Video: Rick Perry at “The Response”

posted at 3:59 pm on August 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Two clips for you: A 90-second highlight from the Examiner plus the full 12-minute speech/sermon via Mediaite. He stayed away from overtly political rhetoric, as promised, but when you’re polling second in the GOP field and on the cusp of jolting the presidential race, anything you say or do matters politically. And this event isn’t just “anything,” needless to say: Iowans are starting to pay attention to the campaign with Ames just a week away, and the left is busily compiling old quotes from today’s speakers to use against him later.

Besides, notwithstanding the fact that he asked attendees to pray for the president, there’s obviously political resonance to this passage:

“Father, our heart breaks for America,” Perry said, leading the crowd at Reliant Stadium in prayer. “We see discord at home, we see fear in the marketplace, we see anger in the halls of government. And as a nation, we have forgotten who made us, who protects us, who blesses us.

“And for that we cry out for your forgiveness,” he said…

The stated reasons for the prayer gathering — a “crisis” moment in America – also underscored the politics. “Right now, America is in crisis: we have been besieged by financial debt, terrorism, and a multitude of natural disasters,” Perry wrote in a letter on the website for The Response. “As a nation, we must come together and call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy.”

After only 8,000 people registered online, they ended up with a good crowd anyway. According to the AP, roughly 30,000 were there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

God help us.

davidk on August 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Make sure you post the videos of the assorted pastors telling Jews they need to convert and get with Jesus or they’re going to hell. And don’t forget the lady who said it’s religious discrimination to prevent Christians from beating up gays!

SnarkVader on August 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Erm, if they do that won’t it legitimize tarring Obama with his former associates’ opinions?

Knott Buyinit on August 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM

SnarkVader on August 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Feeling persecuted when an atheist mentions someone praying? Should we throw up examples of atheists being @ssholes while we’re at it too?

Esthier on August 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Knott Buyinit on August 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM

It would, but we can’t find any former associates!

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Esthier on August 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Definitely. Start with the jackal trying to ban the Ground Zero cross.

SnarkVader on August 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Video: Rick Perry at “Hip Hop Prayer BBQ”.

how many jobs did it create?

sesquipedalian on August 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Amen…!

Seven Percent Solution on August 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Great vids. There is a problem? I can’t stand the Texas accent, however. And I don’t think Gov. Perry is the leader that will extrate our country from its decline.

chaswv on August 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I used to think people from other parts of the country talked funny, but then I grew up.

juliesa on August 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Perry is going to infuriate a lot of people and I say great. It will be just the people that need to be infuriated. I will bet that there are a lot of people out there that cannot stand that the people of the USA keep electing presidents from Texas.

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM

At this point in history the USA does not deserve a leader of the caliber of Rick Perry. Frankly, I hope he stays in Texas and keeps us safe and prosperous.

moochy on August 6, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM

An Aggie in the White House?! I’m not sure this BearKat can stand it!

cartooner on August 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Upon reflection, I think Jesus would have voted to raise the debt ceiling, don’t you? Then again, I’m not on a first-name basis with Him, like some of you . . .all.

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

That proves my point. An Aggie in the White House might be the best thing that could happen to the USA.

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Perry’s chances of winning the nomination = Zero.

haner on August 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

how many jobs did it create?

sesquipedalian on August 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Look in the mirror, you ‘genius’.

Schadenfreude on August 6, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Perry’s chances of winning the nomination = Zero.

haner on August 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

cartooner on August 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Jesus didnt’t listen to me when I asked that anyone voting for that bill be stricken down. I asked the same thing for S-CHIP, NoChildLeftBehind, TARP, TARP2, “Stimulus”, Auto bailout, Arms reduction in last lame-duck congress, Obamacare, etc and so forth.

SouthernGent on August 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Perry’s chances of winning the nomination = Zero.

haner on August 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Pick another specialty because Math is not for you.

God, how the left hate this.

Schadenfreude on August 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Hell, I pray for the president too. Repeat after me:

May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership.
Psalm 109:8

sicoit on August 6, 2011 at 4:51 PM

SouthernGent on August 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM

oh Jesus definitely was listening to you, but sometimes the answer to a prayer is “no”

chasdal on August 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Wow, it’s a cryin shame that OUR TEXAS Governor, Rick Perry is such a krappy governor…..hmmmmmm :-)

Standard & Poor’s Raises Texas’ Credit Ratings to AA+
Bond raters also give Texas TRANs highest rating

Thursday, August 13, 2009

sicoit on August 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

The Scripture states, “Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another”(Rom. 13:8), meaning generally avoid debt and do not continue in it; and do not spend on yourself what you owe to others.

SheetAnchor on August 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I learned than when the liberals praise a GOP candidate means they believe deep down that said candidate would be easy for Oabama to defeat.

this NBC piece below, that HA linked to, left me completely incredulous and skeptical, when was the last time liberal media, pundits and political operatives alike had something good to say about a Rep candidate…umm, yeah, McCain comes to mind, and we all know what happened…this being said I have nothing against Perry, I don’t know enough about him to have an opinion yet…But I doubt the sincerity of these libs when they have positive things to say about his skills, performance as a governor, ability to compete on the national stage,etc…

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Emperor Norton

The problem with people like you is that you often attempt to speak for Jesus, right before you insult those who believe in his divinity, and in the process you show your complete ignorance to scripture. To put it simply, the issue of debt is in fact mentioned in the Bible and the conclusions are pretty simple: God wants us to lend to others so long as it helps them out, you should pay back what you borrow and prolonged debt makes the borrower a slave to the lender.

Considering how this most recent debt ceiling debate would NOT have resulted in us defaulting on our debt as current revenue provides more than enough to cover those payments, but raising the debt ceiling does in fact put us into further debt, where do you get off saying Jesus would have supported a debt ceiling hike?

Oh that’s right, through reflection. While others may be on a first name basis with Jesus, you talk to yourself.

Daemonocracy on August 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Oh and did I forget to mention this as well regarding OUR TEXAS Governor, Rick Perry? Sequip!ssesonitself? DO.NOT.MESS.WITH.TEXAS!

From June 2009 to June 2011 the state added 262,000 jobs, or half the USA’s 524,000 payroll gains, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Even by a more conservative estimate that omits states with net job losses, Texas’ advances make up 30% of the 1 million additions in the 34 states with net growth.

sicoit on August 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Jesus didn’t have a last name.

andy85719 on August 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

how many jobs did it create?

sesquipedalian on August 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Tx leads in job creation for the last 10 yrs….so check your facts.

tinkerthinker on August 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Jesus didn’t have a last name.

andy85719 on August 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Uh, yeah He did….it’s Christ. Sorry, couldn’t resist…

sicoit on August 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Feels like a double bluff.

cpaulus on August 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Amen and Gig’em!

txag92 on August 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Perry’s chances of winning the nomination = Zero.

haner on August 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Heh. Dream on.

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

And an Aggie in every cabinet seat too.

SlaveDog on August 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM

The only two presidents that were native Texans were Eisenhower and LBJ. People forget that Bush 41 &43 were born and raised in New England. I’ve always beleived that 43′s accent was a little contrived. 43 didn’t move to Texas until he was in his 20s and you have to be born and raised in Texas to get the accent that he had.

TxAnn56 on August 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

30,000 sounds like a great crowd for an event like this, the other camps were ready to embarrass him with the expected less than 10,000.

He really looks like Reagan. Wouldn’t surprise me if his team was looking at old Reagan footage and using the same colors. I remember Reagan most in a dark suit, red tie, and white shirt.

Yep, I know that will make the Mittbots and the left crazy.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM

SlaveDog on August 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Bless your heart…… :-)

sicoit on August 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

The problem with people like you

Here we go!

is that you often attempt to speak for Jesus

I do not. I do not speak to Him, either. And one reason is that there are so many other people who do speak to Him.

Lighten up, Francis. You are free, as guaranteed by the First Amendment, to exercise your religion. But you should not be insulted by the people who simply don’t think that religion should be part of public discourse, and especially not while talking public policy. In other words, the Scripture you can cite on the topic of debt, for example, is impressive, but it’s not legally binding.

I like to see the phrase “In God We Trust” on money, and I like to hear people get sworn in by saying, “So help me God,” but that’s it.

You may also be interested to know that I still had high regard for Mike Huckabee, a real live Baptist minister, before he dropped out of the race.

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Sarah Palin, Queen of the Quitters, retweets an article from Whitney Pitcher that hit Rick Perry on his handling of the Texas debt:

Governor Palin Retweets Article from Whitney Pitcher and PA4Palin That Notes How Rick Perry Almost Tripled Texas’ Total Debt

Falz on August 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I will bet that there’s a lot of people in Texas who think that everyone else talks funny.

And they’d be right.

SlaveDog on August 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Well if he didn’t bring lightning and rain he must not be in with the big man upstairs.

unseen on August 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM

From the first clip, looks like a big and ..ahem.. diverse croud.

atxcowgirl on August 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Perry can pray all he wants, he’ll wreck the country as fast as GWB was doing with his immigration policy.

Admittedly, that is slower than the speed Ogabe is wrecking it.

But does us no good if that’s the best we can do.

We don’t need this TX RINO braggart sellout, another Texan who runs for president of the wrong country… We need a patriot, and someone who loves American citizens.

rightwingyahooo on August 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Thank you, AP, for this post. I’ll have time later to watch the vid but I can’t wait! I’m so thankful 30,000 people attented. How wonderful.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Falz on August 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

The article compared all the governors in the race not just Perry. Mitt, Timmy and Hunstman don’t do so well either.

unseen on August 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast… proselytizing.

My prayer this morning is that we might see the face of God each and every day, as we go through the hustle and bustle of our lives, that we rise above the here and now and kneel before the eternal.

faraway on August 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

That’s because they’re not looking under the bus! There’s a whole mess of ‘em down there! That and the video the LA Times won’t release…

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Esthier on August 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM

My list starts with Stalin and Lenin…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 5:22 PM

SouthernGent on August 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM

So…maybe you’re waiting for him to come down, hold your hand, make some s’mores and sing a few verses of kumbaya with you? The Lord helps those that help themselves. Get busy, get involved.

chaswv on August 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Thank You, for your concern.

PakviRoti on August 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Tx leads in job creation for the last 10 yrs….so check your facts.

tinkerthinker on August 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Check yours.

steebo77 on August 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I’m glad you backpedaled within one post.

You absolutely did speak for Jesus when you said, upon reflection, he would have voted to raise the debt ceiling. Now what exactly could you be reflecting on when you are clearly ignorant to scripture and try to drive home your point with snark instead of supporting arguments? It’s amazing how rationality and faith go quite well together when you make an honest argument.

You then went completely off topic with the second part of your post about the first amendment. We were talking about you proclaiming Jesus would vote for a debt ceiling hike, not the first amendment. This is the only reason I brought up scripture, and Perry never proclaimed what Jesus would do. Though I love how you support the freedom of religion so long as it’s not in public.

Daemonocracy on August 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM

God, how the left hate this.

Schadenfreude on August 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM

When someone disagrees with your candidate, they must be on the left, right? Great logic there.

Two reasons why Perry will never be nominated:

1. He’s soft on immigration (until very recently after he’s thinking of running for President).

2. He’s another Texas governor. Yeah, yeah Texas has a lower unemployment rate, but it also has a massive illegal immigrant population courtesy of the years of Bush and Perry, who did almost nothing to stem the tide. Two-thirds of the illegal immigrants in the Midwest came via the Texas gateway. The Governor of Arizona has more balls than Perry ever could gather.

haner on August 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Actually, Christ is from the Greek translation of Messiah. His name was Jesus of Nazareth. I suppose in languages with a genitive case, “of Nazereth” would be his last name.

andy85719 on August 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM

andy85719 on August 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I know, just pulling your leg. It’s been such a krappy day with all of the bad news, I just had to find some fun in it. :-)

sicoit on August 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I did not backpedal. Maybe my first sentence required a sarcasm tag, or something, so you could understand it.

Yes, I love that, too. That’s why they have church. It’s a place people can gather to exercise their religion, instead of in public.

you are clearly ignorant to scripture

I really don’t care. I’m more interested in the National League (MLB)standings.

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Admittedly, that is slower than the speed Ogabe is wrecking it.

But does us no good if that’s the best we can do.

rightwingyahooo on August 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Exactly. Did anyone else also notice the giant Spanish translations in the big screen monitors behind Perry during his prayer?

haner on August 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Not in the realm of possibility that this country will elect a white, middle-aged Texas governor in 2012. The political pendulum just doesn’t swing back that far that fast.

Perry will eventually grok that. He won’t run.

rrpjr on August 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM

haner on August 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Immigration is his worst issue, hands down. The sad thing is, all candidates and would be candidates are horrendous on immigration. Only Bachmann has a decent record. Most politicians don’t have the guts to do something about it. Maybe they’ll regret being silent when Texas finally turns blue. And it will eventually.

TxAnn56 on August 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

That’s because they don’t know Perry. If you live down here you have seen him in action. He’s just getting warmed up :)

Dr Evil on August 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Yup, the loony left will be going full-on with the Christian hate and bigotry over this, but their fearful leader Barry? They’ll be sooo disappointed when some lefty reporter asks Barry about Perry praying for him, and Barry says: “I think that’s wonderful. We could all use some prayer right now.” Barry’s in campaign mode, and he always finds Jesus when he’s in campaign mode.

Rational Thought on August 6, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM

If you don’t care, then don’t predict what Jesus would do. It’s kind of important to be informed on these things before you can “reflect” on what Jesus would or wouldn’t do.

Unfortunately for you, you also don’t understand the Constitution in addition to scripture (the same scripture which influenced the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the pro democracy writings of the Age of Enlightenment and the Magna Carta), because the first amendment clearly protects the freedom of religious expression and does not confine it to within the walls of a church. Yes, it is ok for an elected Governor to attend a prayer breakfast, it would not be ok for him to prevent others from attending their own prayer breakfast or pass a law outlawing all other religons. All he is doing is praying though, so it’s all good.

Daemonocracy on August 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Reports: 30,000 in attendance and 80,000 IP addresses watching the livestream, including simulcasts at 1,100 churches.

publiuspen on August 6, 2011 at 6:04 PM

TxAnn56 on August 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Not to nitpick, but thats not quite right. The Bushes moved to Midland when 43 was two years old, and he spent his childhood there until the family moved to Houston when he was in is teens. His residence has been TX for almost his entire life. I’ve heard speeches by his boyhood friends from Midland.

juliesa on August 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I don’t care if this prayer meeting is smart politics or not. I am glad to know others are praying for this country, too. This event has been the only good news in a completely disastrous week.

bitsy on August 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I’m reminded of the old saying, “I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition!”

The first amendment clearly protects the freedom of religious expression and does not confine it to within the walls of a church.

It’s not confined to inside church, it’s true, but there are places where it’s considered inappropriate. Through painstaking experience, we’ve learned that when it is generally kept inside church, it’s less likely to offend or insult people of other denominations or religions.

The conservative movement has scared away plenty of potential converts to the Right over the years, in my opinion, because some people just haven’t learned to stop talking about Jesus all the time. Even Huckabee didn’t do that, and he was a professional.

Emperor Norton on August 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM

haner on August 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

It’s not the governor’s job to protect the border. It’s the federal government’s. And it’s probably true that Bush didn’t do a very good job on that as president.

juliesa on August 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM

rrpjr on August 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Americans are so desperate, they have a good chance of electing a *gasp* Texan to the Oval Office.

I’m being sarcastic as I happen to like Texans and feel that if he reminds voters of GWB (W now represents the good ole days of 5-6% unemployment) it’s not a negative.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM

publiuspen on August 6, 2011 at 6:04 PM

So much for all that hand wringing by the LameStreamMedia that this was going to be an epic failure.

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM

publiuspen on August 6, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Thank you for the info. It’s heartening to know so many were praying all at the same time for our beloved country.

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

TxAnn56 on August 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

why yes, of course she does, she doesn’t have to deal with this issue, since she comes from a state that is not affected by immigration the way the Southern states are…so, of course her rhetorics on this is solid…but what do you call ‘decent record’ exactly? her speeches?…

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM

juliesa on August 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM

True. Trouble is, he said he would and then did not.

derft on August 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Perhaps Obama should pray for wisdom as well.

faraway on August 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Look, people in San Fran, Seattle, DC and the tri-state area won’t like him. But who cares. If he can do well in PA, IA, WI, OH and VA–that’s all we should care about. He might be somewhat worse than Romney in getting CO, NV, MI and NH.

IR-MN on August 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Calling the Nation to Prayer by Gov. Perry was much better than listening to the church leader that B.O. praised.

I’m assuming that those of you that are mocking God and Gov. Perry aren’t commenting and asking God’s comfort for the families of the over 30+ American Heroes that were killed today.

Making fun of others that believe in God is rude, to say the least.

bluefox on August 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM

SnarkVader on August 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Next you’ll be telling us the fairy tale that Hitler was a Christian.

One very obvious problem with that story: Hitler was not a Christian because Jesus was a JEW!!!

We have copies of the Hitler Youth Camp training manuals to prove it.

NickDeringer on August 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Two-thirds of the illegal immigrants in the Midwest came via the Texas gateway.

haner on August 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Not picking on you, but I want to point out that half of the US/Mexico border is Texas, and TX is closer to Midwest than AZ and CA are. I expect a lot of the CA and AZ traffic that leaves those states goes to CO, UT, Nevada, the northwest etc. So it’s no surprise that most of your illegals in the Midwest come through TX.

Geography has a lot of effect on these things.

juliesa on August 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Perry also strongly supported the Trans-Texas Corridor in spite of massive opposition by Texans and his own party. Parts of the corridor was deemed the “NAFTA Superhighway.”

Thank God the Texas legislature killed it.

haner on August 6, 2011 at 6:48 PM

With all the hype, this was a rather dull speech under delivered and a little gloomy sounding.

While Perry will be compared to GWB, I think with this televised religious event, he will now draw even more comparisons to televangelists i.e. Swaggert, Hagee etc. People were already saying that he kinda looks like one and now he’s acting like one too.

Perry would’ve been better off just attending the event (especially giving an unremarkable speech) rather than being in a line up with religious leaders/televangelists.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM

NickDeringer on August 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Hitler was deeply into the occult and was BFFs with Muslim mullahs.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM

TxAnn56 on August 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Romney actually isn’t that horrible on immigration. NumbersUSA and Tom Tancredo endorsed him in 2008. He’s certainly far better than Perry.

Jon0815 on August 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM

He could have been Romney-esque and put his wet finger to the wind and not attended and then 2 months after it was over release a statement “No, I don’t think I’ll go.”

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Tom Tancredo endorsed him in 2008.

Jon0815 on August 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Let me guess. Romney would happily have Tom Tancredo endorse him in 2012.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Falz on August 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I don’t know about the merits of the article, but I think C4P is right that this pretty much puts the kibosh on talk of Palin’s being Perry’s personal cheerleader.

Yep, I know that will make the Mittbots and the left crazy.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Reagan was an allegedly unelectable grassroots favorite. Perry’s main selling point is that he’s the allegedly electable alternative to an allegedly unelectable grassroots favorite. At this point, little else. We’ll see how it pans out ultimately.

polling second in the GOP field

I’d be willing to bet that if he enters the race second place is just about as high as Perry goes.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I like this man more and more everyday.

Thanks for posting

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Making fun of others that believe in God is rude, to say the least.

bluefox on August 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Deep, strong, born-again Christianity scares some people and makes them very uncomfortable. I know I’ve lost so called friends because of my faith.

I LOVE that he doesn’t shy away from who he is and what his faith means to him.

I hope his event was wildly successful. The country needs all the prayers it can get.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Reagan was also the governor of one of the largest states in the country for 8 years and during that time, because he was one of the governors of one of the largest states, had to pass legislation that would be considered RINOish today by Palin supporters.

cpaulus on August 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Falz on August 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

What? One “re-tweet”? If I were in her camp I’d be at the “Tweet or get off the pot” phase. It’s past time for both her and Perry at least to announce a time frame to announce or not.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

cpaulus on August 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Which had very little to do with why people voted for him. I don’t care if he was governor of half the country for 45 years.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

bluefox on August 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Nice post!..:)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Mitt Romney signed cut cap and balance over a month ago and praised Boenher throughout the every changing deal making. When the final bill was decided, Mitt couldn’t support it.

Sarah wishes Mitt’s style was more like hers but she forgets he’s not a pundit. Sarah’s finger was just playing politics and blurring the line between pundit and candidate.

In fact, Perry has been the one sticking his finger in the wind for weeks deciding on whether or not run for office.

The two main takeaways from this event.

For someone who is touted as charismatic, he was dull and uninspiring.

And he really does look like a televangelist.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM

What? One “re-tweet”?

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Yep. Read it and weep. If Perry does it, it’ll most likely have to be on his own.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Sarah wishes Mitt’s style was more like hers but she forgets he’s not a pundit.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM

So what has Mitt been for the past 3 years while he’s been hiding behind the drapes? What we can’t forget is that Romney just isn’t very charismatic or inspiring.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I don’t think he will have a problem with that..:)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM

That blog post by that Whitney girl?

Yeah not exactly “weeping” material.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

And he really does look like a televangelist.

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM

And Mittens looks like a used car salesman.

Knucklehead on August 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

That blog post by that Whitney girl?

Yeah not exactly “weeping” material.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Whitney whoever has nothing to do with it. Not having Rah Rah Pom Pom Palin that apparently so many have been banking on would most definitely be weeping material.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

sheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Number of Perry posts/pics currently on the front page: 5.
Exciting, inspiring Romney: 0.

Marcus on August 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

You think her re-tweeting that post proves she wouldn’t endorse him? I think you are making more out of that then there is.

As for Perry – I think he’s more than capable of doing it on his own.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

If it comes down to the economy in 2012, Romney can most credibly make the case to swing voters that he has the knowhow fix what Obama broke. Palin has a significantly more difficult time selling that idea.

dedalus on August 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM

dedalus on August 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM

No way is Romney beating Obama. Forget it. Romney’s “know how” is going to come down to imposing insurance mandates.

If Palin doesn’t run, I don’t think she’s getting all rah-rah about any candidate, actually.

As for Perry – I think he’s more than capable of doing it on his own.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I doubt it. The more he’s been in the spotlight, the more problematic he’s seeming.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM