Iowa Republican to Rick Perry: You’ve insulted Iowans with the timing of your announcement

posted at 5:27 pm on August 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

Really? The Republican nomination this year might turn on whether Iowans hold a grudge against a strong candidate because he stole a bit of buzz from one of the most ridiculous spectacles in electoral politics?

Stealing some of the media attention away from the Straw Poll and the candidates that are participating on Saturday may seem like a savvy thing to do, but it comes at a high price. Perry now risks alienating the very people he needs to support him in order to win the nomination. It also seems arrogant to think that he can steal the some of the spotlight from Ames. National members of the media are already in Iowa to cover the lead up to the straw poll and Thursday night’s Fox News Debate. Perry is basically going to attempt inject himself in to the national news story, but his speech and entrance into the race will not match the excitement of Ames.

The RedState gathering in Charleston, South Carolina, takes place from Friday through Sunday. Perry could have arranged his schedule to announce either before or after the Straw Poll. Iowans won’t forget this

To win the caucuses and ultimately win the Republican nomination, Perry needs Iowa. Perry has found a way make Iowa more difficult than it needs to be. Ironically, Perry has done a better job of insulting Iowa Republicans than Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman have done by just avoided the state.

I have always said that Iowans will take seriously those candidates who take us seriously. It appears that Governor Perry doesn’t even respect us, let alone take us seriously.

He respects Iowa enough that he’ll be in Waterloo, on Bachmann’s home turf, the day after the poll to speak at the Black Hawk County Republicans’ fundraising dinner. His supporters on the ground in Iowa are also urging straw-poll participants to write him in, hoping that a surprisingly strong showing will be a second body blow to Bachmann and T-Paw on Saturday. Good enough for Iowans to feel the warm fuzzies of fealty? Maybe not: Perry’s supporters are sufficiently worried about a parochial backlash that the finance chief of Americans for Perry (an independent group) told Byron York that he’s not formally announcing on Saturday because he respects the straw poll so darned much. Think anyone will buy it, especially since he could have held his informal announcement back a day and done it in Waterloo instead?

Read Alana Goodman’s post on this at Commentary. She’s right that the reaction has less to do with Perry than with Iowans feeling jittery that the state won’t matter as much in the future, especially after neither the straw-poll winner last time (Romney) nor the caucus winner (Huckabee) ended up on the ticket. If Bachmann or Paul duplicate that feat this year, it’ll change some strategies in 2016.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Timed to tell Iowa where to go. How is it that some hick state gets to dictate to the rest of the country?

How many electoral votes do they get anyway?

Twana on August 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM

crybabies

Knott Buyinit on August 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM

As a Texan, all I gotta say is, Go Perry, go f*ck with those spoiled Iowans. In fact, Perry and Palin should both appear in Iowa with announcements right before their $35 per vote scheme they call a straw poll.

lonestar1 on August 9, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I visited Iowa once. That did it for me.

Mason on August 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Get over yourselves, Iowa, with your stupid, expensive, and meaningless straw poll!

SilentWatcher on August 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I visited Iowa once. That did it for me.

Mason on August 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Until 4 months ago I claimed that I was Iowan by birth-Illinoisan by force(I was 2 1/2 when we moved to IL).
Now I can disown both states.
Yea!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I remember the significance of South Carolina in 2008. I remember it seemed like John McCain’s primary campaign was going to end in South Carolina. The South Carolina litmus test is significant.

Romney came in 4th in South Carolina Republican Primary in 2008.

I think Rick Perry is positioning himself smartly The only Southern Governor running. Johnson is an Ex Governor of NM.

This charts shows state by state how many electoral votes they have in the General.

Perry’s campaign folks have to be looking at the big picture. They are going to come at this electorate from every direction.

Dr Evil on August 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Those big-headed Iowans (present company excepted, to any Iowa HA folks :-) — they have only SIX electoral votes for 2012 –they even lost 1 since the last election! Even my own beloved, humble Kansas has 6 votes. Sheesh! Talk about overblown egos.

KS Rex on August 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

This is shrewd politics. Perry ain’t doing this as a test. When he decides to run he means to win.
These corncobs need to get a life outside corn, hogs and politics.

cartooner on August 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Hey Iowa: F* you.

KSgop on August 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Iowa, schmIowa.
Look out for the redneck from Texas who is about to kick a** and take names!
RUN RICK, RUN!

MITX on August 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM

My hope is enough conservative Iowans buck the arrogance and vote for Perry when it counts… at the caucus, because Mitt has New Hampshire. Without Iowa or NH, Perry will have a tough road… and we’ll face another McCain/Dole wipeout…

PA Guy on August 9, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Just for that, I’m kind of hoping now that Ron Paul wins the straw poll. Maximum relevance! -Allahpundit

I remember when Allahpundit was telling Mitt Romney it was a HUGE RISK to skip the Iowa Straw Poll.

Once again Romney is ahead of the curve.

Let us also admit here and now that Iowa needs to be removed as the first caucus. They are awful at choosing presidents.

scotash on August 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I really tire of Iowa. The arrogance is breathtaking.

Didn’t the RNC change the election process to de-empahized Iowa, NH, and SC?

ramrants on August 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM

ZZZZZZ. The old don’t diss me bro threat. The only thing missing is some pledge for Perry to not sign that this bore can be really, really outraged over.

Buy Danish on August 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Iowa may be able to have a say in who the establishment GOP candidate may be but they no longer have a say in who the GOP nominee will be. Politics as usual has ended and so has the reign of terror of the RINOs.

If these states that have these early primaries and straw polls want to really have an influence any longer they better start cleaning up their acts. The first sign of goodwill would be to close these primaries to registered Republicans only. Stop allowing Democrats to get in there and create momentum for RINOs like Dole, McCain and Romney. If not, then there delegates get cut in half.

They had better wake up. I think this is the last election with only two parties if we don’t get rid of these parasite-wanabes known as RINOs. They are no better than moderate Democrats they just know they couldn’t get elected in most places if they didn’t talk out of both sides of their mouths – like a Dem.

Sporty1946 on August 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM

A bit dramatic considering the circumstances. First of all, the whole announcement story is just based on unconfirmed news reports right now. Second, Perry can’t compete in the Fox News debate since he hasn’t made his candidacy official yet. And third, Perry’s supporters tried to get him included in the Ames poll, but were reportedly turned down by the Iowa GOP.

Also, a month ago the Perry people wanted to buy a booth on the Iowa grounds and were told they couldn’t. He was willing to buy a space (which not all candidates are doing), actually be there (which not all candidates are doing) and be allowed in the debates and be on the ballot.

He was denied all these things by the Iowa Republicans. He wanted to play with them but was denied.

So why are they so miffed now? I think it’s just a few of them or those already rooting for another candidate.

Elisa on August 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Right??? I’m in Texas and have the same complaints!

Hey, Iowa. I’m from Indiana and honestly I’m sick to death of the party’s candidate being chosen before I even have a chance to vote in a primary so I really don’t care that you’re upset.

I think Iowans better get happy for the country. I think Perry’s timing is excellent actually. It couldn’t come at a better time politically.

Oink on August 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM

maables on August 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I’m from NJ and I agree with both of you. I have the same situation here and we all have more electoral votes than Iowa.

Elisa on August 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM

OMG this Rick Perry “will he or won’t or when will he” stuff is now nails on a chalk board annoying.

What the hell does Perry need to announce on Saturday during the straw poll anyway…the guys has been stringing his announcement along for weeks? DON’T answer that…..I could care less. This is amateur hour.

sheryl on August 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Perry put his left foot in and he took it back out…and he put his right foot in and shook it all about. But when will he descend from Texas Olympus and take the nomination that he has schemed with the Texas money men to scoff up?

Wait and see. Perry will come in and go out many times expecting we will only see his pretty smile and drawl as if Texas means that much outside of Texas.

jimw on August 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Oh, who gives a rat’s hairy a$$ what Iowans remember. Or think. Iowans have been sending Tom Harkin to Congress for 35 years, for God’s sake, which shows how much their opinions are worth.

SukieTawdry on August 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Iowa just needs to get over itself. Jeez.

flipflop on August 10, 2011 at 7:22 AM

as if Texas means that much outside of Texas.

jimw on August 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM

I’m not tied to anyone yet, but I think this is why Texas matters, and why I’ll listen:

“Texas adds 732,800 jobs in 10 years; no other state tops 100,000″

rogerb on August 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM

I wish DE would pass a law mandating that no matter what Iowa and NH do, DE must do it first by a week. Elections, straw polls, state fairs, whatever.

Akzed on August 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Whoa, whoa, WHOA…. like I said in my earlier comment, I’m an Iowa Republican, and I think this guy was being whiny, vindictive, petty, and WAY out of line… but jeez, considering the comments that followed, you guys must absolutely HATE the state of Iowa! “Some hick state”? Really?? Sounds an awful lot like the type of elitism that coastal liberals engage in, especially regarding “flyover country.”

I agree that the Iowa caucuses are too early, and carry too much weight. I agree that Iowa’s actual electoral clout is distorted by the schedule of the primary season. I agree that ethanol subsidies are wrong-headed and wasteful, and have to go. But why the hell are you all dumping on the state itself? If you don’t like Iowa, then don’t come to visit–I’ll totally understand. Heck, I feel the same way about New Jersey!

What I think we need is a series of primaries (or caucuses, if that’s the route people want to go) that group several states together on the same date. That would give a clearer picture of the will of the voters, as well as reducing the outsize clout that early states like Iowa and New Hampshire have, while giving other states (like the above-mentioned Indiana) a bite at the apple. I, for one, would prefer that all of the states have a chance to have primaries with all of the candidates, with the actual nominee chosen at the convention rather than by default as the other candidates drop out for various reasons.

TSUGambler on August 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM