Cain wins Western Conservative Summit straw poll, Perry places second

posted at 2:00 pm on August 1, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Just 508 people voted — and the results typically reflect who gave the best speech at the summit, rather than which candidate voters prefer, but, for what it’s worth, former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain won the Western Conservative summit straw poll this weekend, with 48 percent of the vote. The as-yet-unannounced Gov. Rick Perry (Tex.) took second, with 13 percent. Both Cain and Perry delivered speeches at the three-day event.

No surprise, really: Cain does nothing so well as he delivers a rousing speech that spotlights conservative principles. That reminds me why I actually think the 2012 GOP field is quite strong, conventional wisdom notwithstanding. Even the non-principal players are positive spokespeople for the ideas of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, etc., etc.

Cain, in particular, is a persistent messenger for the conservative cause — and his persistence has paid off somewhat, with at least one pundit recommending that voters give him a second glance. He ran into hot water with his comments about whether he would feel comfortable appointing a Muslim to his Cabinet if he were president — but he has since apologized.

Not saying he’ll be the nominee or anything, but he’s still out there, making the race more competitive, and that can only help the eventual GOP candidate, whoever he or she might be.

Comments

The latter was his mistake, not the former.

fossten on August 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

with at least one pundit recommending that voters give him a second glance.

Appealing to the idiot vote?

MeatHeadinCA on August 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM

We can do better.

a capella on August 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Cain is wrong as often as he is right. In no way did he prepare to run for president.

huckleberryfriend on August 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Not qualified.

paul1149 on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Cain is more than the CEO of Godfather’s pizza…To list one other “job”, he was a former deputy chair and then chair or the board of directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City…

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Sends tingles down my leg!

MeatHeadinCA on August 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I really like Cain and at first he could have gotten my vote. Things changed my view, not the rop type business because I agree with him, just other things. I don’t think he can win, but I wish him luck with his campaign.
L

letget on August 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I want a deep dish Supreme, hold the Peppers and a 2 liter of root beer.

portlandon on August 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Sends tingles down my leg!

MeatHeadinCA on August 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I didn’t know your name was Chris…Not the point, no one would refer to Palin only as a former Mayor or Bachmann as a tax atty…

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I’m a big Cain fan, but I’m not wedded to him or anything. I just think that the main problem with DC is that it is full of politicians. Cain’s only major gaffe (the muslim one) was only a gaffe because it isn’t “politically correct”.

I’m just as tired of political correctness as I am of politicians.

Mord on August 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

huckleberryfriend on August 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

The shallow among us are drawn to charisma rather than substance.

itsnotaboutme on August 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Cain delivers a great speech. He needs to be appointed Secretary of Commerce by Madam President.

Fallon on August 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM

The shallow among us are drawn to charisma rather than substance.

itsnotaboutme on August 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Unlike others who like beach footwear so much they look for that in the candidate(s) they support…

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Cain is disqualified because he advocated government suppression of the practice of a certain religion.

Way, WAY, outside the Constitution.

Bat Chain Puller on August 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Color me less than impressed.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Not qualified.

paul1149 on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

TheQuestion on August 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I want a deep dish Supreme, hold the Peppers and a 2 liter of root beer.

portlandon on August 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

OK. That was funny.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Color me less than impressed.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Color?

Read my follow up to Meaty @2:11…

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

He also is clueless about foreign policy, rendering him utterly unqualified to be President during a time of war.

TheQuestion on August 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM

TheQuestion on August 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Maybe so. I’m not a Cain supporter. Just a non-supporter of double standards for describing some candidates…

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Color me less than impressed.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

A Ronulan who doesn’t support a former chair of the BoD of a branch of the FED?
Get AWOUT!
///

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I don’t see how Cain is any less qualified to be POTUS than any of our other declared candidates. The only “disqualification” is that he has never held public office. Well, so what??

I consider that a good thing. How many tea-party Reps are sitting in congress right now, simply because they have never held public office and were able to convince voters that they could do better? I honestly think that real-world experience would serve us better than political experience….”politics” is basically the business of self-promotion.

Mord on August 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

The way Cain is labeled tends to reveal the views of the writer.

slickwillie2001 on August 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I’m just as tired of political correctness as I am of politicians.

Mord on August 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

It was constitutionally incorrect too.

lexhamfox on August 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM

ugh
Pass

james23 on August 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM

The shallow among us are drawn to charisma rather than substance.

itsnotaboutme on August 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

That’s what was said about Reagan in 1980.

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

The only “disqualification” is that he has never held public office

The only one, huh? Nothing else?

OK then.

Bat Chain Puller on August 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

How is hey any less qualified that the current occupant in our White House. By this time next year I expect the economy to be so frigged up that we will be able to run “Scruffy the dog” and win!

Scorched_Earth on August 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM

*How is “he” any less that is…

Scorched_Earth on August 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Fallon on August 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM

And ordered to have the department totally dismantled in 4 years.

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

That’s what was said about Reagan in 1980.

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

And Obama, in some circles.

a capella on August 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM

No reflection on our other bloggers but is Mr. Morrissey okay?

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM

A Ronulan who doesn’t support a former chair of the BoD of a branch of the FED?
Get AWOUT!
///

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM

What can I say… I don’t stand with the Fed or any other counterfeiters.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Gohawgs on August 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

..I don’t get it.

The War Planner on August 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I love Cain. If nothing else, he is not a Washington insider, not a politician, and not a bag of PC taking points. If he was to become President you can bet he would make common sense changes to government no career politician would even consider.

As a businessman he would bring a level of straight forward wisdom on economics that we havent seen in Washington since Reagan.

His missteps are typical of someone new to the political “game” and if that disqualifies him, we will never be able to elect anyone but highly polished political products that say all the right things but mean none of it…..a la Barack Obama.

Lets keep our eye on Cain and see if he continues to grow as a candidate. I think we could do a heck of a lot worse than Herman Cain.

We must nominate a real conservative in 2012, I have little doubt Cain is one.

alecj on August 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM

We must nominate a real conservative in 2012, I have little doubt Cain is one.

alecj on August 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Perry’s conservative. Bachmann’s conservative. Palin’s conservative. Santorum’s conservative…need I go on?

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

you mean there’s more?

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Sorry, but one hope and change african american candidate in my lifetime is enough. The fact that 90 percent of african americans still support B.O. to me means there are no real conservatives in that ethnic group. And we don’t need another on the job trainee in the Presidency, or affirmative action President who gives a good speech, but without any tested convictions. Will he fold when push comes to shove in the hottest kitchen in the world? Cain and his supporters may pooh pooh political experience, but it does provide a measure of how the rubber meets the road in potential nominees.

eaglewingz08 on August 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM

The War Planner on August 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Flip Flopper.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Perry and Palin are not in the race at this time. And Bachman is part of the DC political machine. If Perry or Palin jump in or both….then we can see. But until then I like Cain because he is not part of the DC crooks who have become drunk from the Potomac booze.

Scorched_Earth on August 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Jesus, Mary and Joseph!!!

We are electing a president, a leader with conservative
principles who cannot be bought off by any special interest group or political party, not a speech giver.

When I voted in the current poll for my preferred candidate for president I then turned to the next question – “Who is
your second choice for president”. I quickly realized that there needed to be another category I could check off – - “none of the above”.

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM

LoL

I’m waiting for johngalt23 to inform me that I forgot Ron Paul and sheryl to jump on the fact that I…omitted Mitt.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM

So if Palin doesn’t run or doesn’t get the nomination are you going to stomp your feet and stay home?

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 3:01 PM

The shallow among us are drawn to charisma rather than substance.

itsnotaboutme on August 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

That’s what was said about Reagan in 1980.

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Nice comments – now if only the public would study the records of these so called conservatives, see if they
walk the talk, or just give photo ops and flap their jaws.

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM

The latter was his mistake, not the former.

fossten on August 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Exactly! I so mad at him for that. If he’s not the VP, make him (or Rand Paul or Marco Rubio) the Keynote speaker at the convention.

SouthernGent on August 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I have been holding my nose and voting repub since I could
vote (other than Reagan). I don’t plan on changing. Until then I will continue to
research the candidates’ records. If I find someone who
is a better leader and has a better record than Palin I will let you know. I am one of those who actually research
and don’t make decisions based on emotion.

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

alecj on August 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Cain on Palestinian right of return

a capella on August 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM

And ordered to have the department totally dismantled in 4 years.

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

There a saying in business, “If you can eliminate your own job, you will never be without one.”

Fallon on August 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Is canopfor still missing? Are people going Galt?

Fallon on August 1, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I’m a Perry supporter. I think that BY FAR he is the most qualified of the likelies/declareds. THAT SAID-if he doesn’t run or doesn’t get the nomination…unless the nominee is someone along the lines of Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee…I’ll vote republican.
The enemy isn’t the GOP-it’s Zero-and if you stay home in a tantrum because your girl isn’t getting to shoot for the brass ring..The nation will lose and Obama will win….just because you and yours want to teach the GOP a ‘lesson’.
That might be what you want-but it sure the %^&* isn’t what I want for my son and future grandchildren!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Is canopfor still missing? Are people going Galt?

Fallon on August 1, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I’m getting concerned too.We need to end out Dudley Do-right on a search and rescue mission.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Scorched_Earth on August 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Scruffy for Prez!

Phydeaux for V.P.!

GrannyDee on August 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Fallon on August 1, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Yep, still missing. kingjester tried to email him and it was returned, so hawkdriver sent him one. When he emailed me last he had not heard back.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM

huckleberryfriend on August 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Not qualified.

paul1149 on August 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Agreed.

Jaibones on August 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

You are showing your dumbass credentials once again – I never said any such thing about “teaching the GOP a ‘lesson’.” I also never said anything about not voting.

Amjean on August 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Cain’s campaign is chock full of amateurs. It’s a mess. This is what happens when you do not have experienced campaign staff.

Kermit on August 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM

The shallow among us are drawn to charisma rather than substance.

itsnotaboutme on August 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

That’s what was said about Reagan in 1980.

cartooner on August 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Reagan had been a very good governor of our most populous state in 1980.
Cain was good at selling pizzas.

itsnotaboutme on August 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Reagan had been a very good governor of our most populous state in 1980.
Cain was good at selling pizzas.

itsnotaboutme on August 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Herman’s made an important contribution to the race. To dismiss him as “good at selling pizzas” indicates what a clueless loser you are. What the hell are you doing at a conservative blog spewing venom like that against a seriously accomplished business executive?

He’s totally right about tax cuts. He’s totally right about Fed policy vs. the loons in the Ron Paul Octogon. He’s 400% smarter than the a*hole in the White House.

Stop your lies, It’s obviously ALL ABOUT YOU! Jerk.

rcl on August 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Kermit on August 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Golly, all those pros on the McCain campaign did so much better!

What the hell is wrong with you people? If you want real citizen government you’re going to have to stop your fixation on the Hollywood / TV glitz bullshit concept of competence. I admit I’m a Perry guy and he’s dialed in but I love Herman’s contribution and fire.

I’m becoming convinced the GOP is such a bunch of gutless losers because they mirror “The Base”. The Pros realize most “conservatives” are as Phony as They Are!

Have a nice day ;-)

rcl on August 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM

You gotta love this man.

No matter what happens, Cain will always have my affection, respect and gratitude.

He’d make a great Pres, just not sure about him as a candidate. VP would be nice.

At the very least he needs to be Secy of Commerce or Secy of the Treasury.

I’d love to see him speak before Congress. He would eat them up if they asked him some loaded stupid question.

Elisa on August 2, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I think the only candidate people here will appreciate is former military officer, who was a Governor, and has ran a large business.

No dirty lawyer backgrounds.

V-rod on August 2, 2011 at 5:48 AM

The only “disqualification” is that he has never held public office
The only one, huh? Nothing else?

OK then.

Bat Chain Puller on August 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Well lets see, we are in a hell of a pickle because there has been NOTHING but people in office that are career politicians. Look where we are now. I submit that his not having held public office makes him uniquely MORE qualified then any one else running.

ColdWarrior57 on August 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM

We have spent way too much time considering government as if it were a business. It isn’t. It’s not present to grow. It’s not present to make a profit. It’s not present to do any of the traditional things businesses do. It is present to protect the people from outsiders, negotiate at a government level with other countries, keep the states from squabbling too much with each other, and pretty much nothing else.

Cain is a really good man. I like what he says. But, the inevitable but after a statement like that, he is the man who tool Godfather’s pizza out of impending dissolution and turned it into a growing money making proposition. That is exactly the opposite of what we need. We need a man who can take something that is too big and dismantling it, downsizing it, without destroying it. Pare it down to its core.

{^_^}