Video: Pawlenty pounds the president’s empty podium in best ad of his campaign

posted at 3:25 pm on August 9, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Ed wasn’t the only person inspired by the image of the empty podium that filled so many TV screens for 52 minutes yesterday while an anxious nation vainly awaited leadership from its president. The Tim Pawlenty campaign released an ad today that vividly and powerfully links that empty podium to the economic challenges the nation faces. One presumes the image percolated in the minds of Pawlenty’s camapaign managers even before yesterday, but, if not, if they put this ad together in a day, then it is all the more impressive. I haven’t blindly adored every ad the Pawlenty campaign has produced, but this ad might be the best I’ve seen from any GOP 2012 contender so far (and Mitt Romney has had a number of hits). It’s so good it gives me goosebumps every time I watch it (and I can’t seem to stop watching it).

Awed silence.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

excellent….air this DAILY, makes this a combined campaign effort, all candidates use this…and should TPAW not be the nominee, hand this over to him/her as a present :)

cmsinaz on August 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

The people speaking (Plouffe and Geithner for example) need to be associated with Obama. The majority of Americans do not know them and therefor will not make the responsibility connection.

shick on August 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I’m an anything-but-Obama voter and I approve this message!

Shy Guy on August 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Be careful what you say. I was once an anything-but-Hillary voter.

shick on August 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

It’s a good thing you are so darn cute…or you would be out of a job.

right2bright on August 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Please knock off the sexist crap. Tina’s doing a great job.

John the Libertarian on August 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I second that statement.

shick on August 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Way to finish yur check Coach!

Theworldisnotenough on August 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Too many clips, too many voice overs, too much editing.

It’s like a commercial on speed.

Labamigo on August 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

It was a winner until the last frames… lol

golfmann on August 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I hate playing this game, but can you imagine if our great country had elected a Republican with no executive experience to be the President of the United States. Every day we would hear stories about how the economy is failing because the President is over his head.

Let me put it another way: can you imagine what the media would be saying now if Palin were elected President in 2008? It would be in your face every day that she was in over her head.

For Obama, though, he is just unlucky that he happens to be President when everything is working against him: Bush, Wall Street, Tea Party members, Japan’s earthquake, gas prices, Red Sox ahead of the Yankees in August, NFL in a lock out for 4 months.

How can he be responsible for the economy when the Red Sox are in first place. It’s just not fair to the President to expect him to preform under such circumstances.

RedSoxNation on August 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Of course, if Palin were elected President, we would not be dealing with the insanity of the Stimulous Package, the morgtage bailout programs, QE1, QE2, Obamacare, no budget for two years, etc. As a result, we would be well on our way to recovering. We might not be flying high with Palin given some of the other world problems, but we would not be on our way to a double dip. We would be doing as well as Canda, which has a conservative government right now and is doing much better than the USA.

Palin is not my first choice to be President, but she would be a 100 times better than Obama…

RedSoxNation on August 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Pawlenty is about as exciting as Bob Dole.

wepeople on August 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM

OMG its a miricle a Timmy thread got above 100 comments. Break out the booze.

unseen on August 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM

best ad of the campaign so far.

TheQuestion on August 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Pretty sweet commercial though.

Bishop on August 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Excellent ad T-Paw..:)

Dire Straits on August 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM

OK, what’s with the whole Hollywood carnage movie shtick? Is this what does well in focus groups? I was cringing towards the end there with all the whoooooms and bams and what not.

So violent, Timmy. You don’t need to scream to get my attention.

Seixon on August 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Loved the ad, liked the final fading voice of Ø calling out “Are you fired up?” It’s almost as if he were asking the wrong audience this time.
The musical emphasis was powerful and the use of it as each punch and counter punch of statement vs. results was revealed was appropriate and emphatic.

ExpressoBold on August 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Excellent ad! Your stock is rising Number Six… :^D

CliffHanger on August 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM

whoa. great ad.

ted c on August 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Great ad.
One of many in which T-Paw hits Obama hard.

itsnotaboutme on August 9, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Ummmm…his team totally ripped of the style of the Undefeated…

CCRWM on August 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I fell asleep halfway through. How does it end? Does T-Yawn win?

BDavis on August 9, 2011 at 10:20 PM

I think the ad successfully whacks Obama, but does nothing for Pawlenty.

Jeebus, I mean really. TPaw can do nothing right in some peoples’ eyes. People whine about how he’s not tough enough, and then he drops this ad, and goes right after Obama, and we get idiotic comments like this. By the looks of the comments here for the most part however, I’d say you’re wrong.

SuperBunny on August 10, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Ummmm…his team totally ripped of the style of the Undefeated…

CCRWM on August 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM

we know your obsessed w/ her-but give it a rest.
Everything isn’t always about Palin.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 10, 2011 at 2:13 AM

I’m an anything-but-Obama voter and I approve this message!

Shy Guy on August 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Be careful what you say. I was once an anything-but-Hillary voter.

shick on August 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Actually it was anyone but Bush, even though he was not running.

Dasher on August 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Great ad. Makes me want Romney more. Sorry Pawlenty, I would have considered you if you could have gotten the car started when the race began, but seeing you just sit there grinding the ignition, does not instill confidence.

Besides the only one in this race who is not a career politician is Mitt Romney. This country will need someone who understands the nuts and bolts of capitalism from the inside out. And the only person that can do it is Romney.

No career politicians in the Whitehouse this time!!!

petunia on August 10, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Good ad. Kinda.

In car advertising the first rule is: always show the car.

Problem here is that it attacks Obama – nice. But, it doesn’t help Pawlenty, (except us all saying he makes nice attack ads).

Pawlenty’s problem is Pawlenty (which is too bad ’cause I like him). He’s not going to win because he attacks Obama better than other Republicans. Where are Pawlenty’s strengths shown? He needs to showcase these, or he’s never getting out of the gate.

This ad doesn’t help with that.

Pablo Snooze on August 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM