Palin: House passage of debt deal is a victory for the Tea Party

posted at 12:00 pm on August 2, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It seems to be the new talking point: The deal is a victory for conservatives not because of what it does (which is, not much!), but because it supposedly represents a change in the direction of the debate. Once, Washington discussed what to grow. Now, Washington discusses what to cut. Even former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has echoed the theme — but with qualifications. The Wall Street Journal Washington Wire reports:

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said Monday’s House vote to lift the debt ceiling was a victory for the tea party, proving that conservative activists had shifted the conversation in Washington.

“We shall take this victory and make sure our politicians in office today are learning from this victory,” Ms. Palin said Monday night on Fox News, where she is a paid contributor. “It’s not a 100% pure genuine victory. We just handed the most liberal president, I believe, in U.S. history a $2.4 billion debt increase.” …

Ms. Palin didn’t fully embrace the deal, saying she had plenty of problems with the compromise  between the White House and congressional leaders, including Republican House Speaker John Boehner. In the past, the former governor said she was not convinced America would face a default if lawmakers did not raise the debt ceiling by Aug. 2.

Meanwhile, Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), one of the founders of the Tea Party Caucus in Congress (along with GOP presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann), says the deal can’t possibly be touted as a win.

“The Tea Party is not calling this a victory,” Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said today on Fox News. “I’m certainly not.”

It’s perplexing, really — the way so many conservatives changed their minds at the last minute. About a week ago, Palin called for any supposedly small-government freshman who voted for a debt ceiling increase to face a “contested” primary. Now, she’s silent on the subject of the 59 House freshmen who voted for the deal. And what about the 59 freshmen who voted that way in the first place? What accounts for their support? What accounts for Boehner’s comment that he got “98 percent” of what he wanted, when he clearly didn’t?

The effort to spin this compromise as a conservative victory is impressive — and it makes sense. No one wants to declare themselves diminished politically. And this deal enables leadership to tout its ability to garner votes, to prevent default, etc., etc. etc. But it’s still just a political victory. It’s not a solution. And to rest too much on the laurels of maybe-no-tax-hikes and at-least-it’s-not-a-clean-debt-ceiling-increase obscures the distance the country still has to go. Better to stay focused on the facts: The nation is still spending money it doesn’t have (we’re borrowing about $2 million every minute of every day!). The government is still growing (keep in mind the cuts are to increases in spending over the next 10 years).

Here’s the full video of the Palin interview:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

She seems to have taken on Greta’s annoying habit of not completing her sentences because she’s in such a rush to start a new one. It’s as though even she knows what she’s saying is pure babble and can’t wait to get that thought over with and try something new.

MJBrutus on August 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Palin’s being realistic here. She’s a RINO.

The true believers should kick her to the curb.

rickyricardo on August 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM
I don’t know what that means. Any of it.

rrpjr on August 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

What’s a ‘true con’?

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Btw, who cares what Palin says until she declares? For all the hemhawing going on, we are still moving to the left. Y’all just seem programmed to not see the obvious.

$2.4 Trillion more debt. Say it with me. $2.4 TRILLION MORE DEBT. Again. $2.4 TRILLION MORE DEBT.

Now, look at you’re kids picture, if you have any, or your grandkids, and tell yourself again that this is a victory.

$2.4 TRILLION MORE DEBT.

j_galt on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM

We have lots of things in common and I have zero problem with it.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Tina:

Oh, for Pete’s sake. Were you expecting total victory when we only control one house and the other side also has the presidency, even if it’s occupied by a diminished whiner? A political victory is still a victory, and changing the terms of the debate is important groundwork for making real reforms later, in 2013, when I suspect we’ll have the power to do so. The military calls it “shaping the battlefield,” the prep work that makes victory possible. In a recent Examiner article, Michael Barone argued that major changes to national policy require several elections. He’s right. It took the Democrats two elections and a total rout of the Republicans to shove ObamaCare down our throats, and even then they had a devil of a time doing it. We’ll need at least that many to gather the political tools to undo the damage they’ve done. To expect real, substantive spending cuts and entitlement reforms when we only have the House is to grasp at a mirage.

So of course Palin is being pragmatic: before the vote, she was a coach encouraging her team to get as much as possible. Now that they have, she’s ready to bank that and head into the second half. And that’s what we should be doing, too, not complaining that we didn’t get it all, now.

irishspy on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

They DID stop the Tax hike BS cold….

Did they not?

Did they?

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

We have lots of things in common and I have zero problem with it.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Yeah, I know. I’m just teasing. :D

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

KeepOhioRed on August 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Ditto. This came down to the “Which hill do I want to die on” question. This wasn’t it. More power is needed and while this vote didn’t achieve what we all want, it did do many things to be glad about. The Tea Party was marginalized by the MSM, depicted as extremist crazies or terrorists, but it didn’t work. And deep down, now they know it has far wider appeal than they gave it credit for.
For the very first time, raising the debt ceiling wasn’t just a formality, it cost something, took center stage in the media and drove home how much spending and debt there is. It cost progressives a lot of political clout and for the first time it coupled spending, taxing and debt.
It made Obama look weak.
Sarah Palin is playing this absolutely right. We shouldn’t eat our own. When they clearly demonstrate they aren’t ours, then purge ‘em!

cartooner on August 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

MJBrutus on August 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I think you only hear what you want. She was totally fine to me.

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Let me say, Sarah Palin still wins this whole thing with her comment last week that Obama is now a lame duck President. Once again she galvanized everyone by being willing to say what everyone else was thinking but was too afraid to say.

She has done more to puncture Barack Obama’s air of invincibility that he had coming into office than anyone else. She will never be perfectly right on everything in everyone’s eyes, but we owe her a lot for the great progress we have made up to this point.

rockmom on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

You douchebags that were giving us such a hard time for “worshipping” Sarah Palin are coming down on us now for being critical of her. Douchebaggery abounds…

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Some of the obvious perpetrators are MIA.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I see all the usual trolls are clutching at straws to make her look bad. Good work!

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

What’s a ‘true con’?

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Tell me what you think it means.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I listened to Rand Paul on Mark Levin’s show last night and he was pretty subdued. I think he and Palin are resigned to the fact that it is a done deal and they don’t want a civil war in the Republican ranks that would lead to Obama’s reelection.

I’m getting the same impression about Palin. At least that’s the strategy she chose. Yeah, before the vote it’s great to keep the heat on to shift the debate as much as possible, but when the battle’s over, it’s useless to keep bombing the same target. Time to plan the next move. But I have the feeling that she’s just as pi$$ed as most of us are.

Dongemaharu on August 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

cartooner on August 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Well said!

We have another battle coming up in a month…lets reload!

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

This is just the beginning, folks. Focus on 2012. Get the Keynesians out of office.

John the Libertarian on August 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

They are smokin dollar bills in D.C. right now.

And the Progressive Dems/GOP see one solution to the SUPERCON votes……RAISE TAXES or gut defense (thanks GOP for giving us that choice).

PappyD61 on August 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Look, it’s a Mitt “I vote Present after the fact” Romney supporters meet up…

Palin responded to Greta’s question as Greta worded it. She didn’t deny knowing what was in the bill one moment then quote figures from the same bill the next as Thune did. She didn’t focus only on Defense spending cuts as Grahamnesty did. She didn’t claim to be the TEA Party before there was a TEA Party as Hatch did. Was she as direct in calling the bill a crock of sheeit, as I would’ve liked? Nope…

Gohawgs on August 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Sarah basically echoed what some of us have been attacked mercilessly for. The deal sucks, but realistically, we were never going to get much more.

KeepOhioRed on August 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Bingo. The hardcore TP’ers can whine until they turn blue in the face, but there is a practical limit to the results one can get from controlling 1/2 of one leg of the government.

The real question here is “Is this the best we can do?” Because if it is we might as well waste our breath & money and declare the political process pointless.

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I see all most of the usual trolls Palinstas are clutching at straws to make her look bad like she didn’t utter something they’d have crucified anybody else for. Good work!

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Tell me what you think it means.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

You said it. You define it.

rrpjr on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

2.4 TRILLION MORE DEBT.

j_galt on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

It is 7 trillion. Don’t forget baseline budgeting.

derft on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

The GOP Sarah Palin will betray you.

thebrokenrattle on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

gah, meant “stop wasting”…

Uncle Sams Nephew on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Dongemaharu on August 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Me too. Which is why I am still supporting her as strongly as ever.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Ummm, I asked you first…why can’t you answer?

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

You said it. You define it.

rrpjr on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Tell me what you think it means, and I’ll tell you if you’re right.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Ummm, I asked you first…why can’t you answer?

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I’m asking you to tell me what you think it means.

Do you find it objectionable?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Don’t know where Palin is coming from? The Senate just passed the debt ceiling bill.

The American people are soooo screwed! I heard from one source that this bill will actually allow the debt to rise 10 trillion dollars more over time.

America has no distinctly criminal class………….except Congress!

GFW on August 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Retreat and reload… knowing you’ve bloodied the enemy, and set the ground rules for the upcoming battles.

For some who claim to be Palinistas, you certainly don’t have a very broad understanding of tactics.

Circular firing squads (i.e. primaries) are just one tactic in the playbook…

Remember “Then enemy of my enemy is my friend.”

Obama and the socialist left is the enemy — not Boehner, nor West…

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Tell me what you think it means, and I’ll tell you if you’re right.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

You’re funny.

rrpjr on August 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

not her best interview. I thought she made some good points but I was hoping for more. Didn’t like the healing tone of the itnerview.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Palin: House passage of debt deal is a victory for the Tea Party

See, this is why I back Bachmann over Palin.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

EXACTLY. If Romney or Pawlenty said this, the Palinbots would be frothing at the mouth to attack them. Sarah says it, and they excuse it.

KeepOhioRed on August 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I didn’t see Romney or Pawlenty at too many Tea Party events. Yup, I’ll excuse her trying to put a good spin on this for her base.

No holds barred. I don’t expect perfection. I want her to be my next president.

Remember the Alamo? Look what happens when we don’t reinforce and support our fighters and instead isolate them at the farthest outposts. Not again. She has my support. We need a warrior in the White House. She’s it.

Call me names, try to dampen my spirits, try to discourage me. It ain’t gonna happen. I’m committed to the cause. Win many more for the Gipper! Full speed ahead to 2012. Lead, follow or get out of the way. lol Watch out! I’m on a roll!

Seriously.

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Tell me what you think it means, and I’ll tell you if you’re right.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Lame and totally dishonest form of dialogue.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Do you find it objectionable?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

You’re such a tool.

j_galt on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Stock market is tanking down 143 pts

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Someone else posted this and I think it bears repeating

Palin gear is selling more (by far) than any of the
Seven Plus Dwarfs combined….and she hasn’t announced
(yet, hopefully).

Amjean on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

It is 7 trillion. Don’t forget baseline budgeting.

derft on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

True.

j_galt on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Ditto. This came down to the “Which hill do I want to die on” question.

Puleeeeez. That’s exactly what we heard last April when the promised $100 billion in cuts was “compromised” down to a couple of hundred million. At the time we heard, “This isn’t the real battle. The real battle will be over the debt limit extension coming up. That’s when you’ll see the Pubs flex their muscles and show those who voted the house majority in just what they are made of. We’ll see real cuts then. blah, blah, blah.” Aint never gonna happen, no matter who is in charge.

tommyboy on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Palin: House passage of debt deal is a victory for the Tea Party

See, this is why I back Bachmann over Palin.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Considering that’s a mischaracterization of her position, would you care to rethink your distaste for Palin?

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Maybe you should know…insulting your fellows gets you nothing. There are actual lefties you should reserve that for….

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

cartooner on August 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Exactly…

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I listened to the interview and Governor Palin is impressive. She was pragmatic to a point but still expressed the disappointment felt by a lot of conservatives.

She knows that this is a step forward to the 2012 election and appears to be the one who can expresss the goals of comservatives for the future. The TEA party has made it’s presence felt and I am now convinced that Palin is the one that would be most effective in carrying their message.

Vince on August 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Stock market is tanking down 143 pts

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I can feel the victory! /s

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Well, we certainly do know how she reacts when in crisis mode, don’t we?

KingGold on August 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Senate passes bill.

Obama gets everything he wants (including a pass through 2012) and the market responds.

PappyD61 on August 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

The heartburn of RINOS is truly funny to watch. Are you going to use this to driver a wedge between her tea party supporters and herself?

We always knew that she’d have to move to center sooner or later. She’s trying to get a mandate to govern, not rabble rouse.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM

irishspy on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

The GOP has NEVER reversed the tide, no matter how much power it held.

This isn’t a pendulum that swings back and forth.

It’s a RATCHETING NOOSE.

Face it – we now live in an OCCUPIED COUNTRY.

The sooner you realize that, the better off you’ll be.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

unseen, believe me….there WILL be more.
The calm before the storm baby, the calm before the storm.

tencole on August 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Do you find it objectionable?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Yes, that is an insult.

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM

After all….she will be President of ALL the people, not just the Tea Partiers.

tencole on August 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

OK — now that this debt/spending issue has been brought to the forefront:

1. How do we keep media attention on it? Rather than O’bama’s birthday bash or some other Paris Hilton-level story…

2. What solutions do we present?

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

See, this is why I back Bachmann over Palin.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I assure you, Michele Bachmann doesn’t view this as a victory, as evidenced by her vote on it.

Of course, you could say the same of Dr. Paul.

JohnGalt23 on August 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Palin: House passage of debt deal is a victory for the Tea Party

See, this is why I back Bachmann over Palin.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Tina’s headline twists Palin’s position.

If you watch the video, Greta sets it up by saying it’s a victory and tosses it over to Palin. Palin says it’s a victory in that the Tea Party was able to frame the debate, but that’s about it, and we still have a ton of work to do.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice if the Tea Partiers were concerned with a mandate to govern?

But I also thought that she was here to shake up the establishment…right?

Pick one.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Vince on August 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

And in 2012 when the GOP caves again, you’ll say, “Hey, we’re playing the long game. The real battle is the 2014 midterms.”

And in 2014, after yet another cave by the GOP, you’ll say, “Well, it was the best we could do under the circumstances. We have to move on and focus on 2068.”

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

You said it. You define it.

rrpjr on August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Tell me what you think it means, and I’ll tell you if you’re right.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

What a stupid debating tactic.

Aitch748 on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

OK — now that this debt/spending issue has been brought to the forefront:

We don’t. The best we can do is to exercise the power that we have in the alternative media.

2. What solutions do we present?

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Following the constitution in its original intent would be a good way to go.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Well, we certainly do know how she reacts when in crisis mode, don’t we?

KingGold on August 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Yes. She reloads.

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I think part of her reserve maybe up to the fact that now she knows that she can’t trust the tea party types any more then the establishment. There’s no point in getting yourself branded as an extremist, trying hard to build this influential block and use her influence to bring these outsiders into power and see them bolt and become establishment shills at the first opportunity.

There’s no point in becoming a populist general and provide the rhetorical heat when your troops have decamped to the other line. She’s recalibrating and I am waiting to see what her next strategy is.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Stock market is tanking down 143
unseen on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Obama questions the timing.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

We keep the attention on it by avoiding talk about abortion, creationism, prayer in schools and the other social issues that have nothing to do with why we’re in such trouble.

The most important part of a solution that we should all agree to on our side is a flat income tax or as flat as we can make it and lower corporate taxes.

MJBrutus on August 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

But I also thought that she was here to shake up the establishment…right?

Pick one.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

False choice fail.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

unseen, believe me….there WILL be more.
The calm before the storm baby, the calm before the storm.

tencole on August 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

agreed. from some of the comments on this thread it appears Palin reached out past her base and got some people that don’t agree with her at times to give her another look.

of course the haters are unreachable but I see some posters that haven’t been real supportive of Palin giving her kudos on the interview.

So If that was Gov Palin’s plan it worked.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

irishspy on August 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

The GOP has NEVER reversed the tide, no matter how much power it held.

This isn’t a pendulum that swings back and forth.

It’s a RATCHETING NOOSE.

Face it – we now live in an OCCUPIED COUNTRY.

The sooner you realize that, the better off you’ll be.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I call BS on this one. If Newt & gang had not throttled Clinton and the Dems:

1. We would’ve had Hillary-care many years ago

2. Clinton’s administration would not have posted the only budget surplus in many, many years…

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Oh, I’m for as much coverage of the obamanation’s bd party, 35k/person din din, golf outings, etc. juxtaposed against the Dow falling, the revised and lowered GDP #’s, the increasing unemployment numbers…

Gohawgs on August 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

“I think she’s being realistic. The Tea Party serves as an ideological movement, and that is what they need to be. At the same time, even Tea Party politicians need to work within realistic expectations. There’s a reason people roll their eyes at Ron Paul’s ideas about closing all overseas bases, dismantling the IRS/Dept of Education/Dept of Homeland Security, etc.
Ideology must guide us, not restrict us. We still have to make a play with the cards we have, otherwise we lose everything we’ve wagered. Palin, I think, understands this…. “

MadisonConservative on August 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

“Had it not been for pressure from the Tea Party I can only imagine what McConnell and Boehner would have given up. The two senators leading the fight – Marco Rubio and Rand Paul – wouldn’t be in the senate if the GOP establishment had its way.”
bw222 on August 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM
“We did affect the direction of the conversation/debate but we Hobbits are outnumbered right now. It’s more important to win the presidency and the Senate in 2012 with fiscally conservative candidates and add more to the House.”
Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Come on people, this crap situation our country is in didn’t happen in a day and it’s not going to be fixed in a day. This is an early skirmish in a long war.
Changing the national conversation from a “clean bill” to increase the debt limit along with more revenues from the “millionaires and billionaires” to an increase (that may be needed to avoid default, who knows?) with strings attached is a victory, albeit a small one.
What we should have learned is that we can’t give up. We need more Tea Party “terrorists” to affect Congress’ thinking in the longer run. Don’t give up. Don’t diminish what we’ve achieved. Instead, resolve to work harder and longer to add more TP terrorists to the Congress so that future skirmishes also can be won. And one day we’ll have our country back.

mike in NV on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Tina’s headline twists Palin’s position.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Tina totally set this up. Still, several times, Palin uses the word victory. It’s clear she doesn’t view this as much of a victory but she’s attempting to save some sort of TP face. I would probably have respected her more if she had simply pointed out that it is not a victory for the TP and the only good thing coming out of this is the fact that Obama, Harry, and Nancy can’t jam socialism down our throats.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

But I also thought that she was here to shake up the establishment…right?

Pick one.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Why? They are not mutually exclusive.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

FEARLESS……….CONSERVATIVE

THAT is what we need to defeat the GOP and Obama in 2012.

PappyD61 on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Several elections from now? We have neither the time nor the money, we’re out of both.

And if those several elections don’t pan out the way they need to, if the ‘rats hold one house or keep the presidency, that strategy falls right into the abyss with everything else.

Bishop on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

What a stupid debating tactic.

Aitch748 on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

That’s Good Lt’s typical style, though. Get used to it.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Obama questions the timing.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

the consumer spending numbers are playing a part no doubt but the fact it broke below 12,000 is a major concern and with the passage of the debt deal not able to rally the market shows the deal isn’t seen as a positive neutral at best a negative at worse.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

But I also thought that she was here to shake up the establishment…right?

Pick one.

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Speaking for myself, my goal is to put a government in place that will abide by our constitution, thus my support for Sarah Palin. Everything else is gravy.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Sarah Palin. Mama Grizzly! Hero of the Tea Party! Able to leap large debt ceilings in a single bound. It’s a bird! It’s a plane! Nope … just another politician who thinks she can fly.

JimmyHuck on August 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I call BS on this one. If Newt & gang had not throttled Clinton and the Dems:

1. We would’ve had Hillary-care many years ago

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Name one Congressional Act that has been repealed in the last 50 years.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Gohawgs on August 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Yes. I want that party in the news front and center. But I don’t think the MSM is going to do it. They’ll do a few obligatory stories but they’ve finally figured out that it it’s damaging him if they play it up.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

You might have a point if there wasn’t a big handful of TP “types” that vehemently opposed this crap sandwich at the risk of being called extremist.

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Well, when you receive a government check long enough, your moral compass gets really fracked up. Free money is a root of many evils. Grandmas and grandpas will sell their grandchildren into slavery for a government check.

j_galt on August 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

j_galt on August 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

My grandparents’ generation never would have done that…but future grandparents? That, I’m not so sure about.

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Tina’s headline twists Palin’s position.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Perhaps so, to an extent. Maybe she didn’t mean it quite like it sounds but the tea party shouldn’t be held to blame for the corrupt process and the sham bill that came out of it in any way. The most the tea party should claim credit for is influencing the debate, but we are not responsible for all the corruption, that is what we are trying to stop.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

The DOTUS crows from the White House……and the Republic slips further into the Financial abyss.

Wonderful, this is how Liberty dies.

PappyD61 on August 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Obama questions the timing.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Obama is worried about how this might affect his party… There will be counter protest “jobs bash” across the street in Chicago.

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Name one Congressional Act that has been repealed in the last 50 years.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

So, that’s your only measure of merit, eh? Or are you just shifting the argument because you know my FACTS outweigh your rants?

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I’m hoping the MSM, Biden and the obamanation won’t be able to help themselves and break into a “victory dance“…

Gohawgs on August 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

MeatHeadinCA on August 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

You know very well that I was referring to Alan West , Renee Ellmers and the sells outs like those.

promachus on August 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

That was what Palin said.

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Oh my, the Palin kids are turning on The Palin.

Moesart on August 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Translation:

I can’t believe it!!Palin supporters are free thinking people who aren’t a CULT.

portlandon on August 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Did anyone really expect it to impact the market? It doesn’t do anything. Changing the conversation is ducky but talk is cheap. I just think it is funny that The Won thought a sell off during the debate would help him. I have to find my entertainment where I can get it these days and his crappy economy isn’t much to laugh at.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Awesome, I hope there are pictures.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Yes, that is an insult.

tinkerthinker on August 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

“True con” is an insult?

I use the term as short hand for those who are unwilling or unable to simply acknowledge political or practical realities in the micro or macro, and are concerned solely with rigid, doctrinaire ideological purity and strict adherence thereto. They also take the extra step of trying to “purge” dissenters, and realists, from their midst. Because, well, they’re no fun – demanding we also consider present political realities like control of the branches of Congress and the White House and all that.

We mock the left for their strict adherence to leftwing political dogma (rightly) and their inability to grasp practical, political (and economic) reality that results from the strict adherence to those principles without compromise.

The right should be better than that, but recently, it has not been better than that. We all have an ideal way in our minds in which the world functions, but most of us are sensible enough to know that reality doesn’t always allow for the perfect execution of ideological imperatives such as NO JUDICIAL ACTIVISM EVER or NO HIGHER TAXES EVER FOR ANYTHING or NO MORE SPENDING. It’s nice to work towards those ideals, but that doesn’t mean that anything less is a world in which we cannot live or bring ourselves to exist in.

Now, if you want to say that you’re a keep of the flame and adhering to your true conservative principles, and those shall never be compromised no matter what, then so be it.

But why would you look at that as an insult?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM

well if you listened to the Dc politicans if t he deal wasn’t passed the DOw would have fell off a cliff. So the opposite should be true no?

unseen on August 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

FloatingRock on August 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Yes. That’s what Palin said in the clip.

Missy on August 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

“True con” is an insult?

But why would you look at that as an insult?

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Could it possibly be because that’s the way you mean it?

gryphon202 on August 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

OnlyOrange on August 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Your ‘facts’ are too nuanced to hold up.

How about spending cuts?

Name the last time our budget was actually reduced in size, in the last 50 years.

Name the last time a Federal gun law was repealed.

Name the last Federal Agency that was shrunk or cut, except for the US military.

Name the year our debt was last paid off, and who the President was.

Name the last time a refinery was built in this country.

I can do this all day…

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

That’s Good Lt’s typical style, though. Get used to it.

fossten on August 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

As opposed to foot-stomping, namecalling, swearing and banging the sippy cup on the table.

Screw this place. We had nothing but name calling from RINOs for the last week, telling us we were extremists and crazy for saying that the GOP was selling us out.

And we were right.

And where are the jerkoffs that told us we were crazy?

Where are you a$$holes?

fossten on August 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Good Lt on August 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Remember. We have to slow before we stop. We have to stop before we reverse this situation…

BTW ~ Obama sounds exceptionally wooden today. Has he been replaced with a robot?

Fallon on August 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM