Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on August 8, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Johnny Carson used to have a great running gag in which he played Carnac the Magnificent, a man who could answer questions that he had yet to read simply by holding the envelope containing the query to his forehead. Predicting the future is pretty easy when you script the gag yourself, however. When you’re President, you’d be better off avoiding prognostication, as Barack Obama discovered on Friday. At 11 am, Obama told a crowd at the Washington Navy Yard that “things will get better” in the American economy (via Jim Hoft):

But what I want the American people and our partners around the world to know is this: We are going to get through this,” said Obama. “Things will get better, and we are going to get there together.

How did that prediction work out? Around nine hours later, S&P downgraded American debt for the first time in decades. Hi-yoooooo!

Of course, it could have been worse. Obama gave that prediction for free. His last economic prediction — that he could keep unemployment under 8% with Obamanomics — cost us over $800 billion in 2009.

Addendum: Yeah, I’m old enough to remember Carson.

Comments

What will Hot Air do for hot air after this gas bag is deflated?

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 8, 2011 at 8:08 AM

ahhh..Johnny Carson. Back when late night TV was worth losing some sleep over.

ted c on August 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

When I would get caught in a lie, my mom would wash out my mouth with soap. Where is the Ivory when you need it?!!!

herm2416 on August 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

not sure what they will do but I sure as hell want to find out…

SDarchitect on August 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM

“Things will get better, and we are going to get there together.

just follow the yellow brick road and sing “Somewhere…Over the Rainbow..!”

ted c on August 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM

It’s been three days

Fallon on August 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM

New Bumper Sticker spotted:

Competency is Overrated.
Obama 2012

kingsjester on August 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM

So what’s the over/under on a “evil corporate jet owner” speech today?

Oh and I agree with him – things will get better – I say mid January 2013 sounds about right.

gophergirl on August 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I want one of those bumper stickers!!!!

herm2416 on August 8, 2011 at 8:12 AM

kingsjester on August 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Oh my gosh – I want one!

gophergirl on August 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Not until you are gone…

OmahaConservative on August 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Things will get better, Nov. 6, 2012.

There is hope. There will be change. A new president.

publiuspen on August 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Fallon on August 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM

good point, he has his cronies and the lsm piling the blame on the tea party trying to be above it all…ha!

cmsinaz on August 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Fallon on August 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM

he’s focusing on his two fundraisers tonight…s&p, meh

cmsinaz on August 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Yeah, I’m old enough to remember Carson

Me too, he was a class act! Mr. President, not so much.

scalleywag on August 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM

he’s focusing on his two fundraisers tonight…s&p, meh

cmsinaz on August 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Is this the week of the $71,000 a person fundraiser? Oh please let that get wall to wall coverage.

gophergirl on August 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM

“On the other hand, what you’re now seeing is profit and earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal if you’ve got a long-term perspective on it.”

Profit and earnings ratios? Bwahaaa…

petefrt on August 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM

For all the brain dead liberals and moderates who fell for Obama’s con game I have one word: SAPS!!

NickDeringer on August 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM

gophergirl on August 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. Obama may actually be right about this one.

jwolf on August 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM

gophergirl on August 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM

indeed…

cmsinaz on August 8, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Yes, let’s all turn to Dear Leader for the answers because it takes too much thought to do things ourselves./

We shouldn’t be depending on any government to fix this problem–they should butt out! So sick of this broken record. That’s what I am going to call him in the future: the broken record president.

RDE2010 on August 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM

gophergirl on August 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM

No need to be so pessimistic. We’ll start to turn the corner in the fall of 2012 — once the stock market sees that Obama is going to be handily defeated. There will be a few hitches in the months that follow — as lame-duck Obama inevitably takes his parting shots at the nation that rejected him — but business owners will begin to feel more optimistic as they realize that the tax and regulatory straitjackets they’ve been in will be loosened by the incoming administration.

AZCoyote on August 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Carson only pulled that stunt off because he had a straight man -Ed McMahon to sit and luagh at his absurdity.

With Obama, I’m afraid Obama plays both roles – Carson and McMahon while we continue to play the role of a dutiful laughtrack audience who marvel at his cleverness.

That he is not yet impeached, reflects more upon our cowardness and ineptness than it does his failures. It reflects also upon the failures of a GOP that really has no idea how, or intent, to stop him.

(Could it be that Obama doesn’t see taking down America as a failure, but as success in acheiving his goal?)

Don L on August 8, 2011 at 8:33 AM

OT: Ed, we really missed hearing from Marcia up in the headlines this weekend…

OmahaConservative on August 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Hasn’t Dear Liar been promising that for the last three years?

rbj on August 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM

He forgot to add,…’just not as fast as we’d like’. I would add not as long as you occupy the WH.

Kissmygrits on August 8, 2011 at 8:47 AM

herm2416 on August 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Racist…

turfmann on August 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM

What will Hot Air do for hot air after this gas bag is deflated?

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 8, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Fret not. Plenty more where he came from.

katy the mean old lady on August 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

More of the vague promises design to hide the fact that “get better” means a completely Marxist society where only Obama and the Washington elite live in comfort.

csdeven on August 8, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Who knew that when Obama said he deserved a ‘good solid b-plus’ he was predicting our future debt rating.

fossten on August 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM

“I didn’t say ‘hope and change’… tomorrow. I said today.”

Akzed on August 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM

But it wasn’t his fault, see…

beatcanvas on August 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Profit and earnings ratios? Bwahaaa…
petefrt on August 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Actually, now that I see that whole quote, it doesn’t look like much of a mistake. He looks like he was referring to profits as one subject, and earnings ratios as another subject, which would make sense as a statement. Particularly since they are connected with an ‘and’, I think people were jumping the gun to assume he had garbled “price to earnings ratios”.

Count to 10 on August 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM

“When you have no clue…lie.” Official Motto of the Obama Administration.

coldwarrior on August 8, 2011 at 9:18 AM

OmahaConservative on August 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM

+ One Trillion!

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

katy the mean old lady on August 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Unfortunately on both sides of the aisle.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM

So, what wrong with remembering when Johnny Carson ran the Tonight Show?

Fynxbell on August 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Anyone see Cokie Roberts this weekend? F&F played a clip from yesterdays morning news show, and Cokie said the real problem we have right now, is the Constitution, and divided government.

Gee…I wonder where she was going with that statement? Hmmmmm? We’ve known the news to be liberal for a lot of years now, but to go so far as to say that on a national tv show, to potentially millions of viewers? Good God!!! These people truly want a monarchy, and they want Obama as their king!!!

capejasmine on August 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM

“When you have no clue…lie.” — Official Motto of the Obama Administration

Close, offical motto is just lie all of the time, that’s all they have

skanter on August 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Who are “we”, Barry? You and Michelle, and nobody else? And “we” are going to “get there” together? Where? Greece?

Maybe that’s why Obama set up Greek columns for his speech!

Steve Z on August 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I’m waiting for the day when voters say in one voice, “I hold in my hand THE LAST ENVELOPE!”

CurtZHP on August 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM

ahhh..Johnny Carson. Back when late night TV was worth losing some sleep over.

ted c on August 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Yep, the current jackasses of late night are not fit to even be compared to Carson.

slickwillie2001 on August 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

He didn’t say things would get better tomorrow! Not better next week.

katablog.com on August 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Net Neutrality strikes again.

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

mizflame98 on August 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Tomorrow…tomorrow…..I love ya

Oh wait….different thread.

Tim_CA on August 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

What will Hot Air do for hot air after this gas bag is deflated?

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 8, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Well, i assume there will still be Democrats in Congress…

psrch on August 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I grew up with Carson…

And aren’t we lucky, those of us who know. :)

golfmann on August 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

CurtZHP on August 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM

That’s beautiful poetry…. lol

golfmann on August 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

we cannot afford to keep doing what we’ve been doing. We owe our children a better future. We owe our country a better future. And for all those who dream of that future tonight, I say—let us begin the work together. Let us unite in common effort to chart a new course for America.

The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth. This was the moment—this was the time—when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves and our highest ideals. Thank you, God bless you, and may God bless the United States of America.

From his nomination speech…..

JUST. WORDS. It’s all he’s got.

Jvette on August 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM

ahhh..Johnny Carson. Back when late night TV was worth losing some sleep over.

ted c on August 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

These days, it’s the internet that keeps me up late (and not all of it is pr0n).

UltimateBob on August 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Apparently, among Obamacrats, BEING WRONG” is the “New Being Right”!!!

Geithner…Obama…Krugman…

QED

landlines on August 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

So, what wrong with remembering when Johnny Carson ran the Tonight Show?

Fynxbell on August 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

So, nobody remembers Steve Allen? How about Jack Paar?

Young whippersnappers!

Solaratov on August 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

So, what wrong with remembering when Johnny Carson ran the Tonight Show?

Fynxbell on August 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

So, nobody remembers Steve Allen? How about Jack Paar?

Young whippersnappers!

Solaratov on August 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

…even Merv Griffin was better than the current jerks.

slickwillie2001 on August 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Carmac says “Obama a one term president”.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Carnac: Worse than Carter

ED McMahan: Worse than Carter, Yes!….hahaha.

Carnac: How has Obowma been as president?

dthorny on August 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

And just after he talked today the DOW plunged again!

If I were smart I might see a pattern here.

DSchoen on August 8, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Carnac: “Five hundred thirty two.”

Ed: “Five hundred thirty two.”

[Carnac stares at Ed as he opens the envelope]

Carnac: “How many days are left in the Obama administration?”

Freelancer on August 9, 2011 at 3:03 AM