Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”

posted at 4:48 pm on August 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Jay Carney helpfully provides GOP with new campaign slogan.”

Carney listed legislative priorities the president believes will create jobs, including an infrastructure bank, the passage of free trade agreements, and tax cuts. But he would not say what was being done to further those goals while Congress takes a month-long vacation.

“The White House doesn’t create jobs,” Carney said, adding “the government, together — White House, Congress — creates policies that allow for greater job creation.”

Asked whether the White House could do more, Carney said “there is no silver bullet” to creating jobs — but he didn’t answer the question.

I don’t remember Gibbs being quite so eager to share credit with Congress when unemployment was ticking ever so slowly downward, which the White House naturally attributed to jobs “created or saved” by the stimulus. I do remember Obama telling Matt Lauer shortly after the stimulus passed that if he hadn’t turned the economy around in three years, he’d be a one-term president. How come he didn’t tell us at the time that “the White House doesn’t create jobs”? Ah well. Now that it’s all but certain the economy won’t rebound in time to hand O an easy win next year, consider this a sneak preview of their new two-pronged campaign message. Prong one: Republicans are, if not terrorists, close enough to terrorists that they can’t be trusted to govern. And prong two: Responsibility for our ruined economy is much more complicated than you think, average voter!

Here’s Tapper grilling Carney about what Obama’s doing right now, today, to get some sort of new economic package going in Congress to address the urgent threat of a double dip. You want to know what he’s doing today, Jake? He’s having a cookout. Seriously. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

OK…let’s look at our goal checklist for our hostage-taking, racist campaign of terror….get a statist d’bag president to admit the white house doesn’t create jobs. CHECK.
Now onto the rest…

government is wasteful;

abortion is morally wrong and should not be federally funded;

unions are outdated and dictatorial;

we spend too much money;

Due to the insidious nature of all the hidden taxes and fees in our daily lives, we conclude that on second thought Americans pay more than their fair share;

After reflection, I find the vile rhetoric of our party equally repugnant to that from the right and furthermore we find triple the amount from our side;

We acknowledge that conservatives love America more than we do;

Suing our own states for simply affirming federal law which we ignorantly choose not to enforce is patenty silly and we apologize for this;

After reflecting with our laser like focus on the econommy, we admit the real problem is not the debt floor, but the debt itself;

I love it when a plan comes together. Feel free to add to our checklist.

Huckabye-Romney on August 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Why are you there?

I’ll answer it for you – because you are a low level dolt who has zero skills, therefore are at the mercy of “others”

Odie1941 on August 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Keep on with that attitude. The Independents will be listening and watching.

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM

O.J. is looking for the killer…Obama is looking for jobs…

right2bright on August 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Keep on with that attitude. The Independents will be listening and watching.
fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Ah, yes…those vaunted and deep thinking “independents” who brought us this horror show in the first place.

Huckabye-Romney on August 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM

What if the productive class listened to little Bammie when he said “at some point, you have made enough money”, and decided to postpone that factory expansion, delay that new product introduction, or give up expansion of the sales force?

Instead they are taking it easy, spending more time with the family, reading a good book, and getting by on less income.

slickwillie2001 on August 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Wow. That was delicious and refreshing! A reporter who asks the tough questions and refuses to be served a can of empty rhetoric as a response. He’ll get his walking papers tomorrow. /

scalleywag on August 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Huckabye-Romney on August 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Don’t change a thing. I’m sure the results will be different this time.

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Tapper to be met by two IRS agents in 5…4….3….

angryed on August 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

According to Obama, Americans “want us to get this economy growing and adding jobs”.

Gee, Scooter…ya think?

Y’know, I had a Frampton Comes Alive album that used to repeat itself like that…

kingsjester on August 4, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Just what policies are those? pathetic..

CW on August 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM

(fastestslug) on August 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Is that what they you at work? Because where I worked a “slug” was something you didn’t aspire to be.

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM

From Ace:

Joe Biden, April 23, 2010:

“All in all we’re going to be creating somewhere between 100[,000] and 200,000 jobs next month, I predict,” Biden said, according to a pool report, adding that he “got in trouble” for a job growth prediction last month. “Even some in the White House said, ‘Hey, don’t get ahead of yourself.’ Well, I’m here to tell you, some time in the next couple of months, we’re going to be creating between 250,000 jobs a month and 500,000 jobs a month.”

Jay Carney, August 3, 2011:

catmman on August 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Why are you there?

Odie1941 on August 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM
Keep on with that attitude. The Independents will be listening and watching.

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I dont know what I care less about – dolts like you or “Independants”.

But you sound young and a bit dumb – dont worry – you can make a better life for yourself.

Its called “trying”

Odie1941 on August 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM

My point, exactly. If they cannot see with their own eyes that this guy is a disaster or Carter-epic proportions…they will continue to take their marching orders from Stewart, Colbert, and the rest of the MFM. I work in an academic setting…believe me their main interest is voting for the cool guy or making history. The first black president blather (a lie, by the way – Clinton was the first…their words, not mine) combined with Obama’s rhetorical skill and a compliant/negligent media will ensure this. I hope not, bit I fear it to be true.

Huckabye-Romney on August 4, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Th private sector isn’t going to create jobs either. There is no scenario that would ever make that happen again. There is no way you’re going to convince corps to hire Americans. The high profits are in NOT hiring Americans. You think they’ll do it to be patriotic? Not happening. No solution.

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Good plan, but the company I work for already tried that.

They can get 3 India Programmers for the cost of 1 “me” (averaging the 30 Indian programmers and our current US staff).

We ran the performance numbers, and after 6 months this was the results…

The India programmers produce 15-20% of the output with 120-150% of the bugs that a local programmer does…

I’m sure as soon as the accountants do the math they’ll hire Indians to replace our whole department. Look at all the profits they stand to make.

gekkobear on August 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM

kingsjester on August 4, 2011 at 6:32 PM

LOL, did you know Frampton lost all his hair? He shaves his head now. I must admit he was actually pretty good when I saw him as a member of Ringo’s All Starr Band in the late 1990s. Jack Bruce was in the same lineup and the two of them did great work on the old Cream songs!

Strangely enough he’s been on tour all summer to celebrate the 35th anniversary of that album. He played at our local venue but couldn’t even sell the place out.

Del Dolemonte on August 4, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Can’t a man just sit here and eat his waffle?

NickelAndDime on August 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Keep on with that attitude. The Independents will be listening and watching.

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Funny I remember hearing that kind of thing before the 2010 elections..

What is that supposed to mean anyways?

Are we supposed to believe that the freakout on the left and all the vitriol is going to make believe we’re all Terrorist- Hobbits or something?

Who sound reasonable in this debate and who sounds like they are going insane?

Who has solutions that are tried and true and have worked in the past and who has ideas that have Repeatedly failed?

Chip on August 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 4, 2011 at 6:43 PM

He was on Fox and Friends last summer,balding, with short blonde hair.

kingsjester on August 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

We knew this was going to take time because we’ve got this big, messy, tough democracy,” President Obama said at a campaign fundraiser in Chicago

If only I could get rid of it and get on with a benevolent hooey-changer dictatorship! Sounds like even he doesn’t buy his own BS anymore.

Huckabye-Romney on August 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I’ll be creating 2 new jobs in 2012.

faraway on August 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Hooey-changer = hopey changey.
Stoopid iPhone.

Huckabye-Romney on August 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM

“These Republican extremists with these EXTREME BUDGET CUTS want to close down schools, gut Medicare, destroy Social Security and force back alley abortions for the poor.”

The GOP Leaders just repeat this below like Zombies over and over and over again.

“WE CAN’T AFFORD IT”
“WE CAN’T AFFORD IT”
“WE CAN’T AFFORD IT”
“WE CAN’T AFFORD IT”

SoundByte Americans
(Indies) can ALL understand those 4 little words. Pretty soon, if repeated often enough people will finally get it. It’s the same tried and true method that the left has used on Conservatives and the GOP for freaking decades……….AND IT HAS WORKED.

Use their own tools, to destroy their ideology

PappyD61 on August 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Hooey-changer = hopey changey.
Stoopid iPhone.

Huckabye-Romney on August 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Works the other way too. LOL

ElectricPhase on August 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Man, that’s painful to watch. I feel sorry for anyone unemployed who didn’t vote for the Left’s messiah. Things are tough and are going to get tougher until we throw the socialists out of power.

BillCarson on August 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Y’all missed the money shot. Tapper got Jay Carney to admit that the tax credit put money in people’s pockets, and that spending that money creates jobs. The Obama administration just laid out the rationale for why tax cuts work.

Nice job, Tapper! Please sir, can I have some more?

RationalIcthus on August 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

an infrastructure bank = union boondoggle

free trade agreements = not passed because Dems are trying to create a union boondoggle.

BuckeyeSam on August 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

The White House can’t create jobs, but they CAN CREATE BARBEQUES!

I feel so warm and snuggly.

/nom nom nom

Key West Reader on August 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

an infrastructure bank = union boondoggle

BuckeyeSam on August 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

That is nothing more than a de facto takeover of the banking system.

Key West Reader on August 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”

Big mouth in the WH works extra hard at destroying them.

Blake on August 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: So does the pResident actually do anything which might be useful to ordinary American Citizens to earn his salary????

landlines on August 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I wonder at what point his staff is going to tire of making excuses for Mr. President’s incompetence. Especially when covering for him ends up making themselves look incompetent.

scalleywag on August 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Yeah, yeah yeah. The medium sized company I work for hires mostly part time to make their profit. I’m sure something will change that and make then want to make a little less profit to be patriots. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Slug, the only companies I know that hire part-time staff to hold down costs are low-level jobs. I’ve got a solid technical skillset as a software consultant, and I invested literally years into my education. Three things:

1) I only hire the best, and I hire them full time. I’ve got two open head count right now and am looking for more.

2) I got to where I am because I worked hard. I had the part-time, go nowhere jobs in my younger years. I shut my mouth, worked hard, and pretty soon I was the manager. It’s the way it works. Workers win. Whiners? Well, they kinda stay where they are.

3) I work for a large corporation, and we prefer to hire American workers. They are better educated & do higher-quality work, plain & simple.

So that’s that. I get where you are, been there, done that. Time to tighten the belt, get to work on your education, get the right skills, and improve your lot in life.

The alternative is to keep looking to a politician (R or D) to fix it for you, and stay disappointed & bitter.

RationalIcthus on August 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Over/under that Obama does an LBJ ?

William Amos on August 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I don’t work over/under, levels of uncertainty. In general I think there is a 30% chance of an LBJ with only a 20% certainty level to that. Add to that there is a lesser amount for a lesser time-frame (end of the CY) that he won’t stay in office and just quit (about 20% chance with 10% certainty). If he would do either of these this year, so as to open up the field to other Democrats (of which he would back a successor) and generally put the entire party in disarray, that would create the opportunity to clean up by removing another cadre of D’s in the House and nearly the full cadre in the Senate. What that also means is that R incumbents will see challengers as the D party is effecitvely neutralized by a power vacuum at the top: anyone getting in against a generic D will win.

That is in the low certainty range of a nearly 50% chance of that turmoil… but I consider those to be non-zero and actually substantial given his character, the rigidity of his ideology, his inability to adapt programmatically, petulance, and inability to walk back anything he does, all of those put those two into play.

I would be surprised if it happens, but not unprepared for it. Instead I expect him to continue on which will start to see all but a plurality of blacks and some minorities, along with the dedicated Left, flee the D party. Every day he stays on, the greater the chance that one major party will become non-functional increases… and as that happens the Tea Party starts to liquidate IT from the inside as well as the R party. In no time at all the party apparatus of both parties can be made to serve the people at the lowest levels. All those unemployed who want a job and see government as the problewm will have the incentive to do so. The Left can’t as they are too thin on the ground as it is… and those ranks will thin more as time goes on.

The trend lines are now in play and they spell out nothing good for the Nation or the establishment in either party. They had their chance and now it is time to stick a fork in them… and by NOV 2012 they will be fully cooked.

ajacksonian on August 4, 2011 at 7:56 PM

The White House doesn’t create jobs,” but then you knew that just by looking at the unemployment numbers. BTW, I almost ran off the road listening to GB radio today when he wished the president a happy birthday, you creep. At least the Won saved the debt ceiling before going off to celebrate.

Kissmygrits on August 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM

VDH asks, “So what now?”

If ObaMao were really interested in some solutions to this tanking economy, he would look no further than the suggestions in this piece.

onlineanalyst on August 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM

A Leftist calls for The Clowns

Send in the Clowns!

Key West Reader on August 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Truth Prevails.

Key West Reader on August 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”

Doesn’t “save” any, either (seen the unemployment rate lately?) They were lying all along.

Of course, we all knew this.

IrishEyes on August 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM

RationalIcthus

So much truth in two sentences. It’s a shame it won’t be appreciated.

BD57 on August 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Is Obamas Presidency….a plague on America?

PappyD61 on August 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 4, 2011 at 6:43 PM

He was on Fox and Friends last summer,balding, with short blonde hair.

kingsjester on August 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

He must have joined Joe Biden’s Hair Plugs For Men!

Here’s what he looked like with Ringo’s ASB in the late 1990′s. Jack Bruce helping him out, with Ringo adding a second drummer, namely Simon Kirke (Free and Bad Company)

Del Dolemonte on August 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”…No Shit…IT FREAKING DESTROYS THEM… just ask Steve Wynn

Political Chef on August 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM

“The White House doesn’t create jobs”

No, it squashes them like little nasty capitalist bugs.

AshleyTKing on August 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM

“The White House doesn’t create jobs,”

How many times has Obama said “WE created or saved 2 million jobs”??

TN Mom on August 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM

It’s taken them 3 years to acknowledge “The White House doesn’t create jobs.”

It’ll take them another year to figure out crap stinks.

By then, this country’s economy will be in the toilet.

This is “smart power”?

Danny on August 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM

RationalIcthus on August 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I live in SC. All we have is low level jobs. Walmart is all we have, dear. I make do and earn a small check to pay for college. My goal is to graduate and get out of here asap.

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Maybe Linda McMahon needs to pay Mr. Carney and the rest of those guys a visit. Couldn’t help but think of that moment in the CT Senate debate last year when this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkU3RSfDGE

Paid for by the Committee to Erect Anthony Weiner on August 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM

I had forgotten about jobs “saved or created”. That has to be one of the stupidest political lines ever.

Cindy Munford on August 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Increasing the debt limit does not solve the debt crisis, it exacerbates it. Next year this time the debt will be north of $16 trillion and we will be wondering what happened to that debt reduction plan.

Dasher on August 5, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Zero has created lots of jobs for. He’s created lots of czar jobs within our politburo answerable only to our dictator. He’s employed two freaks at the Supreme Court and no doubt has appointed many federal judges wishing to deem our Constitution un-Constitutional wherever possible. He’s employed assault weapons against his own nation in the hands of Mexican drug cartels. He has created plenty of jobs in the Brazilian and Cuban offshore oil exploration and drilling industries using our money. He’s even encouraged piracy employment levels in the Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean….. and probably for his fellow hoodlums along the Chicago River and Southwestern Lake Michigan too.

viking01 on August 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM

The WH doesn’t do sh!t. neither does it’s current occupant.

Fighton03 on August 5, 2011 at 1:32 AM

First thing, last thing.

pain train on August 5, 2011 at 3:48 AM

RationalIcthus on August 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

However tax cut at $0.1923 per hour or $1.54 per day (before taxes), provided you still have a job, is not going to stimulate anything.

DSchoen on August 5, 2011 at 5:15 AM

viking01 on August 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Yup. With all of the czars and the bizarre regulatory nightmare being imposed by fiat, you might as well call him Emperor Jugears.

He is doing his dead-level best to create a shadow government. He didn’t get to keep Van Jones publicly, but you’ve got to know he’s in the dastardly mix somewhere.

To what end? That’s the part that ought to make people have nightmares and wake up to consider the possibilities.

This guy in the WH said publicly before he was elected that he wishes to make our electric bills “necessarily” skyrocket because of the nonexistent AGW Goracle fantasy.

November ’12 is a loooooong way away, but it can’t come soon enough.

What a peach.

hillbillyjim on August 5, 2011 at 5:26 AM

O.J. is looking for the killer…Obama is looking for jobs…

right2bright on August 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Do they play together or have separate tee times?

SKYFOX on August 5, 2011 at 6:27 AM

From what I see, the White House isn’t doing much of anything except tearing our country down.

zoyclem on August 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Actually the WHITE HOSUE used to tell us all the time that the President CREATED jobs… of course, that’s when the Community Disorganizer BELIEVED it…

Wait till voters start blaming OBAMA for the state of their health too.

Press Briefing by Press Secretary Robert Gibbs
February 2, 2009

But I believe, and the President strongly believes, that the outlines of that deal will largely mirror the proposal that he sent up that creates jobs…

come down to the White House later today, he’s satisfied that we have the basis of a proposal that will save or create 3 to 4 million jobs,

you’ll find that this meets the President’s standard of stimulating the economy, creating jobs, investing in our long-term economic growth through creating jobs in things like a new energy economy….

We’ll let the Senate work its will as it relates to this, as long as it meets the test that the President believes the legislation thus far meets, which is how do we save or create 3 to 4 million jobs? How do we put people back to work? How do we make the investments that we need to make right now, not just for the jobs — for jobs to be created tomorrow….

I think that’s why (Governor Walker) walked in here today and was happy to support the President’s plan to ensure that we have a recovery plan that saves or creates 3 to 4 million jobs…..

what Senator McConnell and others should do is talk to their constituents about what’s needed to get the economy moving again. Many of them will tell you it’s a blend of spending that will create jobs immediately….

Jack Bauer on August 5, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”

…But it does throw a mean Barbeque Birthday Party for Scooter!

kingsjester on August 5, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Jay Carney Sherlock: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”

Physics Geek on August 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”

Obviously that’s true.

BUT that’s NOT what BIG GOVERNMENT statists like OBAMA believe.

They believe in their crypto-Marxian/KeynesianGramcian hearts that GOVERNMENT DOES “CREATE” JOBS.”

Jack Bauer on August 5, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Jay Carney: “The White House doesn’t create jobs”
Jay – they created YOUR job, didn’t they ????

LODGE4 on August 5, 2011 at 8:48 AM

So like wouldn’t it have been cool if you shared that with the President a trillion+ dollars ago?

Thune on August 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM

“The White House doesn’t create jobs”

So all that ‘created or saved jobs” theme was bullshit?

GarandFan on August 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Ba$tards. Every last one of them.
I hate them all.

Badger40 on August 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM

So all that ‘created or saved jobs” theme was bullshit?

GarandFan on August 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM

POTUS does, tho. He is the Savior.

Badger40 on August 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

fastestslug on August 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Slug, so if I understand correctly, you’re complaining because you’re in a “go nowhere” job while you’re in college? Isn’t that just kinda how it’s supposed to work? We *ALL* did that. It’s called “doing your time,” and it comes with the territory.

I’m not from South Carolina, I’m from Seattle, WA. I do believe there was a big story about Boeing opening a plant down there to build jets at Washington state’s expense? You guys have a vibrant, right-to-work manufacturing sector down there. There ARE jobs.

Not trying to be nasty here, but you need to realize that someone with just a high school diploma is going to get the “would you like fries with that” kind of jobs.

And don’t blame McD’s or wherever you work because they’ll only let you work four hour shifts. Blame the government that requires them to pay benefits if you work more than that. If the government weren’t interfering with the free enterprise decisions of companies, they could hire you for longer. The restaurant business (and other low-margin companies) don’t have the excess profits to pay bennies to entry-level uneducated workers. They’re doing the best they can.

Sounds like you’re doing the right thing. Finish your degree, use it to get an entry-level job and earn your way up with hard work & your own sweat. It’s the only way that works, and it’s the honest way to boot.

RationalIcthus on August 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

DSchoen on August 5, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Assuming 100-110 million working Americans, a $1.54/day tax cut works out to over $40 billion. While I agree it’s not a a lot compared to our debt, that’s not an insignificant amount of money to push into an economy like the US.

RationalIcthus on August 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I love to watch this guy get abused by the ENTIRE media, if for no other reason, because he was stupid enough to accept the position of WH Press Secretary in the first place. I hated Gibbs as well, but at least he saw the writing on the wall with regards to the direction the administration was headed and had enough sense to “git while the gitten’ was good.”

RMCS_USN on August 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM

The White House doesn’t create jobs? Okay, then. What’s all this blather about Obama “pivoting” to jobs then?

RebeccaH on August 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM