Who’s up for a 103-mile swim?

posted at 6:00 pm on August 7, 2011 by Tina Korbe

A little light-hearted news for a Sunday evening. Diana Nyad, a 61-year-old U.S. endurance swimmer, sets out this tonight to become the first person to swim the Florida Straits without the aid of a shark cage. A few details from the Associated Press:

Nyad is spending the day eating, hydrating and meeting with members of her support team ahead of the 103-mile (166-kilometer) swim from Havana to the Florida Keys. …

Special equipment will surround her with an electric current that Nyad won’t notice, but will keep most sharks at bay. Divers will be at hand to discourage those that get curious.

The feat will supposedly take about 60 hours to complete, so we’ll know in a few days whether she succeeded. I sincerely hope she does.

Motivational thought of the day: When it comes to doing something no one has ever done before, it really does appear to be a case of “mind over matter.” Consider the oft-cited example of the challenge to run a sub-four-minute mile. Before Roger Bannister did it in 1954, it was widely considered to be physically impossible. After Bannister broke the record, tens of men managed to run the mile that quickly. Pretty cool, huh? People are capable of some pretty incredible feats. Have HA readers set any records? Feel free to brag!

Comments

“Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. . .”

RedNewEnglander on August 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Dumb. The water is extremely warm and dangerous.

andy85719 on August 7, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I broke the record for the most alcohol consumed while watching a BO presser. Does that count?

txag92 on August 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I hope she has good weather. Storms can pop up in a matter of minutes.

Good luck.

darwin on August 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM

txag92 on August 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Couldn’t have been you. I’m sure it was me.

ladyingray on August 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM

. Have HA readers set any records? Feel free to brag!

Does getting hammered two nights in a row at the White Horse Pub, where every swimmer that’s ever swum the English Channel goes and writes his name, residence and the time it took him to swim it, on the walls, count?

Knucklehead on August 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Why do I get the feeling that this story will end with these words…?

…and divers were unable to locate her body…..

NeoKong on August 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Have HA readers set any records?

Lourdes set a record by having a meltdown here lasting something like 20 hours.

darwin on August 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Is her name really Nyad?

Perhaps nomenclature really is destiny: NAIAD

Ralph64 on August 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM

csdeven has types “obsessed” approximately a trillion times. I’m sure that a record.

darwin on August 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Have HA readers set any records?

For the most requests to see Humpbot.

Electrongod on August 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I once watched 3 televised MLB games on the same day. Different time zones, but that shouldn’t detract from my effort.

a capella on August 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Thinking about a 103-mile swim wore me out!

Karmi on August 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

txag92 on August 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM
Couldn’t have been you. I’m sure it was me.

ladyingray on August 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Well, I got drunk the FASTEST! I determined to do a shot of brandy everytime he said the word “I” and I missed lasting five minutes by about a minute and 45 seconds!!!

%^D

Vntnrse on August 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Thinking about a .103-mile swim wore me out!

Karmi on August 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Fixed.

CW on August 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM

you do that Missy….. wet foot dry foot eh? jk

aebloo on August 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Electrical current? Are they mad?

I have heard numerous stories about sharks swarming ships undergoing de-gaussing. The current may only attract sharks!!

StubbleSpark on August 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

StubbleSpark on August 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I sure hope they know what they are doing. They will have divers ready.

CW on August 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Aren’t all on one?

Speakup on August 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Have HA readers set any records? Feel free to brag!

bayam set a new record the other day for using the words “countless economists” in a single thread.

What this lady is doing is Chump Change (sorry, Threads) compared to what this lady did last week:

She did it.

North Carolina’s Jennifer Pharr Davis has set the record for the fastest thru-hike of the 2,181-mile Appalachian Trail, male or female.

Her north-to-south hike, which began atop Maine’s Mount Katahdin on June 15, ended Sunday afternoon, when Davis reached the summit of Springer Mountain in Georgia.

It took her 46 days, 11 hours and 20 minutes. The previous record, set by Andrew Thompson in 2005, was 47 days, 13 hours and 31 minutes.

Davis already held the women’s record, which she set in 2008 on her second thru-hike of the AT: 57 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes.

To be totally objective, though, she set her record going north to south, or basically “downhill”. No one has ever set a record doing it in the other direction that is close to this time. She was also Speed Hiking, not “thru hiking” in the traditional sense. The record for that method is something like 80 days.

Del Dolemonte on August 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM

The wind and the waves will determine the outcome. Her determination, though important, will be much less of a factor.

RBMN on August 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM

“Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. . .”

Here’s to swimmin’ with bow-legged women.

keep the change on August 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Hmm. Highest Electromagnetic Pulse field strength survived by a ship. Is that a recondite honor or what?

Ahem. … I would like to thank our sponsors, the pulsed power techs, engineers, and the officers and crew of [redacted]. A special thanks goes to the US taxpayers, without whose support this world record would not have be possible.

NaCly dog on August 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I recall Miz Nyad. This lady IS a competitor. GOD bless her, I hope she succeeds.

oldleprechaun on August 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Have HA readers set any records? Feel free to brag!

Okay, sure! A personal best:

On November 25, 1998, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis that is aggressive and attacks vital organs and connective tissues such as tendons, as well as attacking joints/soft tissues. The Rheumatologist told me that people with this rarer form of RA, on average, only lived about five to seven years after active manifestation of symptoms.

Tough daily battle at this point. Still, this coming November 25, 2011, I will celebrate 13 years of beating “Arthur” at his own game! :)

Heh….knock wood, natch! ;)

KendraWilder on August 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Coming from Havana, how many have died trying to leave Havana from the Castro utopia and she wants to do it fun….

If she does do it how many more will die trying it themselves. Without the support boats, shark repellent and all of there worldly possessions in a wet bag. And having to hid from the coast guard even if they are drowning as they will send you back if caught in the water and not on the mainland

There has to be somewhere 103 mile swim can happen away from Cuba and not make it a farce to those who risk life to swim away from there.

tjexcite on August 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM

It’s funny ’cause it’s true :)

Sharke on August 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Being a former college competitive swimmer, I can’t imagine making a swim like that, or EVEN wanting to. 2 to 4 hour workouts were enough but I hope she makes it, that will be an incredible feat.

gatorfanatic on August 7, 2011 at 7:17 PM

I’ve shoved my foot in my mouth too many times. That count?

itsspideyman on August 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM

“countless economists” is an oxymoron, like “jumbo shrimp”.

itsspideyman on August 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I had the first pair of bell bottom jeans in my junior high school in 1965. Ordered them from the Sears catalog, Boating supplies section.

BL@KBIRD on August 7, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I’ve shoved my foot in my mouth too many times. That count?

itsspideyman on August 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM

How can you eat your heart out with your foot in your mouth?

Well, just keep on chew’n.

Speakup on August 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM

It only takes one.

RedWinged Blackbird on August 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM

itsspideyman on August 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM

How can you eat your heart out with your foot in your mouth?

Well, just keep on chew’n.

Speakup on August 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM

The trick is to chew through the foot. ;)

itsspideyman on August 7, 2011 at 7:51 PM

“countless economists” is an oxymoron, like “jumbo shrimp”.

itsspideyman on August 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Can I have some Jumbo Shrimp? I am tired of eating Peas.

Del Dolemonte on August 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM

She’s 61 years old!? Gawd, I’m a wuss.

itsacookbook on August 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM

A lot of people have floated that course on inner-tubes or less.

Slowburn on August 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM

When I was in sixth grade, I set the record at my school for most sit-ups in a minute: 63! (That number might be higher than the amount I’ve done since. Oy.)

illustro on August 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I would mention my world record but who wants to hear about booze and hot young women who magically fall in love … in small jets at 40,000 feet? ;-)

TXUS on August 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I held the world record for holding my breath. It took me 12 minutes to vote for McCain in 2008.

csdeven on August 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM

csdeven on August 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I can’t top that….bowing to the master…… lol

Vntnrse on August 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM

As an open water marathon swimmer myself (2010 Catalina Channel, 2011 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim), I can tell you Diana’s been training very diligently for this swim and she has a seasoned crew who will keep her safe. Still, she will spend several days in a hospital after this to rehydrate and recover. Although she’ll take healthy doses of pain reliever, she will increasingly be in a lot of pain as the hours pass by. The combination of tropical heat and salt water will cause her to bloat severely and her skin to crack. When Diana finishes, she will be virtually unrecognizable. Google “Penny Palfrey”, an Australian swimmer who just completed her swim from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman and you’ll see what I mean.

I believe CNN is covering Diana’s swim. Anyway, let’s wish her well and a speedy recovery afterwards.

Cliff

CliffHanger on August 7, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Who’s up for a 103-mile swim?

Not me, I have a country to save!

I also don’t get how walking for three days cures breast cancer. Meh.

Fallon on August 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Good luck Diana! Use lots of Crisco!

The longest I ever swam in the ocean was 2 miles. Sheesh!

Khun Joe on August 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM

csdeven on August 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM

*snort*

Well done

iurockhead on August 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I hold the record for most Pizza consumed during a college career!

I ate at least one pizza, EVERY single night for two years straight!

Except one1 Had a Philly Cheese Steak as a “change-up” one night!

I was in Penn State at the time.

Of course, I weigh about 453lbs now, have hardened arteries, etc., but it was worth it!

When’s my Obamacare kick in…??? Anyone…?? Anyone…??

Bueler?

Dale in Atlanta on August 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM

CliffHanger on August 7, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I’m with you. Good Luck Diana.

tim c on August 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for posting this, Tina. Good luck Diana!

Buy Danish on August 7, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I ran a 2:00 half mile (800 meters) when I was younger.

Vegi on August 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I set my high school mile record (4:13), two mile record (9:30), and cross country record (12:30 – 2 1/2 miles).

The closest I came to touching greatness was on the trip down to Eugene, OR for the state high school track championship. As we approached Salem, OR, the news report came across that Prefontaine had died the night before in his car accident. I was devastated. I was really hoping to meet him that weekend. It was a real downer and cast a pall over the championship.

Mallard T. Drake on August 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I ran 7.73 miles today in 1:18:19 usually I do 9 miles in 1:37 but I got lazy & it’s Sunday.

borg on August 8, 2011 at 1:05 AM

I had the highest SAT score in the history of my high school — until my little brother scored 1600 three years later.

Count to 10 on August 8, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Though I think my record for most weight held by a 65 stick popcycle stick bridge might still stand…

Count to 10 on August 8, 2011 at 7:27 AM

National record in 100yd. freestyle…to be broken moments later by the next 6 swimmers…and broken again by the next 6 swimmers, at the end of the meet, I had broken a national record, but finished 13th…

right2bright on August 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Is it just me, or is anyone else marveling at the fact the woman is attempting to swim 103 miles in the ocean at the age of 61? Keep that in mind next time you hear some 30-something or 40-something complain about how old they feel.

You go, girl! Good luck.

pt on August 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

More light fluff from TC!

It’s not what you know but who you know??

Sherman1864 on August 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I might be up for a 103 mile walk.
My record so far is 30.
She’s got about 20 years on me-so I have a while to achieve that goal.
Hmmm.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Well, my dad is the oldest to complete Mt. Marathon, at 82. Google it.

tcn on August 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM

My gosh, no mention that she is a lesbian. I wish her good luck.

SC.Charlie on August 8, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I hear they have some nasty squid in the Gulf you have to be careful of too. Being in the water after dark seems unwise.

RAB on August 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM