Newsweek keeping it classy in presidential coverage

posted at 8:45 am on August 8, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Memo to conservative women: When approached by Newsweek or Time for a cover story, always bring your own photographer.  Michelle Malkin knows a thing or two about the predilection at the news magazines for using unflattering photos on their covers, and this week’s cover of Michele Bachmann is no exception to that trend.  In this case, they’re not even being subtle, as Time did with its Ann Coulter cover a few years ago in which they distorted the perspective to give the firebrand author exaggerated length to her legs and a shrunken torso.  Newsweek perches a blank-looking Bachmann over block letters calling her “THE QUEEN OF RAGE”:

Rage?  I’ve certainly heard Bachmann talk tough about encroaching government and the avalanche of spending and debt, but in all the years I’ve known and covered Bachmann, I’ve never heard her rage at anyone.  It seems as though Newsweek has a double standard in effect for conservatives, women, and especially conservative women.  When Barack Obama told an audience in June 2008 that “if they bring a knife to a fight, we bring a gun,” did Newsweek crown him the King of Rage — or at any time in his class-warfare-based presidential campaign?  For that matter, when Debbie Wasserman-Schultz stated that Republicans wanted to reinstate Jim Crow laws, did anyone accuse her of being filled with rage?  Not exactly.

The Boss Emeritus notes that the signal has been sent and received by Newsweek/The Daily Beast to the sinistrophere:

The once-mighty Newsweek magazine-turned-Beast is apparently so proud of its Democratic Underground-pandering Michele Bachmann cover and title that its editors are promoting the photo and pushing the hashtag #QueenofRage on Twitter.

And the left-wing press is eating it up:

Gawker, predictably: “Ha ha, just kidding—they don’t call her CrazyEyes for nothing.”

The Village Voice rejoices after receiving a high-res image of the cover (and dutifully cropping Bachmann’s eyes).

They’re promoting this through a Twitter hashtag?  Yeah, that’s keeping it classy.

Conservative candidates have to learn that Newsweek, Time, and other mainstream publications won’t be their friends, or even be objective.  They plan on making news, not reporting it.  This is just one of the least subtle examples we’ll see in the next fifteen months.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

they’ve magically disappeared in the
next, they’ve either had Botox or gone under the knife.

There’s a huge difference between botox shots, which are temporary and NOT plastic surgery, and “15 facelifts” as you proclaimed.

Nice walkback.

spinach.chin on August 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM

They didn’t even air brush out the crows feet around Michelle Bachmann’s eyes. She should know better, she appears on MSNBC as does Tina Brown so she thinks she is going to get a fair shake? They are just sucking her in so they can do a number on her. She needs to become a lot more media savvy.

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Her eyes are too close together, and her nose is longer than a true American nose.

~Joseph Gobbels

BobMbx on August 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I’m going to have to subscribe to Newsweek now just so I can cancel my subscription!

diogee on August 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Crazy eyes……like a dolls eyes.

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Superficial comments towards a 50 some year old woman, when the real story is how Newsweak portrays her. *sigh*

Why touch up? Why do surgeries, or procedures? She should be proud of her age, and appearance. She’s still very much in shape, and doesn’t look 50. She’s raised a lot of kids, and foster kids, and worked most all of her life, and still looks fantastic.

You go Michelle. You’ve nothing to be ashamed of, and you’ve earned every wrinkle, crows feet, and gray hair.

capejasmine on August 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Crazy eyes……like a dolls eyes.

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Black eyes…lifeless eyes…when they come at you, they don’t seem to be livin’…

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I’ve seen enough interviews with the woman to be able to tell that she’s had work done.
Doughboy on August 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM
——————————————–
That’s good enough for me. Case closed./

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on August 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM

The good Doctor hits a grand slam.

Jerome Horwitz on August 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Remember, this same magazine once called Obama “god of all things.”

jdawg on August 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Black eyes…lifeless eyes…when they come at you, they don’t seem to be livin’…

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Show me the way to go home
I’m tired and I want to go to bed….

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Why do Conservative candidates keep on going to the most Liberal media especially losers like the moribund Newsweak? (Misspelling intended).

FactsofLife on August 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM

It’s NOT misspelling…they actually misspelled it on their own cover!

landlines on August 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

They have already intimated her husband is a closet gay.

Dr Evil on August 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I have seen numerous interviews with him and “I able to tell”…doughboy

right2bright on August 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Sooner or later Conservatives are going to have to accept that Libs deserve nothing less than full blown attacks – just like they give to anyone they disagree with. I’m sick of listening to people telling the Right that we should take the high road and not sink to the level of the Left. They understand nothing but spite and bile – why should we waste our time trying to be reasonable with them?

katiejane on August 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Black eyes…lifeless eyes…when they come at you, they don’t seem to be livin’…

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Show me the way to go home
I’m tired and I want to go to bed….

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

…’Cause I had acouple a drinks ’bout an hour ago-and they went straight-to-my-head…

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I can see what the complaint about this picture is, however I had to look at it twice to understand. There isn’t a democrat woman who looks as good as Michele does even in this picture. Not even with all the touching up they give them is there even one democrat who looks this good?

Rose on August 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Show me the way to go home
I’m tired and I want to go to bed….

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Where-ever I may roam…by land or sea or foam…

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Rose on August 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Definitely agree. She’s, what, fifty? I can only hope I look half as as good at that age…crazy eyes and all.

I’m really looking forward to hearing her response to the cover. Given her endearing, self-depreciating, succinct remarks on past “controversies,” it should be pretty good.

Bee on August 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Left wing predatory DNC mouthpiece makes next attempt at character assassination and discrimination against a woman they disagree with.

DL13 on August 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM

The fact that Michele would even assume this would be a fair piece makes me doubt her instincts.

leftnomore on August 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Dear Newsweek,

I would like to apply for a position as your head photographer and/or photo editor. Upon seeing your latest cover, I can only conclude that both of them are totally inept. I would like to perform both functions and my salary requirements are their combined salaries plus 20%. As I am at least 123% better than your current photographer and photo editor, and, as your publication apparently leans to the left a little, I don’t need to tell you that that will result in HUGE savings over the course of ten years. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ike

otherkid on August 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Where-ever I may roam…by land or sea or foam…

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM

That’s not a scar. THIS is a scar.

portlandon on August 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Of course Newsweek is the decades old periodical that sold for one dollah to the 90 year old husband of Con. Jane Harmon.

After the Dems won back the House in 2006, she was, by seniority, set to run the House Intelligence Committee, but was denied chairmanship because she didn’t hate America enough.

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM

leftnomore on August 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Because no other Republican has ever made that mistake?

slickwillie2001 on August 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I never cease to be amazed how Republican politicians allow themselves to be slandared by the press, and never fight back. This is why we lose so many elections, and are always on the defensive.

Where is that fighter? Where is that person who will say, on camera, that the LSM is mostly dingbats, screwballs, fools, knaves, and traitors?

Where?

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Where?

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM

AK

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM

The cover is cheap and stupid, but the “crazy-eyes” are real. They are, as they say over at AOSHQ “old”. And I’m suspecting that in addition to the natural asymmetry that isn’t helping, her pupils look weird because of the ergotamin/bella donna/phenobarbitol she likely takes for migraine.

Get used to the pictures emphasizing the eyes, because they will keep coming.

SarahW on August 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM

ergotamine (dropped the “e)

SarahW on August 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Seriously? Are there some who haven’t grasped this, yet?

Bear in mind, when Newsweek put Palin on the cover, they didn’t even take a picture. They just used the picture from Runner’s World magazine — which they were not authorized to do.

didymus on August 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Michele Bachmann is a good solid conservative and she will get my vote over the rest of the pack. Look for her to be attacked by not just the left, but also from the status quo right.

SGinNC on August 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Put out Obama’s eyes.

He is passive aggressive and clinically NPD’d.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Newsweek?

What’s that?

I thought it was dead.

It only trots out GOP women like Michelle and Sarah when it needs to garner circulation.

As it goes through the ugly quivers of death.

Someone put Newsweek in the ground and put dirt on it.

molonlabe28 on August 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I’d buy that for a dollar.

kim roy on August 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I don’t actually know, since she wouldn’t say, what meds she uses. But triptans (an even more common migraine tx) also widen the pupils.

SarahW on August 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM

AK

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM

For what? Using the term “LSM” a few times? That is not even on the scale of what I am talking about.

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

AK

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM

TX. LA.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

TX. LA.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I understand you like Perry and Jindal Petter than Palin and want them to be president and don’t want her. I wasn’t aware of their track record of calling out the media which I thought was the topic at hand.

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Don’t worry – Fox says Obama will throw a hip hop barbecue with black people and get to the bottom of it.

Dave Rywall on August 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

If you think Palin saying LSM a few times is the only criticism she has had of the media, you obviously don’t follow her that closely. Let me know which other prospective candidate has put together something like this.

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I want this times 10,000. I want some Republican insulting them so much(true insults, of course) that the LSM is compelled to broadcast it, and fellow Republicans are compelled to repeat it.

SP still not even on the scale of what I am talking about, although she is better than everybody else in this regard.

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

OK, I think I get where you’re coming from. FOX should have given Brent Bozell and MRC Beck’s timeslot to do and hour long Newsbusters segment each day. That would have been a good start.

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Dave Rywall on August 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

You certainly are obsessed with the color of his skin, you are quite the racist.
Why I bet some of you best friends are black…
You racists should really just crawl back under a rock.

right2bright on August 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I want a Republican office holder who sounds like Ann Coulter in their criticism of the LSM. Someone who points out their lying, their hypocrisy, their laziness, their bias, their stupidity. In those terms.

“Ye be dingbats, screwballs, fools, knaves, and traitors”.

Really Right on August 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I still think people overreact to that one. It was well composed, well lit, playful, amusing, and -yes- the photographer noticed that she has smokin’ legs. Could be wrong but I imagine he wasn’t the first person to notice that.

dieudonne on August 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Sorry-seriously.
I was pointing out that they’ve ripped Obama a new one-which is far more important to me than sniping @ the media.
Jindal has always been my first choice-but he ain’t running…in 2012.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Yeah, I agree with you. That’s one of the reasons I like Palin-she crushes Obama regularly. Perry and Jindal are both great men. I hope if Perry gets in he hits Obama as wells as some of the rinos he will be sharing the stage with.

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Well, an observer may recall that we elected a guy with a halo and that didn’t work out. Of course the US electorate has the memory of a goldfish so that doesn’t matter…..

IlikedAUH2O on August 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM

They plan on making news, not reporting it.

I disagree they plan on doing all they can to get dems/libs elected in 2012.

free on August 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Kataklysmic on August 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Anything but the Bob Beckel show, please.

slickwillie2001 on August 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM

As Allah would say, “Oh my…”

One of presidential candidate Michele Bachmann’s major political opponents is defending her against what it says is blatant sexism on the part of Newsweek magazine.

Monday, the National Organization for Women (NOW) spoke out against Newsweek’s most recent cover, which features an extreme close-up of Michele Bachmann and the title “The Queen of Rage.”

“It’s sexist,” NOW president Terry O’Neill told TheDC. “Casting her in that expression and then adding ‘The Queen of Rage’ I think [it is]. Gloria Steinem has a very simple test: If this were done to a man or would it ever be done to a man – has it ever been done to a man? Surely this has never been done to a man.”

“Who has ever called a man ‘The King of Rage?’ Basically what Newsweek magazine – and this is important, what Newsweek magazine, not a blog, Newsweek magazine – what they are saying of a woman who is a serious contender for President of the United States of America…They are basically casting her as a nut job,” O’Neill said. “The ‘Queen of Rage’ is something you apply to wrestlers or somebody who is crazy. They didn’t even do this to Howard Dean when he had his famous scream.”

Del Dolemonte on August 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Well leave it to NOW to get it all wrong and stupidly. She’s not supposed to be the “rager” – She’s queen of YOU – or, rather VIOLENT TERRORIST SNAKEY FLAGGED TEA PARTIERS. They are the rage, she is their (obviously, look at the picture, unworthy) queen. Newsweek wanted to make her look vapid and stupid and wacko as possible – not a rager like Howard Dean.

Bachmann is not the queen of the Tea Party, quite the contrary; and they do not rage; however they will brand the Tea Party movement with her stamp because she is, frankly, bad for the brand on many levels.

They picked the shallowest one – crazy eyes. She has them, and I guess that’s what they feel will be stickiest in tarring the Tea Party with crazy.

SarahW on August 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Newsweek? I’m not familiar with this comic book.

warriorlawyer on August 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Her eyes!…Her EYES!…DON’T LOOK AT HER EEYYYYYEESS!

Seriously, I think this is totally unfair on Newsweek’s part. It’s like what TIME did with the OJ photo.
All credit for NOW for speaking out.

chumpThreads on August 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Newsweek has been in its death throes for quite some time now. It is a shameless liberal rag masquerading as legitimate journalism.

We can only hope it has just jumped itself off a cliff.

oakland on August 8, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I guess they have to go with the big scary cover since no one will buy the entire magazine.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I remember when the Newsweek would arrive at our house weekly…seems like forever ago..anyway, the only one that I’ve bought and has made it into my house in the last 10 years is the Sarah Palin one of last month…

CCRWM on August 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I think NOW is defending Bachman to get some credibility since they blow it with Palin all the time…and they think Bachmann can’t win…

CCRWM on August 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM

She ain’t the “Queen of Rage.” From Pecans to Pistachios, she’s the “Queen of Nuts”! Nuttiness plays in Ioway and it plays with the loonier of the silly SoCon’ed, but that’s about it. Enjoy your 15 creepy minutes MB.

MJBrutus on August 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM

But why are we talking about Al Gore?

princetrumpet on August 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Well, Bachmann has little chance to win; that’s a fair point. No skin off NOW’s nose; it’s a chance to seem to reclaim some principle without sacrificing agenda.

The complaint also draws attention to the cover, and to any and all former or future depictions of MB. Attaching MB to the brand only helps leftists.

SarahW on August 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

“There is no news in Pravda, and no truth in Izvestiya.” What do you expect from Newsweek?

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM

in japan and to the macrobiotics crowd those eyes are referred to as ‘ sanpaku’- meaning whites showing on three sides. it indicates spiritual and physical imbalance.

or so some believe.