Quotes of the day

posted at 10:31 pm on August 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Call it the Mittness Protection Program.

“Through the hot summer of 2011, the front-runner for the Republican nomination has been in hiding

“‘There’s a difference between not chasing every ball, and not getting in the arena,’ said a spokesman for one rival, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty. ‘In the ongoing battle of ideas for the future of America, Mitt Romney is a spectator with a record of cheering for both sides.’”

***
“This is not an absurd strategy. One of the advantages, after all, of running for president as an ‘unemployed’ person (as opposed to running as an incumbent), is the ability to avoid controversial stands. Why get down in the weeds if you can remain above the fray?

“The trouble is that Romney’s campaign does not exist in a vacuum. His opponents, many of whom have taken stands on the issue, are working feverishly to attribute his front porch campaign style to a lack of political courage. And their attacks may eventually resonate. Given the tea party zeitgeist, one wonders whether it’s possible to win the GOP nomination by avoiding the most contentious debates of the day.”

***
“There is a binary choice right now. We know what Romney says he’d do a president, but as a leader in his party is he urging Congress to vote no and send the nation into default? He won’t say. He signed the Cut, Cap and Balance pledge but now that that approach is simply not possible, does he agree with the half-a-loaf philosophy of many Republicans in Congress or the burn-down-the-building hold-outs? We don’t know. He says he appreciates the spot Congress is in, but what would he have its members do?

“Romney, for some Republicans, is the most mature and viable contender to go up against President Obama. But he makes himself unpalatable to the base and to even more moderate voters by playing it too cute by half. In other words, he leaves open a spot in the race for a bold, reasoned and constructive Republican reformer.”

***
“But in perhaps the best sign yet that he’s trained his sights solely on Romney, Huntsman absolved such figures as Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) and Ron Paul (R-Texas) for voting altogether against any debt-ceiling deal. They, at least, had made their position known, Huntsman said.

“‘I applaud them on taking on a position early on,’ he explained, noting his disagreement with them nonetheless. ‘I think that is commendable.’

“As for Romney, Huntsman said the silence was ‘telling.’

“‘He certainly is one who waited right until the very end, until, effectively, a decision had been made,’ he said. ‘This is a significant issue before our country … the thought that a candidate for the presidency of the United States wouldn’t be willing to stand up during a time when leadership is needed like never before and to embrace or put forward a solution to get us to where we need to be, I think, is very telling.’”

***
“Doggone it, I want these candidates who are in there — I want them to not be sitting back. And bless his heart, I have respect for Mitt Romney but I do not have respect for what he has done through this debt increase debate. He did this: He waited until it was a done deal that we would increase the debt ceiling and more money would be spent, more money borrowed and then spent on bigger government. And then he came out and he made a statement that ‘oh, he didn’t like the deal after all.’ You know, you can’t defer an issue and assume that the problem is going to be, then, avoided… You need to get out there and you need to tell the electorate what you really feel about these issues.”

Via Palin TV.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

But those aren’t the only choices (and I will not compare anyone’s speaking to Obama’s–I can’t listen to the man, on or off teleprompter). Why is self-improvement considered to be false or insincere? I am constantly working to improve myself and expand my knowledge and abilities. I assume the same is true of Mrs. Palin; I also believe improvement in this particular area would benefit her, and I don’t believe for one moment that she would lose the personal touch that makes so many people love her.

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Self-improvement is a noble goal. But when it comes to deciding who I personally vote for, all of the building blocks are already in the right place. What bothers me is the people who think to themselves, “I’d vote for her if she just wasn’t so darn inarticulate.” You and I both know that this kind of person does exist, and it does seem shallow and even insincere in some instances to me. It’s almost like some people are just looking for a reason not to like her.

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM

If you are a Palin supporter and speak up, certain people on here attack you personally for it. Yet they feel free to defend the candidate of their choice….

tinkerthinker on August 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

The funny part of all this is that their candidate of choice, for most of them keeps changing.

idesign on August 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The moment they’re register, they are legal. If we don’t have the will to evict them now, we won’t have it after they’re legal, lawyered up, making some minimal effort to move through citizenship paths, overtly employed and more deeply integrated into society.

They are legal when they register, but that doesn’t make them permanent residents. I didn’t say give them a green card or permanent residence status. I said make them register. I was thinking more along the lines of conditional residency over a short period where they have to assimilate into the US system and go through the full immigration process. Consider it a temporary visa. The immigration process is NOT some minimal effort process. That is one of the reasons why we have so many coming in illegally. It is more difficult to go through the proper channels. I don’t see why you’d be up in arms with them integrating into society, paying taxes, and getting proper jobs. Unless the left is correct and you are against immigration. I think we should have lots of immigrants. You don’t want to end up like Japan.

They are already lawyered up, so apparently it will happen legal or illegal. In other words, your argument is pointless.

We don’t have to “catch every one of them now running some kind of police state”, any more than we have to jail every homeless person who would like to sleep at your place. We just have to commit to locking the borders, enforcing the laws, make examples of businesses that hire them, and 90% or more will leave on their own.

Yes, I agree we should seal the border first and foremost. I agree with cracking down on the businesses that hire them as well. However, sealing the border does not catch the illegal immigrants already in the US (all 12 million of them). Your house example would be accurate if the homeless were already IN your house and sleeping at your place. In other words, it’s a poor example that doesn’t reflect reality.

BTW, Most illegals will never “pay out the wazoo”. Most don’t have the skills to earn much taxable wages, and they will continue to work under the table to avoid them when possible. Furthermore, they will eventually take most public services including welfare, just as my wife’s family did when they were sponsored to come from Cambodia in 1979. And I’ll support it. There should not be two classes of long term legal residents in America.

Obviously they can’t stay if they can’t pay. That’s what registering means. As for your wife’s family from Cambodia…I don’t see how they are on welfare if they are here legally as all legal immigrants are barred from welfare. They are automatically disqualified. All you have to do is report them and the checks should stop. If you wish to stop sponsoring them, you can. They would have to find another sponsor or face deportation. Since your wife is probably an immigrant, your ignorance of the immigration process astounds me.

Therefore, the moment they are registered they get almost all most of them could want, and we will have them for ever. Correction” the left will have them for ever, including for the civil unrest that will come as our economy collapses after Palin and friends compromise our way to adding trillions of dollars to the debt that is crippling our system.
elfman on August 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Again, you are operating under the assumption that all of them will immediately gain a green card and then citizenship. It doesn’t work that way. They register with the government (in other words, begin the immigration process). If they cannot complete it, they cannot stay.

Thank you.

Pattosensei on August 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM

So if she speaks without an accent then she has improved herself? Fine…

Her ideas and perspective are what is important.

tinkerthinker on August 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I want to be clear: I do not believe you are a member of a cult. I believe you firmly support Mrs. Palin. I do not believe people who do not support her have PDS. I believe people can support a candidate while not believing that person is perfect, just as they can oppose someone and acknowledge strengths (e.g., I admire the way Gov. Christie stands up to unions–and I do not want him to run for President). I believe principled people can disagree, and that sometimes no amount of discussing support or disagreement will result in anyone budging.

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Thank you for the clarification. In return, I would like to say that my support of Sarah Palin is not absolute and unqualified. I have given much thought to what will happen if I can’t vote for her in my state’s primary, and I don’t believe that everyone who dislikes Palin has PDS — although some do.

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I feel the same…I am not sure who I could support if Palin doesn’t run.

tinkerthinker on August 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM

No doubt some people are looking to find fault, and nothing she can do will ever be satisfactory. And you’re right that some people are really shallow–I will never forget when I introduced my liberal sister-in-law to a conservative gubernatorial candidate, her exclaiming how handsome he was, and the next thing she had his sign up in her yard. But the votes of the shallow people count the same as the votes of the principled–I want their votes, too. :)

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM

…the votes of the shallow people count the same as the votes of the principled–I want their votes, too. :)

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Meh. It will take a helluva lot more than some voice coaching for Sarah Palin to win the votes of the shallow. That’s one thing that makes me think America is already over and we just may not realize it yet.

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Have y’all seen this about Sarah? This is a bit of a head scratcher to say the least! The statement by West was very telling, IMO.

L

letget on August 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Some of us do.

We have a population where 40% pay no taxes.
An elite ruling class that votes it’s self more money and benefits and exempts themselves from the laws and rules the rest of us have to abide by.
No jobs.
Too much debt.

tinkerthinker on August 3, 2011 at 12:24 PM

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Oh, I don’t know–she’s awfully pretty, too. :)

More seriously, I hope you are not right about America. I have great faith in Americans, particularly as they get away from the coasts (although plenty of us on the coast are right-headed and love this country). I think the success of the Tea Party and the opposition to the debt ceiling deal indicate that people are becoming very serious about the future of this nation–they may not understand all the ins-and-outs (who among us does?) but they recognize the seriousness of the situation we’re in, and that politicians are a great part of the problem. Unfortunately, the votes of the stupid, the shallow, and the insulated count, too, and they are the people we worry about.

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Blah. I’m going to be depressed for the rest of the day. Thanks.

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM

As to those donations from SarahPac to various candidates.

WTHeck! Was she supposed to write a personal little charming note on flower bordered note cards to each along with the check?

When I donate money I just send the darn check.

Amjean on August 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Blah. I’m going to be depressed for the rest of the day. Thanks.

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM
It is depressing since there seems to be so many.
Dumbasses all.

Amjean on August 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Amjean on August 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Don’t be. Remember, many of them voted last time so they could be a part of something “historic” (as if every presidential election were not a part of history). This time, there isn’t so much to motivate them, and the Great Bloviator can only do so much.

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM

There’s a better way than just deporting them all, even if it was possible to deport them en mass.

Pattosensei on August 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Exactly on many levels. Yahoo is just that, a yahoo unable to think about the ramifications and unintended consequences of all that it espouses.

Sorta reminds me of a 1-issue blogger from back around 2003/4, a SGT Raymond that wanted the border made into a no-man’s strip with mines and grenades, along with shot on sight towers. Spiced with lots of CAPS. When pointed out that in places, there are pockets of civilization, ranches or even public roadways next to the border, the response was along the lines of emminent domain to relocate everything so there would be a 1 mile wide strip all along the border. That and shoot them all, let God sort them all.

It’s fine to be a 1-issue person, but ya better come to the table with a reasoned plan.

As for csd, what more can one say about a basement troll. Everything the chihuahua assumes about its target is merely a projection of its circumstances. It’s not interested in your thots, just how it can flip a snippet into an ankle-biting exercise.

AH_C on August 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM

The obsessor is back to obfuscate, yet again…

Gohawgs on August 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM

ROFLOL. Although there’s nothing it could do to make me want to sleep with it. Methinks even Grammy doesn’t let it out of the basement much — “out of sight, out of mind” sez Grammy Deven.

AH_C on August 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Obviously, she is working on it. Compare her now and back then when she was so “grating”. I think the 1st example was back when she spoke in India. Hey, if the Indians had no problem understanding her, she good enough for the average American.

Of course, managing the speaking style also means controlling the emotional state. When she gets passionate, her old style comes out. But count on obsessors to obsess on the trivial, instead of the message.

AH_C on August 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

If you want some laughs, go to HuffPo and see their take on Palin’s Hannity interview, then read the comments:

May even help motivate some of the obsessed & depressed to keep up the fight…

OnlyOrange on August 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

gryphon202 on August 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Amjean on August 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM

DrMagnolias on August 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Someone posted on Hot Air some time ago the following
(I paraphrase):

If someone voted for Obama to prove they aren’t racist or
because a black man as president is historic, then they
need to vote for the other person in 2012 to prove they
are not stupid.

Amjean on August 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Amjean on August 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM

and vote for the woman to prove they aren’t sexist.

hehe

unseen on August 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM

So Mitt and his team have declined to respond to this slap in the face. what is he afraid of a girl?

unseen on August 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Sarah was outstanding last night. Back in good form.

james23 on August 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Sarah was outstanding last night. Back in good form.

james23 on August 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

i hope it is the beginning of a month long roll out.

unseen on August 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I feel the same…I am not sure who I could support if Palin doesn’t run.

tinkerthinker on August 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Rick Perry if he runs, Michele Bachmann if he doesn’t.

They’re both ideologically similar to Palin, but don’t have Palin’s “quitter” baggage. Perry would be a stronger candidate than Bachmann, since he currently represents 37 Congressional districts, while Bachmann represents just one.

Steve Z on August 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Sarah was outstanding last night. Back in good form.

james23 on August 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I think she gets particular enjoyment out of telling the truth about Obama. Afterall, if the public knew the truth about him, unfiltered thru our American Pravda … he never would have been elected.

darwin on August 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM

It doesn’t matter. Once legal, they can politically organize work openly, start businesses, and become integral to legal businesses. Why are you going on about the difficulty of citizenship. They get most of what they want just by that. The threat of deportation later is minimal because if we will not deport them now, we will be much less likely to deport them later when they have been made legal and are more deeply embedded and can pretend they are trying to become citizens.

Really? You don’t know why it’s moral to give people who legally applied to live here preference over those didn’t and just broke in? You don’t know why it’s in our best interest to prioritize most immigration to those with skills that we determine are needed (or by some other criteria) and put caps on it?

They they will be much much more lawyered up once there are laws for residency requirements to contest and once they can openly class action file by the hundreds of thousands or millions in order to purchase the best lawyers money can buy. (The “money can buy” part is redundent isn’t it?)

It was a flawed analogy. A better one would be that it’s like a massive riot. The police do not have to amass a force large enough to arrest and jail every rioter in order to end it. They just have to be credible enough so that people leave rather than risk arrest.

Obviously they can’t stay if they can’t pay.

Why on earth would we have the will to deport them after they “try” to pay their fees and “try” to take the classes but are “just unable” to do so years from now, but we don’t have the will to deport them now?

Your unsupported assumptions “astound me”. I said:
“just as my wife’s family did when they were sponsored to come from Cambodia in 1979.”

Notice the past tense of the word “did” and the date 1979. FWIW, My wife said that they were on food stamps for some time in their first few years. Maybe there was an exemption for political refugees or the rules changed. Either way, I see no reason to believe that pressure for federal help to illegals will end with legalization. 20 years after amnesty, some will be calling for reparations :)

Again, you invent wild assumptions from things that I never said nor implied. They don’t need citizenship or green cards. They simply need to be more secure that their life can continue uninterrupted by ICE. Amnesty gives them that for all the reasons that I posted to you last time. It appears that this is the first time that you’ve been exposed to those arguments. You need to go back and reread them carefully this time. You don’t need to agree, but you do need to understand the counter arguments to amnesty and have the courage to consider them as coming from a rational informed person, even if it means that you might be wrong.
Pattosensei on August 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

elfman on August 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Pattosensei on August 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Damn, I clipped off the “post to” tag again.

elfman on August 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Did you watch the entire interview, or did you just react to the misleading headline and what other people say she said?

She made herself clear.

Saying Palin has joined the establishment and is “morally damaged” is simply not in connection with any reality.

Brian1972 on August 3, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I just read here quotes, but eventually went back and watched the video twice. It’s not clear to me what she meant. I posted my reasoning there, and watched a couple of palinistas explode into madness :)

elfman on August 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I stole this earlier today. Sorry, but I can’t remember who from.

Baracudas Maximus!

Mirimichi on August 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I think that was idesign

Kataklysmic on August 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Technically, of course, it should be Barracuda Maxima. :-)

/pedant

Mary in LA on August 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM

elfman on August 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I did not catch either interview on TV, since I had to be away for a funeral Monday and Tuesday, but I watched them both this morning and understood her meaning just fine.

She does not confuse me.

Brian1972 on August 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM

@ orange at 1:15

check out this comment

He Ain’t Heavy, He’s my Brother
1738 Fans
29 minutes ago (7:00 PM)
Look what’s happened to the country since the Tea Baggers took congress.

Jobs are down. Private businesses are scared that government spending cuts are going to mean lost sales.

Spending cuts always slow down the economy. Every single time we’ve done it.

Makes me think of the cattle scene in HUD

So many of these a$$holes

Sonosam on August 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM

In case you missed it last night I’ll ask again. WTF is your obsession with Palin? Your normal posts are fine. Does she remind you of a woman/girl who broke your heart or just one that said gtfoh?

arnold ziffel on August 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Consider this…..

This is a political blog where politicians are discussed. This is not the csdeven blog where csdeven ever has been nor ever will be the topic of a thread.

Ask yourself this question….

Why are you obsessed with me, when doing so is thread jacking. My criticism of Palin is completely appropriate and expected here.

Perhaps your concern should be to defend Palin, if you can, and not to obsess over why I criticize her?

csdeven on August 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Perry has a Texas twang, I’m wondering if you feel the same about him…

tinkerthinker on August 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I’m not sure how the indies view him. I expect his favorable/unfavorable poll numbers would be an indication. Why don’t you check that out instead of pretending the criticism of Palins butchering of the English language isn’t a huge problem for her and somehow the issues of a different politician somehow mitigates her weaknesses?

csdeven on August 3, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Deny it all you want but everyone here paying attention knows you are a Mitt fanboy.

The only people who have convinced themselves that I am a Romney supporter are from the delusional wing of the St Palin the Victimized congregation. They are convinced that they are Palin and Palin is them. And that any criticism of Palin is a personal insult leveled at them. So in order to sooth their damaged psyche, they project the obsession they have on Romney onto others.

But continue on with your Palin bashing for no reason but your fear of the woman taking down Mitt

unseen on August 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I will continue to critique Palin and you will continue to take each and every critique as a personal insult of you and you entire family tree.

csdeven on August 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM

It just cannot help itself.

Obsessive, indeed.

Brian1972 on August 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM

You really have to laugh. Palin bucking the norm and “doing things her own way” is celebrated by her cult members. Romney doing things his way is bad bad bad. And did I mention it’s bad?

Meanwhile, how’s that Undefeated doing? Usually a massive roll out means more theaters, not less.

xblade on August 4, 2011 at 1:40 AM

xblade on August 4, 2011 at 1:40 AM

While you’re laughing, you can go ahead and vote for Romney.

I’ll not. I wonder if he’ll come out of his bunker in time to give a concession speech?

Time will tell.

Brian1972 on August 4, 2011 at 6:53 AM

xblade on August 4, 2011 at 1:40 AM

I love that “unless this thing is as big as Harry Potter it’s a complete flop” idea. It goes along with “if her book doesn’t sell as many copies as the Bible it’s a failure”. Par for the course.

ddrintn on August 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM