Panic! 1/2 say spending cuts will lead to violence

posted at 4:05 pm on August 12, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

I suppose this was inevitable, really. It happened in Greece. (For sure.) It happened in London. (Well, sort of.) And now, according to some new figures from Scott Rasmussen, nearly half of Americans think that spending cuts here in the U.S.A. could lead us to scenes of mayhem and madness in the street. (The odds on zombies appearing were not given in the cross tabs.)

Nearly one-out-of-two Americans (48%) think that cuts in government spending are at least somewhat likely to lead to violence in the United States, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. But that includes just 13% who feel it’s Very Likely.

Nearly as many Adults (44%), however, believe violence as the result of spending cuts is unlikely, but only 12% say it’s Not At All Likely.

Of course, reading between the lines, we’re not talking about cuts to foreign aid, or defense, or subsidies for llama farmers here. This all boils down to cuts to entitlement programs. There are a few differences between the situations in Europe and those in America, though. The majority of the spending in these programs goes to those who are arguably the least likely to take a cricket bat and begin knocking out the windows at Walgreeens: the elderly. If the deeper cuts start affecting unemployment insurance payments, food stamps and other programs which cut across all demographics, the picture might change.

Interestingly, further down in the survey results, we find that more than 40% of Republicans and self-identified Tea Party supporters think that violence in the streets might erupt in the event of tax increases. Given that the most likely tax hikes will be on “the rich,” though, it could significantly cut down on the number of rioters. On the other hand, they’d probably be considerably better armed.

Discuss.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Didn’t the US already cut entitlements, back when the welfare rolls were trimmed? I don’t recall any rioting or even much murmuring at the time — why should any cuts today cause such a ruckus?

I think the difference between Europe and the US is that people in the US still don’t really believe they are owed those entitlements like the Euros do — they want them, and think they should get them — but in their heart of hearts they don’t really believe that they are owed them.

JamesS on August 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I bought a Mosin-Nagant nearly 20 years ago. It was only $40.00. I guess this was when they first began shipping them over here and nobody knew jack about them. I knew nothing of their performance. I bought it as an impulse buy while buying an M1 Garand. I figured for $40 bucks I couldn’t go wrong and if nothing else I could cut off the barrel and use it as a close range, single shot last ditch weapon or something. I also bought surplus commie ammo. The corrosive kind. So I took it to the range on a cold winter day. It was below 40 degrees. To my amazement this crude, old, ugly warhorse fired a three shot 1 inch group at 100 yards with the military sights. I did use a sandbag on the bench as a rest. These were the first three shots I ever fired from this rifle. Funny how something with negative traits compared to more modern arms can become a thing of beauty when you use it. I never noticed any particular excessive flash either, so maybe some ammo is loaded differently or that was a carbine version that ‘rcl’ was referencing.

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM

During WWII the sniper with the highest kills was a Finn. He had a M-N that Finland had bought from the USSR to equip their troops. He didn’t want a scope because the glass would freeze in the winter in Finland… just iron sights. That and his SMG in case the Soviets could ever find him.
They did, shot him, brought him back, thought he was dead but he was only wounded and in a coma and woke up at the end of the war.

I’ve picked up three of them, and gave one to my niece since she needs a good rifle for her target shooting. I just do it the old fashioned way by the old US Army handbook on how to use a bolt action rifle.

Plus it got me involved in shellac which got me over to woodworking… the things I get interested in…

The best ammo for M-N is Czech in the spam can: next to no muzzle flash and you couldn’t ask for prettier groupings. After that the Russian stuff is good, and the modern Black/Silver/Golden bear ammo new manufacture is good as well and non-corrosive. At 203gr softpoint there isn’t much that won’t go down for that. And for the post-firing I use the old backwoods 1/1/1: 1 part each of rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and murphy’s oil soap. After that its your choice, just have to neutralize the corrosive primer in the milsurp.

You can pick up a M-N for about $75 today, still coated in cosmoline! What a lovely way to spend a few days, that is.

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

You’re right, despite the insistence of some here that the ‘left’ is about to start rioting, it’s just the active imagination of Rush fanboys who truly believe in their sense of growing victimization at the hands of others.

In reality, the last time this country faced massive ‘left’ riots, the country was fighting a controversial war and in some states repressing the rights of minorities. That’s not to say that the emergence of a true depression won’t fuel civil disorder. Before the US Congress passed TARP, Bush’s economic team predicted hat a failure to save the banks would result in massive bank closures, with most ATM machines shut down as well, with some martial order including curfews required to keep the population under control.

The US has a tradition of moderation and compromise among its competing political parties, making it the most stable investment in the world. As parties turn to more divided goals and start shunning compromise, the future may look different than the past.

bayam on August 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Know where I can get my hands on an M-1 for cheap? My cousin has one and taught me how to really use the dang thing.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM

rcl on August 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Nope, a bolt action Mosin-Nagant 91/30 can be had for $75 still in cosmoline.

Milsurp ammo I can find at $80 for 440 rounds. You do the math. Pay a bit more and you can get a bit more, but I like clean lines and easy looks: if I wanted to accessorize the thing I would get a girlfriend for it.

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Amjean on August 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Are you looking for a handgun or a long arm? Which is harder to get in your state? Go for the easier one. Any gun is better than no gun, but even an inexpensive .22 rimfire semi-automatic pistol is a good beginning. Phoenix Arms HP22A is an inexpensive ($150-$200 range) pistol. It’s not a top of the line gun quality wise, but serviceable and worth the money, IMHO. Anyone can shoot them accurately and nobody wants to get shot, even by the little .22 rimfire, so it could be all you need. But, no firearm can protect you in ALL situations.

If long arms(rifles) are easier to buy in your jurisdiction, I’d suggest you buy a semi-automatic .22 rimfire rifle. Marlin Firearms makes some of these. They are easy to shoot, offer multiple round magazines and aren’t very expensive. Also buy extra magazines for fast reloading, whatever gun you select.

Since this would be your first firearm purchase, and I don’t know anything about you personally to help guide me in suggestions I would offer only this last thought. Buy a gun that you can shoot accurately and with ease of repeated hits. Big guns and calibers have better stopping power than the ones I suggested but are significantly harder to shoot accurately and repeatedly. There are varying opinions on calibers. Personally, based on my experience I believe hitting your target is the most important thing to do and the larger the caliber the less likely it is the average inexperienced person will hit their target, especially in a critical situation. These are just my opinions, as I said. Others feel differently and I still respect their opinions.

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM

That was once true when the DemoRats were led by folks like JFK and Scoop Jackson, but now they have been taken over by the commies – aka: Progressives.

honsy on August 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Amen, brother. Thanks for the info. I think I will pick a few more since they are still ‘priced to sell’.

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Amjean on August 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

AR-15. Light, accurate, easy for smaller persons (me: 5’8″, 160) to handle and and everyone has ammo for it.

Who is John Galt on August 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Thanks to the genius of HA contributors, my new bumper sticker will be ready on Tuesday:

The BOY WONDER is

a DEBT MAN WALKING

honsy on August 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Why the US is screwed by globalization that has taken away the inherent advantage of being American, a birthright of every earlier American generation. In the present and future, Americans have to compete against their counterparts in Asia and India on a fairly even playing field. Billy (#16) really doesn’t have a chance in competing for his share of the world’s limited resources when forced to out-think and out-produce the likes of Li (#15). Unless it comes to a shooting match.

bayam on August 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Ooops!

That should read:

The BOY BLUNDER is

a DEBT MAN WALKING

honsy on August 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Amjean on August 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

My first gun that I was traine with was a Ruger Mark I, from the ’68 Olympics. I purchased a Mark III Competition as I knew I needed to learn to hold up a heavy weight at the end of my arms for extended periods, so might as well go with that. The thing teaches you about itself and because it is accurate you want to be accurate, so you learn to think about distance, drop, sight picture and all the good stuff. When I got the target to the end of the indoor rifle range and got 1″ groupings I figured I had pretty well learned about what I needed to know.

For inconspicuous carry around a Seecamp in 32ACP is my choice, but its for up close and personal only.

For large and ‘what is that in his holster?’ I have a Vz. 61 SA Skorpion. You’ve seen it in a ton of movies and its Czech design which tells you about its accuracy.

A good Colt M1911 is the most popular handgun in the US in all its variants, 45ACP. It was made to take down Moros that were hopped up on drugs and couldn’t be stopped by .38.

Figure out what you need between small and concealable, to holstered and unobtrusive, to holstered and ‘yes, I am armed’ to ‘what is that he’s carrying?’.

Whatever you do: practice, practice, practice.

And if you buy new, clean the thing first, completely, and learn how to do that. It is necessary.

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

his share of the world’s limited resources

That is liberal code speak which reveals global climate change syndrome. ;)

honsy on August 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Need some advice please.

Amjean on August 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

As they say in my trade, “it’s the man not the hammer”. You don’t want to be defenseless but good neighbors and friends are your best defense. Just like the Enfield neighborhood formed up a defense force you have to repel mobs with a sizable show of strength if possible.

The one thing in our favor is that the police and National Guard are usually a pretty hardened force not the PC wimps the Brits put on the street. Of course a PC chief or superintendent can tie their hands for a while.

In a pinch a revolver for close in defense is pretty fool proof. A shotgun with an open choke is pretty basic for home defense and limits unintended consequences of bullets flying 300 or 400 yds. You can get shot loads for the revolver as well to minimize collateral damage and make it easier to hit a moving target. They’re often sold as “snake loads”.

rcl on August 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I know that Classic Firearms has some priced to go. They are remaindering non-full kit 91/30′s: no bayonet. Went with a Tula Hex from them and the bore was all mirror shiny. Also got an SKS and it was jam packed with nearly a quart of cosmoline… and the Yugoslavs really didn’t care about doing a nice job on the stock… I think they did a rough sanding on it and then threw some BLO at it, then packed it in cosmoline. The finish hadn’t dried. Still the price was excellent and could only find one place for $10 less but would have eaten that in shipping.

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

That is liberal code speak which reveals global climate change syndrome. ;)

honsy on August 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Unlimited wants, limited resources. Read it. Know it. Understand it. Not a liberal concept in the slightest.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Another identifying term is “Peak Oil” – despite the never ending discovery of oil all over the world, including Brazil and Cuba, the Dakotas & Montana, the eastern Mediterranean off the coast of Israel – just to mention a few recent discoveries.

honsy on August 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Excellent info!! Thanks again, ‘aj’.

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

rcl on August 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Agreed on the shotgun! I have one of Mr. Browning’s Auto-5′s, its original barrel is full choke and Cutts compensated for sporting… I picked up a nice Cylinder barrel made in Japan for all those other things done with slugs and steel shot. You can’t go too far wrong with a shotgun that was in production for 96 years.

Looking to get my hands on an early Remington 870 or a 50′s era production Winchester M.12 for pump action work. I’m on limited funds after picking up a contractor table saw… but keeping my eyes peeled to see what pops up. Somehow just the thing I need always arrives just when I need it. Amazing what paying attention does for you.

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

My pleasure! I haunt a bunch of C&R sites… have about 10 of them that I check weekly and 2-3 that get a daily once over. I shoulda grabbed that M-1 Garand for $625 last year, but I just could not scrape the funds together. Needless to say I haven’t seen one in as good condition at that price since.

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

As one gets older you can get too much shoulder damage from older military rifles such as the M1 Garand. Hell, in the army, I had one jigantic blood blister on my arm and sholder whenever I used it. I don’t really know how grandpa did it.

However, I and my descendants now favorably use an M1 Carbine with M4 bayonet and several 30-rd mags. I like it because I learned city fighting with it, and to civilians, the bayonet is quite compelling. My female family like theirs because it doesn’t kick so much, is good to a couple of hundred yards and the bullet tumbles causing much damage.

One of my male descendants has two (wierd to me) really neat weapons. He has semiautomatic 12 ga shotgun and a .410 snakecharmer pistol. I guarantee you that anybody that empties a snakecharmer with buck-, not bird-shot will empty a room or his front yard rapidly. You don’t have to even be good. Misses count with a snakecharmer and nobody is going to grab it from you in close quarters.

For those who like .22s, coming back on the market are updated versions of the no longer made extralong rifle ammunition. It is now called 22 magnum. They have nice purse-sized pistols that use the 22mag. It has a maximum range of over a mile and a half. It looks like it performs against soft targets about as sell as a .380, but is much lighter and doesn’t kick. Of course, all the He-men use the 357mag, 44 mag, 45, and other heavies.

Old Country Boy on August 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Old Country Boy on August 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I dote on my niece. I got her a Desert Eagle with the Titanium Nitride coating for $900. I think 50AE is more than enough pistol for her. She loves it.

ajacksonian on August 12, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Old Country Boy on August 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I too love the M1 Carbine. I know many people dislike it, but for me it is the perfect all around personal defense long arm for everyday carry/in the trunk/back of the truck in case of emergency use. Light, fast pointing, low recoil, capacious, and plenty accurate if you have it properly seated/adjusted in the stock. Fortunately I bought mine long before the prices went through the roof. I am amazed at the prices on some of them considering their condition. The new manufactured ones look pretty good, but I haven’t fired any of them. Is it Auto-Ordinance that is making them?

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Hey there Jackson, this isn’t your niece is it…

rcl on August 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Well dang, soon as the riots start, I’m headin’ over to Best Buy for one of them big screen TVs.

I don’t know whether to loot a plasma screen or LCD variety.

I just hope the Best Buy staff sticks around when the looting starts. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

justltl on August 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Thanks for all the weapon tips!

Did any of you ever think we would come to this point
in our country? It is utterly unbelievable.

Amjean on August 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM

“Did any of you ever think we would come to this point
in our country? It is utterly unbelievable.
Amjean on August 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM”

Back during Carter’s 4 years I wasn’t expecting riots like are happening in England and here now, but economically things were really bad and I was preparing for the worst, just in case. I agree that the current situation is unbelievable. Especially after Reagan’s terms and the fall of the Soviet block. I underestimated the stupidity of the American progressives/liberals/communists. They apparently prefer Armageddon to prosperity and freedom. They’re so crazy they don’t even see that what they want will destroy everything. I guess it’s denial. Crazy town, as Beck would say.

Good luck with your gun purchase. Let us know what you decide to buy.

JimP on August 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

CMP still has pristine Garands. The last week one is s/n 5M+ and excellent shape. Comes with starter instructions. More and better info from Garand site.

Became a fan in ROTC with a Drill rifle. This one is better; it works.

For most folks, at 10.5 # it is heavy. That’s good and bad. The exercise is good for ya’ and the weight makes recoil easy when pulled tight.

The general’s mistake of clip fed is a challenge but one hundreds of thousands of GIs overcame. And provided grief to hundreds of thousands of Germans and Japanese.

Yes .30 M1 Carbine is light and easy. Shotguns are the “scatter guns” although 10 yards is good. There is no one gun or pistol that serves all situations.

Better spend bucks while they are still worth a little something. Get several and more than enough ammo. Practice is good and you meet like minded folks; actual people.

Just sayin’ but I am Life NRA. Recommend but it’s not for everybody.

Caststeel on August 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Panic! 1/2 say spending cuts will lead to violence

The half saying there will be violence is probably the same half that has their hand out.

rukiddingme on August 13, 2011 at 1:12 AM

For you all looking for inexpensive firearms, HiPoint has some no nonsense handguns, new for much less than the ‘other’ guys. Yes, they are heavy, ugly and not much to look at but they do what they are supposed to do :)

45acp will run you $189 new
9mm runs about $179 new.

I have them both, 9mm for range since the ammo is far cheaper.

The 45 is my nightstand gun, cuz shooting twice sucks.

exsanguine on August 13, 2011 at 1:46 AM

So visit your local gun stores to pick up the tools and your local range to refine your control over your selected tools.

If they want to party make it VERY expensive for them. If there is no downside to lawless behavior then lawlessness becomes the rule. Just look to France during Ramadan for your examples. Carbeques anybody?

{^_^}

herself on August 13, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Honestly, if I’m not already on that list, I feel I’ve failed in my duty to my country.

MadisonConservative on August 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I believe I have been on their list since 2009. If you read what puts you on the list, every American fits 1 or more of the criteria.

IowaWoman on August 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM

IowaWoman on August 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Agreed. The criteria are so broad that it makes the ‘profiles’ useless, except to justify obtaining a warrant on anybody they think they need to checkout, or harass if they decide they don’t like you for some reason.

JimP on August 13, 2011 at 8:41 AM

bayam on August 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM

haha

puke

Sonosam on August 13, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I think the UK riots have handed Obama inc their 2012 election theme. “Vote for us or it’s burn, baby, burn”

dhimwit on August 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM

The London rioters did not face a well armed citizenty or law enforcement. It’s different here. Besides, if the rioters didn’t have enough discipline to work and better themselves, how long will their resolve last here when they start dropping like flies?

Apples and oranges…..

JohnnyMojo on August 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Oh, I don’t know. The elderly might be the only people in the US with a cricket bat.

Count to 10 on August 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Cut, Lock, and Load…

hobbit on August 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Riots will depend on how far the left and unions want to take it. Unfortunately, they may not be able to control the rioters once it begins. Think of it as a controlled burn that gets away from fire fighters. We’d better be prepared to protect ourselves, cuz I doubt if our govt under this current regime will do that for us.

Kissmygrits on August 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Old Country Boy on August 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

You can shoot the 50 percent reduced load 30.06 rounds that most ammunition companies are selling now. If you load your own, you can actually reduce the load even a little more. They may get to the point where they do not cycle the next round, but you can still hand charge the bolt.

hawkdriver on August 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM

If they want to burn down their neighborhoods, go ahead.

My small town is fine, and it is just another reason to live in a small town.

Moesart on August 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Does anybody else have a problem with the K12.com add coming up in the banner and you can’t get rid of it? It really pisses me off that entities like Hot Air impose this crap on us. All pop-up ads should have close mechanisms on them. You disappoint me Ed, Allah, Tina.

Old Country Boy on August 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Panic! 1/2 say spending cuts will lead to violence

This leftist tactic of making up a dire, cataclysmic emergency…and using it to scare and herd us all over the cliff of their latest suicidal scheme…is wearing pretty thin!!!

We’ve seen this same tactic before:

“Global warming” to excuse taxes and unreasonable regulations.

“Global financial collapse” used to excuse TARP and corporate bailouts.

“Global financial collapse” re-used to excuse “Porkulus”

….etc., etc., etc…..

Now we’re supposed to believe that the world will end if we don’t continue the Democrat’s suicidal spending binge!??!??!

landlines on August 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I think there will be riots when Obama is defeated.

Amjean on August 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I think wars will break out if Obama is NOT defeated!!!

landlines on August 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

ENGLISHMEN NEED TO GO BACK TO THE LONGBOW!!!!

Mutnodjmet on August 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Oh Goody!!!!!!!! We get to play Cowboys and Communists!!! I love the 2nd Amendment, I get to defend MYSELF…..

adamsmith on August 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Progressives riot not conservatives.

paulsur on August 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Parasites gorging on the flesh of the host demanding it stay alive.
Liberalism is truely a disease.

Bevan on August 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

The Socialists in the English Government will go through several predictable phases:

• Studies and commissions to determine what ‘actually’ was the root cause of these riots.
• Breast beating over the failures of the government to help these misunderstood people and prevent these riots.
• More taxes on those who work to repair the damage of the riots, and in retrospect, determine now more studies by the government should be able to foresee the any future series of riots.
• Launch new government programs to create ‘jobs’ for these youths and have more social workers to improve their ‘self-esteem’.

In other words…more of the poison that made them sick in the first place.

Uniblogger on August 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Sounds like the public is in agreement. Violence might erupt… if the government does anything more than continue to spend more and more borrowed money to fuel the runaway entitlement train. Until the credit markets call a halt to the fiat money powered “next stop the cliff” express train and then… violence will erupt. Conclusion: the eruption of violence is inevitable so… lock and load.

boqueronman on August 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM