Video: Rick Perry at “The Response”

posted at 3:59 pm on August 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Two clips for you: A 90-second highlight from the Examiner plus the full 12-minute speech/sermon via Mediaite. He stayed away from overtly political rhetoric, as promised, but when you’re polling second in the GOP field and on the cusp of jolting the presidential race, anything you say or do matters politically. And this event isn’t just “anything,” needless to say: Iowans are starting to pay attention to the campaign with Ames just a week away, and the left is busily compiling old quotes from today’s speakers to use against him later.

Besides, notwithstanding the fact that he asked attendees to pray for the president, there’s obviously political resonance to this passage:

“Father, our heart breaks for America,” Perry said, leading the crowd at Reliant Stadium in prayer. “We see discord at home, we see fear in the marketplace, we see anger in the halls of government. And as a nation, we have forgotten who made us, who protects us, who blesses us.

“And for that we cry out for your forgiveness,” he said…

The stated reasons for the prayer gathering — a “crisis” moment in America – also underscored the politics. “Right now, America is in crisis: we have been besieged by financial debt, terrorism, and a multitude of natural disasters,” Perry wrote in a letter on the website for The Response. “As a nation, we must come together and call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy.”

After only 8,000 people registered online, they ended up with a good crowd anyway. According to the AP, roughly 30,000 were there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

As for Perry – I think he’s more than capable of doing it on his own.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I think so too. And after talking to many Alaskan’s last week, I doubt Palin could even carry her state.

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

As for Perry – I think he’s more than capable of doing it on his own.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I agree.. Perry will be fine..:)

PS..I hope he runs..:)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

After talking to many Texans, I doubt that Perry can carry his own state. Ahhhh, gotta love that anecdotal “evidence”.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

If Palin doesn’t run, I don’t think she’s getting all rah-rah about any candidate, actually.

Oh, really. You’re completely discarding what she said about her ego and “it’s not so big that I have to think it’s only me.”

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM

So what has Mitt been for the past 3 years ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

He’s been running for president of the United States and all the hard work that entails.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Perry would carry Texas. Palin would carry Alaska. Bachmann however I would bet the farm would not carry Minnesota in either slot on the ticket.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM

For 3 years?
What “hard work”? Handing out cash and collecting IOUs? He’s certainly not been front and center on anything risky, like taking a stand on issues.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Rest easy. We’ve been assured that Perry can do it on his own.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM

By the way, is Perry’s ego so big that it has to be only about him? Why doesn’t he step aside and throw all his support behind already-declared Bachmann?

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Sorry, they don’t like her anymore. And the “Sarah Palin” shop I visited is also going out of business.

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM

You’re the one who stated if it’s not her, that she’d sit it out and see in a second Obama term. Valerie would be so happy.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Awwww. That does it. Sarah Palin Political Future RIP. Commenter Knucklehead says so.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM

This gets confusing. Knucklehead there is saying that even Alaskans hate Sarah Palin’s guts now, and here you are saying that if she doesn’t get in there and cheerlead then Obama’s going to win. It’s hard to keep up, it really is.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Deep, strong, born-again Christianity scares some people and makes them very uncomfortable. . . .I LOVE that he doesn’t shy away from who he is and what his faith means to him.

Fine. You can elect him to an important position at your church. After a performance like this, Perry is not going to be President–of anything–and I would not support him in any primary after watching this speech, or sermon, or whatever it was supposed to be. Eeeew! It was like a caricature of all the criticism the Left had of George W. Bush as an evangelical religious guy, even though W was actually a Connecticut Yankee.

Making fun of others that believe in God is rude, to say the least.

There’s no hope for the Right winning elections, or even winning over Independents, if there’s always going to be a an amen corner inquiring about how religious you are, or enforcing orthodoxy towards God. Even worse is when you mistake rational discourse for “making fun” of God. I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition! (Paging Cardinal Ximinez!)

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Speaking as a Minnesotan – she wouldn’t. She’s too controversial.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hey how was the cruise?

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:55 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM

For starters from 2008 on he worked hard to get McCain & Palin elected; the campaign has said nothing but wonderful things about Mitt’s dedication to that effort.

I’m sorry please remind me what’s wrong with raising money, stumping with and handing out cash to worthy Republicans to get them elected….that’s what team players do.

Are yous serious? Mitt Romney has weighed in on issues of the day with over 3 dozen op-ed pieces since 2008. Don’t you read? He’s written against cap and trade, card check, Obama’s missle defense debacle…the list goes on and on.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM

So you just proved my point then.

I happen to love that he wears his faith on his sleeve and you know where he stands and what guides his decision making process.

To each their own and all that.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM

He’s not been at the forefront of any issue. He comes out with some op-ed or statement after some issue has been chewed over for weeks already. Of course, it’s probably not his fault. Not quite as many are interested that much in what he has to say.

And there’s nothing wrong with raising money. Just don’t use that as an excuse for not taking timely stands on the issues as “pundits” do.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Of course, that would be one dozen op-ed pieces, not 3 dozen, if Romney didn’t change his mind so often.

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

So she’ll just get rah about beating Obama?

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Hey how was the cruise?

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Cool, rainy and dreary. I don’t know how people can live up there.

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Cool, rainy and dreary. I don’t know how people can live up there.

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Ahh that’s too bad. The scenery up there looks beautiful but I don’t think I could handle the weather either.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM

That’s not true. His piece in the WSJ titled “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt” in Nov. 2008 was prolific to Obama’s GM mess and the company filed bankruptcy anyway, unfortunately after getting Obama Stimulus money.

He immediately wrote about Obama shelving our Missile Defense system in 2009 and hanging out our Eastern Europe allies and getting nothing in return from Russia.

With all due respect, I don’t think you have deep knowledge about Mitt Romney except what snarky stuff you read about him on sites like HA.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I don’t think you have deep knowledge about Mitt Romney

Romneycare!
Romneycare!
Romneycare!

Is that deep enough for you, baby?

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I don’t think you have deep knowledge about Mitt Romney

Romneycare!
Romneycare!
Romneycare!

Is that deep enough for you, baby?

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Don’t forget he believes in Global Warming “because so many other people do.” At least, until New Hampshire is called.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I’ve just finished doing some exhaustive research on Rick Perry. Unearthed the good and the bad. They’re available for your “viewing pleasure” individually as a positive and a negative piece. Check ‘em out.

Garnet92 on August 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Deep, strong, born-again Christianity scares some people and makes them very uncomfortable. I know I’ve lost so called friends because of my faith.
gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I understand losing friends and relatives too in some cases because of one’s faith.

Yes, our Nation certainly needs all prayers and I appreciated the Service. Nice crowd, prayers and music.
It’s good to remember too that some people look for something to be critical of:-) I don’t mind criticism, just disrespect.

A Texan and a Christian too?? How will the Media survive? LOL

bluefox on August 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Dire Straits on August 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Just trying to make sure we don’t lose the majority here:-)

bluefox on August 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Well, it didn’t seem to have any negative effect in the 11/08 election, did it?

My point was simply the disrespect shown in the comments. I didn’t name any particular person, just a general observation. I don’t recall mentioning your name.

Some of the comments were of a rational nature and some were not.

Just my point of view. You have yours and I have mine.

bluefox on August 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

So she’ll just get rah about beating Obama?

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I’ll just ask again: why doesn’t Perry put ego aside, declare that he’s not running, and put all his support behind Bachmann who’s conservative, already-declared, and already has a campaign framework in place?

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Amen.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Good. The GOP has never had and will never need a “kingmaker” least of all played by Palin.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Spoken like a good little parrot. Thanks for proving my point about knowing only snark information.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM

No, and your guy isn’t going to win without the enthusiasm of her supporters, either.

–ddrintn

ddrintn on August 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM

All I said was “Romneycare!”

That one left a mark, I guess. On his entire campaign.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 12:26 AM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM

While Bachmann and others would make great Presidents, they may not be the best candidates. And you have to be a good candidate to become a good President.

And this is a dangerous year with the most dangerous President of my lifetime, who is backed up by his party and the propaganda media and still has a chance of re-election.

Perry and many around the country realize that Perry probably has

the best and easier chance of winning

. He is a great campaigner, good fund raiser, good and long record governing successfully, pretty well vetted, likeability and has crossover appeal for tea partiers, establishment Republicans, Independents and Reagan Dems.

We will support whoever the nominee is and work for their election. But we can’t take any chances this year.

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Sorry for the formatting mistake.

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Another reason to like Rick Perry. He quoted one of my favorite Bible verses (OK – I have a lot of favorites lol) that we hear every Ash Wednesday.

Joel 2:
“Yet even now, says the LORD, return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, and weeping, and mourning; Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the LORD, your God. For gracious and merciful is he, slow to anger, rich in kindness, and relenting in punishment. . . . ”

Humbly bowing to God and seeking His forgiveness and help with sincere love of the Almighty, in the face of ridicule and criticism and false charges (guilt by association). Sounds like he has his priorities in order and a good mindset and reliance on God’s grace. Seems like he is ready for the task at hand. God bless him.

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Garnet92 on August 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM

thanks for your interesting link.

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM

I bought Perry’s book tonight at Borders. After today’s event I wanted to not only learn more about him, but support him in some way for what he did today for God and country. I agree, God bless him and hopefully us, too.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 7, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Garnet92 on August 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Excerpt from link:

For those considering a candidate to run against President Obama, Perry has a reputation as a deft, animated communicator who can energize a crowd and generate enthusiasm.

Note this: Perry has never lost an election. He’s won all nine (9) of the races he’s entered and he’s been reelected 5 times.

Even critics in Texas offer begrudging praise for his political skills. “He’s somebody that people like. He works a room with the best of them,” said Kirk Watson, head of the Texas Senate Democratic caucus and a former Austin mayor.

“I would say it’s masterful,” says Michael Williams, a former railroad commissioner who’s now running for Congress. “I don’t think I’ve seen a politician as artful as Perry.”

Stuart Rothenberg on Fox News said that Perry is a “great campaigner,” and that he is “very conservative – more conservative than George W. Bush was.” He also said Perry will have a strong message based on his success in Texas in creating jobs, and a message that is more “anti-Washington,” and “anti-Establishment” than Bush.

Mimi Swartz (Texas Monthly magazine) says about Perry: (he is a) “Formidable campaigner. People on the East Coast underestimate him at their peril. He’s relentless. Perry will fight to the death if he wants this.”

William McKenzie of the Dallas Morning News says, “GOP candidates beware. Rick Perry will be the hardest-nosed campaigner you’ve faced.”

The Texas Tribune asked Paul Stekler, an Emmy and Peabody award-winning documentary filmmaker, to help analyze Perry’s political ads.

Perry’s attack ads have been known to take out his opponents – sometimes in dramatic fashion. “They’ve shown absolutely no hesitation to hit back and also to hit beforehand with tough attack ads, so they’ve got a lot of experience,” Stekler said.

“We can debate whether he’s actually been a good governor or not. We can debate his policies pro and negative,” he said. “But nobody debates the fact that Rick Perry is a very, very strong campaigner. He’s gotten much better over the years, especially for somebody who’s this comfortable on camera. Who is this good on camera and is comfortable in his own skin.”

“I think [Perry’s ads] have been very effective, and the reason I think they’re effective is they convey subtle images that suggest values to a very narrow range of voters. Delivering that kind of a message when you’re that charismatic is going to serve him well if he runs for president because he’s much more of the person I think Republican primary voters are looking for,” Stekler said.

(end of excerpts)

Are we sure Perry is a Republican? He doesn’t sound like the Republican Presidential candidates I’ve seen in the years since Reagan. lol

“absolutely no hesitation to hit back” No, he must be a secret Democrat, like some are saying.

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Aslans Girl on August 7, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Prayer and fasting won’t hurt.

Tell us how you like the book. I think I will get it after the summer.

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:43 AM

–Governor Rick Perry

Before seeing this statement, I thought Perry was all right. But no more. No serious candidate for President can say what he said, above. Perry has to think about his “crossover” appeal to a much more important voting bloc of all–the voters outside of Texas. Outside of Dixie. Outside of the so-called “Bible belt.” Personally, I thank George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, among others, for the blessings of freedom. Perry forgot that America is a big and diverse country–much bigger than even Texas.

In the video, he sounds like a TV evangelist. I know it was a prayer meeting, but still. You argue that he’s electable. Only in Texas.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 12:50 AM

You mustn’t like Washington either, then. He invoked Jesus. A lot. So did the rest of the Founders and the early POTUSes. Lincoln, too. Most of our POTUSes actually. I guess none of them are “all right”. ///

Aslans Girl on August 7, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I started listening to Rush Limbaugh on his first day–August 1, 1988. In that time, I’ve heard him support every position that most evangelicals do (and which I do, too) but Limbaugh is secular. And I think the Republican party will suffer if it nominates someone who makes the Party sound like the Religious Party. (You remember the maps of the states Bush won in 2004 dubbed “Jesusland,” don’t you?) By contrast, the Tea Party wants to make the Republican Party sound like fiscal conservatives–which is much wiser.

Anyway, that’s it for me tonight. I’ve got to get up early tomorrow morning for church.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM

–Governor Rick Perry

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Ronald Reagan:

“[Americans] must seek Divine guidance in the policies of their government and the promulgation of their laws. . . . make our laws and government not only a model to mankind, but a testament to the wisdom and mercy of God.”‘

Ronald Reagan:

“We need religion as a guide. We need it because we are imperfect, and our government needs the church, because only those humble enough to admit they’re sinners can bring to democracy the tolerance it requires in order to survive.”

Ronald Reagan:

“You know, if we look back through history to all those great civilizations, those great nations that rose up to even world dominance and then deteriorated, declined, and fell, we find they all had one thing in common. One of the significant forerunners of their fall was their turning away from their God. … Without God, there is no virtue, because there’s no prompting of the conscience. Without God, we’re mired in the material, that flat world that tells us only what the senses perceive. Without God, there is a coarsening of the society. And without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure. If we ever forget that we’re one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Excerpts:

He saw God as the preeminent source of wisdom and moral guidance, the fount “from whom all knowledge springs.” “When we open ourselves to Him,” the president told a group of students in December 1983, “we gain not only moral courage but also intellectual strength.” It was a line he had used for years. . . .

Twice during the presidential debates with Walter Mondale, he said he couldn’t imagine how someone could carry out the “awesome responsibilities” of the presidency without prayer. To think otherwise struck him as “absurd.” . . .

Reagan personally penciled into a February 1983 speech the following lines: “I know at times we feel that perhaps in our prayers we ask too much. Or possibly we feel something isn’t important enough to be bothering God with it.” He advised placing that decision in God’s hands: “Maybe we should let Him decide these things.”

One of Reagan’s favorite images was that of George Washington praying at Valley Forge, which he called the “most sublime image in American history.” Washington kneeling in the snow, he said in a radio address in December 1983, “personified a people who knew it was not enough to depend on their own courage and goodness; they must also seek help from God, their Father and their Preserver.”

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Yes, I see all of Reagan’s religious comments you posted, and they are certainly inspiring, and I went over to the linked article–but I didn’t see the name Jesus once.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 1:27 AM

1984 National Religious Broadcasters convention: “He promised there will never be a dark night that does not end. And by dying for us, Jesus showed how far our love should be ready to go: all the way.”

Kansas State University, 1982, Reagan referred to the “admonition of the Man from Galilee to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
Reagan called Christmas “the birthday of the promised Messiah, the Son of God.”

itsnotaboutme on August 7, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Some may call it pandering, but Governor Perry’s boldness in identifying with the Lord Jesus is admirable. He could have easily used the safe “G” word over & over.

itsnotaboutme on August 7, 2011 at 1:41 AM

No, it’s not pandering at all, but the boldness that is admirable to you could make him unelectable as a Presidential candidate. Pat Robertson wasn’t elected in 1988, was he? Robertson was a minister, so he could be expected to talk the talk–but he had a law degree from Yale, too. Nope, not nominated and not elected.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM

George Washington:

“Almighty and eternal Lord God, the great Creator of heaven and earth, and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ; look down from heaven in pity and compassion upon me Thy servant, who humbly prorate myself before Thee.” George Washington’s prayer at Valley Forge

Thomas Jefferson:

Of all systems of morality, ancient of modern, which have come under my observation, none appear to be so pure as that of Jesus.” Thomas Jefferson To William Canby, 1813

“I hold the precepts of Jesus as delivered by Himself, to be the most pure, benevolent and sublime which have ever been preached to man…” President Thomas Jefferson

My views- – - are the result of a lifetime of inquiry and reflection, and very different from the anti-Christian imputed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions. To the corruptions of Christianity I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian in the only sense in which He wished anyone to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines in preference of all others—” Thomas Jefferson to Dr. Benjamin Rush On April 21, 1803

“I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our Creator.” Thomas Jefferson wrote on the front of his Bible.

John Quincy Adams:

“It is no slight testimonial, both to the merit and worth of Christianity, that in all ages since its promulgation the great mass of those who have risen to eminence by their profound wisdom and integrity have recognized and reverenced Jesus of Nazareth as the Son of the living God.” President John Quincy Adams

Two seconds on google. Imagine how much more I’d find if I’d searched for four seconds instead of two.

Guess they’re all unelectable.

GWB said in ’00 that his favorite philosopher was Jesus; he served two terms, iirc.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Now you see it twice in the same paragraph.

That was not in the previous link. I think it’s perfectly fine that Reagan made that religious statement to the National Religious Broadcasters Convention. But I don’t like Perry stating that, in effect, he’s going to ask Jesus how to run the country:

You heard the man. As a nation!
And the main reason I don’t like it is that it will make the Republican Party seem like the party of The Church Lady. It ought to seem more like the party of fiscal conservatives, like Chris Christie.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Guess they’re all unelectable.

That’s right. They’re all dead.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Guess they’re all unelectable.

That’s right. They’re all dead, or term-limited.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 2:04 AM

So we’e changed (spiritually) that drastically just since ’04 when GWB, Bible-thumper, was re-elected? Huh.

Obama goes on about being a Christian, too; he recently went on about Jesus (got it wrong of course). So…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM

There are Christians who do not make large incomes that vote for Republicans because of social issues. If Republicans become as liberal socially as Democrats there will no longer be a reason for them to vote for them.
These voters will either not vote at all or vote for Democrats who will at least preserve programs that benefit them financially.

Rose on August 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM

I don’t know who you think should be the GOP candidate.

Sarah Palin. Now you know.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I agree with Emperor Norton about the Jesus issues. However, I will vote for Perry because his effectiveness as a governor and campaigner outweigh for me his public invocations in a particular religion. To me that’s very small potatoes compared to the good he could do.

Now will that negatively influence enough other voters, which is part of what EN is saying. And it might, it’s one factor. But that has to be weighed against the positives and negatives of the other candidates. Would the independents who might be turned-off by Perry’s Jesus-invocation, vote for Romney, for example? And do we want to take a chance on Perry, who would be a much better POTUS than Romney?

It’s always something. Everyone had a hard-on for Christie until he defended Islam. We’ve got 8-10 months to pick the nominee, let’s see how it all shakes out.

YehuditTX on August 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I’ve lost friends after they found out I was Mormon.

People will lose friends after they find out they belong to a certain faith. Its not a unique experience that occurs to just one religion.

Conservative Samizdat on August 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Voter from WA state,

You misunderstood me. I wasn’t clear. If Republicans continue to try leading the party in an anti-Christian, anti social conservatism direction in order to appeal to moderate voters, they will lose the socially conservative voters. If the Republican candidate and the Democrat candidate are both pro gay marriage and pro abortion and also downplay any religious convictions they may have, then social conservatives will have no reason to vote for him. These voters will then vote their pocketbook or give up voting at all.

Rose on August 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I agree. But what happens if you have two candidates who are both pro abortion? Not neccessarily this coming election but any election? What do you do then?

Rose on August 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I don’t know who you think should be the GOP candidate.

Sarah Palin. Now you know.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I understand that some voters would prefer a candidate not talk about Jesus. But I don’t think there will be too many this year against Obama who would refuse to vote for Perry because of that reason. Most who would actually refuse voting for Perry would probably be voting Obama anyway.

But do you really think that the type of person who would actually refuse to vote for Perry because he mentions Jesus and would vote for Obama instead is the type of person who would be voting for Sarah Palin? No way.

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM

You heard the man. As a nation!

Reagan asked for a return to the Ten Commandments, to glorify God, and to love as Jesus – all the way.

You heard the man. As a nation!

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Less of The Church Lady and more of Sister Mary Elephant.

rukiddingme on August 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Of course not! Any GOP candidate gets the nod from me over Obama–even Willard, Lord Romney. I didn’t refuse to support Perry in a general election, just not in a primary.

Palin 2012. Accept no substitutes.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Of course that person would not vote for Obama! (I got confused by the two or three negatives in there.)

Palin 2012. Accept no substitutes.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM

And at this point I don’t see how you say Perry is any “better” a candidate than Bachmann is.

Perry and many around the country realize that Perry probably has

the best and easier chance of winning

Elisa on August 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Based on what? He doesn’t poll all that much better than Bachmann or Palin against Obama.

ddrintn on August 8, 2011 at 12:10 AM

(I got confused by the two or three negatives in there.)

LOL I’m so sorry. That was a terrible sentence I wrote. I see why it confused you.

This is what I was responding to

. . . No, it’s not pandering at all, but the boldness that is admirable to you could make him unelectable as a Presidential candidate. . . .

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM

If I understand you correctly, you don’t think Perry is electable because he talked about Jesus. I was saying that anyone who would refuse to vote for Perry because he spoke about Jesus and would instead vote for Obama is not the kind of person who would be voting for Sarah Palin. Who you are supporting.

Most people who would vote for Sarah would vote for Perry (even if he spoke about Jesus.) Even if a voter preferred he not talk about Jesus, most would still vote for Perry over Obama. Unless they are liberal or the kind of person who probably would be voting for Obama no matter what conservative we nominate. I could see your point if it was Romney over Perry, but not Palin over Perry.

Is that clearer or am I still messing this up.

Elisa on August 8, 2011 at 12:39 AM

ddrintn on August 8, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I love Michele Bachmann (and Palin and Cain). Of the 4, I think Cain would be the best President.

But I think Perry would be almost as good a President as Cain and I think he is more electable and this year that is very important to me. I don’t want to take any chances with Obama. He is a disaster.

I think Bachmann and Palin would be great Presidents also, but they have alot of unfair strikes against them. Including being women. As a woman, does that annoy me? Yes. But it is a fact to be considered. As well as how the media gets to trash them more than they do our men and make them look stupid. The public will take Perry more seriously being a man and having been a successful governor of Texas (a man’s State) for such a long time and being head of the Republican Governors’ Association. Lot’s of connections in the old boys club.

Perry doesn’t poll much better than Palin or Bachmann yet. Because he still hasn’t declared and is still unknown outside of Texas.

Elisa on August 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Then they aren’t friends. I am an evangelical Christian and have no problems being friends with Mormons. I do not believe in all they teach and visa versa. But we love each other as friends and leave the differences to God to judge.

Voter from WA State on August 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Amen. Christ told us to love one another as he loved us. (John 15:12)

That’s the best commandment ever.

Conservative Samizdat on August 8, 2011 at 12:47 AM

I could see your point if it was Romney over Perry, but not Palin over Perry.

Palin is the first choice because of her previous nomination as Vice-President (where she got over 59 million votes), and her Facebook and Tweets about the fiscal crisis, defense, energy, Israel, and enthusiastic bashing of Obama. Every comment rings true. She also showed tremendous personal courage in not aborting a Down’s Syndrome child.

That’s what Sarah Palin does, while Perry talks about Jesus.

Emperor Norton on August 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Emperor Norton on August 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I don’t think you got my point.

You don’t have to sing Palin’s praises to me. I love the woman.

I’m talking about the voters you were talking about. You said Perry is “unelectable” because he talked about Jesus. I say that anyone who would refuse to vote for Perry because of that was probably going to vote for Obama anyway and/or would never vote for Sarah. They might vote for Romney (who I don’t want), but not for Sarah, who I would like.

And since you and I don’t know enough about his personal life and struggles, I don’t think it’s fair to compare and judge Sarah’s personal courage with Perry’s by saying she didn’t abort her baby and Perry just talks Jesus.

Also, Perry has been very critical publically about Obama over the last 2 years. But his statements are not as publicized as Sarah’s. Not to mention he isn’t as involved with online daily statements and wouldn’t have the time anyway.

Elisa on August 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I say that anyone who would refuse to vote for Perry because [he talk about Jesus] was probably going to vote for Obama anyway and/or would never vote for Sarah.

Well, you’re obviously wrong. I’m one example. Other than that, I’d say you really have to get out of Texas more.

Elsewhere, you’ll find moderates, independents, libertarians and others who really do respect the separation of church and state.

Now, if we all lived in Germany, where the party in power is called the Christian Democrats, that would be all right because it’s just the traditional name of that German party. But it should not be imported to America.

Emperor Norton on August 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Well, you’re obviously wrong. I’m one example.

But you said you would not refuse to vote for Perry in a general election here and that is what we are talking about. Electability over Obama in a general. You fear that independents won’t vote for Perry because he talked about Jesus:

Palin 2012. Accept no substitutes.

Emperor Norton on August 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Other than that, I’d say you really have to get out of Texas more.

Emperor Norton on August 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM

LOL I’m a Jersey girl all my life. Never lived anywhere else in my 51 years.

I know those Independents and Reagan Dems very well. They are my family, neighbors and friends.

They voted for Reagan, Clinton and Obama.

They will not vote Obama this time. They will vote for Perry if he were the nominee.

Elisa on August 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM