Hypocrisy, irony, and the New Civility

posted at 6:10 pm on August 5, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Meet Froma Harrop, syndicated columnist and head of the National Conference of Editorial Writers, a group that has a project called Restoring Civility as a featured part of its website.  Her twice-weekly column appears in more than 200 newspapers, and she also blogs at RealClearPolitics.  According to Media Matters for America, Harrop had the 14th largest circulation and ranked 20th in total reach in 2008.

If you hadn’t heard of Harrop before this, at least the WSJ’s James Taranto had.  In his Best of the Web column from Wednesday, James and his crew skewered the Restoring Civility activist for her decidedly uncivil attack on Tea Party activists:

• “Froma Harrop, a member of The [Providence] Journal’s editorial board and a syndicated columnist, has been named president of the National Conference of Editorial Writers. The NCEW is a 64-year-old professional organization. Its members include editorial writers, editors, broadcasters and online opinion writers. One of its new missions, the Civility Project, endeavors to improve the quality of political discourse.”–Providence Journal, April 15
  • “Make no mistake: The tea party Republicans have engaged in economic terrorism against the United States–threatening to blow up the economy if they don’t get what they want. And like the al-Qaida bombers, what they want is delusional: the dream of restoring some fantasy caliphate. . . . Americans are not supposed to negotiate with terrorists, but that’s what Obama has been doing. . . . That the Republican leadership couldn’t control a small group of ignoramuses in its ranks has brought disgrace on their party. But oddly, Obama’s passivity made it hard for responsible Republicans to control their destructive children. The GOP extremists would ask Obama for his firstborn, and he’d say, ‘OK.’ So they think, why not ask for his second-born, to which he responds, ‘Let’s talk.’ ”–Froma Harrop syndicated column, Aug. 2

That dig apparently annoyed Harrop, who responded on her own web site yesterday.  Her explanation is, to say the least, entirely self-serving, and she twists the definition of “civility” into knots in order to explain her double standard:

I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece. It’s not about offering strong opinions. If someone’s opinion is fact-based, then it is permissible in civil discourse.  Of course, there are matters of delicacy, and I dispensed with all sweet talk in this particular column. And I did stoop to some ad hominem remarks, I’ll admit.

However, it was a Wall Street Journal editorial that first called the tea-partiers “hobbits.” After John McCain picked up the hobbits theme in a much-quoted remark,  a subsequent editorial expanded on it[.]

Let’s start there.  The “hobbits” remark was an ad hominem, and a dumb one, as I wrote at the time.  And ad hominems are at their core uncivil.  If there was any real descriptive value at all in “hobbits” as a political label, it escaped everyone, including the writer of the editorial.

However, calling someone a “hobbit” is not the same as calling him or her a “terrorist.”  There is a specific definition of terrorism that has become all too real in the last ten years for Americans, and it doesn’t mean someone who works within the political system for policy change.  Harrop says that the ends justify the uncivil means for her, even if it doesn’t for everyone else:

Yes, I was angry, but I’m engaging in the defense of my country. I know the tea partiers say the same, but their behavior is that of a national wrecking crew.

If there is a better example of liberal hypocrisy on restoring civility, I’d like to see it.  It’s a blatant statement that Harrop wants her political opponents held to a different standard because, well, she’s angry, and besides, she’s right — in her own opinion, of course.

Harrop then quotes a completely unrelated WSJ story to rationalize that terrorism can be anything she decides it is:

The Pentagon has concluded that computer sabotage coming from another country can constitute an act of war, a finding that for the first time opens the door for the U.S. to respond using traditional military force. …

“If you shut down our power grid, maybe well put a missile down one of your smokestacks,” said a military official.

Harrop then argues:

Blowing up the U.S. economy to make a point would be an even more serious attack, in my book.  And that’s what the tea party saboteurs were threatening. They are what they are.

Does Harrop miss the point that the military was talking about actual sabotage, not policy changes and negotiation?  The Pentagon sent a warning to other nations that an attack on our virtual infrastructure would be an act of war — explicitly and literally.  The point wasn’t that rhetorical arguments are the equivalent of terrorism.  For all of her syndicated reach, Harrop seems to have trouble reading for comprehension.

But the story doesn’t end there.  By this afternoon, Harrop’s post had thirty-nine comments, all of them castigating her hypocrisy and self-serving shifting definitions of civility.  Here are a sample:

I think it’s cool that you have your own private definitions of “civility” and “incivility” that don’t have to be tied down to ordinary meanings that anyone could understand. Instead, you get to mean something no one else means by the words. And it doesn’t have to be tied down to any facts. …

So…basically the “Civility Project” is just a Newspeak term. …

I’m just wondering on what your thoughts were regarding Obama’s vote against raising the debt ceiling when he was in the Senate. Was he, too, a terrorist? …

You were rude, unfair, and lazy. You, ma’am, are a bomb thrower. Metaphorically, of course. The term, after all, isn’t confined to physical attacks. …

My God, Froma, I think you may actually be the most interesting (and mentally deranged( singe-serving friend I’ve ever met.

Spend as many hours as you wish painting your political opponents as enemies – the fact remains that your President Obama has become an even bigger failure than Jimmy Carter, and will be cast aside just as quickly, regardless of whatever ridiculous progressive utopian fantasies you’ve been dreaming of these last few years.

There were many more, but you’ll have a tough time reading them at Harrop’s blog.  After getting an avalanche of criticism, Harrop deleted all of the comments and closed the post for any future comments.

However, I happened to have opened the post on my browser just before today’s installment of TEMS and hadn’t closed the tab until HA readers Bob T and Ken M alerted me to the change — and so I saved it from my browser and uploaded to to my server, complete with the comments.

Remember Harrop’s definition of incivility?

“I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece.”

Looks like it’s pretty uncivil at Harrop’s blog today, doesn’t it?

Maybe the NCEW should rethink its leadership, or else take down its sanctimonious “Restore Civility” project.  Their leader is the person most in need of the lecture.

Addendum: Be sure to follow that link to read the comments Harrop sent down the rabbit hole.  They are remarkably … civil.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If someone’s opinion is fact-based, then it is permissible in civil discourse.

Sen Harry Reid hardest hit.

Red State State of Mind on August 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Wait- this was in the headlines earlier today and in that article, “piece” was spelled “peace” and noted by commentors. It was also noted by an astute HotAir commentor that all of the comments were negative, “100%” I think was part of the description.

And now, the article has been re-written and the comments removed.

I guess speaking your “peace” doesn’t apply to readers of her blog.

BKeyser on August 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Frooma claims:

Terrorism is not confined to physical attacks…

Inconvenient Truth:

United States Law Code – the law that governs the entire country – contains a definition of terrorism embedded in its requirement that Annual Country reports on Terrorism be submitted by the Secretary of State to Congress every year. (From U.S. Code Title 22, Ch.38, Para. 2656f(d)

(2) the term “terrorism” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents

She’s a babbling fool.

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece.

Sez the woman who deleted all the comments from her blog.

clearbluesky on August 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Maybe it would be helpful to list the other 20 or 30 left wing radicals that used the same “terrorist” phrase, like Joe Biden, Mike Doyle, Friedman, William Yeomans, Joe Nocera, etc.

She is not original, just using Dem talking points.
Someone should ask Obama to put a stop to this violent rhetoric in his party. Or is he leading from behind?

faraway on August 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece.

I see she fixed her original quote, “I see incivility as not letting other people speak their peace.” ‘Cause she’s like, a university-educated journalist and stuff.

Cicero43 on August 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Sorry for the double post, I tried to use the Preview function on the first post, and got a “Preview Error” message, so I tried posting it again.

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

right2bright on August 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Yep- just looked back- right2bright noted several of the comments at the link above.

In my view, any credibility this woman may have ever had was erased when she did the same to the comments on her blog.

BKeyser on August 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Yesterday’s news. We, the blog-spotters can keep up and require fresh material. zombie like.

betsyz on August 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.

WisCon on August 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

The Dems are training their cult members to dehumanize their opponents. This training will soften them up for instructions during the 2012 elections against those terrorists. Sadly, Froma is ready to do anything they ask.

faraway on August 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Ed, this is awesome. I read those comments you saved and they were excellent.

Red State State of Mind on August 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Liberalism is a mental disorder, and, evidently, hard on the looks department.

carbon_footprint on August 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Ms.Harrop your column is poo but I mean that in the most civil way possible and use the word “poo” encouragingly to invite you and perhaps others to say your piece. Once again, a hearty poo to you!

Mason on August 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM

In your line of work I’d take screengrabs of everything.

(Greenshot and MWSnap are both useful freeware for such tasks, btw.)

rogerb on August 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I wonder if she can blush.

a capella on August 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Using the term ‘Hobbit’ was self-destructive as the writer hadn’t bothered to think about the story involved. It destroyed any attempt for creating negative points made by putting that strong positive one in. The dismissive tone showed the writer to be a complete and utter fool.

This lady is just a plain, good old lefty hypocrite who can’t take the heat she is ever so ready to pour on others.

She is a poster child on why the left is losing readers, losing subscribers, losing viewers and losing anyone who hasn’t lost their mind.

ajacksonian on August 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM

BKeyser on August 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I blush when I am called astute…

Amazing how not only were the comments scrubbed – but are now closed.

I’ll play with the WayBack and get a screen shot of the original comments section.

Odie1941 on August 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I would take being called a hobbit a compliment. Frodo lives!

vcferlita on August 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Harrop knows as much about civility as Obama does about job creation. Einstein is right when he says. “the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limit.” Harrop proves it as she is just typical liberal bigot, nothing more, nothing less.

volsense on August 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

This doesn’t really bother me. What’s disturbing is that someone would name a child “Froma.”

Erich66 on August 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Why are we giving this Cretin face time?

WTF is a Froma Harrop?

My goodness, that’s like a Christine Crumbholz I went to school with.

Yes, Christine Crumbholz. And she was just as homely as this poor soul.

/I wonder whatever happened to her. Neh. No, I don’t, she was a b*tch.

Key West Reader on August 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Oops- Ed already did.

Odie1941 on August 5, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Of course the entire idea behind this initiative is to use it as a club against conservatives, climate skeptics, real economists, etc. It allows them to spread the common meme of the day, which is invariably an attack on liberal enemies that dare speak out.

pat on August 5, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece.

Sez the woman who deleted all the comments from her blog.

clearbluesky on August 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

LMAO

100%

Tim_CA on August 5, 2011 at 6:35 PM

“Make no mistake: The tea party Republicans have engaged in economic terrorism against the United States…

Two can play that game, Obama and his cohorts are Communists, not the more polite terms we’ve been using. And calling them out as Communists is far more truthful than calling the Tea Party terrorists.

RJL on August 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Odie1941 on August 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I knew I saw it somewhere!

I was just about to correct myself for saying she misspelled “piece” in my earlier comment, but looking at Ed’s cached version, comment 13 and comment 16 both reference her misspelling. Comment 19 calls it out directly. (There may be others, but three qualifies for me.) She obviously corrected that somewhere along the line before she decided to rabbit-hole the comments.

BKeyser on August 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece.
Sez the woman who deleted all the comments from her blog.

clearbluesky on August 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM
LMAO

100%

Tim_CA on August 5, 2011 at 6:35 PM

LMAO!

Big thumbs up!

tinkerthinker on August 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM

BLAST her with emails:

fharrop@projo.com

Opposite Day on August 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM

She is a chicken shit. No way to contact her on her “blab”

JustJP on August 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Froma Harpy has lost her mind, in print for all to see. Most people don’t see a mental breakdown of someone else in so public a way. usually they are quietly placed in a mental institution with no embarrassing fanfare. Froma has made sure the country knows there is a VIP Suite waiting for her at the Institute of Mental Health.

Niteowl45 on August 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I wonder if she can blush.

a capella on August 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM

As I noted in the Headlines thread, if you go to her blog there is a truly scary picture of her taken here in NH a couple of weeks ago by her Komrade. They were hiking up to Galehead Hut, which is a high mountain hut the Leftist Appalachian Mtn. Club runs during the summer. She’s white as a ghost.

Back in 1999, the Clinton “Administration”-and I am guessing Algore in particular-mandated that the Galehead Hut, despite being the most remote Hut in the entire 8 Hut system, would be required by Federal Law to be wheelchair-accessible. This despite the fact that Galehead is 4.6 miles one way from the nearest road, and that “easiest” trail climbs 2,200 vertical feet-mostly in the last mile before the Hut.

They spent $30,000 of our taxpayer money to make the Hut wheelchair friendly. And in the 11 years since, I can only find citations of 3 people using it, all on the same hike, which made the front page of the Leftist organ the NY Times. They were there a year after the renovations.

Of course, they all ended up having to abandon their wheelchairs on the final assault; one of them was literally crabbing backwards up the trail propelled only by his arms, while a helper supported his legs. I have a disability myself so admire their courage, but the fact that apparently no one else has even bothered to use that Leftist Boondoggle in the following 10 years speaks volumes.

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

What’s disturbing is that someone would name a child “Froma.”

Erich66 on August 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Being named Froma Harrop definitely will leave emotional scars. I doubt that she ever was Miss Rhode Island either and you only have about six competitors for Miss Rhode Island.

bw222 on August 5, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Froma Harrop is one of those columnists my local paper carries.

Never read it, just the same tired old lefty tribe evry time. However, after reading this post I will contact the editior of the paper (good friend of mine) and suggest they drop her.

Norwegian on August 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM

that’s funny, I am glad someone screen capped her comments page. I hope some of them were well written so she can’t go to her fellow smugs and smug about how bad conservatives are because, you know, we just weren’t up to her standards.

joeindc44 on August 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I have an entirely different question:

Make no mistake: The tea party Republicans have engaged in economic terrorism against the United States–threatening to blow up the economy if they don’t get what they want. And like the al-Qaida bombers, what they want is delusional: the dream of restoring some fantasy caliphate…

By using this language, i.e., “terrorism”, “blow up”, “Al-Qaida bombers”, and “caliphate”, is Ms.Harrop admitting that most of the terrorism in the world today is committed by militant Muslims? It would seem so, given the facts, and this seems to be the kind of thing “progressives” have heretofore ignored or denied.

RebeccaH on August 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Lady looks like a horse that got beaten with the ugly stick.

Fact.

Aquateen Hungerforce on August 5, 2011 at 6:50 PM

If someone’s opinion is fact-based, then it is permissible in civil discourse.

Translation:
If you agree with me and my Marxist philosophy, then and only then are you deemed civil and granted your “free speech” rights.

DeathB4Tyranny on August 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM

“Fact based?” To her, then, the idea of Republicans engaging in attacks predetermined to instill as much terror and fear as possible is “fact-based”; the idea of conservatives strapping on suicide vests and blowing themselves up in showers of nails, glass and blood is “fact-based”; and the idea of Congressional pages destroying skyscrapers with planes is “fact-based?”

Terrorism is not defined by an ideology, but by methods. That this subhuman could hinge her entire definition of civility on something so arbitrary as what she considers to be fact and THEN so much as declare that what she does not consider to be fact is unworthy of being voiced, disgusts me beyond words.

I’m already in a bad mood today, but Ms. Harrop makes me long for the return of shock therapy.

Ryan Anthony on August 5, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Were the Founding Fathers Terrorists because they took the colonies – from a relative state of peace and tranquility …

And plunged those same colonies into EIGHT YEARS of WAR, FAMINE, REFUGEES, and a BROKEN ECONOMY?

Please – this woman is delusional.

If we are terrorists – then she’s a terrorist for advocating the bankruptcy of untold American generations.

What a twid.

HondaV65 on August 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Ever notice how the media never covers the media and leftist harpies like Froma never want to debate their opponents in an open forum?

bw222 on August 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Nice work saving those comments, Ed. You definitely earn your keep around here. There are bloggers, there are good bloggers, and there’s Ed Morrissey.

backwoods conservative on August 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Froma Hypocrite is more like it.

GarandFan on August 5, 2011 at 7:03 PM

She’s a little long in the tooth, and that’s a fact. I’m sure she terrorizes her dentist and her mirror.

This is very civil as it’s a definite fact.

SouthernGent on August 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Below that picture she has a link to her Komrade’s blog, where he sniffily describes the Galehead Hut thusly:

Then there are the glories of the Appalachian Mountain Club’s hut system, which are remarkably comfortable and provide superb views while you’re sipping your wine — rather European. Some offer hot food, and just about everyone there, however sweaty or cold from their hikes to get to the huts, is pleasant and intelligent. Some folks actually read books at night in the huts.

This guy’s as out of touch with reality as Frooma is.

First of all, only cheese-eating surrender monkeys like these dweebs will backpack wine a minimum of 4.6 miles and 2,200 vertical feet just to “sip it” that evening. Any intelligent person knows that a bottle of wine weighs about 2 pounds and takes up a large amount of pack space. On the other hand, you can get a tremendous amount of vodka, tequila, rum, etc. up the same mountain with much less weight.

All 8 of the AMC Huts offer 2 hot meals a day for guests, breakfast and dinner. $110 a night.

And the only way one can “read books at night” at Galehead is with a flashlight or headlamp under the covers. Just like when you were a little kid!

This guy, like Frooma, never Grew Up.

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM

As The Blackadder would have put it, “Al Queda and the Tea Party are stalking the Republic like two great Stalking Things.” Froma can dig that.

Hucklebuck on August 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM

What do you expect from University Educated journalism majors. They tend to be in the lowest quartile of IQ. Then the propaganda for 4 years insures they get out of college knowing less than when they went in.

chemman on August 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Is she British? I mean, based on her teeth she appears to be.

Hucklebuck on August 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM

La

dy looks like a horse that got beaten with the ugly stick.

Fact.

Aquateen Hungerforce on August 5, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The liberal movement has not exactly been blessed with a cadre of beautiful woman: Hillary, Debbie Whatshername Schultz, Debbie Stabenow, Barbara Boxer, Patty Murray, Helen Thomas, Rose DiLauro, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elana Kagan, Janet Napolitano, Froma. I could go on but I am starting to become ill.

Other than being liberals, what do all those women have in common?

bw222 on August 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Ed,

I e-mailed the NCEW at about 11 a.m. EDT (h/t Ace). About half an hour later, I received an autoreply:

Thank you for your message. We will respond as soon as possible.

I’m still waiting.

either orr on August 5, 2011 at 7:12 PM

“God didn’t love her enough to make her pretty”

From Weasel Zippers

Key West Reader on August 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM

If there is a better example of liberal hypocrisy on restoring civility, I’d like to see it. It’s a blatant statement that Harrop wants her political opponents held to a different standard because, well, she’s angry, and besides, she’s right — in her own opinion, of course.

Not one liberal I’ve debated and that includes quite a few very intelligent, very educated and those very high up the political ladder, has ever been right.

Plain calm logical Constitutional Conservationism has always eventually sent them away, some angry as hell, some obviously muttering to themselves and some who finally couldn’t respond even online coherently.

They’re all wrong and they’re all lying, because when you lie to yourself, you’re lying to everybody.

Speakup on August 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM

The last comment from Susan is precious:

To all of you who have posted long arguments explaining why this person is uncivil and downright wrong: I admire your tenacity. However, you must surely be aware by now that she is utterly incapable of processing your information. She is so certain of her own righteousness that to even admit the possibility that her “enemies” might be acting in good faith, much less might be correctly acting in good faith with regard to the debt, would cause her entire worldview to come crashing down.

After which our intrepid Ms. Harrop closed comments & deleted those already left.

Fortunately, we have it on good authority that Ms. Harrop believes strongly in letting everyone speak their piece.

(yes, that’s sarcastic)

BD57 on August 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM

BLAST her with emails:

fharrop@projo.com

Opposite Day on August 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM

So I have this friend in Ireland who has unlimited bandwidth and a T-3 with proxy servers….

Odie1941 on August 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM

A rare and revealing peek behind the curtain of what drives the day-to-day media bias. News editors/TV producers, upward-failers, the hack middle managers of the media biz. They assign the stories, compose the pages, deciding newsworthiness on both ends and in the middle (after taking a lead from the big players they all hope to work for someday.) They are the lefty echo chamber in microcosm. As venal, crass, self-regarding and blessedly talent-free a class of people as you’ll ever come across.

curved space on August 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I heard on the radio today that Italy is going to get a balanced budget amendment. Terrorists!!!

It’s actually a good idea for the left to call us terrorists, racists, and so forth, because as long as we are on the defensive, we can’t do what is needed to destroy them. At some point we have got to learn that the time for debate is long over with. The domestic enemy is far less reasonable than Hitler and Hirohito, and we know what trying to reason with those people bought us.

Buddahpundit on August 5, 2011 at 7:32 PM

V the K Says:
August 4th, 2011 at 5:38 pm
So, I guess this means that if we balance the budget, the terrorists win.

My favorite comment

disa on August 5, 2011 at 7:45 PM

This gets sadder and more alarming every day.

I’d ask where she went to school, but it doesn’t matter.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) reports that 2/3 of American colleges and universities have unconstitional speech codes. Free speech is neither taught nor respected in our educational system. The NY Times ran a major essay on free speech in its magazine section five years asserting that the First Amendement was an awkward relic in the new global age and an impediment to international comity. The progressive tribune of America feels that the First Amendment is inconvenient and disposable. That’s a basic cultural crisis.

This woman’s screed, and Kerry’s comments earlier — are both the predictably psychotic reactions of a Left utterly terrified at the phenomenon of the tea party and in fact any form of citizen activism that threatens its big government dominion. But it is also the default, proto-totalitarian position of most democrats today. In a sense, America is already lost. The fight is no longer simply about “restoring fiscal sanity,” it’s about saving basic American and western values of freedom.

rrpjr on August 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM

click over to the post Ace of Spades HQ did on this yesterday just for the caption on Froma’s picture

phreshone on August 5, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Some of the best posts I have read is in response to her foolish writings.

So deliberately sabotaging our economy through Obamacare, a useless moratorium on oil drilling, refusing to open ANWR, etc., aren’t acts of terrorism?

It is impossible to put a nickle in the vending machine and expect a $1.00 worth of candy. The simple fact is that our nations is bankrupt.

Do you really think the “well, your guys did it first” (WSJ) is an adult argument to make? Do you think your rhetoric advances the discussion?

Please explain to me why a Wall Street Journal editorial calling Tea Partiers “Hobbits” in any way qualifies as a defense of your editorial in which you called people with whom you have a political disagreement “al Qaida bombers,” “terrorists,” “extremists,” and “ignoramuses?”

“Most may be nice people who don’t know what they’re doing, but many a country has foundered on the passions of nice people.”

Funny. I say the same thing about liberals. There hearts are in the right place. I wish their heads would join them.

Not that I expect you to respond to this. The great thing about being a liberal is you’re often wrong but never unsure.

You madam are incredible. You go to the extent of comparing elected officials of the people to terrorist and bombers. I will ignore the ignoramus comment as that is just silly.

So many good ones…but this one is short and too the point.

So, I guess this means that if we balance the budget, the terrorists win.

And “susan” sums it up, her last sentence:

I do love reading these comments, though, and they might be persuasive to those who are not as deeply into the cult of government as this poor soul. In the end, you can really only pity her.

To repost what I had copied from her blog…everyone of them were negative, but not only negative, but took her to the woodshed. Some of the most clever and accurate posts, almost “uncivil”…

right2bright on August 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM

fharrop@projo.com

Moose Dung on August 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM

BLAST her with emails:

fharrop@projo.com

Opposite Day on August 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Did that, over my full name, and the town I live in.

Felt good.

massrighty on August 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM

right2bright on August 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM

That one was mine.

either orr on August 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM

LOL, someone got to her wiki page. interesting photo.

Buddahpundit on August 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I noted elsewhere that Froma must be unfamiliar with the noun “irony”, and thinks it is just an adjective, similar to “silvery” or “coppery”, but rust-colored!

Picked up on that “say their peace” too. Another favorite of mine is “tow the line” instead of the proper (but hackneyed) “toe the line”. I see that one all the time in blog comments, but it’s no big deal when written by ordinary folks. From an “elite professional” like Froma who no doubt regards herself as our better, it is pretty sloppy.

drunyan8315 on August 5, 2011 at 8:13 PM

From Froma’s feedback before she uncivily deleted all the feedback and shut it down, I like this one:

15. V the K Says:
August 4th, 2011 at 5:38 pm
So, I guess this means that if we balance the budget, the terrorists win.

RJL on August 5, 2011 at 8:14 PM

LOL, someone got to her wiki page. interesting photo.

Buddahpundit on August 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM

:-) wonder how long it will stay there :-)…

jimver on August 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Buddahpundit on August 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM

jimver on August 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Precious. Screenshots everyone! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froma_Harrop

slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM

:-) wonder how long it will stay there :-)…

jimver on August 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Since we know conservatives don’t have access to wiki, it’s a pretty safe bet that Froma put that photo up herself, so it might be there awhile. Maybe she wants sympathy.

Buddahpundit on August 5, 2011 at 8:25 PM

bw222 on August 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM

They are just plain nasty pure and simple. They throw a shit bomb and never stick around to back it up. Note the 39 comments while sarcastic were not hateful or threatening. They commented on what she wrote and her hypocrisy. Yet she won’t respond.

arnold ziffel on August 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Precious. Screenshots everyone! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froma_Harrop
slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Wow! Does she really look that good?

arnold ziffel on August 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I don’t care what Marv Albert says about me, but maybe he should just stick to basketball anyway.

forest on August 5, 2011 at 8:30 PM

She comes across like a rat in a cage… feeling justified while chewing on it’s own tail. May her circles get smaller and tighter until she bites her freakin a** off.

RalphyBoy on August 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Buddahpundit on August 5, 2011 at 8:25 PM

you might be right after all…they would have taken it down by now…it’s impossible that with all the controversy no lib vigilante noticed it…expect ‘media matters’ to pick up on the ‘incivility’ of this tomorrow :-)…

jimver on August 5, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Maybe the NCEW should rethink its leadership, or else take down its sanctimonious “Restore Civility” project. Their leader is the person most in need of the lecture.

Putting Froma Harrop on the “Restoring Civility” project is
kind of like when the UN put Quadaffi et al on the UN Human Rights Commission….

landlines on August 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Great little piece over at the NCEW about how some conservative politicians aren’t willing to sit down with the Civility Police to discuss there views:

At the NCEW’s 2010 convention in Dallas. Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who is now said to be considering a run for president, spoke to members of the NCEW, but refused to take part in the traditional Q&A session following his remarks. Perry’s reason for skipping out on question time was that he had a tight schedule. However, after leaving the stage the governor spent a lengthy session chatting with friends in the meeting room and then carrying on an extended TV interview just outside its doors.

Then-NCEW president Tom Waseleski wrote Perry afterwards, calling the snub “an affront to any notion of civil discourse, such as the kind you have called for on other occasions.”

Heh! Perhaps if the NCEW didn’t consider him a terrorist, he might be willing to chat.

Congressman attributes editorial board’s “world view” as reason for not visiting

Moose Dung on August 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM

The Marxists sure are working overtime and anxious to try to make the whole terrorist thing stick to the Tea Party. The word has gone out…Saul Alinsky all the way on this one…pure evil incarnate. It tells me they are getting very desperate as they watch their hopes of nirvana slip beneath the waves.

Of course it’s utterly ridiculous and it just further exposes them for who they are. It will convince no one.

starman on August 5, 2011 at 9:31 PM

This was my favorite reply….

The great thing about being a liberal is you’re often wrong but never unsure.

Cindy Munford on August 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM

They sure can’t pick spokespeople worth a hoot. That bucktoothed bimbo could improve her looks by putting a paper bag over her head. She looks like a female, dressed-up version of Alfred E. Neumann.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 5, 2011 at 9:39 PM

very slick move Ed. well done man

maineconservative on August 6, 2011 at 1:26 AM

did you notice that the wiki pages have the following categories under ‘page ratings’: trustworthy, objective, complete and well-written. are you kidding me??? what if it’s none of the above, where can I go and rate ‘biased’, subjective, etc…oh, I forgot wiki is organized as a mini leftist dictatorship…

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 3:29 AM

Aww, the little darling deleted her comments.

How…

I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece.

You know, leftist/Marxist JournoListers. If you show your blatant hypocrisy not once, but twice within one column, you really will start selling more newspapers.

Really.

Hear me on Boston NPR

I guess when you’ve lost everyone else, NPR retards will still be there lapping up everything you say.

MNHawk on August 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Putting Froma Harrop on the “Restoring Civility” project is
kind of like when the UN put Quadaffi et al on the UN Human Rights Commission….

landlines on August 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Or…

Ted Kennedy as AA spokesman.
Octomom in charge of Planned Parenthood
Amy Winehouse for Partnership for a Drug-Free America

massrighty on August 6, 2011 at 7:31 AM

From the comments:

So, I guess this means that if we balance the budget, the terrorists win.

Too good!!

Pablo Snooze on August 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM

O.M.G. Look at her picture. O.M.G.

moochy on August 6, 2011 at 10:36 AM

She’s a babbling fool.

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

You are far too kind to her.

SKYFOX on August 6, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Precious. Screenshots everyone! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froma_Harrop

slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM

The stuff of nightmares.

SKYFOX on August 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM

She must think abortions are elegant and civil deeds of kindness.

seven on August 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I don’t know what could be more insane? Harrop accusing the Tea Party as being economic terrorists or Kerry asking the manistream media to censor the Tea Party when the Tea Party are the only sane people trying to stop the insanity. Liberalism is truly a mental disorder. The Boehner Plan was really the Boner Plan.

volsense on August 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Those comments were GREAT!!! I can see why she took em’ down.

Must have put a mighty dent in her tin foil hat.

BigWyo on August 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM

This is about the best summation of the Tea Party that I’ve ever read.
From the comments: click

billy on August 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM

She appears to be suffering a case of the googly eye.
Just a little squiggy around the iris. Not so much that it stands out. She can fake “normal” enough to get through office parties, but she’ll never pass a detailed examination.

Insane in the membrane (Insane in the brain!)
Insane in the membrane (in-sane in the Brain!)
Insane in the membrane (crazy insane, got no brain!)

papertiger on August 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM

She is Sybil, not civil.

AshleyTKing on August 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM

You see, the term Nazi got old, stale and outdated. So did racist. The new progressive buzz word is terrorist. That’ll go away when the next big term comes along. And dont pay much attention to Froma. She gets hysterical from time to time.

abcurtis on August 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM

To Progressives hypocrisy by your own side is irrelevant – just as Alinsky said.

So, while it’s a good idea to point out their hypocrisy to non-progressives, don’t expect it to influence their behavior.

rspock on August 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM