Palin: House passage of debt deal is a victory for the Tea Party

posted at 12:00 pm on August 2, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It seems to be the new talking point: The deal is a victory for conservatives not because of what it does (which is, not much!), but because it supposedly represents a change in the direction of the debate. Once, Washington discussed what to grow. Now, Washington discusses what to cut. Even former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has echoed the theme — but with qualifications. The Wall Street Journal Washington Wire reports:

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said Monday’s House vote to lift the debt ceiling was a victory for the tea party, proving that conservative activists had shifted the conversation in Washington.

“We shall take this victory and make sure our politicians in office today are learning from this victory,” Ms. Palin said Monday night on Fox News, where she is a paid contributor. “It’s not a 100% pure genuine victory. We just handed the most liberal president, I believe, in U.S. history a $2.4 billion debt increase.” …

Ms. Palin didn’t fully embrace the deal, saying she had plenty of problems with the compromise  between the White House and congressional leaders, including Republican House Speaker John Boehner. In the past, the former governor said she was not convinced America would face a default if lawmakers did not raise the debt ceiling by Aug. 2.

Meanwhile, Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), one of the founders of the Tea Party Caucus in Congress (along with GOP presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann), says the deal can’t possibly be touted as a win.

“The Tea Party is not calling this a victory,” Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said today on Fox News. “I’m certainly not.”

It’s perplexing, really — the way so many conservatives changed their minds at the last minute. About a week ago, Palin called for any supposedly small-government freshman who voted for a debt ceiling increase to face a “contested” primary. Now, she’s silent on the subject of the 59 House freshmen who voted for the deal. And what about the 59 freshmen who voted that way in the first place? What accounts for their support? What accounts for Boehner’s comment that he got “98 percent” of what he wanted, when he clearly didn’t?

The effort to spin this compromise as a conservative victory is impressive — and it makes sense. No one wants to declare themselves diminished politically. And this deal enables leadership to tout its ability to garner votes, to prevent default, etc., etc. etc. But it’s still just a political victory. It’s not a solution. And to rest too much on the laurels of maybe-no-tax-hikes and at-least-it’s-not-a-clean-debt-ceiling-increase obscures the distance the country still has to go. Better to stay focused on the facts: The nation is still spending money it doesn’t have (we’re borrowing about $2 million every minute of every day!). The government is still growing (keep in mind the cuts are to increases in spending over the next 10 years).

Here’s the full video of the Palin interview:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Name the year our debt was last paid off, and who the President was.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

The last time the debt ceiling was reduced was in the 1960′s. I’m pretty sure JFK was president at the time, but I’d have to look it up.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

of course the haters are unreachable but I see some posters that haven’t been real supportive of Palin giving her kudos on the interview.

So If that was Gov Palin’s plan it worked.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

That would be me but I don’t think Palin “planned” anything in response to Greta’s questions. I think that was Palin being Palin. I like her ability to take things one at a time and move on to the next. She learns as she goes along and then uses that knowledge to her advantage.

Vince on August 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

You know very well that I was referring to Alan West , Renee Ellmers and the sells outs like those.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

1) You used the term Tea Party types.

2) Then you go on to say that Palin no longer wants to stick her neck out for them – Poor, Palin.

Here I’ll do a recap. There were some self-identified TP people that went with the establishment. You claim that the self-identified TP Palin doesn’t want to stick her neck out for them. I find this strange on several levels. 1) Clearly there are many TP people that are willing to stick their necks out trying to stop this crap sandwich. 2) I’d would think Palin would see that and if she were a sincere TP person, join them. 3) you shouldn’t use such broad terms when you really are referring to traitors.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Could it possibly be because that’s the way you mean it?

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Don’t feed the tool.

j_galt on August 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

They DID stop the Tax hike BS cold….

Did they not?

Did they?

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Well so far, anyway, but really, don’t ak me, I’m just a hobbit at heart and prefer smoking fine Shire Tobacco along with an occasional song and dance.

golfmann on August 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Your ‘facts’ are too nuanced to hold up.

How about spending cuts?

Name the last time our budget was actually reduced in size, in the last 50 years.

Name the last time a Federal gun law was repealed.

Name the last Federal Agency that was shrunk or cut, except for the US military.

Name the year our debt was last paid off, and who the President was.

Name the last time a refinery was built in this country.

I can do this all day…

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Go ahead and name them. We’ll wait.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Not what I asked, but it doesn’t really matter.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Go ahead and name them. We’ll wait.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I knew you didn’t know the answers.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Could it possibly be because that’s the way you mean it?

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Of course it is. Good Lt is only good for hurling insults and attacking conservative women. That’s my take on his comments – so it must be true! ;)

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I think Wall Street has done what they can to insulate themselves against what these idiots in Congress do but the White House and his executive orders are something you can’t prepare for. Add to that Obamacare’s blanks being filled in and we have a serious mess on our hands.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Vince on August 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

true. glad you liked the interview.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Not what I asked, but it doesn’t really matter.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Oh I know. I threw that out more as a point of reference.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Amen!

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

But why would you look at that as an insult?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

First you imply that “true cons” are inflexible martyrs to purity. Then, if those you have accused applaud any instance of pragmatism or willingness to compromise in the short term to achieve longterm objectives, you accuse them of abandoning principle.

You also appear to delight in any infighting you can provoke.

It’s all pretty juvenile.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I knew you didn’t know the answers.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Do you?

Enlighten everyone.

Or curse some more.

Whatever works.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

No, because you are a dishonest troll.

fossten on April 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Fine.

Good Lt on April 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Do you?

Enlighten everyone.

Or curse some more.

Whatever works.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Nobody is more of an expert at missing the point in favor of personal snark than you.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I am NOT ready to toss Ms. Palin under the bus.

That said, I think that she missed an opportunity to better educate everyone as to why the debt deal is actually a nail in the coffin of the American era.

This was no victory, but more smoke and mirrors, more tap dancing, more political theater, and a near complete loss of the language, if not the tenor of the debate. Speeches recently made by Ryan and Rubio were tone perfect in articulating the what’s, how’s, and why’s. The RNC should be broadcasting those two on every airwave known to man.

I loves me some Sarah Palin, but she has to understand that she needs to chose her words carefully, lest her political foes use those same words to beat her brains in.

itzWicks on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

You also appear to delight in any infighting you can provoke.

It’s all pretty juvenile.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

He’s a master baiter.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

See, this is why I back Bachmann over Palin.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Then you’re backing the loser.

tencole on August 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

itzWicks on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Yup. This.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

itzWicks on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

the only good thing I can see aboout the dela is that the POTUS in 2013 can do away with it.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

First you imply that “true cons” are inflexible martyrs to purity.

Judging by some of the responses and behavior we’ve seen on these threads, I’m right. Do you disagree?

Blind, unquestioning adherence to principle without any consideration of reality is something to be mocked if the left does it.

Should we hold the right’s feet to the fire as well?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Yes. That’s what Palin said in the clip.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Then what the heck are you complaining about, then? : )

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

golfmann on August 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I thought this big commission could hike taxes somehow.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

There isn’t anybody anywhere that can singlehandedly do away with the crap these two parties have dumped on us in the last 2 years.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Should we hold the right’s feet to the fire as well?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

It’s notable that you continually refer to the right in terms of ‘them’ and not ‘us.’

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

This is certainly not Palin’s finest hour. Even Romney was able to sleepwalk himself through a disapproval of this mess.

Bugler on August 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Screw this place. We had nothing but name calling from RINOs for the last week, telling us we were extremists and crazy for saying that the GOP was selling us out.

And we were right.

And where are the jerkoffs that told us we were crazy?

Where are you a$$holes?

fossten on August 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM

He’s a master baiter.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

That’s because the right’s principle is grounded in reality. To say otherwise is ceding ground to leftists.

Should we hold the right’s feet to the fire as well?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Now all self-proclaimed “conservatives” are conservative in principle. And when “conservatives” are being hypocrites, like John Boehner so often is, you bet I’ll call them out on it. But to call out conservatives for being “too conservative?” You seem to be claiming to want something at odds with the context of your complaints.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Why didn’t you answer like this when I asked? Not answering and instead demanding ~what I think ‘it’ is~ was an insult.

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Yeap going to need a lot of footsoldiers elected in 2012 to even have a chance.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I did answer you. Scroll upthread.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Yeap going to need a lot of footsoldiers elected in 2012 to even have a chance.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Just so they can cave and kick us in the teeth again while telling us that we won?

No thanks.

The GOP can go pound sand.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

1) You used the term Tea Party types.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Well, it has been widely quoted that the resistance to the bill came from long standing conservatives, not tea party types. Which means that a majority of tea party freshmen did indeed fall in line with the establishment whether they are traitors or not, that’s for you to decide.

I named Alan West and Renee Ellmers as being the more notable and also unlike the others these went to bat for the establishment.

As for me, I don’t trust the tea party types. Anybody can say good things, whether they follow through with their promises or not is something else entirely. The tea party types have failed the first test.

I trust Guiliani and Palin because they’ve actually delivered real reforms but I don’t want them to be sandbagged heavylifting for a second rate army.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I did answer you. Scroll upthread.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Read, don’t skim, champ.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Looks like Palin will be on Hannity tonight.

this should be interesting.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Then what the heck are you complaining about, then? : )

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

It seemed in your initial comment that you were running with Tina’s headline (which I think distorts what Palin said). But it sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. ;)

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I watched the entire video (if you haven’t, please do, you understand Palin’s position much better) and yeah, she is acknowledging there is a “victory” by the Tea Party to change the debate, but she is NOT happy with the outcome and feels much more work needs to be done. If you watch the video you will not come away with the feeling that Palin is looking at all this lunacy as something to cheer about or feel satisfied with.

I’m a Palin supporter and I’m smart enough to acknowledge moments when she’s not at her best–like the Paul Revere quote (even though she was correct), the Katy Couric interview (she’s done much better since then) and her using the term “victory” here. I disagree with her that you can call this any kind of victory because it changed nothing in Limbaugh’s favorite place, Literalville. But overall I know she’s NOT happy with the passage of this debacle, and knowing her positions on things like the debt, taxes and spending, I’m not going to run from her for framing this as a minor “victory.”

theotherone on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I don’t get what is going on either, but if my suspicious self had to guess , I’d say Boehner called Palin and told her they didn’t have the mechanisms in place to stop or effectively combat the rioting,looting and fighting in the streets that is going to occur when we finally collapse and the populace finds out they’ve been wiped out financially. All they saved for by working hard has been confiscated and redistributed to Moochers for so long now that nothing is left. That’s what I think.

CCRWM on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

OK, this is funny.

Y-not on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

itzWicks on August 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Listen to the interview.

Vince on August 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

golfmann on August 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I thought this big commission could hike taxes somehow.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Does anybody really know what’s actually in it? Sarah did mention the 72 hour “promise” they lied about.

I’ve said all along it is all about tax increases, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

The name alone is enough to cause severe illness:
The budget control act or some such.

PLLLLLEASE!

Ok back to my tobacco… :)

golfmann on August 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Bugler on August 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. If the TeaParty didn’t push for debt reduction, where would we be now? We all agree that this legislation is a drop of light in a sea of darkness, but it has turned the conversation to debt reduction, and there is no turning back.

idesign on August 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

No thanks.

The GOP can go pound sand.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

i have been saying for years the electing footsoldiers without leadership is a waste of effort and money. the leaders make the footsoldiers follow orders. the speaker and McConnell made many follow their orders like Duffy, ellmers and West.

If we elect conservative leaders AND conservative footsoldeirs we have a chance. It is a both not and either or.

this is one reason why I think Mitt would be a major mistake. It doesn’t matter if we have a total conservative Congress with Mitt or some other moderate at the helm the congress becomes RInOville in short order.

It also explains why the establishment actively attempts to keep conservatives off the ballot for leadership positions. Look at how utterly Bachmann failed to even get a seat at the table in the house.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

It’s hysterical to watch Bachamnn supporting “tea party types” and butt-hurt RINOs slamming Palin for something so trivial. She tried to stop it, the thing was passed, there’s no point in spending political capital over a done deal. Take the scraps that establishment gave you and plan your next move.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Remember the Alamo? Look what happens when we don’t reinforce and support our fighters and instead isolate them at the farthest outposts.

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

That’s not what happened. But I would say what did happen is appropriate: Don’t isolate yourself in a deathtrap and ignore calls to retreat because you want to prove a point. (No disrespect to the heroes of the Alamo, but essentially that’s what happened.)

cartooner on August 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Well she’ll be on Hannity tonight…let’s see what she has to say.
I’m sure she’s not happy.

tencole on August 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Read, don’t skim, champ.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Screw this place.

fossten on August 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

The GOP can go pound sand.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

It’s a good thing for you that Palin’s running third party.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

That should have been a warning sign, but we were all too euphoric in the ‘victory’ in November that we dismissed it as nothing.

But after the Budget Battle Surrender and this latest debacle, it’s clear that Boehner and McConnell run the show, and they want to get along and get theirs first.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

It’s a good thing for you that Palin’s running third party.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’m sure that made you giggle when it was bouncing around inside your head.

Oh well, back to the drawing board with ya.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

It’s a good thing for you that Palin’s running third party.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Not a chance….

idesign on August 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

EXACTLY. If Romney or Pawlenty said this, the Palinbots would be frothing at the mouth to attack them. Sarah says it, and they excuse it.

KeepOhioRed on August 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Pretty much sums things up nicely.

Earlier this morning:
HotAir “true cons”: PRIMARY EVERYONE WHO VOTED FOR THIS BILL!!!!!!1111

Later this morning:
Sarah Palin: You know, this deal was a win for the Tea Party.
HotAir “true cons”: That Sarah Palin, what a brilliant pragmatist!

Vyce on August 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

No, because you are a dishonest troll.

fossten on April 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Fine.

Good Lt on April 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

It’s a good thing for you that Palin’s running third party.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

She’s not stupid, she knows third party = four more of little Bammie.

slickwillie2001 on August 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Later this morning:
Sarah Palin: You know, this deal was a win for the Tea Party.
HotAir “true cons”: That Sarah Palin, what a brilliant pragmatist!

Vyce on August 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

^^^^^Hasn’t read the comments yet….ROFLMAO

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

CCRWM on August 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Could be. Well, when she delivered a stark warning to tea party freshmen, many here felt she was overreaching, now she sounds a conciliatory tone over a deal that’s been done and she no power to change the details, she’s being slammed.

I suppose she should waited it out like Romney and then issue a pro forma declaration of disapproval. Unlike him, she actually tried to stop this thing, going very very far. She knows that if she takes the same threatening tack like she did last time, she’s going blow the tea party into pieces and it only gives comfort to Boehner.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I’m sure that made you giggle when it was bouncing around inside your head.

Oh well, back to the drawing board with ya.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

You’re the one with the candidate problem.

Third parties have no electable candidates.

Enjoy obscurity!

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

it has turned the conversation to debt reduction
idesign on August 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

“Conversations” about debt reduction are nothing new in Washington–they’re business as usual. This bill will result in precisely the same spending reductions that the previous 63,431 Washington promises to reduce spending have produced.

Bugler on August 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

She’s not stupid, she knows third party = four more of little Bammie.

slickwillie2001 on August 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Tell fossten.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

You’re the one with the candidate problem.

Third parties have no electable candidates.

Enjoy obscurity!

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Enjoy your blind allegiance to the GOP as they slip your chains on.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

agrred we got some good folk in Congress. If we had the right leader those folk would have been voting no on this bill not yes. Leadership does matter. the rinos have proven that beyond doubt. Now more then ever we need a Tea party person in leadership position WH would be a good start and While I don’t have much hope McConnell woould ever come around I do think under a conservative POTUS the speaker would follow his/her lead

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Tell fossten.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Your personal interest in me is a little creepy, dude.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Your personal interest in me is a little creepy, dude.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Screw this place.

fossten on August 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Door’s open, champ.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

We’re out of time to fix this thing ‘down the road.’ We’re already being downgraded. Fixing it TODAY wouldn’t even fix that.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I’m confused. WTF Sarah?

RDE2010 on August 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Sorry, Sarah. You’re still my top choice for 2012, but you’re wrong on this one. This is no victory. The damn Ruling Class just continued the world’s biggest Ponzi scheme, but dressed it up in the language of “bipartisan compromise” & “fiscal reform.”

They screwed us. Again.

OhioCoastie on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Enjoy your blind allegiance to the GOP as they slip your chains on.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

OH NOES! TEH CHAINZ!@!$#!111!

Paranoid troll is paranoid.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Yeah, Bachmann getting snubbed, Noem being selected, all the tales about tea party freshmen boozing it up with the lobbyists, Cornyn selected without a fight, things like light-bulb banning idiot selected for energy committee, etc etc. This whole thing was planned. Boehner and his co know how to seduce, divide and conquer.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Door’s open, champ.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

{Admitted troll set to ignore}

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

NO rally in the market after passage….DOW Tanks.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Congratulations! You haven’t said “Fox Contract” in this WHOLE Palin thread.

Wearing a Patch?

portlandon on August 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

She did fail, but I thought at the time that she was reaching when she tried to beat Hensarling for the GOP conference chair spot. Hensarling is no fiscal squish. He had Pence’s and Ryan’s backing and had already demonstrated leadership in other positions. Bachmann really didn’t have any counter to that. I think she just wanted more visibility.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

They screwed us. Again.

OhioCoastie on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

You’re just a paranoid wacko troll.

/Good Lt

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

First you imply that “true cons” are inflexible martyrs to purity.
Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

*monocle falls into tea cup*

Wait, they’re NOT?!?!

Well, maybe the larger group of “true cons.” It CERTAINLY applies to the HotAir variant.

Vyce on August 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

President Barack Obama says the emergency bill Congress passed to prevent a government default is just the first step to ensuring the country lives within its means.

there… don’t you feel better?

I do.

golfmann on August 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I did answer you. Scroll upthread.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I was refering to that answer!

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Rush is on a roll today. slamming this bill explaining how the dems in the senate see this as a tax hike and a return to tax and spend.

I agree with Rush here.

I’m hoping Palin on hannity tonight is more forcefull and less in healing mode.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Congratulations! You haven’t said “Fox Contract” in this WHOLE Palin thread.

Wearing a Patch?

portlandon on August 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

ROFLMAO

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Bugler on August 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I wasn’t talking about Washington, I was talking about the conversations going on across the country, where every family has to budget and pay their bills and not overspend. I have faith that the majority of American people understand this, and that’s what I mean when I say the conversation has changed.

idesign on August 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

No thanks.

The GOP can go pound sand.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Yeah!! Who cares if the Dems control the Senate and the White House!?

They didn’t FORCE THE LIBERALS to stop being LIBERAL. Those GOP bastards in the House didn’t overcome their constitutional limits on their power and produce the miracle I DEMAND!

SCREW THEM!! I’m staying home or voting 3rd party next year. Let Obama be reelected. THAT’LL SHOW ‘EM!!

Who’s with me?!

KeepOhioRed on August 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Heres whats going on:

The traditional “political win” could be tauted from the Tea Party, but their make up and ethos isn’t a “traditional political way”, therefore I can see the 2 sides saying 2 different things.

I am a Palin fan, but a bit concerned she is leaning – out of character – towards a “traditional political lens” to declare this a Tea Party victory.

Odie1941 on August 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

OhioCoastie on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Extremist. Frodo. Terrorist. Terrhobborist.

Why can’t you nutbags face reality, this is the best the GOP could do! They told us so, and if you could just wait for the Party to get the White House and filibuster-proof majorities in both houses, they will immediately slash $18 trillion from the federal debt.

Bishop on August 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Later this morning:
Sarah Palin: You know, this deal was a win for the Tea Party.
HotAir “true cons”: That Sarah Palin, what a brilliant pragmatist!

Vyce on August 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Except what she really said is that the deal is weak, we have tons of work to do, and it’s only a “victory” in that the Tea Party was able to change the debate.

I urge people to watch the whole video before drawing any conclusions.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

So this means Palin is a RINO,commie and all those other bad words????

Southernblogger on August 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

You’re just a paranoid wacko troll.

/Good Lt

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Misattribution troll is misattributing.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

maybe but after the historic victory the leadership should have given someone that came from the tea party a seat at the table.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

So anybody who wanted Allen West primaried now must want SP primaried.

Really Right on August 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

To compromise one’s principles and call it a victory is disgusting.

Hold the line, vote on principle, and call that a victory.

joshlbetts on August 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

OH NOES! TEH CHAINZ!@!$#!111!

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

KeepOhioRed on August 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Congratulations! You haven’t said “Fox Contract” in this WHOLE Palin thread.

Wearing a Patch?

portlandon on August 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

And what do you think of that RINO Palin selling out to show support to Boehner’s evil compromised bill guaranteeing eternal destruction for America?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Wow, this is very disappointing. Sarah is normally right on the money, but here she is just reading the same talking points as John Bonehead, Bill Krystol, Charles K et al. Fail.

Sarah is wrong and Rush is right. This was no win for the tea party. They got spanked, hard, and shoved to the back of the bus. So much so that I believe their existence as a meaningful check on Republican borrow and spend excess, is now in doubt. Tea partiers need to get space from the borrow and spend Republicans, and so does Sarah.

Dang, and not 30 minutes ago I dropped a check to her PAC in the mail. Wish I could recall it.

james23 on August 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

So this means Palin is a RINO,commie and all those other bad words????

Southernblogger on August 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

You should watch the video before making lame talking points…

idesign on August 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

KeepOhioRed on August 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Undecided, death by a 1,000 cuts is only marginally worse than death by 995 cuts.

Or in other words…

Pre 2010 election: “We promise to cut spending by $100 billion”.

Post 2010 election: “Here is your $350 million spending cut just like we promised”.

I’m on the wait and see fence until November 2012.

Bishop on August 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Stocks extended losses and hit session lows after the Senate passed the bill to cut spending and raise the debt ceiling.

The Dow Jones industrial average (DJI:^DJI – News) dropped 146.63 points, or 1.21 percent, to 11,985.86. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index (^SPX – News) lost 19.22 points, or 1.49 percent, to 1,267.72. The Nasdaq Composite Index (Nasdaq:^IXIC – News) fell 37.27 points, or 1.36 percent, to 2,707.34.

(Reporting by Chuck Mikolajczak; Editing by Kenneth Barry)

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

james23 on August 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Did you watch the video?

idesign on August 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

So anybody who wanted Allen West primaried now must want SP primaried.

Really Right on August 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

No, no, you see.

Palin isn’t really happy with this – she’s just offering tepid support becuase it’s the best thing that could happen considering the circumstances and the GOP’s non-control of two of the three wings of the legislative/executive branches.

She’s just being realistic. Presidential, even.

Those other people like West and John Bolton were just being RINO sellout traitors.

{Admitted troll set to ignore}

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Screw this place.

fossten on August 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Considering that’s not really what happened, I feel pretty good.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM