Colbert Super Pac launches first Iowa ad

posted at 3:25 pm on August 11, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Stephen Colbert’s farcical Super PAC, Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow, has come out with it’s first campaign advertisement aimed at Iowa. (Haven’t located an approved site with embeddable video yet, so you’ll need to go here if you want to view it.) Titled, “Episode IV: A New Hope” it spends the first half of its run time complaining about all of the unlimited money from Super PACs being used to promote Rick Perry, and then asks, “what about our unlimited Super PAC money? We want you to vote for Rick Perry, too. But not their Rick Perry. Our Rick Parry. With an A.” (The “A” is for America and Iowa.)

The Hill points out that what started out as a joke is beginning to backfire in some quarters of the real political world.

Colbert’s joke to form his own super PAC became a decision with real-life implications for campaign finance.

In June The Federal Election Commission ruled that Colbert could form his eponymous political action committee and use his show to promote it.

His satirical campaign to form a “super PAC” originally pleased campaign finance reform advocates because it brought attention to their cause. Howver, (sic) they became concerned that the joke would backfire.

In the end, this is still just comedy, whether it’s your personal cup of tea or not. Colbert is promoting Colbert, not some particular candidate, party or ideology. But he does continue to raise pertinent – if uncomfortable – questions. It’s difficult for anyone who supported the Citizens United decision to turn around and claim that he shouldn’t be doing this, unless it’s in terms of his making a mockery of what is intended to be a serious process.

Perhaps the larger question is, how does this guy raise so much money through his “Colbert Nation” for stunts like this when actual candidates and causes have trouble bringing in donors? And shouldn’t some of these kids be supporting real activism and reform, rather than funding a traveling sideshow? But what the heck… I still enjoy his show.

Comments

Stephen who?

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Pat Paulson is not amused.

portlandon on August 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

This Colbert just isn’t funny. Plus, why we’d be excited for some guy that claims to be a comedian mucking with the elections is anybody’s guess. With Pat Paulson at least everyone knew he was joking. Too many for the morons that follow Coalburt think he’s a serious commentator. It’s even worse with Stewart. Why anyone watches this stuff is beyond a sentient person to understand.

Warner Todd Huston on August 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

With the politicians we have now? You must be joking.

mythicknight on August 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

His bosses at Viacom, owners of Comedy Central, are going to LOVE this when it inevitably bites them in the @ss.

teke184 on August 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Everyone’s a cynic.

simon on August 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM

A fool and their money.. something, something, something.

ButterflyDragon on August 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM

“Colbert is promoting Colbert, not some particular candidate, party or ideology”

I disagree. He’s a liberal. He’s promoting liberal ideas. And he’s a nihilist. He’s of the “the whole system is bad” ilk and that is neither logical nor helpful to anyone, especially the whole of the polity.

Warner Todd Huston on August 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Colbert is a moron. Isn’t it funny that a liberal like him, who abhors the way America is, profits from the capitalism liberals like to deign as evil?

capejasmine on August 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Why is it uncomfortable? To me, the First Amendment means what it says: Congress shall pass no law abridging the freedom of speech. If Colbert and his fans want to run satirical political advertisements with their own money, I have no problem with it.

Outlander on August 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM

The genius pool that bottom feeds his act will probably vote Republican out of complete confusion.

Hening on August 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM

But what the heck… I still enjoy his show.

Why? No, seriously, why?

I would bet every penny of my future earnings that not a single one of the hipster Colbert viewers who would be silly enough to donate to something like this has a single clue about anything political. You do remember the Rally to Get a Contact Buzz, or whatever the hell it was, don’t you?

I do support Colbert in his efforts though purely on the principal of liberty. I find it highly offensive and unconstitutional that he needs to get permission from the government to do this.

NotCoach on August 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Stephen who?

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I enjoyed him when he was on ‘Strangers With Candy‘.

Now? Not so much.

VibrioCocci on August 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

But but but I thought only Palin would be lampooned. I don’t want to have to defend anymore candidates from the jokers. can’t we just have a clean caniddate that nobody makes fun of?

unseen on August 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Pat Paulson is not amused.

portlandon on August 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

“Picky, Picky, Picky!”

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Hopefully, the more money that ppl send to Colbert the less they will have to support Obama next year.

Go RBNY on August 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I’d rather they give to the idiot than to the DNC!

Tim_CA on August 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I had a lit professor who told the class she was going to see Colbert or Stewart (aren’t they the same?) and she was so excited. Not something I would have bragged about, and suffice it to say, I didn’t really like her from that point on. I was fortunate enough to go to a university that wasn’t too liberal and she was was the only exception. Oh, and that professor with the Obama sign that still hangs from his window. Ugh. That kinda stuff kills the education experience for me.

RDE2010 on August 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Doing an Open Secrets search in a couple of months to see who is donating to Colbert’s PAC and comparing that to the type of ads the “comic” PAC is running and who they are skewering will be interesting to see. My guess is aside from the trust fund kiddies with disposable incomes, you’re going to see quite a few names on there who will also produce hits for Obama ’08 campaign donations.

jon1979 on August 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Colbert can relate to Obama. Narcissists readily recognize one another.

GarandFan on August 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Colbert is promoting Colbert, not some particular candidate, party or ideology

Really? Really…????

The Mega Independent on August 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Your question is addressed by focusing on who he chose to attack first.

Dems are running seriously scared of Perry and are now in overdrive mode to try to “Palinize” him before he gains traction. They fear that he is someone the base would go all out to support and from the results of 2010 and Obama’s miserable record, it would spell doom for their “Messiah”!

TheRightMan on August 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM

can’t we just have a clean caniddate that nobody makes fun of?

Clean and articulate?

AndrewsDad on August 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM

In a saner and better time, just being affiliated wiht a clown of this magnitude would be an immediate disqualifier for winning elections. A properly educated and rational electorate would sense the inherent unseriousness of a candidate championed by one of these talking heads who pontificate out of one side of their mouths, then cry they are only a satirist out of the other. Sadly, these tacit endorsements are seen as a badge of honor these days.

Huckabye-Romney on August 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Why would anyone complain? The ad doesn’t even make sense. It’s a huge waste of money.

I have no problem with a bunch of Obamatards wasting their money on sideshows. Colbert isn’t exactly draining money from Republicans with this gambit.

Caiwyn on August 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM

The first one was a little funnier than the second one, which isn’t saying much. In any case, the embed codes are now available when each clip ends. Yeah, you’ll have to watch them first.

manwithblackhat on August 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

VibrioCocci on August 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’ll admit that I liked him as Phil Ken Sebben on Harvey Birdman.

…and that’s all he’s really good for.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Agreed!

VibrioCocci on August 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM

But what the heck… I still enjoy his show.

Actually, this starts to make sense when I consider that you’ve supported liberal ideas here in the past.

fossten on August 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I’m with Outlander on this.

Now laws abridging means no laws abridging….

If Colbert wants to beclown himself and the political system, that’s fine.

I don’t think we need laws to keep people from making a mockery of things.

We need to raise an educated citizenry that will respect important institutions…not that IA straw poll exactly qualifies as an important institution.

JadeNYU on August 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM

But what the heck… I still enjoy his show

I’m sure you thought his testimony before Congress was a big laugh for you too.

Jerome Horwitz on August 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Clean and articulate?

AndrewsDad on August 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM

yes because that was what I was told we need. If the DNC is going to make fun of all our candidates how can we defend them?

unseen on August 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM

We absolutely need a show for Conservatives like Colbert or Stewart giving the same type of non news for comedic edification.

Speakup on August 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM

But what the heck… I still enjoy his show.

Really? I haven’t been able stand watching his lame act since I first saw it in Mr. Goodwrench ads.

Count to 10 on August 11, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Stephen who?

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM

The guy who plays Mr. Goodwrench, his most successful role.

slickwillie2001 on August 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Colbert is promoting Colbert…

True enough.

not some particular candidate, party or ideology.

Surely you’re joking. And I’ll call you Shirley until you stop acting like a Shirley.

catmman on August 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Maybe his show can go the way of George Lopez’s….cancelled.

search4truth on August 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Given the number of people who can’t tell a Sarah Palin quote from a Tina Fay joke, here hoping the voter pay more attention to who actual says what.

Fynxbell on August 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Perry 2012. I like it.

Colbert go away.

Mojave Mark on August 11, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Caiwyn on August 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM

+1. I’m glad idiots waste their money on this stuff instead of sending it to real Dem candidates.

Missy on August 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM

they always show you who they fear.

Perry/Ryan

cpaulus on August 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Caiwyn on August 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I have to admit, I was more puzzled than amused, too. But I doubt Colbert will put out any ads poking fun at Obama or the Democrats. He would lose his liberal cred and be called a racist. He just doesn’t have the guts to do it.

Fallon on August 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

So, Colbert is a triple-agent?

A conservative pretending to be a liberal spoofing a conservative?

Cool.

faraway on August 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I’ll admit that I liked him as Phil Ken Sebben on Harvey Birdman.

…and that’s all he’s really good for.

MadisonConservative on August 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Don’t forget Prof. Impossible on Venture Bros.

Inkblots on August 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

A lot of work for a pretty lame joke.

joewm315 on August 11, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Where does he get the money?

Who knows… but there is that gold named guy with an ‘S’ on either side of it. He has money to waste, apparently.

ajacksonian on August 11, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Fynxbell on August 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I couldn’t agree more. While Tina may have the better voice, syntax, and vocabulary, Sarah is a lot funnier to watch.

Haldol on August 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Haldol on August 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM

She takes on Obama like no other…

Fallon on August 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I so don’t miss cable.

Ward Cleaver on August 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Fynxbell on August 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I’ve never found Scarface to be that funny. It’s like she’s telling inside jokes to other idiot liberals.

Ward Cleaver on August 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I don’t get the “parry” thing. Is it supposed to be a joke? The leftoids at Huffpo are using that term now and don’t get it.

juliesa on August 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM

This has strong backfire potential.

curved space on August 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Colbert is promoting Colbert, not some particular candidate, party or ideology.

Riiiiight.

Best of luck in your quests to trap the Tooth Fairy and meet Santa while you’re at it.

SuperCool on August 11, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Speakup on August 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM

The problem is that conservatives make things like “An American Carol”. When it comes to comedians, the closest most get to conservatism is libertarians like Adam Carolla (and listening to his podcast, I’ve discovered that there are a LOT more libertarian leanings out there than I’d thought), though Norm Macdonald is strongly pro-life and Christian.

sobincorporated on August 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM