Megyn Kelly to Mike Gallagher: I’m happy with my baby and my employer, not so much with you

posted at 5:55 pm on August 8, 2011 by Tina Korbe

An abashed Mike Gallagher appeared today on “America Live with Megyn Kelly” to (sort of) defend the remarks he made earlier this summer about Kelly’s three-month-long maternity leave. Back then, Gallagher called such a luxurious leave “a racket.”

Today, once again in the host’s chair after the birth of her second child, daughter Yardley, four months, everybody’s favorite Fox anchor appeared keen to elicit a retraction from the radio host. She all but got it.

Gallagher shamefacedly muttered several unintelligible excuses — including a half-hearted hint that he had hoped the comment wouldn’t make it through the grapevine to the great Kelly herself — before saying (one hopes jokingly!), “I’d been drinking.”

“Now you’re more along the path of what I expected,” Kelly quipped back to the man she assured viewers is, in fact, her friend.

But the power mom didn’t let Gallagher off the hook that easily.

“What is it about getting pregnant and carrying a baby for nine months and giving birth to a child that you think doesn’t deserve a little time for bonding and recovery?” she asked, after asserting at the outset of the interview that Gallagher’s comment was a “moronic thing to say.”

Gallagher really had no words. As the interview faded out, he could be heard stating frankly, “I’m sorry,” before welcoming Kelly back to Fox’s dayside.

He wasn’t the only person glad Kelly is back to revive the program that bears her name. Numerous fans on social media sites happily sounded off about Kelly’s new haircut and celebrated her return to Fox.

Unlike Gallagher, I find nothing appalling in Fox funding a three-month maternity leave for one of the top names in news. If anything, I’m just disappointed for Kelly’s sake that she had to return so soon. She says she’s not the sort of mother to be effective as a stay-at-home mom (“I’d worry that I’d get stale because I’d be missing my old life”), but I can’t help feeling at least a little bit that America’s gain is Yates’, Yardley’s and Kelly’s loss. Mother-child time is pretty precious, after all. And while all kinds of families manage to make any number of approaches to child-rearing work, in general, daycare does few favors for children (which is not to say Kelly’s kids are in daycare — I don’t know that for a fact). So, as much as I love Megyn Kelly on-air, if someday we see a little less of her because she wants to scale it back and spend more time with her kiddos, I’ll be OK with that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

FMLA allows for 12 weeks of unpaid leave for:

**to care for a new child, whether for the birth of a son or daughter, or for the adoption or placement of a child in foster care;
**to care for a seriously-ill family member (spouse, child or parent);
**to recover from a worker’s own serious illness;
**to care for an injured servicemember in the family; or
**to address qualifying exigencies arising out of a family member’s deployment

SO yeah, she took her allowed 3 months off. If she had “PTO” or however FOX does it she could have taken more time off.

exsanguine on August 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM

The woman is a lioness. I’d be afraid to debate her let alone even thumb wrestle her!

Yakko77 on August 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM

She is by far one of my favorites on FNC and not just because of her breathtaking good looks. The woman is sharp and unlike so many on FNC doesn’t come across as a total political hack even if she is unashamedly conservative IMO.

Yakko77 on August 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM

FMLA also says an employer cannot fire the employee for taking FMLA leave, although they may return in another position. I took 8 weeks paid for disability as it is considered for a c-section, saved up every vacation day, and because I worked in Miami-Dade county, they tacked on 4 more weeks of FMLA for a total of unpaid 16 weeks. I was able to stay home with my son for 7 months, 4 being unpaid.

Meghan is a long-time, highly paid employee of that network. More than likely, she has a generous paid time off, as well as she probably took full advantage of the FMLA. And, so what if FOX allows that? It’s their corporation. Don’t like their policy, then leave.

FMLA was passed by Clinton, by the way.

LadyGator88 on August 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Oh, and Mike G., men can take off FMLA also!!!

LadyGator88 on August 8, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I can’t stand Mike Gallagher. He’s a douchebag.
I’m glad Megyn’s back. Her guest hosts did a great job but there’s only one Megyn Kelly.

single stack on August 8, 2011 at 11:20 PM

If FOX allows for and gives generous time off, fine.

If she took that time AND the FMLA time (3 months), then yeah, its a bit of a racket.

The government doesn’t have any business mandating to anyone how much time off to give employees for various incidents, including childbirth.

catmman on August 9, 2011 at 12:06 AM

If she doesn’t like the system of paid leave here, she is free to move to a socialist country, which seems to be more in line with what she wants…

theaddora on August 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Women sometimes don’t understand why guys get frustrated with the 3 month stuff.

Oil Can on August 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

imagine how frustrate they’d be in France :-) Women there are allowed to take up to 3 years paid maternity leave :-)

jimver on August 9, 2011 at 1:54 AM

The only Yardley I can think of is a perfume and soap maker in England in the 60′s & 70′s.

lorien1973 on August 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

they are still out there, but not that popular anymore, at least not with the younger bunch…

jimver on August 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM

SS: govt funded with tax dollars

3 month perk: privately funded by Fox News with no tax dollars

See the difference?

angryed on August 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Yeah. I sure do see the difference.
One has been stolen from us at the point of a gun, and spent on every ridiculous, unsustainable, socialist program “Liberals” could think of.

The other, is an unsustainable program which is the result of a fairly long period of positive economic growth, which has now transformed itself into something Megyn believes she (and everyone else) “deserves”.

See the difference???

KMC1 on August 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM

I listen to Mike every morning on the way to work. I think Hot Air could easily sue him for plagiarism. If not for the headlines that appear at Hot Air he would have no content. If you listen to his show, compare his lead stories to those here on Hot Air. He’s leeching off of the greatness of HA.

cannonball on August 9, 2011 at 2:00 AM

I am happy for her and two healthy kids is fantastic. She is a blessed and good woman.

I remember back when my daughter was born I got ZERO days paid maternity, no govt help b/c I owned a car, a toyota starlet stick. No family help and “daddy” left prior to the birth. Not a sob story, just the stark truth.

I put her in daycare at 6 weeks, lying that she was 8 weeks old, b/c I could not afford to miss my $6/hour job – I ate every other day. It was horrible but it was reality & I am stronger for it today.

Coulter is wrong, single moms are not always the bane of society. Dedicated, single good moms are also able to instill values with hard work. And those bashing daycare are wrong; social skills learned there, if a good care center, are life lessons. My kid went for 12 years and is perfectly normal. Also a rabid conservative; campaigned for Rubio, Scott & Kasich.

Ris4victory on August 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Mike Gallagher is a talentless hack.

The Right would be better off without him and the likes of people like Hannity; dim bulbs who opt for talking points over substantive arguments.

mankai on August 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM

So painfully true. My daughter cannot get over the fact that although I agree with almost every position he takes — I cannot stand the sight or sound of Sean Hannity. And Gallagher is a poor man’s Hannity. Slobbering imbeciles … both of them. And O’Reilly is barely more tolerable.

We have a serious media problem with male television “conservatives”.

Jaibones on August 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

daycare does few favors for children

A good nanny is a far better alternative, IMO.

Welcome back, Megyn.

petefrt on August 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Megyn even said afterwards her chewing on him was a good natured ribbing/JOKE, they were friends and PLEASE don’t flame him on email after the segment.

Helps to watch the whole broadcast.

tree hugging sister on August 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I don’t begrudge her the time off. On the other hand, I do begrudge her the name she gave her daughter. Yardley? Really? Where on earth do people come up with these names?

dczombie on August 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I ignored the actual video before, and finally decided to watch it.

She’s an idiot, and her liberal Democrat position on paid maternity leave, “dark ages”, etc., is pathetic. Dump this nitwit and let her be happy at CNN.

Jaibones on August 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM

In America to get unlimited maternity leave, go on welfare and crank them out.

seven on August 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM

KMC1 on August 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM

That is BS. The private negotations between a company and its employees when it comes to compensation and time off is not something any of us need to concern ourselves with. It is when we start worrying about such things that the government starts imposing regulations and costs upon us.

NotCoach on August 9, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Now that FNC has gotten MK back, can they do something with “The Five” @ 5pm?? That show sucks!

ny59giants on August 9, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Anyone who thinks the news staff of FOX is nothing more than cheerleaders for the GOP has never seen Megyn interview a Republican. She and Chris Wallace lend great credibility to FOX News with their no-nonsense approaches.

Gallagher was having a bit of fun with Megyn as was she. No big deal here. It’s good to have her back on the air.

princetrumpet on August 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM

See the difference???

KMC1 on August 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Megyn “deserves” it because it’s in her contract. The FMLA requires that at least upaid leave is provided. Getting paid is up to the employer.

I received PTO for two of my three kids and I’m a Dad, not a Mom (each was a cesarean, due to a medical issue, so my sweetie really needed me home after each delivery). I didn’t go uncharged: it was paid out of my accumulated sick leave.

For my third kid, my employer couldn’t spare me, so he offered me a flex-place arrangement when I logged about 6 hours a day at home, conferenced into meetings and delivered my products – it worked out just fine for both employer and family. 10 weeks spent home in each of the three cases.

My brother is out right now due to back surgery – he’s gone 12 weeks minimum. It’s not just pregancies that knock us out – that’s a red herring. These things happen and it pays the employer to let the employee get healthy and return. It saves on training, boosts morale and makes for a productive work environment.

I’m as rabid as anyone over excessive government intrusion, but get a grip.

Cricket624 on August 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Glad she’s back but I wouldn’t mind if she took off longer. Oh, and Mike G is an idiot.

Yardley? Really? Where on earth do people come up with these names?

dczombie on August 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Makes me think of lavender soap.

Fallon on August 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

So Megyn bonds with her baby for the first three months, and then people who are not Megyn will bond with her baby after that? Megyn is wealthy enough to spend her days with Yardley until Yardley starts going to pre-school.

I remember “Dr. Laura,” whose tag lines included “I am my kid’s mom,” talking on the radio about a day care worker who made a T-shirt that said, “I am your kid’s mom.”

For some reason, the parents of the daycare kids didn’t appreciate the humor.

KyMouse on August 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Jaibones on August 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I equate it with the time the Eagles (football) signed Doug Pedersen at QB. Yeah, he’s wearing the right uniform and I hope he does well, but he sucks.

I just think we can do a whole lot better than Hannity and Gallagher.

mankai on August 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM

ny59giants on August 9, 2011 at 9:26 AM

FNC thinks it is way too cool for the room. That show does suck (as does Hannity’s “Great American Panel” – which often includes some vile, anti-American vermin he should never call “great” Americans).

I only watch FNC if something is going on or if a show has John Stossel or Ann Coulter as guests. I won’t watch BOR unless Laura is sitting in.

mankai on August 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM

We have a serious media problem with male television “conservatives”.

Jaibones on August 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Each of your thread whines, complains, and calls people names …interesting to read your posts.
I often wonder about posters who do this continuously…I hope they don’t own a gun.

right2bright on August 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Glad to have MK back, witty and intelligent. She has to lose the hair over her eye, and have her face makeup match her neck makeup–good grief, I was distracted by both the entire time!!! I imagine the male viewers weren’t quite so distracted!

herm2416 on August 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Geesh I had three months off too (and I was the first one after the law passed) and I worked also for a great corporation that did let me take that time off. Mr. PPF came to the world breech which was an emergency C-section (Miss PPF was a VERY low heartbeat while I was having insane “contractions” that I NEVER felt) but I was a housewife already.

With the first one imho it is very traumatic, difficult and bonding was really needed. My first serious surgery was that C-section; I’ve never broken a bone. Anesthesia was screwed up so I had those nasty migraines the whole hospital stay (and extended b/c of it) so I couldn’t bond nor be in my reg hosp room with the family. Blood pressure issues had me isolated from everybody.

It was very VERY hard for me and Mr. PPF did take time off the best he could. I resigned weeks after that; w/o a mom or relatives nearby for care and support it’s just not easy.

Yeah guys; go for it-carry a 30 lb. kid and pray you don’t have any of the side effects of pregnancy; hope you don’t get cut open which will make your spouse “Public Enemy #1″ but all is worth it when the angel is placed next to you and all this baby wants to be is with you/snuggles if you move.

Even though I cried and got really scared when I was told Miss PPF could die if they didn’t take her out via C-section-and I was really grateful but confused as to why I never felt a contractions when the monitor reflected them OFF THE CHART-thanks to Mr. PPF’s best anesthesiologist all the time with me he really took great care of me.

ProudPalinFan on August 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I like NOT the new haircut.

CurtZHP on August 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

4victory:
You misunderstand coulter’s point: the romance of the single mom is a fantasy as your post clearly indicates.
I do think you are the exception though.

BigAlSouth on August 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

4victory!

I’m a single mom too and it is pretty rough most days, but thankfully I have a good job and can afford a nanny (I recognize that I am not the norm as well)

You’re right — if WE are strong and raise them right, even the daycare and the missing dad won’t ruin our kids. It’s not perfect, but it’s not the end of the world either.

I think the bigger issue in today’s society is why so many men feel free to leave their families. :(

CambellBrown on August 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

CambellBrown on August 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Stigma. There is little to no stigma for men to abandon families. In today’s world as long as a man is paying child support he shouldn’t have to feel shame. Of course it is always a two way street. I am sure plenty of women also force men out of the family. That has only helped to remove the shame factor since most people will give a parent the benefit of the doubt and assume it is possible that the other parent made things impossible.

Then there is the disenfranchisement factor of abortion. Many men who feel that if a woman has a choice they can choose to not be fathers. After all, the mother didn’t have to keep the baby. And it is really hard to argue with this logic considering mother’s have all the power under such a circumstance. So many less then desirable men will make their own choices as well. It isn’t enough to tell them to do the right thing.

NotCoach on August 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM

right2bright on August 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Thanks for reading.

Jaibones on August 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Where do so many of you get this 3 months from .

Megyn Kelly’s last day was April 8th. Yardley was born on April 15th (I remember because it was Tax Day).

She had exactly FOUR months of maternity leave. My guess is that the rest was vacation time. She rarely goes on vacation the way that most of the other Fox anchors do.

I don’t begrudge her the time off to bond with her baby. But I think she spent too much time with her liberal friends. She seemed to have an undertone of hostility toward the Tea Party.

Greyledge Gal on August 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

CambellBrown on August 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

A prison had a campaign, for Mothers Day they brought in hundreds of Mothers Day cards and helped the prisoners write out how they felt. It was an overwhelming success, and the inmates were able to write some beautiful love letters to their mom’s, the prison guards and schooled inmates helped them pen the letters.
Come Father’s day, and they put together the same program, ordered hundreds of cards…less than a dozen were sent.

right2bright on August 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I guess that the day that when men were supposed to work and the wife was supposed to stay home and take care of the family have long passed. My guess is that Ms. Kelly is a salaried employee and of course Fox News has the money. I just pity the poor child for being named Yardly.

SC.Charlie on August 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

My wife had a C-section and went back to work in four days. She told me how staying home was not an option, so I designed a company that allows me to work out of the house and care for our four kids. It’s been tough at times and being a man and cooking an cleaning for your kids along with running a business isn’t what I was raised to expect, but it has given me something that money can’t buy in terms of my relationship with all four kids while teaching them that man can do anything. I tell my three sons that I expect no less of them when it comes to being a father and a husband.

Hening on August 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Mike Gallagher – Castro Stooge

The first time I had ever heard Gallagher was during the Elian Gonzalez sage, and Gallagher was all for sending Elian back to Cuba. That was also the last time I listed to him.

Bleed_thelizard on August 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

This stuff is schtick. He does it with Wallace each week on the radio. He does yeomans work with the military and law enforcement. Mike is a good guy, his show is fair in my opinion. Megan…gets better looking with age.

chicken thief on August 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Ris4victory on August 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM

You are wrong. Coulter NEVER said single moms are ALWAYS the bane of society, she merely quotes the statistics that show the vast majority of kids raised by single moms end up troubled in some way, and then comments on those statistics. You have either not read Coulter and are paraphrasing what you were told she said, or you are remembering it out of context or incorrectly and are taking it personally.

If you think her statistics are incorrect, you are welcome to go to her sources (she footnotes them religiously) and refute them. To be fair though, I think the kids who end up fairly right of center tend to do better than the average. I have no statistics to back that up though, so I’m fair game. Coulter is not, at least not on this subject. She is well studied in it.

runawayyyy on August 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I like The Five – it’s like a tamer version of Red Eye. My only complaint is that I often watch them back to back and it is the same stories discussed by different players. And I really do like bob Beckel – I don’t agree with him, but he is really funny, and the way the others react to him is funny. I think the show will definitely get better as time goes on.

Queen0fCups on August 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Megan Kelly is the best on any channel. Even when she’s ripping somebody a new one she can do it with a smile. An evil, cute smile. McCallum was good as a fill-in, but Gretchen Carlson should never, ever be allowed near that desk again.

sgtstogie on August 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Mike Gallagher stepped in poop with his first remark about maternity leave being a “racket”. Instead of offering a quick apology, he decided to open mouth and insert foot for three minutes. Yummy.

Gee, I wonder how much time Mrs. Gallagher had off when she had her children, or was that a “racket”?

Megyn Kelly is one of the best anchors on TV these days, with a rare mix of beauty and brains. She more than deserves a break to bring more like herself into the world. But somebody should buy Mr. Kelly a new “Book of Baby Names”…

Steve Z on August 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I just don’t think this is a pure black and white issue. I’d be OK with a men only policy based on the services consumed by those men.
Imagine your insurance company offers two policies:
1. The Everybody pay-n-shut-up policy
2. The Everybody but fertile women policy
Which policy do you think non-fertile women will choose?

KyserS on August 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM

But the power mom didn’t let Gallagher off the hook that easily.

“Power mom.” Better yet, “Power Mother!”

What a great phrase, Tina.

It just might be the phrase that puts an end to MSM/Chris Wallace-like bashing of conservative women and paves the way to the White House for Michele Bachmann.

After all, what word to progressives understand better than “Power” with a capital “P”?

And what better way to quash the proliferation of barren-wombed Valkyries of the left than with Motherhood!

Matriarchy, arise!

Stepan on August 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM

My wife took 8 weeks off for each of our 2 children. They were oth C-sections and it was not paid time off. Both times I was looking forward to her getting back to work because of the money.

I do like Megyn, she is very upbeat and pretty wity, not to mention hot!

jeffn21 on August 10, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Mike Gallagher is not a true conservative. He is a liberal plant (funded by Soros) to spew idiotic comments on the radio to make conservatives look stupid. He is regularly outwitted by callers and is one of the main reasons that I can not listen to local Dallas talk radio stations until 11am.

warden on August 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I have never understood why Gallagher has a show much less an audience. He’s not smart, funny or talented. Welcome back, Megyn!

SukieTawdry on August 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Why is Kelly referred to as a “news anchor”? She is an opinion commentator; has nothing to do with news, other than reading an occasional story and commenting on it. She is a little unhinged, frankly, but toward my bias so I don’t find her bothersome. She’s great looking, of course.

But she’s certainly not a news anchor. I think this word does not mean what you all think it means.

See “Bret Baier”.