Palin at the fair: I’m surprised Perry’s running after saying he wasn’t

posted at 4:45 pm on August 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Scott Conroy describes this as Palin having “dinged” him, but it’s so gentle a jab that it barely connects. In fact, given that it invites an obvious retort about her changing her mind on finishing her term, I doubt she meant it as a knock — even if his entry (and Bachmann’s) has obviously complicated her strategy of being the tea-party savior who smites Romney. How bitter can she be if she went on to say of Perry, “I would be extremely enthused about him” if he’s the nominee?

“I was quite sure that he wasn’t going to run, because he was adamant until about four months ago that he wasn’t going to run,” she said. But she was quick to add that Perry’s change of heart was fine. “I was surprised that he had changed his position on that, but I’m glad that he’s going to be in there.”

A reporter asked whether, if Obama had committed that sort of flip-flop, she would be more critical, she laughed. “I probably would, to tell you the truth,” she said…

Even with Perry in the race, she said, “I see room in the field. Definitely.”

“If at the end of the line he’s the one left standing, I would be extremely enthused about him because I’m a believer in ABO – anybody but Obama. So, absolutely. But there’s still a long time in this process,” Palin said, adding that Perry’s entry doesn’t affect her decision making.

She noted in the course of another answer that the governor’s role in Alaska is powerful whereas the governor’s role in Texas isn’t (true), which the press also tried to turn into an attack on Perry. She got exasperated at that, emphasizing that she was describing the positions in the abstract, not the inhabitants of them. Weigel has the full quote. Needless to say, if she jumps in, the barest hint of conflict between grassroots heroes like her, Perry, and Bachmann — replete with rhetorical bloodletting among their respective tea-party bases — will produce a full-body mediagasm. No surprise then that she also got a question today about supposed tensions between her and Bachmann, which she deflected.

To my surprise, there’s not much video floating around of her appearance. This clip, via C4P, is the best of a small bunch; she addresses Bachmann’s answer to the “submission” question last night at the end. The chairman of the Iowa GOP nudged her yesterday about making face time with the locals if she really intends to run, so consider this an early step in that process. (She told reporters today she’ll make a decision in another month or two so that her supporters don’t feel strung along.) Oh, and she was also asked whether she could support Romney if he’s the nominee. Answer: Yep. “I’m of the mind of ABO — Anybody But Obama, at this time.” Maybe tea partiers won’t be staying home after all.

Update: Just found a better clip at CNN than the one I originally posted. The “submission” answer is here too, as well as her comments about Bachmann.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

NoNails on August 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Had to click. Feeling ashamed of my ignorance.

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Nothing Compares: An Inspiring Day At The Iowa State Fair
Posted on August 12, 2011

It was wonderful to be back in Iowa today to visit the historic Iowa State Fair! Thank you for the invitation and tremendous hospitality, Iowa friends. We had the opportunity to meet more great Americans from the heartland and talk about the issues confronting our country today and the sort of leadership we need to move forward. Iowans have big hearts and a great deal of common sense, which makes visiting here all the more inspiring and insightful. Like the majority of Americans across the nation, the good folks here know that our country is in need of a restoration of the free market and constitutional principles that have made us strong and free and will make us that again as we get our country back on the right track.

The work ethic shown here by these farm families is so encouraging. The kids involved in healthy activities like 4-H and FFA are proud, strong young Americans who’ll grow up to help feed the country and run the nation’s economic engine – our small businesses. Keep up the great work, farmers!

What an inspiring day with great Americans. Oh, and the butter cow really is amazing… as is the fried butter-on-a-stick, the fried twinkie, the pork chops, etc.!

- Sarah Palin

Great pics, as well.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Smitty, @ The Other McCain:

More To The Point, Sarah Palin Has Weathered The Left’s Continuous Napalm Shower With Aplomb

Posted on | August 13, 2011 |

by Smitty

Dan Riehl:

Palin has two critical qualities, unique in that they combine in her. Beholden to no one, without fear, or restraint, Palin articulates today’s conservatism in a prudent, positive and cogent manner. More than that, the media, while much of it both loves and hates her, conveys her message to an audience far more broadly than they do for any other contemporary politician. I suspect, no matter who ultimately secures the 2012 Republican nomination, that will always be the case.

I agree with Dan’s whole post, but a third point (maybe a variation on the first point) is that she has already borne the brunt of an unbridled propaganda assault without crumbling. The more the minions of the Progressive Cthulhu strike at her, the stronger she becomes, and the more openly craven and stupid they appear. She rises like a phoenix from their ashes.

I can’t help but agree.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I’m more afraid of a cult of personality building up around Perry and working to hurt Palin before she can enter.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I just don’t see his record as spotless as hers so far. I mean seriously, I know her record quite well and really, the only thing I can find to hold against her is how she handled the “retard” comment – and that’s quite inconsequential.

Perry seems to have some bigger questions in his past record. I think it’s ultimately going to be the conservatives who are independent and aren’t afraid to go ‘all-in’ backing Palin, and the ones who are more cautious and willing to go ‘better’ than ‘best’ because he ‘looks like a president’ with Perry. On top of that, I think many people are going to be surprised with how many independents and moderates she’s going to be able to pick up.

miConsevative on August 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

miConsevative on August 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

but…but..b-b-b-but THEY HATE HER!!!11!!!1!

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Carl Cameron at FoxNews is an idiot. Yesterday, he reported that Palin was not going to run and was there at the fair to make an endorsement, even though Palin was there telling reporters that she may run and that she won’t be endorsing anyone.

Today, he’s pushing the story that she’s going to be in Ames and will politick in the parking lot. (She’s in Dixon, IL)

He’s the same idiot who reported that Palin thought Africa was a country and that she opened her hotel room door wearing nothing but a bath robe.

NoNails on August 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Wait until people find out about Perry regarding Gardasil/Merck, his past amnesty positions, his criticism of AZ’s illegal immigration law, his support of the Trans-Texas Highway, his support of lower tuition for illegals, his lack of support for a border fence, and massive budget deficits, plus the fact that he was head of Gore’s Texas campaign against Bush.

Right now, Perry is being hyped and is the flavor-of-the-month. When the layers are pulled away, he’ll be in the middle of the pack.

NoNails on August 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Great pics, as well.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Look at the size of the crowd in the third picture from the end … damn!!

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Look at the size of the crowd in the third picture from the end … damn!!

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Yep, even Democrat Joe Trippi was saying on Hannity last night, after her interview was over, that if her name was on the ballot she would win the Straw Poll in a walk.

She has that kind of energy and commitment among her supporters that you need.

Hannity also said that recently he sensed a shift, he is of the opinion that she will get in when he used to not think that.

He actually said that to her, he sensed an increase in her passion level, and it seems like he wants her to get in.

They haven’t outright said it, but I get the sense that Rush and Mark Levin both are wanting Palin in the race also.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Mark has said it for sure.

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I thought they were something like buds. Do you really think either one would get in a peeing match with the other?

hawkdriver on August 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I personally put nothing past Perry at this point(Alliteration HO!).

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Were you the one inquiring about Marcia? I posted a note in the Perry thread.

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

NoNails on August 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Cept that’s what I think MadCon is saying about the cult of personality (which they accuse of us Palin supporters) is that they will be so ga-ga over him, that they will gloss over those things. I already see plenty in the Perry thread who see them as non-issues and are upset with me because I’m trying to learn about them so i can make a decision for myself.

miConsevative on August 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I’m trying to learn about them so i can make a decision for myself.

miConsevative on August 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Someone posted a link to Kevin Williamson’s April 4th NRO piece on Perry. It addresses all the issues that I’ve seen.

Here’s the print version:

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Were you the one inquiring about Marcia? I posted a note in the Perry thread.

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Wasn’t me.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Oh well. Can’t remember who it was but they’ll probably see it. She’s fine but taking a break (for this thread too ;-).

gh on August 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM

miConsevative on August 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Precisely. It’s like those who loved Trump but just got pissed when you brought up that he wanted to soak the rich with heavy taxes to pay off the national debt, or that Christie supported the assault weapons ban.

Of course, then there are the ultrasensitive Palin fanatics who won’t allow you to say that Palin “quit” without accusing you of lying. I think that’s why the Palinistas are so much fun to tweak. They have some of the most award-winning outrage.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

SHUT UP YOU ROMNEYBOT PAID TROLL LIAR!!!/

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM

When interviewed in Europe recently and asked who HotAir readers prefer in 2012, Ed Morrissey quickly answered, “Sarah Palin”. Given that we are all quite well-informed (and for the most part very good-looking too!) that has to tell you something.

Paul-Cincy on August 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I can’t help but agree.myself but Palin is awesome and has NO negative qualities. Daman too bad she is taken.

Brian1998 on August 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Fixed

Get a life moron.

CW on August 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Palin stops by Reagan boyhood home

DIXON, Ill. — Sarah Palin continued her “One Nation” bus tour today here, the boyhood hometown of former President Ronald Reagan. The former governor, along with her husband, daughter Piper, and niece were shown around Reagan’s home; Rock River, where he was a lifeguard; and passed a statue in his honor. Ann Lewis, chairwoman of the Dixon Reagan Sentinel Commission escorted the Palin family around.

Palin told NBC News that it was important for her to come here, because “this is one of those places everyone in America should come to get a sense of Ronald Reagan’s foundation — to understand his humbleness and graciousness.”

At all two stops, she was greeted by numerous supporters asking for autographs and pictures. Palin also made one reference to her new granddaughter that was born a few days ago when speaking with supporter at the Reagan house.

A lot of the cars passing the bus take photos as they drive past. Some wave and a couple have then followed the bus until it stops to meet Palin.

Leaving Dixon now. Next location is unknown.

unseen on August 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Get a life moron.

CW on August 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Dude … you constructed an entirely different sentence. Just who is it that needs a life?

darwin on August 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Anyone catch this quote?‘When we’re ready to announce … you won’t be able to miss the announcement’

darwin on August 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Hahaha, that didn’t take long…

scalleywag on August 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM

darwin on August 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM

darwin, you might have missed the memo. That’s what passes for debate on Hot Air these days.

darwin on August 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I didn’t till you linked. I wish she would say one way or the other. Perry too. I don’t get the posturing to announce from any of them.

hawkdriver on August 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

hawkdriver on August 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I mean, with perry, everyone knew he was in. What does it serve them to wait.

hawkdriver on August 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM

hawkdriver on August 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

This is a pretty good opinion about that.

darwin on August 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Of all the reasons I’ve seen regarding my question about what is so advantageous about waiting so long to announce, I think money, in theory, would make the most sense. But:

1. Wouldn’t an increase in contributions happen upon and after announcement?

2. Would the difference in cost(s) be all that greater than what she is spending now…especially after the above number 1?

I’m sure she is fully aware of her status as the biggest name in Republican politics. It seems counter intuitive that money would be a bigger drain the earlier she announces.

anuts on August 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

NoNails on August 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

GRRRR…. I saw that too, and I was screaming at the TV. Carl Cameron is a slimy little weasel.

pannw on August 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Fixed

Get a life moron.

CW on August 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Who the hell are you and what is your problem?

Do you ever have anything constructive to offer, because if so I have never seen it.

You just pop in and attack me for no reason and then disappear.

Obviously, you’re not very bright, moron.

Fixed.

Now, don’t bother addressing me anymore because you are useless and boring.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM

hawkdriver on August 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Amen…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM

2016 is too late. Seriously. Obama and Pelosi were smart enough to backend Pelosicare (she did all the dirty work as far as I can tell) to make it almost impossible to remove after 4 more years.

Rubio will make a great president in the 2020s or 30s but he is too young yet and he knows he’s not ready.

gh on August 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

We can’t manufacture a candidate to be ready for 2012. Palin wont make it and that leaves Romney or Perry. I know what I’m getting with Romney and our resident Texans are bitterly divided on Perry. I expect he would be a better gamble than Romney, considering he seems less slick. Bachmann has really stepped to the front and I trust her. But the fact that we have only elected one rep to be POTUS is a point of real concern. Yet, we just elected a black president, so maybe it isn’t too far fetched. OTOH, the people who elected him were morons and racists and Bachmann isn’t going for that crowd.

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM

NoNails on August 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

And why wouldn’t a reporter report what the staff told him? Should reporters protect candidates? And if so, which ones? Obama? Palin? McCain?

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Delusional Bachmann worshiper.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Rational people don’t say what you said about fellow American conservatives.

It’s just indecent.

Not that you care the slightest about that.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM

You may agree with conservative principles, but you process your thoughts like a progressive. I’ll lay it out for you again…..

1) I criticize Palin.
2) You attack me.
3) I ask you why you are obsessing on me.
4) You blame me for your obsession of me by saying you are justified because of my criticism of Palin.

Who else justifies their bad behavior like that?

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Because the “person” he learned it from was not only not part of the McCain/Palin campaign, the “person” turned out to be not a person at all. It was all fictitious.

NoNails on August 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I don’t behave badly, so I have nothing to justify.

You however, owe me an apology that you will never give because you’re too obstinate to ever admit you were wrong, and still are wrong.

I’m not expecting any change in your behavior, so stop worrying about me.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Hey fellas, the last fish caught is the freshest!

Don L on August 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM

1) I criticize Palin with unfair nonsense I pulled out of my backside.
2) You attack challenge me.
3) I ask you why you are obsessing on me, ignoring your legitimate points of argument.
4) You blame me for your obsession of me by saying you are justified because of my criticism of Palin, which you already challenged and refudiated 37 times without any reasonable response.
5) I question your motivation for supporting Palin, I question your mental sanity, I compare you to AlQueda terrorists for no reason that anyone can figure out.
6) Rinse, repeat, for as long as it takes.

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM

1) I criticize Palin.
1.5) I make sure to attack anyone who likes or supports Palin.
2) You attack me.
3) I ask you why you are obsessing on me.

Who else justifies their bad behavior like that?

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Fixed that for you, you disgusting pile of camel s**t.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Haha, and with that, I’ll return to real life for a while.

Got some yard work to do, then some live music, good friends and lots of ice cold beers waiting on me to join in a fun evening with no stinky camel sh!t in sight. lol

Have a great weekend, all!

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Brian1972 on August 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Why should I apologize to you for you blaming me for your behavior?

Good gravy dude! Take a break from obsessing on me. You are behaving like a progressive!

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Why don’t you call his wife ugly? You’ll feel better acting like your normal, despicable self.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

That doesn’t do anything to help Palin. She is still a quitter, botches her interviews, mixes her analogies, and is stringing you along. You need to realize that obsessing on me doesn’t change that.

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Oh come on now, I love ya Sarah but we all knew he was going to run!

kg598301 on August 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Why don’t you call his wife ugly?

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Why, are you going to start objectifying her?

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM

it’s gonna be fun watching you be completely wrong

you have no intellectual honesty at all

just some shill programed to regurgitate BS at a prolific rate

a retarded machine

Sonosam on August 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Sonosam on August 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Does your grammy know that you are still obsessing on me rather than her? Don’t tell her or it will crush her. She lets you live in her basement for free and doesn’t deserve to have her heart broken.

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Hi there, asswipe. You completely ignored the fact that you regularly attack all people who like candidates you don’t like. Go lie down on the road during rush hour, and have a nice day.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Why, are you going to start objectifying her?

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Never have objectified any woman, you slimy little freak. You have, on the other hand, solely because they were married to a conservative candidate you didn’t support. Go see how long you can hold your breath, then hold your head under water for five minutes longer than that.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Amazing how many people seem to be “obsessing” on you. Almost like…you’re an attention whore and a troll.

Fancy that.

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Why the violent rhetoric? Why do words on a computer screen (that you know make you lose control, yet you still read them) get you that riled up? You should go take a break.

While you’re on break, call up Jeri and objectify her to her face and see if she appreciates it.

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Almost like…you’re an attention whore

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I have asked you to cease obsessing on me. That means I do not want your attention. I find your obsession on me as creepy and certainly inappropriate on a political blog.

So every comment you make about me is proof that you are obsessed with me.

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Somebody give the ranting primate a food pellet and take it out of the lab, please.

Thanks.

viking01 on August 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM

MadisonConservative on August 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

1. Attack Palin and her supporters.

2. Get it thrown right back by her supporters.

3. Claim: “That doesn’t help Palin, dude.”

What stimulating conversations I’m missing by not talking to this creature. /sarc

Aitch748 on August 13, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Aitch748 on August 13, 2011 at 8:29 PM

How does any of that mitigate the issues that make Palin unelectable? Or does obsessing on me something you cannot control? Ask your grammy to make you some warm milk so you can calm yourself.

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Don’t worry folks. I fixed my spell Checker. RonmeyCare is not coming up anymore.

O Cripes now its changing RomneyCare to RonmeyCare ever since I modified the custom dictionary. I guess I will have to edit it so that RomneyCare comes up when I type RonmeyCare.

I am telling you these computers are tricky.

Geochelone on August 14, 2011 at 1:53 AM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM

You have sexual fantasies about your Grammy.

That explains a heck of a lot.

Loser.

Brian1972 on August 14, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Dr Evil on August 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Heh. Interesting. I was thinking manic-depressive narcissist but the whole ‘issue with authoritative women’ thing rings somewhat true. Except I have seen it say good things about Bachmann.

miConsevative on August 13, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Yes but Palin and Thompson, both have sex appeal. Michelle Bachmann is an attractive mother of 5, but she’s not exuding sex appeal. Apparently there is an issue with sexually attractive women. Jeri Thompson is by no means an ugly woman by anyone’s standards. I am sure you have read the remarks by the obsessed one to the contrary :)

Dr Evil on August 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM

You have sexual fantasies about your Grammy.

That explains a heck of a lot.

Loser.

Brian1972 on August 14, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Stay classy, Brian.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM

eat peach pits

it will help the acne

Sonosam on August 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Explain why I praise Thatcher, Bachmann, both Bushs’, and Mother Teresa.

Stick to Palin worship. At least you’ll have company.

csdeven on August 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Histrionic Personality Disorder is based on getting attention through overt exaggerated sexuality. None of the women you listed would be considered to have overt sexual appeal. The two women you target do. Sarah Palin and Jeri Thompson, both authoritative women also have sex appeal. This is why you attack them. You have some unresolved mommy issues.

Dr Evil on August 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I have a confession to make. I am obsessed with csdeven. When will he/she/it be mine?

steebo77 on August 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM

steebo77 on August 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Never, because I am obsessed with csdeven. He/she/it will never be yours … he/she/it is MINE!!!!!!

However, I will share he/she/it in a mating ritual if you want.

darwin on August 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

FEARLESS, TRUE CONSERVATIVE.
Unafraid to convert voters of all stripes to embrace Free Market Capitalism and re-establish the patriotic virtues of America.

THAT is who I’m looking for……….WHO is that Warrior?

PappyD61 on August 14, 2011 at 6:37 PM

However, I will share he/she/it in a mating ritual if you want.

darwin on August 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

A tag team match…Youse guys selling tickets?

Gohawgs on August 15, 2011 at 1:37 AM

You folks are still feeding it. Please stop that.

Regardless of the lies it tells, it is in the bag for Romney, and will always be in the bag for Romney. The stupidity of others like it are precisely how we ended up with the worst possible, least conservative candidate in 2008. The stupidity of others like it are precisely why we have a President Obama today.

Do not respond in any manner at all. It presupposes that any response is meant to be encouraging, regardless of the content or context of your words. Doing so will only energize it more, and frustrate you more.

If it were a real human being, with a conscience, a sense of integrity, of honor, of decency, there might be value in attempting a dialogue or debate. Given that it is none of those things, such an attempt is a pure waste.

Focus on the topics, please.

Freelancer on August 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM