Romney at the fair: Tells hecklers it’s his turn to speak

posted at 2:45 pm on August 11, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Angry chants of “Wall Street greed” interrupted former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s opening speech at the Iowa State Fair today. During the question-and-answer portion of Romney’s presentation, a couple of left-leaning questioners wanted to know why Romney doesn’t favor raising the payroll tax to shore up Social Security and why he’d be OK with cutting Medicare benefits. Romney responded, but the questioners continued to banter with him at a high volume, prompting the former governor to say, “If you want to speak, you can speak. But right now, it’s my turn.”

Ultimately, Romney handled himself well — and was right to say eliminating the payroll tax cap would, in fact, amount to a tax increase. At least the questioners are concerned about Social Security reform. But rather than suggest the tired solution of forcing some to explicitly pay more than they’ll even have hope of receiving in benefits, they might want to consider other potential solutions, like, oh, say, raising the retirement age, an easy and readily implemented improvement.

Update (AP): Here’s more vid via Mediaite. The “corporations are people” line is coming to a Democratic attack ad near you.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Soylent Green is corporations!

Ronnie on August 11, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I’ll say, that was some good retail politicin’.

I still can’t support Romney, as much as I like him and as much as I think he’s got good ideas for our economy.

The flamin’ tire round Romney’s neck is Romneycare. Sorry.

I’d love to see him as Sec Treas or Commerce in the next administration tho’.

Jason Coleman on August 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Love….love….love it!

Romney is awesome.

“There was a time in this country that we didn’t celebrate attacking people based on their success.” Romney slays the liberal mindset with this statement…..brilliant!

“All the streets in America are connected” = magnificent!

sheryl on August 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Not a Romney fan here per se……….but he sounded pretty good!

Katfish on August 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Then why say anything about yourself?

You provide enough to brag and puff up your image, but that’s it.

Chip on August 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Don’t you know? If crr ever told us where he/she did her undergrad, or which elite T14 he/she went to, it would RUIN his/her anonymity.

Oh, wait, it wouldn’t, because tens of thousands of people have gone to those schools.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 11, 2011 at 7:29 PM

When you’ve spent 18 to 24 months in France selling Mormonism door to door like Romney, liberals must seem pretty easy to deal with.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on August 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM

+100!!

As an Mormon myself, I laughed so hard at this comment. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time.

Its true. Having served a LDS mission myself, you learn to handle yourself when going door to door proselyting.

Conservative Samizdat on August 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM

He handles himself well and I would LOVE to vote for him against Obama…I would love to vote for ANYBODY against Obama, and after participating 4 years ago, in tearing down conservative candidates in the primaries, I’ll quietly watch the debates, do my own damn research, and vote for my favorite in the primary, and for whoever wins the nomination. Obama has to go. 4 more years of him and this country will be destroyed, so keep that in mind as you debate who the best nominee will be.

tmedlin on August 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM

1. Mittens says we need to “restrain growth in government” and “I’m not going to grow the government” …

HE DID NOT say anything about cutting government.

HondaV65 on August 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM

That was the first thing I noticed. Someone needs to nail him down on that. Obama did the same thing spoke in ways that SOUNDED good but when we get into the detailsthe truth comes out.

csdeven on August 11, 2011 at 8:26 PM

csdeven on August 11, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Romney’s for cut, cap and balance. Romney has said it many times, he said it the speech before he opened it for questions here and on Hannity last night.

He said that all gov’t fed, state, local has gone from 27% of our economy to 37% and that we are inches away from not being a free-market country any longer.

Romney is and has been firmly behind cut cap and balance.

Sarah in her capacity as a pundit for Fox didn’t have her facts straight the other night when she criticized Mitt.

sheryl on August 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Heard this on Michael Medved’s program today (I rarely listen anymore, but I didn’t have anything better to do). Romney gets two thumbs up for not only handling this very well, but giving some decent answers. I’m still not supporting him for various reasons, but I give him full marks for the way he came through this.

What bugs me, though, is the fact that the left now feels that doing things like this is acceptable behavior when it comes to appearances by conservatives. They constantly heckle Scott Walker at his appearances. I’m concerned this will become a feature at appearances by those on the right in public. The left will try to shut down any opposition to their message.

theotherone on August 11, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Drudge has a link to an AP story on this which makes Romney look bad. No mention that it was organized protest. Typical lamestream media attack.

Romney should ask these nuts where unions have their pension funds invested.

Jasper61 on August 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM

If you go after them with oppressive regulations and taxation, you can forget about any innovation or breakthrough happening in this country in the future.

Doughboy on August 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Not to mention less jobs available…the neo-Dems are simply dumb.

norm1111 on August 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Read this thread. There are some good lines here. I am sending them in.

IlikedAUH2O on August 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM