Palin at the fair: I’m surprised Perry’s running after saying he wasn’t

posted at 4:45 pm on August 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Scott Conroy describes this as Palin having “dinged” him, but it’s so gentle a jab that it barely connects. In fact, given that it invites an obvious retort about her changing her mind on finishing her term, I doubt she meant it as a knock — even if his entry (and Bachmann’s) has obviously complicated her strategy of being the tea-party savior who smites Romney. How bitter can she be if she went on to say of Perry, “I would be extremely enthused about him” if he’s the nominee?

“I was quite sure that he wasn’t going to run, because he was adamant until about four months ago that he wasn’t going to run,” she said. But she was quick to add that Perry’s change of heart was fine. “I was surprised that he had changed his position on that, but I’m glad that he’s going to be in there.”

A reporter asked whether, if Obama had committed that sort of flip-flop, she would be more critical, she laughed. “I probably would, to tell you the truth,” she said…

Even with Perry in the race, she said, “I see room in the field. Definitely.”

“If at the end of the line he’s the one left standing, I would be extremely enthused about him because I’m a believer in ABO – anybody but Obama. So, absolutely. But there’s still a long time in this process,” Palin said, adding that Perry’s entry doesn’t affect her decision making.

She noted in the course of another answer that the governor’s role in Alaska is powerful whereas the governor’s role in Texas isn’t (true), which the press also tried to turn into an attack on Perry. She got exasperated at that, emphasizing that she was describing the positions in the abstract, not the inhabitants of them. Weigel has the full quote. Needless to say, if she jumps in, the barest hint of conflict between grassroots heroes like her, Perry, and Bachmann — replete with rhetorical bloodletting among their respective tea-party bases — will produce a full-body mediagasm. No surprise then that she also got a question today about supposed tensions between her and Bachmann, which she deflected.

To my surprise, there’s not much video floating around of her appearance. This clip, via C4P, is the best of a small bunch; she addresses Bachmann’s answer to the “submission” question last night at the end. The chairman of the Iowa GOP nudged her yesterday about making face time with the locals if she really intends to run, so consider this an early step in that process. (She told reporters today she’ll make a decision in another month or two so that her supporters don’t feel strung along.) Oh, and she was also asked whether she could support Romney if he’s the nominee. Answer: Yep. “I’m of the mind of ABO — Anybody But Obama, at this time.” Maybe tea partiers won’t be staying home after all.

Update: Just found a better clip at CNN than the one I originally posted. The “submission” answer is here too, as well as her comments about Bachmann.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 10

Heh, it gives him a chance to expand on it. Sounds like she pitched him an easy one.

cozmo on August 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Too little, too late

Vashta.Nerada on August 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

This race is getting sexier and sexier.

Maxpower on August 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

She’s been stringing people along for months…

changer1701 on August 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Sarah, just get in already. If you don’t, I’m not going to be the only one wondering what these bus tours were in aid of.

MadisonConservative on August 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I already feel strung along, but another 3 weeks and a day is nothing. Especially since there won’t be another debate til September.

I read that comment on Perry a little differently. I don’t detect a “ding” so much as disappointment. Maybe she was expecting him to sit out 2012 which clearly would’ve made the road to the nomination easier for herself.

Doughboy on August 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Loose the hounds.

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Still pulling for the ‘Cuda. Everyone is just a runner up.

search4truth on August 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Interesting – the Romney quote is more interesting than the Perry quotes IMO.

I think I’m happy with my first choice. Perry is more for me.

gophergirl on August 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM

If the primaries come down to Palin vs. Perry, I will be extremely happy. I just hope that Palin and Perry don’t split the base between them and we get Romney by accident.

bitsy on August 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM

She’s been running for the last 2 years!

idesign on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I think I’m happy with my first choice. Perry is more for me.

gophergirl on August 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Me too. I think Perry has the prime qualification:

Can beat Obama.

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I’m with her. Don’t care who the GOP nominee is, ABO. All this bickering Bachmann vs Palin, Palin vs Perry, Pawlenty vs a coat rack, I don’t care. ABO.

LastRick on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Former politician goes to fair…that’s it, that’s all there is.

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

OR TWO?!?!

Come on!!

blatantblue on August 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Ahhhh….the attention groupie speaks!

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Her PAC is preparing for an influx of donations.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I’ll admit it. I feel strung along by Palin. I just hope she does get it. If not, it’s on to the next candidate.

portlandon on August 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Palin is being kind of Thompsonesque, no?

[runs away]

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Former politicians goes to fair…that’s it, that’s all there is.

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Hee hee…

idesign on August 12, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Be patient, already…

Once she jumps in it will seem as though she has always been running (onnacounta she has) and this waiting period will be forgotten.

It’s a long road to November.

It’ll be worth the wait.

turfmann on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I saw an episode of Sarah Palin’s Alaska yesterday. It took her 4 or 5 shots to finally take down a caribou that was just standing there.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

bitsy on August 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Yep. I’m easy that way. I’ll even take Mitt if I have to. It’s all relative at this point.

a capella on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

To funny about the vetting of Obama.

Cindy Munford on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

These crowds concern me….

There are a LOT of nut cases out there.

BE CAREFUL you all!

golfmann on August 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Me too. I think Perry has the prime qualification:

Can beat Obama.

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

The MFM hasn’t even started on Perry yet. A few months from now it’s going to be accepted wisdom among the uninformed “independents” that he’s a moron racist hick who thinks Jesus is on the way down here for Armageddon. It’ll be totally unfair, but it was with Palin, too. They have the playbook and they’ll use it again.

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I guess you didn’t watch the entire show.

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I watched an old episode of Hogan’s Heroes, followed by some episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond.

portlandon on August 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

“If” Obama had made that sort of flip-flop?

There should be no “if” in that question. Obama did make exactly the same flip-flop.

The reporter needs to go back and look at Obama’s statements to the media when he was running for the U.S. Senate from Illinois. He was repeatedly asked if he was just going to use the senate seat as a platform from which to launch a bid for the presidency. Obama repeatedly insisted that he would not run for the presidency in 2008 — in one interview he even said that it would be crazy for him to run for president in 2008 because he clearly would not be qualified, since by that time he’d just be finding out where the senate bathrooms were located!

AZCoyote on August 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

You must have missed the part where her father fell down a bank while carrying the rifle and knocked the scope out of alignment.

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I guess you didn’t watch the entire show.

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I watched the entire episode. I haven’t seen the whole series.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

It’s just like Palin to show up to get attention and then tell the media to go away. It is childish for her to poke the media just to entertain herself.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

OR TWO?!?!

Come on!!

blatantblue on August 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

She’s said on more than one occasion she has to make a decision by September. Granted that technically leaves her around 7 weeks, but she probably means early September. Honestly there’s no reason for her to declare before the Iowa rally on 9/3 at this point. The debate already happened. The Straw Poll is tomorrow. And the next debate ain’t til after the Iowa rally. So unless she just wants to get in for the sake of getting in sooner rather than later, why not announce it in Iowa next month?

Doughboy on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Saw that. She probably should have tried the friend’s rifle first given that, since she didn’t have her own.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Hey Sparky, tell the whole story…

The first four shots were with a miss sighted gun. When she switch guns she hit it with the first shot.

idesign on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

With Perry entering, we have a variety and a strong field…basically, because this is so important, I am focusing on who is in front of us now.
We pick one, and put all of our efforts behind him or her.
It’s going to take a massive amount of effort and money to win, both the Senate and White House, we don’t have time waiting for someone to decide if they want to be the leader of most powerful nation in the world…
Let’s pick one, get behind him, and let’s kick some @ss…if you late to the party, you can set up the chairs, or serve the cake.

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Palin is being kind of Thompsonesque, no?

[runs away]

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM

That’s precisely what I’m afraid of. I supported Thompson. I support Palin. I don’t want another disappointment followed up by a nominee that sucks.

MadisonConservative on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I think she is best off the cuff. On Fox I get the feeling she is filling air time.

Cindy Munford on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I watched the entire episode. I haven’t seen the whole series.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

In short the scope was off due to being dropped earlier. It was confirmed when her father tried shooting a target and consistently missed.

Scope adjusted, all ends well.

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Certainly, but Perry, just like Romney and Bachmann, will handle the media deftly.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I was surprised that she asked her dad if the rifle had much kick.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I’m in for the long haul. I don’t feel strung along, and if the person I support feels it’s best to not jump in at the moment I have to defer to her judgement.

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Well, once she had the friend’s rifle, she took down the caribou with the first shot. So, not sure what your point is.

Missy on August 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Everyone will until they win the nomination … then the media will do what they always do. Stab.You.Right.In.The.Back

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Hey Sparky, tell the whole story…

idesign on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I watch Buck McNeely shoot, and that guy SUCKS! He needs lessons from Palin.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

You sound like an experienced hunter…
You sound unbiased…
You sound like an…idiot
At least if you are going to diss someone, do it with style, not some dopey anecdote that is so easily torn apart. It makes you look petty and sound like an idiot, but I repeat myself.

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I love Palin, I really do, but I am not going to wait around another couple of months on a maybe. Perry is my guy now. But whoever wins the primary, I will get behind completey. I can’t handle anymore “Hope and Change.”

XWing5 on August 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Yeah, because Sarah Palin obviously no idea how play the media.

/sarc

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

There is no way she will get away with stringing the public along for 2 months without seriously hurting her brand and credibility. At the end of 2 months the field will be pretty much set in the minds of voters. Perhaps she’s just waiting for either Bachmann or (now) Perry to implode so she can jump in their spot. Also, I don’t see any way she’ll get away with missing September’s debate without the media just ignoring her completely, which I don’t think she wants.
If her appearance at the fair is just to garner attention and say it’ll be another 2 months before she makes up her mind, you can color me unimpressed. In fact, she’s been misleading for a while now. Didn’t she say several weeks ago that she would decide on a run within weeks. At that time, pundits and folks at C4P calculated an early September announcement. Now, it will be possibly October? I think I’ll be looking more seriously at other candidates.

KickandSwimMom on August 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I impressed that she handled the press the way she did. I wish she would have finished her thought about PIMCO. Shows she is formulating some very independent thoughts and that she will be able to articulate them extemporaneously. Very good.

whbates on August 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

MadisonConservative on August 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I have to tell you that fact hasn’t been lost on anyone. It appears you have a penchant for backing candidates that use their supporters for a hidden agenda that does not include actually running for POTUS.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Me too. I think Perry has the prime qualification:

Can beat Obama.

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

What makes you think so? He polls just about as badly against Obama as Palin and Bachmann do.

Palin may be waiting to see how well Perry does against Romney in the polls after he declares. If he fails to overtake Romney, Palin may jump in. I dunno. I’m tired of speculating, to be honest.

ddrintn on August 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

So all this scope and gun talk will come in handy if we have looters, right?

Cindy Munford on August 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Scope adjusted, all ends well.

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

You’d think being the experienced hunter she is she would have stopped to sight the rifle back in, since apparently caribou don’t get spooked by rifle fire.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I guess people forget that the candidates are interviewing for a job, don’t be late for the interview is the first rule of thumb.
They work for us…something that presidents, and others have forgotten the past couple of decades…We employ them, they serve us, we don’t wait and serve them.

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Me too. I think Perry has the prime qualification:

Can beat Obama.

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

A ham sandwich can beat 0bama in 2012.

What if, Palin enters the race, the media salivates at the prospect of two conservatives battling it out – then Perry joins the Palin ticket as VP: Palin/Perry.

Has a lot of WOW factor, at least to me.

Rebar on August 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM

You sound like an experienced hunter…
You sound unbiased…
You sound like an…idiot

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I’ve been hunting a few times, but only mule deer, never caribou. Mule deer don’t wait around for the 2nd shot.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM

If there are any Perry people reading this, there is videotape out there of Barry Obama insisting in 2004 that he had no intention of running for president in 2008, and that he absolutely would not be running for president in 2008, back when he was running for the U.S. Senate. IIRC, it may have been a Meet the Press interview. I remember watching the clip online during the 2008 campaign, and thinking what a liar Obama was.

I point this out because it may be useful to have this video handy if Obama’s people try to make an issue of Perry’s “flip flopping” on the decision to run. Obama doesn’t exactly have room to criticize here.

AZCoyote on August 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

KickandSwimMom on August 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I agree. After so much time and so many organizational efforts by her supporters on her behalf, if she doesn’t run then my estimation of her really will drop like a rock.

ddrintn on August 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Yeah, because Sarah Palin obviously no idea how play the media.

/sarc

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

She plays the media like a child plays ding-dong ditch. It’s childish and in the end, rational folks scratch their heads as to why she does it. Everyone knows you don’t start fights with people who buy ink and air time by the barrel. Then to add insult, she complains that they give her a bad time.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

You’d think someone wouldn’t get all wee weed up over a TV show….

idesign on August 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

If the governor’s role in Alaska is more powerful than in Texas, why did she abdicate it?

Sarah Palin still has a HUGE problem with Independent voters, which Perry does not. If Perry catches fire soon, it would probably be better for everyone if Palin stays out of the race. If she campaigns for Perry, she might be rewarded with a Cabinet position at Energy or Interior.

Steve Z on August 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I agree. Some so called supporters seem to feel they have better judgement then her. It amazes me that they can’t take her at her word. If she does not announce by the end of Sept then I could understand their feelings. Not know. She is still the best in the field.

derft on August 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Know = now

derft on August 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I was surprised that she asked her dad if the rifle had much kick.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Based on a preponderance of the evidence you have provided here today regarding Palin’s hunting prowess, I can no longer support her in goode conscience. Seeing as marksmanship was my sole criteria, I am reluctantly moving my support to Huntsman.

Kataklysmic on August 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

LOL, I would not be surprised if some of the uber-sensistive Perrynistas here take it as a grave insult.

“I’m of the mind of ABO — Anybody But Obama, at this time

Interesting qualifier. Perhaps a safeguard against a possible late surge by RINO Huntsman?

I kid, I kid.

Regardless, if she runs she has my vote. I hope she runs, the more choices we have the better.

Norwegian on August 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Steve Z on August 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Of course you already know the answer, you’re just being disingenuous.

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Good grief. Isn’t that stuff about a year old now?

ddrintn on August 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

At the time, Obama said he wouldn’t run for President in 2008 because he “wouldn’t know what [he] was doing”.

He was right back then.

Steve Z on August 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I never really stopped to think about it. I would take several shots myself before looking at the scope.

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

OR TWO?!?!

Come on!!

blatantblue on August 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I believe the quote was in a month or so.

NOT a month or two.

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I guess people forget that the interview can’t be scheduled until the application is submitted.

Missy on August 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

she doesn’t run then my estimation of her really will drop like a rock.

ddrintn on August 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I will think highly of her, it’s just that she won’t be in the running, because we have to focus and get behind a contestant, someone who is hungry, and someone who can make a decision.
It seems like we have a lot of time, but we don’t…massive money, and massive organization to catch up with the existing party…it’s the White House and Senate we want.
The candidates are campaigning and we have some good ones, so I have no compunction about leaving someone who is “deciding”, “pondering”, or can’t or waiting for that dramatic moment.
I kind of like Perry/Cain, I like that “no politician” business guy on the ticket. Looking forward to whomever we choose to have Palin do some great campaigning for them.

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Then to add insult, she complains that they give her a bad time.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Because, of course, they were completely fair to her before she started fighting them – right? Were you a fan of Bush’s tactic of just sitting back and taking it? Worked out well for the GOP, huh?

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I think she’s waiting to see what the press does to Perry first. Her game seems to be to let the ABP Candidate of the Week get knocked down while she’s on the other side of town from it.

The point is to show primary voters that there isn’t a credible alternative to her before she puts her hat in the ring. If she were running months ago, Huntsman would be the front runner. In fact, I would wager that was Huntsman’s hope for winning the nomination–becoming the “credible” ABP candidate. But Palin didn’t cooperate and scare the easily scared among primary voters.

Sekhmet on August 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Come on folks….her reality show has to have drama to make it interesting. The entire affair was either choreographed from the beginning or exaggerated when she missed the first shot. I just love the fact they had the 8alls to blow away animals on TV! The PETA nuts must have been having emotional come aparts! lol

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM

You’d think someone wouldn’t get all wee weed up over a TV show….

idesign on August 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I was just surprised she didn’t seem as experienced and capable in the situation as I’d expected.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM

If caribou aren’t spooked by rifle fire, they should be OK with oil drilling rigs.
Just me thinkin.

Electrongod on August 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM

There is “plenty of room for more people” Palin said, saying she expected to make her decision in “another month or two,” though also suggesting that she could decide by the end of September.

“i don’t want to be perceived as stringing people along,” she said.

If Palin had a political goal today, it was to dampen speculation that she would endorse Rick Perry, which she did effectively, musing on the contrast of the “very powerful” Alaska governorship with the “not as powerful” Texas one and allowing that she’d be enthusiastic about him only in case he wins the nomination.

so End of Sept at the latest. I would say it’s more likely the Sept 3rd speech. that she will at least make it known her intentions if not a formal declaration.

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Watch Reagan, Romney, and Bachmann…..THAT is how you deal with a hostile media.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

darwin on August 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM

derft on August 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Thirded.

Kataklysmic on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Missy on August 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Well that is true in some cases, and since she is not submitting an application, then we have to fill the job with the qualified applicants who are hungry and decisive enough to take the lead and give us their application, and already one interview…

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

He was right back then.

Steve Z on August 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Yep. Too bad he didn’t take his own advice.

AZCoyote on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Damn – I thought she would endo Perry.

Perry and Palin need to be on the same team here – to stomp down Mittens.

HondaV65 on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Perrynistas

Norwegian on August 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I think I prefer Perryonites mirionettes

derft on August 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

No, because the job can’t be filled until next year, no matter what the other qualified applicants are doing.

Missy on August 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM

She had full control over what was in the show. I think it says a lot that she kept it in there. Most politicans would have edited it out to make themselves apeear something they aren’t. we she switched guns she got it ion one shot. The scope was shopwn later to be off. But still none of that had to be in there if Palin didn’t want it in there. She could have just left the one shot kill in there. Mitt would have just had the one shot in there and people wouldn’t know the rest.

style over substance is not what I’m looking for.

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

think I prefer Perryonites mirionettes

derft on August 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Rickrollers

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Good grief. Isn’t that stuff about a year old now?

ddrintn on August 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I’m in China and had to watch it over a technically illegal international satellite feed. Give me a break ;)

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I loved the lecture she gave the media about not vetting the Pimp in Chief.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Like most conservative believers in freedom, Palin is not afraid of competition.

onlineanalyst on August 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I’m watching her handle the media in the video clip attached to this post…what did she do wrong?

VidOmnia on August 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

ddrintn on August 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

IMHO, it’s a little early for the polls to mean much. I do know a little bit about Perry and I think he’s a winner. You can research his record, warts and all and draw your own conclusion, but I’ll summarize what I think his strong points are;

1. He’s a conservative. Although some may disagree about whether he’s conservative enough.
2. He’s been governor of Texas since 1998, elected three times, so he’s got lots of executive experience.
3. He has a compelling story on jobs, something not mentioned much last night.
4. He’s articulate, can give a good speech and communicate good ideas.
5. He’s a winner and can be ruthless.

The only thing that concerns me is whether he can put together the right organization and get enough money to match Billion Dollar Obama.

But that’s just me, what do I know.

SlaveDog on August 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I’m having trouble with my computer in my brain. Sorry Perryonettes. Old age sucks.

derft on August 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Rickrollers

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Lol.

Perrywinkles

gh on August 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Palin and Perry love their country more than their own egos.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I was surprised that she asked her dad if the rifle had much kick.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Let’s cut her some slack on this. Sarah Palin is physically a very light person, so that a strong kick from a rifle would affect her more than a heavy person. She just wanted to know how well she needed to brace herself.

Steve Z on August 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

She wore the press out:

Sarah Palin outlasted most of the few dozen reporters, photographers, and camerapeople who mobbed her on a visit to the Iowa State Fair that seemed aimed first of all at meeting the national press.

By the time she trudged up a dirt parking lot to the fair’s VIP area, only ten or so reporters were left, and we’d run out of questions. She looked up, seeming a bit startled by the silence, and drew a few more.

Then she vanished to shake hands with the Fair’s sponsors and other worthies. Her staff, though, returned with corn dogs for the press.

If that isn’t detente…

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Not2bright has never been a Palin fan. I’ve been reading his posts here for the last few months, and he slams her every chance he gets.

idesign on August 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM