Biden: These Republicans certainly have acted like terrorists; Update: Biden denies

posted at 5:18 pm on August 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

That’s not even the most irritating part of this. What color is the sky in Mike Doyle’s world, where a “big” debt-ceiling deal that ensures we’ll incur another $6 trillion in debt over the next 10 years has made it “impossible to spend any money”? Let those words echo in your ears while you absorb this truth: The Democrats will never, ever agree to the sort of entitlement reform needed to solve a Greece scenario until a Greece scenario is upon us. It’s really that simple.

But, see, you’re the terrorist.

“We have negotiated with terrorists,” an angry [Rep. Mike] Doyle said, according to sources in the room. “This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”

Biden, driven by his Democratic allies’ misgivings about the debt-limit deal, responded: “They have acted like terrorists,” according to several sources in the room.

Earlier in the day, Biden told Senate Democrats that Republican leaders have “guns to their heads” in trying to negotiate deals…

“They have no compunction about blowing up the economy to get what they want,” Doyle told POLITICO after the meeting.

At least he’s consistent. All along, the left has solemnly assured us that no policy goal, however well intended and dearly held, was worth threatening a default over. To play games with the debt ceiling and risk a global financial meltdown was the definition of irresponsibility, especially with the recovery so fragile and sluggish. And in the end, the GOP agreed: Even conservatives as stalwart as Allen West signed on to a compromise in the name of solving this before the August 2nd deadline. It was the one element of this endless standoff on which the bulk of both sides agreed.

Which is why it would take a very special, very shameless left-wing hack indeed to reverse himself at the eleventh hour and conclude that some policy goals are in fact worth risking a default over. Luckily, I know just the guy:

I guess I have to be explicit at this point: yes, I would vote no.

What about the catastrophe that would result? Several thoughts.

First, what I keep hearing from people who should know is that Treasury won’t actually run out of cash tomorrow, that it still has a few more days.

Second, the people who claim that terrible things would immediately happen in the markets also claimed that there would be a big relief rally once a deal was struck. Not so much: the Dow is down 121 right now.

Third, the idea that a temporary disruption would permanently damage faith in US institutions now seems moot; if you haven’t already lost faith in US institutions, you’re not paying attention.

No tea-party opponent of Boehner’s deal could put it any better. Krugman concludes by encouraging The One to use his “legal options,” which I assume is a reference to the sort of Fourteenth Amendment unilateralism on the debt ceiling that even liberal all-star law prof Laurence Tribe has dismissed out of hand. Follow the last link and read his op-ed in case you missed it last month; it’s admirably clear-eyed about the chaos that move would have caused, from creating a “legal cloud” over new Treasury securities issued on Obama’s order to raising profound constitutional questions about what else a president can do when he feels he needs to act to head off an “emergency.” No wonder Obama refused the Fourteenth Amendment option repeatedly. And yet, and yet

Rep. DeFazio says Biden told House Dems, if all else had failed, Obama was willing to invoke the 14th Amendment.

Consider it “counterterrorism,” I guess.

Update: “Obama’s Arizona ‘civility speech’ is meaningless if his VP can call opponents terrorists.”

Update: “I’m sure that if Dick Cheney had used the phrase ‘terrorists’ to describe his domestic opponents we’d all just have a good laugh.”

Update: Remember, Politico cited “several sources” — Democratic sources — for the quote. Here’s the obligatory denial:

“I did not use the terrorism word,” Biden told CBS Evening News anchor and managing editor Scott Pelley…

“What happened was there were some people who said they felt like they were being held hostage by terrorists,” he said. “I never said that they were terrorists or weren’t terrorists, I just let them vent.”

Added Biden: “I said even if that were the case, what’s been happening when you now have taken and paid the debt and move that down so we can now discuss, the nuclear weapon’s been taken out of anyone’s hands.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If the Tea party are terrorists why hasn’t Obama bowed to our King Rubio?
…why isn’t Eric Holder(D)’s law firm representing us Pro Bono?
…if the Tea Party are terrorists how come the ATF isn’t selling us guns?

DANEgerus on August 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM

What! In what way is getting a credit limit increase “paying the dept” The debt deal doesn’t even “cut” spending it only (non-bindingly) cut the rate of increases. No money is going to the dept none at all, we only (on paper)slowed down the shovel.

Gwillie on August 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM

the nuclear weapon’s been taken out of anyone’s hands.”

Oh, well that’s a lot better…what an idiot…

right2bright on August 1, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I predict there will come a time when calling someone a “terrorist” will be the equivalent of breaking Godwin’s Law by calling someone a Nazi.

Lily on August 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM

If this is his denial lingo…ok, then.

[Schadenfreude on August 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM]

Nothing like your denial being, “I didn’t call these terrorists, terrorists!”

Dusty on August 1, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Biden wouldn’t lie.

leftnomore on August 1, 2011 at 6:16 PM

If the Tea party are terrorists why hasn’t Obama bowed to our King Rubio?
…why isn’t Eric Holder(D)’s law firm representing us Pro Bono?
…if the Tea Party are terrorists how come the ATF isn’t selling us guns?

DANEgerus on August 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Thread win.

Mangy Scot on August 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Who is running against Rep. Mike Doyle (D-PA) in 2012?

Mike Doyle is currently serving his ninth term in Congress representing the 14th District of Pennsylvania, which includes the city of Pittsburgh as well as communities in the western, southern, and eastern portions of Allegheny County.

Let’s work hard to make sure Rep. Mike Doyle doesn’t have a 10th term in Congress!

wren on August 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Ok, all kidding aside, I want Biden to resign. Today.

Midas on August 1, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I think it’s a fair demand.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I’m going to look pretty stupid wearing a Hobbit costume AND an explosive vest.

Bishop on August 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Pfffffffffishhhhhhhtttt!

Quick, someone fax this off to ramirez ASAP! The mental image is priceless!

Archimedes on August 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM

All the Dem’s got the same taking point of hostages etc. of the GOP and good old Joe screwed it up when off the center for American progress focused grouped agreed upon talking point.

tjexcite on August 1, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I’m not sure who or what the Tea Party is. Can Joe Biden or any of the liberal talking heads (and some so-called conservatives like John McCain) identify its members? Do they know who they are calling terrorists, extortionists, hijackers, and all the other names they are calling them?

I know there are self-appointed spokesmen and women who claim to be the voice of the Tea Party but I’ve not seen any figures of how many people the Tea Party consists of; do they have a headquarters like the Dems and Repubs? Is there a box on a form at polling places where you can check your party affiliation that says Tea Party?

I do know that there is a large group of citizens throughout the United States like me who are for small government, lower taxes, less spending, fewer regulations, and are sick of the clowns who put us in the messes we’re in and then claim they are fighting to eliminate the mess they made. These people are sitting at home shaking their heads (and fists) at the spectacle they see every day on the news and read in the newspapers quietly waiting for the time they can vote these business as usual politicians out of office.

I for one, don’t recall nominating anyone to be my spokesman nor did I join any group or club called the Tea Party. But I do know that those like Joe Biden and his ilk who keep calling people like me unpatriotic idiots and terrorists do create a resolve in me to do everything I can to vote these people out of office. And yes, these liberal jerks are directing their attacks toward everyday citizens who are sick of the partisanship and political games they continue to play on the taxpayer’s dime.

We have long memories and will remember the disgusting rhetoric and vitriol they are directing toward a sizeable number of people in this country.

iamsaved on August 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM

It was always meaningless. Pull your head out of your Wasserman-Shultz if you think/thought otherwise.

SuperCool on August 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM

wren: I may be living in Pittsburgh in time for the elections next year. If so, I certainly won’t be casting a vote for Doyle.

Scott H on August 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM

the nuclear weapon’s been taken out of anyone’s hands.”

Unfortunately, they’re still in Obama’s hands. And what are the chances he’d rather use them against conservative Americans before using them against America’s enemies? Oop’s…same difference to the lefties.

chickasaw42 on August 1, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Obama and his gang think politically active conservative Americans are TERRORISTS…

But actual Islamo-fascist murderers who actually decapitate, bomb, and shoot Americans?

Nah — they’re just Man Caused Disasterists.

Jack Bauer on August 1, 2011 at 6:54 PM

But don’t you dare call Major Hasan a terrorist. He was just a lone nut.

slickwillie2001 on August 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I prefer being called Wolverine.

bloviator on August 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Scott H on August 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Scott H. – I hope the Republican Party Central Committee in Pittsburgh is working hard to find a candidate that you can enthusiastically vote FOR when you get to Pittsburgh!

We need good candidates to run against Democrats like Rep. Mike Doyle, who need to be voted out of office!

And since it takes time to ramp up a campaign, candidates really need to be preparing for these races NOW!

wren on August 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Should we be allowing brain damaged people to vote on critical legislation?

andy85719 on August 1, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Shouldn’t he have called us perpetrators of man-caused disasters? And isn’t the left always telling us that one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter??

Seriously, though, this is outrageous even for VP Foot-in-mouth. Remember how incensed Democrats would get if they thought someone was impugning their patriotism? What do you suppose would have happened if anyone had called them terrorists?!

We’ve lived through being called racists and Nazis. I suppose we’ll live through this as well. Loved the Matt Walsh Tweet.

SukieTawdry on August 1, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Well, A plagiarizer’s denial is good enough for me.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on August 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM

“I did not use the terrorism word.”

and then,

“..the nuclear weapon’s been taken out of anyone’s hands.”

1. Open Mouth

2. Insert Foot

3. Repeat, as needed.

franksalterego on August 1, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I’ll buy a tie dye t shirt with a peace symbol on it and spray paint a D on it. Democrats; the Party Of Peace.

ProudPalinFan on August 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Terrorists=hobbits?

ProudPalinFan on August 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Speaker Boehner should demand either an apology, or alternatively a resignation, from Biden. I am incensed that these hypocrites preen and posture as the voice of moderation and tolerance, lecture us on what Americans may and may not say, and then spew vicious insults about American citizens who have the temerity to disagree with them.

Dammit, when are we going to throw down the gauntlet on these people who insult those whom they should treat with respect? If they can’t get the concept of respect, maybe we should try the concept of fearing for their jobs.

drunyan8315 on August 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM

“Dammit, I want some butts!”

Air Boss, “Top Gun”

drunyan8315 on August 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM

For the first time in all of this nightmare since the 2008 election, I cried this evening. Over the end of my country, and the blood that will run in the streets. The Orwellian nightmare is upon us.

disa on August 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM

We watched Alice in Wonderland last night, and that made more sense than this does.

disa on August 1, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Terrorists=hobbits?

ProudPalinFan on August 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM

No. Hobbits = terrorists.

Sporty1946 on August 1, 2011 at 8:26 PM

. “This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”

Still funny.

Yep. None./

CW on August 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Just crazy old Joe being crazy and old. Sad thing is, this is his “civil” face.

FalseProfit on August 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM

INCOMPREHENSIBLE …..
Am I to understand that “terrorist” is the new “racist” or is it the new “ni99er”? In either case, the hate from the Democrat politicians flows to the surface like magma from a volcanic caldera whenever conservative action and principles are concerned, so our beloved media of all liberal stripes and one-way-of-thought propaganda will normalize this garbage sewerage in no time at all.

ExpressoBold on August 1, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Got it!
Biden doesn’t think their terrorist, he just thinks they have taken a Thermal Nuclear Device and are using that against America!

Got it! Glade he cleared that up!

DSchoen on August 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM

iamsaved on August 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Hard to type while I’m giving you a standing ovation. BRAVO!! Well stated.

greeneyedconservative on August 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM

So: Republicans have acted like terrorists.

And: Democrats throw tantrums when they don’t get their way.

(Don’t these pesky Republicans realize that they were supposed to cave weeks ago.)

The Rock on August 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I demand DRUG TESTING in DC– from staffers up to the frikkin Prez…or should I just shut up and have another Grey Goose and watch Sons Of Guns?

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on August 2, 2011 at 12:18 AM

This just demonstrates the the complete disregard the Democrats hold towards an American public that disagrees with them.

zoyclem on August 2, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Well, it certainly is good to see, once again, leftist/Marxist trash in America utter the “t” word.

MNHawk on August 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM

risk a global financial meltdown

How is it that we let these financially useless people represent us?

Pablo Snooze on August 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Should we be allowing brain damaged people to vote on critical legislation?

No, but we can’t just abolish Congress.

stevehorth on August 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Sarah Palin: “Heck, If We Were Real Terrorists Barack Obama Would Want to Pal Around With Us” (Video)
Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, August 2, 2011, 8:21 PM

Sarah Palin commented on Joe Biden’s terrorist remarks tonight with Sean Hannity,
“Heck if we were real terrorists Barack Obama would want to pal around with us.”

ted c on August 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM