Recall eve: New Wisconsin collective bargaining law will save Milwaukee millions in health-care costs

posted at 10:12 pm on August 8, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via John McCormack at the Standard. Tomorrow’s Recall Day, so here’s a little gasoline in the turnout engine for Hot Air readers in Wisconsin.

The city projects it will save at least $25 million a year – and potentially as much as $36 million in 2012 – from health care benefit changes it didn’t have to negotiate with unions, as a result of provisions in the 2009-’11 budget-repair measure that ended most collective bargaining for most public employees.

That saving would be partly offset by about $14 million in cuts in state aid to the city in the 2011-’13 state budget, down from earlier estimates of more than $17 million.

As a result, the city would come out with a net gain of at least $11 million for its 2012 budget, slicing into the “structural deficit” created by costs rising faster than revenue, and reducing the spending cuts that Mayor Tom Barrett and the Common Council must impose…

At that time, Barrett said the combination of aid cuts, rising expenses, a property tax levy freeze and exempting public safety workers from health care and pension benefit changes “just makes our structural deficit explode.”

“It’s a false question,” Barrett said when asked whether Walker was right in his contention that his bargaining changes more than offset the impact of his aid cuts. Barrett said most people would agree that public employees should pay more of their health care and pension costs, but Walker didn’t have to eliminate most of their collective bargaining power to do it.

Yeah. Walker should have just trusted unions to voluntarily pay more, because that’s what public-employee unions are famous for. Putting the taxpayer and fiscal solvency first.

Six Republican state senators are facing recall tomorrow, making it the single biggest recall event in American history. Democrats need to bump off three and then hold on in the final two recall elections next week, when their own incumbents will be up, in order to take back the senate and block Walker’s agenda. Here’s the election-eve poll by PPP for Daily Kos. Four races are close, one of them’s very close, and one of them looks like an easy Democratic pick-up. If you’re wavering about voting tomorrow, stop wavering.

Comments

I’m curious to know, since the state of Wisconsin is no longer withholding union dues from workers paychecks, how many public sector union employees are actually paying their dues on their own?

AP? Anyone?

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Prayer that Wisconsin does the right thing…

sandee on August 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM

go vote cheeseheads!!!!

ted c on August 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Don’t let us down!

SouthernGent on August 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Hoping the Good guys win and HOLD THE LINE!! Win big so there is no recount needed!!!

bluefox on August 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Game On Wisconsin!

Fallon on August 8, 2011 at 10:23 PM

My stomach is qweezy, does Wisconsin require an ID to vote?

El_Terrible on August 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Keep playing AUDIO ADS, hot air, and lose me forever . That is BS! Stop IT NOW!

Henny on August 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Beg and plead your Wisconsin friends to get out and vote!

Losing the Senate would be a huge blow to Walker. We got to keep the momentum going.

neoavatara on August 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Keep playing AUDIO ADS, hot air, and lose me forever . That is BS! Stop IT NOW!

Henny on August 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM

FireFox with the “no ad’s” extension are your friend.

I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

AP? Anyone?

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I head it’s down 30-50%.

Will look for the link.

artist on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

AP? Anyone?

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I don’t know about that, but auto-withholding of dues only applies if you have a contract that was executed after the bill was officially published.

A lot of areas, such as Milwaukee, forced in contracts before the bill was published to lock in auto-withholding for another 2-3 years.

teke184 on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Keep playing AUDIO ADS, hot air, and lose me forever . That is BS! Stop IT NOW!

Henny on August 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM

If you are talking about advertisement…please get FireFox with Adblock plus.
*Sorry AP*

Electrongod on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Sadly, Fred Risser isn’t being recalled…and he’s the one I would most like to see blasted out of his seat.

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Since Wisconsin is not a Right To Work State, I’m inclined to believe any dues paid are completely voluntary.

The real question is: Does the working Private sector see this savings? I know Tea Party Express and other Tea Party groups are in the mix there, so I hope they’re getting their message out.

Kini on August 8, 2011 at 10:28 PM

some win, some lose, move forward.

rob verdi on August 8, 2011 at 10:28 PM

My stomach is qweezy, does Wisconsin require an ID to vote?

El_Terrible on August 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Walker, the Fitzgeralds, and the eeeeevil Koch brothers passed voter ID, and the libs have been whining and crying about it ever since. Easy to see why. Harder to steal elections.

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM

And Obama is at a fundraiser that costs %15,000 per person.

Fiddler while Rome is burning.

BacaDog on August 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM

FireFox with the “no ad’s” extension are your friend.

I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

It’s soooo quite..you can hear a pin drop.

Electrongod on August 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I hope the incumbent Republicans have an army of poll watchers. I can see some major problems with the legality of the vote, I hope not.

Are the elections tomorrow all Republican incumbents, are any Democrats up for recall votes?

whbates on August 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM

FireFox with the “no ad’s” extension are your friend.

I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Chrome works, too.

ladyingray on August 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM

And Obama is at a fundraiser that costs %15,000 per person.

Fiddler while Rome is burning.

BacaDog on August 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM

He’s just trying to replenish his Obama Stash.

Electrongod on August 8, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Chrome works, too.

ladyingray on August 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM

So does the refresh button

Kini on August 8, 2011 at 10:32 PM

“The Congressional Budget Office has never done a cost-estimate of this [because] they were expressly told to do their modeling on single [person] coverage,”

BacaDog on August 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I would laugh if not so sad.

CW on August 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM

To Wisconsonites:

Do you remember the race riot the night of August 4 at the State Fair?

The perpetrators are the progeny of liberal ideology.

BobMbx on August 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM

whbates, I think only 2 Democrats are up and that is next week.

sandee on August 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM

BacaDog on August 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Now that is shocking, they wouldn’t do that would they? /s

whbates on August 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM

There are a lot of diehard Democrats in these parts, I think it will be tough to keep control.

WisCon on August 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM

whbates, I think only 2 Democrats are up and that is next week.

sandee on August 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM

That seem odd, why would they hold them a week later?

whbates on August 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM

WisCon on August 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM

That’s sad.I can’t say too much because I’m a Californian. Got no say here. I’ll pray that your State does the right thing.

sandee on August 8, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Noone in my district is being recalled. I know some of the family I have up there have been working to get the republicans that are being recalled re-elected and the democrats to be defeated.

I hope my fellow Wisconsinites turn out in droves and vote. I wish I could be up there to help.

Brat4life on August 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Stay strong, Wisconsin. Texas is pulling for you.

BTW, the only ones who deserve recall are the ones who fled the state. I’m against recalls, but if you’re going to have them, it shouldn’t be over policy, it should be for bad behavior, like fleeing the state to shut down the legislative process.

juliesa on August 8, 2011 at 10:51 PM

BobMbx on August 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I had a bad thought. What if those riots were practice for the recall elections?

ThePrez on August 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Isn’t Wisconsin supplying way to much excitement this year? I barely made it through the Supreme Court election.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Well, if the voters allow the donks to regain majority, they deserve everything that happens to them as a result.
I’m not going to mourn their fate.

a capella on August 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM

My stomach is qweezy, does Wisconsin require an ID to vote?

El_Terrible on August 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I has a new voter ID law, not required until next year.

Dasher on August 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM

juliesa on August 8, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I still haven’t been able to find WHY recalls are allowed when the subjects in question haven’t done anything legally wrong. I can see recalling the Dems here – they fled the f’ing state rather than do their jobs. The Repubs – they voted on issues as they were elected to do.

Anyone? Why can you recall someone just because you don’t like how they voted? Isn’t that what the next election would be for?

WTF?

RedNewEnglander on August 8, 2011 at 11:10 PM

a capella on August 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I don’t know, did you see the guys hanging out at the capitol? You would have to be a little sorry for those nuts to be in charge.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Look for Kapanke to lose, the Hopper race to be tight and the rest stay with the incumbent.

lowandslow on August 8, 2011 at 11:14 PM

events are moving so quickly around the globe and country, that these recalls are getting to look marginal at best.

rob verdi on August 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Here in my little hamlet in the Land of Cheese and Beer, the communist drones have been clawing at the door like Night of the Living Dead, I’ve received upwards of six glossy fliers in the mailbox per day, the phone’s ringing off the hook, and they’ve interrupted my lawn-mowing time not once, but TWICE. Damned communists.

All this, and my typically non-voting, AFSCME union member wife is joining me to vote tomorrow. For Hopper.

We must be living in the end times.

God Bless America, and Go Pack Go.

roscopico on August 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I sincerely hope the citizens of Wisconsin understand the importance of these elections. If the Democrats are allowed to take back control of the Wisconsin State Senate, the tactics they used will spread like wildfire to the other states that had their legislatures taken over by the Republicans. They don’t want the reforms that Scott Walker and the Republicans put in place, to have any time to really work so they have to get power to change them.

I pray the citizens who elected the Republicans are smart enough to wait and see how their policies work. If they allow them to be voted out, it will be a long time before any politician has the courage to take a vote not based on their career first.

bflat879 on August 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Knucklehead

I read somewhere some locals are retaining somewhere around 70% of their dues. Take that for whats it worth

Zaggs on August 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM

$30 million the unions poured into this race when the usual cost is around $3 million. They’ll have to do it all over again in 2012 too so even if the Republicans lose the razor thin majority (I think it’s only one seat right?) they will need to squeeze millions more from union members one year from now.

Daemonocracy on August 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Zaggs on August 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Thanks. And thanks to rest of you for your comments.

That’s got to be hurting the unions.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Please keep in mind that we were able to re-draw the district maps.

Even if the neo-com Trotskyists gain the State Senate, theirs shall be a short-lived victory.

Their tears are sweet nectar.

roscopico on August 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM

juliesa on August 8, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Exactly. When the dims don’t get what they want, they run away from their responsibilities. When they still don’t get what they want, they force a recall election. For all those people with “Recall Scott Walker” bumper stickers on their cars, where is their anger over what those dem senators did? If they are going to recall anyone, they should recall the FLeebagger Fourteen!!

I will definitely vote tomorrow. I don’t even know if anyone on the recall is in my district, but I imagine there is, because I have been inundated with “Recall Kapanke” ads on Youtube and elsewhere on the web, so I guess he is it. Along with ads praising Shiller(his dem opponent) for being “a champion of women’s health”(we all know what that means, don’t we? Women’s health=we help women kill their babies). Oh yeah, btw the ad is sponsored by Planned Parenthood. Go figure, huh?!

Sterling Holobyte on August 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM

why aren’t the Reps recalling more fleebaggers?

jimver on August 9, 2011 at 12:48 AM

I look forward to seeing the Kos Kiddies in full blown meltdown mode tommorow night.

And are any other Twin Cities residents getting these Shelley Moore ads on every page? I can’t believe that crap is floating all the way over to Hennepin county. The unions must be dumping their whole chest into these races.

Bro with the Sick Flow on August 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM

The WI Republicans need to hold back some precinct votes reports until all the democrat ones are reported. How beautifully that happened to work with the Prosser race.

I’d suspect the gravedigger’s union will be collecting absentee ballots from their place of employ.

Godspeed to the R’s. I didn’t look at the Daily Kos polling as I wanted to be able to sleep down here in SC. Anyone here make sure conservative elders have a ride to the polling places. : )

PalmettoPatriot on August 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM

I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

ditto

OmahaConservative on August 9, 2011 at 3:51 AM

roscopico on August 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM

When local politicos around here try that, I chase ‘em with my lawnmower.

Hey, it’s my yard, my property and they weren’t invited onto it, I’ve got yard work to do and I don’t appreciate being interrupted by some douche looking for votes, especially on my property during my time.

If they try it when I’m weeding or doing something else that’s less noisy, I simply tell them to “Get the [muffin] off my property.”.

So far, I’ve never had to go in the house for “the exclamation point”.

My neighbor says I got this thing going with my eyes when I say it. Scares him and he and I are pretty good friends.

SuperCool on August 9, 2011 at 6:41 AM

go vote cheeseheads!!!!

ted c on August 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM

ditto

cmsinaz on August 9, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Weeee breeeeeaaattthhhh uunnnnnniooonnnnn.

or not? Find out today.

MNHawk on August 9, 2011 at 7:24 AM

AP? Anyone?
Knucklehead on August 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I’m sure none of them are – people only pay for things when they have to – if they can get it for free they will. Basic human nature.

LODGE4 on August 9, 2011 at 8:08 AM

@Knucklehead,

Per Legal Insurrection, the Wisconsin State Journal is reporting between a 30-50% reduction.

The_Livewire on August 9, 2011 at 8:17 AM

If Republicans lose more than on seat I would be shocked and disappointed…it has been proven that Walker’s decisions have been right on, and that the dems proposals would have been a disaster.
What in God’s name can a dem be thinking to want to destroy an economy, just so he has his man in the seat? Liberals have a strange way of thinking, I just don’t get them.

right2bright on August 9, 2011 at 8:33 AM