Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on August 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I just can’t let the week go out without making this quote part of the OOTD pantheon:

“No matter what some agency may say, we’ve always been and always will be a triple-A country.”

NBC’s Jeff Greenfield calls this “the lamest single line of his Presidency,” and asked, “What next? ‘American’ ends in ‘I-CAN’’”?” Jim Geraghty responds:

Great. Now he finds his veto pen, and he wants to use it on Standard & Poor’s. What the heck does that even mean? We’re silver medalists, but in his mind, we’ll always be gold?

I’m sorry, Mr. President, but declaring that we’ll always be AAA in your heart means jack squat to lenders. Obama’s policies have just run headlong into basic market realities – too much is going out, and not enough is coming in. He and his Treasury Secretary seem to think they can demonize Standard & Poors enough to get them to ignore that fact.

Say what you will, but it does have a certain wistful quality to it:

We could have used this in 2008. “If that candidacy leaves the ground and we’re not ready to stop it, we’ll regret it. Oh, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow — but soon, and for the rest of our lives.” At least we’ll always have AAA … and the Barackopolis.

Comments

the lamest line in his presidency results in one of your best OOTDs. Nice work Ed!!

ted c on August 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Hey Barry, maybe it’s time you called for a tow. Triple-A my A$$.

JimK on August 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM

OMG I think this is my favorite thing ever written on HA EVER!

I can’t stop laughing!

gophergirl on August 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM

I see a new ad campaign for the American Automobile Association.

aunursa on August 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Oh, Ed, you just ruined my favorite movie of all time. Now this image is forever seared into my brain…. Somewhere, Bogie is spinning in his grave.

herm2416 on August 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Oh, Ed! You can’t use an analogy that compares the GREAT Bogey and that powerful movie to that little wimp Obama! BARF. It’s a favorite movie of mine that had me weeping at the end (and I don’t usually) not because of the fated love story but because in the end “Rick” goes off to fight the Nazis. Never in a million years would I use a line from Bogart from that film in comparison to O.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM

nice Ed :)

lamest president evah

cmsinaz on August 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM

“No matter what some agency may say kind of commie poseur might be temporarily inhabiting the White House, we’ve always been and always will be a triple-A country.”

VelvetElvis on August 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Reality always wins.

TimBuk3 on August 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Pretty typical of the liberal mind on economics – thinking “the pie” will always just be there and they can go on divvying, redistributing and looting without consequence.

Kinda like Geitner’s “failure is not an option” comments.

Failure is most definitely an option. It’s a certainty with their policies.

forest on August 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM

O needs a Triptik to find his way. Great OOTD.

Beaglemom on August 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

This is exactly how Carter reflects on his presidency. He doesn’t care what the facts show because in his mind, he was the greatest. This is the attitude of a loser. A person who tried and failed and cannot face their failure. Which in turn the person stops learning at that point. One must admit their failures in order to do better next time.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM

This is just what I was telling the bank when I was applying for a home loan!!!

GO OBAMA!!! MY HERO!!!

BigWyo on August 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM

how’s the fried butter Ed?

cmsinaz on August 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM

He uses lame-a$$ lines like this because he knows it connects with the sleepers and zombies who elected him in 2008. Whatever it takes, baby.

Extrafishy on August 12, 2011 at 8:20 AM

This is just the logical extension of the silly “there are no losers…you’re ALL winners!” our liberal education system indulges in. Blech.

flipflop on August 12, 2011 at 8:20 AM

or whatever that delicacy everyone is talking about there…

cmsinaz on August 12, 2011 at 8:21 AM

“No matter what some agency may say, we’ve always been and always will be a triple-A country at war with Eurasia.”

- President Barack H. Obama

rogerb on August 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM

The car is officially in the ditch. Barry, you should have taken drivers ed before you jumped into the drivers seat.

meci on August 12, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I’m pretty sure that Chief Ø, being a liberal Democrat, doesn’t know that triple-A (AAA) also means Anti Aircraft Artillery. Unfettered spending has knocked out our economic artillery, so to speak.

ExpressoBold on August 12, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Obama’s new Standard: Ya’ll gonna be AAA, & Poor.

Yoop on August 12, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Question: what is someone with the cajones of fury like Jeff Greenfield doing spinning his wheels and wasting his time at NBC? I’m surprised Timgles A-Thrill-A Chris Matthews hasn’t demanded Greenfield retract his blasphemous utterance.

pilamaye on August 12, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Two Obama quotes:

…just like the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.

itsnotaboutme on August 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Let me be perfectly clear…I inherited a AAA credit rating

Trafalgar on August 12, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Aslans Girl on August 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Extrafishy on August 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM

the lamest single line of his Presidency

Lame, very lame, but lamest?

This petty little brat doesn’t just speak in platitudes and cliches. He thinks in them.

petefrt on August 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Extrafishy on August 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM

It is great in and of itself. I pretty much only watch classic films so I compare it to other films that came before the filth of today and it stands ALONE. I watched it for the first time a few years ago and my only thought afterward was, “THIS is what ‘four-stars’ was created for”. I rarely am convulsed by sobs at the end of a movie, this move was one of those exceptions.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 12, 2011 at 8:51 AM

The car was in a ditch and Obooba wee-weed on it, but it will always be a car.

Akzed on August 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM

LAME DUCK……...

…with Executive Order powers.

PappyD61 on August 12, 2011 at 9:01 AM

petefrt on August 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I would never steal your money, but I am stealing that line.

Extrafishy on August 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

A prized DVD of mine, no matter how many times I watch it. My questions is: Do we regard it as great because it was great or is it great in comparison with the vomitous ooze spewing from Hollywood today? Extrafishy on August 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM

We watch it at least once a year and I always need a kleenex.

It has some great lines.

“He’s like any other man, only more so.”

“The Germans wore gray. You wore blue.”

“Your winnings, sir.”

“Out of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine,” followed by a facepalm.

“Play it. If she can stand it, I can,” which of course became the mythic, “Play it again, Sam.”

“We can’t decide if he was shot trying to escape or committed suicide.”

“I was with them when they bumbled into Berlin in 1917,” which of course he wasn’t because no enemy armies set foot on German soil in WWI.

Bogie was just playing Bogie though, not consistently great acting. Sometimes he’s stiff and delivers his lines so stiltedly it’s wince-inducing. Then at other times he goes through a scene like a hot knife through butter. And they made up much of the dialog during the shoot, changing scenes around as they went.

The ending was added much later, where Rick says to Inspector Renault, “Louie, this might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship,” was added months after shooting ended. It’s poignancy is in the fact that they’d known one another for years.

The scene where the Nazis are singing the Horst Wessell song and are drown out by everyone else singing La Marseillaise at Rick’s instigation is moving. Remember, it was made in 1942 when the war was not exactly a settled matter.

Akzed on August 12, 2011 at 9:07 AM

This one’s a classic…

all the way around,

Museum quality. :)

golfmann on August 12, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Somebody call AAA

I’m stuck in the ditch here!

golfmann on August 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Two Obama quotes:

itsnotaboutme on August 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I don’t care. Obama is awesome.

/sarc/

Solaratov on August 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Obama is getting to be more and more of a lame duck, any minute now, while giving yet another tired droning YES WE CAN! speech, I expect to hear the name AFLAC!!!!!!! to explode from his lips.

pilamaye on August 12, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Akzed on August 12, 2011 at 9:07 AM

SKYFOX on August 12, 2011 at 10:02 AM

The Presidency is really beneath this man.

Kenosha Kid on August 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Speaking of AA, I need a drink.

vcferlita on August 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM

“So what kind of president is this Obama?”

“Just like any other president, only less so.”

RDuke on August 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Did he really mean that as “the united stAtes of AmericA”?

Count to 10 on August 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Or maybe Rick symbolizes political independents and Ilsa symbolizes Obama as he flees and leaves her to sleep with the “activist” Victor Laszlo. Sam the piano-player is of course the long-suffering American voter and…

Damn it, you’ve ruined the movie for me too.

Drained Brain on August 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Lenders like borrowers who can PAY THEM BACK. While Standard and Poors was downgrading the US Treasury, they UPGRADED the State of Ohio to AAA status, because they trust Gov. Kasich (R-OH) to balance his books. While Kasich is not a candidate for President, he could be a valuable ally for the GOP nominee against Obama during the campaign, in a crucial swing state…

Steve Z on August 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM

And our economy has a dead battery and needs a jump start. Call AAA.

Steve Z on August 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM

When Michelle Kwan appeared on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno following a disappointment in the Olympics, she said rather tersely, “I didn’t LOSE the Gold, I WON the Silver.” I applauded her for that, because so many critics had come out of the woodwork with those insipid “how does it feel?” questions.

Obama’s assertion that we’re still a AAA country (when we’re, um, technically not) seems the opposite of that. He’s wrong. He’s at fault, and he still believes his silver tongue can make it otherwise.

As I said to Dennis Miller and Mark Steyne on Dennis’s show the other day, Obama’s demonizing of S&P after the downgrade is tantamount to him saying “I know you are but what am I?” Color me silly, but I expect better from the allegedly most brilliant man to ever occupy the White House.

Captain Scarlet on August 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Self esteem education success.

Jvette on August 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I think it was Victor Laszlo who told the band to play it. Rick nodded his approval. SKYFOX on August 12, 2011 at 10:02 AM

That’s right! With a little nod.

Akzed on August 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Great post. In the spirit of Casablanca, I’ll suggest that Obama is turning into the Peter Lorre character before our eyes. You know… You despise me, don’t you? Drained Brain on August 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM

“If I gave you any thought I suppose I would,” -Rick.

Akzed on August 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM

There will always be golf and vacations.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2011 at 1:01 PM

A merican
A lcoholics
A nonymous

Keep on drinking whatever koolaid, bozo.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Not AAA rated? Oh well.
At least we have the 2016 Chicago Olympics to look forward to….uhhh, yeaaaaa.

dthorny on August 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM