Finally, good news from Washington: Sounds like Obama’s birthday party was awesome

posted at 4:10 pm on August 5, 2011 by Allahpundit

I was worried that yesterday’s stock-market crash might spoil the mood, but no, turns out everyone had a rockin’ good time. Whew. Let this thought comfort you if you’re on your 40th week of unemployment: At least Tom Hanks is still enjoying himself.

Obama should have invited George Bush, if only to make today’s headline easy for the media: “BUSH PARTIES WHILE ECONOMY BURNS”.

President Obama and his A-list pals danced barefoot in the East Room on Thursday night, after dining in the dramatically lit Rose Garden to celebrate his milestone 50th birthday. Obama Foodorama was told by guests who attended the “fabulous” but “casual” five-hour barbecue for more than 200 people that the President “let down his hair” and literally danced for hours, finally leaving his own party shortly before midnight.

Stevie Wonder gave a “surprise” performance during the celebration after dining with the President and First Lady Obama, leading the crowd in a soulful rendition of “Happy Birthday.” Wonder’s hit “You and I” was the President and Mrs. Obama’s wedding song. Guests included Jay Z; Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson; Chris Rock; hoops legends Charles Barkley and Grant Hill; Whoopi Goldberg; Dallas Cowboys Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith; Steve Harvey; and actor Hill Harper. He’s one of the President’s closest chums from Harvard law school, and star of CSI: NY. Jazz great Herbie Hancock and his ensemble played four songs; R & B singer Ledisi dazzled the crowd with two selections…

That’s when everyone’s shoes came off, and things kicked into high gear with the barefoot jammin’–the President himself reportedly danced for three full hour[s]. Among other dances, guests did the Electric Slide…

The President also led a huge Conga line around the East Room, pulling in everyone in his path, according to one observer.

Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Hillary were also there but I’m going to assume they weren’t part of the conga because (a) the thought is aesthetically terrifying and (b) the reality of the entire Democratic leadership cuttin’ loose amid economic disaster and getting a free pass from the media gives me the shakes. Alternate-reality headline: “BUSH CONGAS WHILE DOW DOES THE LIMBO.” All I’ll say in defense of what ended up being Obama’s fifth birthday event this week is that, if any private citizen had had a run as bad as his has been this year, they’d need whiskey and horse tranquilizers to dull the pain. Living 24/7 under the microscope, The One’s stuck with conga lines and Tom Hanks instead. I almost feel bad for him.

Ah well. Now that the debt deal’s done, he can go back to doing the one thing he’s really good at. I’ll leave you with this new set of economic projections for next year from Goldman Sachs via James Pethokoukis. Did I say horse tranquilizers? I meant elephant tranquilizers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wow. That’s some hardcore snark there. I have to vacation where you vacation!

*gives we’re not worthy bow*

kim roy on August 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Is it just me, or does such an ostentatious display, even at one’s birthday, display a certain lack of… what?… taste?… grace?… decorum?

Or is it just me?

JohnGalt23 on August 5, 2011 at 4:16 PM

kim roy on August 5, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I wish the President great health and a landslide retirement next year.

rickyricardo on August 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Thanks for reminding me that Obama will get ~$200.000 a year for the rest of his life.

Heck of a retirement if you can get it.

BierManVA on August 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM

BUSH RAISES THE ROOF WHILE ECONOMY SINKS TO THE BASEMENT

atxcowgirl on August 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I wish the President great health and a landslide retirement next year.

rickyricardo on August 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM

classy :-)…

jimver on August 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM

This whole thing is a huge joke. People are suffering, are out of work and are kept in a confusing state of uncertainty by a do nothing, inept government. . In the meantime, Obama is partying, playing and enjoying all the perks provided by those same people. How long will the people of this poor sick Republic continue to take this abuse before they simply erupt?

rplat on August 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

He will NOT be re-elected.

Key West Reader on August 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM

his figures don’t look as bad as you’d expect after this failed ‘Armageddon’…a lot of dupes out there…

jimver on August 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I feel like he has just flipped us the bird–big time. What an incredible idiot we have in the WH The more I think about this, the angrier I become. How dare he party while so many are hurting?

herm2416 on August 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Is media outlet sharing the amount of money raised on Wednesday night? I haven’t seen anything

herm2416 on August 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM

What a clueless, classless, self-absorbed pr!ck.

Making Nero look relatively sane is not a good thing, JJ.

hillbillyjim on August 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Later, Obama continued partying down with family and friends, including some of his buds from Chicago, in the Rose Garden.

Moochelle decided to poke fun at her hubby, composing a campaign email with the subject line “Gray Hairs” that she “asked” supporters to sign electronically for the president. According to Moocheelle, there is a reason for Scooter’s salt-and-pepper hair.

I see Barack make choices he knows will affect every American family. That’s no small task for anyone – and more proof that he’s earning every last one of those gray hairs.

Uh huh.

kingsjester on August 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Heck of a retirement if you can get it.

BierManVA on August 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM

This is not over yet. Don’t faint when you hear what some of the Freshmen have in store. No lifetime pensions, halve the salaries, and they all get Obamacare.

It’s going to be …. interesting. But certainly debate worthy.

Key West Reader on August 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Does James know he’ll have to revise Q3 down again and reflow his projections come October? It’d be worth watching for, if nothing else for the unexpected slippage. Meh.

AH_C on August 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Uh huh.

kingsjester on August 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Love your blog.

You know, this brings back so many memories. As a kid in NYC I grew up on welfare, living in gubmint housing, going with mom to the welfare office every month to get food coupons. Wearing ragged out shoes vs. the middle class who had soles on their shoes.

2012 is going to be about this: Who do you want to be?

Rubio is saying it and I’m so proud of him. He came from squalor and prospered; lived the American dream. So did I, and I am born in America.

I’ll never forget the taunts and slurs about being on welfare as a kid. I’ll also never forget the fact that in America, you can be whatever you wish and whatever you want. That, to me, is pure Freedom and Beauty.

Key West Reader on August 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Key West Reader on August 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Well said, ma’am. Thank you.

kingsjester on August 5, 2011 at 6:38 PM

It’s good to be the King!

GarandFan on August 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Heck of a retirement if you can get it.

BierManVA on August 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM

If anyone in government or media chooses to really investigate the “Fast and Furious” debacle — see Ace’s blog tonight for a solid rundown — Osama Obama won’t be getting that $200K welfare check forever. Instead, he’ll be doing some heavy orange-jumpsuit time.

I hope AP or Ed start doing some looking into this. It appears to be treason and international lawbreaking on a monumental scale from our President Historic First© and his little buddy Holder.

MrScribbler on August 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Is this clown fiddling while Rome is burning or what? A freaking conga line? My gosh, what would the media do if GW had done that on his birthday?

This nonsense has got to stop. People have to wake up to the total cluelessness of this administration and demand action. Maybe all the people down at the unemployment line can conga line their way to a better job.

JSobon on August 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Look on the bright side of the economic projections.

The real GDP growth does not go negative.

Unemployment will still be 9.3% on election day.

If we could just figure out who will be the Republican nominee (not Romney).

slp on August 5, 2011 at 8:53 PM

herm2416 on August 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Well, at least Moochelle isn’t taking a taxpayer-funded jet to Spain this year. Or is she??

chai on August 5, 2011 at 9:07 PM

chai on August 5, 2011 at 9:07 PM

staycation, camp david…then bus to midwest…they help create jobs here this year…

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 2:19 AM

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 2:19 AM

You jest, of course. Create jobs? Fat chance….

chai on August 6, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Birthday? Older but not wiser. He’s like a well-aged bottle of wine made from contaminated grapes. Looks good, good rich color, nice label and all that, but if you drink it, you had better call 911 immediately -you’ll need it.

Don L on August 6, 2011 at 8:00 AM

You jest, of course. Create jobs? Fat chance….

chai on August 6, 2011 at 7:18 AM

of course :-)

he wouldn’t know the difference between creating and saving jobs to begin with :-)…

jimver on August 6, 2011 at 8:20 AM

The most kind thing we could say about Zero after the partying, is that he is out of touch. The reality is that he has toured areas of blight and seen people out of work, seen the stock market go down with savings lost, held bond interest down, regulated businesses out of business, prevented energy production and generally wrecked the economy of the greatest country on earth. He’s not out of touch, he doesn’t care and he never will.

Kissmygrits on August 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM

The Obamas are just another family living in public housing. They don’t give a damn about anything just as long as they get what’s coming to them.

And do I ever hope they get what’s coming to them…

Mr. Grump on August 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Typical liberal oblivious to the maelstrom he created…

Khun Joe on August 7, 2011 at 5:49 AM

You Tea Bag Downgrading Terrorists are just mad because you weren’t invited to Mr Popular’s super awesome party of the century. Just sit there with your fat ugly wives and remember this is all Bush’s Fault, I mean the Republican’s fault, I mean the eval Tea Bagging Terrorits fault, yeah that’s the ticket! Oh yeah, NO BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR YOU!

Signed,