Fox News exclusive: Perry aides confirm that he’s running for president

posted at 4:05 pm on August 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

He all but confirmed it himself in his interview with Halperin, but this is the first hard “yes” to come out of his camp after weeks and weeks and weeks of teasing. It’s newsworthy if only for that reason, although I’m intrigued by the timing of the leak. Why not wait another 48 hours and let him end the suspense himself on Saturday? Are they a tiny bit spooked by Palin’s arrival in Iowa, maybe, and looking to preempt that with solid news about him running? Or is this all about ensuring that his name is mentioned at the debate tonight?

Texas Gov. Rick Perry will make “a definitive announcement that he is in the 2012 race for the presidency Saturday,” aides told Fox News.

The language is significant. For several days the Perry camp has said he would signal his intentions and announce later.

“This is it,” the sources explain. No exploratory committee, no more deliberation.

Speaking of the Halperin interview, Ace is totally right that Perry made a bad mistake in gossiping about the conversation he had with Latvia’s prime minister about Obama. It humiliates a sitting president who, like it or not, is in charge of foreign affairs for another 15 months and it humiliates the Latvian PM by putting him on the spot over what was, almost certainly, supposed to be a confidential chat. I think this is more a case of Perry being absentminded than deliberately setting out to breach that confidence, but he can’t let it happen again.

Via the Daily Caller, here’s Joe Scarborough dumping on him this morning for praying a bit more publicly than he’d like. Meanwhile, Tom Tancredo’s tearing Perry to shreds in Politico for being much softer on amnesty than he’d like. He’s too far right for the centrists and too far towards the center for the right — not a bad place to be for a guy trying to triangulate between Romney and Bachmann. Besides, if he and Romney do end up in a two-man race, does anyone think Mitt will be taken seriously if he tries to beat Perry by becoming some sort of table-pounding border enforcer? C’mon.

Update: More confirmation. He’s in.

Update: At Townhall, Dwayne Horner has more details:

Stories started surfacing earlier this week saying that Perry, the longest serving chief executive in Texas history, would use the conservative gathering to remove all speculation about a run for the White House. Sources revealed to Townhall yesterday that the Governor’s children, Griffin and Sydney, have been told to clear their schedules starting Friday so they could be “with their father at this special time.”…

With the confirmation that Perry will indeed be a candidate, speculation is that a formal announcement is in the works during Labor Day weekend in either Austin or on the Texas A&M campus.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Resign and quit are synonyms. No amount of squirming and spin will change that. Palin quit her job. She had valid reasons for doing so, but she still quit. I can overlook that plain and simple fact. Why can’t you?

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM

And Michelle Bachmann’s bus gassed 100 people…

13. to treat or impregnate with gas.

But you can’t accept that.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Palin was a point guard she controlled the ball and DIRECTED those on the field.

unseen on August 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM

So Dennis Rodman is qualified to be POTUS?

Bradky on August 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Right now, simultaneously, you are arguing that because one of the definitions of ‘gas’ has a bad connotation people shouldn’t say it…

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:15 PM

There is no other definition of “gassing” that applies to the usage that those other nitwits used. Period. Your grasping at straws and intellectual dishonesty is mind-melting.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Perry’s got ties to some New Apostle movement that the press will beat him to death with. Palin in my opinion won’t enter until Bachmann bows out if she has to. By then Romney will be the only electable candidate. No matter how it shakes out, I will be voting Republican in 2012……Obama must go, or the country dies…..

adamsmith on August 11, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I’m assuming the reason you feel is ‘staring everyone in the face’ is that she’s going to endorse Perry
miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:15 PM

You assume wrong.

Knucklehead on August 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

And Michelle Bachmann’s bus gassed 100 people…

13. to treat or impregnate with gas.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

*blinks*

I am utterly, completely, and overwhelmingly astounded.

The amount of spin you just engaged in could make an entire time zone dizzy.

Just wow, pal. Just wow.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Yeah, too bad Jeb Bush isn’t getting into this. We could use another Bush.
Hey, and don’t get me wrong, I’d certainly vote for Jeb if the only alternative was Obama or Satan. Believe me.

JellyToast on August 11, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Jeb Bush Jr is with the Huntsman group now. I think HA had a thread up on it in the last two days.

bluefox on August 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM

It describes criminal activity.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM

OR an accident OR Barny Fwank.

derft on August 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM

No dude – you are the one desperately grasping. If I were setting off a bug bomb in my house and didn’t realize one of my roommates were still in the house and suddenly he came running out, I would totally, comfortably say, “I gassed my roommate with a bug bomb.” And have a good laugh about it.

The poster of the gassing comment was obviously speaking tongue in cheek. And if was so wrong…fill in a verb for me what works better…

Michelle Bachmann’s accidentally ___________ 100 people.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Knucklehead on August 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

The obvious truth is that she loves the lime light and is trying to parlay her fame in to a TV career. She’s riding down the Huck highway in her RV.

MJBrutus on August 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I am utterly, completely, and overwhelmingly astounded.

The amount of spin you just engaged in could make an entire time zone dizzy.

Just wow, pal. Just wow.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Awesome. I guess I shouldn’t expect a guy who somehow thinks nature intends us to use our reproductive and excretory parts as you do to understand the obvious.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Ok, MC. Do you think Sarah Palin submitted a Letter of Resignation or a Letter of Quitting?

bluefox on August 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Are you serious?

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Well at least we agree on most all of this:-) I can agree she resigned. Why can’t I agree that she quit? Because of the reasons I’ve stated. We’ll just agree to disagree on the terms used. I like a good debate:-) Should we appoint a committee to break this stalemate? LOL

bluefox on August 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Michelle Bachmann’s accidentally ___________ 100 people.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Quit

derft on August 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Quit

derft on August 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Lol. Awesome.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Michelle Bachmann’s accidentally ___________ 100 people.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Nice job adding “accidentally” once you realized how much of an idiot you were making yourself out to be. Have a good night.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Well, I felt I had to since you obviously weren’t smart enough to infer it yourself.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Palin’s smart and she knows what is at stake. She won’t run against Perry unless he falters badly. My guess is that they will be a team, giving the ole one two to Obama every chance available.

If anyone thinks that Rick Perry isn’t going to go after Obama with everything he’s got – it’s because they have never met a pissed off Texan LOL!

Dr Evil on August 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I’m looking forward to this.

itsacookbook on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I’d rather listen to Texans who have had him as Governor.

JellyToast on August 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM

What a person says is important. It’s what they do that defines them.

JellyToast on August 11, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Full disclosure: Known Rick for almost 30 years, so take what I say with that in mind.

When I first got to know him, he was a Democrat, as was almost everybody back then who was going places. But, it wasn’t today’s Democrats by any means. Our Dems back then were Republicans in waiting, conservatives almost all. But as I got to know him, I learned he was the most conservative of all the others, especially on fiscal and social issues. He was one of the first of them to decide to switch parties because he couldn’t deal with what the Democrat party was really starting to become on the national level, which he knew was trickling down to Texas, and the Texas party had the likes of uber libs like Ann Richards and Jim Hightower, too.

So, when he was thinking about goin’ R, I and other of his friends said, “Go for it.” Everyone else, the establishment Ds and big money boys, in particular, told him he was crazy. He did it anyway, and unseated the “unbeatable” Jim Hightower as Texas Agriculture Commissioner, a very high profile job in Texas. That win, many say and I believe, was the catalyst that ultimately turned Texas into a predominately R&R state, Republican and Red. In the next few cycles after that, the Texas Ds were decimated, where still they are.

Now, there will be some who will quibble about him on some of the issues, and even I fought him on some when I thought he was wrong, but he’s not a small man, like Obama, and not afraid to admit he was wrong and his opponents right when the facts prove it so.

What’s been more important to me is that Rick came from a nowhere place, called Paint Creek, Texas, that’s flatter and drier than about any place on earth, where he grew up on a ranch in the 50′s and 60′s, in a small wood house without indoor plumbing. It was hard country, a place of hard work and hard lives, where everybody took care of themselves and the others who couldn’t, where “welfare” or a dime coming to you from the “gubmint” was a blasphemy. The only thing you did in Paint Creek, as even you do now, is go to school or work hard and enjoy the wild social scene provided through the churches, and Friday night football.

Rick, as I know him, never really left Paint Creek. He still tells stories that are at once funny and sad about the place. They often say you can take the boy out of the country but you can’t take the country out of the boy. And, that’s true to an extent. But when it’s hard country, there ain’t no way to take it out of the boy.

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

No neck. Sorry but that rules him out. I like him so no animus, just fact.

Mason on August 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011

Michelle Bachmann’s accidentally ___________ 100 people.

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I’m the guilty Party…

I found the link on another HotAir thread and thought it was funny!

I even put a LOL after it..

And than some idiot freaks, and thinks I’m comparing Bachmann to Hitler.

Clueless…

idesign on August 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Thanks for the background. I’m glad Perry is likely to run.

————————

As I’ve only read this page of comments, what’s with the “gassing” thing?

toliver on August 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am a Palin supporter, but your post about Perry did more to create a positive impression of him in my mind that anything I have read in the mainstream press over the last few months.

Kataklysmic on August 11, 2011 at 8:47 PM

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

That was great, thanks! The more I read about him the more I like. There’s hope for us republicans after all. Him jumping in is the best news I’ve seen for the party in a year. Just my opinion and people will attack my comment for it, but I’m really stoked now that with him in, we can win this thing.

scalleywag on August 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Thanks for the post…

He sounds a lot like Palin!

idesign on August 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Another native Texan reporting…

I was “meh” about Perry. Voted for him, but not enthusiastically. But then started reading more and more about him and, I gotta say, I like him. Disagree with some things he wanted, but even on those, I understand his thinking.

A lot of my fellow Texans like to say “Perry’s no conservative” but most of them think Reagan was no conservative, either. Only another Goldwater will please them.

When Perry was in the state legislature, he was something a lot of people can’t believe existed… a fiscal conservative democrat. But, yeah, he had that reputation.

He was also our Ag Commissioner and I think that’s an important position to remember. We are going to have some very hard times ahead if this heat wave (and drought) doesn’t end SOON. Food supply hard times. I think someone like Perry with some practical knowledge in the ag area will be very helpful.

One other thing… no way in hell is Obama going to take Texas… unless the Dems already have the ballots printed and punched. (hey, I remember LBJ)

itsacookbook on August 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Sounds good to me. Where do I sign up?

humdinger on August 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Clueless…

idesign on August 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Agreed. It reminded me of the rabid left who have deemed certain un-PC words unutterable regardless of their context or intention of the speaker.

And people talk about cult-ish Palin supporters…

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time for that.

But will he secure our borders?
Will he help to repeal ObamaCare?
Will he appoint conservative judges?
Will he let some lib write the next education bill?

Those are the kinds of things that are the most important to me.

JellyToast on August 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM

And people talk about cult-ish Palin supporters…

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Reloading…

idesign on August 11, 2011 at 9:01 PM

And people talk about cult-ish Palin supporters…

miConsevative on August 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I hate the doouble standards and make no mistake madison knows excatly what he is doing and he is engaging in the doube standard. He understand what the words he uses connotes and he fight for others to not do what he is doing. hypocritcal. i figure since they are using the words will not stop and continue to slander and smear I’m not one to going to be check which words I decide to use.

unseen on August 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Or perhaps I don’t consider revolting mealymouthed attempts to imply that a conservative candidate you don’t like threatened people’s lives to be a “joke”.

Those who do are frightening people, indeed.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Yeah, and we all know you’ve patrolled every Palin thread to vent your righteous indignation at every cheap shot thrown her way. Come on.

ddrintn on August 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM

LOOK! little dick perry and his good buddy’s over at ACORN!

OH LITTLE RICKY, YOU ARE REALLY GOING TO REGRET GETTING INTO THIS THING

sidewinder22 on August 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM

don’t like PPP? I have polls from every major polling outfit, going back 3 years, showing Palin with high unfavorables, and very few undecideds. She has 96% name recognition, people have made up their minds.

windansea on August 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM

And I saw a poll recently that has Perry something like 20 points behind Obama. And Perry’s electable, you know.

The Perry fans can keep pooing on the Palin fans, and this time next year both groups will be b1tching as follows: “How did we ever get Romney as the nominee?? The MSM is NOT going to pick our candidate EVER again! Nope, nuh-uh, never!” LOL Same ol same ol.

ddrintn on August 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM

once palin gets in, its game over for all the lightweight wannabe’s, including little dick perry

sidewinder22 on August 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time for that.

But will he secure our borders?
Will he help to repeal ObamaCare?
Will he appoint conservative judges?
Will he let some lib write the next education bill?

Those are the kinds of things that are the most important to me.

JellyToast on August 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Yes to the first three and no to the last. He’s been criticized on the border issue, but a border governor gets blocked by the feds, coming and going. And, we all know that even Bush was a problem in that regard, much less President Downgrade. Your last issue, in particular, hints that you might think he’d be another “let’s all just get along” Bush. Believe me, he and we’ve all seen the failure in that strategery, and he’s not a Kennebunkport Republican. The Ds here in Texas, and they’re still a lot more conservative than the ones in Washington, hate his ass with a passion.

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 9:49 PM

ddrintn on August 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM

MC on every Palin thread? No, that would be unseen.

ddrintn on August 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Perry is an unkown to most people, so he can gain lots of ground. Palin is not an unknown to anyone that doesn’t live under a rock. Her numbers will be much harder to budge.

toliver on August 11, 2011 at 9:49 PM

MC on every Palin thread? No, that would be unseen.

No, that would be csdeven. And it was sarcasm.

toliver on August 11, 2011 at 9:49 PM

So you’re assuming that most are going to end up having a positive view of Perry if he’s the nominee. Riiiiiight. He has as much ground to make up as Palin does, and he hasn’t been through The Treatment yet.

ddrintn on August 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Perry is an unkown to most people, so he can gain lots of ground.

once people find out about perry, the only place he’s going is down.

once people find out about palin, (the ones who dont know who she really is), the only place she’ll go is up.

and she is already easily the the highest rated republican already. period.

anybody who doesnt know this is delusional

sidewinder22 on August 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM

^ Pfffft, it’s academic anyway. If Perry runs and Palin doesn’t, Romney’s the nominee. Either way the establishment has a non-threatening candidate with whom they can be happy, win or lose.

ddrintn on August 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM

once people find out about perry, the only place he’s going is down.

and she is already easily the the highest rated republican already. period.

anybody who doesnt know this is delusional

sidewinder22 on August 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM

The delusion here is that of the Palin cultists. Palin is a very well-known celebrity, and the indies out there think she’s a punchline. That’s not going to be fixed anytime soon. If Perry performs well in his introduction to America, he’ll be going up. I hope he handles “the treatment” better than Palin did, because she effed things up royally.

toliver on August 11, 2011 at 10:09 PM

TXUS on August 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM

thanks for that interesting post.

Elisa on August 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Perry is a former Democrat (supported Al Gore) and an open border proponent. Discussion over.

haner on August 11, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Seems most Perry supporters think Perry can’t win without a Palin endorsement. Very weak candidate if that is what you all are hoping for.

unseen on August 11, 2011 at 4:15 PM

You got links to back up your claim? I’m a Perry supporter and I’ve always said that I couldn’t care less who Palin endorses — the GOP has never had a kingmaker in the past and it certainly does not need one now, least of all Palin.

Who is this “all” you speak of?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM

The delusion here is that of the Palin cultists.

The delusion is with the anti-Palin obsessives and Perry cultists who think anyone’s immune to media destruction.

As is George Bush. As is Dick Cheney. As is Karl Rove. As is Rush Limbaugh. As is Ann Coulter. As will be Perry when they get finished with him.

toliver on August 11, 2011 at 10:09 PM

“If Perry performs well”. Palin performed well in her introduction, namely the RNC speech. That’s why she had to be destroyed. The only way she really “effed” up was in signing on to an impotent campaign like McCain’s.

ddrintn on August 12, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Palin’s circumstances are different from others, including Perry. Damaged goods.

toliver on August 12, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Now that the foreplay is over, is this the time to have the proverbial cigarette?

Don L on August 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM

When will you sophisticates comprehend that wisdom rejects suicide as an option. She, like all wise and battle hardened generals, retreated to fight again another day -just like MacArthur did when he left the Phillipines against overwhelming enemy odds -but stood in glorious victory on the battleship Missouri in Tokyo Bay while the Japanese signed, in dishonor and defeat, the unconditional surrender.

Sarah has tasted real battle from whithing and without and has only grown stronger and wiser, and thusly, will be the last one standing.

Your “quitter” argument is nothing but a tiring talking point of the left -it holds no rational or intellectual strength, Give it up!

Don L on August 12, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Don L on August 12, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Your comparison not only reeks of Palinbot stupidity, but is an unwarranted insult to MacArthur. He saw more ‘battle’ in a DAY than that snowbilly has ever seen in her entire sheltered LIFE. And he wasn’t ‘under fire’ from a bunch of mealy-mouthed journalists and ethics investigations, either.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM