.

The thought of a 500ft tall FLOTUS sends a terror through my soul…

Seven Percent Solution on August 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Mark1971 on August 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Michelle will come out of hiding to criticize his “choice” of nutrition?

txhsmom on August 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

You know, I’ve often said that Obama reminds me of a big black cloud.

darwin on August 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

“That cloud was born in Hawaii, and you know it!”

DailyDanet on August 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Clod. Not cloud.

exhelodrvr on August 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

It still must kill Olbermann that Special Ed still has a show on MSNBC

Chuck Schick on August 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Memo to Perry: Never, under any circumstances, say the word “watermleon.” Don’t even use the words “water” and melon” separately in the same speech.

Mark1971 on August 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Here’s the contact page for MSNBC.

It’s time to fight fire with fire.

Knucklehead on August 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Yes. PBHO’s bus is painted African American.

In fact most of my HD’s are African American colored.

Bishop on August 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

How can big black clouds bring Obama to mind? I don’t think of Obama as big because he’s so damned effeminate.

Next.

BuckeyeSam on August 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

TXUS on August 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

That’s right. Greyhound One is the absence of color.

SlaveDog on August 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Fat Eddie, brought to you by MSNBC, who also brought you “Lean Forward”, also known as BEND OVER!

GarandFan on August 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

America’s chickens have come home to roost. They are fried and delicious! I’ll take some WHITE meat, please. Wing and breast.

SouthernGent on August 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Reminds me of a black — uh… sorry…African-American woman I used to work with. She took offense, and let you know it, any time the word “black” was used in any context other than to describe the actual color of something.

Yet, she had no problem describing static as “white noise.”

CurtZHP on August 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

This is the kind of sh!t GWB used to just take without fighting back, and I would get so pissed off. If Perry is willing to fight back on this kind of bullsh!t — punch back twice as hard — then I am ready to sit down and listen to what he has to say. As far as I’m concerned, no GOP candidate can expect to be taken seriously at all until he is willing to open up a can of whoop ass on this kind of crap. Put it down, and put it down hard!

Rational Thought on August 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Times like these that I miss the wisdom of The Race Card.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Knucklehead on August 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Done. Thanks!

txhsmom on August 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Rational Thought on August 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Exactly. If Perry continues not to back off from his comments and play into the effeminate PC crap, then he will gets tons of support.
This time, we want a fighter, not a “my friends” uniter.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Mark1971 on August 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM

haha
Or maybe he should call it a big half-black, half-white Marxist cloud.

itsacookbook on August 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

It’s the return of the drive by media. Considering that MSNBC has been turned into the bash whitey network (Rev Al Sharpton has his own show) it’s seems fitting that they would employ this type of attack

I do have an exit question, when a Republican wins in November of 2012. What kind of relationship is Comcast going to have with the new Republican administration in January 2013? I can’t imagine them getting much access – but I can see their competition getting favored treatment. What they are allowing on air at MSNBC is sleazy. MSNBC’s low ratings show they don’t have a lot of support for this bottom feeding.

Dr Evil on August 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Actually, Mr Shultz, you are correct. The one and only motivation of me voting Red for the last four + decades is my desire to keep all races other than my own at heel. My current racial enemy #1 is a cartoon peacock.

Limerick on August 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Oh, please. This was a foregone conclusion from the moment the first black president decided to stand for re-election. A racial narrative will be shoehorned into everything.

Why the hell else would DNCTV give the talentless Al “Resist We Much” Sharpton an hourlong show?

KingGold on August 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

To further “the right is racist” narrative the left just does a Nexis-Lexis search on the word “black” and tries to tie every use to Obama’s race. You can’t use black hole either.

scrubjay on August 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

This is going to blackfire.

Knucklehead on August 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

/racist

Left Coast Right Mind on August 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

And attach, we much…

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I woke up this morning, what did I see?
A big, black cloud hanging over me.

The Kinks, (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman

Christien on August 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Send him your love, Rick! Blow him a kiss!

scalleywag on August 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

So how many words are verboten now in this new age of civility?

Dark
Black
White
Color
Brown
Light

Chip on August 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Fabozz on August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

MJBrutus on August 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Ed Schultz is a clear reference to Sgt. Schultz, who was in the German army fighting with the Nazis.

John the Libertarian on August 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM

To save time, I’ve compiled a link with words that will be judged racist by lefties.

Please review and avoid any words contained therein when refering to the president.

darury on August 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

OMG!

Did you guys hear Perry say, “Getting America back to work”?

Clearly a jab at Obama. Get it? Work? A black man? Black men are lazy? Obama doesn’t work because he’s a lazy black man?

For shame Governor Perry! For shame!

NotCoach on August 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM

So, now that Obama is at a 39% approval rating, that means 61% of the country is racist, right?

Nethicus on August 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM

To tell the truth Texas would LOVE a big black cloud or two to park it’s butt over us right now.

Limerick on August 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM

darury on August 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Hey, you never know when one of those could be a ‘Dog whistle’ or ‘Code word’….

It’s almost like the Left would just like to shut down free-speech or something.

Chip on August 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

He is a moron, covering for another.

pat on August 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Rick Perry Doesn’t Care About Black People. – Kanye West</blockquote

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Schadenfreude on August 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I will definitely be checking in on MSNBC election night if it looks like things are about to break the Republican nominee’s way. I took particular pleasure in seeing their sour faces during 2010 and the Wisconsin recall failure.

Daemonocracy on August 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Limerick on August 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM

So true. Now the worst drought on record in Texas.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Stick it in your ear Schultz, or the orifice of your choice. That whiny, racist babble doesn’t work anymore.

rplat on August 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM

More proof that these people are nuts. Break out the Thorazine for these moonbat kooks.

capitalist piglet on August 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM

You don’t suppose Ed has a “pinkberry”, do you???

GoldenEagle4444 on August 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Hahahahahahahaha, what a big black blotch that bloviating buffoon is on the integrity of MSNBC talk shows. Oh wait, they all nod and agree with him!

scalleywag on August 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Yes. PBHO’s bus is painted African American.

In fact most of my HD’s are African American colored.

Bishop on August 16, 2011

Are you kidding me? You just can’t stop you’re racist tendencies1

JonPrichard on August 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Black? Hangs?

Where’s Jay Carney to condemn this threat?

Christien on August 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I thought he was talking about Rev. Wright…

Karmi on August 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM

So true. Now the worst drought on record in Texas.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM

My grass is getting crunchy.

TxAnn56 on August 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Where’s Jay Carney to condemn this threat?

Christien on August 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Dennis the Menace is currently pestering Mr Wilson.

Limerick on August 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM

That guy Schultz, he sure has a nice set of jowls.

scalleywag on August 16, 2011 at 6:25 PM

My grass is getting crunchy.

TxAnn56 on August 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM

You still have grass? I have been trying to keep a little patch of St. Augustine alive and it is costing me.

carbon_footprint on August 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I seem to recall a certain lefty outrage over a video editing brouhaha sometime ago…involving a guy named “Breitbart”, if memory serves? Where’s their outrage now?

::crickets::

Thought so…

swash_plate on August 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Much like the late Hideki Irabu, Ed Schultz is a fat puss-laden toad.

JohnGalt23 on August 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM

“Can we at least set some ground rules about this before the campaign?”

Se si puede. We quit walking on eggshells at the mention of race and paste them with laughter, derision, insults and facts. Obama has no game other than throwing the race card. He got a very large percentage of white voters with his hope and change message. He will use every tactic to guilt those fading on his hype into supporting him again and they are alrady out in full force yelling “RACIST!” at every turn.

DanMan on August 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Maybe if Perry had called it a “typical, white” cloud, instead…

Christien on August 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Tommy Christopher has issued a retraction, and blames Ed and ABC, who also truncated the quote. So ABC did it too. Shameless.

juliesa on August 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Shultz can shove his comments straight up his brown eye.

catmman on August 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM