The obligatory “Rick Perry got C’s and D’s in college” post

posted at 7:30 pm on August 5, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via HuffPo, of course. Not only did he get C’s and D’s, he got a C in, er, gym and a D in … economics. Think that’ll give swing voters pause if/when they’re weighing Texas’s record of job creation against the economic magic of Hopenchange?

One reason that might explain his hostility toward [Texas's public university] system: He didn’t do very well in it. A source in Texas passed The Huffington Post Perry’s transcripts from his years at Texas A&M University. The future politician did not distinguish himself much in the classroom. While he later became a student leader, he had to get out of academic probation to do so. He rarely earned anything above a C in his courses — earning a C in U.S. History, a D in Shakespeare, and a D in the principles of economics. Perry got a C in gym…

“A&M wasn’t exactly Harvard on the Brazos River,” recalled a Perry classmate in an interview with The Huffington Post. “This was not the brightest guy around. We always kind of laughed. He was always kind of a joke.”

Follow the first link up top for his transcript; when HuffPo speculates about his “hostility” to the state’s university system, they’re referring to his attempt to make it more efficient and profitable. What else could be driving an initiative as nefarious as that except a grudge?

Needless to say, this is a bit of early meme-building by the left in case Perry catches fire and emerges from the field. Obama needs something to run on next year, and by “something” I mean “anything but his record.” As one Democratic pollster told the LA Times, “It’s not going to be 2008 ‘Yes, we can’ anymore. I think it’s going to be slash-and-burn.” What you’re seeing here is a partial preview of their two-pronged line of attack if Perry wins the nomination: One, he’s a religious fanatic, and two, he’s a dumb hick. In other words, he’s what the left always thought Bush was but even more so. And of course he’s a terrorist, but that goes without saying.

Exit question: If we’re going to have a “who’s smarter?” election, isn’t it time to finally put Obama’s college and law school transcripts out there? Seeing all those A’s and B’s would help take the edge off nine-percent unemployment. Maybe HuffPo will dig ‘em up. Or maybe not: Byron York flags the following passage from a HuffPo blogger’s post back in May when Trump was demanding Obama’s college records. Enjoy.

At the moment we have only Obama’s statements, in his own writings, about what sort of student he was. We do know that he attended a high-ranking elite private school in Hawaii, where the demands on students were considerable. But even if he was not at the top of his class, it’s important to recognize that many students who do poorly early on excel later, often making significant contributions. Should we demonize them and Obama for their early school standings?…

What can we learn from all this? Mr. Obama: Don’t show us your school transcripts. Whether outstanding or not they don’t matter. Let’s focus on the now!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Red State State of Mind on August 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I know who you’re talking about…I can’t stand her. BTW, I was actually agreeing with you that Perry’s “D” in economics is a silly and was giving the Fedex guy’s story to further prove the silliness.

Elisa on August 5, 2011 at 9:32 PM

You’re number is probably right. Though either number will get traction because it underscores a notion about Perry that is already out there.

I think Perry is a terrible communicator because I’ve seen him debate and I’ve seen him in interviews.

The most recent one was someone linked a Jon Stewart appearence and it was not good. In the interview, Perry grasps for words that don’t ever come to him, he doesn’t finish a thought and he lacks a robustness to defend his postion…..and it was a very soft congenial interview by Stewart!!

Though he came across very likable good ol boy, he still has an awful lot of negatives in his record. In the style department (too Texan, sounds too much like Bush, too religious, too Southern, too associated with the Tea Party) and in the governing department (big budget deficit, high unemployment, the Texas Trans-corridor, the HPV mandate, he took money from the Stimulus for heavens sake….the bedrock !…. etc.) and from what I’ve seen from Perry, I don’t think he has the communication skills to defend it.

sheryl on August 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM

sheryl, you have some god points but unemployment is NOT high here. Our workforce has grown, while the US has shrunk. In real terms, that puts the US and Tx unemployment rates far apart. People are moving here for jobs.

The deficit is balanced now.

juliesa on August 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM

*good* points

juliesa on August 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Strange, because every single Aggie I know, and I know quite a few, believes TAMU actually is Harvard on the Brazos.

Chad_ on August 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I failed my economics class. My teacher was an Italian immigrant, I couldn’t understand a word he was saying through his thick accent and just stopped showing up after a while. I was 19 or 20 and had no business in college at that time. Once I was put on academic probation and my parents cut off my funds, I got serious. Paying the bills yourself has that effect. I now read economics in my spare time and still know how to party.

If liberals really want to make an issue out of a three term, economically successful, Governor’s academic record then by all means, release everything on Obama for comparison. Then put his record as President up against Perry’s as Governor, that will be fun.

Also, that line about Perry being a “joke” is absolute bulls***. No C or D student is thought of as a joke in the classroom, they don’t care enough to even be noticed.

Daemonocracy on August 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Yes, Democrats go to A&M too. After Bush, I refuse to vote for an Ivy league grad again.
An Aggie that knocks his alma mater ain’t much of an Aggie…prob’ly a drop out or wannabe.

cartooner on August 5, 2011 at 10:36 PM

The obligatory “Rick Perry got C’s and D’s in college” post

So what? Perry’s gotten an “A” in governance, while Obama’s gotten an “F.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

The failure-in-chief is already in campaign mode fifteen months out. Do your job, mommmypants, and maybe we won’t be downgraded by S&P.

Oh wait; it’s too late. That horse has left the barn.

Nevermind, Mr. Articulate.

hillbillyjim on August 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM

The Left are so dumb – talk about the law of unintended consequences. Now the right can demand Obama’s grades every time this comes up, just like AP did.

What a bunch of turkeys!

Schadenfreude on August 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM

So what? Perry’s gotten an “A” in governance, while Obama’s gotten an “F.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Sweeter, yet, when Obama’s grades will be revealed, the left will be completely deflated.

Schadenfreude on August 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Have any of you ever met a narcissist who’d hide his As and Bs?

Schadenfreude on August 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM

juliesa on August 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I’m with Mitt though if Perry ends up being our candidate I’ll vote for him, advocate for others to vote for him….1.9 GPA and all of it.

sheryl on August 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM

You’re number is probably right.

sheryl on August 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM

No, you were right. I’m sorry. I added it and it was a 1.958 GPA. A lot of his B’s were in 1 and 2 credit courses while his C’s were in 3 credit courses. But again, I don’t think this will affect the election in the least. Many C students are successful, like Reagan. That’s all they need to retort – Reagan.

I can’t disagree with you more about Perry’s communication skills. I’ve only seen him in about a dozen serious interviews or speeches, but I think he does a great job. It’s one of the things I like best about him.

I didn’t see the Stewart interview, so I watched it tonight. I thought he did very well. It was more or a fluff piece, since Stewart’s show has a lot of jokes and interruptions and liberal spin. But Perry responded well and certainly got his points across. He made sense. And the likeability quotient cannot be underestimated.

I keep hearing the same litany of flaws. But it is certainly not “an awful lot of negatives.” No candidate or governor is perfect. But Perry has been governor of a huge state for over 10 years and there are very few negatives that people have come up with. None are serious or deal breakers.

Yankees love Texans. They have romanticized them. The only people who think being part of the Tea Party is a deal breaker are liberals who would never be voting against Obama anyway. Most independents and conservative Dems will easily vote for Perry. He isn’t as scary to them as some Tea Party candidates. He doesn’t come off as too religious. Plus, Yankees expect that in the Texans we like.

and in the governing department (big budget deficit, high unemployment,

Please. Perry’s record on jobs is what will win him the Presidency, no matter how the opposition will try to diminish it. When faced with a deficit because of the recession, Perry did what the Federal government should do. Cut spending.

The Texas Corridor and HPV mandate are not major issues and Perry didn’t fight the people on it and dropped them. The vaccine was all the rage all over the country back then. Those 2 examples are getting old already. Again, in 10+ years everyone would make at least a few mistakes.

And I don’t care he took some stimulus money that was already out there and approved. Lots of Republican governors did. He used it for one time expenses, not wanting to get used to Washington money that comes with strings. He still denounced the program and wouldn’t approve new stimulus programs as President. That’s the most important part.

He doesn’t have too many bad things to defend. His record is great and long.

Elisa on August 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM

If I were religious, I would pray we don’t get stuck with this Vegas Reagan Impersonator.

ronsfi on August 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I flunked my first MBA program economics course.

Professor was an avowed marxist… I argued with him strenuously in class.

So, I’d want further information before saying that getting a D in economics was a disqualifier.

But on the bright side, repeating the course next semester led me to one of my two best professors ever, one who had been one of President Reagan’s first Economic Advisers. He made economics not only interesting, but obvious. He changed economics from hated requirement courses, to ones I enjoyed. I became a groupie, and took every course he offered, way beyond the basic MBA requirements… even the PhD level ones.

LegendHasIt on August 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM

These are all stylistic, when we are governing on substance. And, by the way, most of those are not negatives, but positives.

and in the governing department (big budget deficit,

We can compare his to Obama’s any day of the week and Perry will win every time. Also, please remember that any deficit is for a two year time period (which makes it look twice as bad as it actually is).

high unemployment,

Actually, our unemployment rate is waaaaay lower than the average around the country. In fact, half of the jobs created in the last two years have been created here in Texas.

the Texas Trans-corridor,

That was a mistake from which he backed away quickly. He can learn from his mistakes (unlike our current president, it would seem).

Perry did accept most of the stimulus money, but he rejected the money with strings, most notably, the unemployment money:

Anyways, Perry’s achievements and track record are solid and stack up very, very well to Obama’s. Perry would win in a heartbeat against the President.

Theophile on August 6, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Have any of you ever met a narcissist who’d hide his As and Bs?

Schadenfreude on August 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM

That’s always been my point; if his stuff was good, he would be sticking it in our faces.

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Have any of you ever met a narcissist who’d hide his As and Bs?

Schadenfreude on August 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Very good point. I suppose O would use that as proof that he isn’t a narcissist, but we know the truth, lol.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 12:46 AM

0 had to seal his transcripts I believe. The Occidental info would show Barry Soetero as an Indonesian citizen. If he released any, he would have to release all.

Oleta on August 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Young Barry Obama had a couple of embarrassments in college:

He flunked Swahili 101.

He aced a Poli Sci class with a paper entitled
“Die, You Honkey Motherf*********”.

Really Right on August 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I want to see obama’s grades, and if he got a D in economics I will ridicule him for it. I’m not giving Perry a pass. I will vote for him only as the sole alternative to obama.

Ronnie on August 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Little Bammie’s transcripts are worthless for evaluation because he was a Double-A student, so he entered the colleges he attended, was marked and awarded degrees based on that status.

slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM

…if he was an A student he would have bragged about it in his multiple books.memoirs…it’s not like he’s known for his modesty and understated personality in his circles :-)…the thing is positive discrimination gets you in Harvard, Columbia etc, but it does not guarantee you As…but all this is in the past, who cares…as you correctly pointed out he’s an AA+ student now :-)..and that’s all that should matter :-)…

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 3:02 AM

ronsfi on August 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Oh, surely you’re not denying Perry’s gubernatorial prowess in an oil-rich state, would you now? There was another governor like that, but she’s deemed by many to be incompetent…can’t recall her name at this moment…hmmm.

Young Barry Obama had a couple of embarrassments in college:

He flunked Swahili 101.

He aced a Poli Sci class with a paper entitled
“Die, You Honkey Motherf*********”.

Really Right on August 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM

+10

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 6, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Oleta on August 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM

More likely it was in applying to Columbia as a transfer. Columbia usually requires transfers to be top-notch, yet Obama admitted he was a lackluster student at Occidental. However, there were aggressive recruiting programs for foreign students with no academic standards to meet. This may be how Frank Marshall Davis helped Obama get into Columbia, not through the standard AA, for which he would still have had to compete with others’ better undergrad records.

Obama (then known as Barry Sotero, after his stepfather) did have dual citizenship: his mother was American and married an Indonesian citizen. Children under 18 qualify as dual citizens and may claim the benefits of both.

However, once you are 18, you select one and one only. It need not be a formal declaration and usually isn’t. Any action which identifies your choice is your choice, for instance applying for an American passport would have made him a US citizen and forfeited his claim to Indonesian. But he didn’t do that, apparently.

If he used his Indonesian citizenship to obtain admission to Columbia as a transfer OR to access financial aid, that would likewise end his duality, but make him an Indonesian citizen, not American.

I don’t know if it is true or not, but surely there was no other critical reason to keep transcripts secret: Bush, Gore, and Kerry were all C students as undergrads, and Gore flunked out of Divinity School. His grades would have had to be pretty bad to make them worth hiding, and the reality is professors didn’t give out harsh grades to anyone in that period, especially a black transfer student.

Adjoran on August 6, 2011 at 3:36 AM

For a dumb hick he has one impressive record behind him. He did leave a few holes unfilled. But you can’t get everything right in politics.

I figure he’s being vetted for being POTUS not a trigonometry expert, a Shakespeare expert, or for God’s sake an organic chemist. (That latter is NOT at all an easy course.)

{^_^}

herself on August 6, 2011 at 4:46 AM

I once heard him say what sounded like “physical policy” instead of “fiscal policy”. That scared me, and as much as I like him I can’t support him for President. He’s a great politician and great for Texas but he is not Presidential. His flaws will become apparent if he were to become the nominee and will lead to an Obama win. To me the most important thing is defeating Obama.

LaurieM134 on August 6, 2011 at 6:46 AM

LaurieM134 on August 6, 2011 at 6:46 AM

So you’re “scared” of him because he has a Texas drawl?

Oh, boy. I’ve heard it all now.

Greyledge Gal on August 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM

I think a person’s college grades should be pretty far down on the list of things by which we should evaluate him/her.

When I look back at my college years, I do a fair amount of cringing. I myself wasn’t a good student, but I think my family and friends would report that I turned out pretty well.

Evaluate the person starting with today, then work backward through time, if you must.

KyMouse on August 6, 2011 at 7:59 AM

His grades did not get some AA adjustments.

bayview on August 6, 2011 at 8:15 AM

How come the libmedia couldn’t find a single Occidental College classmate of Obama to tell us what a great straight A student he was? Yet they can find an unnamed “classmate” of Perry’s downmouthing Texas A&M. I’m sure there’s a memo that the media can find in a dumpster if push comes to shove.

eaglewingz08 on August 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM

KyMouse on August 6, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I’d tend to agree with this, if we can agree to apply it evenly to both sides.

The problem is, our friends on the left have been making an issue out of this for years. First with GW Bush, (who, as we all know, outscored/outperformed both Gore and Kerry, once the facts were known,) then with Sarah Palin (who was vilified for attending more than one college, in pursuit of a degree.) Now, the party of personal destruction will try to go after Perry, while hiding Obamas grades and transcripts.

massrighty on August 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I guess we’d also get to see all those Marxist courses and how Obama Aced them, which Obama wrote about (or told to Ayers) in his published works. We’d also get to see if Obama took any classic economics courses and how he did in them.

eaglewingz08 on August 6, 2011 at 8:36 AM

So you’re “scared” of him because he has a Texas drawl?

Oh, boy. I’ve heard it all now.

Greyledge Gal on August 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Years ago, I heard a female caller on Rush say that Phil Gramm’s Texas accent made him sound too stupid to be president. Thing was, she made her claims in a cringle-inducing, nail-on-a-chalkboard NYC accent.

I’m sure the same people who complain about Perry also tell us how horrible Palin’s accent is. Personally … I think … Obama’s pauses … are absolutely … annoying. And yet … he still got … elected … president.

CJ on August 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Perry would win in a heartbeat against the President.

Theophile on August 6, 2011 at 12:29 AM

At this point a chunk of moldy cheese would win out over the current affirmative action white house occupant.

jdkchem on August 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Gov. Perry cannot be elected President. The American people will never elect a candidate with a short neck. It may not be fair or rational but that’s a fact. Check photos and portraits of past Presidents. This is well known in political consultant circles and has been polled and group tested quietly.

Mason on August 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Mark my words… Perry is the next POTUS…. and by a landslide.

ultracon on August 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM

CJ on August 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM

LOL Oh my gosh, that was so funny.

Obama’s cadence and pauses annoy me more than his “ughhh”s do. His voice is like nails on a chaulkboard to me.

Elisa on August 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Mason on August 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Never heard that one.

I heard height and Perry and Obama are the same height, I think. 6’1″

Elisa on August 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Theophile on August 6, 2011 at 12:29 AM

excellent

Elisa on August 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Adjoran on August 6, 2011 at 3:36 AM

I always thought that this might be the reason Obama sealed his records.

I think I heard that Obama’s stepfather actually formally renounced Obama’s citizenship by saying he was Indonesian.

As you said, this would not take the legal effect of actually making Obama a non-citizen until he did something after age 18 to make it so. And applying for entrance or financial aid as a foreign citizen would qualify.

Elisa on August 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Personally I think that the Huffington Post report is bs. Back in the day, it would have been impossible to be elected yell leader if all the cadets thought you were an idiot. At A&M, yell leader was not cheer leader. It was a leadership position. Also, I seriously doubt that a fellow cadet would have talked to Huffington Post. That was the kind of people we made fun of. Constantly.

MY first day at A&M:

Upper Classman: Fish ____ , Are you a hippie?

Me: Sir, no sir.

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Since Obama’s transcripts are sealed, let’s look at his biggest brain in his cabinet: Sec.of Energy Dr. Steven Chu who got his doctorate from UC Berkeley and taught at Stanford. He is a Nobel Prize winner and Grande Mufti of the Church of Global Warming. He once called for the painting of every rooftop and road surface in white to slow warming. He has issued a fatwa against the oil and gas industry on the Gulf Coast in an effort to help the Prophet Obama (Gaia bless his heart) create jobs in the “clean energy” sector.

Does anyone doubt Obama’s intelligence?

cartooner on August 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

MY first day at A&M:

Upper Classman: Fish ____ , Are you a hippie?

Me: Sir, no sir.

Texas Aggie on August 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I’m no Aggie fan, but I’ll put up an Aggie over an Ivy League grad any day. Not only are Aggies smart, they have common sense.

john1schn on August 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM

LaurieM134 on August 6, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Two things: Obama’s flaws were apparent before he was elected. Perry has flaws, to be sure, but nothing, I mean NOTHING like Duh Won’s.

George W. Bush had flaws, being somewhat of a domestic policy squish, but he was still head and shoulders above Obama (not physically either) in terms of character and passion for this nation. I can forgive mistakes. I cannot forgive malicious behavior.

john1schn on August 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I suppose somebody has already mentioned this: what were Mackdaddy’s grades in college?

davidk on August 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Heh. Just read AP’s commentary–he already mentioned it.

davidk on August 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM

ultracon on August 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM

From your keyboard to God’s ears.

Aslans Girl on August 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

If perry is the candidate the demofascists won’t be able to use this because they will have to put up barry’s grades or shut up.

peacenprosperity on August 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Liberals using a double standard? Get outta here! That nevah happens!

R. Waher on August 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I’ve just finished doing some fairly in-depth digging into Rick Perry. Lots of good, some not-so-good, but enough to make his entry into the 2012 campaign interesting. I invite youse guys to drop by and check out Perry’s positives AND negatives;

Garnet92 on August 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

massrighty on August 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Uh-huh. And one of Perry’s selling points, if not THE Perry selling point, is that he’s not icky like Palin and won’t be as damaged by the media. Nuh-uh. Stuff like this is only tossing marshmallows compared to what’s in store.

ddrintn on August 6, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Unfortunately, Stewart ate Perry up and spit him out. He looks like Reagan, but he’s not as quick on his feet nor articulate as Reagan. But I’ll reserve judgment until I read some speeches he has written. He has written some, right?

/Mr Lynn

MrLynn on August 7, 2011 at 8:46 AM

That was in reference to the links Elisa posted:

E

lisa on August 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM

MrLynn on August 7, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Eh, I would like to know why he got those grades. Could just be attendance demerits.

astonerii on August 5, 2011 at 7:36 PM

As a former student from Aggieland and a former cadet in the Corps, I can tell you exactly how Rick Perry got lousy grades until he was an upperclassman. When you are shining shoes and getting crapped out(exercising under a sophomore’s supervision, punching out a class number’s worth of pushups and situps), and just generally having a better time playing in the Corps than going to class, you don’t spend enough time studying to make great grades unless that is your upperclassmen’s thing in Life for you. Some outfits were grade outfits. Some were just “good bull” outfits (enjoying being military cadets and wearing the uniforms and having fun at beer busts, intramural sports, and military drills). Lots of folks had barely a 2.0 GPA after two years. If you survived the hazing, you decided to finish college by getting your degree and actually going to class instead of sleeping in because you had stayed up all night shining shoes to keep from getting yelled at the next day during inspection.

I graduated with a 2.67 GPA in Mechanical Engineering. Not a great GPA. Not good enough to get me into the Nuclear Navy today. But there were some lean years when the Navy took a lot of folks because there was no one else they could get. Once I was accepted I was number 8 out of 83 in my Nuke School class, and number 1 out of 20 in my prototype training. The Navy was paying me to study instead of me paying for it. So I did my job. And they got a 20+ year nuke officer out of it.

College grades matter. But they are never the whole story. Texas A&M is not the easiest nor the hardest school to finish. But the lessons learned outside the classroom, from the Corps of Cadets teach way more than anything you can learn in a classroom. And flying for the Air Force teaches way more than that.

Results count for something more than a footnote. Governor Perry may not be the smartest guy in the room. Look where those guys got us with ENRON, Wall Street, and Obambi. But steady progress, common sense, and motivated actions and statements will get you far greater consideration in this world than the pronouncements of an idiot out of touch with basic economic facts currently inhabiting the White House.

We could do far worse than Rick Perry, even by voting for a Republican like Huntsman who thinks Dhimmicrat Lite policies are still a winning solution to drastic and catastrophic events roiling in Obambi’s wake.

Subsunk

Subsunk on August 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Where are Odumbo’s grades and those of his caboose pulling wife.

rjoco1 on August 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM

flunked my first MBA program economics course.

Professor was an avowed marxist… I argued with him strenuously in class.

LegendHasIt on August 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Precisely what I was thinking about the difference in PBHO and Perry, actually and a perfect reason why a (so called) “college professor” might mark down a student that doesn’t parrot their opinions.

Vntnrse on August 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM