Horrendous: 31 U.S. troops, most from SEAL Team 6, killed when Taliban shoots down helicopter

posted at 12:21 pm on August 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Thirty-eight are dead in all, including seven Afghan troops who were aboard. As many as 25 of the Americans were SEALs and a majority of them reportedly were from Team 6 — the same unit that got Bin Laden. Whether any of the men on that mission were killed today, the White House hasn’t said (yet). In almost 10 years of war, it’s the single deadliest incident for U.S. soldiers by far, and these were the very best of the best. I’m trying to find solace in the fact that those numbers are small compared to terrible days in previous wars, but I’m not finding it.

The cause: A Taliban RPG.

The helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in the Tangi Valley of the Wardak Province just west of Kabul, the coalition official said. The Taliban claimed credit for the attack…

There were conflicting accounts about when the helicopter went down. A spokesman for the Taliban, Zabiullah Mujahid, said insurgents shot down the helicopter around 11 p.m. Friday as it was starting an operation on a house where the militants were gathering in the Tangi Joyee region of the district of Saidabad in the eastern part of the province. Eight militants were killed in the fight, which continued after the helicopter fell, Mr. Mujahid said…

Gen. Abdul Qayum Baqizoy, police chief of Wardak, said the operation began around 1 a.m. Saturday as NATO and Afghan forces attacked a Taliban compound in Jaw-e-mekh Zareen village in the Tangi Valley. The firefight lasted at least two hours, the general said.

“It was at the end of the operation that one of the NATO helicopters crashed,” he said. “We don’t know yet the cause of the crash, and we don’t know how many NATO soldiers were on board.”

Question for military readers: How low must the helicopter have been to be within range of an RPG? From what I understand, 200 meters or less is optimal for an attack, but if it was that low I assume the altitude plus the pilot’s maneuvering would save some of the people on board. Instead, catastrophe. Was this a lucky hit when the chopper was at a higher altitude or was this some other weapon entirely? CSM considers the ominous implications:

If the helicopter was shot down, it could have significant implications for the war effort. Insurgents have hit helicopters in the past, but never in any great numbers. If today’s crash is an isolated incident, it is unlikely to significantly affect the direction of the war or American public perception, despite the magnitude of casualties that included so many highly trained commandos. But if it marks the beginning of a trend in which insurgents use advanced anti-aircraft weapons, it could cost NATO crucial air superiority…

“This technology and how the Taliban have accessed it raise the question from where and from what sources were they able to get such technology,” says Waliullah Rahmani, executive director of the Kabul Center for Strategic Studies. “If the Taliban is able to get regular access to these technologies, it will certainly have a significant, unfortunately dangerous effects for the future of the war in Afghanistan.”

Hmmm. I wonder who’d want to supply the Taliban with weapons like that.

Here’s the inevitable “will this encourage a faster withdrawal from Afghanistan?” piece. The answer to that depends on the answer to CSM’s question of what brought the chopper down, I think.

Update: At least 20 members of Team 6 are dead. It’s the biggest loss of life the unit has ever suffered.

Update: According to Fox, there may be as many as 300 men in Team 6. The unit hasn’t been wiped out, but it’s obviously suffered a grievous loss.

Update: An eyewitness account:

Mansour Majab, a resident of the area, said he saw four to six helicopters in the village around 2 a.m. Saturday morning, as he rose for a pre-dawn meal before beginning his dawn-to-dusk fast during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

An hour later, Mr. Majab said, he “heard a rocket shot” and went up to his roof to see what was happening. “We saw a helicopter was shot down and it was set on fire,” he said…

Poorly armed insurgents have rarely had success in shooting down U.S. helicopters in Afghanistan.

Update: Conspiracy theories are bound to rage about Team 6 taking such a heavy hit so soon after they cut off the head of the snake. One commenter’s already raised the possibility of local jihadis or Pakistan being tipped off to the fact that Team 6 members would be on this raid. Note the quoted bit above about four to six helicopters in the village, though; was everyone on board those choppers a Team 6 member or did the enemy just get fantastically lucky in hitting the one that happened to carry men from the unit?

Update: Pentagon sources tell Fox News they don’t believe any of the men from Team 6 who were killed today were part of the Bin Laden raid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I cried when I read this.

RIP you American Heroes – you will be missed and never forgotten.

gophergirl on August 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

CNN is now saying this was a reinforcing mission for an ongoing firefight. That makes a little more sense tactically, though as I said in the headlines thread, I think this still boils down to ROE.

Typically, a pinned-down unit, as CNN seems to be speculating, would call in for close air support. I suspect that option has been largely eradicated due to ROE. Even if our troops were pinned down and the action was close, I’d be surprised if someone couldn’t lase the target and put pretty accurate poundage on the enemy. Short of that, helo gunships would seem to be the next best thing.

I don’t know. I realize I’m second-guessing but it sure sounds like the human option is all we’re left with due to REO. Even taking out bin Laden seemed never to be a capture mission; a couple of drones would have been a lot safer than the option chosen.

BKeyser on August 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM

burn down every single poppy field they can find…and salt the earth.

equanimous on August 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM

TeresainFortWorth on August 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Hi, just wanted to say nice website and tribute.

bluefox on August 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Heartbroke

bernzright777 on August 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Are there no counter measures we cannot place on our helicopters?????

blatantblue on August 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

This is absolutely horrific. I simply don’t understand why any information was ever released concerning the killing of bin Laden. I just can’t imagine that this information would be released by any other President. I am so horrified upset and angry I can barely speak.

Rest in peace our brave brave Seals and all of the others who died in this horrible attack. My prayers go out to all of the family members and to our entire nation on this heartbreaking day.

Joy on August 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM

leak?

clnurnberg on August 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I am more isolationist than most on this blog but in cases like this, I’m all for loading up the bombers and letting loose. This is absolutely horrible. And it’s unfortunate we have such a pantywaist in the White House b/c if we had a real president with some actual balls, they probably wouldn’t have had the nerve to even try something like this for fear of their entire country being turned into a giant ashtray.

NoLeftTurn on August 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Are there no counter measures we cannot place on our helicopters?????

blatantblue on August 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Not really anything you can do against an RPG, it’s a very simple point and shoot device with no guidance. Almost like a bottle rocket with a grenade at the end. All of our aircraft have at least some electronic countermeasures, but this comes down to a lucky shot.

BadMojo on August 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Enough of this already. If we go to war then lets do it and get it over with. We as a country have troops maintaining the peace all over the globe so that those we have allied with and those that hate us can continue to live at the expense of our people.

I am not against the use of military force. I think that it is a most effective means to an end. But you go in, do the job, get out and let the b@st@rds left behind pay for and clean up the mess.

In other words….

“Kill em all and let God sort em out.”

(PS – Not very enlightened of me, I know, but it is how I feel)

mechkiller_k on August 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Are there no counter measures we cannot place on our helicopters?????

blatantblue on August 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

That will never happen during an okenyan presidency. Shocker that he hasn’t even come out and made a single statement about this.

ErinF on August 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM

…been crying since I heard the news a bit ago.

RIP & God bless

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Allahpundit, your tag was “RIP” which is fvcking ironic given your stance on religion. You really are a piece of work.

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Inside job.. 5 or 6 afghans just happened to be on board

look at the odds.

And “ugly” why would you ever care what AP says.. he’s/she’s the most unlikely to succeed in life.. the one who say in June of 09 that the Tea Party would never be anything..

move along.

amend2 on August 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Each paid the ultimate price while defending this great nation.

Thank you for your service and bravery. The country’s indebtedness to each of you is eternal.

rukiddingme on August 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM

move along.

amend2 on August 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I remember.

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I’m not sure you’re thinking very clearly amid the emotion of the events. The man offered what he had for his particular outlook.

Does this…

sound like someone who doesn’t understand the sacrifice they made?

Aren’t we better than that?

hawkdriver on August 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Aren’t we better than that?

hawkdriver on August 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Yes. And I am sorry. This, on top my sister being rushed the ER today has messed with my head.

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Glass. Americans make cool things with glass.

Key West Reader on August 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM

You hang in there.

We are all here with you, together.

Key West Reader on August 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM

There is no withdrawal from Afghanistan going on. The American troop level is at, or near, it’s very peak, around 100,000 troops, more than twice the number Obama inherited from Bush.

But no, we must never withdraw from Afghanistan until we have succeed in creating a Great Islamic Society in Afghanistan with our brilliant Islamic Nation Building there. No matter how much Blood and Treasure it costs, no matter if we have to stay there until the year 2525. Just as the Stimulus didn’t work because there wasn’t enough of it and it didn’t last long enough. Same idea. Stay the course! Stay the course!

Lon Chaney on August 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM

If the US cannot accomplish its mission in Afghanistan after 10 years, it is time to come home. Enough of this senselessness and we obviously cannot afford whatever the heck it is that we are dong there.
BTW – the originally stated mission in Afghanistan was accomplished in mere months, if not weeks.

Guess those not so secret talks with the Taliban were not as fruitful as our leading from the rear Generals surmised. Maybe, if the troops must still stay there, if the CIC and his generals would allow the troops to return to the gloves off tactics used against enemies in previous wars or in other words, let the troops do what they were trained to do without almost code pink rules of engagement that put them at a huge disadvantage, the outcome could be a successful mission of some sort.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on August 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Key West Reader on August 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Thank you. Her name is Terri and its a heart thing. I’m keeping the phone close, of course.

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM

hawkdriver on August 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I did respond to you in this thread.

csdeven on August 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Psalm 23

labrat on August 6, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Knock it off

blatantblue on August 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM

blatantblue on August 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Did you not read the thread?

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM

RIP and God bless these men and their loved ones.

The DoD or Obama bureaucrats or political-level security appointees — in their pink ties and waiting for their smug return as Democrats to the Council on Foreign Relation, Brookings Institute, or second-tier investment banks who leaked this loss and its SEAL connection ought to be shot. It’s a totally unacceptable lack of discretion. It gives gratuitous comfort and satisfaction to our enemies. Its a propaganda and morale windfall for them. Does anyone in the US national security apparatus and the Obama admin. have an ounce of common sense and pride? Contemptible swine.

livetsown on August 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM

blatantblue on August 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Know what? FU and the horse you think you rode in on.

Yes I have personal issues happening right this very moment, but for an asswipe like you to pass judgement is almost funny.

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I’m really at a loss of words.

Condolences for those who were directly touched by this tragedy.

And a heart-felt thanks for those men and women willing to put their lives at risk. Godspeed.

Re-reading this my words don’t express my deepest sympathies.

Brass on August 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Yes there are still honorable people in America. They just don’t own it anymore.

MikeA on August 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Thank you for your service and your families service to our nation!

I totally understand how you feel. I have days where I feel the same.. like it’s time to just pack the whole thing in. It gets frustrating.

But, these are the times we have to step back… step away from our feelings and grab onto something called hope, and remember. Now, I know what Rush has said about hope. I disagree with him. When he runs down hope, what he is really running down is wishful thinking. Hope and wishful thinking are not the same.

But, as for where we find ourselves today…

From Lincoln’s 2nd inaugural address:

Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came. …

Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman’s two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said “the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.” 3
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation’s wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

We are in a war.
And how we all wish it would end. How we wish we could declare our victory, return to our comfort and rest! But yet, it goes on! We fight an enemy abroad who wants to destroy America while at the same time fighting one at home who wants to tear it down. There are no easy answers. There is only work.

You said that there are good Americans, but they no longer own the country. I disagree. They are the country. It is the barbaric horde inhabiting Washington DC that does not own this country.

I just do not have any easy answers, but I know this, I firmly believe that previous generations of Americans have faced battles, hardships and tragedies that were unprecedented during their times. We look back in history now from the comfort and safety of our homes and things like the Revolution, the Civil War and Presidents like Woodrow Wilson and think it wasn’t all that bad. But the Americans living during that time did not have the luxury of seeing into the future and knowing American would still survive!

There have been desperate times in the past. And without going on and writing a thousand more words, all I can say is I am not cashing in my chips! I cannot afford to! I have children! I have a wife! And when I go out into the community, I see that there are other children out there and other men’s wives and I am not going to just quit and give up on my nation just because a bunch of despicable worthless men want to beat their chests and convince us all they have won! No they haven’t!

Yeah, people get tired and frustrated.. so did the East Germans! But the wall came down! Yeah, people get frustrated, fearful and want to quit.. so did a bunch of GI’s as they headed toward Normandy! But somehow against all odds they got a toehold! We haven’t faced anything like that yet! But I will tell you, the Bible says we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses. I believe that! I believe there are those from previous generations who look down on us and sometimes shake their heads! Not at what we must confront, because they had confronted things as hard or worse, but because of how quickly some of us want to cede the field of battle! How quickly we want to quit and give up because it appears too difficult!

So what, maybe it is all unattainable! Maybe it is all to great a task. Then what do we have to lose by standing firm and continuing the fight for our nation!? Isn’t America worth the fight?

JellyToast on August 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM

get these ****ers and we will. Wade 0321

Wade on August 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Tribute for the Team 6 and all Service folks who fought and gave all for their country.

Go Seals.

dec5 on August 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM

The Tunnel Vision of the COIN-bots

At the very end of this story lies the money quote on the thunking bankruptcy, military and political, of the American strategy in Afghanistan. It is the bankruptcy of Petraeus-McChrystal-Bush-Obama-Petraeus “population-centric COIN,” as Brig. Gen. Lewis Craparotta of Task Force Leatherneck still calls it, and no, it hasn’t been phased out.

What was that about a debt ceiling?

Ultimately, such efforts will be more important to defeating the insurgency than the military might of U.S. or Afghan troops, [Marine Maj. Gen. John]Toolan said.

Here we go again.

Toolan, fyi, is commander of some 30,000 American and coalition forces in southwestern Afghanistan, including Helmand and Nimroz provinces. A very important military man, in other words, and, as such, he, too, is a population-centric COIN-bot. Repeat after me: “It’s really the ability of the government to deliver goods and services that will win the people over and give legitimacy to the whole government,” Toolan actually said, his lips somehow forming the creaky, rusted-out canard of never-never COIN-land, producing the call of hearts and minds and unicorns and bribery that is never enough, that, for the better part of a decade now, has been killing our best for nothing more than a cracked chunk of rubble. Meanwhile, back in Pakistan … Meanwhile, back in Central and South America …

But the only thing that matters to our leadership are the feelings and roads and dams and rec centers of the misogynist, pederast, polygamist and Islamic supremacist tribes of Afghanistan.

Why?

If they can’t deliver, the people will turn against them toward the Taliban.

Who cares?

Lon Chaney on August 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Knock it off

blatantblue on August 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM

The more I read this the more angry & upset I get.

You’ve got got some nerve, kid.

Ugly on August 7, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Neath the stars,
‘Neath the sky,
As we go,
This we know,
God is nigh.

Letter to Mrs. Bixby
In the fall of 1864, Massachusetts Governor John A. Andrew wrote to President Lincoln asking him to express condolences to Mrs. Lydia Bixby, a widow who was believed to have lost five sons during the Civil War. Lincoln’s letter to her was printed by the Boston Evening Transcript. Later it was revealed that only two of Mrs. Bixby’s five sons died in battle (Charles and Oliver). One deserted the army, one was honorably discharged, and another deserted or died a prisoner of war.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,–

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

This news to me has been a kick in the balls. I have a kid thats a “Devil Doc” he wants to try out for buds. All I can do it tell him to do so. I cannot sit here and say ” Yea go seals all the time then not have my kid try to be one’
I no words to help the families their loss is tremendous.

ColdWarrior57 on August 7, 2011 at 12:21 AM

This is time to get out of this mess, we are not going to win in a dirt poor country with no structure. Those guys have nothing to do except shoot at anything they deem hostile. If we have trouble just bomb their leaders whenever or where-ever they gather. Also, restrict any and all migrants from the area. Let them fight for their country.

Africanus on August 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Rule of war #2 – The enemy gets a vote, too.

This ambush is not a new tactic.

What chopper in that theater carries 38 troops? Assume CH-46 but that’s an overload for Sea Knight. There’s more to this story.

Caststeel on August 7, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Well, that didn’t take long. Ann Barnhardt spins quite the crazy and it starts with, wait for it…

Birtherism.

Yes, hard to believe but true. Ann believes the SEALs were killed because of BO’s birth certificate.

I like Ann and I will always have a spot in my heart for a woman who bookmarks the koran with strips of bacon before setting the stupid thing on fire.

But this is ridiculous.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 2:33 AM

I wonder what the White House reaction to this truly is? Not the packaged for public presentation but the actual feelings shared among so many within the current West Wing whom share a Hanoi Jane mentality toward our military toward NASA. Consider Big Sis’ Nutpolitano’s deranged statements against our veterans.

Whenever I think of Billy Ayers and many other dishonorables allowed easy access to the White House it makes me wonder how much our enemies abroad have been aided by our enemies within.

viking01 on August 7, 2011 at 2:39 AM

But this is ridiculous.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 2:33 AM

But then isn’t just about everything about Obama ridiculous? Who would have ever thought just a generation ago that there could ever be such a creature in the Oval Office?

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on August 7, 2011 at 4:36 AM

If any conspiracy could be attached, though a tetchy subject, it would not be farfetched that several actually died during the OBL raid when one of the chopper’s crashed. And the administration held the info back to highlight the success of the mission.
Regardless they are all patriots, thank you team 6.

kregg on August 7, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Heroes every one. America is fortunate to have such. Pray for the people they left behind.

Metanis on August 7, 2011 at 8:46 AM

RIP
What a total waste of our soldiers this war is. It should not take 10 years to ‘win’ a war in a 10th century country. We should not be trying to win hearts and minds or building roads, schools and infrastructure. Crash, burn and destroy down to the last poppy field and mud hut and get out. The govt has lost total focus on our purpose in Afghan just as they have on the domestic issues. There’s too many politicians running wars.

Kissmygrits on August 7, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Such a sad day. RIP brave men.

My heart however breaks for all the family members receiving such tragic news – wives, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, grandfathers, grandmothers and other family and a lifetime of friends and fellow soldiers – the number of grieving is staggering.

The saddest part of this – is the young men & women who die alone – and who are not ever mentioned in the news – and are only grieved by their family and friends.

Every US Armed Forces person is as valuable and loved and will be missed as much as the next, their name, their ‘former’ career, their education (or lack thereof), their circumstances of their death is no more nor no less than any other.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. (George S. Patton)

jackal40 on August 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM

My question is which traitor within our military gave the Taliban the inside information that this was a high value target.
We are infiltrated and compromised at every level.

FactsofLife on August 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I am reposting this from another thread because folks here might be interested.

Obama isn’t done taking credit for what these brave, brave soldiers fought and died for. Prepare to be outraged:

Hey Ed and Allah:

Are you guys going to post something about the Obama White House working with Hollywood to produce a film on the Bin Laden killing — to be released Oct. 12, 2012! — for which they are allowing the producers access to highly classified information?

Today’s Dowd column says:

The moviemakers are getting top-level access to the most classified mission in history from an administration that has tried to throw more people in jail for leaking classified information than the Bush administration.

I find this sickening, particularly coming after Seal Team 6 lost so many yesterday. Obama is revealing classified information so Hollywood can make him look like Clint Eastwood right before the election. Chalk another one up for “If a Republican did this…”

I sincerely hope this despicable, vainglorious propaganda film backfires — and backfires big — right before the election.

Rational Thought on August 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Rational— agreed. You add the piss poor job record of this President and I think the movie will in fact upset more than it gets to the polls.

CW on August 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

You’ve got got some nerve, kid.
Ugly on August 7, 2011 at 12:20 AM

No you hve nerve slinging mud when it’s about the guys that were slaughtered in that chopper.

blatantblue on August 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

May God hold their families in the hollow of His hand.

kingsjester on August 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Birtherism.

But this is ridiculous.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Libs always accuse others of the things they, in fact, actually do.

JellyToast on August 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I’d like to think the SEALs and USAF paratroopers and all SOF in asscrackistan are going to tear ass and burn sh1t to the ground but I am sure our brave civilian leaders will find a way to hold them back.

blatantblue on August 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM

blatantblue on August 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I think you missed where he took it back.

hawkdriver on August 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM

RIP to our warriors and kneemail for ALL families & friends…………

has a maximum, effective range of 300 meters against moving point targets and 500 meters against stationary point targets. 500 meters is also the maximum range of rocket assisted flight, which enables a flatter trajectory and more accurate aiming.
AND
At the maximum range of 920 meters, RPGs self explodes (4.5 seconds from firing) and that’s how the weapon is sometime used as a form of “artillery”, spraying shrapnel over military installations, or slow, low flying or hovering helicopters.

Katfish on August 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Some believe the Taliban may have been tracking Seal Team 6 ever since Joe Biden opened his big, fat, stupid mouth and told the world they were the ones who took out Bin Laden.

Rational Thought on August 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Rational Thought on August 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Then some people must believe that a pack of animals living in mud huts are pretty darned sophisticated if they are able to locate, let alone track, any US special forces. Even with help from the usual suspects it would be a long shot.

But Biden does indeed have a big, fat, stupid mouth.

The enemy would get much more in terms of revenge by striking any number of extremely soft civilian targets inside the US. It’s not as if we have ever done anything serious about protecting our borders. We are wide open to covert invasion. Once inside the country the enemy could cause mass murder and mayhem on a massive scale with only the most basic and elementary tools. I am continually amazed that in all the time since 9/11 there has not been a repeat of terror on that scale.

Just imagine a half dozen of these monsters turned loose inside a public school. Or a shopping mall. Or a subway.

We may thank God that they are so stupid and unimaginative.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Ugly on August 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I just noticed your post about your sister. Praying for her and you and all of your family.

bluefox on August 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM

We may thank God that they are so stupid and unimaginative.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM

GEEZ thanks for providing ‘them’ some coaching!

Katfish on August 7, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Again, they are apparently too stupid to do these things.

They certainly need no coaching from me. Hollywood is as good a source for ideas.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM

But while Obama takes the high road, his aides have made sure there are proxies to exuberantly brag on him.

The White House clearly blessed the dramatic reconstruction of the mission by Nicholas Schmidle in The New Yorker — so vividly descriptive of the SEALS’ looks, quotes and thoughts that Schmidle had to clarify after the piece was published that he had not actually talked to any of them.

“I’ll just say that the 23 SEALs on the mission that evening were not the only ones who were listening to their radio communications,”
Schmidle said, answering readers’ questions in a live chat, after taking flak for leaving some with the impression that he had interviewed the heroes when he wrote in his account that it was based on “some of their recollections.”

The White House is also counting on the Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal big-screen version of the killing of bin Laden to counter Obama’s growing reputation as ineffectual.

The Sony film by the Oscar-winning pair who made “The Hurt Locker” will no doubt reflect the president’s cool, gutsy decision against shaky odds. Just as Obamaland was hoping, the movie is scheduled to open on Oct. 12, 2012 — perfectly timed to give a home-stretch boost to a campaign that has grown tougher.

It was clear that the White House had outsourced the job of manning up the president’s image to Hollywood when Boal got welcomed to the upper echelons of the White House and the Pentagon and showed up recently — to the surprise of some military officers — at a CIA ceremony celebrating the hero SEALs.

Just like W., Obama is going for that “Mission Accomplished” glow (without the suggestive harness). At least in this president’s case, though, something has been accomplished.

Maureen Dowd is a New York Times columnist.

Akzed on August 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM

It seems to me that Seal Team 6 is being used.

If I may repost from the headlines:

Within minutes of this shootdown we were told it was ST6. Same with OBL shooting. I thought ST6 was classified. Why was this item allowed out before the families were notified?

What weapon brought down that chopper? Was it a lucky RPG or just the right weapon, which just happened to be there?

Why were they on a National Guard chopper and not a special ops chopper? A lucky RPG could bring down a standard NG bird, but probably not a special ops helo. Why were they all on one chopper?

Akzed on August 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Akzed on August 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM

RIP warriors, Valhalla awaits.

Kenosha Kid on August 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM

insurgents shot down the helicopter around 11 p.m. Friday

That would be 2:30 p.m. east coast time. I guess no one told the president because surely, SURELY, he would not have been dancing barefoot in the Rose Garden and leading a Conga line through the Blue Room if he knew about this. Surely.

IrishEi on August 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM

The Idiot went golfing today.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Obama took care of that problem by letting them infiltrate our armed forces with Islamic translators and Chaplains, then looking the otherway.

Perhaps the intel came from those who Obama is sharing the most top secret infomation with so they can make the movie. We can be sure that they all had top security clearance and would never share what they read, possibly including the names of who was on that raid. And of course the movie industry is made up of a rock solid patriotic group of Americans who would never do anything to hurt their country.

On that movie that Obama finds so important. He tried to ride the success that he took credit for after sleeping on it for 18 hours before giving in. He expected to get a long term popularity boost for his election campaign like all those presidents before him when they did something like that. So we have round two which being a narcissit socialist, and a little liberal imaginary help with the story line, he believes will have better results.

Franklyn on August 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

QRF(Quick Reaction Forces) are usually brought up when a raid goes “south”. The main concern is the opposition has not been cleared and has a clear lane to every possible landing zone. That area is made for RPG targeting, and is briefed as such. This may surprise, but what happened could have been much, much, worst. On my last deployment my QRF took 7 RPG(no hits) in a complex ambush. The shooters died quickly. Just remember, that U.S. Forces are now fighting the taliban in territory that they have controlled for years.BKeysers 7:56pm post covers the basics well, as does Hawkdrivers on the whys of the CH-47s. Look, all I can you, is on the ground, we are winning. What the Congress, and the NCA does with that in this environment, is anyones guess.

flackcatcher on August 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

THIS IS WHY YOU KEEP YOUR F…ING MOUTH SHUT ABOUT COVERT OPERATIONS.

stuartm650 on August 7, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Ok I never thought that ANYTHING would make me laugh in this article, but as Mr Reagan said. Never say never.

The Idiot went golfing today.
trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Lol well said.

ColdWarrior57 on August 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM

The Idiot went golfing today.

trapeze on August 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Lol well said.

ColdWarrior57 on August 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM

May Obama find a quicksand trap on his puttering around.

profitsbeard on August 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Re: earlier post; It’s a CH-47 Chinook. 38 is a load but not max. The chopper was departing the presumed finished action when hit. The mission was a success. It was not a special forces armored bird. The tactic the natives have developed from thirty years experience of dropping choppers with RPGs is a salvo. There were no “Seal Team 6″ members on board. The troops were other “special action forces” in support of the RA operation. The pilots were reserve recently in country.

It’s still 38 dead but there is a war going on. LSM, FO.

Caststeel on August 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Caststeel on August 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Good rundown but 38 would be maxing it out unless they went “Seats Out”. 33 troop seats. Two Pilots and two enlisted crwemembers. The ramp/tail gunner is supposted to have a regular seat, but a lot of times he sits on a cargo strapped bucket seat on the ramp with his M240.

hawkdriver on August 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Thanks Hawk. My info alluded to “more than 38 max.” with no cap.

So the bird would have been even slower than usual on liftoff. Sigh.

Understand recovery is underway as of 2:00PM WDT.

Please forgive the plug. KFI 640 2-4:00 Sundays. Bryan Suits.

Caststeel on August 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM

My son works on Chinooks…about to be deployed to this hell hole. Spoke to him this evening. He says it was definitely a rocket attack…too much damage for an RPG. He thinks that it was shot directly from beneath the bird where countermeasures are pretty much useless. IOW, they never had a chance.

trapeze on August 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I read this at Floppying Aces.
I agree with the article. The killing of those troops is obama and bidens fault. They had no business revealing the ID of the unit that took down bin laden. They in effect put cross hairs on the units back. Any one that leaked info that it was ST6 also is directly to blame.

ColdWarrior57 on August 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM