Video: Pawlenty and Bachmann slug it out

posted at 11:13 pm on August 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, here’s the video highlight of the evening. T-Paw did end up dropping the gloves but Bachmann was ready for him. I don’t think he did enough damage to vault past her in the straw poll. In fact, increasingly I think Ron Paul’s going to win the straw poll on the strength of his small but perpetually energized constituency. I’m looking forward to Sunday’s headlines per his disquisition tonight about Iranian nukes being no big deal (a position he’s held for years): “Republican straw poll winner to the left of Obama on nuclear terrorism.”

If you’re keeping score at home, the number of questions asked tonight about Michele Bachmann being submissive to her husband: One. The number asked about entitlements and how to reform them: Zero. Unbelievable.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

axlerod: misses the scarborough republicans…..puhleeeze

cmsinaz on August 12, 2011 at 7:18 AM

That was so sickening..:)

PS..Happy TGIF..:)

Dire Straits on August 12, 2011 at 8:32 AM

The majority isn’t always right, right?
Leaders, like Bachmann pointed out, have to step out with moral authority, and not just wither to special interests.
Romney would have supported slavery (by your definition of leader), Bachman would not.

right2bright on August 12, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Apples and oranges….

1) Those in MA who didn’t like it were free to move to escape it.
2) The majority were enslaving themselves. Your ridiculous inappropriate analogy only works if slaves voted to make themselves slaves.

Dang, you Palin worshipers have twisted logic so far to make excuses for her that reality has slipped from your grasp in other areas also.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM

The ‘debate’ was entertaining, and not quite as sophomoric as the one that CNN’s John King hosted. I thought it was unbecoming of the Fox folks to try creating one-on-one arguments (as between Gov. Pawlenty and Rep. Bachman), rather than sticking to substantive questions and letting the candidates take them where they wanted.

Other observations:

- Too many people on stage to have anything meaningful emerge.

- Best line of the night: Gingrich calling the ‘super-committee’ “stupid” (anyone have the actual quote?).

- Newt was the most articulate, the most original, and the most entertaining of all on stage. Would he make a good President? Probably not, but might be a terrific Chief of Staff.

- Mitt Romney was his usual boring, repetitive self. Tim Pawlenty was a smaller (and shrinking) version of Mitt.

- Michele Bachman was too earnest by half, and too defensive by the other half.

- Mr. Cain is a great guy, but should stick to pizza.

- Rep. Ronpaul has this knack for articulating perfectly sane policies (like Health Savings Accounts) and then spewing complete nonsense, like not worrying about Iran’s nuclear ambitions. He had a lot of fans in the audience, though.

- Rick Santorum is right about most things, a good speaker, with a good record—but is clearly too young to be President.

- Who is Jon Huntsman, and why was he there?

The only Republican who has shown any leadership the past few months has been John Boehner (whether or not you like the deal he pushed through the House). He has also shown that he can stand toe-to-toe with Obambi and not flinch. He would make a better President than any of the self-proclaimed candidates, so let’s draft him.

/Mr Lynn

MrLynn on August 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

*Bump*..I had to get it off 199..:)

Dire Straits on August 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM

If he had been an agent of the federal government, yes, it would have been unconstitutional. It was only because of the technicality that he was a governor that he was able to get away with it.
FloatingRock on August 12, 2011 at 1:39 AM

This is a ludicrous argument with an irrelevant hypothetical. He was not acting as an “agent” of the federal government! He was acting on behalf of the State of Massachusetts in full adherence to the State’s constitution and the rights of states. He didn’t “get away with” anything – it was a done with the popular support of the Mass people and legislature. It’s not a “technicality”, it’s an indisputable and essential difference.

To use Palin as an example, she imposed taxes on the oil companies over and above what the Alaska constitution required. You will not find me arguing that “if she were an agent of the federal government” she’d do the same thing as President she did as governor, and that “she only got away with it” due to a technicality.

Buy Danish on August 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM

MrLynn on August 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

RuPaul tends to do that. I swear, if he didn’t subscribe to such a malignant foreign policy, I’d give him a second look.

KingGold on August 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Someonefrom Afghanistan is an Afghan. Now what is an Afghanistani? andy85719 on August 11, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I may be showing my age, but I thought an Afgan was a knitted coverlet for keeping warm or covering furniture.

Old Country Boy on August 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Cds I am so glad you are finally coming out of the closet and admitting for all to see your Mitt love. I’m sorry you thought you had to tear down Palin for years to buiold up Mitt. But after watching that debate performance of mitt’s last night I understand perfectly why you think you have to tear down Palin Mitt just was terrible. Mitt the tinman.

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Old Country Boy on August 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM

We have two of those-one was knitted by my mother and the other one was a wedding gift years ago.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 12, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Someone from Afghanistan is an Afghan. Now what is an Afghanistani?

andy85719 on August 11, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I think this has already been answered, but an Afghanistani is a person from Afghanistan.

BlueCollarAstronaut on August 12, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Are you freaking kidding me? Unbelievable indeed. Confidence in the media is right about level with congress I’d expect. Where are all the polls about that?

scalleywag on August 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 12, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I like your blog..Good Luck!..:)

PS..Tried to comment but it did not show up!..:)

Dire Straits on August 12, 2011 at 9:26 AM

The only Republican who has shown any leadership the past few months has been John Boehner … He would make a better President than any of the self-proclaimed candidates, so let’s draft him.

/Mr Lynn

MrLynn on August 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that.

HondaV65 on August 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Mitt just was terrible. Mitt the tinman.

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I like it, but I’m sticking with “Me-Too-Mitt”.

SKYFOX on August 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Cds

unseen on August 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

If you want me to respond to your comments, the least you could do is get the name correct.

csdeven on August 12, 2011 at 11:22 AM

– Rep. Ronpaul has this knack for articulating perfectly sane policies (like Health Savings Accounts) and then spewing complete nonsense, like not worrying about Iran’s nuclear ambitions. He had a lot of fans in the audience, though.

MrLynn on August 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

It seems to be a rule of history that great men very often have great faults.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that.

HondaV65 on August 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Doesn’t surprise me, given the bad rap that Mr. Boehner has gotten hereabouts. But he is a conservative, he looks Presidential, and his disdain for Obambi is palpable, especially when he walked out on him. He also managed to herd the squalling Republican cats of the House pretty well. We could do much worse.

/Mr Lynn

MrLynn on August 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Oops! Got the quote and comment backwards. Oh well. /Mr L

MrLynn on August 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM

All I saw was a grown man trying to beat up on a woman. It was shameful – and ineffective. I think he’s a basically good guy. But, what an awful performance.

Pablo Snooze on August 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM