Report: Perry to announce, sort of, on Saturday; Update: Perry ad added

posted at 3:25 pm on August 8, 2011 by Allahpundit

Might be an official announcement or it might be unofficial but clear enough. Either way, he’s in. By Saturday night, he’ll be in New Hampshire attending a house party thrown by a state representative who had encouraged him to run for president.

Say, isn’t something else happening on Saturday?

Rick Perry intends to use a speech in South Carolina Saturday to make clear that he’s running for president, POLITICO has learned.

According to two sources familiar with the plan, the Texas governor will remove any doubt about his White House intentions during his appearance at a RedState conference in Charleston.

It’s uncertain whether Saturday will mark a formal declaration, but Perry’s decision to disclose his intentions the same day as the Ames straw poll—and then hours later make his first trip to New Hampshire— will send shockwaves through the race and upend whatever results come out of the straw poll…

Perry is expected to head to Iowa in the days following his New Hampshire trek, too, POLITICO has learned.

I’m a bit surprised that he’d bigfoot the straw poll and deny the winner his/her day in the sun, but it’s good strategy. If, as expected, Bachmann wins, he needs to short-circuit her buzz and blunt her momentum ASAP before she consolidates more of the tea-party votes he needs. If Ron Paul or Pawlenty pulls the upset, then having Perry enter just as Bachmann hits the iceberg will make him an obvious choice to pick up her supporters as they abandon ship. Either way, he can’t waste a moment in taking her on, especially with Palin ready to enter and compete for those same voters. Frankly, I half-expect to see him in the front row at the debate on Thursday night, scowling at Romney and punching his fist into the palm of his other hand.

Exit question: How funny would it be if Palin suddenly announced on Saturday too?

Update: Not a moment to lose:

The first Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Iowa’s Likely Caucus Participants shows that Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann attracts 22% support, while former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney earn 21%. Just slightly behind is Texas Congressman Ron Paul at 16%, followed by Texas Governor Rick Perry at 12% and former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty at 11%…

Bachmann is the most popular candidate among potential caucus-goers. Seventy percent (70%) have a favorable opinion of her, including 37% with a Very Favorable opinion. No other candidate in the field earns Very Favorable reviews from more than 20%.

Update: Via Bryan Preston, here’s what the RP fans at Students 4 Perry cooked up a few days ago.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How about injecting all young girls with Gardasil so he could get Merck’s campaign cash?

That’s a fact. He is a typical politician.

PS: Sarah is running.

stenwin77 on August 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

That’s another lie. There was a parental opt-out with Gardisil before legislation to stop it entirely was passed. legislation Perry didn’t veto, BTW.

cartooner on August 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Seal Team 6 killed Osama and Obama killed America.

derft on August 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Indeed. We know that, but the left will play a movie on Oct. 12, 2012, all about how Obama did it.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Oh, and it s/b SEAL Team, always!!!

Only stupid Maureen Dowd doesn’t know.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM

you know I believe the founders placed impeachment in the consitution to stop leaders like Obama from what he is trying to do.

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Not speculating, you would be surprised who I met but I’m keeping that to myself for the time being.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM

You met with Jean Devon?

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM

+100

derft on August 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM

YYZ on August 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM

If Obama isn’t afraid of what Palin does, he should be. If she doesn’t run, she will energize the Tea Party nationally adding all the enthusiasm and get out the vote energy Obama had in ’08 but won’t in ’12. The Republican civil war the Dems have been hoping for will be a united revolution against his majesty’s crown.

cartooner on August 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Levi and his sister.

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Weren’t you on a cruise? How much time to they let you spend at the ports of call?

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM

We stayed in Juneau overnight, which was way too long….same with Skagway. I also spent 2 days on my own in Anchorage.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM

PappyD61 on August 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

It didn’t stop him from getting elected the Governor of Texas, and it’s not going to stop him getting elected the President of the United States. Get used to it, this is American Politics, and this ain’t Perry’s first rodeo.

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Ahh, Anchorage. My old stomping grounds. So you seem to be insinuating that someone in Juneau gave you an inside scoop on something.

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Who would have thought in this rodeo Perry would be a stalking horse.

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Awww, yeah. I can’t wait for the Obama v. Perry debates.

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Who would have thought in this rodeo Perry would be a stalking horse.

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I am hoping at this point they all jump in. That includes Palin, then we can watch the David Axelrod piss his pants :) That’s good fun right thar, even better if Chris Matthews is interviewing him about his political incontinence…Mr Axelrod what’s that trickling down your leg LOL!

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I literally tripped across it in a most unusual setting. Lot’s of multi-tasking folks up there in Alaska. Juneau is where I also saw the bumper sticker that said…

“Palin 2012-2014-1/2 for President”

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Oh, I meant show up TO debate, not sit in the audience. She needs to start making inroads with independents and skeptical Republicans.
Doughboy on August 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Ed speculated earlier that either she or Perry would be a “special guest” – hence my concern she might just show up to make waves. Now (as I suspected, because this theory made no sense) we know the guest was not a potential candidate.

Buy Danish on August 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

PS: Sarah is running.

stenwin77 on August 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Sure she is.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Awww, yeah. I can’t wait for the Obama v. Perry debates.

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Really? Because it’s McCotter, that’s going to tear the light bringer a new one.

American Politics is a contact sport, James Carville.

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I literally tripped across it in a most unusual setting.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Why don’t you document your scoop in an email and send it to Cindy or unseen. They won’t post it and you can show us all how right you are and that we were wrong to doubt you.

derft on August 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM

stenwin77 on August 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

My guess is his wife had more influence over that decision than Merck did.

Regardless, nobody’s saying Perry is perfect. He’s not, nobody is. But he’s been an effective governor, and he’d make a far better president that the worthless, feckless POS who’s in the job now.

AZCoyote on August 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM

The more the merrier, as long as someone tears him a new one. No more namby pamby nice guy stuff. I am going to be so ticked off if we nominate another McCain who just plays footsie the whole time. I want to see Obama crushed and humiliated — in the peaceful, democracy loving sense, of course.

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Maybe Perry is holding off as long as possible, to minimize how much damage little Bammie can do to Texas when he does.

slickwillie2001 on August 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM

For his charlatanry alone. Until then the media will fight hard, but the folks no longer believe them because they’ve been so derelict.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

yeap the more the merrier and let the best candidate win. Mitt is toast.

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Sorry for the double…mh, this shouldn’t even be possible.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Juneau is where I also saw the bumper sticker that said…

“Palin 2012-2014-1/2 for President”

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Bwaa haa haa. That is funny. =)

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 4:47 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

It would be counter productive. For example, Kay Bailey Hutchinson’s Senate seat is open in 2012. I am guessing the democrats would like to pick up seats in Texas – that doesn’t work if you anger the citizens of Texas. But these are the same people who are bashing and attacking the people who influence our interest rates the S&P so I it’s probably 50-50 they cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

derft on August 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I’m under contract, that would be a breach.

Case closed.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Yes. The media nuked the fridge in 2008. They will say ridiculous things (like they are right now about the Tea Party) about any conservative, but they were so over the top with Palin in 2008 that I think most people will tune them out in 2012.

On a side note, I wonder how much Axelrod is paying the Perry hating concern trolls? They must be getting paid by the word.

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Seeing Perry at the podium is like looking at Bush 43 all over again.

DEJA “BAD” VU.

Didn’t we learn anything by running after the “Compassionate Conservative” “Change the tone” George W. Bush in 2000?

We are dumber than I thought if we can’t find anyone smarter than this Used Car Salesman from Texas theme to trot out again.

Disaster!!!

***and really with the Palin Love?

She talks about how horrible Obama is but, ehhh, what’s the rush?

By her own words with Perry and Bachmann in the race she shouldn’t have to run herself. Perry more than meets her “executive experience” requirement that she laid out. Now, Conservatives4Palin is harping about the deficits that Perry ran up. C4P is almost as bad as Obama’s Organizing for America website (as far as complete blind devotion).

We need a Warrior, a FEARLESS True-Con to lead the party that owes no one but the American People and will not be afraid of bound by political correctness.

So Far………not seeing it.

PappyD61 on August 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

PappyD61 on August 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

you are a complete moronish troll. by that post you show that you know nothing about Perry or any of his stances on the issues.

chasdal on August 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM

PappyD61 on August 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Sorry, but you don’t know what you are talking about. During the Obamacare debates I went to an OFA rally just to see how they were spinning it. The volunteers were wearing green armbands. Periodically, the entire crowd broke out into chants of “yes we can”. Every time the speaker mentioned a Republican, the crowed ‘hissssssed’ in unison. “thank you president Obama” signs were everywhere. It was truly scary stuff.

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Daaay-UM!
I need a smoke after that ad!
Brilliant.
Perry 2012!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM

PappyD61 on August 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

When you hypoventilate, you should put a paper bag over your head and take shallow breaths.

idesign on August 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Oh, yeah, and the green arm banded volunteers did a cute little parade down the aisles of the meeting hall, holding their big O logos overhead while the crowd chanted “yes we can”. Seriously, all that was missing was the goose stepping.

I was kicking myself for not having a video camera. I will be ready in 2012, though.

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I’m getting pretty tired of that same doomy dramatic music being used for ads (which is particularly jarring when we’re supposed to feel optimistic while learning about Perry), but other than that, good web ad.

Buy Danish on August 8, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Man does that ad suck. The music sucks and the point of the ad appears to be to get people to move to TX.

and man does Perry sound like bush.

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Rick Perry / Amilya Antonetti 2012 !!!!!!

UltimateBob on August 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I LOVE this woman!

itsacookbook on August 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Praise God! And woohoo! I’ve been looking forward to this RedState event and hoping he’d use it to announce.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I mentioned to my husband that accent-wise…he does sound like GWB.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’m under contract, that would be a breach.

Case closed.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Contract for what?

This smells fishy.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Until then….

Brian1972 on August 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM

McCotter will bring the dry witty devastating intellectual riposte. He’ll hit high while Perry hits low. And the rest of them can pile on as they wish. They will all beat him up pretty bad.

YehuditTX on August 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Just watched the video…

Was waiting for that toothpaste gleam on his teeth on that last shot…LOL

idesign on August 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Want to know more about Rick Perry? I’ve put together two rather long, factual compilations of information about Governor Perry. One is devoted to what his critics are saying (the negatives); the other covers the positives that supporters see in Perry. These are not my opinions, the data was compiled from many sources, but it is all verifiable – not gossip, nothing from personal blogs. Sources are cited and direct links are available for many statements.

Also please note that there are no advertisements or pop-ups, I get nothing out of a visit except the personal satisfaction of providing some facts to counter so much misinformation that is beginning to surface.

Check out either one, or both, at Pesky Truth. Just click HERE.

Garnet92 on August 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Perry’s non-candidacy is like being with a chick who can’t orgasm.

Get on with it or get out of bed please.

rickyricardo on August 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM

You must be a virgin. You do know the woman likes a little help sometimes with that, right?

ddrintn on August 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Another exit question: if Palin runs and wins the nomination after beating Romney AND Perry AND Bachmann AND Pawlenty, how many will still be saying she’s utterly unelectable?

ddrintn on August 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I mentioned to my husband that accent-wise…he does sound like GWB.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I don’t know if it will hurt him or not but it is what is. the dems will use a lot of radio ads IMO if Perry is the nominee.

if you don’t see who is talking you think it’s GWB.

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

It’s Hutchison, and we are already angry.

PakviRoti on August 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I liked the ad. It was dramatic so it suited the dramatic times we’re living in. I’m familiar with the music (I’m a skating fan and it’s used a lot) and I thought it was a powerful, fast-paced choice for the ad. I just wish it had left the words up longer, but Perry has plenty of time to hammer home just how good the TX job-market is, it’s a looooong campaign.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Check out either one, or both, at Pesky Truth. Just click HERE.

Garnet92 on August 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

BMFL

unseen on August 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Perot once said, “Measure twice and cut once”. I’m sure Perry is doing the same since he’s never lost an election and doesn’t want to start now.

TxAnn56 on August 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM

The muddled field is over. Today is the beginning of something new. It might not be morning in America, but the coffin has been ordered prematurely too.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM

IOW, the reports of America’s death are greatly exaggerated? Love it!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I like that he sounds like GWB (Perry’s voice is actually a litle smoother and deeper) because GWB represents the good old days of 5-6% unemployment. There’s something about a TX drawl that’s comforting (and I’m from the upper Midwest, born and raised).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Perry’s from west Texas-not east Texas.

He has a twang-not a drawl.
*I’m surrounded by ‘twangs’ LoL*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Thank you for the correction, alt :o) My point is just that even as a life-long Midwesterner, I love the TX accent — either drawls or twangs ;)

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Good on ya, Rick. Welcome to the party. We are glad you are here!
Keep praying for America. We’re going to need all the help we can get.

humdinger on August 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Until 4 months ago(4 months today actually) I lived in Chicago-remember? LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I think it is tactless of Rick Perry or anyone else to make a “Presidential” announcement on the day of the Ames straw poll. The folks in Iowa have gone to a lot of time and invested a lot resources to host a successful event.

Imho, nobody should be trying to upstage them or steal their thunder.

technopeasant on August 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Both Perry and Obama inherited Bush economies, but under Perry’s leadership Texas saw its credit rating raised while under Obama America saw its credit decline.

Daemonocracy on August 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Of course I remember, lol! I wasn’t being sarcastic, I really appreciated the correction :)

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Imho, nobody should be trying to upstage them or steal their thunder.

technopeasant on August 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I agree, although I must admit I am tired of Iowa trying
to be “all that” in regards to the primary; and who really cares about their, or any, silly straw poll!

In regards to stepping on “the folks in Iowa” some may
say that Palin stepped on “Romney’s toes” when she had
her clambake. Since I think most of it is theatre anyways,
I don’t really care what they do.

What I want to see is a comparison of all their records.
I also want to see a debate with serious questions with
a moderator who isn’t a tool for the libs. Fat chance
that!

I will vote for Palin if she runs; don’t know who I will
vote for if she doesn’t; I really don’t think any one of the
Seven Plus Dwarfs compares to Snow White!

Regardless, I will vote for the GOP candidate in the general.

Therefore, as far as I am concerned, let them play their silly political games. I really think this country is doomed if Palin doesn’t come into office and govern
like she did in Alaska. And, I don’t know about you, but
everywhere I go – hair stylist, dentist, restaurants, etc.
everyone is talking about the debt, Obama and the election.
And most of them, if they are not small business owners, don’t know what the heck is going on. I heard a mom with two little kids tell the grocery store clerk that she was sick of the tea party terrorists; that they were behind the ruination of our country. I held my temper; then told the
clerk after they left “What a dumbass”. The clerk laughed.

Amjean on August 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Aslans Girl on August 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Did you see my LoL?
I was kiddin’ with ya.
You know I’m a snark. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM

TX RINO braggart powers activate!

Form of, an open borders RINO!
Shape of, a televangelist!

rightwingyahooo on August 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM

The only good thing about Perry getting in is that the Palindrones’ heads will explode.

Other than that, this TX RINO braggart is a disaster.

rightwingyahooo on August 8, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Other than that, this TX RINO braggart is a disaster.

rightwingyahooo on August 8, 2011 at 7:10 PM

The economy is thriving in Lubbock.
Speak for yourself.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Perry’s non-candidacy is like being with a chick who can’t orgasm.

Get on with it or get out of bed please.

rickyricardo on August 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM

You’re doing it wrong.

How does it feel to be a failure at one more thing?

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM

This guy is a disaster-in-waiting for the GOP.

He’s the right’s version of Obama.

Notorious GOP on August 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Imho, nobody should be trying to upstage them or steal their thunder.

technopeasant on August 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Screw them! Every last ethanol-loving, SoCon’ed, bribe-taking hayseed. The folks in Ioway can GTH on a rocket sled. The Ames straw poll is a nothing but a vote-buying charade that has no place in our Democracy, let alone the kind of prominence it has simply because it is weeks ahead of anything else to talk about politically. Iowans don’t speak for the nation, for conservatives, for anyone but their own special interest grabbing, glutenous, teet-sucking yokel selves.

P.S. I’m hoping Perry gets in, but I’ll wait until the announcement before celebrating.

MJBrutus on August 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM

, teet-sucking yokel selves.

MJBrutus on August 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM

That sounds like something I would say.
Bravo!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Although Paul’s my candidate, I’d much rather pull the lever for Palin than Perry. He’s a crony capitalist, good ol boy and he doesn’t strike me as all that smart. He was totally unprepared and looked like a deer in the deadlights during his last gubenatorial debates. That may be because he didn’t figure he had competition, but still — he did not bring his A-game.

At least with Palin, we know she’ll take out the trash.

Firefly_76 on August 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I will take the Texas drawl over the Hawaiian ummm errr uhhhh stutter any day.

bitsy on August 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM

He’s the right’s version of Obama.

Notorious GOP on August 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Mmm-hmm. That’s why we Texans elected him 3 times. We love some Obama!

Marcus on August 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM

The biggest mistake Obama will make is trying to use Perry as a surrogate for Bush. They’re nothing alike. Perry is a conservative, Bush is a big spending Neo-Con.
Dontcha just love the hit-and-run trolls that pop in and buzz around? We need a flystrip in here.

cartooner on August 8, 2011 at 11:20 PM

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM

LMAO

He clearly didn’t think that one through

Daemonocracy on August 8, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Run, Perry, Run! :) :) :)

Perry/DeMint 2012

Theophile on August 9, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Imho, nobody should be trying to upstage them or steal their thunder.

technopeasant on August 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Well, it is basically a meaningless “straw” poll after all…really just an excuse to throw a party and get a little news buzz. There’s no real thunder here. If another candidate chooses to strategize his or her candidancy entry around the game all the other candidates are playing, it’s completely fair game.

starman on August 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM

cartooner on August 8, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Exactamundo. That’s about all the donks will have to throw up against Perry…”ewww he sounds like Bush”. Typical liberal non-sequiturial irrelevance. After people witness Perry tearing new ones into the light bringer one after another, comparisons to W will wilt in the sheer awesomeness of it all.

starman on August 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM