Video: Harry Reid pines for his pomegranate trees

posted at 4:35 pm on August 2, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Now that the Senate has passed and the president has signed the debt limit increase, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid can at last – at last! — go home to Nevada, where, he’s told, his pomegranate trees are in full bloom. It would be easy to feel sorry for him if the Senate had just once — just once! — in the past 825 days proffered a proactive solution to the debt ceiling debate. As Ed’s and AP’s Boss Emeritus put it on Twitter, this is just waiting to be AutoTuned: The Harry Reid Pomegranate Lament.

Reid could find a timeless lesson in his own fruit trees: You reap what you sow. Sow procrastination, reap down-to-the-deadline-deal-making.

At the same time, though, I can’t let this moment pass without suggesting that I think it would be better if politicians spent a little more time at home and a little less time concocting programs to solve everybody else’s problems — programs that all-too-often have unintended consequences. Let Reid visit friends and relatives. Let him reconnect with his pomegranate and fig trees, with those rose bushes he hasn’t seen in months. Maybe, in the process, he’ll remember that a home and family remain the best social safety net in any society and will start working to strengthen families, rather than to substitute the state for self-reliance and private generosity.

Comments

He has planted enough evil seeds in Washington.

William Amos on August 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Let him go home and stay there, permanently.

rbj on August 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I think his trees need long term, personal, daily care…

Khun Joe on August 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Pomegranate martinis for everybody!

d1carter on August 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Pomegranate trees and cowboy poetry. Now that’s the life.

If the government is cutting the checks for it.

forest on August 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM

What an elitist fruit. And the Pomegranate is a bit high-brow too.

mizflame98 on August 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

IF harry Reid’s Pomegranate tree falls in a debt forest doest it make it a big deal ?

William Amos on August 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I have no doubt this corrupt man used taxpayer money to buy his pomegranate trees.

darwin on August 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Clueless, pompous, embalmed corpse gone bad, he had to work late for the last few weeks and I’m supposed to feel sorry for him?

Bishop on August 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Naaaah.
/stevemartin

RedNewEnglander on August 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Pomegranates *are* particularly lovely. And good for you. Unlike Dingy Harry. Actually everybody in congress should be given an allotment to look after; good for the soul and more useful than anything else they do.

Fortunata on August 2, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Were this an ‘R’ we could expect news media hacks consulting Alzheimer’s experts re: whether old Harry should be put out to pasture.

VibrioCocci on August 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I would have figured Harry Reid to be a nut person.

William Amos on August 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Bishop on August 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Now you know what happens when Zombies get elected to the Senate.

darwin on August 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Reid goes home to his pomegranate trees and Obama goes home to a birthday bash… Great optics.

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I’d like to chuck a few pomegranates at his addled old noggin’.

Tim_CA on August 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM

What an elitist fruit. And the Pomegranate is a bit high-brow too.

mizflame98 on August 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Not really, I had a Pomegranate tree growing in the parkway when I lived in San Diego. Usually the homeless picked the fruit…
Now my Grapefruit tree was another story. I watched that fruit like a hawk.

OmahaConservative on August 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Somebody call the waaaaaaaaaaambulaaaaaaaance!

Ward Cleaver on August 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I’m not sure which is creepier….the freaky stuff that Harry Reid talks about, or the freaky way he talks. Freaky Creepy Harry.

redwhiteblue on August 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Just had me a Satan Sammie. Dee-lish! Tomorrow I’m going for a Devil Dog with a side of Satan Slaw.

MJBrutus on August 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I’d like to chuck a few pomegranates at his addled old noggin’.

Tim_CA on August 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Cracked Head Club?

Del Dolemonte on August 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Pomegranates before constituents. Or family? Nice.

JavelinaBomb on August 2, 2011 at 5:00 PM

What an elitist fruit. And the Pomegranate is a bit high-brow too.

mizflame98 on August 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

not really, we have plenty of them here in N Cali, and they are relatively cheap too…but I agree they are not very popular…eating a pomegranate can be a darn time consuming task, it takes effort to peel it, cut it and de-seed it…most people give up before they even get to the latter part…

jimver on August 2, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Do you know how long I have been at the Capital? I cannot wash the smell of the tourists off of me.

WashJeff on August 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Somebody call the waaaaaaaaaaambulaaaaaaaance!

Ward Cleaver on August 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

no need, a staff handed him his medication promptly, lyrical pomegranate lament finished abruptly :-)…

jimver on August 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I don’t think anyone can claim that the market had any fear of default.

blink on August 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

The market fears what every rational American fears: another year and a half of Obama and his insane clown possee’s spending and regulating binges.

AZCoyote on August 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM

There is something seriously wrong with this man. How can he be the leader of the freaking SENATE?

ctmom on August 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM

ctmom on August 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM

they’re all like that there :-)…

jimver on August 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

What an elitist fruit. And the Pomegranate is a bit high-brow too.

mizflame98 on August 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Careful…you’ll start a fruit class-war.

Tim_CA on August 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM

redwhiteblue on August 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Ever spent a night in Searchlight, Nevada?

‘nuf said.

Yoop on August 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM

There’s something else I wish he was “pining” for.

drunyan8315 on August 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Bishop, How’s that Adblock working out for you?

OmahaConservative on August 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM

A new source of revenue! Tax those greedy pomegranate growers!

scalleywag on August 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM

There ought to be a law (as Democrats are so fond of saying) prohibiting the Senate Majority Leader from leaving town until he has passed a budget.

Socratease on August 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM

It was just a couple of weeks ago that Reid blasted the House for taking the weekend off if you’ll remember? At the time he was still waiting for the House to show them the “path forward,” after they had passed Cut, Cap and Balance and 800 days after the Senate had not passed a budget resolution.

Speechlesstx on August 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Is this why Jamaes Taranto calls Reid “the dimbulb from Searchlight”?

Ward Cleaver on August 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Er, James.

Ward Cleaver on August 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Right Tina…Harry’s going to have an epiphany at this stage in the game?
My Pretty Pony has shaken up the Magic 8 Ball and it says….Do Pirates wear leiderhoesen?

birdhurd on August 2, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I’m sorry but I am beginning to dislike McConnell and Boehner even more. I know what Reid is and understand him for the vile creature he is. The other two are cowards of the first magnitude.

arnold ziffel on August 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM

In what alternate reality?

hachiban on August 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM

To follow up, that’s not what Liberals believe.

hachiban on August 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Dear Mr Reid…..

Kiss my son’s very manly behind. He spent a total of 1653 days fighting a war you claimed was lost. You can’t see your pomegrantes? I’m quite not concerned with it.

Limerick on August 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Harry SHOULD STAY in Nevada.

GarandFan on August 2, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Searchlight NV and Washington DC. 2 towns that BITE THE BIG ONE.

400lb Gorilla on August 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Just go dingy to your home with your trees, bees, snakes, and get outta of dc. You, as well as dear nan, need your days in the sunset. You got your millions from taxpayers so spend it going to vegas on a one spin, black, red!
L

letget on August 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Ummm, I have pomegranate trees, they don’t bloom in July or August.
Harry’s trees must be as slow as he.

Open The Door on August 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Pomegranate is supposed to work as a natural er*ctile aid, for whatever that signifies in this context.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM

What a deluded horse’s rump. How far from reality is this guy that he would think anyone cares that he’s ‘worked so hard’, & ‘I miss my trees’? He truly is the Maynard G. Krebs of the Senate.

JimP on August 2, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Reid’s hometown of Searchlight is obviously where he learned, at an early age, to screw the American public, with little show of any morals.

Witness: “Senator Reid’s autobiography states that during his youth the town had 13 houses of prostitution but no churches.”

Yoop on August 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Now that the Senate has passed and the president has signed the debt limit increase, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid can at last – at last! — go home to Nevada, where, he’s told, his pomegranate trees are in full bloom.

Big fat lie. They don’t bloom now – they do that btw. spring and summer.

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Ummm, I have pomegranate trees, they don’t bloom in July or August.
Harry’s trees must be as slow as he.

Open The Door on August 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I had just commented on his lie, but YOU are the winner!

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2011 at 11:58 PM

I live in CA central valley and Pomegranates bloom in the spring. We are on the same latitude as harry/tommy’s locale.
If questioned the headPOS would splain he meant they are in “bloom” w/the golfball sized fruit that will come due in the fall. Ya haters.

arnold ziffel on August 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM